PDA

View Full Version : Amani Toomer

jppmvp90
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter" data-user-id="51263592"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name show-popup-with-id">Adam Schefter[/b]
<span>?</span><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>AdamSchefter</span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text">Former Giants WR Amani Toomer is on Sirius, saying Tony Romo is a better quarterback than Eli Manning. Agree?</p><p class="js-tweet-text">
</p><p class="js-tweet-text">
</p><p class="js-tweet-text">what is Amani doing?
</p>

Gmen2005
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
He's gone looney.

egyptian420
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
lol just seen Schefter post this, came on here immediately expecting a firestorm, I guess it's still brewing

I'm calling it right now, this will be a 7+ page thread

Cool Papa B.
07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter" data-user-id="51263592"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name show-popup-with-id">Adam Schefter[/b]
<span>?</span><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>AdamSchefter</span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text">Former Giants WR Amani Toomer is on Sirius, saying Tony Romo is a better quarterback than Eli Manning. Agree?</p><p class="js-tweet-text">
</p>

Still hungover from his July 4th party I guess...

MikeIsaGiant
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
What is up with Ex-giants and their habitual knack for ranting on Eli?

LOL, what the ****?

BigBlue1971
07-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Toomers comments are a gaffe if i ever seen one. </P>

i wonder if Osi will be asking us to forgive Toomer in a coupla years!</P>

MikeIsaGiant
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Maybe he's hyping Manning up for the season!

sharick88
07-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Great. Another sell out. Stray is only true giant we have left in the media

Cool Papa B.
07-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Didn't he call out Tuck a few years ago?

repeatchamps
07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
What an ungrateful bum. He has his only Super Bowl ring thanks in large part to Eli Manning.

giantsfan420
07-05-2012, 05:10 PM
he is prob trying to further his journalism career by saying something controversial to garner attention. only viable reason i can come to...

i mean like why would he make that statement? did he just say it out of nowhere, was he asked directly about romo and eli?

seems to be bush league, even if toomer feels this way, u dont often hear members of a championship team say a member of the rival team is better than his teammate...

kinda lame by toomer if u ask me

GMENAGAIN
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Toomer says a lot of dumb **** on Sirius . . . . .

ny06
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
http://media.nj.com/jets_impact/photo/10788848-large.jpg</P>

Toomer: I know you're better then Romo, but I want to get some shock rating. </P>

sharick88
07-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Didn't he call out Tuck a few years ago?

Yeah, but so what. Same guy was the only guy in the media picking us to win all of our playoff games too. Can't think of anyone else that did that

Rudyy
07-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Eli is a proven winner. Tony Romp is a good quarterback, but has not proved he has what it takes to perform under pressure. I don't care what Amani says really.

THE_New_York_Giants
07-05-2012, 05:21 PM
lol

I think he is just trying to get his name in the media.

stumms
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
The only thing Romo does better is running other then that Eli is better. Tiki Toomer need to shut up.

Seducer
07-05-2012, 05:24 PM
C'mon, Toomer. That's ridiculous.</P>

Signed,</P>

Skip Bayless</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
The only thing Romo does better is running other then that Eli is better. Tiki Toomer need to shut up.
everyone is entitled to their opinion. Not like he is talking trash.

buddy33
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
That is the reason why the Eagles and Dallas will always be favored over the Giants. The media has a thing for both Vick and Romo.

I like it. Keeps Eli under the radar as being the best QB in the division.

JesseJames
07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
it looks like Toomer is just looking to get his name in the headlines, my question is why would he want it in there with this kind of junk..

repeatchamps
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
That is the reason why the Eagles and Dallas will always be favored over the Giants. The media has a thing for both Vick and Romo. I like it. Keeps Eli under the radar as being the best QB in the division.</P>

That's fine, but do his ex-teammates that are in the media have to continue bashing him every chance they get? The man got Toomer his only Super Bowl ring. What the heck did Eli do to these guys that they constantly feel the need to bash him and belittle his achievements and abilities. Heck not even Plax has said something like this about his ex-teammateEli.</P>

yoeddy
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I believe Toomer got July 4 and April 1 mixed up...

TuckYou
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Eli should sayNicks and Cruzare better WRs then Toomer. He wouldnt be lying would he?

Joe Morrison
07-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Eli is a proven winner. Tony Romp is a good quarterback, but has not proved he has what it takes to perform under pressure. I don't care what Amani says really.</P>

Got in on the show late but that is basically what Toomer did say.</P>

jppmvp90
07-05-2012, 06:49 PM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/OsiUmenyiora" data-user-id="570073131"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name show-popup-with-id">Osi Umenyiora[/b]
<span>?</span><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>OsiUmenyiora</span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text"><s>@</s>AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter) They will be Booing my guy toomer at Giants stadium. That we can agree on</p><p class="js-tweet-text">
</p><p class="js-tweet-text"><a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/TerrellThomas24" data-user-id="106592374"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name show-popup-with-id">Terrell Thomas[/b]
<span>?</span><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>TerrellThomas24</span>
</a>

</p><p class="js-tweet-text">Man toomer my dog and a great giant,
helped me a lot as a young rook but aint no way romo better then
Eli...both good QB's but... Well</p>

Toadofsteel
07-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I have a feeling this is all out of context... maybe he was being asked statistically speaking. Romo does in fact have better stats for 85% of the season, it's just that Eli is the definition of clutch while Romo just pukes all over himself on the big plays and games... Personally, I'll take the clutch one over the one with better stats. Enjoy the offseason Romo, it's the only time you get to feel like a champ...

jints10
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I think Toomer is still bitter by not getting targeted in the 2008 playoffs. Also the way he was let go without getting a chance to fight for a job

Toadofsteel
07-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I think Toomer is still bitter by not getting targeted in the 2008 playoffs. Also the way he was let go without getting a chance to fight for a job

That's not him burning bridges though... that's the front office doing that. It's just one of the many tragedies that being a business has brought upon both the players and us...

Moss#83
07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
This is very disturbing.

Moss#83
07-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Great. Another sell out. Stray is only true giant we have left in the mediaAntonio Pierce mentioned Eli being better than Peyton.

SweetZombieJesus
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Is Toomer looking at real estate in Texas?

sharick88
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Eli is a made man in New York. Toomer should be sleeping with the fishes by dawn.

Rudyy
07-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Eli is a proven winner. Tony Romp is a good quarterback, but has not proved he has what it takes to perform under pressure. I don't care what Amani says really.</P>

Got in on the show late but that is basically what Toomer did say.</P> Then I don't understand how Romo is "better" than Eli then. It terms of stats? Sure.

FBomb
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Everytime Eli gets "dissed" in the offseason he wins Superbowls!!! </P>

Everyone enjoy the circus, but Eli will quietly take it all in and play with that chip on his shouder....again.</P>

AT has a right to his opinion....no matter how wrong it is. You go with the "clutch" QB over the flashy stats guy that chokes in big games.</P>

GMENAGAIN
07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I think Toomer is still bitter by not getting targeted in the 2008 playoffs. Also the way he was let go without getting a chance to fight for a job</P>

The guy was shot when the Giants let him go . . . . didn't even make it past the first round of cuts with KC and then he was out of the league for good . . . </P>

giantsfan420
07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
read what toomer said in context. he never actually said romo is better than eli. he said that in terms of comp % and ints romo has the better numbers, and he does.
and eli destroys romo in the 4th and in the clutch, and is as impressive, just not in those two stats...

ok i tried...while reading what toomer actually said has lessened my frustration, i still dont get where hes coming from and find his opinion questionable.

Snappinnecks
07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Amazing! Eli wins two damn super bowls against Tom Brady AND STILL gets criticized!! I'm convinced Eli is not going to recognized as a great QB until AFTER he leaves the league and is retired.

jomo
07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
What he meant to say is that Romo is a better fantasy footbal quarterback than Eli. It is close but at least he's not crazy. [:D]</P>

barran21
07-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Amani was either drunk or has a Toomer in his brain...

zimonami
07-05-2012, 10:39 PM
This one is hard to believe. In 2007, on the way to helping Amani get his Superbowl ring, the Giants beat the Cowboys. Eli threw 2 TD's to Amani and was 12 for 18 with 0 INT's Mr Romo, Amani's boy, Mr. 31 TD's and only 10 INT's, was 18 for 36 and threw a most significant INT... his last pass of that game.

Somehow, all those INT's that Eli threw in 2010 are hard for people to forget... many people define his career by that one bad season of INT's... I won't get into how many of those were off the hands of the receivers, because even Eli doesn't fall back on that excuse... he simply said, with class, that he had to make better decisions, and improve in 2011.

I guess he didn't improve enough to impress everyone, including an ex-team mate.

And, meanwhile, how did Tony do last post season? ... Huh? Oh, nevermind.

Brandon jacobs
07-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Stats are so over rated when the QB in question(ROMO) can't even lead his team. his stats my be good but he's just not a leader.

rainierjef
07-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Everytime Eli gets "dissed" in the offseason he wins Superbowls!!!* </P>

Everyone enjoy the circus, but Eli will quietly take it all in and play with that chip on his shouder....again.</P>

AT has a right to his opinion....no matter how wrong it is.* You go with the "clutch" QB over the flashy stats guy that chokes in big games.</P>
im on my phone when i read this and shook my head in agreement and was like exactly this... then i scrolled over and saw that it was from you. I think im going to be sick

gumby742
07-05-2012, 11:23 PM
lol. Why do you guys care so much? Both are really good QBs.

The fact that we have 2 SBs is good enough for me.

Rudyy
07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
This one is hard to believe. In 2007, on the way to helping Amani get his Superbowl ring, the Giants beat the Cowboys. Eli threw 2 TD's to Amani and was 12 for 18 with 0 INT's Mr Romo, Amani's boy, Mr. 31 TD's and only 10 INT's, was 18 for 36 and threw a most significant INT... his last pass of that game.

Somehow, all those INT's that Eli threw in 2010 are hard for people to forget... many people define his career by that one bad season of INT's... I won't get into how many of those were off the hands of the receivers, because even Eli doesn't fall back on that excuse... he simply said, with class, that he had to make better decisions, and improve in 2011.

I guess he didn't improve enough to impress everyone, including an ex-team mate.

And, meanwhile, how did Tony do last post season? ... Huh? Oh, nevermind.It's funny really, Eli is only good because he has great receivers around him. Yet in 2012, when those receivers were tipping passes leading to INT's, it was all Eli's fault.

Harooni
07-05-2012, 11:57 PM
What is up with Ex-giants and their habitual knack for ranting on Eli?

LOL, what the ****?

its probably called having a non homer honest opinion [:D]

buddy33
07-06-2012, 12:13 AM
So Tiki bashes Eli and he wins a Super Bowl MVP. Then Kay tries to set Eli up with the top QB question and he wins another Super Bowl MVP.

Does anyone really think Eli cares what these guys think? Hasn't he proven to be about the coolest player under pressure and never flinches even with the NY media in his grill?

JJC7301
07-06-2012, 12:18 AM
I disagree, but I do think that Romo is a good QB. But he's not better than Eli.

I didn't hear the interview, but when it comes to Eli & Romo comparisons the best way to phrase the question would be to ask the responder (i.e. Toomer), "Who would YOU rather have as your QB of YOUR team?" That usually settles it quickly in Eli's favor.

Antwuan
07-06-2012, 12:32 AM
And Jerry Jones said after the NFC Championship Game that Eli Manning had the edge on Tony Romo.

manning to shockey
07-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Or how about this, which QB can potentially be voted into the hall of fame if both careers ended today?

Antwuan
07-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Or how about this, which QB can potentially be voted into the hall of fame if both careers ended today?

Eli Manning!

BeatYale
07-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Maybe he's referring to stats. On paper, Romo dusts Eli in efficiency. Eli turns the ball over a lot more.

http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning/2505996/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/tonyromo/2505354/careerstats

giantsfan420
07-06-2012, 12:49 AM
And Jerry Jones said after the NFC Championship Game that Eli Manning had the edge on Tony Romo.

thats an interesting point. recently JJ said something about how he wished Romo was more like Eli or something too...

toomer was def in journalist mode trying to further his career...

buffyblue
07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Amani Toomer is out pf his ****ing mind. If it weren't for Eli Manning he never would have gotten a SuperBowl Ring.

I think Amani Toomer is just trying to audition for a better analyst job. It is his opinion but he shouldn't sell his ex teammates out. I also thought thlthough he was right in saying that he would take Eli Manning over Tom Brady with the game on the line that Rodney Harrison should ha r kept that comment to himself.

Opinions are opinions but loyalty is loyalty and that comea first.

Martyr
07-06-2012, 01:21 AM
I think Toomer might be refering to his last few seasons where he had to sometimes catch some bad balls from Eli.</P>

Romo is a very good Qb I dont see how this is a huge dis.</P>

Flip Empty
07-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Meh. Nothing worth fussing over.

Rat_bastich
07-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Okay, I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Things like this are like an infection, they grow and they spread rapidly. Reread/listen again to what Toomer said. He said:

“Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it statistically, he’s probably the best quarterback in the NFC East,” Toomer said. “You look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, talking about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy can play.”

You cannot deny this. Eli has only found consistency in the last year. And, Romo can play...who else in the NFC East do you fear? Not Vick and definitely not whoever the Redskins put out there.

Then he went on to say:

“At crunch time he’s not as good as Eli but every other time he’s pretty darn good,” Toomer said.

You cannot deny this either.

I am not getting where Toomer didn't tell the truth and where everyone is flying off the handle. He wasn't dissing Eli and was saying that he is clutch.

Up until this last year it was either the defense show up or the offense show up. Their was no consistent play from the quarterback spot. This last year...which I hope was not a fluke...the offense pretty much ran the table.

And, even though this will be Romo's 10th season and only Eli's 9th, Eli still has a 2 season head start because Manning started gettng time in 2004 and Romo not until 2006. His effeciency rating is 14 points higher than Eli's(96.9 v. 82.1). Statistically he does more with the ball than Eli when he has it.

Toomer didn't lie.

bigblue58
07-06-2012, 02:35 AM
</a>

</p>

Toomer is just another gutless former player who doesn't have the stones to pick a fight with the front office that let him go, so he takes out his bruised ego on the one easy target on the Giants who he knows won't bite back!
I thought that it was all about the championships you win..not what you do in the regular season that counts the most to these players?
Romo has won nothing while Eli has 2 rings and 2 SB MVP trophies....neither one won cheaply.... but earned with great post season and SB performances.
Toomer should just shut his mouth before he ends up on pariah island with that other turncoat Tiki Barber!
Like Barber...Toomer can't stand the fact that the team didn't live to regret his absence.

giantsfan420
07-06-2012, 02:41 AM
odd how toomer failed to mention how elis postseason and sb stats (which are more important games vs tougher opponents) are better than romos reg season stats...just saying...

besdies, using arbitrary numbers to define a qb is a flawed process. i dont think u'd find some one with an understanding of pro football thatd tell you romos the better qb...eli is pretty clearly the superior qb. in fact, these two qbs and this comparison is the perfect example of how basing an opinion solely on a stat can be so misleading...

BlueBlooded1979
07-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Last time I checked 5,000 yards doesn't happen in only "clutch moments". The Giants passing attack was flat out feared this year. Demarco Murray was the best part of the Cowgirls offense this year.

Rat_bastich
07-06-2012, 03:51 AM
I'm not taking anything away from Eli but the whole year was a fluke for the whole NFL. Look at all the quarterbacks that broke 4,000 and were on the precipice of 5,000. Matthew Stafford broke 5,000 as did Brady and Brees. Rodgers was probably 2 games or one really outstandng game(400 yards) from doing it and Eli was just shy. Even Romo broke the 4k mark and his offense was Murray.

I guarantee that this will not happen this year unless it is Brees.

And, as I said before Toomer pointed out that statistically and consistency wise Romo has been better, but clutch he would rather Eli have the ball and lead the team.

Everyone gets their panties in a bunch over what a person says an ex-player says when he actually gave out some compliments and pointed out something based on statistics. And, yes statistics can be misconstrued but they also provide facts. Toomer never said Eli was a bad quarterback.

I still would rather have Eli leading this team and quarterbacking and whatever else he wants to do, but don't deny what Romo has done or that he is not a good quarterback.

jints10
07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
I think Toomer is still bitter by not getting targeted in the 2008 playoffs. Also the way he was let go without getting a chance to fight for a job</P>

The guy was shot when the Giants let him go . . . . didn't even make it past the first round of cuts with KC and then he was out of the league for good . . .* </P>
So you think in an open competition Amani would not have beat out Sinorce Moss? That was a move for youth plain and simple and it was probably the same in KC.

GCGiant
07-06-2012, 08:14 AM
I am going to just throw something out there for all to ponder. I have read somewhere that Eli has a nickname amongst the teammates as "Godfather". I don't really know if that is true or not.

Let's ponder the possiblility that it is true. Let's go further and speculate that Eli has been in on the decision making process since, say...'07. Is it possible that he had a say in the release of Toomer, trade of Shockey, not giving Tiki another chance, not giving Plax another chance...maybe not even giving Smith another chance. It could explain a lot.

jakegibbs
07-06-2012, 08:25 AM
</a>

</p>

Still hungover from his July 4th party I guess...

He basically said in a round about way if you want fantasy football numbers then Romo is your man & statistically he's the best in the NFC East but if you want playoff wins & SB Trophys then Eli your man.

Sounded pretty logical to me anyway. Stats.. smats.. rings are better... I'll take the playoff wins & SB Victories everytime & Romo can continue to beat Eli out of the Pro-Bowl ballets.

Heck one year Romo played half season & gints went 11-5 & Romo went to probowl & Eli sat home.

Doom dispair & agony on me... Deep dark depression constant misery....

rainierjef
07-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Okay, I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Things like this are like an infection, they grow and they spread rapidly. Reread/listen again to what Toomer said. He said:

“Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it statistically, he’s probably the best quarterback in the NFC East,” Toomer said. “You look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, talking about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy can play.”

You cannot deny this. Eli has only found consistency in the last year. And, Romo can play...who else in the NFC East do you fear? Not Vick and definitely not whoever the Redskins put out there.

Then he went on to say:

“At crunch time he’s not as good as Eli but every other time he’s pretty darn good,” Toomer said.

You cannot deny this either.

I am not getting where Toomer didn't tell the truth and where everyone is flying off the handle. He wasn't dissing Eli and was saying that he is clutch.

Up until this last year it was either the defense show up or the offense show up. Their was no consistent play from the quarterback spot. This last year...which I hope was not a fluke...the offense pretty much ran the table.

And, even though this will be Romo's 10th season and only Eli's 9th, Eli still has a 2 season head start because Manning started gettng time in 2004 and Romo not until 2006. His effeciency rating is 14 points higher than Eli's(96.9 v. 82.1). Statistically he does more with the ball than Eli when he has it.

Toomer didn't lie.

your wasting your time. this is just the course of things when a player says something about eli coughlin or reese thats rubs these guys the wrong way. no matter what they did for the team they are now outcasts and everything they did is somewhat forgotten

buddy33
07-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Dorothy
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Romo can have all the stats, but there is one he doesn't have, a sb win:
Eli 2

Romo: 0

Winner: yeeeeeeeeeessssssssss.

gumby742
07-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Okay, I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Things like this are like an infection, they grow and they spread rapidly. Reread/listen again to what Toomer said. He said: “Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it statistically, he’s probably the best quarterback in the NFC East,” Toomer said. “You look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, talking about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy can play.” You cannot deny this. Eli has only found consistency in the last year. And, Romo can play...who else in the NFC East do you fear? Not Vick and definitely not whoever the Redskins put out there. Then he went on to say: “At crunch time he’s not as good as Eli but every other time he’s pretty darn good,” Toomer said. You cannot deny this either. I am not getting where Toomer didn't tell the truth and where everyone is flying off the handle. He wasn't dissing Eli and was saying that he is clutch. Up until this last year it was either the defense show up or the offense show up. Their was no consistent play from the quarterback spot. This last year...which I hope was not a fluke...the offense pretty much ran the table. And, even though this will be Romo's 10th season and only Eli's 9th, Eli still has a 2 season head start because Manning started gettng time in 2004 and Romo not until 2006. His effeciency rating is 14 points higher than Eli's(96.9 v. 82.1). Statistically he does more with the ball than Eli when he has it. Toomer didn't lie.</P>

This is really it. Toomer technically didn't say anything wrong. If people disagree with it, that's fine. I know I do. But I'm not going to slam him just because his criteria for "better" is different than mine. If people want to look at stats that's fine. If people want to look at SB and post season wins, that's fine. It's a discussion.</P>

buddy33
07-06-2012, 09:56 AM
The stats do favor Romo but when asked who he would draft he said Romo. This after he said he would rather play with Eli. So you would rather play for Eli even though you think Romo is better?

DEgiants89
07-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Okay, I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Things like this are like an infection, they grow and they spread rapidly. Reread/listen again to what Toomer said. He said: “Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it statistically, he’s probably the best quarterback in the NFC East,” Toomer said. “You look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, talking about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy can play.” You cannot deny this. Eli has only found consistency in the last year. And, Romo can play...who else in the NFC East do you fear? Not Vick and definitely not whoever the Redskins put out there. Then he went on to say: “At crunch time he’s not as good as Eli but every other time he’s pretty darn good,” Toomer said. You cannot deny this either. I am not getting where Toomer didn't tell the truth and where everyone is flying off the handle. He wasn't dissing Eli and was saying that he is clutch. Up until this last year it was either the defense show up or the offense show up. Their was no consistent play from the quarterback spot. This last year...which I hope was not a fluke...the offense pretty much ran the table. And, even though this will be Romo's 10th season and only Eli's 9th, Eli still has a 2 season head start because Manning started gettng time in 2004 and Romo not until 2006. His effeciency rating is 14 points higher than Eli's(96.9 v. 82.1). Statistically he does more with the ball than Eli when he has it. Toomer didn't lie.</P>

This is really it.* Toomer technically didn't say anything wrong.* If people disagree with it, that's fine.* I know I do.* But I'm not going to slam him just because his criteria for "better" is different than mine.* If people want to look at stats that's fine.* If people want to look at SB and post season wins, that's fine.* It's a discussion.</P>

truth!!

DEgiants89
07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
The stats do favor Romo but when asked who he would draft he said Romo. This after he said he would rather play with Eli. So you would rather play for Eli even though you think Romo is better?

sure cuz amani said he is better in the clutch. It is kindve like would you rather play for Philip Rivers or Tim Tebow....one puts up REDIC stats and the other is just clutch.....obv Rivers is a better statistical QB but Tebow just wins.

buddy33
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Doesn't that sound strange though? When asked if he was a GM who he would draft he said Romo. He also said he would rather play for Eli. So you would assume you would rather play for the better QB no? He said he would draft Romo based on STATS. He, a former player, seems to be confusing real football with fantasy football.

GeoGoGo
07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I didn't realize Toomer has so many concussions.

What else other than head trauma could cause him to say something so stupid?

He must have Tiki as a manager.

buddy33
07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
In his defense, Toomer didn't question the leadership qualities of Eli which is what Tiki did.

Toadofsteel
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Seriously guys, Amani isn't bashing Eli at all... I'd still take Eli at the QB position over Romo any day of the year...

http://socialmediarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ButtHurt.jpg

zimonami
07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
In his defense, Toomer didn't question the leadership qualities of Eli which is what Tiki did.
Eli was still learning and hadn't yet commanded the respect that he has today. That was, basicallty,Tiki's point. It was the way he said it which deserves criticism. Tiki was still learning, and hadn't gained any respect as an announcer.

Toomer made the same mistake, in the way he said his piece. I'd probably draft Romo, too. At that college stage we're also looking at athleticism. Eli's leadership qualities are different... things you don't know about until they reach the highest level... poise, ability to learn to read defenses, ability to remain calm when you're being blitzed by Ray Lewis. Once you get past Eli's inate goofiness and "Aw shucks" demeanor, you find he has those subtle tools. He was raised to read a football defense... that was the thing he has always had, and it's a trait that not all NFL QB's can master... like a Kerry Collins who had all the athletic tools, but was not allowed to call an audible after the 2002 season because he could never read defenses,
Tiki didn't stay around enough to see Eli mature... People are won over to Eli more as time goes by, and you have the chance to see that he wins under conditions where Romo's athleticism wasn't enough.
Bottom line, I bet Amani knows who will win the big game for him... Eli over Tony, regardless of the carrot that Romo's athleticism holds out there. That
s not to say that Romo won't get there... he just has to keep working and learning.

yoeddy
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
The issue with Tiki wasn't what he said...it's how he said it, why he said it, and generally about his agenda and motives around what he says. He's incredibly ego-centric and condescending, and at the end of the day, no one likes someone who is not genuine or trust-worthy....

Toomer is probably a lot like other WRs in the league...interested in catching the ball a lot, and to a guy like him, running up stats is a priority. That's pretty much what he said...that Romo's stats are better and that's what he preferred. It wasn't a comment that was malicious or particularly self-serving...

blueomaha
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Romo can have all the stats, but there is one he doesn't have, a sb win:
Eli 2

Romo: 0

Winner: yeeeeeeeeeessssssssss.just think...Tebow has as many playoff wins as Romo...Toomer, you sound like an idiot....

Harooni
07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Romo does not have the defense Eli has and that is mostly y he has no rings. Peyton only got one when his D woke up that season. However I disgree with Toomer there was a time Romo was better but Eli past him a year and a half or so ago.

Moss#83
07-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Romo does not have the defense Eli has and that is mostly y he has no rings. Peyton only got one when his D woke up that season. However I disgree with Toomer there was a time Romo was better but Eli past him a year and a half or so ago.
Romo has had some pretty good defenses throughout his career.

XxBigWhitxX
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Sice Eli has become QB the Giants have had a better defense a total of 2 times. 07' 10'

Harooni
07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Romo has had some pretty good defenses throughout his career. they have had some good players but not really a great defense. weak secondary comes to mind.

giantsfan420
07-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Eli was still learning and hadn't yet commanded the respect that he has today. That was, basicallty,Tiki's point. It was the way he said it which deserves criticism. Tiki was still learning, and hadn't gained any respect as an announcer.

Toomer made the same mistake, in the way he said his piece. I'd probably draft Romo, too. At that college stage we're also looking at athleticism. Eli's leadership qualities are different... things you don't know about until they reach the highest level... poise, ability to learn to read defenses, ability to remain calm when you're being blitzed by Ray Lewis. Once you get past Eli's inate goofiness and "Aw shucks" demeanor, you find he has those subtle tools. He was raised to read a football defense... that was the thing he has always had, and it's a trait that not all NFL QB's can master... like a Kerry Collins who had all the athletic tools, but was not allowed to call an audible after the 2002 season because he could never read defenses,
Tiki didn't stay around enough to see Eli mature... People are won over to Eli more as time goes by, and you have the chance to see that he wins under conditions where Romo's athleticism wasn't enough.
Bottom line, I bet Amani knows who will win the big game for him... Eli over Tony, regardless of the carrot that Romo's athleticism holds out there. That
s not to say that Romo won't get there... he just has to keep working and learning.

i just want to address ur point about college career and how people didnt know of the qualities eli possessed...not true at all. Eli was a highly sought after talent, he was the #1 pick and it was more than just being peytons brother...if u had seen him in college u'd realize that all the qualities he's getting praise for now, he displayed at Ole Miss...

and harooni...Romo's Cowboys have had the better ranked defense every season both have been starters except 2 lol...nice try tho...the cowboys dont have the coaching and ownership the giants do, that i would agree with...not defense...

zimonami
07-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Here are Amani's own words... “For me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions, (be) more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo. At crunch time, he's not as good as Eli, but every other time, he's pretty darn good.”

Now, I ask you... Don't we evaluate our very top athletes by the way they perform in crunch time?

Jordan hitting the J with 2 seconds on the clock?

Coming through with the big hit, or the big strike out with 2 down in the 9th?

Eli coming through in the 4th quarter on his last possession?

Romo throws an INT on his last possession of the 2007 playoff against the Giants.

Every Pro is evaluated during crunch time... NOT from nice stats generated early in the game. They're nice to have, but they don't win when performance counts at the end

zimonami
07-06-2012, 05:10 PM

i just want to address ur point about college career and how people didnt know of the qualities eli possessed...not true at all. Eli was a highly sought after talent, he was the #1 pick and it was more than just being peytons brother...if u had seen him in college u'd realize that all the qualities he's getting praise for now, he displayed at Ole Miss...

and harooni...Romo's Cowboys have had the better ranked defense every season both have been starters except 2 lol...nice try tho...the cowboys dont have the coaching and ownership the giants do, that i would agree with...not defense...
You're absolutely right GF420.
All other things being equal, if Eli's class included Big Ben, Eli, and Rivers, AND if Romo were in that caliber of QB, and in that year, there would be some that liked his athleticism over Eli. That's why many love Vick.

giantsfan420
07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
iirc, romo was the backup at michigan state...

zimonami
07-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Yup, and Brady was drafted at the bottom of the barrel.
Who ever knows, except in hindsight.

giantsfan420
07-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Yup, and Brady was drafted at the bottom of the barrel.
Who ever knows, except in hindsight.

true. i was just adding context to ur point about college class and if romo had been in elis/rivers/bens...

FUUFNF
07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
All other things being equal, if Eli's class included Big Ben, Eli, and Rivers, AND if Romo were in that caliber of QB, and in that year, there would be some that liked his athleticism over Eli. That's why many love Vick.

There may have been some GMs that liked Romo's athleticism, but I can guarantee you none of them would have picked Romo over Eli that draft (and kept their job the next day).

miked1958
07-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Is this the same Toomer that is wearing a SB ring as a direct result of what Eli Manning did on that last drive. If romo was Toomers QB then he would have as many SB rings as romo does. Which is currently still at zero.

sharick88
07-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I was actually driving home from work and he was on ESPN radio. Pretty much did not back down and also slighted Manning's role in winning his two super bowl rings. He just came off as completely bitter and attention starved. He is a done deal when it comes to me.

zimonami
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM

There may have been some GMs that liked Romo's athleticism, but I can guarantee you none of them would have picked Romo over Eli that draft (and kept their job the next day).
I unbderstand your, and GF420 point about Romo's status in college. He was inknown. I never heard of him until he was with the Cowboys. What I'm saying is... if Romo did have the kind of recognition then as he does now, and considered one of the best in his class, his athleticism would have been one of his assets rated higher than Eli.
I stretched a point that I shouldn't have even made...lol.

n420p69
07-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Amani is a stupid idiot apparently.

zimonami
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM

The thing is, I think he caught us by surprise. Has there ever been words out of his mouth that seemed so out of character?
Soemhow, I think he has a subliminal bitter feeling about the Gmen dropping him.
As a Pro athlete he should know statistics are not always a barometer of greatness

RoanokeFan
07-08-2012, 09:42 PM

He's simply comparing statistics. That doesn't make him an idiot.

buddy33
07-08-2012, 11:37 PM
I've said it before. I don't care if he thinks Romo is a better QB. Just say it and stick to your comment. Don't go on the radio the next day and say you would rather play with Eli. No you wouldn't. What kind of athltete are you Toomer? Athletes want to win. So if Romo is the better QB in your mind you would have rather played with him. Also, when asked if he, Toomer, was a GM who he would draft he said Romo. Really Toomer? So Romo is better than Eli and you would draft him over Eli yet you want to play with Eli? Lol. Stick to what you said. No one is buying it now.

NYG 5
07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
the thing with Tiki's comments is i don't think he intended them to sound as malicious as he did. with the "mental midget" comment, I think he just meant Eli could be great if he would just get out of his own way and believe in himself. those comments were made when he was young and did the droopy shoulders all the time.

the difference between him and Amani is that Amani is saying this with many years of each player's body of work laid out. i think its more of a snub than what Tiki said

Rudyy
07-09-2012, 12:20 AM
I've said it before. I don't care if he thinks Romo is a better QB. Just say it and stick to your comment. Don't go on the radio the next day and say you would rather play with Eli. No you wouldn't. What kind of athltete are you Toomer? Athletes want to win. So if Romo is the better QB in your mind you would have rather played with him. Also, when asked if he, Toomer, was a GM who he would draft he said Romo. Really Toomer? So Romo is better than Eli and you would draft him over Eli yet you want to play with Eli? Lol. Stick to what you said. No one is buying it now. +1000000

buffyblue
07-09-2012, 03:05 AM
the thing with Tiki's comments is i don't think he intended them to sound as malicious as he did. with the "mental midget" comment, I think he just meant Eli could be great if he would just get out of his own way and believe in himself. those comments were made when he was young and did the droopy shoulders all the time.

the difference between him and Amani is that Amani is saying this with many years of each player's body of work laid out. i think its more of a snub than what Tiki said

I have to disagree with this. Tiki Barber and Amani Toomer both made their statements because they are bitter. The statements Tiki made about Eli Manning were clearly malicious and it was so nice that NY Giants won SuperBowl the very next season after he retired. Amani is just upset because NY Giants released him and Hakeem Nicks and Vicrtor Cruz are better than he ever was.

These two schmucks publically sold their ex teammate under the bus because they are jealous malcontents. I applaud Michael Strahan for defending Eli Manning as well as Jeremy Shockey defending Eli Manning.

Firenugget
07-09-2012, 06:44 AM

He's simply comparing statistics. That doesn't make him an idiot.

Nope, it doesn't. But saying Romo is a better QB based on pure stats just may. Also claiming Eli had the better teams his whole career may.

Rat_bastich
07-09-2012, 07:18 AM
The point is and what was brought up by various posters peppered throughout this diatribe is that Amani did not diss Eli. Statistically, Romo is the more efficient quarterback. That cannot be refuted. He gets the ball into the hands of receivers, backs and tight-ends more often.

However, Toomer also said that Eli is more clutch. When it comes to crunch time, Eli is the better quarterback. The majority are only reading part of his comments.

And, I know it is being said over and over that stats don't matter. They do matter because if Eli was more efficient he may never even had to get to "crunch time". The problem we had last year is that Eli has had to bring us back numerous times...we cannot keep playing like this. Eventually the comebacks are going to run out.

And, resorting to calling people names when they express a very valid opinion(Amani) is childish.

Summary:
1) Statistically Romo is more efficient.
2) In crunch time Eli is better.
3) Amani said both of these.

yoeddy
07-09-2012, 08:27 AM

I have to disagree with this. Tiki Barber and Amani Toomer both made their statements because they are bitter. The statements Tiki made about Eli Manning were clearly malicious and it was so nice that NY Giants won SuperBowl the very next season after he retired. Amani is just upset because NY Giants released him and Hakeem Nicks and Vicrtor Cruz are better than he ever was.

These two schmucks publically sold their ex teammate under the bus because they are jealous malcontents. I applaud Michael Strahan for defending Eli Manning as well as Jeremy Shockey defending Eli Manning.

I'm going to disagree with it too...I think Tiki is an ego-centric snob who thinks he's smarter than everyone else and has a self-serving agenda and motive behind everything he says and does.

Toomer isn't bright enough to have these kinds of agendas...as he has explained, he just wanted to show that he did some research on Romo...

n420p69
07-10-2012, 10:48 PM
RF I respect the hell out of you, but you know better then most that statistics do not mean everything. The only stat that matters is winning and Eli has done that time and time again, Romo has not. He might have every single regular season number statistic over Eli but there is no way in hell he is even better, or in the same class. Tony Romo is a poor mans version of Arod without the ring, someone who will fold when the pressure is on even if that is the first game of the season pressure.