PDA

View Full Version : A thought on V. Cruz.

RagTime Blue
06-23-2012, 02:47 PM
I was just thinking how it's strange that the vibe around here seems to be that now defenses will know how to play #80, and he won't have seasons like 2011-2012 again. Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I think those are the sentiments around here

I don't read every thread, but I've never heard someone say that he just might get much, MUCH better.

How many players can you think of who had their best season in the one where they become a starter (four games into the season)?

What do you all think. . .could the ceiling for Cruz be much higher than many of us believe?

BlueReign
06-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I think he will be around the same. He doesn't do anything special that defenses need to gameplan for, he's just shifty and quick

NWKEffectElement
06-23-2012, 03:28 PM
I doubt he hits the same yard # mark, only because the Defences gameplanning for him. Not because him being a one yr wonder. He will most likely pass 1000 yrds again.

giantsfan420
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
i see what the OP is thinking and agree.

people, ya know why cruz should be able to perform at the level he did last season consistently? two words: hakeem nicks.

as long as he's lining up, and demanding double teams bc of his own play, cruz will reap the benefits.
when teams switch and double cruz, nicks will reap the benefits.

i will say this, nicks gets his, double covered or not. hopefully thats the same for cruz...

Captain Chaos
06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
I would look at what he did in the playoffs to see what will happen when teams start paying attention. I think that you'll find that his performance went down, not that it is a bad thing because Nicks performance was sky high. I would say that is what you will see out of him this year...

Joe Morrison
06-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I was just thinking how it's strange that the vibe around here seems to be that now defenses will know how to play #80, and he won't have seasons like 2011-2012 again. Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I think those are the sentiments around here

I don't read every thread, but I've never heard someone say that he just might get much, MUCH better.

How many players can you think of who had their best season in the one where they become a starter (four games into the season)?

What do you all think. . .could the ceiling for Cruz be much higher than many of us believe?
</P>

Kind of like how defenses have adjusted to Wes Welker?</P>

appodictic
06-23-2012, 06:08 PM
I think he is good for a repeat he still had a big playoffs it is just that Nicks had an incredible playoffs and was able to break off some big ones.

slipknottin
06-23-2012, 06:48 PM
if the giants figure out how to run the ball, Cruz, Nicks, and Eli should all have less yards. And Id be perfectly fine with that.

RoanokeFan
06-23-2012, 07:00 PM
We won't know for sure until we play the games. But I do agree he will get more attention. I also remember Gilbride commenting ab out one of the Dallas game saying Cruz was being triple teamed at times and he still beat them remarking how he'd never seen that before.

It's indisputable that Nicks is better when Cruz is on the field and Cruz is better when Nicks is on the field. You can only defend so much....

Diamondring
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
We won't know for sure until we play the games.* But I do agree he will get more attention.* I also remember Gilbride commenting ab out one of the Dallas game saying Cruz was being triple teamed at times and he still beat them remarking how he'd never seen that before.

It's indisputable that Nicks is better when Cruz is on the field and Cruz is better when Nicks is on the field.** You can only defend so much....
I agree and I bet the other coaches agree that you can only defend so much. Now we have a third option and maybe a fourth and that can spell doom for the other teams. Qbs are known for how fast they can look for open receivers and Eli is good and that.

AceOspadZ4
06-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Miles Austin

Toadofsteel
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Cruz and Nicks may be the best tandem in the NFL. You just don't have the personnel to cover both of them without leaving some poor slot corner 1-on-1 against Randle. And if you move your linebackers move into mass coverage or you bring out dime and quarter packages, just dump it off to Wilson.

Yeah, it's going to be a big year all around.

Joe Morrison
06-23-2012, 07:47 PM
How many players can you think of who had their best season in the one where they become a starter (four games into the season)? Miles Austin</P>

Steve Smith, Giants</P>

Neverend
06-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Even if cruz gets less yards, I don't think that alone is a good measure of his effectiveness next year

I don't see much flaws in his game really. You have to thoroughly nit-pick to find bad things about him. I don't agree with roddy white at all. if defenses figured him out theyd have done it late in the year and into the playoffs

double teaming him in the slot is the only major thing I see slowing him down.

RoanokeFan
06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
We won't know for sure until we play the games. But I do agree he will get more attention. I also remember Gilbride commenting ab out one of the Dallas game saying Cruz was being triple teamed at times and he still beat them remarking how he'd never seen that before.

It's indisputable that Nicks is better when Cruz is on the field and Cruz is better when Nicks is on the field. You can only defend so much....
I agree and I bet the other coaches agree that you can only defend so much. Now we have a third option and maybe a fourth and that can spell doom for the other teams. Qbs are known for how fast they can look for open receivers and Eli is good and that.

If we have a better than average running game, we are going to be lethal.

Diamondring
06-23-2012, 08:23 PM
We won't know for sure until we play the games.* But I do agree he will get more attention.* I also remember Gilbride commenting ab out one of the Dallas game saying Cruz was being triple teamed at times and he still beat them remarking how he'd never seen that before.

It's indisputable that Nicks is better when Cruz is on the field and Cruz is better when Nicks is on the field.** You can only defend so much....

If we have a better than average running game, we are going to be lethal.
You sure aint lyin.

RagTime Blue
06-23-2012, 09:22 PM
How many players can you think of who had their best season in the one where they become a starter (four games into the season)? <font size="6">Miles Austin</font></p>

<font size="6">Steve Smith, Giants</font></p>

Point well taken, but both those guys are young and still active. It's entirely possible their best years are ahead of them.

giantsfan39
06-23-2012, 11:29 PM
No I don't think he will hit 1536 yards. He is no one year wonder but he won't produce like that. he will always be a 1000 to 1200 yard WR imo which considering we have Nicks as well is fine. Very few teams have two 1200 yd WRs.

NY_Eli
06-24-2012, 07:05 AM
As long as defenders "Can't cover no option route all day" (Carlos Rogers, 2012) I think Cruz will have plenty of success in the league.

RoanokeFan
06-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Cruz was pretty well blanketed in the Super Bowl game and he still managed a TD. As long as Nicks and Cruz are healthy and we get a solid # 3 and 4 out of the rotation we'll be fine at WR.

Diamondring
06-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Cruz was pretty well blanketed in the Super Bowl game and he still managed a TD.* As long as Nicks and Cruz are healthy and we get a solid # 3 and 4 out of the rotation we'll be fine at WR.
It is funny how a lot of people don't look at the third and fourth wr to be able to be the number one guy because most of the time, teams don't get third and fourth wrs in the early rounds or are unable to find the high quality in the later rounds.

Yet in our situation, Reese was able to get some good prospects in the early rounds and found one gem in RFA? Now we have a wr core able to play musicle chairs. Get a back who can be one of the big options in the passing game and run well in the running game, our offense would be just like what you have said in your early post on this thread.

NorwoodBlue
06-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I think that Cruz continues to improve, and he will continue to put up good numbers. Ruben Randall may take a few catches from him; but this is a passing league, and it's set up perfectly for the Giants offense. I have a feeling the Nicks, Cruz and Randall trio are going to be even more potent than last year's group. If they get the TE position solidified, and with a back like Wilson getting the ball on third down, this could be a huge year for Eli and the offense. There just aren't enough good DB out there to double cover Nicks, and Cruz without leaving a guy like Randall running loose. I doubt any team in the league wants to see Randall getting room to catch the ball. I think he's the guy that's going to shake defenses up this year. He's too good to be a third receiver and not do a ton of damage.

b_ELI_eve
06-24-2012, 12:18 PM
if the giants figure out how to run the ball, Cruz, Nicks, and Eli should all have less yards. And Id be perfectly fine with that.

I agree. Id rather see Cruz and Nicks with less yards and Bshaw with 1300+ :)