PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' D.J. WARE EMERGES AS EARLY FAVORITE TO WIN THE BACKUP RUNNING BACK JOB

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 07:04 PM
GIANTS' D.J. WARE EMERGES AS EARLY FAVORITE TO WIN THE BACKUP RUNNING BACK JOB (http://www.giants101.com/2012/07/06/new-york-giants-d-j-ware-emerges-as-early-favorite-to-win-backup-rb-job/)

"With the departure of <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Brandon Jacobs" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/brandon-jacobs/" rel="tag nofollow">Brandon
Jacobs</a> to the <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with San Francisco 49ers" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/san-francisco-49ers/" rel="tag nofollow">San
Francisco 49ers</a> this offseason, the <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> will spend a significant portion of training camp searching for a
viable backup running back heading into the 2012 campaign. With sixth-year
veteran Ahmad Bradshaw as the clear-cut starter, there are several players that
will compete for playing time in a backup role.

This offseason, the team used its' first-round draft pick on running back <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with David Wilson" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-wilson/" rel="tag nofollow">David
Wilson</a> out of Virginia Tech. However, veteran D.J. Ware appears to have the upper hand (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/14910/spotlight-david-wilson) in securing the
backup role, at least for the time being.</p>

</p>

D.J. Ware (http://www.giants101.com/tag/dj-ware/)
stands 6'0" while weighing in at 225 lbs. He has good size and runs the ball
hard in between the tackles. However, he is not particularly fast and is neither
a big play threat nor a great receiver out of the backfield.</p>

That being said, Ware is still extremely valuable to Big Blue's passing
attack. His emergence as the favorite to take over the backup running back role
is heavily dependent upon his advanced knowledge of the offense compared to that
of his competitors. He is not as explosive as <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with David Wilson" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-wilson/" rel="tag nofollow">David
Wilson</a> or as fast as Da'Rel Scott, but he has been around long enough to
become an asset as a pass-blocker. The team used Ware last season primarily in
passing situations and he performed well in that role. Furthermore, Ware had a
few nice runs on draw plays out of the shoutgun, which proved that he is capable
of making the occasional big play.</p>

D.J. Ware (http://www.giants101.com/tag/dj-ware/)'s
biggest competitor for the backup running back role is this years first-round
draft pick <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with David Wilson" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-wilson/" rel="tag nofollow">David
Wilson</a>. Wilson is a fast, explosive player that was used in a multitude of
roles during his three seasons at Virginia Tech. He earned 4,349 all-purpose
yards for his career, while integrating himself as an indispensable aspect of
the team's rushing, passing, and return games. His diversity is a major reason
why general manger <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Jerry Reese" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerry-reese/" rel="tag nofollow">Jerry
Reese</a> selected Wilson with the team's first-round pick. In a post-draft
interview, Reese stated the following:</p>
<blockquote>

"Hes fast. Hes productive. He can do anything you want him to do. He can
catch the ball. He can return kicks. I think he was overall ACC Player of the
Year and Offensive Player of the Year there. Hes an early-out junior. Terrific
football player."</p></blockquote>

The other competition for the backup running back position (http://www.giants101.com/2012/06/08/new-york-giants-running-backs-question-marks-heading-into-training-camp/) comes from
Da'RelScott and <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Andre Brown" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/andre-brown/" rel="tag nofollow">Andre
Brown</a>.</p>

Da'Rel Scott is widely reported to be the fastest player on the Giants'
roster (4.34 40-yard dash). Although he showed flashes of brilliance during the
preseason last year, Scott only saw five carries in the regular season and he
averaged a mere 3.2 yards per carry. However, because of the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) lockout,
this offseason the second-year players out of Maryland's first opportunity to go
through the full gauntlet of workouts and OTA's. With a year of experience under
his belt, Da'Rel Scott could become a contributor at some point this season.</p>

<a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Andre Brown" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/andre-brown/" rel="tag nofollow">Andre
Brown</a> is perhaps the biggest mystery on the Giants' running back depth
chart. In his four-year career at NC State, he averaged over 4.4 yards per carry
each season. However, after being drafted by the Giants in the fourth-round of
the 2009 NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Draft, Brown
ruptured his Achillestendon in training camp the same year. He was waived by
the Giants the following offseason.</p>

After bouncing around the league in 2010, Brown was brought back by the
Giants and spent most of last season on the practice squad. Although Brown saw
no regular season action with Big Blue in 2011, he has has shown the capability
to be both a rushing and receiving threat out of the backfield in practice. If
demonstrate an understanding of the offense, Brown could make the 53-man
roster.</p>

The situation at backup running back will be one of the most contested
positional battles throughout training camp. There are several players that each
have their own strengths and weaknesses that they bring to the table. However,
D.J. Ware (http://www.giants101.com/tag/dj-ware/) is
the only player being considered that has any significant experience in that
role. Look for him to see the majority of the snaps as the second running back
on the depth chart during the beginning of the season.</p>

However, as <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with David Wilson" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-wilson/" rel="tag nofollow">David
Wilson</a>, Da'Rel Scott, and <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Andre Brown" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/andre-brown/" rel="tag nofollow">Andre
Brown</a> each learn the playbook and pass protection schemes more thoroughly,
Ware will most likely see a decreased role within the offense as the season
progresses."</p>

Firenugget
07-06-2012, 07:34 PM
There must be very little to write about.. Talk about stating the obvious, the guy who's been here for years, knows the system, knows his blocking assignments within the system has the early upper hand for the #2 RB job...<font color="#FF0000">Surely not!</font>

bLuereverie
07-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm willing to bet that barring injury, Wilson will see reps in a limited package against Dallas.

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm willing to bet that barring injury, Wilson will see reps in a limited package against Dallas.

In all likelihood, he will be the # 3 back.

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
There must be very little to write about.. Talk about stating the obvious, the guy who's been here for years, knows the system, knows his blocking assignments within the system has the early upper hand for the #2 RB job...<font color="#FF0000">Surely not!</font>

This will pain some fans lol

bLuereverie
07-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Ware as the #3 back saw significant reps. I'm just saying Giants will definitely try to get their most dynamic player at the position on the field in a way without compromising the offense. Ware just isn't talented.

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Ware as the #3 back saw significant reps. I'm just saying Giants will definitely try to get their most dynamic player at the position on the field in a way without compromising the offense. Ware just isn't talented.

Ware is talented enough to be on the team. A few years ago he ran the ball for the entire 4th quarter against the Seattle Seahawks. Of course they will get their # 1 draft pick on the field. The question is can he makes the reads and blocks required of him? Even Gilbride, while heaping praise on Wilson's running talents, cautioned he still has to be able to do all of the other things they demand of their running backs. Those things are still in question.

RagTime Blue
07-06-2012, 08:11 PM
If Bradshaw misses a game due to injury (which is not unheard of), I'd bet that it's Wilson taking over. At least, that should be his goal going into training camp.

Ware is reliable mediocrity, when he's playing his best.

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
If Bradshaw misses a game due to injury (which is not unheard of), I'd bet that it's Wilson taking over. At least, that should be his goal going into training camp.

Ware is reliable mediocrity, when he's playing his best.

Wilson's goal should b e to replace Bradshaw. But it won't happen until he proves he's up to the task.

G-Man67
07-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Wilson will be in the mix from day 1 and so long as he takes care of the ball and does a decent job in pass protection, then he will quickly end up the #2, IMO

and the 2 biggest reasons are that he was a first rounder and b/c there is a good chance Bradshaw could miss some games, so Wilson will need to get up to speed more quickly than our young backs have in the past

RoanokeFan
07-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Wilson will be in the mix from day 1 and so long as he takes care of the ball and does a decent job in pass protection, then he will quickly end up the #2, IMO

and the 2 biggest reasons are that he was a first rounder and b/c there is a good chance Bradshaw could miss some games, so Wilson will need to get up to speed more quickly than our young backs have in the past

This is what they said about Scott last season.

THE_New_York_Giants
07-06-2012, 08:50 PM
I think the Giants will have a 4 running back rotation. 4 guys will see a fair amount of time in the backfield

jomo
07-06-2012, 09:14 PM
The person declaring Ware the early favorite is a guy named Ohm Youngmisuk or something like that writing for ESPN New York. So there you have it. </P>

If the source was Gilbride or Coughlin it would be meaningful.</P>

G-Man67
07-07-2012, 03:55 AM

last year we had 3 experienced RBs, so if one went down, we were OK, but this year we only have 2 experienced RBs, so if one goes down we need an inexperienced guy to be ready to go

and 1st rounders play in the NFL, so again peeps thinking Wilson will have the same role as Scott last year are sorely mistaken

Rat_bastich
07-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Of course prior to any real camp Ware is the incumbent(being the third back last year behind Bradshaw and Jacobs). The Giants have to say that he is the early favorite because behind Bradshaw he is the next senior man. But, when it is all said and done I believe if he remains with the team he will still be the third.

Heck, he may even begin the regular season as the second man. Once Wilson gets some time then he'll get pushed up in the rotation. After that it is up to Scott and Brown where Ware ends up. I am of the mind though that Brown doesn't make it even after all the talk of him gaining weight to be a power rusher.

Diamondring
07-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Our rookie and number one pick will take it.

mainegiantsfan
07-07-2012, 11:00 AM
As one poster said, he just isn't talented. His blocking offers nothing that we can't replace. He would be nothing but a 3d down back. We need improvement at that spot. I'd cut him.

Toadofsteel
07-07-2012, 12:56 PM
If ware is anything higher than 3rd string RB (either due to injury or actually beating out Wilson, Scott, and Brown for the gig), I'm calling that the Giants will have the last place rushing attack again...

RoanokeFan
07-07-2012, 01:15 PM

last year we had 3 experienced RBs, so if one went down, we were OK, but this year we only have 2 experienced RBs, so if one goes down we need an inexperienced guy to be ready to go

and 1st rounders play in the NFL, so again peeps thinking Wilson will have the same role as Scott last year are sorely mistaken

1st rounders play in the NFL if they make the transition. Who will play when will be determined in training camp/pre-season.

Joe Morrison
Some players are back ups, that is what we have here, need another back to split time with Bradshaw and be effective, not just a 3rd down draw play!</P>

</P>

RoanokeFan
If ware is anything higher than 3rd string RB (either due to injury or actually beating out Wilson, Scott, and Brown for the gig), I'm calling that the Giants will have the last place rushing attack again...

Why?

NYG4lifeNYK
07-07-2012, 01:20 PM
<font size="6">NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO</font>

RoanokeFan
07-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Folks, put this into perspective. We've not had one contact practice, Wilson hasn't taken one snap as a professional football player, Scott had the dropsies last year.....I might be worried if this was the week before our first regular season game.

JJC7301
07-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Ware being the # 2 would not be a good sign for how good our RB corp is. Hopefully, Wilson will be the # 2, at least by mid-season.

jomo
07-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Ware being the # 2 would not be a good sign for how good our RB corp is. Hopefully, Wilson will be the # 2, at least by mid-season.I don't think so. Ware being #3 or #4 would be a good sign. For our weak #3 from last year to move up would be discouraging.

Bigbluereckingcrew
07-08-2012, 02:40 AM

Well that remains to be seen, one good bit of news however is apparently we don't need a rushing attack to win a championship...would be nice to see a home run threat in the back field like scott for a change.

Captain Chaos
07-08-2012, 05:34 AM
I think Bradshaw will have a normal season, that means he will sit out a few games due to his feet and ankles. I think Wilson will be the guy that they will feature when that happens. I see Ware in a battle for a roster spot with Scott and Brown.

Toadofsteel
07-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Why?

Because Ware is just plain horrible at RB. You could give him the best O-line in the league and he couldn't produce. The only time I've seen him gain any significant yardage in recent memory is in the shotgun draw (and only if the defense actually bites on it and follows the receivers). If that beats out Wilson (as well as Scott and Brown) at RB, methinks our rushing attack is screwed in 2012...

Well that remains to be seen, one good bit of news however is apparently we don't need a rushing attack to win a championship...would be nice to see a home run threat in the back field like scott for a change. Opposing teams will be more prepared to stop the pass than in last year, seeing how we won it all with a last-place rushing attack.

That said, the run game did improve towards the postseason, exemplified by Jacobs breaking out that huge run against the Falcons. But we don't have Jacobs anymore. And Bradshaw's feet can't hold up if he goes by himself. We need a good back to split carries with him. Ware is not that back.

nhpgiantsfan
07-08-2012, 08:16 AM
This is no surprise at all. TC does not play rookie running backs until he is positive that they can pass block and hold the ball. He doenst care what round they are drafted in. This has been his way for his entire tenure here. If he proves he can block and hold onto the ball, then he will get playing time, but until then TC is not going to risk getting Eli killed.

RoanokeFan
07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
This is no surprise at all. TC does not play rookie running backs until he is positive that they can pass block and hold the ball. He doenst care what round they are drafted in. This has been his way for his entire tenure here. If he proves he can block and hold onto the ball, then he will get playing time, but until then TC is not going to risk getting Eli killed.

This ^ and Gilbride said that as he was heaping praise on Wilson's ability to be "explosive." If he can't block and pick up the blitz he's not going to play much. We all hope he is worth the first round selection but we don't know he is just yet.

As a first round pick, he should be looking to knock Bradshaw off the perch, not Ware.

RoanokeFan
07-08-2012, 10:14 AM
I think Bradshaw will have a normal season, that means he will sit out a few games due to his feet and ankles. I think Wilson will be the guy that they will feature when that happens. I see Ware in a battle for a roster spot with Scott and Brown.

You may be right, but Ware has been here a while now behind some pretty good tandems. All we can realistically hope for is they keep the producers.

jomo
07-08-2012, 10:23 AM

You may be right, but Ware has been here a while now behind some pretty good tandems. All we can realistically hope for is they keep the producers.
If Ware comes out of camp as the #3, that would be a good sign because it means we've found another legitimate part of a starting tandem. If Ware is #4 that would be even better because it means that Scott has taken the next step. If Ware is #2, that would mean that none of our more talented backs have stepped up and we are saddled with a VERY mediocre back behind an oft injured Bradshaw. Having now watched alot of tape on Wilson, I see him easily slotting in at #2. The real battle IMO will be between Scott and Ware for #3. It will be interesting to watch.

NorwoodBlue
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
A couple points need to be made here:

We had the last place rushing attack for the season; but during the playoff run, we averaged over 100 yd/game, and Jacobs contributed little to that. So the rushing attack isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The line should be better this year also.

Second, Da'rel Scott came into last season with zero OTA and a very brief training camp. He will likely be better and Wilson will also have the advantage of a normal preseason routine. Both should benefit from that far more than Ware.

To Ware's credit, he is supposed to have put in a very good off-season. He should come into camp in better shape than ever. His big thing is he's got to prove he can run hard between the tackles.

Andre Brown is a wild card, and I don't really think it would take much for him to pass Ware in the depth chart.

I wouldn't say that Ware is sitting in the number two spot with any security at all. His best chance is if he can become a short yardage back. He's got the young guy from Rutgers challenging for that role too.

My best guess is that the reality of the situation is that either Brown or Ware will make this team. The other is gone. Ware may have the early edge; and the pre-season is going to be huge for both of these guys. If the kid from Rutgers shows short yardage ability, they might both be gone. Whomever gets cut will do a Derrick Ward imitation and fade rapidly into obscurity.

jomo
07-08-2012, 11:03 AM
A couple points need to be made here:

We had the last place rushing attack for the season; but during the playoff run, we averaged over 100 yd/game, and Jacobs contributed little to that. So the rushing attack isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The line should be better this year also.

Second, Da'rel Scott came into last season with zero OTA and a very brief training camp. He will likely be better and Wilson will also have the advantage of a normal preseason routine. Both should benefit from that far more than Ware.

To Ware's credit, he is supposed to have put in a very good off-season. He should come into camp in better shape than ever. His big thing is he's got to prove he can run hard between the tackles.

Andre Brown is a wild card, and I don't really think it would take much for him to pass Ware in the depth chart.

I wouldn't say that Ware is sitting in the number two spot with any security at all. His best chance is if he can become a short yardage back. He's got the young guy from Rutgers challenging for that role too.

My best guess is that the reality of the situation is that either Brown or Ware will make this team. The other is gone. Ware may have the early edge; and the pre-season is going to be huge for both of these guys. If the kid from Rutgers shows short yardage ability, they might both be gone. Whomever gets cut will do a Derrick Ward imitation and fade rapidly into obscurity.

Nice, compete analysis of the situation. I agree with all of it. Much better than anything you'll be reading in the media these days. Good job!

JesseJames
07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Ware's insurance as a Giant lies in the fact that he's a veteran who knows the offense very well and isn't likely to blow a play, he is a decent receiver out of he backfield and decent blocker, all these things are attributes that TC loves...

RoanokeFan
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM

If Ware comes out of camp as the #3, that would be a good sign because it means we've found another legitimate part of a starting tandem. If Ware is #4 that would be even better because it means that Scott has taken the next step. If Ware is #2, that would mean that none of our more talented backs have stepped up and we are saddled with a VERY mediocre back behind an oft injured Bradshaw. Having now watched alot of tape on Wilson, I see him easily slotting in at #2. The real battle IMO will be between Scott and Ware for #3. It will be interesting to watch.

I think it's important to re-read the headline where it reads "early favorite." At this stage in the season he may as well have said Harooni was the early favorite. If Reese is up to his usual standards, Wilson will be the # 2 at some point this season, hopefully on day 1 of the regular season. But Wilson's skills at running the ball will play second fiddle to hie ability to make reads in the backfield that keep Eli upright.

ShakeNBake
07-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Good post jomo, I agree the lower that ware is on the depth chart at the beginning of the season the better for us because that means that our young guys are coming along.

myles2424
07-08-2012, 03:38 PM

are putting 7th rd pick darrel Scott who never did much in college if he didn't have a wide open lane in the same category as 1st rd pick David Wilson who absolutely destroyed competition???