PDA

View Full Version : This years sleeper break out player

Pa1jintfan
07-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Name who you think will become this years Vic Cruz. Actually I think it's pretty slim that anyone has the breakout that V.C did. But I'm saying, which bench player or even rookie steps up his game to earn a starting role or household name

Offense- Mitch petrus. Possibly JJ or Barden

Defense- Marvin Austin. Possibly rivers or hosley

I started from the trenches. I would love to see petrus earn a starting spot. I like his run blocking. And especially his energy, attitude. Marvin Austin could either be a total bust, or a nightmare for every guard and center in the league. I see him as all or nothing. Other than that, I chose a receiver because someone is gonna reap huge benefits from our 1-2 punch of nicks and Cruz. And of every name I chose, I am hoping that rivers blows it up the most. He could be that missing piece, we have been starving for a big playmaker at LB. I am so excited to see how we use this wide variety of talent that we have.

slipknottin
07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
I think this year KP finally gets the recognition he deserves. One of the best young safetys in the league.

Blue_Buddha
07-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Lots of talent to choose from

On D I like Linval and Prince
On O I like Marty B and Ahmad Bradshaw

FearNYGiants
07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I think if Cruz is willing to switch back and forth between the Y and Z Jerell Jernigan could have a breakout season in the slot. It'd be risking a lot considering the proven success Cruz can already have though. If KG and Coughlin are willing to take a risk Cruz playing some snaps in the slot with Randle on the outside and others on the outside with J Jernigan in the slot I think that could really potentially give defensive coordinators fits.

EDIT: I missed the keyword "sleeper" there before, if anyone quoted or responded to my previous post I apologize for that; just staying on point..

Breezely
07-09-2012, 08:39 PM
My guess:

Prince, Jernigan, Herzlich and maybe Marvin Austin

and I must add, the special teams should be vastly improved this year. There is going to be a lot of talent and speed on the special team units.

miked1958
07-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Wilson
Randall
Austin
Hixon

Captain Chaos
07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Love your picks:

O - Barden
D - Rivers

I'm thinking Petrus will have his chance this year, but it won't be a break out season.

jomo
07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
O - Wilson</P>

D - Prince</P>

[H]</P>

GMENAGAIN
07-09-2012, 10:21 PM
It's hard to classify first or second round picks as "sleepers".</P>

D - Herzlich</P>

O - Jernigan</P>

Two guys who the fans don't seem to expect too much from, who could bust out this year . . . </P>

</P>

TucknRolle
07-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Call me crazy but i think hynoski is going to get some recognition this year. He started coming on last year

MikeIsaGiant
07-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Offense - Randle

Defense - Prince

Special Teams - Jernigan

Kase-1
07-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I think Prince is gonna be a damned BEAST this season, think/hope, whatever LOL

fourth&forever
07-09-2012, 10:57 PM
O - Wilson</P>

D - Prince</P>

[H]</P>

Why do you snub your cousin from Miami?

Rookie DE, Adewale OJomo

FearNYGiants
07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Offense - Randle

Defense - Prince

Special Teams - Jernigan

I'm hoping both Jernigan on kickoffs and Hosley on Punts pan out well and we see a reinvigorated special teams. They both have scary potential in that regard IMO.
There's always old reliable Hixon if they don't though. (Take that however you please.)

FUUFNF
07-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Saying guys like Wilson, Randle, or Prince isn't really quite the same as a "sleeper" or "dark-horse" kinda guy like Victor Cruz... I mean all those guys are 1st and 2nd rounders... Those guys should, and are expected, to produce.

fourth&forever
07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
O- Rueben Randle
D- Linval Joseph

Kick returns- Wilson

JJC7301
07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
My guess:

Prince, Jernigan, Herzlich and maybe Marvin Austin

and I must add, the special teams should be vastly improved this year. There is going to be a lot of talent and speed on the special team units.
Good choices. I'm particularly interested in Prince and Austin, but maybe too much to expect a lot from Austin considering he hasn't played in a few years. Tons of potential, though.

jomo
07-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Saying guys like Wilson, Randle, or Prince isn't really quite the same as a "sleeper" or "dark-horse" kinda guy like Victor Cruz... I mean all those guys are 1st and 2nd rounders... Those guys should, and are expected, to produce.You are right, I'll go with Austin and Petrus.

MikeIsaGiant
07-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Okay, how about Eli Manning?

I mean, the dude can't get out of his slump.

Stop with the turnovers man

/redfont

joeybagadonutz23
07-10-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm hoping for Williams, Herzlich on D and for Barden to finally do something this year. He'd be a great big target giving a lot of versatility out on the field with Nicks and Cruz.

BlueSanta
07-10-2012, 03:00 AM
<font color="#FF0000">Eli Manning. This is the year he will finally surpass Romo
</font>

qroze
07-10-2012, 03:43 AM
J. Williams on D and Jernigan

buffyblue
07-10-2012, 04:34 AM
After his excellent play in the postseason I expect Prince to arrive this season and dominate.

Marvin Austin will explode and perform like our other TarHeel greats.

I bELIeve.

jakegibbs
07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Name who you think will become this years Vic Cruz. Actually I think it's pretty slim that anyone has the breakout that V.C did. But I'm saying, which bench player or even rookie steps up his game to earn a starting role or household name

Offense- Mitch petrus. Possibly JJ or Barden

Defense- Marvin Austin. Possibly rivers or hosley

I started from the trenches. I would love to see petrus earn a starting spot. I like his run blocking. And especially his energy, attitude. Marvin Austin could either be a total bust, or a nightmare for every guard and center in the league. I see him as all or nothing. Other than that, I chose a receiver because someone is gonna reap huge benefits from our 1-2 punch of nicks and Cruz. And of every name I chose, I am hoping that rivers blows it up the most. He could be that missing piece, we have been starving for a big playmaker at LB. I am so excited to see how we use this wide variety of talent that we have.

Terrell Thomas he's due to make up for lost time 10 ints (3 off RG3-3=0) (3 off Romo greater than Eli) (4 off Vick the dog slayer) & probowl.

RagTime Blue
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm picking Brewer and Prince (although not sure if he qualifies as a sleeper).

TuckYou
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Martelus Bennett, Adrian Tracy

giantsfan420
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
wilson or randle, one of these guys is going to break out big time and i'm calling one of em wins ORoY.

Defensively, I'm going to go with T2 out of the 3rd Safety/Nickel role and has a Charles Woodson like season.

Toadofsteel
07-10-2012, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't call Wilson or Randle "sleepers" since they were the 1st and 2nd round picks. Sleepers are folks that you wouldn't expect to be good being good.

Offense:
-Bennett
-Brewer (predict he will start at RT by the end of the season)
-Jernigan

Defense:
-Herzlich
-Prince (yeah he was a 1st rounder last year but he was injured half the season and as such nobody thought much of him),
-Jacquian

nycsportzfan
07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
First off, i'm going with my guy Linval Joseph to not only be recognized as a up and coming DT, that had took the first step last yr in doing so, but a Stud DT who offically gets Barry Cofield outta the minds of anyone who still thought about em..lol</P>

</P>

I'll also go with Will Beatty.. I think Beatty's luck is finally with em health wise, and he quickly establishes himself as the future LT at the positon, and will be a key guy for us to re-sign when the contracts up..</P>

</P>

A few others- Jerrell Jerrnigan(loved em coming out, and loss of mario will pave the way)</P>

T.Thomas- Comeback player of the yr canadite, who brings the big play back to the </P>

secondary..</P>

Mark Herzlich- Tough call, but i'm going with herz.. I think the instincts will start to </P>

show more often, with anohter yr away from cancer, and yr in bigs under his </P>

belt...</P>

jimsgints
07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Wilson will be the next Cruz.

BeatYale
07-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Saying guys like Wilson, Randle, or Prince isn't really quite the same as a "sleeper" or "dark-horse" kinda guy like Victor Cruz... I mean all those guys are 1st and 2nd rounders... Those guys should, and are expected, to produce.

True, but around here certain guys people have lost faith in prematurely. JJ, for example.

buddy33
07-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I think Prince already broke out. I know it was on a very limited basis, but as a rookie who didn'tlay much during the season he came up huge when called on in the playoffs. I think he has already showed us why he was such a huge draft pick.

I still hoping Austin comes in and tears it up but I have to say I was a little disappointed to hear he looked overweight. I remember reading it but they didn't really say how overweight he was. If its 5-10 no big deal.

GMENAGAIN
07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Wilson will be the next Cruz.</P>

How so? Wilson was a first round draft pick and Cruz was an UDFA.</P>

GMENAGAIN
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM
It's hard to classify first or second round picks as "sleepers".</P>

D - Herzlich</P>

O - Jernigan</P>

Two guys who the fans don't seem to expect too much from, who could bust out this year . . . </P>

</P>

</P>

Wanted to add one guy to my offensive "sleeper" list . . . . .David Baas. Had a strange year with no offseason, a new team and injuries, but played very well in the SB. Hoping that he starts this season where he left off . . . . .</P>

since55
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know about player. But the breakout sleeper team (based on all the disrespect from espn) will definitely be the NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS!

Shockeystays08
07-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't call Wilson or Randle "sleepers" since they were the 1st and 2nd round picks. Sleepers are folks that you wouldn't expect to be good being good.

Offense:
-Bennett
-Jernigan

Defense:
-Herzlich
-Prince (yeah he was a 1st rounder last year but he was injured
half the season and as such nobody thought much of him),
-Jacquian

Out of all the posts so far, I think you nailed it with your choices. Brewer maybe the only?

funny how some folks think a 1st and 2nd round choice qualifies as a sleeper.
I also think Wilson and Randle will contribute but not break out as some think. especially Randle.
JJ and J. Williams are gonna have very productive seasons IMHO.

Toadofsteel
07-10-2012, 06:06 PM

Offense:
-Bennett
-Jernigan

Defense:
-Herzlich
-Prince (yeah he was a 1st rounder last year but he was injured
half the season and as such nobody thought much of him),
-Jacquian

Out of all the posts so far, I think you nailed it with your choices. Brewer maybe the only?

funny how some folks think a 1st and 2nd round choice qualifies as a sleeper.
I also think Wilson and Randle will contribute but not break out as some think. especially Randle.
JJ and J. Williams are gonna have very productive seasons IMHO.

I only named brewer because I think he's going to have a breakout year. Maybe Petrus too. I wouldn't call it for Baas since, honestly, he's one of the unsung heroes of last season. The man held off Vince freaking Wilfork one-on-one for much of the SB. I don't think he really has that much to prove.

And honestly, I don't think Prince does either. He shut down huge swaths of field when he played in the playoffs. So i take back what I said about him being a "sleeper", but he will still have a breakout year.

JesseJames
07-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I guess if I was to pick just one player to break out it would be Prince because our defense can rush the passer very well but seems to have trouble defending the pass, so we need someone to be our shutdown corner and hopefully Prince can be that guy.....

BeatYale
07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I think there's only a handful of players on the team that meet the criteria to be considered as a sleeper/dark horse and they are bench players who would have to be thrown into a starting role because of injuries or an awesome training camp/pre-season. It's too early to tell in that regard.

I think JJ and Rivers will have productive seasons though.

Breezely
07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I like the Beatty pick!!

jax5338
07-10-2012, 08:03 PM
hynoski

Breezely
07-10-2012, 08:12 PM
OK, I guess my picks weren't as daring as picks some were looking for. So I am about to jump out the window and go with:

Brandon Collins, Rookie, Wide Receiver , SE Louisiana

BRANDON COLLINS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNjnraNCJs)

egyptian420
07-10-2012, 08:36 PM
O - Wilson</p>

D - Prince</p>

[H]</p>
Now that would be ideal. I'm hoping atleast one of them goes above and beyond. If I had to chose who I think it will be, I would have to say Prince.

FearNYGiants
07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
If Terell Thomas is healthy enough to take on the #1 receivers or if Prince is deemed far enough along to take on those duties by the time the beginning of the season rolls around; I think Webster going from taking on the #1s back to taking on the #2s could result in a monster season for him as a result of the reduced difficulty.

mcillo
07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Justin Tyron .

Barden if given opportunity.

M Bennett

SuperMario82
07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Brandon Bing (If he makes the squad)

Brandon jacobs
07-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Da'rell scott?

Pa1jintfan
07-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Some good names here. When I started the topic, was looking for some guys that anybody who's not a giant fan, never heard of them. Like Vic Cruz. He was basically unheard of. Like petrus and lots of others. Usually there's a player or 2 that really make a name for themselves. And I agree. Any player drafted high should be a house hold name already. A perfect example would be antonio pierce. He went from undrafted to pro bowl player.. Gotta love those players..

Blue_Buddha
07-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Some good names here. When I started the topic, was looking for some guys that anybody who's not a giant fan, never heard of them. Like Vic Cruz. He was basically unheard of. Like petrus and lots of others. Usually there's a player or 2 that really make a name for themselves. And I agree. Any player drafted high should be a house hold name already. A perfect example would be antonio pierce. He went from undrafted to pro bowl player.. Gotta love those players..

ok I will add a true sleeper ...I know nothing about the guy but coches and players like him... Dan Depalma http://nfl.si.com/2012/02/02/who-is-dan-depalma-only-the-giants-secret-weapon-in-practice/

GLENN7
07-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Offense: Adrian Robinson, Da'rell Scott (once AB gets hurt and wilson is starter, Scott will get carries.)
Defense: Austin, Maybe Sash if he gets a chance

ingoodshape
07-15-2012, 03:04 PM
here here , i agree ................................ the big sleeper . yes if the giants decide to play him . he is just to damn fast .......... remember speed kills peaches

gumby742
07-15-2012, 04:29 PM
call me crazy but martellus bennett. If Eli has another monster season. He'll benefit.

giantsfan420
07-15-2012, 05:00 PM
call me crazy but martellus bennett. If Eli has another monster season. He'll benefit.

i agree i expect big things from bennett this season

Pa1jintfan
07-15-2012, 08:45 PM
If Bennett has a big year, this team is scary as hell. Eli throws over 5k yards. We run well and no team can match up with the firepower we have. You just can't cover these guys.. Can't wait to see how we use everyone. Ex. Wilson. Randle. Hixon. J.J.