PDA

View Full Version : Rush defense

giantsfan39
06-28-2012, 05:51 PM
This is the only aspect of the defense that truly worries me. We were ranked 19th although we improved throughout the season.

I think a large part was due to Tuck being injured, not having Thomas who is our best tackling CB (and maybe DB -but I think Phillips is slightly better) and the inconsistencies at MLB. I also think Kiwi takes more snaps at DE this season and this also helps. I expect it to improve but with all the talk about LBs/secondary/pass defense this doesn't seem to be getting as much attention as it should.

gmen0820
06-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I couldn't help but notice in the SF conference game how vulnerable we appeared in the teeth of our defense. I really felt SF did a poor job in exploiting that, and choosing to put the ball in Smith's hands in spread formations.

slipknottin
06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Kiwi was one of the best run stuffing LBs in the league.

How would moving him to DE help the run defense?

RagTime Blue
06-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Kiwi was one of the best run stuffing LBs in the league.

How would moving him to DE help the run defense?

Yea I think one of the biggest myths on these boards is that Kiwi was only moved to LB because we had no LB's. He's a very good LB and will only get better. If he plays at DE, he's undersized, and a poor run-stuffer. Besides, who will he take snaps from at DE??

giantsfan39
06-28-2012, 09:27 PM
I know he is a good run stuffing LB but I thought it would be better to have him out on the dline than any 4th DE. He will improve the fun defense by not letting the 4th DE or even Osi ply on the dline in certain running situations.

Joe_morris
06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
I thought we were actually very good up the middle this year. Canty, and more importantly, Linval Joseph,locked it down. Off the edges was a different story!

Neverend
06-28-2012, 09:34 PM
I know he is a good run stuffing LB but I thought it would be better to have him out on the dline than any 4th DE. He will improve the fun defense by not letting the 4th DE or even Osi ply on the dline in certain running situations.

His run defense is more valuable at the LB position. Wish there was a decent highlight reel out there of him. When it comes to diagnosing plays in the backfield or disengaging from blockers (literally destroying them at times), Kiwi is the best LB on this team by a landslide.

I wouldn't say he is dominant in run defense at the line though

giantsfan39
06-28-2012, 09:40 PM

His run defense is more valuable at the LB position. Wish there was a decent highlight reel out there of him. When it comes to diagnosing plays in the backfield or disengaging from blockers (literally destroying them at times), Kiwi is the best LB on this team by a landslide.

Compared to Tollefson ,Osi , and whoever the 4th DE is this year (tracy, Trattou or Sintim) he is dominant on the line.

RagTime Blue
06-28-2012, 11:43 PM

Compared to Tollefson ,Osi , and whoever the 4th DE is this year (tracy, Trattou or Sintim) he is dominant on the line.

Would tend to agree. But how many snaps does our 4th DE get? Even Tolly who was pretty reliable?

Would rather see Kiwi on the field for all 1st and most 2nd downs at SAM, where he's nothing short of a bully.

OK to see him play with his hand in the dirt sometimes. But it seems that most players have to specialize nowadays, and that's just not his specialty anymore. Injuries, of course, are another story, but I hope we don't find that out.

I have faith in Fewell to put the right players in the right places for success. Whatever he does, I'm cool with (as long as we don't rush 3 anymore).

slipknottin
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM

Osi and Kiwi are about equal at run stopping from the DE position.

Not sure how you throw Tracy and Sintim in there considering Sintim had about 5 snaps at DE and Tracy has none. None of us know anything about their ability at that position or lack thereof.

And how much sense does it make to take the best run stopping LB on the team and move him to the #4 DE? None at all. Let Kiwi play LB on early downs, then let him play some DT or DE on passing downs. Thats how you maximize his skill set.