PDA

View Full Version : WHY..... do players continue to "burn bridges" after they depart?

NYG4lifeNYK
07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Amani Toomer is one of my all time favorite Giants and I won't think any less of him for saying Romo is a better QB than Eli but you have got to be ****ing kidding me... if he ACTUALLY does believe that he's just as ignorant as most other analysts who praise the Cowboys and spit on the Giants.

<div class="thread_post"><div class="thread_post_header">
Didn't Strahan say that when he first broke into broadcasting, <div class="thread_info"> Exit 172 (http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=5&amp;handle=Exit%20172) : 3:44 pm </div></div><div class="thread_post_body">
he felt like he almost had to be anti-Giants to prove he wasn't going to be a Giants homer on the air?

Maybe Toomer is going through this phase as well?

Either that, or he's just trying to stir the pot, which is how many sports analyst choose to distinguish themselves these days.

I just can't imagine Toomer actually believes that.</div></div>
There's no point in even saying that, stick to your damn guns and roots. Saying something just to appease people is selling out.

Just a moronic statement to make and it seems like all our former players make these remarks.

JesseJames
07-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Amani Toomer is one of my all time favorite Giants and I won't think any less of him for saying Romo is a better QB than Eli but you have got to be ****ing kidding me... if he ACTUALLY does believe that he's just as ignorant as most other analysts who praise the Cowboys and spit on the Giants.

Didn't Strahan say that when he first broke into broadcasting, <div class="thread_info"> Exit 172 (http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=5&handle=Exit%20172) : 3:44 pm </div></div><div class="thread_post_body">
he felt like he almost had to be anti-Giants to prove he wasn't going to be a Giants homer on the air?

Either that, or he's just trying to stir the pot, which is how many sports analyst choose to distinguish themselves these days.

There's no point in even saying that, stick to your damn guns and roots. Saying something just to appease people is selling out.

Just a moronic statement to make and it seems like all our former players make these remarks.

I get the feeling that these ex football players in the media say things like this just to show their new bosses that they will say the controversial thing even if its against their old teammates..

TuckYou
07-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Eli isnt even a top 100 player in the NFL, and the Giants will finish last in the NFC East.

Kase-1
07-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Amani is one of my all time favorite Giants, but WTF is he going around town putting his foot in his mouth. Why should people care if they're labeled a 'homer', he SHOULD be a damned homer, he played his whole career as a Giant and was loved and respected by the fans and owners. For him to come out and say this and that just to avoid the 'homer' label is selling out and I really dont like it

NYG4lifeNYK
07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Amani is one of my all time favorite Giants, but WTF is he going around town putting his foot in his mouth. Why should people care if they're labeled a 'homer', he SHOULD be a damned homer, he played his whole career as a Giant and was loved and respected by the fans and owners. For him to come out and say this and that just to avoid the 'homer' label is selling out and I really dont like it

+1

However he can branch out of the "Giant bias" other ways... he can say other things that don't necessarily ring true with how he feels.

I hope this is the last time Amani sells out... it's a sad thing to see a man like this become just another talking head [:(]

Strahan is really the only Giant that remains true to us... and Howard Cross.

rainierjef
07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
do you hate him for saying that? its honestly is apart of his job as an analyst to say that. whether he means it or is being controversial hes still a giants legend

NYG4lifeNYK
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
do you hate him for saying that? its honestly is apart of his job as an analyst to say that. whether he means it or is being controversial hes still a giants legend

You don't have to sell out to do your job, sorry.

We'll see if this is an on-going occurrence in the future or if he's just doing this to put his name out there a little more.

Toadofsteel
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Most ex-Giants left for another team didn't really burn anything. Shockey might have been a ******, but he wasn't really anti-giants as much as pro-himself. The front office decided to let him go iirc after Boss did his job in the super bowl. Boss himself basically disappeared entirely like Derrick Ward did. They didn't burn anything either, it's just that we have younger, stronger, and healthier people in the position now. Same thing applies to Plax; sure he's a bit of an idiot for shooting himself, but he's not totally anti-giants either (aside from Rex showing him off, which is really Rex's fault, not Plax). It's just that one would pick Nicks and Cruz over Plax anyway. I haven't really heard anything about Manningham and Jacobs bashing the team other than Jacobs talking about the O-line, which we all can admit does need a bit of work... it's less a bash and more stating fact. And besides, giving that 4-year-old kid a day to remember shows that he still cares about the Giants and especially the fans.

As far as I'm concerned there's only two former Giants (in recent history) that have truly "burned bridges"... that would be Tiki Barber (for throwing the entire team under the bus and constantly criticizing Eli and TC even while he was still on the team), and Steve Smith for going outright traitor on us and signing with the Eagles (after publicly calling JR a liar, I might add). In both cases, it worked to our benefit; younger players stepped up and did their jobs, and we walk away with a lombardi. So as far as I'm concerned, those two can burn for all eternity for their crimes, but it has no impact on our team's performance anymore...</p>

GMENAGAIN
07-05-2012, 09:31 PM
If that's his opinion then that's his opinion. I don't see it as burning bridges.</P>

</P>

gumby742
07-05-2012, 11:17 PM
How's he burning bridges? It's not like anyone in the Giants organisation actually cares. To call someone ignorant because they differ in opinion from your own, especially when that person was a former teammate of Eli, is pretty short sighted. But, again he's an analyst and half those conversations are staged anyway. But the bigger question is again, who cares?

krygny
07-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Never <font size="6">***</font>ume, just because someone was a great player, that they know a lot about the overall game, can coach or be an effective media analyst.

And Toomer was not a great player, so there's that. He was a very good WR. The best the Giants ever had. But remember, the Giants still don't have a single WR in the HoF. Pathetic for a team that is a founding member of the NFL.

BlueBlooded1979
07-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Chasing the spotlight any way that they can. If he said "Eli is the best, hands down" I doubt Schefter would even bother with the RT and it certainly wouldn't make any kind of news.

Mercury
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I wish they would take a page out of Simms book. After the way his playing career ended, if anyone has the right to say something "anti" Giants, it's Simms. Yet, he is always a class act and never sells out for the spotlight. He's earned it with intelligent commentary and perspective.

burier
07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Amani Toomer doesn't believe what he said and he's basically selling his ***** on the street to get some attention.

Didn't he just get through starting something up with Shockey for no apparent reason? He becoming more annoying that Kurt Warner.

Amani you were a great Giants...Now go away.

GMENAGAIN
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Amani Toomer doesn't believe what he said and he's basically selling his ***** on the street to get some attention. Didn't he just get through starting something up with Shockey for no apparent reason? He becoming more annoying that Kurt Warner. Amani you were a great Giants...Now go away.</P>

How could you possibly know whether or not he believes what he said?</P>

burier
07-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Amani Toomer doesn't believe what he said and he's basically selling his ***** on the street to get some attention. Didn't he just get through starting something up with Shockey for no apparent reason? He becoming more annoying that Kurt Warner. Amani you were a great Giants...Now go away.</P>

How could you possibly know whether or not he believes what he said?</P>

I don't know for sure. But I choose to believe that one of my favorite players isn't an idiot/drug addict/mentally disabled/android/life model of Amani Toomer/butt hurt because Plaxico took his number 1 spot/etc.

miked1958
07-06-2012, 05:05 PM

Didn't Strahan say that when he first broke into broadcasting, <div class="thread_info"> Exit 172 (http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=5&handle=Exit%20172) : 3:44 pm </div></div><div class="thread_post_body">

Wait, is this the same toomer that is wearing a SB Ring because of Eli?

Rudyy
07-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Wait, is this the same toomer that is wearing a SB Ring because of Eli? Nah, Toomer never got a SB ring..oh wait..

Firenugget
07-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Legend? C'mon.. Are you serious? Toomer was a likeable staple of the franchise for a long time. He was never a top NFL WR and certainly no freakin legend.

Breezely
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
OK, let's say Romo is a stats QB. While Eli is a two time Superbowl winning MVP QB. . . . . .hmmmmm, I'll think I'll stay with Eli.

greenca190
07-07-2012, 01:18 AM

Legend? C'mon.. Are you serious? Toomer was a likeable staple of the franchise for a long time. He was never a top NFL WR and certainly no freakin legend.

Not a Giant legend?

All time Giants receiving record.
Had his receptions in a season record broken in 2009.
His yards in a season record was broken last year by Cruz.
Sixth all time Giants history in receptions per game.
Fifth all time Giants history in yards per game.
Number one all time Giants history in reception touchdowns.

The guy is a Giants legend. We are entirely too spoiled to have the receivers we have now.