PDA

View Full Version : CAN JASON PIERRE-PAUL BREAK THE SINGLE SEASON SACK RECORD?

RoanokeFan
06-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I didn't see this the day posted so if it's old news, my apologies:

CAN JASON PIERRE-PAUL BREAK THE SINGLE SEASON SACK RECORD? (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/can_jason_pierre_paul_of_the_new_york_giants_break _the_single_season_sack_record/11071766)

"Jason Pierre-Paul (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=jason+pierre+paul&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsp orts.com%2Fminnesota-vikings%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F ) of the <a href="http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants/">New York
Giants</a> is a physical freak. Heís 6í5Ē and 278 pounds. He ran a 4.71
40-yd dash in the combine. In his second year in the league, at 22 years of age,
had 16.5 sacks and was third in the team in tackles. The game that displayed how
talented he may become was the game against the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.rantsports.com/dallas-cowboys/) in <span style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: inherit; FONT-WEIGHT: inherit" id="itxthook0w0" class="itxtrst itxtrstspan itxthookspan">Dallas</span> (#) this
past season. He had eight tackles, two sacks, a forced fumble and blocked what
wouldíve been the game tying field goal to <span style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: inherit; FONT-WEIGHT: inherit" id="itxthook1w0" class="itxtrst itxtrstspan itxthookspan">win</span> (#) the game.
Could he possibly be the guy who breaks Michael Strahan (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=michael+strahan&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantspor ts.com%2Fnew-york-giants%2F&amp;ref=)Ďs single season sack record?

Jared Allen (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=jared+allen&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports.c om%2Fminnesota-vikings%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F ) of the Minnesota Vikings (http://www.rantsports.com/minnesota-vikings/) said today that he thinks he can get
25 sacks in one season. Allen set a career high with 22 last year and fell just
short of the record, so why not him? What about JPP though? Because of the depth
along the Giant defensive line, you canít just key on JPP, because otherwise
Osi Umenyiora (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=osi+umenyiora&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports .com%2Fminnesota-vikings%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F ) or Justin Tuck (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=justin+tuck&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports.c om%2Fminnesota-vikings%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F ) will put your quarterback flat on his back.
JPP is so young and hasnít even tapped into his full potential as to what he can
do yet. 16.5 sacks is a lot, especially for someone in their second year in the
league who hasnít really played a lot of <span style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: inherit; FONT-WEIGHT: inherit" id="itxthook2w0" class="itxtrst itxtrstspan itxthookspan">football</span> (#) in
his life. No itís not Allenís fault that the Vikings line isnít as good as the
Giants. Can you imagine if he had someone like JPP or Tuck lining up on the
opposite side of him?</p>

Iím sure Jason Pierre-Paul would take
about 10-15 more <span style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: inherit; FONT-WEIGHT: inherit" id="itxthook3w0" class="itxtrst itxtrstspan itxthookspan">super</span><span style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: inherit; FONT-WEIGHT: inherit" id="itxthook3w1" class="itxtrst itxtrstspan itxthookspan"> </span><span style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: inherit; FONT-WEIGHT: inherit" id="itxthook3w2" class="itxtrst itxtrstspan itxthookspan">bowl</span> (#) rings
over the sack record. As the 2007 Giants said, it donít mean a thing if you
ainít got that ring. But breaking records are always fun to talk about. With all
due respect to Jared Allen, Iíll take my chances with Pierre-Paul breaking
Strahanís record. It may not be this year, but at some point Pierre-Paul will
come very close and may even do it."</p>

mainegiantsfan
06-24-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm very happy with his all-around game as it is. Certainly he is very capable of breaking all the sack records, and rather he does or not means nothing to me. I see him as a "team first" guy, which could affect his sack totals signigicantly.

NYGRealityCheck
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Yea, that's the biggest thing stopping JPP from setting the sack record: his teammates. The other pass rushers on the team can also get to the QB too.

With the advent of the passing attack in the NFL where more of the offensive playcalling is shifting toward pass plays, Strahan's sack record is bound to fall. It's just a matter of time.

Also, sacking mobile QBs Vick and RG3 is going to be tough when the defense will be geared to contain them from breaking out positive rushing yards. Allen gets to feast on Stafford and Cutler twice a season for crying out loud.

MikeIsaGiant
06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Don't think he'll break the record, but he will have his good amount.

JimC
06-24-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm a Giants fan and really like what JPP brought last year, but he could have just as easily reached his full potential. It just cracks me up that we and others expect for him to keep getting better and that may not be the case at all. I would be totally happy with the same production as last year AND NO INJURY.

bLuereverie
06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I'd rather him break Strahan's team sack records, or Bruce Smith's for that matter. That means plenty of great seasons instead of one monumental one.

NYGRealityCheck
06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I'd rather him break Strahan's team sack records, or Bruce Smith's for that matter. That means plenty of great seasons instead of one monumental one.

With a playe like JPP, you can have both.

gmen46
06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Yea, that's the biggest thing stopping JPP from setting the sack record: his teammates. The other pass rushers on the team can also get to the QB too.

With the advent of the passing attack in the NFL where more of the offensive playcalling is shifting toward pass plays, Strahan's sack record is bound to fall. It's just a matter of time.

Also, sacking mobile QBs Vick and RG3 is going to be tough when the defense will be geared to contain them from breaking out positive rushing yards. Allen gets to feast on Stafford and Cutler twice a season for crying out loud.

Actually, the scrambling, mobile, "running QBs" tend to be sacked more, not less. Probably because this type of QB has the tendency to "extend the play" (ie, something Ben is constantly praised for), and the longer a particular pass play takes to occur, the more likely the QB can be sacked.

Roethlisburger and Romo--not considered as "running" QBs necessarily, like Vick--are especially known for extending plays by very effectively scrambling (being "mobile") around in the backfield. They, on a regular basis, get sacked more than others.

Just this past season, for example, the top 12 most sacked QBs included several of your "mobile" QBs---Roethlisburger, Rodgers, Romo, Newton, Tebow.

Vick's remains a unique style at his position--still, even with Cam in the league--but the Giants have demonstrated in most games vs him (Atlanta and Philly, both) that the key to stopping him relies more on hitting him, knocking him down, even making him cry, more than actual sacks.

bLuereverie
06-24-2012, 02:17 PM

With a playe like JPP, you can have both.

true

TuckYou
06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
This is another reason I'm shocked teams were not interested in Osi. Line him on the other side of Allen and they both dominate.

Jiffy Jeff
06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Abso-smurfly.

gmen46
06-24-2012, 03:13 PM
There's no question in my mind (and a few ex-NFL pass rushers' minds, according to comments on NFL Network) that JPP has a better chance than most currently playing to break the record.

To put him into perspective--and this is no guarantee of the future of course, but is certainly a strong indicator--look at a handful of other elite pass rushers after their respective first 2 years in the league.

Jared Allen = 20 sacks (31 starts)
Demarcus Ware = 19.5 sacks (32 starts)

Mario Williams (debatable, maybe, as to elite, but he WAS #1 Overall Draft Pick in 06 after all, and is paid now as if he were the Best Ever) = 18.5 sacks (32 starts)
--------BTW, Williams has only 22.5 sacks his last THREE years

For laughs, I looked up our favorite 2 HOF / soon-to-be-HOF pass rushers:

Strahan = 5.5 sacks (24 gms / 15 starts)
LT = 17 sacks (assuming 9.5 sacks his rookie year, no record), 25 gms / starts

Pierre-Paul = 21 sacks (32 gms / 12 starts)

Better than all the above consensus elites.

In far fewer starts than any of the above, fewer than half of most of them.

I really don't think I'm going out on a limb here by predicting JPP will definitely break the sack record, and it will within the next 6 years, and it will more than likely be in a season with a mediocre--or worse-- Giants win-loss record.

NYGinIN
06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
If anyone breaks it, I'd love for it to be a Giant

NYGRealityCheck
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Actually, the scrambling, mobile, "running QBs" tend to be sacked more, not less. Probably because this type of QB has the tendency to "extend the play" (ie, something Ben is constantly praised for), and the longer a particular pass play takes to occur, the more likely the QB can be sacked.

Roethlisburger and Romo--not considered as "running" QBs necessarily, like Vick--are especially known for extending plays by very effectively scrambling (being "mobile") around in the backfield. They, on a regular basis, get sacked more than others.

Just this past season, for example, the top 12 most sacked QBs included several of your "mobile" QBs---Roethlisburger, Rodgers, Romo, Newton, Tebow.

Vick's remains a unique style at his position--still, even with Cam in the league--but the Giants have demonstrated in most games vs him (Atlanta and Philly, both) that the key to stopping him relies more on hitting him, knocking him down, even making him cry, more than actual sacks.

I'm just saying it's physically tougher to sack mobile QBs, not less frequent. They may be sacked more, yes.

I don't consider Big Ben a mobile QB, he's just big and hard to take down. I'd put Romo in the agile category.

Rodgers, Newton, Tebow, yes. I'm talking about QBs where there's going to be a decent percentage of offensive plays on the field at any time designed for the QB to rush for yards, not wiggling around and extending broken pass plays. These three QBs just bring in the extra dimension to their offense with their legs.

miked1958
06-24-2012, 07:42 PM
If he keeps improving talents each yr I see no reason why he couldn't reach 25+ at some point

embeshAtYa
06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
No doubt he has a chance and potential to do it and then break it again. I also think a healthy justin tuck could have a chance.

burier
06-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Stra's sack record is toast this year if JPP is healthy.

I expect JPP to actually record closer to 30 than 22 sacks.

he put up 16.5 sacks with minimal effort last season and PF was actually holding him to a pitch count.