PDA

View Full Version : M. Bennetts weight?

ToneZak
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
reported to camp at 291? anyone hear anything about this?

Gianthunter
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
is he sitting on you?

slipknottin
07-09-2012, 06:31 PM
not really that significant of a deal. His body fat is in the right range, during training camp he will likely burn off somewhere between 5-10 pounds.

jomo
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
reported to camp at 291? anyone hear anything about this?We beat this dead horse a few weeks ago. We'll see how he reports and go from there. He does have a huge frame and as Slip said, he'll probably burn 10 quick ones in camp if hehas the right mental and physical approach.

jax5338
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
one good dump and hell be around 285, then add in camp and he'll lose the rest.

BeatYale
07-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Old news bro. Did you just get out of prison?

TuckYou
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
When Giants tight ends coach Mike Pope revealed that Martellus Bennett (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4639/martellus-bennett)’s weight had ballooned to 291 pounds this offseason, Pope said Bennett was “too big for his legs to carry (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/01/martellus-bennett-weighs-in-at-291-pounds/).” But Bennett talked to reporters shirtless today and told them he’s 291 pounds of solid muscle.</P>

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports that Bennett stood in front of the media in just shorts and asked, “Do I look fat? (https://twitter.com/TheBlueScreen/status/209687282234560512)” (Vacchiano does not supply his answer.)</P>

Bennett added that he reached to 291 pounds (up from his lifted weight of 265) because he “rocked out” in the weight room and turned himself into “a physical freak.”</P>

Personally, I dont think he looks that bad.</P>

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXFCtu3YnyQ-9sPDg2Grm86oKHdyxrEWhqRayV8OJ0dueATQWtVw</P>

</P>

FYI, this is Bennett in the middle:</P>

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fRZ1jZ0XpdM2/439x.jpg</P>

GMENAGAIN
07-10-2012, 11:06 AM
not really that significant of a deal. His body fat is in the right range, during training camp he will likely burn off somewhere between 5-10 pounds.</P>

If it's not significant, why doesPope seem to be concerned about it?</P>

buddy33
07-10-2012, 11:24 AM
He also said that he plans on moving to more yoga and Pilates during training camp. Those will stretch him out but he will lose some of the muscle he built in the off season. By the time the 1st game comes around he could easily be 10-15 pounds lighter.

giantsfan420
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
imo, it doesnt hurt if bennet is heavier than 265. 290 seems a bit much, but 275/280 would seem fine. wasnt ballard around 260 himself?

we use the TE to block, a lot. Him having bulk is not a bad thing. Further, I dont think we were ever planning on using him as a deep threat. sure he will have some deep receptions, but for the most part i think we're expecting him to be a short-intermediate target and redzone target. again, him being more bulked up isnt bad in that regard...the extra weight will slow down his overall speed, but it shouldnt effect his quickness or agility all that much...

and like others said, he'll prob lose some of it anyways, and he isnt fat or anything, he's correct when he said he's a physical freak, he is...and also he's had a hamstring issue or something if i recall so maybe that has something to do with the added weight...havent heard a word about this since that story broke so I assume everything will be worked out to the giants preference

greenca190
07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
imo, it doesnt hurt if bennet is heavier than 265. 290 seems a bit much, but 275/280 would seem fine. wasnt ballard around 260 himself?

we use the TE to block, a lot. Him having bulk is not a bad thing. Further, I dont think we were ever planning on using him as a deep threat. sure he will have some deep receptions, but for the most part i think we're expecting him to be a short-intermediate target and redzone target. again, him being more bulked up isnt bad in that regard...the extra weight will slow down his overall speed, but it shouldnt effect his quickness or agility all that much...

and like others said, he'll prob lose some of it anyways, and he isnt fat or anything, he's correct when he said he's a physical freak, he is...and also he's had a hamstring issue or something if i recall so maybe that has something to do with the added weight...havent heard a word about this since that story broke so I assume everything will be worked out to the giants preference

I believe Ballard was around 280.

burier
07-10-2012, 01:22 PM
not really that significant of a deal. His body fat is in the right range, during training camp he will likely burn off somewhere between 5-10 pounds.

and he'd still weigh too much.

His weight better damn well not be 291. That can't be right.

burier
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM

The extra weight will certainly effect his quickness and agility as a matter of physics.

Jake Ballard is listed on ESPN.com at 275 and its a known fact that Ballard was brought in to block. No one expected him to catch anything and despite his recieving prowess was tremedously slow and caugh a bunch of passed due to teams forgetting to cover him.

I was under the impression that Bennet was brought in to catch balls as well as block. And Bennett's game hasn't had anything to do with being a blodding glorified tackle.

BeatYale
07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Outside of the bigger linemen, how often do players maintain their bulked up weight through out the season? It's highly unlikely that he's going to be playing at 291 considering players deplete in weight through out training camp and the course of the season.

Strahan said even when he was listed at 270+ he would be back down to 255 by the end of the season.

myles2424
07-10-2012, 02:48 PM
He may look good without a shirt on, but anyone that's into bodybuilding knows, it's physically impossible to gain from 270 to 291 & it be all muscle....(without juice)
So clearly he's gained muscle,some fat,water weight,glycogen,ect.....

He needs to lose a few lbs & I'm sure he knows that, bring it down to 280 & he'll be fine

buddy33
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
At 6'7 and as low a body fat as he claimed I don't understand why he weights to much. A guy his size with a low body fat cold be very hard to tackle and he could be very effective blocking.

GMENAGAIN
07-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Well, Pope certainly seemed to be annoyed about his weight . . . .

buddy33
07-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Pope said its PROBABLY a LITTLE to much weight for his legs to carry. Bennett also said he was going to be switching his workouts. He could easily be 10-15 pounds lighter by the start of the season.

slipknottin
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
not really that significant of a deal. His body fat is in the right range, during training camp he will likely burn off somewhere between 5-10 pounds.</P>

If it's not significant, why does*Pope seem to be concerned about it?</P>

He didnt seem that concerned about it to me.

"that is probably a little too big for his legs to carry"

Not "he is 25 pounds heavier than we want".

Sounds to me, like they would like him maybe 10-15 pounds lighter. Which isnt that difficult to drop during camp.

If Bennett showed up at 250 pounds, that would be a far bigger issue. Much easier to drop weight than gain muscle.

GMENAGAIN
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM

If it's not significant, why doesPope seem to be concerned about it?</P>

He didnt seem that concerned about it to me. "that is probably a little too big for his legs to carry" Not "he is 25 pounds heavier than we want". Sounds to me, like they would like him maybe 10-15 pounds lighter. Which isnt that difficult to drop during camp. If Bennett showed up at 250 pounds, that would be a far bigger issue. Much easier to drop weight than gain muscle.</P>

I don't know why he would have mentioned it at all if he wasn't concerned, but in all honesty I'm not really familiar with the context in which Pope gave the quote . . . . . so maybe he isn't concerned.</P>

We'll see soon enough I guess.</P>

slipknottin
07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't know why he would have mentioned it at all if he wasn't concerned,

He was asked about him being injured.

GMENAGAIN
07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't know why he would have mentioned it at all if he wasn't concerned, He was asked about him being injured.</P>

In that context then, maybe he wasn't referencing Bennett's weight because he was concerned.</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
07-10-2012, 05:39 PM
He may look good without a shirt on, but anyone that's into bodybuilding knows, it's physically impossible to gain from 270 to 291 &amp; it be all muscle....(without juice)

He needs to lose a few lbs &amp; I'm sure he knows that, bring it down to 280 &amp; he'll be fine

you are completely wrong. You can go from 270 to 291 and it be mainly muscle with a little healthy fat. Keep in mind Bennett is a millionaire athlete. He can probably hire a diet doctor and a personal trainer to get him there. His BMI was at 10%. That's about as good as it gets. Have you seen a picture of Bennett at 291? He actually looks healthier than he did at 270. He has the same frame as JPP and JPP is up to about that weight now and nobody is calling him fat. Ballard was 6'6 280. Bennett is 6'7.5 and is 290. He could have started this weight training in December or earlier for all we know. He weighed in in late May.

buddy33
07-10-2012, 05:58 PM
No one is gainng 21 pounds of muscle in an offseason. Even when people go on a bulk they know a retain amount of that weight is fat. The same way you lose muscle while also losing fat.

slipknottin
07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
No one is gainng 21 pounds of muscle in an offseason. Even when people go on a bulk they know a retain amount of that weight is fat. The same way you lose muscle while also losing fat.

While this is true, Bennett's body fat percentage is still really low, he says he is currently at 13, and says he will be around 9 by the time the season starts.

buddy33
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah I know. Who knows when they weighed him. You can be as much as 5 pounds heavier one day to the next depending on what time of the day they weight you or what you ate. Say he ate a lot of sodium the day before. He could easily have been holding water.

titwio
07-10-2012, 09:06 PM

This is what concerns me about Nicks. He says every year his regime is he works out heavy, puts on lbs in the offseason so that when training camp rolls around he'll be able to burn it off in time for the season.

If he misses time in training camp I wonder what kind of shape he'll be in come game time.

buddy33
07-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Well Nicks won't be able to work out heavy because of his injury so maybe he won't pack on as much.

myles2424
07-11-2012, 03:28 AM
He may look good without a shirt on, but anyone that's into bodybuilding knows, it's physically impossible to gain from 270 to 291 & it be all muscle....(without juice)

He needs to lose a few lbs & I'm sure he knows that, bring it down to 280 & he'll be fine

you are completely wrong.* You can go from 270 to 291 and it be mainly muscle with a little healthy fat.* Keep in mind Bennett is a millionaire athlete.* He can probably hire a diet doctor and a personal trainer to get him there.* His BMI was at 10%.* That's about as good as it gets.* Have you seen a picture of Bennett at 291?* He actually looks healthier than he did at 270.* He has the same frame as JPP and JPP is up to about that weight now and nobody is calling him fat.* Ballard was 6'6 280.* Bennett is 6'7.5 and is 290.* He could have started this weight training in December or earlier for all we know.* He weighed in in late May.
yes you can gain that much muscle, not in a NFL offseason though......physically impossible.....not saying it's all fat, but %100 positive that it's not all muscle