PDA

View Full Version : Tom Coughlin Sucks

MikeIsaGiant
06-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Is what I used to say....

After all these years and ****, I can't believe I gave this guy so much crap.

Watching Road to Super Bowl right now and just got to admire Tom Coughlin as a coach.

"I'm old school, don't tell me, show me"

- TC.

Cheers to a great New York Giants coach

RagTime Blue
06-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Did you ever wonder if TC had never been on the hot seat, would the Giants have won any Championships?

He's a great coach. . .a great motivator. . .but even HE needs some motivation from time to time.

Glad we have him, and I'll gladly apply pressure when needed.

Go Giants!!

Diamondring
06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I think I know how to motivate him. If he helps the Giants have big wins, he gets a large sum of money a great big contract. Yet if he doesn't, then he only gets pennies on a dollar.

thomsoad
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Did you ever wonder if TC had never been on the hot seat, would the Giants have won any Championships?

He's a great coach. . .a great motivator. . .but even HE needs some motivation from time to time.

Go Giants!!

Last year was due to us getting players back from injury. The idea that Coughlin only works hard when his job is on the line is kinda laughable in my opinion.

GMENAGAIN
06-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Go Giants!!
Last year was due to us getting players back from injury. The idea that Coughlin only works hard when his job is on the line is kinda laughable in my opinion.</P>

+1</P>

gumby742
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
My only beef with him was that he wasn't optimal. In hands another proven coach, a fresh outlook my be even more effective. I still stand by the thought. 2nd half collapses are still there. But, I'm not exactly complaining. 2 SB wins is 2 SB wins. Can't argue with that.</P>

Edit: What I mean by optimal is that we may not have struggled late in the season or we could have ended up with better regular season records then we had. But, you can't get much more optimal then 2 SB victories. lol</P>

TuckYou
06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
I was on that same boat until we won SB 42. After that, you are solid in my book. After that, I just blamed the coordinators, lol.

burier
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM

Go Giants!!

Last year was due to us getting players back from injury. The idea that Coughlin only works hard when his job is on the line is kinda laughable in my opinion.

Who invented this injury stuff? We hardly got anything back from injury.

But I don't think Coughlin being on the hotseat had anything to do with anything. Every coach is always on the hot seat in the NFL and its not like Tom Coughlin suits up and tackles anything so....

Cool Papa B.
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I like the fact that he was willing to change. Players were complaining about how rigid he was. He created a players committee to address that and he became more approachable and less strict. Not easy for a coach to do.

jimsgints
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Go Giants!!

+1 !

thomsoad
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Go Giants!!

But I don't think Coughlin being on the hotseat had anything to do with anything. Every coach is always on the hot seat in the NFL and its not like Tom Coughlin suits up and tackles anything so....

Taken directly off of Giants Injury Reports from weeks 8-12. All Probables were removed from the list. We can debate Questionables if you like but most are listed as doubtful/out.

Andrews, Stacy
Bradshaw, Ahmad
Hynoski, Henry
Manningham, Mario
Nicks, Hakeem
Pascoe, Bear
Pierre-Paul, Jason
Tuck, Justin
Umenyiora, Osi
Amukamara, Prince
Beatty, Will
Boley, Michael
Bradshaw, Ahmad
Ross, Aaron
McKenzie, Kareem
Ware, D.J.
Boley, Michael
Cruz, Victor
Herzlich, Mark
Rolle, Antrel
Baas, David
Beckum, Travis

I dont know about you but some of these guys I consider more then "anything"

Oh and just for kicks...our NFC Championship and SB reports of questionables/doubtful/out:

Ballard, Jake (in NFC Championship)

gumby742
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM

Go Giants!!
Last year was due to us getting players back from injury. The idea that Coughlin only works hard when his job is on the line is kinda laughable in my opinion. Who invented this injury stuff? We hardly got anything back from injury. But I don't think Coughlin being on the hotseat had anything to do with anything. Every coach is always on the hot seat in the NFL and its not like Tom Coughlin suits up and tackles anything so....</P>

What is with you and slamming our defense? I'm a skeptic of PF and our defense, but dang you take it to another level.</P>

hadenough
06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
I have never been a huge fan of his. He never related to the players well enough. A lot of turmoil early on seemed to be about him and the players....and that's not really a good thing.

But...it's nice to see he has realized this and has tried to change. It's nice to see players respect him and him respect players.

burier
06-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Go Giants!!

Taken directly off of Giants Injury Reports from weeks 8-12. All Probables were removed from the list. We can debate Questionables if you like but most are listed as doubtful/out.

Andrews, Stacy
Bradshaw, Ahmad
Hynoski, Henry
Manningham, Mario
Nicks, Hakeem
Pascoe, Bear
Pierre-Paul, Jason
Tuck, Justin
Umenyiora, Osi
Amukamara, Prince
Beatty, Will
Boley, Michael
Bradshaw, Ahmad
Ross, Aaron
McKenzie, Kareem
Ware, D.J.
Boley, Michael
Cruz, Victor
Herzlich, Mark
Rolle, Antrel
Baas, David
Beckum, Travis

Oh and just for kicks...our NFC Championship and SB reports of questionables/doubtful/out:

The operative word here is BACK. Its not about who shows up on the injury report its about who actually plays. Its football on a given week a team could put 98 percent of the roster of the injury report. But who actually played? Who actually missed time and did we ever actually get them BACK?

How does losing Ballard in the playoffs count as "getting players back?"

Travis Beckum? What did we get back from him?

David Baas? The line played better WITHOUT him in the lineup.

Antrell Rolle? Didn't miss 1 game

Mark Herzlich? The backer corps improved when he went down.

Victor Cruz? Did not miss a game.

Michael Boley: Missed 2 games

DJ Ware????????

Kareem McKensie? Did not miss a game.

Aaron Ross? Did not miss a game.

Ahmad Bradshaw missed 4 games.

Did you put Michael Boley on the list twice to make the list look bigger?

Will Beatty missed 6 games.

Prince was hurt in camp and got toasted when he finnally did get on the field. How does that count as "getting players" back.

Osi? Missed 7 games. The Giants went 4-3 in games Osi missed.

Justin Tuck is a whole other story since he was admittedly dogging it. But did start playing better toward the end of the season so perhaps I'll give you this one.

JPP? did not miss a game.

Bear Pascoe? Did not miss a game.

Hakeem Nicks? Missed 1 game

Mario Manningham? Missed 4 games

Henry Hynoski? Missed 5 games

Ahmad Bradshaw is repeated on this list apparently to lengthen it visually.

Stacy Andrews? Missed 11 games.

You're list actually illustrates how "The D got better because we got healthy" is pure fiction.

Actually going through the list you posted made me realize we were actually more injury plagued ON OFFENSE. which was never the issue.

JimC
06-25-2012, 03:12 PM
I have never been a huge fan of his. He never related to the players well enough. A lot of turmoil early on seemed to be about him and the players....and that's not really a good thing.

But...it's nice to see he has realized this and has tried to change. It's nice to see players respect him and him respect players.

After a coach like Fassel you needed to bring in some discipline. You needed a coach that was going to hold the players accountable. If they were going to play OK, if not he was going to be up their ***. I think he made adjustments where necessary and has gotten results and respect from his players.

burier
06-25-2012, 03:12 PM

Go Giants!!
Last year was due to us getting players back from injury. The idea that Coughlin only works hard when his job is on the line is kinda laughable in my opinion. Who invented this injury stuff? We hardly got anything back from injury. But I don't think Coughlin being on the hotseat had anything to do with anything. Every coach is always on the hot seat in the NFL and its not like Tom Coughlin suits up and tackles anything so....</P>

What is with you and slamming our defense?* I'm a skeptic of PF and our defense, but dang you take it to another level.</P>

Not slamming the defense all but the D was ranked near the bottom of the league but no one is concerned because apparently we couldn't play D because we were SOOOOO INJURED...which just isn't the case.

If you don't count the scrub players who got hurt in camp we seemed to stay pretty healthy last season for an NFL team

miked1958
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Watching Road to Super Bowl right now and just got to admire Tom Coughlin as a coach.

- TC.

Cheers to a great New York Giants coachPlus 1

Drez
06-25-2012, 03:15 PM
The Sacking Wounded

Every team must deal with injuries, but few teams in history have
had to deal with the number of injuries the Giants suffered on defense
this year.

At Football Outsiders, we use a metric called Adjusted Games Lost
(AGL) to determine how severe a team’s injury situation has been. AGL
separates starters and key reserves from subs, so an injury to Umenyiora
or another starter gets more weight than one to some seldom-used
backup.

It also accounts for weeks when a player is listed as “questionable”
or “probable” but still takes the field, so when someone like Tuck
shakes off a toe injury and takes the field in a limited role, it counts
as a partial injury.

AGL is a great argument settler, because it takes conversations past
the “who cares about your whole linebacker corps, we lost our punt
returner” stage.

The Giants are on pace to finish the season with the third-highest
defensive AGL of the last decade, behind only the 2008 Lions (who went
0-16) and the 2009 Bills (who went 6-10 and got their coach fired).
Through Week 14, they lost the equivalent of 58.9 games by starters to
injuries. That means the Giants go into the average game missing four
defensive starters and key reserves.

They have entered some games in far worse shape. Cornerback Corey
Webster and safety Antrel Rolle are the only defenders to start all 15
games. The Giants lost top cornerback Terrell Thomas to an ACL injury in
the middle of training camp. The mix-and-match job at linebacker has
forced special teams ace Chase Blackburn to start a handful of games,
and undrafted rookie Mark Herzlich climbed all the way to the starting
middle linebacker job before suffering an injury of his own.

The front four has been hit as hard as any other unit. Rookie tackle
Marvin Austin was lost in training camp. Tuck and Umenyiora have only
taken a handful of snaps together. The front four has been able to
maintain its high standard of play because Perry Fewell has found
creative ways to use his best players, creating confusion and applying
pass pressure without resorting to rampant blitzing.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45807356/ns/sports-nfl/

thomsoad
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM

Go Giants!!

Andrews, Stacy
Bradshaw, Ahmad
Hynoski, Henry
Manningham, Mario
Nicks, Hakeem
Pascoe, Bear
Pierre-Paul, Jason
Tuck, Justin
Umenyiora, Osi
Amukamara, Prince
Beatty, Will
Boley, Michael
Bradshaw, Ahmad
Ross, Aaron
McKenzie, Kareem
Ware, D.J.
Boley, Michael
Cruz, Victor
Herzlich, Mark
Rolle, Antrel
Baas, David
Beckum, Travis

The operative word here is BACK. Its not about who shows up on the injury report its about who actually plays. Its football on a given week a team could put 98 percent of the roster of the injury report. But who actually played? Who actually missed time and did we ever actually get them BACK?

DJ Ware????????

Prince was hurt in camp and got toasted when he finnally did get on the field. How does that count as "getting players" back.

Justin Tuck is a whole other story since he was admittedly dogging it. But did start playing better toward the end of the season so perhaps I'll give you this one.

You're list actually illustrates how "The D got better because we got healthy" is pure fiction.

Actually going through the list you posted made me realize we were actually more injury plagued ON OFFENSE. which was never the issue.

Burier..it was a simple cut and paste and I took all of 3 seconds with the <Control F> button to remove names that the Giants Injury report put on more then once. I promise it wasnt to "fluff" up the list and I have no reasons to give you a conspiracy theory.

And just because someone was not out does not mean they were effective in the games they played.

The Injury Update list is a requirement of the NFL. Its not optional and it must be accurate. So a player listed as doubtful means they have a significant hamperance to them. Think Gronk in the SB...yeah he played. But I would hardly have considered him 100%...would you?

Also, i must be suffering from blackouts ... so please show me where I said "The D got better because we got healthy". I said WE got healthy... as in offense and defense.

ShakeNBake
06-25-2012, 03:22 PM

Go Giants!!
Last year was due to us getting players back from injury. The idea that Coughlin only works hard when his job is on the line is kinda laughable in my opinion. Who invented this injury stuff? We hardly got anything back from injury. But I don't think Coughlin being on the hotseat had anything to do with anything. Every coach is always on the hot seat in the NFL and its not like Tom Coughlin suits up and tackles anything so....</p>

What is with you and slamming our defense? I'm a skeptic of PF and our defense, but dang you take it to another level.</p>

Not slamming the defense all but the D was ranked near the bottom of the league but no one is concerned because apparently we couldn't play D because we were SOOOOO INJURED...which just isn't the case.

If you don't count the scrub players who got hurt in camp we seemed to stay pretty healthy last season for an NFL team

We had 5-6 starters out on defense for a large chunk of the season, how is that staying pretty healthy?

jakegibbs
06-25-2012, 03:36 PM
(2nd half collapses are still there.)???

You can't say that about last year NO SIR. They had to win the last 2 games just to get in + they won 3/4 down the stretch & counting the playoffs they finished the season 7/8. What kinda callapse do you call that??? hmmmmm.......

buddy33
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
It's a fact that this was one of the hardest hit dfensive units over the past decade. Only 2 teams had I worse. The 0-16 Lions and a very bad Bills team.

Tuck got healthier. Osi got healthier. Those 2 guys alone can change the way a defense plays dramatically. You don't just replace them. Also, because of injury Rolle had to play out of position and because of injury a rookie LB in a lock out season was forced into action early. They tasted the season without 4 of their starters on defense, 2 who would never come back, and the oher 2 that got healthy by he end.

As far as TC goes, he is a great coach.

MikeIsaGiant
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
This thread is exciting!!!

Drez
06-25-2012, 03:52 PM
You don't get out much, do you? [B]

MikeIsaGiant
06-25-2012, 03:55 PM

No :( I work 9-5 in an office punching numbers . Accounting work, gets boring LOL

Drez
06-25-2012, 04:05 PM

No :( I work 9-5 in an office punching numbers . Accounting work, gets boring LOL
http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/o/office-desk-emoticon.gif

gumby742
06-25-2012, 04:44 PM

Go Giants!!

What is with you and slamming our defense? I'm a skeptic of PF and our defense, but dang you take it to another level.</P>

Not slamming the defense all but the D was ranked near the bottom of the league but no one is concerned because apparently we couldn't play D because we were SOOOOO INJURED...which just isn't the case. If you don't count the scrub players who got hurt in camp we seemed to stay pretty healthy last season for an NFL team</P>

Before, I start, let me just say that <U>I'm on your side</U>. I don't believe that injuries was the single biggest reason why our defense was terrible. <U>Anyone who just spits out #'s, citing the amount of injuries</U> as a part of a list as the reason, <U>hasn't really thought it through</U> imo. </P>

However, I do think that <U>there are those who believe in the injury reason, that have a case</U>. You are right in that the majority of our injuries were "scrubs" and depth. Between the beginning and the end of the season, some magical transformation happened. So what changed in that time period?</P>

1) Osi came back.
2) Tuck (arguably) got healthier/played better.
3) Rolle became better adjusted to a different position as time went on.
4) Rookies who were replacements stepped up. JWilliams Prince etc It just took them time to learn. ie replacing Goff and Thomas.
5) Related to #4, Chase B. came on board. It makes sense that our D became instantly better because he knows our system.</P>

Now <U>are these reasons big enough </U>to warrant a bad to good defense differential? I say no. Most say yes. Just something for you to think about. At the end of the day, a defense with Boley, Canty, Webster, Joseph, JPP, KP, Rolle have absolutely no excuse to be ****e. Average fine. But not near the bottom. Just my opinion.</P>

jakegibbs
06-25-2012, 04:46 PM

Go Giants!!

What is with you and slamming our defense?* I'm a skeptic of PF and our defense, but dang you take it to another level.</P>

Not slamming the defense all but the D was ranked near the bottom of the league but no one is concerned because apparently we couldn't play D because we were SOOOOO INJURED...which just isn't the case. If you don't count the scrub players who got hurt in camp we seemed to stay pretty healthy last season for an NFL team</P>

Before, I start, let me just say that <U>I'm on your side</U>.* I don't believe that injuries was the single biggest reason why our defense was terrible.* <U>Anyone who just spits out #'s, citing the amount of injuries</U> as a part of a list as the reason, <U>hasn't really thought it through</U> imo.* </P>

However, I do think that <U>there are those who believe in the injury reason, that have a case</U>.* You are right in that the majority of our injuries were "scrubs" and depth.* Between the beginning and the end of the season, some magical transformation happened.* So what changed in that time period?</P>

1)* Osi came back.
2)* Tuck (arguably) got healthier/played better.
3)* Rolle became better adjusted to a different position as time went on.
4)* Rookies who were replacements stepped up.* JWilliams Prince etc *It just took them time to learn. ie replacing Goff and Thomas.
5)* Related to #4, Chase B. came on board.* It makes sense that our D became instantly better because he knows our system.</P>

Now <U>are these reasons big enough </U>to warrant a bad to good defense differential?* I say no.* Most say yes.* Just something for you to think about. At the end of the day, a defense with Boley, Canty, Webster, Joseph, JPP, KP, Rolle have absolutely no excuse to be ****e.* Average fine.* But not near the bottom.* Just my opinion.</P>

+1 You summed it up quite nicely

burier
06-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Go Giants!!

Andrews, Stacy
Bradshaw, Ahmad
Hynoski, Henry
Manningham, Mario
Nicks, Hakeem
Pascoe, Bear
Pierre-Paul, Jason
Tuck, Justin
Umenyiora, Osi
Amukamara, Prince
Beatty, Will
Boley, Michael
Bradshaw, Ahmad
Ross, Aaron
McKenzie, Kareem
Ware, D.J.
Boley, Michael
Cruz, Victor
Herzlich, Mark
Rolle, Antrel
Baas, David
Beckum, Travis

DJ Ware????????

Burier..it was a simple cut and paste and I took all of 3 seconds with the <Control F> button to remove names that the Giants Injury report put on more then once. I promise it wasnt to "fluff" up the list and I have no reasons to give you a conspiracy theory.

And just because someone was not out does not mean they were effective in the games they played.

The Injury Update list is a requirement of the NFL. Its not optional and it must be accurate. So a player listed as doubtful means they have a significant hamperance to them. Think Gronk in the SB...yeah he played. But I would hardly have considered him 100%...would you?

Also, i must be suffering from blackouts ... so please show me where I said "The D got better because we got healthy". I said WE got healthy... as in offense and defense.

Quick response. Will be more thurough later.

First I'm sorry if I came off like YOU were saying the defense got better due to health. I guess I'm a little touchy on the subject since I keep hearing it (Even in this thread despite the evidence I posted which is maddening.)

But don't you find it interesting that for most of the season the offense seemed to be on point despite some serious injury issues but somehow injuries can be used as an excuse for the defense?

As far as the injury report. I understand its a requirement but...for instance Bill Belichick is known for offering an overly expanded injury report and getting carried away with the doubtfuls. He uses this as tactical advantage.

So if someon is hurt they'll be the report but everyone is hurt. If you're going use the injury report as evidence of our injury problems I'd like to compare ours to other teams.

All that said of the guys who were on the field Justin Tuck is the only player who appeared to be hampered by whatever the injury report said was ailing him. We didn't appear to field any other players who were running around looking like Gronk in the SB.

Cio7760
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM

- TC.

Cheers to a great New York Giants coachFortunately I've always admired Coughlin as a coach...even during the difficult spats. I've always loved his discipline and classiness. But even more so, I admire him for adapting himself to the modern era of coaching without compromising his true standards as a coach. Not many NFL head coaches can say that.

RoanokeFan
06-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Go Giants!!

The only pressure Coughlin needs to worry about is John Mara and there was none and won't be any.