PDA

View Full Version : "Player "X" has proven to be worth a "_____" draft pick"

giantsfan420
06-29-2012, 02:43 PM
hey, i was bored. and was thinking about players we have taken, whether they were worth it, and what that said players draft value is worth based on his career so far.

ill start off with a couple...

Nicks-first rounder. def. worth a 1rst rounder. if we had a time machine and could see how pivotal he's been, and we had to trade to get him on draft day, i'd say he'd be worth a 1rst and a 4th or something...he's been that good.

Eli-traded for, ton of picks that we all know by now. was worth it. i think what we gave up to get him the first time around would seem like a 7th round pick if every team had the ability to try and trade to draft him. with elis career so far and the success he's had, i could see a team if they had a time machine, giving up 3 1rst round picks, maybe 4, to get the results that hes had so far.

ok anyone else bored enough to think of some players and assess them based on this metric?

Big Blue in SD
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
That's interesting because now that we look back, the pick we traded doesn't represent a draft choice but an actual player. If we would thrown in another fourth round draft choice it would have been Phillip Dillard. Definitely worth it for Nicks.

lawl
06-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Good topic of discussion.

Very hard to do this, which leads to the fun.

If another team wanted to trade for nicks they'd have to give up a heck of alot more than a first rounder and4th rounder. However, looking at it like that entails the value for the rest of his career, not up to this point.

Another thing to realize is that the expectations of a top five pick are much greater than that of a mid or late first rounder. So by just saying a first rounder leads to alot of room for misinterpretation.

I'll go with jpp. he's played like the first overall pick in a draft should play.

slipknottin
06-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Nicks is worth 2 1st round picks.

Eli 4 1st rounders.

JPP 3 1st rounders.

lawl
06-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Nicks is worth 2 1st round picks.

Eli 4 1st rounders.

JPP 3 1st rounders.

I don't think that's the goal of the thread.

giantsfan420
06-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Good topic of discussion.

Very hard to do this, which leads to the fun.

If another team wanted to trade for nicks they'd have to give up a heck of alot more than a first rounder and4th rounder. However, looking at it like that entails the value for the rest of his career, not up to this point.

Another thing to realize is that the expectations of a top five pick are much greater than that of a mid or late first rounder. So by just saying a first rounder leads to alot of room for misinterpretation.

I'll go with jpp. he's played like the first overall pick in a draft should play.

jpp has played like a first overall pick for sure. he was as successful as any first pick of recent memory.

could u imagine the bidding war if his draft could be done over...i cant think of one team that wouldnt want JPP and do whatever itd take to get him...

i dont think itd be unfair to say that a first overall pick isnt even enough for JPP...gotta be like first overall and a franchise qb lol

BigBlue1971
06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Corey Webster 2nd round pick playing like a top 10 1st rounder!

giantsfan420
06-29-2012, 06:56 PM
will beatty?
boley?
kp?
tuck?
kiwi?

Flip Empty
06-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Bradshaw (7th) would probably be a low 1 or high 2. Cruz (undrafted) would of course be a 1. Probably the best value players the Giants currently have.
Tuck (3rd) would be an easy 1st - another very high value pick.

lcra0825
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Jaquain Williams has proven to be worth a third round draft pick and he was gotten in the 6th i think

Bones911
06-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Clint Sintim has proven to be a UDFA.

greenca190
06-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Bradshaw (7th) would probably be a low 1 or high 2. Cruz (undrafted) would of course be a 1. Probably the best value players the Giants currently have.

Bradshaw seems like more of a late secon third

NYGRealityCheck
06-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Victor Cruz is worth a 1st RD draft pick.

RagTime Blue
06-30-2012, 03:41 AM
So we're not guessing what someone's worth now (with current contract and health status). . .but rather what their on-the-field play has warranted a draft pick of. Okay. . .

For example, you could reasonably expect contributions thus far like Phillips from maybe a late 2nd rounder.

Webster a late first rounder / early 2nd.
Nicks top-10 overall
Manning top 5 overall
JPP top overall
Diehl third rounder.
Bradshaw late 2nd rounder
Beckum, Barden, Sintim - UDFA's
Beatty early third rounder.
Cruz - top 20 overall

Only listed guys drafted by Giants with adequate exposure to judge, who somewhat defied the expectations of their draft pick.

NYGRealityCheck
06-30-2012, 09:32 AM
For the Giants drafted-first rounders like Eli, JPP, and Nicks, they've definitely fulfilled the expectations that come with a first round pick, perhaps even more.

I guess this is a discussion of players that exceeded their expectations (mostly later-rounds or undrafted) like Bradshaw and Cruz, players that fulfilled the expectations of the pick that they were drafted at, and finally players that didn't show much to back up their draft value AKA complete busts (mostly early-mid rounders) like Sinorice Moss.

Flip Empty
06-30-2012, 11:02 AM

Bradshaw seems like more of a late secon third
Yeah on second thought I'd agree. He's not a lead back.