PDA

View Full Version : All in for Joe Martinek

mainegiantsfan
07-06-2012, 05:19 PM
I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I really think he offers us a 3d down back spot and maybe more. We lost several games with tip toe Jacobs. I am not an expert at football, but having watched for sixty years, I think I can see a player when I see one. He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, combining speed, power, and running ability. If I'm wrong, fine, but if you are one of these know it alls, forget answering this post.. I'll already admit that this is a stretch, but one can't help but hope.

Gmen2005
07-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I think he'll be a good player. He never really had a line at Rutgers, and hopefully he can transition and take the next step.

Cool Papa B.
07-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, he does 2 things that TC demands from his RB's:

1. He blocks for the QB
2. He catches the ball well

At 224 lbs. he's gonna have to bulk up more IMO. And he doesn't look that explosive either. I like him too, but with Wilsonm, Ware, Scott & Brown in front of him he might start the season on the practice squad and then work his way up.

thomsoad
07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
I dont see Martinek being anything more then a special teams player and MAYBE #3 on the RB depth chart. Not bashing the guy...but i see no realistic possiblity of him surplanting Bradshaw, Wilson, or even Ware. And im going out on a limb and saying he has no chance of beating out Hynoski.

jomo
07-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Well, he does 2 things that TC demands from his RB's: 1. He blocks for the QB 2. He catches the ball well At 224 lbs. he's gonna have to bulk up more IMO. And he doesn't look that explosive either. I like him too, but with Wilsonm, Ware, Scott & Brown in front of him he might start the season on the practice squad and then work his way up.Ware and Brown could easily be gone but that still puts him no better than #4. I wish him all the best but we've got guys who do what he does, only they do it better.

JesseJames
07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
both Ware and Brown have been warming benches for years now so if Martinek can't beat either of them out for a roster spot then he wouldn't be much good for the team anyway. Now having said that I have heard from sports writers that this kid has the goods and should have a decent career in the NFL...

thomsoad
07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I am not an expert at football, but having watched for sixty years, He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, .

How exactly does Bradshaw not run hard? While i have watched Giants football for "only" 35+ years i would love for you to point out to me a harder running RB then Bradshaw. Bradshaws determined running is what endeared me to the kid in the first place!

Firenugget
07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
All I can say is that if he hopes to make the final roster, he better play damn good ST's.

buddy33
07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I don't dislike Ware, I just think he lacks a dynamic effect. What do I know though, he was just part of a Super Bowl winning team.

I like Martinek a lot and hope he makes the team. The problem he has is that they already have a least 4 guys ahead of him.

He is a a good blocker and plays bigger than he is. He can also catch the ball very well and has some good wheels. I just don't know if the have enough room for him. Bradshaw and Wilson will abviously make the team. Ware has the benefit of being in the team for a while. They drafted Scott jus last year and you don wan to give up on that kind of speed so soon. Brown was looking good in pre season last year as well.

jomo
07-07-2012, 12:21 AM
If he can show something, he would be plus vs. Ware or Scott in terms of salary cap impact. He'll need to be a beast on ST which was stated earlier.

Pierre-Paul
07-07-2012, 12:43 AM
I think if he makes the practice squad, that would be a good thing. Good to have a Jersey kid make the team. Seems like a pretty good paying job. I don't see him having the natural talent that people like Wilson or Bradshaw have. So starting in the NFL is probably a ways off for him.

giantsfan420
07-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I am not an expert at football, but having watched for sixty years, He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, .

How exactly does Bradshaw not run hard? While i have watched Giants football for "only" 35+ years i would love for you to point out to me a harder running RB then Bradshaw. Bradshaws determined running is what endeared me to the kid in the first place!

true. but when I read the OP i took it to mean hard runner equated a literal rb with the sole purpose of being a power back. bradshaw, while he def. runs hard, isn't necessarily a power back. he tries to evade tackles as much as he'll try to truck some one, maybe more. his hard running is continuing to churn those legs even when he's wrapped up...the "hard runner" i took to mean short yardage, strictly power back who is going to run hard into the pile...just my take tho i see ur point.

miked1958
07-07-2012, 01:49 AM
How many RBs will they carry?

1) AB
2) Wilson
3) Scott/Brown
4) Ware
5) Joe M

IMO if none of the other guys show the ability to be able to block and pick up the blitz to protect Eli from getting creamed then Ware makes the team for that reason alone which means brown or Scott will be gone and joe on PS

miked1958
07-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Other option is if Joe show something and they want to keep him then he can be a 2nd FB behind Hynoski depending on what happens withr the TE situation and Pascoe

mainegiantsfan
07-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes, I meant short yardage. We have been lacking that power guy that can get the first down on short yardage. This would fill a major void for us, and as you pointed out, he has fine hands, so when he comes in they can't strictly key on him running into the line.
I appreciate the responses to my thread, keeping it realistic. I just see the potential here, that's all.

miked1958
07-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes, I meant short yardage. We have been lacking that power guy that can get the first down on short yardage. This would fill a major void for us, and as you pointed out, he has fine hands, so when he comes in they can't strictly key on him running into the line.
I appreciate the responses to my thread, keeping it realistic. I just see the potential here, that's all.He won't be held on roster just for short yardage alone.they can groom Hynoski for that

GameTime
07-07-2012, 12:09 PM
I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I really think he offers us a 3d down back spot and maybe more. <FONT color=#000080 size=4>We lost several games with tip toe Jacobs. I am not an expert at football</FONT>, but having watched for sixty years, I think I can see a player when I see one. He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, combining speed, power, and running ability. If I'm wrong, fine, but if you are one of these know it alls, forget answering this post.. I'll already admit that this is a stretch, but one can't help but hope.</P>

Maybe chack all the games they Won with Jacobs. I am into a new local making good too but come on with trashing Jacobs . The guy had many times where he kicked ***. He is not an all time RB back by any means but he did way more good then bad when he was a Giant. </P>

fourth&forever
07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I appreciate the responses to my thread, keeping it realistic. I just see the potential here, that's all.

In my opinion Bradshaw is excellent in short yardage. He's the guy I want to see in there on 3rd & 1. I would love for Martinek to change my mind though.

By the way, have you seen the way Wilson runs? Very small and powerful. Led the nation in yards after contact I believe. Perhaps he becomes our best short yardage back (if he can hold onto the ball).

But whoever gets the call on the tough yards, at least it will no longer be Jacobs.

mainegiantsfan
07-07-2012, 01:01 PM
No knock on Jacobs for his overall contribution to the team for the long haul. He was one of my favorite Giants, but they sent him in on many short yardage situations that he bombed on. MY reason for using tip toe was refrencing many many posters on here that described it that way, which is what it was!!

mainegiantsfan
07-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Personally, I think he can be more than a short yardage guy, but if he solves that short yardage problem, that is enough for now. I agree Bradshaw is a very good short yardage guy, but when he has run a lot, to expect him to carry the short yardage is too much. A fresh set of legs would be much better.

Captain Chaos
07-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I really don't think he will make the team over brown, who I believe is up to 240 and is looking pretty good so far. He may be a practice squad guy at best, but who knows...just don't think so!

NY_Eli
07-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Personally, I think Martinek at the moment is purely injury insurance for Hynoski in an offense that may rely on a versatile fullback if the TEs cannot get up to speed.

miked1958
07-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Personally, I think Martinek at the moment is purely injury insurance for Hynoski in an offense that may rely on a versatile fullback if the TEs cannot get up to speed.Kinda what I said above..

Jiffy Jeff
07-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I dont see Martinek being anything more then a special teams player and MAYBE #3 on the RB depth chart. Not bashing the guy...but i see no realistic possiblity of him surplanting Bradshaw, Wilson, or even Ware. And im going out on a limb and saying he has no chance of beating out Hynoski.

Yeah..........Hynoski was too good to be dumped down on he depth chart or whatever, but I do think ( assuming he makes the cut) that Martinek will give us an opportunity to use the fullback in a more effective way in terms of catching balls out of the backfield in certain packages.

JJC7301
07-07-2012, 11:46 PM
I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I really think he offers us a 3d down back spot and maybe more. We lost several games with tip toe Jacobs. I am not an expert at football, but having watched for sixty years, I think I can see a player when I see one. He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, combining speed, power, and running ability. If I'm wrong, fine, but if you are one of these know it alls, forget answering this post.. I'll already admit that this is a stretch, but one can't help but hope.
I don't know anything about him, but Jacobs was a very unique RB when he was in his prime, so I'm not looking for any comparisons.

That being said, I'm not interested in Ware or Brown, so I hope that Martinek is good enough to replace one of those two.

jomo
07-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I really think he offers us a 3d down back spot and maybe more. We lost several games with tip toe Jacobs. I am not an expert at football, but having watched for sixty years, I think I can see a player when I see one. He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, combining speed, power, and running ability. If I'm wrong, fine, but if you are one of these know it alls, forget answering this post.. I'll already admit that this is a stretch, but one can't help but hope. I don't know anything about him, but Jacobs was a very unique RB when he was in his prime, so I'm not looking for any comparisons. That being said, I'm not interested in Ware or Brown, so I hope that Martinek is good enough to replace one of those two.Agreed, AB, Wilson, Scott and hopefully Martinek.

RagTime Blue
07-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Martinek is too small to play fullback in the NFL. So forget that. If Hynoski goes down, Bear steps in. We'll likely sign a castaway from another team to help out at TE for insurance for a situation like that.

I don't think Ware has ANY chance of being cut this season. Other than Bradshaw, he's the only guy TC can trust to NOT lose a game on his own.

If Martinek has any chance of making the 53, I think he has to completely overshadow Brown AND Scott. And both those guys have more time with the team than Joe M.

It can be done, but an uphill fight, no doubt.

giantsfan420
07-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Martinek is too small to play fullback in the NFL.* So forget that.* If Hynoski goes down, Bear steps in.* We'll likely sign a castaway from another team to help out at TE for insurance for a situation like that.

I don't think Ware has ANY chance of being cut this season.* Other than Bradshaw, he's the only guy TC can trust to NOT lose a game on his own.*

If Martinek has any chance of making the 53, I think he has to completely overshadow Brown AND Scott.* And both those guys have more time with the team than Joe M.*

huh? he def isnt too small to play fb. theres a ton of fbs around his weight. he would have to gain some weight though, which he could do with his frame, bc we like to use our fb's to primarily block. if martinek were to go to fb, i'd assume the role would change as well.

really, he gives u versatility as a rb, a fill in fb, and even an emergency te bc of his hands and ability to block...he could end up being a non qb tebow (or just tebow depending on the persons opinion of if hes even a qb)

it'll be interesting to see bc im sure they'll give him every chance to prove his worth.

thomsoad
07-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Martinek is too small to play fullback in the NFL.* So forget that.* If Hynoski goes down, Bear steps in.* We'll likely sign a castaway from another team to help out at TE for insurance for a situation like that.

I don't think Ware has ANY chance of being cut this season.* Other than Bradshaw, he's the only guy TC can trust to NOT lose a game on his own.*

If Martinek has any chance of making the 53, I think he has to completely overshadow Brown AND Scott.* And both those guys have more time with the team than Joe M.*

huh? he def isnt too small to play fb. theres a ton of fbs around his weight. he

First of all there arent even tons of FBs in the league. We are one of the few teams that even still have a FB. Second of all the other FB's in the league sure as hell weigh alot more then 220 lbs. Can you really see a 220 lb guy knocking back a charging Ray Lewis up the middle in short goal situations?? ... me neither.

sg92
07-09-2012, 10:42 AM

huh? he def isnt too small to play fb. theres a ton of fbs around his weight. he

First of all there arent even tons of FBs in the league. We are one of the few teams that even still have a FB. Second of all the other FB's in the league sure as hell weigh alot more then 220 lbs. Can you really see a 220 lb guy knocking back a charging Ray Lewis up the middle in short goal situations?? ... me neither.

Bleacher Report has a piece on the top 14 FB's in the league. I went through them all, and the smallest guy on that list is Jacob Hester, of SD. Hester is very good, and might be the best model for Martinek. He is 5'11", 235 pounds. I was surprised he weighs even that much, as he looks relatively small on the field.

The next smallest guy on the list was 240, and most were in the 245 to 260 range.

Notably, Hynoski made the list, at number 10.

Cool Papa B.
07-09-2012, 11:01 AM
@sg92

Can you post the link to that report? I would like to read it. Thanks.

thomsoad
07-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Bleacher Report has a piece on the top 14 FB's in the league. I went through them all, and the smallest guy on that list is Jacob Hester, of SD. Hester is very good, and might be the best model for Martinek. He is 5'11", 235 pounds. I was surprised he weighs even that much, as he looks relatively small on the field.

The next smallest guy on the list was 240, and most were in the 245 to 260 range.

The thing with Hester is he is molded more as a versatile FB in a Norv Turner offense. Which means blocking isnt his primary function. KG doesnt run that type of offense. In this offense a FB catching the ball is nice. But blocking is #1 priority...which he has no chance of beating out Hynoski. Like i said...ST is only way this kid makes the team

giantsfan420
07-09-2012, 01:39 PM

The thing with Hester is he is molded more as a versatile FB in a Norv Turner offense. Which means blocking isnt his primary function. KG doesnt run that type of offense. In this offense a FB catching the ball is nice. But blocking is #1 priority...which he has no chance of beating out Hynoski. Like i said...ST is only way this kid makes the team

well that was my point. in our offense, he'd be undersized. but there are plenty of teams that utilize the fb like the hester mold. i believe minnesota, st luis, and im sure i could look for more, used a more undersized fb that looks more like a rb than fb...that was just my point that martinek could still be a fb, he isnt that undersized where u can just say that...maybe he can even give us a diff look out of the fb spot than the prototypical run blocking fb.

like if a reporter were to say to KG, "Martinek cant play fb bc of his size right?" I'd bet KG would reply that he doesnt know if thats true and he could give u diff looks out of the fb spot than typically.

mainegiantsfan
07-09-2012, 02:43 PM
You make a good case about his versatility. I think this puts him ahead of Ware and Brown. I'd still like to see Scott get more exposure in pre season. I think Martinek and Scott have more to offer. With experience, Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott, and Martinek gives us as good group as there is in the league .

jomo
07-09-2012, 03:11 PM
You make a good case about his versatility. I think this puts him ahead of Ware and Brown. I'd still like to see Scott get more exposure in pre season. I think Martinek and Scott have more to offer. With experience, Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott, and Martinek gives us as good group as there is in the league .Not sure about them being as good a group as any in the league but I completely agree that they represent our best, most versatile andexplosive mix of running backs. Other than AB however, they are all in the "show me" mode right now. Let's hope they all come to camp ready to rock otherwise, one of them will not make the team and Ware will makeit based on being "safe."

sg92
07-09-2012, 04:34 PM
@sg92

Can you post the link to that report? I would like to read it. Thanks.

Here is the URL for the bleacher report bit on fullbacks. I had to google each player to see heights and weights.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1063034-br-nfl-1000-top-14-fullbacks