PDA

View Full Version : One major issue on defense

bigblue999
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
One can not overlook the fact that the Giants had the favor of the opposing team's offense dropping many balls. During the playoff run, both in green bay and in the superbowl, if the other team had caught a few of those passes, perhaps the outcome would be far different.

I've expressed my concern that the defense throughout the season did not get sufficient pass rush and whenever we blitzed we had major success.

The Giant's must stick to the blitz - especially kiwi if they are to have a dominant defense.

Fewell's plan of dropping everyone in coverage with only 4 pass rushers will NOT get the job done this year.

PLEASE BRING ON THE BLITZ!!!!!!!!!!!

RoanokeFan
06-28-2012, 02:07 PM
One can not overlook the fact that the Giants had the favor of the opposing team's offense dropping many balls. During the playoff run, both in green bay and in the superbowl, if the other team had caught a few of those passes, perhaps the outcome would be far different.

I've expressed my concern that the defense throughout the season did not get sufficient pass rush and whenever we blitzed we had major success.

The Giant's must stick to the blitz - especially kiwi if they are to have a dominant defense.

Fewell's plan of dropping everyone in coverage with only 4 pass rushers will NOT get the job done this year.

PLEASE BRING ON THE BLITZ!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a hackneyed phrase often heard when a blitz fails; "live by the blitz, die by the blitz." The truth is disruption of the flow of the offense is what works best. Sometimes that means a sack, sometimes a forced fumble, sometimes a pass thrown too soon, and sometimes a ball batted down.

I don't know how you can do better than win the Super Bowl as that's the stated goal for all 32 teams. No team is perfect, some teams win games every year because of the mistakes of their adversaries. I am pretty sure if we looked at our offense we could say the very same thing about a few more passes caught. It all balances out.

buddy33
06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
When they did rush 4 earlier in the season they where not getting pressure because they had 2 top talent DE's hurting or not playing. Add the fact that Webster was their only reliable CB and they had major problems.

As far as the drops, they dominated Green Bay and the only TD's they scored where after 2 horrible calls. The fumble that never was and the roughing call on Osi. So Welker drops a not so easy ball and KP doesn't make an interception. It happens. What about the easy TD that Nicks dropped? It happens.

Pa1jintfan
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Yea, it's full of what ifs, what if manningham caught that TD in San Fran, what if we got rivers instead of manning. We are superbowl champs again. And they deserve the title, every member of the team. As do all of us fans, quite honestly, this season took years off my life. All those 4th quarter comebacks. There brutal on your health. But worth it...

slipknottin
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
blitzing really is a rather poor strategy to rely on.

The best defenses in the league actually blitz rarely. The top defensive teams use almost exclusively 4 man rushes.

Mercury
06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
One of the best things about the Giants defense is that it can get pressure rushing just 4 men. Not many clubs can. And yes, it is true that sometimes they don't get there. And when some teams blitz sometimes they don't get there too. And usually when that happens, the play is a big play.

Did you ever think that sometimes the pass is dropped because the defense forced an early throw? Maybe the QB was off, or the timing was off because of what we did.

Rudyy
06-28-2012, 05:57 PM
One of the best things about the Giants defense is that it can get pressure rushing just 4 men.* Not many clubs can.* And yes, it is true that sometimes they don't get there.* And when some teams blitz sometimes they don't get there too.* And usually when that happens, the play is a big play.

Did you ever think that sometimes the pass is dropped because the defense forced an early throw?* Maybe the QB was off, or the timing was off because of what we did.*
This is exactly correct.
Rodgers just didn't have some random bad game . We got in his face and messed with his rhythm and therefore, he wasn't on page with his receivers.