PDA

View Full Version : Amani is correct

DEgiants89
07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/toomer-says-tony-romo-is-better-than-eli/

If you read what he said, he wants a QB that is more consistent and throws less interceptions. Eli (and the Giants) have had problems with that until recently. Once the Eli of Tomorrow stays as the Eli of Today....no one will doubt Eli is better than Romo!

But I would choose Eli over Romo any day

FUUFNF
07-05-2012, 07:56 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/toomer-says-tony-romo-is-better-than-eli/

If you read what he said, he wants a QB that is more consistent and throws less interceptions. Eli (and the Giants) have had problems with that until recently. Once the Eli of Tomorrow stays as the Eli of Today....no one will doubt Eli is better than Romo!

Pass that over, cuz whatever you're smoking must be good.

THE_New_York_Giants
07-05-2012, 07:58 PM

A Cowboy fan friend of mine said it best... though he inversed the who is better than who

"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch. The rest of the time he is average. Romo is great as long as he doesnt have to be clutch and is good for about 85% of the game."

IMO that shows how Eli is better but the Cowboy fan thought that made Romo better. it is a good analysis though. There is nobody I'd rather have as my QB with 2 minutes left in the game down by 4-6 than Eli. I'd take anyone over Romo in that situation though. Romo can throw for 500 yards and 8 touchdowns and he will find a way to miraculously, single-handedly lose a game. He is the anti-clutch.
The way Romo loses games sometimes is nothing short of miraculous. The bobbled snap, running out of bounds a yard short on a 4th down... Running past the line of scrimmage with plenty of room for the first and then throwing to an open receiver which results in a penalty... the list goes on.

DEgiants89
07-05-2012, 08:13 PM

A Cowboy fan friend of mine said it best... though he inversed the who is better than who

"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch.* The rest of the time he is average.* Romo is great as long as he doesnt have to be clutch and is good for about 85% of the game."*

IMO that shows how Eli is better but the Cowboy fan thought that made Romo better.* it is a good analysis though.* There is nobody I'd rather have as my QB with 2 minutes left in the game down by 4-6 than Eli.* I'd take anyone over Romo in that situation though.* Romo can throw for 500 yards and 8 touchdowns and he will find a way to miraculously, single-handedly lose a game.* He is the anti-clutch.*
The way Romo loses games sometimes is nothing short of miraculous.* The bobbled snap, running out of bounds a yard short on a 4th down...* Running past the line of scrimmage with plenty of room for the first and then throwing to an open receiver which results in a penalty...* the list goes on.

agreed. It would be great to be both but it would also be nice (even Eli said it) that if we just blow them away and win without needing to come down to the final minutes! It doesn't do my heart good =\

RoanokeFan
07-05-2012, 08:34 PM

If you read what he said, he wants a QB that is more consistent and throws less interceptions. <font color="#0000FF">Eli (and the Giants) have had problems with that until recently.</font> Once the Eli of Tomorrow stays as the Eli of Today....no one will doubt Eli is better than Romo!

Doesn't that mean they are not as bad as they were? It seems to me that Eli must be consistent enough to win 2 Super Bowls in four years.

This article is no more relevant or accurate than what any poster here might argue. Toomer is entitled to his opinions and that's all this is.

FBomb
07-05-2012, 09:18 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/toomer-says-tony-romo-is-better-than-eli/ If you read what he said, he wants a QB that is more consistent and throws less interceptions. <FONT color=#0000ff>Eli (and the Giants) have had problems with that until recently.</FONT> Once the Eli of Tomorrow stays as the Eli of Today....no one will doubt Eli is better than Romo! But I would choose Eli over Romo any day

Doesn't that mean they are not as bad as they were? It seems to me that Eli must be consistent enough to win 2 Super Bowls in four years.

This article is no more relevant or accurate than what any poster here might argue. Toomer is entitled to his opinions and that's all this is.
</P>

He caught some hell from callers on Sirius today!! He was getting pissed and giving right back. </P>

What people are forgetting is **** like this is what put the chip on Eli's shoulders LAST year and 2007. That's the Eli I want!!! The one that had that look in his eye during the National Anthem!! Eli eats the critic's lunch!!</P>

REPEAT BABY!!!!!</P>

Die-Hard
07-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Toomer appears to want to follow Tiki straight into the unemployment line

I get that he's trying not to show favoritism, but this is ridiculous. It's an insane comparison that only holds true with stats. Crunch time is when it really matters, and there is no one else I'd want under center than Eli in that situation.

Neverend
07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
What stat did Romo outshine Eli in besides interceptions?

Completion percentage? And this is supposed to be the mark for consistency... not 4th quarter comebacks?

That would be almost like praising drew brees for completing 70% of his passes. You have to take for account the offense of which Tony executes. The cowboys throw a ton of high percentage passes in their offense. I see a high number of screens, dump offs, and last option checkdowns in the passing game.

The Giants led the NFL in big plays completed downfield and ATTEMPTS. They are NOT a high percentage passing offense. It makes Eli's completion 61% all the more impressive

Oh ok, Romo threw 6 less interceptions than Eli. That completely eliminates the 4th qtr comebacks, better passing statistics, playoff wins, and a superbowl title

I'm highly disappointed in amani toomer

fourth&forever
07-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I used to basjh Eli's "high" throws, lack of tight spiral into the wind, and holding the ball too long.
But he obviously corrected these issues. Not a problem last season at all.

NYG 5
07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Eli has only had true interception issues in 2006, 2007 and 2010.

that was back when he was 25 years old, and when the team's receivers were very young. Eli is always going to have a higher number of picks. he's a gunslinger, and its the type of offense the team plays. Warren Moon would also through close to 20 interceptions a year with the Oilers, does Amani want Romo over Warren Moon? how about Alex Smith? he never throws interceptions either.

3 out of the past 4 seasons Eli has posted under 3% interceptions. troll harder Amani

Neverend
07-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Another stupid thing you constantly read from cowboys fans is that if Romo had Eli's defense, he would win a title too

Its the most ignorant and blind argument you read in the eli vs romo debates. People say that out of their *****. Compare and contrast the cowboys and giants defenses. The cowboys had a better defensive team, as a whole, last year. And so what if Romo wasn't able to win games because his defense collapsed down the stretch? Then that's on HIM, if we're comparing him to Eli. Eli has had some terrible performances last year from the giants D (@dallas head-to-head with romo, arizona, etc) and carried his team to a victory. Romo can't carry his team to victory when his defense fails him

Eli > Romo

jomo
07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Smart people stay in the game and coach. Brilliant people become GM's. The rest find work ina cess pool aka the media. No worries boys and girls. Let's get ready for the season............and if you are in a fantasy football league, Tony Romo is an excellent QB option after Rodgers and Brady and Brees are gone.

THE_New_York_Giants
07-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Statistically Romo is better.
He is also the bigger choke artist.

I'd take Romo over Eli in my fantasy league any day. However, in real life football, I want a proven winner, not a proven choke machine.

gumby742
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM

"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch.* The rest of the time he is average.* Romo is great as long as he doesnt have to be clutch and is good for about 85% of the game."*

IMO that shows how Eli is better but the Cowboy fan thought that made Romo better.* it is a good analysis though.* There is nobody I'd rather have as my QB with 2 minutes left in the game down by 4-6 than Eli.* I'd take anyone over Romo in that situation though.* Romo can throw for 500 yards and 8 touchdowns and he will find a way to miraculously, single-handedly lose a game.* He is the anti-clutch.*
The way Romo loses games sometimes is nothing short of miraculous.* The bobbled snap, running out of bounds a yard short on a 4th down...* Running past the line of scrimmage with plenty of room for the first and then throwing to an open receiver which results in a penalty...* the list goes on.

Good post. Where most of us Giant fans would agree that Eli is better than Romo - especially with his dominant regular season last year, we can't discount Romo being a good QB also. It's a matter of opinion at this point. It's not like we're comparing Eli to Tavaris Jackson.

Some of you guys go nutty when it comes to Eli.

jomo
07-05-2012, 11:36 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/toomer-says-tony-romo-is-better-than-eli/ If you read what he said, he wants a QB that is more consistent and throws less interceptions. Eli (and the Giants) have had problems with that until recently. Once the Eli of Tomorrow stays as the Eli of Today....no one will doubt Eli is better than Romo!

"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch. The rest of the time he is average. Romo is great as long as he doesnt have to be clutch and is good for about 85% of the game."

IMO that shows how Eli is better but the Cowboy fan thought that made Romo better. it is a good analysis though. There is nobody I'd rather have as my QB with 2 minutes left in the game down by 4-6 than Eli. I'd take anyone over Romo in that situation though. Romo can throw for 500 yards and 8 touchdowns and he will find a way to miraculously, single-handedly lose a game. He is the anti-clutch.
The way Romo loses games sometimes is nothing short of miraculous. The bobbled snap, running out of bounds a yard short on a 4th down... Running past the line of scrimmage with plenty of room for the first and then throwing to an open receiver which results in a penalty... the list goes on.
Good post. Where most of us Giant fans would agree that Eli is better than Romo - especially with his dominant regular season last year, we can't discount Romo being a good QB also. It's a matter of opinion at this point. It's not like we're comparing Eli to Tavaris Jackson. Some of you guys go nutty when it comes to Eli.I guess I need to go nutty lol..........so Tony Romo has been consistent at exactly what? IMO he's been consistent at piling up fantasy football stats. OF COURSE he's a very good quarrterback but he is not even close to being in Eli's league at this point. You don't win as many playoff games as Eli, on the road unless you are special especially when his weapons were no better than Romo's and arguably Romo's have been better. Has Eli had a go to guy like Witten? Has Eli had a running back to dump the ball and make a first down out of nothing? The WR's have been more or less comparable. So, we can debate this but really...........are they even close, except in fantasy football?

chasjay
07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Romo is a talented athletic guy who plays quarterback. Eli is a quarterback.

Harooni
07-05-2012, 11:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/toomer-says-tony-romo-is-better-than-eli/ If you read what he said, he wants a QB that is more consistent and throws less interceptions. <font color="#0000ff">Eli (and the Giants) have had problems with that until recently.</font> Once the Eli of Tomorrow stays as the Eli of Today....no one will doubt Eli is better than Romo! But I would choose Eli over Romo any day

</p>

He caught some hell from callers on Sirius today!! He was getting pissed and giving right back. </p>

What people are forgetting is **** like this is what put the chip on Eli's shoulders LAST year and 2007. That's the Eli I want!!! The one that had that look in his eye during the National Anthem!! Eli eats the critic's lunch!!</p>

REPEAT BABY!!!!!</p>
i agree Eli likes/needs to be called out. he seems to have something to prove. examples skittish reese , comical tiki. not as good as brady 2011 .

BigBlue1971
07-06-2012, 12:22 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/toomer-says-tony-romo-is-better-than-eli/ If you read what he said, he wants a QB that is more consistent and throws less interceptions. Eli (and the Giants) have had problems with that until recently. Once the Eli of Tomorrow stays as the Eli of Today....no one will doubt Eli is better than Romo! But I would choose Eli over Romo any day</P>

</P>

again i disagree with Amani! Romo is more consistent at late game mistakes than Eli is! </P>

thats the only consistent stat hes better at than Eli. </P>

besides some of these people are just haters cuz Eliis successful and does his business without a lot of talkin!</P>

JJC7301
07-06-2012, 12:29 AM

I've got to somewhat disagree. While Romo has had his share of bone-headed mistakes (just like Eli), Romo gets a lot of crap because the rest of the Cowboys have been so overrated.

Poor coaching, overrated players, and a too hands-on owner. When they fail, the spotlight falls on the QB which is the most visible player on the field.

bigblue58
07-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Eli has 2 well earned, well deserved SB rings and SB MVP trophies......Romo has won jack squat.
END OF CONVERSATION!

THE_New_York_Giants
07-06-2012, 02:57 AM

I've got to somewhat disagree. While Romo has had his share of bone-headed mistakes (just like Eli), Romo gets a lot of crap because the rest of the Cowboys have been so overrated.

Poor coaching, overrated players, and a too hands-on owner. When they fail, the spotlight falls on the QB which is the most visible player on the field.

He has still found miraculous ways to lose games when he needed to be clutch.

FUUFNF
07-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Eli has more Superbowl MVPs than Romo has playoff wins... That's all the argument I need.

GCGiant
07-06-2012, 07:44 AM
I think Eli realizes that in order to excel, he needs to work on all apects of his game continuously...study film, work on technique, etc.

It is my strong opinion that Romo feels that he can get by on his talent alone and this logic has failed him. Case in point...before the '07 playoff game...where was Eli and where was Tony?

SweetZombieJesus
07-06-2012, 08:20 AM

<font size="1">
"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch."</font>
<font size="2">"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch."</font>
"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch."
<font size="4">"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch."</font>
<font size="5">"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch."</font>
<font size="6">"Eli is only great when it matters and in the clutch."</font>

lol

Oh and by the way 5,000 yards and broke the NFL record for 4th quarter TDs and 7 comeback wins.

wolfie
07-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Stats, stats, stats, bullticky.</P>

Romo's stats are only better for one reason and one reason only... Whitten. Romo has a future hall of fame TE who seems to always be open for a checkdown pass, which raises Romo's completion stats. Give Romo an average TE, and his stats would be in the toilet.</P>

gumby742
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/toomer-says-tony-romo-is-better-than-eli/ If you read what he said, he wants a QB that is more consistent and throws less interceptions. Eli (and the Giants) have had problems with that until recently. Once the Eli of Tomorrow stays as the Eli of Today....no one will doubt Eli is better than Romo!

Good post. Where most of us Giant fans would agree that Eli is better than Romo - especially with his dominant regular season last year, we can't discount Romo being a good QB also. It's a matter of opinion at this point. It's not like we're comparing Eli to Tavaris Jackson. Some of you guys go nutty when it comes to Eli.I guess I need to go nutty lol..........so Tony Romo has been consistent at exactly what? IMO he's been consistent at piling up fantasy football stats. OF COURSE he's a very good quarrterback but he is not even close to being in Eli's league at this point. You don't win as many playoff games as Eli, on the road unless you are special especially when his weapons were no better than Romo's and arguably Romo's have been better. Has Eli had a go to guy like Witten? Has Eli had a running back to dump the ball and make a first down out of nothing? The WR's have been more or less comparable. So, we can debate this but really...........are they even close, except in fantasy football?</P>

I'm not trying to say <U>Romo is better than Eli at this point. Saying that is uhm .. nutty</U>. Eli has shown he has what it takes to get it done. Heck, the guy has 2 SBs. If he continues on last season, he'll surpass Brees and Manning eventually. But as of right now, Romo is more consistent statistically. You can't argue the fact. He is.Eli is much more clutch and all the j***, but technically Toomer didn't really say anything wrong.</P>

Again, <U>I (and I think most people) don't agree with Toomer</U>, but really it is a matter of opinion. I think the QBs are at least close enough (though imo, not too close but enough) to warrant discussion. Tony Romo is a very good QB. I think we all agree on that.</P>

I'm going to try this again. Most people just don't get this. One thing about stats. <U>While they do not tell the entire story</U>, they are a good <U>indicator</U> that a player is doing his job well. I'm going to say that word again in case anyone missed it. <U>Indicator. Indicator. Indicator</U>. When a QB is putting up great stats, it's USUALLY safe to say he's doing his job well. Let's not dismiss stats as nothing.</P>

GCGiant
07-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Nothing wrong with stats. There are some stats that are more coveted than others, though.

DEgiants89
07-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Statistically Romo is better.*
He is also the bigger choke artist.

I'd take Romo over Eli in my fantasy league any day.* However, in real life football, I want a proven winner, not a proven choke machine.

Well said

buddy33
07-06-2012, 10:02 AM
That is where you have to question Toomer. Some on here are saying you would rather take Romo for fantasy football but Eli for your real team. Toomer today said if he was drafting a QB he would take Romo over Eli even after he said he would rather play with Eli.

MikeIsaGiant
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
LOL OK.

gumby742
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
That is where you have to question Toomer. Some on here are saying you would rather take Romo for fantasy football but Eli for your real team. Toomer today said if he was drafting a QB he would take Romo over Eli even after he said he would rather play with Eli.</P>

There's a difference though. One is from a GM/Front office point of view, the other is from a player point of view. Some GMs value consistency, some don't as much. We see the same thing in the draft. Players fall because they haven't been consistent year in and year out.</P>

buddy33
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah but what he said was based on stats he would draft Romo. Sounds like Toomer is playing to much fantasy football.

As a GM you want to win. As a player you want to win. So then you would want of draft the guy you would rather play for no? In that case, in his words, he should have said Eli. He said he would rather play with him, so that should mean he is the guy that you think gives you the best chance of winning. Why would you pick stats over a guy that you would rather play with that gives of the best chance of winning?

GCGiant
07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't know...I guess it's why Toomer had a career catching footballs and EA had a career of drafting football players. I am sure EA saw what Eli did with SEC leftovers. I am not sure Toomer did, however.

burier
07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Toomer was one of my favorite players so it pains me to see him acting like an attention *****.

He knows damn right that Tony Romo isn't even in a conversation with Eli Manning.

Its against the football sensabilities of anyone involved with football to compare to 2 time Superbowl MVP to a guy who has 1 career playoff win.

ONE CAREER PLAYOFF WIN on a team which is consistently favored to be a serious contender in the NFC.. year in and year out.

Tony Romo compared to Eli Manning is a Bologna sandwich.

thomsoad
07-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Toomer was one of my favorite players so it pains me to see him acting like an attention *****.

He knows damn right that Tony Romo isn't even in a conversation with Eli Manning.

Its against the football sensabilities of anyone involved with football to compare to 2 time Superbowl MVP to a guy who has 1 career playoff win.

ONE CAREER PLAYOFF WIN on a team which is consistently favored to be a serious contender in the NFC.. year in and year out.

This is what Amani said that Giant fans are up in arms about:

"Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it statistically, he's probably the best quarterback in the NFC East. I mean, look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, you talk about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy can play. And all the Cowboy fans out there that are saying he can't play, saying they don't like him, you've got to really look at what you're getting, because you can't replace a guy like that because he is a top, upper-echelon quarterback and I just don't see why he is getting blamed for all these things that kind of aren't his fault.

"For me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo."

If we are going on stats Amani is correct. 31 TD's against 10 INTS is pretty freakin impressive. I dont care who the QB is. Amani isnt bashing Eli ... he is defending Romo against his critics. Get a grip guys.

buddy33
07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah, he is defending Romo and he really isn't a bad QB. However, he also said he would rather play for Eli but he would draft Romo if he was a GM. What sense does that make? As a player you want to play for the guy that gives you the best chance to win real games, not fantasy football. As a GM you wan the same thing. So what is it? You draft the the stats or the guy you would rather play with which should also mean the guy you think gives yo the best chance to win?

burier
07-06-2012, 11:02 AM

This is what Amani said that Giant fans are up in arms about:

"Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it statistically, he's probably the best quarterback in the NFC East. I mean, look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, you talk about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy can play. And all the Cowboy fans out there that are saying he can't play, saying they don't like him, you've got to really look at what you're getting, because you can't replace a guy like that because he is a top, upper-echelon quarterback and I just don't see why he is getting blamed for all these things that kind of aren't his fault.

"For me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo."

If we are going on stats Amani is correct. 31 TD's against 10 INTS is pretty freakin impressive. I dont care who the QB is. Amani isnt bashing Eli ... he is defending Romo against his critics. Get a grip guys.

Here's the thing. If he was speaking to Cowboy fans about how they should appreciate Romo fine...Leave Eli out of it.

But he said Romo is the best QB in the NFC east and then made the direct comparison between Romo and Eli only to be made a fool of.

And then he compares Eli's 4th quarter play to Romo's fictitious "consistency" and I almost laughed myself to the point of asphyxiation.

How can a Quarterback who is known for some of the most epic meltdowns in recent memory be called consistent???

So I'm not up in arms I just feel bad and saddened that one of my favorite players is making himself look like a ******.

gumby742
07-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah but what he said was based on stats he would draft Romo. Sounds like Toomer is playing to much fantasy football. As a GM you want to win. As a player you want to win. So then you would want of draft the guy you would rather play for no? In that case, in his words, he should have said Eli. He said he would rather play with him, so that should mean he is the guy that you think gives you the best chance of winning. Why would you pick stats over a guy that you would rather play with that gives of the best chance of winning?</P>

You're making the assumption that people come into this league wanting to win first. I don't think that's the case. It's very possible that he doesn't want a QB that's in your face, thinks that Eli will inflate his stats more so he gets more money, etc etc. Nobody knows.</P>

And who says that Romo doesn't give you the best chance to win? Prior to the last season, one was a regular season stud, the other was a come from behind king. Let's not dismiss Romo and what he brings to the table. That's all I'm saying.</P>

burier
07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah but what he said was based on stats he would draft Romo. Sounds like Toomer is playing to much fantasy football. As a GM you want to win. As a player you want to win. So then you would want of draft the guy you would rather play for no? In that case, in his words, he should have said Eli. He said he would rather play with him, so that should mean he is the guy that you think gives you the best chance of winning. Why would you pick stats over a guy that you would rather play with that gives of the best chance of winning?</P>

You're making the assumption that people come into this league wanting to win first.* I don't think that's the case.* It's very possible that he doesn't want a QB that's in your face,* thinks that Eli will inflate his stats more so he gets more money, etc etc.** Nobody knows.</P>

And who says that Romo doesn't give you the best chance to win?* Prior to the last season, one was a regular season stud, the other was a come from behind king.* Let's not dismiss Romo and what he brings to the table.* That's all I'm saying.</P>

lmao!

gumby742
07-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Toomer was one of my favorite players so it pains me to see him acting like an attention *****. He knows damn right that Tony Romo isn't even in a conversation with Eli Manning. Its against the football sensabilities of anyone involved with football to compare to 2 time Superbowl MVP to a guy who has 1 career playoff win. ONE CAREER PLAYOFF WIN on a team which is consistently favored to be a serious contender in the NFC.. year in and year out. Tony Romo compared to Eli Manning is a Bologna sandwich. This is what Amani said that Giant fans are up in arms about: "Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it statistically, he's probably the best quarterback in the NFC East. I mean, look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, you talk about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy can play. And all the Cowboy fans out there that are saying he can't play, saying they don't like him, you've got to really look at what you're getting, because you can't replace a guy like that because he is a top, upper-echelon quarterback and I just don't see why he is getting blamed for all these things that kind of aren't his fault. "For me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo." If we are going on stats Amani is correct. 31 TD's against 10 INTS is pretty freakin impressive. I dont care who the QB is. Amani isnt bashing Eli ... he is defending Romo against his critics. Get a grip guys. Here's the thing. If he was speaking to Cowboy fans about how they should appreciate Romo fine...Leave Eli out of it. But he said Romo is the best QB in the NFC east and then made the direct comparison between Romo and Eli only to be made a fool of. And then he compares Eli's 4th quarter play to Romo's fictitious "consistency" and I almost laughed myself to the point of asphyxiation. How can a Quarterback who is know for some of the most epic meltdowns in recent memory be called consistent??? So I'm not up in arms I just feel bad and saddened that one of my favorite players is making himself look like a ******.</P>

Make all the excuses you want, but Romo has been much more consistent statistically than Eli. When Toomer said consistent, he was talking statistically.</P>

buddy33
07-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Romo puts up good stats and yes it's a team sport so he shouldn't take all the blame for their failures. Eli just seems to be able to make the plays when they count he most.

As far as what Toomer said, it just doesn't make sense. Knowing what he knows today picking the better statistics is strange. His own words, he would rather play with Eli. If you are GM it's your job to build a winning team. No one that has great stats but doesn't finish.

TuckYou
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
I know a bunch of Cowboy fans, and most say they would take Eli over Romo. Romo puts up the stats, Eli puts up the banners. It is the same arguement we have had with Phillip Rivers all these years. Rivers is a stat machine, but he isnt as good as Eli.

gumby742
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Room puts up good stats and yes it's a team sport so he shouldn't take all the blame for their failures. Eli just seems to be able to make the plays when they count he most. As far as what Toomer said, it just doesn't make sense. Knowing what he knows today picking the better statistics is strange. His own words, he would rather play with Eli. If you are GM it's your job to build a winning team. No one that has great stats but doesn't finish.</P>

There is another way to approach this. You can say that if you play great throughout the season/every game, then you won't have to come from behind and show that you're clutch. And yes, I acknowledge that Romo has been subject to some melt downs.</P>

But as for GM, when building a team. Consistency is a big factor. How many times has a players draft stock fallen because he hasn't shown he can do it week in and week out? How many GMs approach building a team assuming that they'll fall behind often? Is your definition of making plays when they count the most only when we are down one score with under 2 minutes to go? Or does needing one more score to put the game away count also? Both are valid definitions.</P>

jakegibbs
07-06-2012, 11:20 AM

You're making the assumption that people come into this league wanting to win first.* I don't think that's the case.* It's very possible that he doesn't want a QB that's in your face,* thinks that Eli will inflate his stats more so he gets more money, etc etc.** Nobody knows.</P>

And who says that Romo doesn't give you the best chance to win?* Prior to the last season, one was a regular season stud, the other was a come from behind king.* Let's not dismiss Romo and what he brings to the table.* That's all I'm saying.</P>

Answer this question Grumpy. You're the GM & you have to pick Romo or Eli to QB your team... Who do you choose?
Eli or Romo.
& your answer is???? ______________ hmmmm.

buddy33
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I can see your points, but Toomer, a former player, was asked who he would draft. He said Romo after he said he would rather play with Eli. That just makes no sense to me. When asked if that made Romo a better QB he sounded confused.

I have nothin wrong with him saying Romo has better stats. It's a fact. I have nothing wrong with him saying he thinks Romo is the better QB. I disagree but it's his opinion. Where he seems lost is when he says as GM he would pick Romo over a guy he would rather play with.

gumby742
07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I can see your points, but Toomer, a former player, was asked who he would draft. He said Romo after he said he would rather play with Eli. That just makes no sense to me. When asked if that made Romo a better QB he sounded confused. I have nothin wrong with him saying Romo has better stats. It's a fact. I have nothing wrong with him saying he thinks Romo is the better QB. I disagree but it's his opinion. Where he seems lost is when he says as GM he would pick Romo over a guy he would range play with.</P>

Haha. It doesn't make much sense to me either. But I figure Toomer's gotta have some reason other than winning. Or maybe I"m giving him too much credit.</P>

gumby742
07-06-2012, 11:29 AM

You're making the assumption that people come into this league wanting to win first. I don't think that's the case. It's very possible that he doesn't want a QB that's in your face, thinks that Eli will inflate his stats more so he gets more money, etc etc. Nobody knows.</P>

And who says that Romo doesn't give you the best chance to win? Prior to the last season, one was a regular season stud, the other was a come from behind king. Let's not dismiss Romo and what he brings to the table. That's all I'm saying.</P>

Answer this question Grumpy. You're the GM &amp; you have to pick Romo or Eli to QB your team... Who do you choose? Eli or Romo. &amp; your answer is???? ______________ hmmmm.</P>

As of right now? Eli hands down. But, I'm not going to sit here and pretend Romo is chopped liver either.</P>

burier
07-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Toomer was one of my favorite players so it pains me to see him acting like an attention *****. He knows damn right that Tony Romo isn't even in a conversation with Eli Manning. Its against the football sensabilities of anyone involved with football to compare to 2 time Superbowl MVP to a guy who has 1 career playoff win. ONE CAREER PLAYOFF WIN on a team which is consistently favored to be a serious contender in the NFC.. year in and year out. Tony Romo compared to Eli Manning is a Bologna sandwich. This is what Amani said that Giant fans are up in arms about: "Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it statistically, he's probably the best quarterback in the NFC East. I mean, look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, you talk about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy can play. And all the Cowboy fans out there that are saying he can't play, saying they don't like him, you've got to really look at what you're getting, because you can't replace a guy like that because he is a top, upper-echelon quarterback and I just don't see why he is getting blamed for all these things that kind of aren't his fault. "For me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo." If we are going on stats Amani is correct. 31 TD's against 10 INTS is pretty freakin impressive. I dont care who the QB is. Amani isnt bashing Eli ... he is defending Romo against his critics. Get a grip guys. Here's the thing. If he was speaking to Cowboy fans about how they should appreciate Romo fine...Leave Eli out of it. But he said Romo is the best QB in the NFC east and then made the direct comparison between Romo and Eli only to be made a fool of. And then he compares Eli's 4th quarter play to Romo's fictitious "consistency" and I almost laughed myself to the point of asphyxiation. How can a Quarterback who is know for some of the most epic meltdowns in recent memory be called consistent??? So I'm not up in arms I just feel bad and saddened that one of my favorite players is making himself look like a ******.</P>

Make all the excuses you want, but Romo has been much more consistent statistically than Eli.* When Toomer said consistent, he was talking statistically.*</P>

(I apprently missed the part of the interview where Toomer said that Romo is a better FANTASY football player)

Riiiight so let me guess...You're playing devil's advocate again.

Lets be clear Eli is a 2 time Superbowl MVP with a stellar post season record and will go into the Hall Of Fame on the first ballot. He doesn't need any excuses.

As far as consistency. I agree. Romo consistently fails to make an impact in post season play and he consistently fails to deliver in clutch situations.

buddy33
07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
The other thing that bothered me a bit this morning was how when backed into a corner he was finding excuses for as to why Romo has had some failures. Toomer played for the Giants. He knows they where a heavy running team. He knows that after Burress all Eli has had to work with is younger WR's. Eli has lost some go to guys and had to work with FA pick ups. Maybe his stats would be better. The media hypes up the talent of Dallas all the time. Now I'm not saying the Giants don't have talent because I think they match up with just about any team. Just saying, from what the media would have you believe Dallas has plenty of talent as well.

burier
07-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Room puts up good stats and yes it's a team sport so he shouldn't take all the blame for their failures. Eli just seems to be able to make the plays when they count he most. As far as what Toomer said, it just doesn't make sense. Knowing what he knows today picking the better statistics is strange. His own words, he would rather play with Eli. If you are GM it's your job to build a winning team. No one that has great stats but doesn't finish.</P>

There is another way to approach this.* You can say that if you play great throughout the season/every game, then you won't have to come from behind and show that you're clutch.* And yes, I acknowledge that Romo has been subject to some melt downs.</P>

But as for GM, when building a team.* Consistency is a big factor.* How many times has a players draft stock fallen because he hasn't shown he can do it week in and week out?*** How many GMs approach building a team assuming that they'll fall behind often?* Is your definition of making plays when they count the most only when we are down one score with under 2 minutes to go?* Or does needing one more score to put the game away count also?* Both are valid definitions.</P>

lol please leave the thread.

"You can say that if you play great throughout the season/every game, then you won't have to come from behind and show that you're clutch."

When has Romo shown to be great throughout the seaon every game?

And when he showd this, why was the Superbowl not won?

gumby742
07-06-2012, 11:42 AM

Make all the excuses you want, but Romo has been much more consistent statistically than Eli. When Toomer said consistent, he was talking statistically.</P>

(I apprently missed the part of the interview where Toomer said that Romo is a better FANTASY football player) Riiiight so let me guess...You're playing devil's advocate again. Lets be clear Eli is a 2 time Superbowl MVP with a stellar post season record and will go into the Hall Of Fame on the first ballot. He doesn't need any excuses. As far as consistency. I agree. Romo consistently fails to make an impact in post season play and he consistently fails to deliver in clutch situations.</P>

No one is diminishing Eli's accomplishments. Toomer didn't either. Romo has been better statistically and more consistently than Eli. Fact. He said nothing wrong, even if you disagree with his point that he thinks Eli is better.</P>

Dang man. You have to relax when it comes to Eli. It's not always Eli vs the world.</P>

gumby742
07-06-2012, 11:46 AM

There is another way to approach this. You can say that if you play great throughout the season/every game, then you won't have to come from behind and show that you're clutch. And yes, I acknowledge that Romo has been subject to some melt downs.</P>

But as for GM, when building a team. Consistency is a big factor. How many times has a players draft stock fallen because he hasn't shown he can do it week in and week out? How many GMs approach building a team assuming that they'll fall behind often? Is your definition of making plays when they count the most only when we are down one score with under 2 minutes to go? Or does needing one more score to put the game away count also? Both are valid definitions.</P>

lol please leave the thread. "You can say that if you play great throughout the season/every game, then you won't have to come from behind and show that you're clutch." When has Romo shown to be great throughout the seaon every game? And when he showd this, why was the Superbowl not won? </P>

Replace "every" with "relative consistency". Is that better? I didn't think you would take things so literally. No QB plays great EVERY game. That's just common sense. </P>

Winning the SB is a team game. You can't fault one player alone for not making the SB.</P>

thomsoad
07-06-2012, 11:55 AM

Make all the excuses you want, but Romo has been much more consistent statistically than Eli.* When Toomer said consistent, he was talking statistically.*</P>

(I apprently missed the part of the interview where Toomer said that Romo is a better FANTASY football player) Riiiight so let me guess...You're playing devil's advocate again. Lets be clear Eli is a 2 time Superbowl MVP with a stellar post season record and will go into the Hall Of Fame on the first ballot. He doesn't need any excuses. As far as consistency. I agree. Romo consistently fails to make an impact in post season play and he consistently fails to deliver in clutch situations.</P>

No one is diminishing Eli's accomplishments.* Toomer didn't either.* Romo has been better statistically and more consistently than Eli.* Fact.* He said nothing wrong, even if you disagree with his point that he thinks Eli is better.</P>

Dang man.* You have to relax when it comes to Eli.* It's not always Eli vs the world.</P>

Exactly. Amani is correct. Statistically speaking Romo is the best QB in the NFC East. Once again...statistically. Amani said NOTHING THAT IS INCORRECT.

Toadofsteel
07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree with that assessment from a statistical perspective. I'd still take someone who makes the plays when they matter than the sponsor for Diet Choke though...

Roosevelt
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Lets be clear Eli is a 2 time Superbowl MVP with a stellar post season record and will go into the Hall Of Fame on the first ballot. He doesn't need any excuses.

Has Eli ever gotten the respect you think he deserves?

Last season he didn't even make the Top 100. This year he's the 5th highest rated QB at #31.

What gives you the confidence he will get voted in first ballot or let alone even make it after the way he's been disrespected?

FUUFNF
07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Dang man. You have to relax when it comes to Eli. It's not always Eli vs the world.</P>

If that's the case, there's no reason for Toomer to even mention Eli's name.

Ntegrase96
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Amani is Correct.

Romo is a QB with a better skill set. Eli is the better QB.

Reading Toomer's comments in their entirety will clear things up.

FUUFNF
07-06-2012, 12:40 PM

Last season he didn't even make the Top 100. This year he's the 5th highest rated QB at #31.

What gives you the confidence he will get voted in first ballot or let alone even make it after the way he's been disrespected?

If Eli isn't voted into the HOF after all has been said and done, that would be a great tragedy and a huge disservice to the game of football.

Roosevelt
07-06-2012, 12:56 PM

If Eli isn't voted into the HOF after all has been said and done, that would be a great tragedy and a huge disservice to the game of football.

Okay, but my point was what would make someone overly confident given the circumstances surrounding him?

Marvelousmik
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
What people are forgetting is **** like this is what put the chip on Eli's shoulders LAST year and 2007.* That's the Eli I want!!!*

this

burier
07-06-2012, 01:19 PM

No one is diminishing Eli's accomplishments.* Toomer didn't either.* Romo has been better statistically and more consistently than Eli.* Fact.* He said nothing wrong, even if you disagree with his point that he thinks Eli is better.</P>

Dang man.* You have to relax when it comes to Eli.* It's not always Eli vs the world.</P>

What?

First of all it is always Eli Vs the world. Hence why Eli's name even came up in the conversation to begin with. He could have picked any Quarterback. Vick...Stafford, Flacco...whoever. Romo's numbers stand up to bascially any QBs so why Eli...

Actually based on feats...Brady, Rogers, Brees and Peyton would make less offensive comparisions.

Eli's name had no business coming up but for the fact that everyone for some reason gets their jollies by underatting and denegrating the man's game.

Second of all. Right now someone could get on here and say Spongebob Square Pants is a better Quarterback than Eli and you'd be in the thread "playing devils advocate" Which is highly annoying.

Third of all There is something wrong with what Toomer said because he said that Tony Romo is better than Eli Manning which is patently false.

And since we're talking about Stats lets talk about how Romo put up his stats with a considerably stronger supporting cast than Eli.

So unless Romo was blocking for himself, throwing and catching his own balls the stats argument doesn't work either.

thomsoad
07-06-2012, 01:31 PM

What?

First of all it is always Eli Vs the world. Hence why Eli's name even came up in the conversation to begin with. He could have picked any Quarterback. Vick...Stafford, Flacco...whoever. Romo's numbers stand up to bascially any QBs so why Eli...

Actually based on feats...Brady, Rogers, Brees and Peyton would make less offensive comparisions.

Eli's name had no business coming up but for the fact that everyone for some reason gets their jollies by underatting and denegrating the man's game.

Second of all. Right now someone could get on here and say Spongebob Square Pants is a better Quarterback than Eli and you'd be in the thread "playing devils advocate" Which is highly annoying.

Third of all There is something wrong with what Toomer said because he said that Tony Romo is better than Eli Manning which is patently false.

And since we're talking about Stats lets talk about how Romo put up his stats with a considerably stronger supporting cast than Eli.

So unless Romo was blocking for himself, throwing and catching his own balls the stats argument doesn't work either.

dam dude...you seriously have got to remove the blinders in regards to what Amani said.

burier
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM

What?

dam dude...you seriously have got to remove the blinders in regards to what Amani said.

ok maybe I have on blinders. Tell me what I'm missing.

Because what I heard was "Tony Romo is the best Quarterback in the NFC East"

thomsoad
07-06-2012, 02:20 PM

What?

You are missing the word "STATISTICALLY".

DEgiants89
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
That is where you have to question Toomer. Some on here are saying you would rather take Romo for fantasy football but Eli for your real team. Toomer today said if he was drafting a QB he would take Romo over Eli even after he said he would rather play with Eli.

Well it is hard to draft any player first and foremost but what would your criteria be for drafting a QB?

DEgiants89
07-06-2012, 02:26 PM

What?

it was on the comparison of the best NFC East QBs....so it really would only be Eli and Romo unless you think RGIII and Vick should be there instead.

Ntegrase96
07-06-2012, 02:26 PM

That's the problem Burier. You're interpreting through a disgusted Giants fan filter

This is the actual quote-- not the quote that is in the headlines created by people who are NOT amani toomer...

“Tony Romo is probably - if you look at him STATISTICALLY- he’s probably the best quarterback in the NFC East,” Toomer said as co-host with Tim Ryan on ‘Move the Chains’ on SIRIUS radio. “I mean, you look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter. But you talk about consistency . . . talk about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions. That guy can play.”

Ryan then agreed with the Romo love but opined that Manning is still the best QB in the NFC East. Toomer held firm.

“OK, that’s fair,” Toomer acknowledged. “But I’m talking about, for me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw (fewer) interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I’m going to go with Tony Romo.”

“I want a guy who is dropping dimes at crunch time,” Ryan countered.

“At crunch time he’s not as good as Eli but every other time he’s pretty darn good,” Toomer said.

... You realize that he's probably just taking the opinion he was assigned by his producer, right?

gumby742
07-06-2012, 02:35 PM

No one is diminishing Eli's accomplishments. Toomer didn't either. Romo has been better statistically and more consistently than Eli. Fact. He said nothing wrong, even if you disagree with his point that he thinks Eli is better.</P>

What? First of all it is always Eli Vs the world. Hence why Eli's name even came up in the conversation to begin with. He could have picked any Quarterback. Vick...Stafford, Flacco...whoever. Romo's numbers stand up to bascially any QBs so why Eli... Actually based on feats...Brady, Rogers, Brees and Peyton would make less offensive comparisions. Eli's name had no business coming up but for the fact that everyone for some reason gets their jollies by underatting and denegrating the man's game. Second of all. Right now someone could get on here and say Spongebob Square Pants is a better Quarterback than Eli and you'd be in the thread "playing devils advocate" Which is highly annoying. Third of all There is something wrong with what Toomer said because he said that Tony Romo is better than Eli Manning which is patently false. And since we're talking about Stats lets talk about how Romo put up his stats with a considerably stronger supporting cast than Eli. So unless Romo was blocking for himself, throwing and catching his own balls the stats argument doesn't work either.</P>

See the posts above mine. They answered your statements. </P>

As for me playing devil's advocate, I only really do it if I see that the other side has a valid point. Example, if the comparison was to RG3, i don't I'd even respond to the thread. The only reason why I chimed in was because people were treating Romo as if he were chopped liver which is clearly not the case. He's a very good QB. Not as good as good as Eli imo, but good enough to be in a discussion -agree or not.</P>

Also keep in mind that there are 2 sides to comparing things. Comparing to those better than you and to those that are worse than you. Because Eli and who you think is a lesser QB is in the same discussion doesn't mean it should be taken as insulting.</P>

burier
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM

That's the problem Burier. You're interpreting through a disgusted Giants fan filter

This is the actual quote-- not the quote that is in the headlines created by people who are NOT amani toomer...

“Tony Romo is probably - if you look at him STATISTICALLY- he’s probably the best quarterback in the NFC East,” Toomer said as co-host with Tim Ryan on ‘Move the Chains’ on SIRIUS radio. “I mean, you look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter. But you talk about consistency . . . talk about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions. That guy can play.”

Ryan then agreed with the Romo love but opined that Manning is still the best QB in the NFC East. Toomer held firm.

“OK, that’s fair,” Toomer acknowledged. “But I’m talking about, for me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw (fewer) interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I’m going to go with Tony Romo.”

“At crunch time he’s not as good as Eli but every other time he’s pretty darn good,” Toomer said.

... You realize that he's probably just taking the opinion he was assigned by his producer, right?

I realize these shows are produced but this is Amani Toomer we're talking about.

If it was Skip Bayless no one would care. His job to make a fool of himself. But Toomer as a former player and grown man has to take responsibility for what comes out of his own mouth.

The fact that he modified the statement with the word "statistically" is of no consequence since he knows that he shouldn't even mention Romo and Eli in the same sentence in the first place.

We don't need Toomer to talk to us about stats on a radio show no less. He can't even offer a graphic.

burier
07-06-2012, 02:50 PM

What?

it was on the comparison of the best NFC East QBs....so it really would only be Eli and Romo unless you think RGIII and Vick should be there instead.

Comapring Romo To Vick or RG3 is far more appropriate than comparing Romo to Eli Manning. At lease Vick and RG3 have the same number of rings as Romo.

Ntegrase96
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I realize these shows are produced but this is Amani Toomer we're talking about.

If it was Skip Bayless no one would care. His job to make a fool of himself. But Toomer as a former player and grown man has to take responsibility for what comes out of his own mouth.

The fact that he modified the statement with the word "statistically" is of no consequence since he knows that he shouldn't even mention Romo and Eli in the same sentence in the first place.

We don't need Toomer to talk to us about stats on a radio show no less. He can't even offer a graphic.

I get your point. But listen, if you think that Eli is untouchable at this point in is career, you are mistaken.

It's just something that you're going to have to get used to.

BlueBlitzer
07-06-2012, 03:25 PM
You a stat guy now Amani ? Check out Victor Cruz's.

burier
07-06-2012, 03:29 PM

I get your point. But listen, if you think that Eli is untouchable at this point in is career, you are mistaken.

In my mind he is untouchable but I understand that not everyone has come around on that just yet which is fine.

I just think That the conversations right now should be Romo Vs that second Tier of QBs...Your Rivers, Flaccos, Vicks etc.

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 03:56 PM

... <font color="#0000FF">You realize that he's probably just taking the opinion he was assigned by his producer, right?</font>

I could be naive about this, but I sure hope that's not the case.

giantsfan420
07-06-2012, 04:29 PM

u dont need to get all defensive.

and i guess u didnt quite seem to grasp the point that claiming romos better than eli IS diminishing elis accomplishments...fwiw

giantsfan420
07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Amani is Correct.

not even close to true. romo has better movement. thats about it. accuracy (i was shocked that toomer didnt put the stats into context. romo may have a higher comp %, but eli's is more impressive when considering all the downfield passes we attempt and how our offensive scheme is a vertical passing attack which will skew accuracy numbers) is open to opinion, eli has better arm strength, better at reading defenses, better at progressions, better downfield passer, better audibler, more clutch...i cant think of any way romo is better aside from 2 more td passes and 6 less ints, but again, when put into context, doesnt mean much at all.

this isnt to say romo is a bad qb. he's actually a damn good one, just not at elis level and tbh, he wasnt even entering this season.

burier
07-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Amani is Correct.

not even close to true. romo has better movement. thats about it. accuracy (i was shocked that toomer didnt put the stats into context. romo may have a higher comp %, but eli's is more impressive when considering all the downfield passes we attempt and how our offensive scheme is a vertical passing attack which will skew accuracy numbers) is open to opinion, eli has better arm strength, better at reading defenses, better at progressions, better downfield passer, better audibler, more clutch...i cant think of any way romo is better aside from 2 more td passes and 6 less ints, but again, when put into context, doesnt mean much at all.

this isnt to say romo is a bad qb. he's actually a damn good one, just not at elis level and tbh, he wasnt even entering this season.

Basically this

sharick88
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM

lmmfao

Ntegrase96
07-06-2012, 04:54 PM

... <font color="#0000FF">You realize that he's probably just taking the opinion he was assigned by his producer, right?</font>

I could be wrong in this instance, but what would sports media be if everyone agreed with each other? Typically, one person takes a position while the other takes the opposite.

Ntegrase96
07-06-2012, 04:55 PM

In my mind he is untouchable but I understand that not everyone has come around on that just yet which is fine.

I just think That the conversations right now should be Romo Vs that second Tier of QBs...Your Rivers, Flaccos, Vicks etc.

That's fair enough. I think Romo is in that 2nd tier with the QBs you've listed.

Eli is above that tier. But that doesn't rule out any comparisons. Especially whe we're specifically comparing QBs within a particular division.

Just can't let it get to you, man.

miked1958
07-06-2012, 04:57 PM

agreed. It would be great to be both but it would also be nice (even Eli said it) that if we just blow them away and win without needing to come down to the final minutes! It doesn't do my heart good =\I kinda feel Eli will put up drew Bree's and Rodgers type numbers this season

miked1958
07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
That should silence the haters

gumby742
07-06-2012, 05:04 PM

u dont need to get all defensive. and i guess u didnt quite seem to grasp the point that claiming romos better than eli IS diminishing elis accomplishments...fwiw</P>

Who's getting defensive? Just trying to get him to ease off the gas pedal some.Toomer said Romo was better STATISTICALLY. There's a big difference between saying Romo is a better QB and Romo is better statisticadlly.</P>

giantsfan420
07-06-2012, 05:07 PM

agreed. It would be great to be both but it would also be nice (even Eli said it) that if we just blow them away and win without needing to come down to the final minutes! It doesn't do my heart good =\I kinda feel Eli will put up drew Bree's and Rodgers type numbers this season

i think he'll end up posting numbers that fall about inbetween the numbers he posted last season and the numbers rodgers posted last season. and i think we'll get up to 4-6 yrs (his prime) of that, or near that....dont quite see eli putting up 50 tds, but i could easily see 36-40. could easily see a 4500 yd season. could see 10-15 ints. and around a 65 % completion....last year i had eli at 30 tds, 4400 yards, 15 ints, and 62 completion % (i've been pretty spot on practically every year with eli but that doesnt say much bc eli clearly shows u what he'll give u and where he can improve upon) those are the numbers i expect eli to put up actually....

miked1958
07-06-2012, 05:07 PM

I know right! Is that the same Toomer that currently is wearing a SB ring because of Eli? How many SB rings do u think hed be wearing if romo was his qb

FUUFNF
07-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I could be wrong in this instance, but what would sports media be if everyone agreed with each other? Typically, one person takes a position while the other takes the opposite.

If that's how it went down, then Toomer should have insisted on taking the other side... Because from outward appearances, it looks like he slighted a former teammate - a teammate that helped Toomer win a championship - a championship Toomer wouldn't have won with Romo... So basically Toomer just Tiki Barbered himself... And believe me, I'm sure he has been hearing a earful about it non-stop since then... If I were a betting man, I think Toomer is kicking himself for saying what he said - "statistically" or not.

Roosevelt
07-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Whatever Amani's motive, it wasn't well thought out.

"Hey, I think I'll try and pick on the Super Bowl MVP". [:$]

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 06:16 PM

I have far less trouble with Toomer speaking his mind than his simply reading a script. He won't last long if he's doing the latter. This wasn't a debate, he was offering an opinion about who the better QB is.

Bing Crosby
07-06-2012, 06:18 PM
If that's how it went down, then Toomer should have insisted on taking the other side... Because from outward appearances, it looks like he slighted a former teammate - a teammate that helped Toomer win a championship - a championship Toomer wouldn't have won with Romo... So basically Toomer just Tiki Barbered himself... And believe me, I'm sure he has been hearing a earful about it non-stop since then... If I were a betting man, I think Toomer is kicking himself for saying what he said - "statistically" or not.

I think that's what it boils down to. No matter how he said it, or even what he was attempting to say (whether you agree or not with the overall point) to most people it sounds like a former teammate is giving Eli crap for not being as good as a heated division rival who hasn't lived up to his own fans expectations. It doesn't help Toomer that this is the way the media is going to report it.

My guess is right now he is wishing he had just kept silent about Eli when trying to defend Romo.

Firenugget
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Yeah, the guy who chokes in every pressure game is clearly better than the guy who rises up and wins the game. I'm sorry Amani but you're out of your mind.

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 08:55 PM

Yeah, the guy who chokes in every pressure game is clearly better than the guy who rises up and wins the game. I'm sorry Amani but you're out of your mind.

This is what happens when you look at raw statistics. There is no consideration given to reality. We had a mediocre regular season at 9 - 7. NO ONE predicted we'd be better than 3rd in the Division, yet we won the Super Bowl. You have to always consider the intangibles.

Diamondring
07-06-2012, 09:09 PM
What happened folks? Every poster think the man is a good man til he made the statement about Romo being better than Eli. Can anyone just say that he is wrong instead acting like he really did a bad thing that should never be forgiven?

FUUFNF
07-06-2012, 09:17 PM
What happened folks? Every poster think the man is a good man til he made the statement about Romo being better than Eli. Can anyone just say that he is wrong instead acting like he really did a bad thing that should never be forgiven?

Toomer continues to unnecessarily slight a former teammate to defend his argument... That's pretty Tiki Barberesque and he rightly deserves the wrath of Giants fans.

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 09:40 PM

He's wrong, PERIOD

Diamondring
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM

He's wrong, PERIOD
Hey, that is all I am sayin.

Delicreep
07-06-2012, 10:44 PM
This has all the feel of one of those things where you answer a hypothetical and it all spins horribly out of control.

Romo is in fact a better QB statistically. If I were a receiver, I would likely easily pick the statistically superior QB. If I were a player, I would balk at the notion of hearing how the success of the team was based on one player, and not a top to bottom effort.

All of this makes sense.

The only reason that any one is even talking about it is because, on the face of it, in the real world, it sounds ridiculous.

One guy has a resume that includes 2 years where he defined "clutch"
One guy has a resume that pretty much defines "fail", even if he may not deserve.

One guy has a host of SB and playoff records
One guy has 1 playoff win

One guy is know for having a great head for the game.
One guy is know for folding under pressure.

One guy is know for huge drives under pressure in big games
One guys is know for a litany of mistakes, mental errors and just bad plays in big games.

Meh...he's probably being more fair to Romo than many, and he's probably a little tired of hearing how it was all Eli on those SB runs.

On paper, he's got a point. Soon as they start playing the game on paper, I will care about it.

FBomb
07-07-2012, 10:14 AM
This has all the feel of one of those things where you answer a hypothetical and it all spins horribly out of control.

Romo is in fact a better QB statistically. If I were a receiver, I would likely easily pick the statistically superior QB. If I were a player, I would balk at the notion of hearing how the success of the team was based on one player, and not a top to bottom effort.

All of this makes sense.

The only reason that any one is even talking about it is because, on the face of it, in the real world, it sounds ridiculous.

One guy has a resume that includes 2 years where he defined "clutch"
One guy has a resume that pretty much defines "fail", even if he may not deserve.

One guy has a host of SB and playoff records
One guy has 1 playoff win

One guy is know for having a great head for the game.
One guy is know for folding under pressure.

One guy is know for huge drives under pressure in big games
One guys is know for a litany of mistakes, mental errors and just bad plays in big games.

Meh...he's probably being more fair to Romo than many, and he's probably a little tired of hearing how it was all Eli on those SB runs.

On paper, he's got a point. Soon as they start playing the game on paper, I will care about it.

</P>

This.</P>

Some of my Cowboy fan friends were trying to talk smack about it last night.....1 playoff win in his entire NFL career is a great counter argument. They usually shut up pretty quickly after that.</P>

Bigbluereckingcrew
07-07-2012, 10:28 AM
What stat did Romo outshine Eli in besides interceptions?

Completion percentage? And this is supposed to be the mark for consistency... not 4th quarter comebacks?

That would be almost like praising drew brees for completing 70% of his passes. You have to take for account the offense of which Tony executes. The cowboys throw a ton of high percentage passes in their offense. I see a high number of screens, dump offs, and last option checkdowns in the passing game.

The Giants led the NFL in big plays completed downfield and ATTEMPTS. They are NOT a high percentage passing offense. It makes Eli's completion 61% all the more impressive

Oh ok, Romo threw 6 less interceptions than Eli. That completely eliminates the 4th qtr comebacks, better passing statistics, playoff wins, and a superbowl title

I'm highly disappointed in amani toomer

Containing on ur point, Romo had a healthy running for the majority of the season, in contrast Eli was carrying this team most, if not all season long. That would explain the interceptions but what, even the analysts on NFL net all agree that Eli is by far the most under rated player