PDA

View Full Version : We Need to Sign Shiancoe

gmoney11
06-29-2012, 05:57 PM
We need this guy..do we have the cap space left to sign him up?
I am very skeptical of the tight end position..he's a great fit for Eli and our offense...

GMENAGAIN
06-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't know whether or not we "need" to sign him, but I would certainly be on board with signing him (as I have mentioned in other threads).

slipknottin
06-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Id be more skeptical of the TE position if they felt the need to sign Shiancoe. A guy the entire NFL seems to not have much interest in.

burier
06-29-2012, 06:03 PM
why do we need to sign him?

GMENAGAIN
06-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Id be more skeptical of the TE position if they felt the need to sign Shiancoe. A guy the entire NFL seems to not have much interest in.</P>

I think that his demands are too high and that is why he is not getting signed.</P>

He apparently turned down a 1 year, $1.2M offer from the Seahawks . . . </P>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/29/report-visanthe-shiancoe-turned-down-seattle-deal-in-march/</P>

I wouln't be opposed to signing him for a 1 year, $1.5M deal . . . sort of a cheap insurance policy if Bennett is injured. </P>

JesseJames
06-29-2012, 06:19 PM
I think we'll get by at TE with what we have and I doubt we have the money to spend but this article interested me, but if we had the money:

Percy Harvin, star wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings, has requested a trade from the team. Should the New York Giants be interested if the Vikings were to decide to grant Harvin's apparent request?

A big trade for a star player is not the way the Giants generally operate, but Harvin is at least worth talking about. He is 24, is a rising star in the league and the Giants do have question marks at wide receiver entering training camp. Mario Manningham is in San Francisco, Hakeem Nicks is hurt and beyond Victor Cruz are guys with potential, but a whole lot to prove.

So, let's talk about Harvin. He caught 87 passes last season and has 218 receptions in his three-year career. He also averages 26.6 yards over 98 career kickoff returns. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Harvin is an explosive, proven playmaker.

Would it be in the Giants' best interest to send the Vikings a bushel of draft picks -- and probably one of their own stable on young receivers -- for Harvin?

rainierjef
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I think we'll get by at TE with what we have and I doubt we have the money to spend but this article interested me, but if we had the money:

Percy Harvin, star wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings, has requested a trade from the team. Should the New York Giants be interested if the Vikings were to decide to grant Harvin's apparent request?

A big trade for a star player is not the way the Giants generally operate, but Harvin is at least worth talking about. He is 24, is a rising star in the league and the Giants do have question marks at wide receiver entering training camp. Mario Manningham is in San Francisco, Hakeem Nicks is hurt and beyond Victor Cruz are guys with potential, but a whole lot to prove.

So, let's talk about Harvin. He caught 87 passes last season and has 218 receptions in his three-year career. He also averages 26.6 yards over 98 career kickoff returns. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Harvin is an explosive, proven playmaker.

Would it be in the Giants' best interest to send the Vikings a bushel of draft picks -- and probably one of their own stable on young receivers -- for Harvin?

just a question... did you mean to read font any of that?

greenca190
06-29-2012, 06:26 PM

No. We've been grooming wide receivers and tight ends for the last four years. Every time we think it'll be our weakness, it ends up being a strong point. Not interested in giving up a 2nd round pick, then give the guy a 5 year, 60 mm deal when we need to sign Nicks and Cruz.

RoanokeFan
06-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I am very skeptical of the tight end position..he's a great fit for Eli and our offense...

Do we really have to "need" every free agent that no one else wants?

giantsfan39
06-29-2012, 08:28 PM

No. We've been grooming wide receivers and tight ends for the last four years. Every time we think it'll be our weakness, it ends up being a strong point. Not interested in giving up a 2nd round pick, then give the guy a 5 year, 60 mm deal when we need to sign Nicks and Cruz.

What TEs have we groomed and could said to be a strength of a team? Boss wasn't anything special. Ballard wasn't groomed to be the starter. He became the starter because Boss signed elsewhere. Pascoe and Beckum haven't been groomed into anything. TE is not a strength and hasn't been the past few years. Even Shcokey was in decline before he was traded. TE has never been a strength of any of Coughlin's teams in NY. Celek, Witten and Davis are all better than anything we have on our roster at TE right now.

RoanokeFan
06-29-2012, 08:48 PM

What TEs have we groomed and could said to be a strength of a team? Boss wasn't anything special. Ballard wasn't groomed to be the starter. He became the starter because Boss signed elsewhere. Pascoe and Beckum haven't been groomed into anything. TE is not a strength and hasn't been the past few years. Even Shcokey was in decline before he was traded. TE has never been a strength of any of Coughlin's teams in NY. Celek, Witten and Davis are all better than anything we have on our roster at TE right now.

You realize our TEs are linemen first, right? Pascoe can also play at FB. Everyone one we draft is "developed." Some are asked to contribute sooner than others. We often put a DLineman at TE for blocking only.

What do you imagine Ballard was doing before Boss left; parking cars at the games?

Flip Empty
06-29-2012, 08:51 PM

And where have Celek, Witten and Davis gotten their respective teams? TE is not a focal point of the Giants' offense so they can get by with less.

There is no "need" here, only "want".

slipknottin
06-29-2012, 10:01 PM
TE has never been a strength of any of Coughlin's teams in NY. Celek, Witten and Davis are all better than anything we have on our roster at TE right now.

Yep. Giants should learn from those other teams.

But they are too busy winning SBs.

RoanokeFan
06-29-2012, 10:02 PM
TE has never been a strength of any of Coughlin's teams in NY. Celek, Witten and Davis are all better than anything we have on our roster at TE right now.

Simple, yet eloquent!

JJC7301
06-29-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't know whether or not we "need" to sign him, but I would certainly be on board with signing him (as I have mentioned in other threads).
+1. I've got no prob with that move, for the right money.

giantsfan39
06-29-2012, 11:58 PM

Dumbest argument ever. As if superbowl winning teams have no weak units on their team and shouldn't try to upgrade their roster. We won the Superbowl so therefore we are better than every team who didn't at every position and shouldn't worry about being better than other teams at this position. Why even draft players? Last year's team won the SB. No way you can upgrade. We won a SB in spite of poor TE play not because of it.

rainierjef
06-30-2012, 01:53 AM
i'll say this with the way the league is changing a receiving tight end is a luxury i would like the giants to look into next draft for or next free agency. at this moment we have to live with what we got and hope that it suffices.

eli with a receiving threat over the short - intermediate middle, seams or flats besides cruz not only makes eli more dangerous it also might cut down on his interception to completion ratio and it frees up cruz from one of the LB's.

yes i would like said TE to be able to block as well, but if my memory serves me correctly Shockey was not a natural blocker he learned how but he was a damn good receiving TE too bad Eli wasn't the commanding player he is now to tell shockey to stfu and get open.

A shockey in his prime with eli as he is now would really take this offense to another level IMHO

redbeardxxv
06-30-2012, 06:20 AM
i'll say this with the way the league is changing a receiving tight end is a luxury i would like the giants to look into next draft for or next free agency. at this moment we have to live with what we got and hope that it suffices.

eli with a receiving threat over the short - intermediate middle, seams or flats besides cruz not only makes eli more dangerous it also might cut down on his interception to completion ratio and it frees up cruz from one of the LB's.

yes i would like said TE to be able to block as well, but if my memory serves me correctly Shockey was not a natural blocker he learned how but he was a damn good receiving TE too bad Eli wasn't the commanding player he is now to tell shockey to stfu and get open.

A shockey in his prime with eli as he is now would really take this offense to another level IMHO

Actually, Shockey was a damn good blocking TE.....I think our offense needs a TE that can block. Anything after that is gravy. Keep in mind, our last Sb hinged on our TE's ability to catch the ball. I think Shianco thinks he's worth more than teams will pay, but he may be a good pick up. Don't discount the importance of TE's in this league....Remember, NE made it to the SB on the strength of their TE's...

NorwoodBlue
06-30-2012, 07:23 AM
NE made it to the Super Bowl on the strength of their quarterback, and their offensive scheme works right up until the point that Brady has no time to throw. The Giants have their number because they focus on DE play, and don't waste big money on TE.

Ballard is slower than death on crutches, and Eli still made him an effective receiver. The Giants have probably already upgraded TE significantly with Bennett and Robinson. Going after another TE isn't very wise.

Diamondring
06-30-2012, 07:34 AM
A team really don't need to have a talented te long as the team has good players at every other place. Yet uf the team can upgrade to increase its chances, then do it. Yet we don't need a player on declining yeats who want a pig pay day.

rainierjef
06-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Actually, Shockey was a damn good blocking TE.....I think our offense needs a TE that can block. Anything after that is gravy. Keep in mind, our last Sb hinged on our TE's ability to catch the ball. I think Shianco thinks he's worth more than teams will pay, but he may be a good pick up. Don't discount the importance of TE's in this league....Remember, NE made it to the SB on the strength of their TE's...

what i meant to say was shockey was not a natural blocker coming into the league, our position coaches did a great job making him a good blocker, but that wasn't seen in his first season with the team.

to me i have noticed a trend in the nfl; whenever a position around the league gets an infusion of spectacular players that's what the flavor of the year is, when Adrian peterson, chris johnson, jones Drew and ray rice even when we had earth, wind and fire it was the year of the running back. and most analyst and pundits said in order to win in the league you need a running back of that caliber to pull your team late in the season. then came the year of the TE, with the Grahams, the Gronks, Finleys and Greshem's and thats whats needed now to be an offensive juggernaut in the league.

i think it would be wise to upgrade ever position if you can in the draft and free agency to keep the cog fresh and rolling, if we can find a shockey/ bavaro type TE without the shockey mentality then why not, i think the TE position gets over looked amongst us cause we haven't had an above average one in a long time and have conformed to mediocrity or the progressively average at the position.

DemandedAce
06-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Do we really have to "need" every free agent that no one else wants?

THANK. YOU. Finally someone else shares my belief on this haha

JesseJames
06-30-2012, 12:07 PM
any team who has a TE who can block well and get out and catch the ball too has a luxury that most teams don't have. Our offense has been pretty damn good without one but can you imagine if we had a TE that defenses had to gameplan for to go along with our WRs, I think it would add a dimension that would be hard to stop.

G-ManSB42
06-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I think we'll get by at TE with what we have and I doubt we have the money to spend but this article interested me, but if we had the money: Percy Harvin, star wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings, has requested a trade from the team. Should the New York Giants be interested if the Vikings were to decide to grant Harvin's apparent request? A big trade for a star player is not the way the Giants generally operate, but Harvin is at least worth talking about. He is 24, is a rising star in the league and the Giants do have question marks at wide receiver entering training camp. Mario Manningham is in San Francisco, Hakeem Nicks is hurt and beyond Victor Cruz are guys with potential, but a whole lot to prove. So, let's talk about Harvin. He caught 87 passes last season and has 218 receptions in his three-year career. He also averages 26.6 yards over 98 career kickoff returns. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Harvin is an explosive, proven playmaker. Would it be in the Giants' best interest to send the Vikings a bushel of draft picks -- and probably one of their own stable on young receivers -- for Harvin?Harvin migraine issues will scare a lot of teams away including this one

FBomb
06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah.....um....when everyone was in a panic about not getting Boss back last year.....SOME of us were trying to talk people off the ledge. When Reese said..."We believe we have his replacement on the roster"...so many of you were ready to throw him out!!</P>

We are NOT going to sign another TE (barring injury)...the position has already been addressed. In Reese (and our coaches) We Trust.</P>

People forget so quickly.</P>

rainierjef
06-30-2012, 04:39 PM
any team who has a TE who can block well and get out and catch the ball too has a luxury that most teams don't have. Our offense has been pretty damn good without one but can you imagine if we had a TE that defenses had to gameplan for to go along with our WRs, I think it would add a dimension that would be hard to stop.

on a less ignorant note this pretty much sums it up.

we don't need to sign anyone right now we are going into the season with what we have, i have my doubts of bennett but i am forced to STFU and wait out his season to cast judgement, i'm just a fan i make no decisions.

but i think for every team not just ours it is wise to upgrade every position if you can, this is why we have drafts and free agency. i don't know how the TE's are going to turn out this year, Boss was a pleasant surprise, Ballard was a pleasant surprise; i'm still waiting to be surprised again. i think its fairly narrow minded to think that we will just strike gold or silver at a position every time cause it has happened in the past without addressing and upgrading through the means to do so, i can also make the same argument for O-linemen, we draft them late in hopes to groom them, this will not work forever. IMHO

RoanokeFan
06-30-2012, 05:20 PM

we don't need to sign anyone right now we are going into the season with what we have, i have my doubts of bennett but i am forced to STFU and wait out his season to cast judgement, i'm just a fan i make no decisions.

but i think for every team not just ours it is wise to upgrade every position if you can, this is why we have drafts and free agency. i don't know how the TE's are going to turn out this year, Boss was a pleasant surprise, Ballard was a pleasant surprise; i'm still waiting to be surprised again. i think its fairly narrow minded to think that we will just strike gold or silver at a position every time cause it has happened in the past without addressing and upgrading through the means to do so, i can also make the same argument for O-linemen, we draft them late in hopes to groom them, this will not work forever. IMHO

Are we overlooking Pascoe and Bennett or do we know something Reese and Coughlin don't? When we lost Hedge**** to injury during the season two years ago we used Pascoe and he did a better than average job at FB/HBack. We always seem to look for "star quality" at every position and that's just not the real world.

As for Bennett, we are a team that prefers to build via the draft. When we sign a FA, there's something they see in that player that fits the scheme.

If we can assume the organization is better able to make these calls than we are, FBomb would be correct. We've done what we're going to do at TE barring something unforeseen.

rainierjef
06-30-2012, 05:55 PM

Are we overlooking Pascoe and Bennett or do we know something Reese and Coughlin don't? When we lost Hedge**** to injury during the season two years ago we used Pascoe and he did a better than average job at FB/HBack. We always seem to look for "star quality" at every position and that's just not the real world.

As for Bennett, we are a team that prefers to build via the draft. When we sign a FA, there's something they see in that player that fits the scheme.

If we can assume the organization is better able to make these calls than we are, FBomb would be correct. We've done what we're going to do at TE barring something unforeseen.

please stick to the topic i am discussing about if you are going to quote me, as i easily get baited into other derivatives arguments of what i am saying, and might come across as whining to others.

" I am not over looking anyone i just have doubts about bennett, and i am content with what reese and co is doing."

i agree we do not need to sign anyone else we are going into the season with what we have.
we build through the draft right? so why is it farfetched to say i would hope we address TE a little sooner than the 4th round in next years draft or that if there is someone of a unique talent in next years free agency i hope we look into that as well.

like i said i am just a fan i make no decisions but what i will not do is just blindly agree with or hype every decision our GM makes; i like Reese don't misconstrue that, but i am also a realist and not everything the giants organization does is gold. yes we won the superbowl with less and i hope we can do it again but the way the league is going i would like for Eli to have a "star quality" TE so to say just so we can see an added dimension to this offense. Romo without witten would not have monster stats; witten does a lot of the work that romo gets credit for.
i think a YAC monster TE in this offense would take alot of pressure off of our RB's and the slot receiver. IMHO

JesseJames
06-30-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't know how people can say that Reese won't sign this guy or that guy and will stay with what he has, Reese himself has said many times that any time you have the opportunity to upgrade your team you do it, so never say never..

BeatYale
06-30-2012, 06:13 PM
I just called our man Vishante and he agrees with the OP. The Giants need to sign him.

Stack526
06-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Definitely do NOT need him... He needs us more.

Diamondring
06-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Definitely do NOT need him... He needs us more.Good one and true.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2012, 08:50 PM

please stick to the topic i am discussing about if you are going to quote me, as i easily get baited into other derivatives arguments of what i am saying, and might come across as whining to others.

" I am not over looking anyone i just have doubts about bennett, and i am content with what reese and co is doing."

i agree we do not need to sign anyone else we are going into the season with what we have.
we build through the draft right? so why is it farfetched to say i would hope we address TE a little sooner than the 4th round in next years draft or that if there is someone of a unique talent in next years free agency i hope we look into that as well.

like i said i am just a fan i make no decisions but what i will not do is just blindly agree with or hype every decision our GM makes; i like Reese don't misconstrue that, but i am also a realist and not everything the giants organization does is gold. yes we won the superbowl with less and i hope we can do it again but the way the league is going i would like for Eli to have a "star quality" TE so to say just so we can see an added dimension to this offense. Romo without witten would not have monster stats; witten does a lot of the work that romo gets credit for.
i think a YAC monster TE in this offense would take alot of pressure off of our RB's and the slot receiver. IMHO

Why do you look at every response as a challenge?

rainierjef
06-30-2012, 10:22 PM

well in past post between you and i, that has unfortunately been the nature of our interaction, and recently as well as your buddy FB, so i approach them as such. i just merely meant to keep the subject where i started it, i thought you were trying to spin it off into i don't trust reese's decisions or that i have no faith in the TE core altogether. i only have qualms with one person and that's bennett.

no offense intended

DemandedAce
06-30-2012, 11:06 PM
I just called our man Vishante and he agrees with the OP. The Giants need to sign him.

Lmao freaking amazing picture

GMENAGAIN
07-01-2012, 10:56 AM

</P>

My only concern is in the event of an injury to Bennett. If that happens, we'll be left with a rookie 5th round "project" (Robinson), Beckum (who has done nothing at the position to date and will most likely not be 100% healthy), and Pascoe. IMO Pascoe is a borderline NFL player at best. . . . if he ever starts at TE it will mean that we have HUGE problems at the position.</P>

Refuse2Fail
07-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I 2nd that.

FBomb
07-01-2012, 11:47 AM

</P>

Because any opinion that isn't 100% in lock step with is, he takes it personally. He's almost as much fun as GWAT was.[:)]</P>

</P>

JesseJames
07-01-2012, 11:56 AM

what ignorance are you referring to?

Diamondring
07-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Are we overlooking Pascoe and Bennett or do we know something Reese and Coughlin don't?* When we lost Hedge**** to injury during the season two years ago we used Pascoe and he did a better than average job at FB/HBack.* We always seem to look for "star quality" at every position and that's just not the real world.

As for Bennett, we are a team that prefers to build via the draft.* When we sign a FA, there's something they see in that player that fits the scheme.

If we can assume the organization is better able to make these calls than we are, FBomb would be correct.* We've done what we're going to do at TE barring something unforeseen.

we build through the draft right? so why is it farfetched to say i would hope we address TE* a little sooner than the 4th round in next years draft or that if there is someone of a unique talent in next years free agency i hope we look into that as well.

*like i said i am just a fan i make no decisions but what i will not do is just blindly agree with or hype every decision our GM makes; i like Reese don't misconstrue that, but i am also a realist and not everything the giants organization does is gold. yes we won the superbowl with less and i hope we can do it again but the way the league is going i would like for Eli to have a "star quality" TE so to say just so we can see an added dimension to this offense.* Romo without witten would not have monster stats; witten does a lot of the work that romo gets credit for.

</P>

Because any opinion that isn't 100% in lock step with is, he takes it personally.* He's almost as much fun as GWAT was.[:)]</P>

*</P>Hey, if you read posts about me in the past as being GWAT, I am here as Diamondring. You can say the same thing about you and a lot of other posters here. Oh and you can talk that bring the GWAT back because the mods are not going to do it.

Mod_C
07-01-2012, 12:20 PM

</p>

My only concern is in the event of an injury to Bennett. If that happens, we'll be left with a rookie 5th round "project" (Robinson), Beckum (who has done nothing at the position to date and will most likely not be 100% healthy), and Pascoe. IMO Pascoe is a borderline NFL player at best. . . . if he ever starts at TE it will mean that we have HUGE problems at the position.</p>

There is always the chance an injury will surface that a team just can't seem to overcome. But we can't assume that's going to be the case. I am with you on Beckum but Pascoe has done what they have asked him to do. Sometimes I think we, me included, wish every tight end was Mark Bavaro or Jeremy Shockey. Yet if we understand the team's philosophy, we soon realize a tight end is a lineman that now and then gets a chance to make a difference.

FBomb
07-01-2012, 12:36 PM

</P>

Because any opinion that isn't 100% in lock step with is, he takes it personally. He's almost as much fun as GWAT was.[:)]</P>

</P>

Hey, if you read posts about me in the past as being GWAT, I am here as Diamondring. You can say the same thing about you and a lot of other posters here. Oh and you can talk that bring the GWAT back because the mods are not going to do it.</P>

I have never taken ANYTHING personally here. Most of you don't know me personally, so why wouldanything bother me? I may drag out an arguement, but that's mostly for the entertainment of watching someone melt down because they don't agree...........oh, and because I'm right. [;)]</P>

Anyway, you are less emotional than GWAT was....it's difficult for me to believe. Did you change your meds?[:)]</P>

giantsfan39
07-01-2012, 12:37 PM

We are not overlooking them. Pascoe wouldn't even be on the roster if he couldn't play backup FB. Bennett has proven nothing in his time in Dallas. Robinson is a rookie project. And Beckum is a bust who people have fooled themselves to think was finally getting it because he had 4 catches for 16 yards in the NFC championship game. Impressive. 4.0 yards per catch. Lower than how much most RBs average on a catch or carry.

FBomb
07-01-2012, 12:40 PM

We are not overlooking them. Pascoe wouldn't even be on the roster if he couldn't play backup FB. Bennett has proven nothing in his time in Dallas. Robinson is a rookie project. And Beckum is a bust who people have fooled themselves to think was finally getting it because he had 4 catches for 16 yards in the NFC championship game. Impressive. 4.0 yards per catch. Lower than how much most RBs average on a catch or carry.
</P>

This is exactly the same arguement that went on when we didn't resign Boss. Ballard was unproven as well......now people are in a panic because HE'S gone. Like I said, people forget too quickly or just never learn. If Reese and the coaches feel like they have what they need already on the roster....then you have to trust them/</P>

RoanokeFan
07-01-2012, 12:44 PM

So the coaching staff has no clue?

gmen0820
07-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah.. I'll pass on this years Donald Lee.

FBomb
07-01-2012, 12:50 PM

So the coaching staff has no clue?
</P>

um......duh? </P>

BeatYale
07-01-2012, 12:57 PM
You guys weren't aware that fans, even with gimp resources (watch game + look at stats) know more than the coaching staff about all the players?

RoanokeFan
07-01-2012, 01:04 PM
You guys weren't aware that fans, even with gimp resources (watch game + look at stats) know more than the coaching staff about all the players?

I must have missed the memo,

Neverend
07-01-2012, 02:07 PM

LOL I almost completely forgot about that

gmen0820
07-01-2012, 02:52 PM

LOL I almost completely forgot about thatHaha exactly

Diamondring
07-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Are we overlooking Pascoe and Bennett or do we know something Reese and Coughlin don't?* When we lost Hedge**** to injury during the season two years ago we used Pascoe and he did a better than average job at FB/HBack.* We always seem to look for "star quality" at every position and that's just not the real world.

As for Bennett, we are a team that prefers to build via the draft.* When we sign a FA, there's something they see in that player that fits the scheme.

If we can assume the organization is better able to make these calls than we are, FBomb would be correct.* We've done what we're going to do at TE barring something unforeseen.

we build through the draft right? so why is it farfetched to say i would hope we address TE* a little sooner than the 4th round in next years draft or that if there is someone of a unique talent in next years free agency i hope we look into that as well.

*like i said i am just a fan i make no decisions but what i will not do is just blindly agree with or hype every decision our GM makes; i like Reese don't misconstrue that, but i am also a realist and not everything the giants organization does is gold. yes we won the superbowl with less and i hope we can do it again but the way the league is going i would like for Eli to have a "star quality" TE so to say just so we can see an added dimension to this offense.* Romo without witten would not have monster stats; witten does a lot of the work that romo gets credit for.

</P>

Because any opinion that isn't 100% in lock step with is, he takes it personally.* He's almost as much fun as GWAT was.[:)]</P>

*</P>

Hey, if you read posts about me in the past as being GWAT, I am here as Diamondring. You can say the same thing about you and a lot of other posters here. Oh and you can talk that bring the GWAT back because the mods are not going to do it.</P>

I have never taken ANYTHING personally here.* Most of you don't know me personally, so why would*anything bother me?* I may drag out an arguement, but that's mostly for the entertainment of watching someone melt down because they don't agree...........oh, and because I'm right. [;)]</P>

Anyway, you are less emotional than GWAT was....it's difficult for me to believe.* Did you change your meds?[:)]</P>My meds did you stop taking drugs in front... oops? I'm not worried about you because I got you good in the past that some posters thought I took it too far. You also a liar and come with that you enjoy getting the best of others. Yeah right Fbomb that is a nice excuse.

rainierjef
07-01-2012, 05:18 PM

</p>

Because any opinion that isn't 100% in lock step with is, he takes it personally. He's almost as much fun as GWAT was.[:)]</p>

</p>

i think you are wrong on your assessment of me, i neither take anything personal on a message board nor get emotional about it, the primary purpose of a message board is to debate topics of a common issue, and in a debate you argue your point with counter arguments, all while utilizing facts to pillar those arguments.

i dont know who GWAT is nor do i care, but it seems to me you enjoy arguing over the keyboard, maybe this is more personal to you than it is to me and your projecting.

just a thought.

*back to topic

GMENAGAIN
07-01-2012, 08:22 PM

</P>

My only concern is in the event of an injury to Bennett. If that happens, we'll be left with a rookie 5th round "project" (Robinson), Beckum (who has done nothing at the position to date and will most likely not be 100% healthy), and Pascoe. IMO Pascoe is a borderline NFL player at best. . . . if he ever starts at TE it will mean that we have HUGE problems at the position.</P>

There is always the chance an injury will surface that a team just can't seem to overcome. But we can't assume that's going to be the case. I am with you on Beckum but Pascoe has done what they have asked him to do. Sometimes I think we, me included, wish every tight end was Mark Bavaro or Jeremy Shockey. Yet if we understand the team's philosophy, we soon realize a tight end is a lineman that now and then gets a chance to make a difference.
</P>

I respectfully disagree about Pascoe. The team asked him to block last year and he was awful . . . routinely getting pancaked or just thrown aside by the guy he is supposed to block.</P>

That being said, I don't think that the world would end if we didn't sign Shiancoe. I think that he would upgrade the position at a low price, but am obviously willing to defer to the FO as to whether or not we have enough talent/depth at TE . . . . . </P>

RoanokeFan
07-01-2012, 08:36 PM

</p>

My only concern is in the event of an injury to Bennett. If that happens, we'll be left with a rookie 5th round "project" (Robinson), Beckum (who has done nothing at the position to date and will most likely not be 100% healthy), and Pascoe. IMO Pascoe is a borderline NFL player at best. . . . if he ever starts at TE it will mean that we have HUGE problems at the position.</p>

</p>

I respectfully disagree about Pascoe. The team asked him to block last year and he was awful . . . routinely getting pancaked or just thrown aside by the guy he is supposed to block.</p>

That being said, I don't think that the world would end if we didn't sign Shiancoe. I think that he would upgrade the position at a low price, but am obviously willing to defer to the FO as to whether or not we have enough talent/depth at TE . . . . . </p>

Shockey and Ballard couldn't block at first either. It's a learned behavior.

FBomb
07-01-2012, 09:51 PM

</P>

</P>

I have never taken ANYTHING personally here. Most of you don't know me personally, so why wouldanything bother me? I may drag out an arguement, but that's mostly for the entertainment of watching someone melt down because they don't agree...........oh, and because I'm right. [;)]</P>

Anyway, you are less emotional than GWAT was....it's difficult for me to believe. Did you change your meds?[:)]</P>

My meds did you stop taking drugs in front... oops? I'm not worried about you because I got you good in the past that some posters thought I took it too far. You also a liar and come with that you enjoy getting the best of others. Yeah right Fbomb that is a nice excuse.</P>

LOL....same old delusional GWAT. I got your goat so many times that it calls me daddy.</P>

GMENAGAIN
07-01-2012, 10:06 PM

</P>

</P>

I respectfully disagree about Pascoe. The team asked him to block last year and he was awful . . . routinely getting pancaked or just thrown aside by the guy he is supposed to block.</P>

That being said, I don't think that the world would end if we didn't sign Shiancoe. I think that he would upgrade the position at a low price, but am obviously willing to defer to the FO as to whether or not we have enough talent/depth at TE . . . . . </P>

</P>

The difference being thatShockey was a receiving TE who wasn't a good blocker.</P>

Pascoe is a blocking TE that isn't a good blocker.</P>

Quite frankly, Idon't think that Ballard ever became anything but a below average blocker for the position.</P>

</P>

RoanokeFan
07-01-2012, 10:23 PM

</p>

</p>

I respectfully disagree about Pascoe. The team asked him to block last year and he was awful . . . routinely getting pancaked or just thrown aside by the guy he is supposed to block.</p>

That being said, I don't think that the world would end if we didn't sign Shiancoe. I think that he would upgrade the position at a low price, but am obviously willing to defer to the FO as to whether or not we have enough talent/depth at TE . . . . . </p>

</p>

The difference being thatShockey was a receiving TE who wasn't a good blocker.</p>

Pascoe is a blocking TE that isn't a good blocker.</p>

Quite frankly, Idon't think that Ballard ever became anything but a below average blocker for the position.</p>

</p>

We'll just disagree on this one.

gmen46
07-01-2012, 11:05 PM

</P>

My only concern is in the event of an injury to Bennett.* If that happens, we'll be left with a rookie 5th round "project" (Robinson), Beckum (who has done nothing at the position to date and will most likely not be 100% healthy), and Pascoe.* IMO Pascoe is a borderline NFL player at best*. . . . if he ever starts at TE it will mean that we have HUGE problems at the position.</P>

There is always the chance an injury will surface that a team just can't seem to overcome.* But we can't assume that's going to be the case.* I am with you on Beckum but Pascoe has done what they have asked him to do.* Sometimes I think we, me included, wish every tight end was Mark Bavaro or Jeremy Shockey.* Yet if we understand the team's philosophy, we soon realize a tight end is a lineman that now and then gets a chance to make a difference.
</P>

I respectfully disagree about Pascoe.* The team asked him to block last year and he was awful . . .* routinely getting pancaked or just thrown aside by the guy he is supposed to block.</P>

That being said, I don't think that the world would end if we didn't sign Shiancoe.** I think that he would upgrade the position at a low price, but am obviously willing to defer to the FO as to whether or not we have enough talent/depth at TE . . .* . .* </P>

Granted, Pascoe missed some blocks on occasion in 2011, but not as badly and frequently as you make out. And in 2010 he did a solid job of it all season. So much so that he became the default FB when Hedge went down early in the season. They wouldn't have made Pascoe interim FB for nearly the entire season if he were the terrible blocker you make him out to be. They would have tried other alternatives if they believed him to be a "terrible" blocker.

Diamondring
07-02-2012, 12:46 AM
any team who has a TE who can block well and get out and catch the ball too has a luxury that most teams don't have. Our offense has been pretty damn good without one but can you imagine if we had a TE that defenses had to gameplan for to go along with our WRs, I think it would add a dimension that would be hard to stop.on a less ignorant note this pretty much sums it up. we don't need to sign anyone right now we are going into the season with what we have, i have my doubts of bennett but i am forced to STFU and wait out his season to cast judgement, i'm just a fan i make no decisions. but i think for every team not just ours it is wise to upgrade every position if you can, this is why we have drafts and free agency. i don't know how the TE's are going to turn out this year, Boss was a pleasant surprise, Ballard was a pleasant surprise; i'm still waiting to be surprised again. i think its fairly narrow minded to think that we will just strike gold or silver at a position every time cause it has happened in the past without addressing and upgrading through the means to do so, i can also make the same argument for O-linemen, we draft them late in hopes to groom them, this will not work forever. IMHOAre we overlooking Pascoe and Bennett or do we know something Reese and Coughlin don't?* When we lost Hedge**** to injury during the season two years ago we used Pascoe and he did a better than average job at FB/HBack.* We always seem to look for "star quality" at every position and that's just not the real world.As for Bennett, we are a team that prefers to build via the draft.* When we sign a FA, there's something they see in that player that fits the scheme.If we can assume the organization is better able to make these calls than we are, FBomb would be correct.* We've done what we're going to do at TE barring something unforeseen.please stick to the topic i am discussing about if you are going to quote me, as i easily get baited into other derivatives arguments of what i am saying, and might come across as whining to others." I am not over looking anyone i just have doubts about bennett, and i am content with what reese and co is doing." i agree we do not need to sign anyone else we are going into the season with what we have. we build through the draft right? so why is it farfetched to say i would hope we address TE* a little sooner than the 4th round in next years draft or that if there is someone of a unique talent in next years free agency i hope we look into that as well.*like i said i am just a fan i make no decisions but what i will not do is just blindly agree with or hype every decision our GM makes; i like Reese don't misconstrue that, but i am also a realist and not everything the giants organization does is gold. yes we won the superbowl with less and i hope we can do it again but the way the league is going i would like for Eli to have a "star quality" TE so to say just so we can see an added dimension to this offense.* Romo without witten would not have monster stats; witten does a lot of the work that romo gets credit for. i think a YAC monster TE in this offense would take alot of pressure off of our RB's and the slot receiver. IMHOWhy do you look at every response as a challenge?
Because any opinion that isn't 100% in lock step with is, he takes it personally.* He's almost as much fun as GWAT was.[:)]
Hey, if you read posts about me in the past as being GWAT, I am here as Diamondring. You can say the same thing about you and a lot of other posters here. Oh and you can talk that bring the GWAT back because the mods are not going to do it.
I have never taken ANYTHING personally here.* Most of you don't know me personally, so why would*anything bother me?* I may drag out an arguement, but that's mostly for the entertainment of watching someone melt down because they don't agree...........oh, and because I'm right. [;)]
Anyway, you are less emotional than GWAT was....it's difficult for me to believe.* Did you change your meds?[:)]
My meds did you stop taking drugs in front... oops? I'm not worried about you because I got you good in the past that some posters thought I took it too far. You also a liar and come with that you enjoy getting the best of others. Yeah right Fbomb that is a nice excuse.
LOL....same old delusional GWAT.* I got your goat so many times that it calls me daddy.I hope your wife paints your room pink with flowers.

GMENAGAIN
07-02-2012, 07:28 AM

</P>

</P>

</P>

The difference being thatShockey was a receiving TE who wasn't a good blocker.</P>

Pascoe is a blocking TE that isn't a good blocker.</P>

Quite frankly, Idon't think that Ballard ever became anything but a below average blocker for the position.</P>

</P>

We'll just disagree on this one.
</P>

He did make a huge play in the second Dallas game for us last year . . .. .</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
We have Bennet, Pascoe, Robertson and Hopkins at the position now. I think everyone here agrees that adding Shancoe would provide better depth, but it isn't a necessity as the likely have adequate players at the spot now. </P>

Remember, the team is very high on Hopkins, as they were with Ballard last year. </P>

And to those saying it'd be nice to have a start player at TE, I agree. But it's nice to have a star player at every position. The key though is to make sure you get star players at critical positions and even with guys as productive as Gronk and Graham, TE is not as much of a premium position as spots like WR, QB and LT. </P>

FBomb
07-02-2012, 05:47 PM
any team who has a TE who can block well and get out and catch the ball too has a luxury that most teams don't have. Our offense has been pretty damn good without one but can you imagine if we had a TE that defenses had to gameplan for to go along with our WRs, I think it would add a dimension that would be hard to stop.on a less ignorant note this pretty much sums it up. we don't need to sign anyone right now we are going into the season with what we have, i have my doubts of bennett but i am forced to STFU and wait out his season to cast judgement, i'm just a fan i make no decisions. but i think for every team not just ours it is wise to upgrade every position if you can, this is why we have drafts and free agency. i don't know how the TE's are going to turn out this year, Boss was a pleasant surprise, Ballard was a pleasant surprise; i'm still waiting to be surprised again. i think its fairly narrow minded to think that we will just strike gold or silver at a position every time cause it has happened in the past without addressing and upgrading through the means to do so, i can also make the same argument for O-linemen, we draft them late in hopes to groom them, this will not work forever. IMHOAre we overlooking Pascoe and Bennett or do we know something Reese and Coughlin don't? When we lost Hedge**** to injury during the season two years ago we used Pascoe and he did a better than average job at FB/HBack. We always seem to look for "star quality" at every position and that's just not the real world.As for Bennett, we are a team that prefers to build via the draft. When we sign a FA, there's something they see in that player that fits the scheme.If we can assume the organization is better able to make these calls than we are, FBomb would be correct. We've done what we're going to do at TE barring something unforeseen.please stick to the topic i am discussing about if you are going to quote me, as i easily get baited into other derivatives arguments of what i am saying, and might come across as whining to others." I am not over looking anyone i just have doubts about bennett, and i am content with what reese and co is doing." i agree we do not need to sign anyone else we are going into the season with what we have. we build through the draft right? so why is it farfetched to say i would hope we address TE a little sooner than the 4th round in next years draft or that if there is someone of a unique talent in next years free agency i hope we look into that as well.like i said i am just a fan i make no decisions but what i will not do is just blindly agree with or hype every decision our GM makes; i like Reese don't misconstrue that, but i am also a realist and not everything the giants organization does is gold. yes we won the superbowl with less and i hope we can do it again but the way the league is going i would like for Eli to have a "star quality" TE so to say just so we can see an added dimension to this offense. Romo without witten would not have monster stats; witten does a lot of the work that romo gets credit for. i think a YAC monster TE in this offense would take alot of pressure off of our RB's and the slot receiver. IMHOWhy do you look at every response as a challenge? Because any opinion that isn't 100% in lock step with is, he takes it personally. He's almost as much fun as GWAT was.[:)] Hey, if you read posts about me in the past as being GWAT, I am here as Diamondring. You can say the same thing about you and a lot of other posters here. Oh and you can talk that bring the GWAT back because the mods are not going to do it. I have never taken ANYTHING personally here. Most of you don't know me personally, so why wouldanything bother me? I may drag out an arguement, but that's mostly for the entertainment of watching someone melt down because they don't agree...........oh, and because I'm right. [;)] Anyway, you are less emotional than GWAT was....it's difficult for me to believe. Did you change your meds?[:)] My meds did you stop taking drugs in front... oops? I'm not worried about you because I got you good in the past that some posters thought I took it too far. You also a liar and come with that you enjoy getting the best of others. Yeah right Fbomb that is a nice excuse. LOL....same old delusional GWAT. I got your goat so many times that it calls me daddy.I hope your wife paints your room pink with flowers.</P>

LMAO!! See...this is why I wanted you back!!! I just spit out my Labbats!!![:D]</P>

FBomb
07-02-2012, 05:53 PM

</P>

</P>

i think you are wrong on your assessment of me, i neither take anything personal on a message board nor get emotional about it, the primary purpose of a message board is to debate topics of a common issue, and in a debate you argue your point with counter arguments, all while utilizing facts to pillar those arguments.

i dont know who GWAT is nor do i care, but it seems to me you enjoy arguing over the keyboard, maybe this is more personal to you than it is to me and your projecting.

just a thought.

*back to topic
</P>

Relax Nancy, see the smiley face in my post?</P>

Man....what the hell has happened to the men on this board? No one can bust balls anymore. Every post is taken as serious. Is Obama putting estrogen in the water now??!! </P>

"Lousy Democrats!!</P>

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJgTM4Nwi7VeRekjZogEHHoQL_KMWkz 6gg_9P1NVEaDZdqFrskzw"</P>

</P>

</P>

Martin
07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
We need to sign Shiancoe?

I think we need to let Jerry Reese continue to do the amazing job he has done.

When it comes to fielding a team his record
speaks for itself.

He has managed talent vs finances beautifully not to mention 2 s-bowls.

Shiancoe? I don' think so!!

RoanokeFan
07-02-2012, 08:28 PM
We need to sign Shiancoe?
<font color="#0000FF">
I think we need to let Jerry Reese continue to do the amazing job he has done.</font>

When it comes to fielding a team his record
speaks for itself.

He has managed talent vs finances beautifully not to mention 2 s-bowls.

Shiancoe? I don' think so!!
<font color="#FF0000">
Reese is lucky we haven't reduced his pay</font> [:|]