PDA

View Full Version : SI: REACHING PLAYOFFS WILL BE "TALL TALK" FOR NY GIANTS

RoanokeFan
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
SI: REACHING PLAYOFFS WILL BE "TALL TALK" FOR NY GIANTS (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/6/28/3124212/si-reaching-playoffs-will-be-tall-task-for-new-york-giants)

"Sports Illustrated has been doing team-by-team offseason breakdowns, and
today our friends at SI got around to the defending Super Bowl champion <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants">New
York Giants</a>. SI concludes (http://nfl.si.com/2012/06/28/offseason-breakdown-new-york-giants/?xid=sbnation) that anyone expecting back-to-back Super Bowl
titles will be "sorely disappointed."
<div class="entry-body">

This does mean the writer, Chris
Burke, does not think the Giants will be a good team. It's also not a shot at
the defending champs, just a realistic assessment of the schedule and how
difficult it is to win back-to-back titles. Here is part of Burke's summary:</p>

"Last year's team got hot at the perfect time, with a six-game win streak
allowing them to end the year with a title. It will be difficult to repeat, even
as NFC East champs. Anyone expecting the Giants to cruise to another division
crown will be sorely disappointed, as just qualifying for the playoffs will be a
tall task."</p>
<p class="extend-divide"><a name="storyjump"></a>http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg</p>

I know some of you will take issue with this, or will feel like Burke is
slighting the Giants. Not me. The Giants will be good. The schedule, though, is
brutal and every team in the NFC East is better than it was a season ago.
Repeats are rare in sports nowadays, anyway.</p>

Like last season I would think we will witness another year during which the
Giants come to the last couple of weeks with a chance. And, if they make it to
the playoffs they will be a tough out. Pretty hard to be too disappointed by
that."</p></div>

AllTuckedUp
06-28-2012, 05:19 PM
SI:* REACHING PLAYOFFS WILL BE "TALL TALK" FOR NY GIANTS (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/6/28/3124212/si-reaching-playoffs-will-be-tall-task-for-new-york-giants)

today our friends at SI got around to the defending Super Bowl champion <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants">New
York Giants</a>. SI concludes (http://nfl.si.com/2012/06/28/offseason-breakdown-new-york-giants/?xid=sbnation) that anyone expecting back-to-back Super Bowl
<div class="entry-body">

difficult it is to win back-to-back titles. Here is part of Burke's summary:</p>

allowing them to end the year with a title. It will be difficult to repeat, even
crown will be sorely disappointed, as just qualifying for the playoffs will be a
tall task."</p>
<p class="extend-divide"><a name="storyjump"></a>http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg</p>

that."</p></div>

I'm not handing us anything. The Eagles and Cowboys are good teams. As for the Redskins, they beat us twice last year and only got better.

RoanokeFan
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
You can never assume anything in the NFL but we also improved last season and still have that nucleus.

giantsfan39
06-28-2012, 05:36 PM
There is a difference between back to back titles and not even picking us to make the playoffs. I won't make any predictions about the superbowl or even the playoffs but I do think we go at least 10-6 and get a WC. I don't think that is a stretch considering our 9-7 regular season record, seeing how the team played down the stretch, and the injuries we faced last year.

MikeIsaGiant
06-28-2012, 06:00 PM
You can never assume anything in the NFL but we also improved last season and still have that nucleus.

what makes us different than other teams is pretty much we have **** figured out, we have our core figured out.

The draft just improved us 20 fold.

The only concern right now I have is the running game, but who knows? We can easily prove that this team has what it takes to run the clock.

VegasGmen
06-28-2012, 06:40 PM
I remember a season not too long ago when we came out like gangbusters after a championship the previous year. Luckily this time we wont have a shooting to derail us. 13-3 regular season. Anything can happen in the playoffs andI feel secure with Eli at the helm.

Ntegrase96
06-28-2012, 06:50 PM
The NFC is going to be loaded this year, and the NFCE will be a very tough division as well.

On paper, all the strong teams got better except for the Saints.

Not too mention, the schedules for the NFCE teams are brutal.

I don't think anyone should take this article as disrespect-- making the playoffs will be a rough journey this year.

ashleymarie
06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
The sports writers never give the Giants a chance. I'm proud thatGiants believe differently and do not sit in a corner with a blindfold on. They go out and attempt to prove wrong the antagonists.

JacksGiant76
06-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Why does everyone worry so much about what the writers think? They're not profits, they can't see into the future. Did anyone one of them predict we'd win the superbowl? Did any of them predict we'd win the superbowl when we made the playoffs?

It's luck of the draw, some team could come out of nowhere and just run the board, no one knows. I'd love to see the Giants repeat, but I'm not banking on it either. Who know's if we'll get decimated by injuries. Maybe Eli gets hurt for the first time and then we're really up the creek.

Instead of listening to the writers, I'm going to ignore them all and watch and see how the season turns out. Personally, I like our chances but that's just my opinion, and the writer's have theirs. There's no difference between the two.

giantsfan420
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
ya know what i cant understand? of any team in the NFL imho, the NYG are the best at handling adversity. This team can weather any storm. Like Andy Dufrane, they can climb through a mile long septic pipe and come out clean the other side.

So we have a tough schedule. so things may get tough for a stretch, its like that every year. only thing is, we've brought home 2 lombardis the last 4 years...to bet against this team bc things "are going to be tough" is a joke in my eyes....

but its ok. the team will make another run, and then people will still bet against us all the way, then the next season, it will be "dont expect the playoffs" all over again

ashleymarie
06-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Great example. Eli has some of the same qualities that Dufrane had in The Shawshank Redemption. One of those is patience, keeping still until the correct time presents itself.

CactusJack
06-28-2012, 09:02 PM
The NFC is going to be loaded this year, and the NFCE will be a very tough division as well.

I don't think anyone should take this article as disrespect-- making the playoffs will be a rough journey this year.

It's fine that people think the Giants will struggle. The funny thing is how that same criteria isn't really applied to other teams. For example:

1) The Giants got hot and ran that hot streak to a Superbowl, beating some of the toughest teams in the league along the way. The Eagles got hot and ran a four game winning streak against some of the worst offenses in the league. Yet it's the Eagles who, based on their "coming together" last year "will" succeed where the Giants "won't."

2) The Cowboys struggled to an 8-8 record against a third place schedule last year; can they get it done against another third place schedule this year?

3) The Packers dominated against a second place schedule last year; can they handle a first place schedule?

4) The 49ers dominated against a third place schedule last year: can they handle a first place schedule?

So on and so forth. The thing is, all of these articles are based on what happened "last year" (despite this really not mattering at all) plus how sports writers perceive the different teams' offseasons. Most writers are taking the leap of faith that these other teams will overcome whatever variables they face while the Giants won't. Whatever, it'll play out on the field.

giantsfan420
06-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Great example. Eli has some of the same qualities that Dufrane had in The Shawshank Redemption. One of those is patience, keeping still until the correct time presents itself.

well said. i'd just add the giants have that quality as a team as well. attitude reflects leadership so i think its a quality TC, Eli, Tuck even JR all display when it matters most

buddy33
06-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Well the odds are against them winning it all again. That's just unfortunate fact. As far as where they will place in the NFC East, I don't see why they can't win it again. Why will Dallas or the Eagles be able to handle that tough schedule any better than the Giants? As far as Washington goes, even though they did beat the Giants twice last year I'm not sold on a rookie QB bringing to the post season or be that much better.

BigBlue1971
06-28-2012, 11:02 PM
these writers and bloggers write crap bout teams they like or dislike. they're paid to cuz this controversy!</P>

i will agree its gonna be a tough season for the G-Men but i do expect they will get to the playoffs.</P>

the chemistry on this team is probably the strongest in the league and that in itself is worth 2-3 games imo!</P>

MikeIsaGiant
06-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Especially since NFC teams always battle it out , I think the series will all end up 1-1 and I think we'll have another division winner squeezing in with like a 9-7 , 10-6 records

SweetZombieJesus
06-29-2012, 06:44 AM
The schedule was brutal last year. What did they do?
The schedule was brutal in 2008. What did they do?

It seems like this team has one of the worst schedules in the NFL every year.

Even when they missed the playoffs, one was a 10-6 year (despite the 2-game postseason-killing face plant against the Eagles and Packers, but IMO karma makes up for it by getting in the next year at 9-7) and the other was dreadful but still not a losing season.

Nothing should be taken for granted, but they've made the playoffs (* = or deserved to) in 2011, 2010*, 2008, 2007, 2006, and 2005 -- 6 of the last 7 years -- and won it all twice. History says the Giants have a pretty solid chance to make the playoffs if they work hard and let's see from there.

thomsoad
06-29-2012, 08:35 AM

thomsoad
06-29-2012, 08:36 AM
<">I know some of you will take issue with this, or will feel like Burke is slighting the Giants. Not me. The Giants will be good. The schedule, though, is brutal and every team in the NFC East is better than it was a season ago. Repeats are rare in sports nowadays, anyway.

."</p></div>

I dont take offense but my beef is its the same crapola we heard last year. Last year the NFC East was considered the best division in football by the experts....it wasnt. And from what I remember is we actually just HAD the toughest schedule in football last year. I love how they analyze the strength of a schedule before the season even begins. Our "tough" schedule could very well end up being a cakewalk.

TuckYou
06-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Man, everyone is on the Giants Smashwagon now a days. SI, ESPN, CBS, NFLnet ....

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
The schedule was brutal last year.* What did they do?
The schedule was brutal in 2008.* What did they do?

It seems like this team has one of the worst schedules in the NFL every year.

Even when they missed the playoffs, one was a 10-6 year (despite the 2-game postseason-killing face plant against the Eagles and Packers, but IMO karma makes up for it by getting in the next year at 9-7) and the other was dreadful but still not a losing season.

Nothing should be taken for granted, but they've made the playoffs (* = or deserved to) in 2011, 2010*, 2008, 2007, 2006, and 2005 -- 6 of the last 7 years -- and won it all twice.* History says the Giants have a pretty solid chance to make the playoffs if they work hard and let's see from there.

History also shows that the Giants also have 2nd half collapses and are injury prone.

The Giants are unpredictable to finish the season. They can get really hot or flame out.

And in a year where their entire division got better, I understand why they are not a shoe in for the playoffs.

They haven't been a dominant regular season team since 2008 and whether you guys want to admit it or not, the reason the Giants even had shot at the playoffs at all was because of Dallas' collapse on defense-- notably the secondary.

The Giants were only one game better last year than the Cowboys and Eagles, and the holes the Giants had are still there and one year older.

The Giants are a tough team, but they're no juggernaut.

SweetZombieJesus
06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
History also shows that the Giants also have 2nd half collapses and are injury prone.

The Giants are unpredictable to finish the season. They can get really hot or flame out.

Don't get me wrong; I am very critical of the 2nd half collapses (even though the corollary to that is the 6-2 starts every year except 2008 when they were 7-1). I am also critical of Coughlin's 2nd half record (which is still sub .500, by the way). But in light of the magic lightning striking twice, I must give a pass.

All I'm saying is history says they get to the playoffs (or deserved to when they missed them in 2010 at 10-6) 6 out of 7 years.

What happens from then, who knows. I don't predict championships in June. But I will say they should have a good chance of getting to the playoffs and what happens from there who knows.

They haven't been a dominant regular season team since 2008 and whether you guys want to admit it or not, the reason the Giants even had shot at the playoffs at all was because of Dallas' collapse on defense-- notably the secondary.

Yes, thankfully the Giants were able to beat Dallas twice in 4 weeks when it mattered the most. Dallas gets a tiny bit of gratitude for their ineptitude on this championship run ;)

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Don't get me wrong; I am very critical of the 2nd half collapses (even though the corollary to that is the 6-2 starts every year except 2008 when they were 7-1).* I am also critical of Coughlin's 2nd half record (which is still sub .500, by the way).* But in light of the magic lightning striking twice, I must give a pass.

All I'm saying is history says they get to the playoffs (or deserved to when they missed them in 2010 at 10-6) 6 out of 7 years.*

What happens from then, who knows.* I don't predict championships in June.* But I will say they should have a good chance of getting to the playoffs and what happens from there who knows.

Yes, thankfully the Giants were able to beat Dallas twice in 4 weeks when it mattered the most.* Dallas gets a tiny bit of gratitude for their ineptitude on this championship run ;)

You're also forgetting that icing of our own kicker in the Desert... that was a brilliant move.

pino
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM
slighting the Giants. Not me.

It was a slight. Chris Burke can eff himself.

I don't have a problem saying we won't repeat. I have a problem with him saying we won't win the division.

"Anyone expecting the Giants to cruise to another division crown will be sorely disappointed..."

How is this not a slight?

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 12:55 PM
slighting the Giants. Not me.

It was a slight. Chris Burke can eff himself.

I don't have a problem saying we won't repeat. I have a problem with him saying we won't win the division.

"Anyone expecting the Giants to cruise to another division crown will be sorely disappointed..."

How is this not a slight?

Well Dallas and Philly have made improvements.

Dallas has actually made the most improvement in the division, but probably won't be a contender until 2013-- which is when I expect the Cowboys to be a top seed in the NFC.

Cruising to a division title implies that it will be a breeze for the Giants-- at least in my opinion. I don't think anyone wins this division easy this year.

pino
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Dallas has actually made the most improvement in the division, but probably won't be a contender until 2013-- which is when I expect the Cowboys to be a top seed in the NFC.

Cruising to a division title implies that it will be a breeze for the Giants-- at least in my opinion. I don't think anyone wins this division easy this year.

All teams improved. All teams.

How about a little respect for the champs, is all I am saying. Everyone wants to be critical of the Giants, but no one wants to give us the respect of saying we are the front runner of the division.

I'm not surprised, or shocked that we are disrespected. I embrace it in fact. I'm just calling a spade a spade. It was a slight.

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 01:22 PM

All teams improved. All teams.

How about a little respect for the champs, is all I am saying. Everyone wants to be critical of the Giants, but no one wants to give us the respect of saying we are the front runner of the division.

I'm not surprised, or shocked that we are disrespected. I embrace it in fact. I'm just calling a spade a spade. It was a slight.

But are the Giants still hungry for more?

I see the reasoning, but I understand feeling disrespected.

giantsfan420
06-29-2012, 01:28 PM
no way dallas is the most improved...

u guys got morris claiborne. could be a good player. u guys got carr. and undersized imo corner.

two additions does not a team make. u guys have gaping holes along ur roster whereas i'd say the giants are easily the most complete team and we added players to improve our talent up and down the roster...

a rb, wr, and cb all with legitimate first round talent...then the bottom of our draft (where JR is actually as good as the early part imo) we added talent that will contribute.

id say the giants and philly made the most improvements to the complete team. dallas has huge holes esp at corner so u spent this offseason on that. u guys still have serious issues at safety, interior line, and a pass rusher to go with ware, as well as a 3rd wr...

TrueBlue@NYC
06-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Well Dallas and Philly have made improvements. Dallas has actually made the most improvement in the division, but probably won't be a contender until 2013-- which is when I expect the Cowboys to be a top seed in the NFC. Cruising to a division title implies that it will be a breeze for the Giants-- at least in my opinion. I don't think anyone wins this division easy this year. All teams improved. All teams. How about a little respect for the champs, is all I am saying. Everyone wants to be critical of the Giants, but no one wants to give us the respect of saying we are the front runner of the division. I'm not surprised, or shocked that we are disrespected. I embrace it in fact. I'm just calling a spade a spade. It was a slight. But are the Giants still hungry for more? I see the reasoning, but I understand feeling disrespected.</P>

I agree that the division will the tough again this year, it generally is. </P>

What I disagree with is the perception that while the Eagles and Cowboys vastly improved, the Giants are the same 9-7 team as last year. Meanwhile they made significant, if not as flashy, improvements as well particularly depth at CB and LBer. </P>

</P>

FBomb
06-29-2012, 01:35 PM
The Giants suck!!! I've had it!!! Face it fans, the Giants will NEVER be the offseason champions!!

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM

u guys got morris claiborne. could be a good player. u guys got carr. and undersized imo corner.

two additions does not a team make. u guys have gaping holes along ur roster whereas i'd say the giants are easily the most complete team and we added players to improve our talent up and down the roster...

a rb, wr, and cb all with legitimate first round talent...then the bottom of our draft (where JR is actually as good as the early part imo) we added talent that will contribute.

id say the giants and philly made the most improvements to the complete team. dallas has huge holes esp at corner so u spent this offseason on that. u guys still have serious issues at safety, interior line, and a pass rusher to go with ware, as well as a 3rd wr...

Carr, undersized? He's 6 ft 210 lbs.

Dallas made the biggest splashes on the CB position, but that's not all that was upgraded.

We've dropped Abe Elam for Brodney Pool who is one of the better pass defending Safeties in the league-- who had his best year in the Rob Ryan defense with the Browns. Drafted a young ball-hawking, hard hitting safety in the draft, who seems to have the most promise of any draftee not named Claiborne.

Also we dropped our old Secondary coach for Jerome Henderson.

Added Dan Connor to our LB corps to replaced James and Brooking, but he'll probably get beat out by our second round selection last year, Bruce Carter-- a highly touted prospect that didn't play much last year because of pre-existing injuries. And we also now have depth for pass rushers at the OLB position.

So the LB position and secondary...upgrade.

Sean Lissemore should get more reps this season... he was very raw coming out of college but was more effective per play at defensive end than JJ Watt of the Texans last year.

So the defense? Consider it upgraded.

Offensive line-- Tyron Smith moves to LT and seems to be more natural there, and Free can go back to RT where he is more effective.

The interior line is still a question mark-- we've added former Jets OL coach, Bill Callahan to help out, and some big veteran bodies in the interior line. Also, another young draft pick is turning heads with his strength and ability in camp... but we'll see how that goes.

Those are the additions.

There really weren't many holes with Dallas last year. But the putrid effort put forth by Terence Newman sure as hell made it seem like it.

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Well Dallas and Philly have made improvements. Dallas has actually made the most improvement in the division, but probably won't be a contender until 2013-- which is when I expect the Cowboys to be a top seed in the NFC. Cruising to a division title implies that it will be a breeze for the Giants-- at least in my opinion. I don't think anyone wins this division easy this year. All teams improved. All teams. How about a little respect for the champs, is all I am saying. Everyone wants to be critical of the Giants, but no one wants to give us the respect of saying we are the front runner of the division. I'm not surprised, or shocked that we are disrespected. I embrace it in fact. I'm just calling a spade a spade. It was a slight. But are the Giants still hungry for more? I see the reasoning, but I understand feeling disrespected.</P>

What I disagree with is the perception that while the Eagles and Cowboys vastly improved, the Giants are the same 9-7 team as last year. Meanwhile they made significant, if not as flashy, improvements as well particularly depth at CB and LBer. </P>

*</P>

Who was added at CB? I know rivers was picked up from the Bengals for the LB position, but I hardly consider that an upgrade.

The way I look at it is the Giants added weapons, but didn't address their offensive line, which is probably the teams biggest issue.

yoeddy
06-29-2012, 02:11 PM

*</P>

Who was added at CB? I know rivers was picked up from the Bengals for the LB position, but I hardly consider that an upgrade.

The way I look at it is the Giants added weapons, but didn't address their offensive line, which is probably the teams biggest issue.

We get Terrell Thomas back from injury, and Prince Amukamura gets a full training camp. Those two things alone will be a big upgrade from Aaron Ross last season.

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 02:14 PM

*</P>

We get Terrell Thomas back from injury, and Prince Amukamura gets a full training camp. Those two things alone will be a big upgrade from Aaron Ross last season.

Thomas is coming of a torn ACL isn't he? Also Aaron Ross didn't live up to his 14th overall pick (or was it 16th?), but he was a pretty good 4th corner. Who occupies that spot now?

I still think Amukamura can be good, but he looked lost last year. He'll probably turn it around though.

yoeddy
06-29-2012, 02:19 PM

*</P>

Thomas is coming of a torn ACL isn't he? Also Aaron Ross didn't live up to his 14th overall pick (or was it 16th?), but he was a pretty good 4th corner. Who occupies that spot now?

I still think Amukamura can be good, but he looked lost last year. He'll probably turn it around though.

Yes, TT is coming off a torn ACL. The good news is that he tore it last August, so by the time the season starts, he'll have had more than a full year of recovery time.

And yes, Prince looked lost last year, but there was no training camp, plus he missed something like the first 6 games with a broken foot. So he was being put in mid-season with virtually zero practice time with the team. He showed steady improvement towards the end of the season. Give him a full off-season and training camp, and I think we'll see a dramatic improvement right from the start of the season.

In either case, TT will be an upgrade to Ross, and Prince will be an improvement simply from being in the system.

lawl
06-29-2012, 02:23 PM

*</P>

Tt is basically being added to our roster from last year. Similarly, prince will not be missing all of the offseason and 10 games. That alone upgrades 3 starting positions in our secondary.

where do I get the 3 from?

I view our nickle back as a starter. we had Ross starting on the outside and rolle playing the slot, with grant at safety. This year we will have prince on the outside, tt in the slot and rolle at safety. Then of course, we have the natural progression of young guys like linval Joseph and jpp

sharick88
06-29-2012, 02:29 PM
SI:* REACHING PLAYOFFS WILL BE "TALL TALK" FOR NY GIANTS (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/6/28/3124212/si-reaching-playoffs-will-be-tall-task-for-new-york-giants)

<div class="entry-body">

tall task."</p>

that."</p></div>

The schedule seems to be their only excuse as to why the giants will not even make the playoffs. I think that logic is flawed as we don't know how any of our competition will pan out. Honestly, we can beat every team that we have on schedule this upcoming year. Our team does not suck and we have something for this guy that wrote that article. The other teams in the NFC East are better? ****, we're better too.

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes, TT is coming off a torn ACL. The good news is that he tore it last August, so by the time the season starts, he'll have had more than a full year of recovery time.

And yes, Prince looked lost last year, but there was no training camp, plus he missed something like the first 6 games with a broken foot. So he was being put in mid-season with virtually zero practice time with the team. He showed steady improvement towards the end of the season. Give him a full off-season and training camp, and I think we'll see a dramatic improvement right from the start of the season.

In either case, TT will be an upgrade to Ross, and Prince will be an improvement simply from being in the system.

Makes sense.

Yeah Amukamura has good size and I fully expect him to play well this season, and potentially be dominant in the future.

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 02:36 PM

*</P>

Tt is basically being added to our roster from last year. Similarly, prince will not be missing all of the offseason and 10 games. That alone upgrades 3 starting positions in our secondary.

I view our nickle back as a starter. we had Ross starting on the outside and rolle playing the slot, with grant at safety. This year we will have prince on the outside, tt in the slot and rolle at safety. Then of course, we have the natural progression of young guys like linval Joseph and jpp

Yeah, I just did not eliminate TT from the roster even though he didn't play last year.

He's still part of the team.

That said, if he doesn't come back as strong-- isn't this his 2nd acl tear?-- then you've got Webster and Amukamara. Which isn't bad in any regard, but losing Ross may not be a good thing depending on who is going to be your 4th.

pino
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
If we win the East...wait. WHEN we win the East, we will have a VERY GOOD shot at repeating as any team in that situation would. Especially if we get the first round bye.

And even if we didn't win the East, the Giants have proven time and time again that you only need to make the playoffs. The rest is simply rising to the occasion.

I'm also tired of writers saying that we "got hot at the right time." That's a term used to describe a Super Bowl win that I've only heard used on the Giants. It's a polite way of saying we "got lucky".

Every champion "got hot" at the right moment. Is there a wrong moment to get hot? Can a winner get cold at the right moment?

MattMeyerBud
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I remember a season not too long ago when we came out like gangbusters after a championship the previous year. Luckily this time we wont have a shooting to derail us. 13-3 regular season. Anything can happen in the playoffs andI feel secure with Eli at the helm.

good point

pre-plax shooting we were hands down best team in football. We walked in Heinz and pissed on the Steelers in a great game

MattMeyerBud
06-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Well Dallas and Philly have made improvements. Dallas has actually made the most improvement in the division, but probably won't be a contender until 2013-- which is when I expect the Cowboys to be a top seed in the NFC. Cruising to a division title implies that it will be a breeze for the Giants-- at least in my opinion. I don't think anyone wins this division easy this year. All teams improved. All teams. How about a little respect for the champs, is all I am saying. Everyone wants to be critical of the Giants, but no one wants to give us the respect of saying we are the front runner of the division. I'm not surprised, or shocked that we are disrespected. I embrace it in fact. I'm just calling a spade a spade. It was a slight. But are the Giants still hungry for more? I see the reasoning, but I understand feeling disrespected.</p>

I agree that the division will the tough again this year, it generally is. </p>

What I disagree with is the perception that while the Eagles and Cowboys vastly improved, the Giants are the same 9-7 team as last year. Meanwhile they made significant, if not as flashy, improvements as well particularly depth at CB and LBer. </p>

</p>

as many rough spots as Ross had last year, he was a major contributor to the success we had in the postseason. Guy really turned his season around and looked like the guy we had drafted.

Im not really banking on T2 playing levels above what we started to see out of Ross, so on the grand scheme of comparing last year to this year secondary wise I think it would be a reach to say how much better we are going to be

giantsfan420
06-29-2012, 04:56 PM

Carr, undersized? He's 6 ft 210 lbs.

Dallas made the biggest splashes on the CB position, but that's not all that was upgraded.

We've dropped Abe Elam for Brodney Pool who is one of the better pass defending Safeties in the league-- who had his best year in the Rob Ryan defense with the Browns. Drafted a young ball-hawking, hard hitting safety in the draft, who seems to have the most promise of any draftee not named Claiborne.

Also we dropped our old Secondary coach for Jerome Henderson.

Added Dan Connor to our LB corps to replaced James and Brooking, but he'll probably get beat out by our second round selection last year, Bruce Carter-- a highly touted prospect that didn't play much last year because of pre-existing injuries. And we also now have depth for pass rushers at the OLB position.

So the LB position and secondary...upgrade.

Sean Lissemore should get more reps this season... he was very raw coming out of college but was more effective per play at defensive end than JJ Watt of the Texans last year.

So the defense? Consider it upgraded.

Offensive line-- Tyron Smith moves to LT and seems to be more natural there, and Free can go back to RT where he is more effective.

The interior line is still a question mark-- we've added former Jets OL coach, Bill Callahan to help out, and some big veteran bodies in the interior line. Also, another young draft pick is turning heads with his strength and ability in camp... but we'll see how that goes.

Those are the additions.

There really weren't many holes with Dallas last year. But the putrid effort put forth by Terence Newman sure as hell made it seem like it.

brodney pool?lmfao wasnt he just a jet, and didnt bradshaw concuss him?
and carr aint 6 ft thats generous, if he is, he sure plays small. hes a good corner but u guys overpaid big time, JJ even said as much.
U guys already had a decent lb corp, what u needed was a pass rusher opposite ware, which u did not get.
doug free turned out to not be the answer, but tyron smith was already on the team, ok he moves to LT, then who plays RT at his level?

im not saying u guys didnt improve, i just think its pretty obvious to knowledgable fans that the nyg have a more complete team, and added players along the depth chart with tremendous 1rst round talent improving the roster that won the SB tremendously...almost all of our draft picks should contribue. the first 4 picks shouold contribute right away.

and that philly also improved more units on their team than u guys did.

i actually think washington improved more than u guys

SweetZombieJesus
06-29-2012, 05:15 PM

good point

pre-plax shooting we were hands down best team in football. We walked in Heinz and pissed on the Steelers in a great game

And ran for over 200 yards on the Ravens. When asked what it felt like to be tackled by Ray Lewis, Brandon Jacobs said "I wouldn't know".

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
brodney pool?lmfao wasnt he just a jet, and didnt bradshaw concuss him?
and carr aint 6 ft thats generous, if he is, he sure plays small. hes a good corner but u guys overpaid big time, JJ even said as much.
U guys already had a decent lb corp, what u needed was a pass rusher opposite ware, which u did not get.
doug free turned out to not be the answer, but tyron smith was already on the team, ok he moves to LT, then who plays RT at his level?

im not saying u guys didnt improve, i just think its pretty obvious to knowledgable fans that the nyg have a more complete team, and added players along the depth chart with tremendous 1rst round talent improving the roster that won the SB tremendously...almost all of our draft picks should contribue. the first 4 picks shouold contribute right away.

Granted, I don't expect you to follow the Cowboys, but you're missing a lot if you do not think those are big upgrades.

Tyron Smith turns 22 in december and is steadily improving-- should be an elite LT by the end of next year. The reason he wasn't placed at LT is because he wasn't ready for that role (he started last season at age 20).

Doug Free wasn't the answer at LT, but was one of the better RTs in the league in 2009 when he stepped in for Colombo.

We added Nate Livings on the interior who played for the Bengals last year. He seemed pretty inconsistent last year, but he was used incorrectly in their scheme and should be utilized correctly with Bill Callahan as our new OC-- dude's one of the better line coaches in the league and now he gets a big offensive guard who on multiple occassions has mauled Haloti Ngata.

Brodney Pool isn't what I would call a stellar safety, but as I mentioned before he's better at covering the pass than what we had.

And seeing how we have a very beefed up linebacking core with Dan Connor (most efficient tackler in the NFL), we don't need a big run stuffing safety. Our focus was strengthening the pass defense.

Our pass rush wasn't a problem, contrary to popular belief. The problem was coverage. Our D-backs couldn't cover for more than 1 1/2 seconds. Still, we had 42 sacks last season.

Even still, we drafted a quicker OLB for passing downs in Kyle Wilbur and Victor Butler is still on the team. Not to mention, Lissemore and Hatcher (DE) are better pass rushers than what we've had in the past.

Carr doens't play small-- watch the film against Calvin Johnson. And Carr has graded out as a top 10 CB in many areas over the last two years, is in his prime... I think the Cowboys paid market value for him.

It's amazing that you believe the first 4 picks you have will come in and contribute right away yet you ignore the possibility of the same for the Cowboys-- who have had two very successful drafts in a row.

Overall, the defense goes from a D rating to a B rating, and the offensive line has been upgraded.

lawl
06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Well Dallas and Philly have made improvements. Dallas has actually made the most improvement in the division, but probably won't be a contender until 2013-- which is when I expect the Cowboys to be a top seed in the NFC. Cruising to a division title implies that it will be a breeze for the Giants-- at least in my opinion. I don't think anyone wins this division easy this year. All teams improved. All teams. How about a little respect for the champs, is all I am saying. Everyone wants to be critical of the Giants, but no one wants to give us the respect of saying we are the front runner of the division. I'm not surprised, or shocked that we are disrespected. I embrace it in fact. I'm just calling a spade a spade. It was a slight. But are the Giants still hungry for more? I see the reasoning, but I understand feeling disrespected.</p>

I agree that the division will the tough again this year, it generally is. </p>

What I disagree with is the perception that while the Eagles and Cowboys vastly improved, the Giants are the same 9-7 team as last year. Meanwhile they made significant, if not as flashy, improvements as well particularly depth at CB and LBer. </p>

*</p>

as many rough spots as Ross had last year, he was* a major contributor to the success we had in the postseason. Guy really turned his season around and looked like the guy we had drafted.

Im not really banking on T2 playing levels above what we started to see out of Ross, so on the grand scheme of comparing last year to this year secondary wise I think it would be a reach to say how much better we are going to be

Comparing tt to Ross is not appropriate.

prince will be taking over Ross' role(not tt).I assume he will out perform him.

Tt will be assuming rolle's role of last year. I again assume that will be an upgrade.

Lastly, rolle will take over the snaps that deon grant had. Again, another upgrade.

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Exactly where are the holes on the Cowboys that you speak of, btw?

We had holes last year, but we've taken strides toward filling them-- although it's a 2 year process.

Hence the 'most improved' in the division comment from me.

JJC7301
06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
There is a difference between back to back titles and not even picking us to make the playoffs. I won't make any predictions about the superbowl or even the playoffs but I do think we go at least 10-6 and get a WC. I don't think that is a stretch considering our 9-7 regular season record, seeing how the team played down the stretch, and the injuries we faced last year.

+1. When the Giants got healthy, they showed what they were capable of doing. I like that they're not picked to do anything because they get motivated by that.

bklyn1028
06-30-2012, 10:20 AM

We had holes last year, but we've taken strides toward filling them-- although it's a 2 year process.

Unless something changes drastically, I doubt the Boys will ever get to the SB. Now hang on and hear me out!

Romo in my opinion is an excellent (not good), excellent QB. Your front line has improved, Murray should have a very good year, and Jones has made improvements to your secondary. DeMarcus Ware is one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

HOWEVER, you must admit SOMETHING is wrong!

Romo for some ungodly reason will never take this team (I could be wrong, but) deep into the playoffs, --- track record.

For some reason (and I keep preaching this point) something just doesn't gel in Dallas for him.

He might go to another team and win it all, but as long as he is in Dallas, it just ain't gonna happen.

Think about it:

Dallas has won ONE (1) playoff game in what 15 years?

Romo has led the charge since I believe 2006, and he's won ONE playoff game.

Again, something is wrong, could be Jerry, I don't know, but something needs to be changed, or you will keep having the same results. Again nothing against your team, or Romo, but you have to admit, with that talent and reputation, ONE playoff win in that length of time, something has to give.

FBomb
06-30-2012, 10:34 AM
im not saying u guys didnt improve, i just think its pretty obvious to knowledgable fans that the nyg have a more complete team, and added players along the depth chart with tremendous 1rst round talent improving the roster that won the SB tremendously...almost all of our draft picks should contribue. the first 4 picks shouold contribute right away. and that philly also improved more units on their team than u guys did. i actually think washington improved more than u guys Exactly where are the holes on the Cowboys that you speak of, btw? We had holes last year, but we've taken strides toward filling them-- although it's a 2 year process. Hence the 'most improved' in the division comment from me. Unless something changes drastically, I doubt the Boys will ever get to the SB. Now hang on and hear me out! Romo in my opinion is an excellent (not good), excellent QB. Your front line has improved, Murray should have a very good year, and Jones has made improvements to your secondary. DeMarcus Ware is one of the best defensive players in the NFL. HOWEVER, you must admit SOMETHING is wrong! Romo for some ungodly reason will never take this team (I could be wrong, but) deep into the playoffs, --- track record. For some reason (and I keep preaching this point) something just doesn't gel in Dallas for him. He might go to another team and win it all, but as long as he is in Dallas, it just ain't gonna happen. Think about it: Dallas has won ONE (1) playoff game in what 15 years? Romo has led the charge since I believe 2006, and he's won ONE playoff game. Again, something is wrong, could be Jerry, I don't know, but something needs to be changed, or you will keep having the same results. Again nothing against your team, or Romo, but you have to admit, with that talent and reputation, ONE playoff win in that length of time, something has to give.</P>

"Something" = "Jerry Jones"</P>

Until Al Davis Jr shuts his mouth and lets actualFOOTBALL people run the team, they will buckle under the pressure every time.</P>

bklyn1028
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
im not saying u guys didnt improve, i just think its pretty obvious to knowledgable fans that the nyg have a more complete team, and added players along the depth chart with tremendous 1rst round talent improving the roster that won the SB tremendously...almost all of our draft picks should contribue. the first 4 picks shouold contribute right away. and that philly also improved more units on their team than u guys did. i actually think washington improved more than u guys Exactly where are the holes on the Cowboys that you speak of, btw? We had holes last year, but we've taken strides toward filling them-- although it's a 2 year process. Hence the 'most improved' in the division comment from me. Unless something changes drastically, I doubt the Boys will ever get to the SB. Now hang on and hear me out! Romo in my opinion is an excellent (not good), excellent QB. Your front line has improved, Murray should have a very good year, and Jones has made improvements to your secondary. DeMarcus Ware is one of the best defensive players in the NFL. HOWEVER, you must admit SOMETHING is wrong! Romo for some ungodly reason will never take this team (I could be wrong, but) deep into the playoffs, --- track record. For some reason (and I keep preaching this point) something just doesn't gel in Dallas for him. He might go to another team and win it all, but as long as he is in Dallas, it just ain't gonna happen. Think about it: Dallas has won ONE (1) playoff game in what 15 years? Romo has led the charge since I believe 2006, and he's won ONE playoff game. Again, something is wrong, could be Jerry, I don't know, but something needs to be changed, or you will keep having the same results. Again nothing against your team, or Romo, but you have to admit, with that talent and reputation, ONE playoff win in that length of time, something has to give.</P>

Until Al Davis Jr shuts his mouth and lets actual*FOOTBALL people run the team, they will buckle under the pressure every time.</P>

You're probably right. Owners should let "football" people run their teams. A smart owner (any business) surrounds himself with smart people and leaves them alone.

I had a guy who worked for me and I asked him one day if he needed anything, and he said, "if I need you, you don't need me."

Hey Jerry, did you hear that?

FBomb
06-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Until Al Davis Jr shuts his mouth and lets actualFOOTBALL people run the team, they will buckle under the pressure every time.</P>

You're probably right. Owners should let "football" people run their teams. A smart owner (any business) surrounds himself with smart people and leaves them alone. I had a guy who worked for me and I asked him one day if he needed anything, and he said, "if I need you, you don't need me." Hey Jerry, did you hear that?</P>

My boss has the same philosophy...."Unless there is something wrong, you won't see me"</P>

jakegibbs
06-30-2012, 03:57 PM

<div class="entry-body">

tall task."</p>

that."</p></div>

I'm not handing us anything. The Eagles and Cowboys are good teams. As for the Redskins, they beat us twice last year and only got better.

Didn't TC say last year something like.... talk is cheap.. just play the game.... does this apply here?

Firenugget
06-30-2012, 07:23 PM
It's true. No matter how good you are you still need alot of things to happen just the right way to get there. But to think they have less of a chance than any other team due to talent level would be absurd.

Breezely
06-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Same thing every year. Let's see if I can guess . . . . . .ok, they have the Eagles winning the division with Dallas in second and the Giants and Redskins will fight it out for third. OH yeah, , , , ,Dallas will go up against the Patrriots in the Superbowl, with the Patriots winning. Alright, how close am I?

Ntegrase96
07-01-2012, 01:05 AM

Unless something changes drastically, I doubt the Boys will ever get to the SB. Now hang on and hear me out!

Romo in my opinion is an excellent (not good), excellent QB. Your front line has improved, Murray should have a very good year, and Jones has made improvements to your secondary. DeMarcus Ware is one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

HOWEVER, you must admit SOMETHING is wrong!

Romo for some ungodly reason will never take this team (I could be wrong, but) deep into the playoffs, --- track record.

For some reason (and I keep preaching this point) something just doesn't gel in Dallas for him.

He might go to another team and win it all, but as long as he is in Dallas, it just ain't gonna happen.

Think about it:

Dallas has won ONE (1) playoff game in what 15 years?

Romo has led the charge since I believe 2006, and he's won ONE playoff game.

Again, something is wrong, could be Jerry, I don't know, but something needs to be changed, or you will keep having the same results. Again nothing against your team, or Romo, but you have to admit, with that talent and reputation, ONE playoff win in that length of time, something has to give.

I think the 'something wrong' is Jerry Jones-- which Fbomb nailed on the head.

However, Jerry Jones has gradually been stepping down and has ceded a ton of power to his son Stephen, and Jason Garrett-- Through them, the culture around Valley Ranch has changed.

They're not to superbowl contending caliber yet, but 2013 should be a very strong year for the Cowboys.

You mentioned that something 'drastic' would have to change and I would agree if it weren't already happening. This is year 2 of 3 in the Garrett rebuilding process. It's not a quick fix, but the foundation is getting there via a youth movement.

Ntegrase96
07-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Same thing every year. Let's see if I can guess . . . . . .ok, they have the Eagles winning the division with Dallas in second and the Giants and Redskins will fight it out for third. OH yeah, , , , ,Dallas will go up against the Patrriots in the Superbowl, with the Patriots winning. Alright, how close am I?

To be fair, the last 2006--2011 the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles all have the same number of division titles (2). No team winner went on to repeat as division champs.

Roswell777
07-01-2012, 02:22 AM
I think the Cowboys are very improved. Their corners look like the real deal. But then again, I also said that in 2008 when they got Pacman Jones.

GCGiant
07-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Whoever said that if the Giants make the playoffs they will be a tough out...I like that.

That's what you want. That's all you can hope for.

Unfortunately, games are sometimes determined by a gust of wind, or a bad spot on the turf...etc. That's how close these teams are to each other once they reach the playoffs.

Getting the team amped up for another playoff run wouldn't be too tough. Getting them amped for the regular season games while toting a ring from the previous season on their finger is where our coaches are going to earn their money this year