PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the first Giants fan to crack this season?

Pages : 1 [2]

gumby742
07-14-2012, 12:02 AM
In MY Humble Opinion....( I know everyone has been waitng for this)[:)]........While I don't believe that any true Giants fan "roots against" Eli...... there ARE some (not saying YOU MS) who take pleasure or "gloat" about being "right"*when Eli*has a bad game.....just sayin

I seem to recollect a time when good ole Fbomb had thrown in the towel on Eli, and if the towel had not actually left your hand, it was very very close.

And rightly so I might add...
</p>

2007....Vikings....6 int* and 3 of them went for 6.* Trust me...there was no "gloating" going on for me.* I let him have it.* Then he goes and wins SB MVP.* You may all thank me..... one at a time please.[:)]</p>

No, you didn't gloat at all.* It was just pure frustration that we all (or most of us) felt.

So now contrast our thoughts with that of a homer making excuses and throwing everyone and anyone under the bus to try to take the heat off Eli.

I mean, I remember the homers throwing John Mara under the bus for forcing Eli to play in an outdoor stadium.

WTF man.
i remember it differently. i remember afterpeformances like the vikings "pick 6" game, that afterwards there were plenty of people talking about blowing up the team, getting rid of eli, claiming we got duped, posters creating threads centered around "how we could have had 3 probowlers and rivers instead of eli"...and then there were those who went "<u>calm down. be patient. eli is an awesome qb</u>, he is gonna be one of the best one day. let him develop." to say that at such a turbulent time led to a lot of backlash at eli and those who werent ready to give up on eli....dont twist this into a "hey i was just calling eli on a bad game." bc that IS NOT what happened... claiming we got duped, we should have never made the trade, eli will never win a sb, etc etc etc <u>is not "calling eli on a bad game</u>." granted, this happened so long ago that many will have revisionist history, but thats only bc eli ended up making those who stood behind him, werent ready to pull the plug, and didnt destroy him for the mistakes look really smart...lol "i was just calling eli on a bad game..." yeah maybe the past season or so, back when things werent defined, it was a majority who wanted eli gone or wished we never traded for him.</p>

Hold up though.* Those comments were made on a culmination of Eli's play for*his entire career.* The Vikings game was just the tipping point that caused the dam to burst so to speak.* Not to take your comment literally, but anyone who thought Eli was a great QB prior to 2007 was just crazy.* He was arguably average to above average.* People had every right to gripe about getting fleeced by San Diego in a trade.* At that point in their careers, Eli was clearly the inferior QB to Rivers.* It was the overwhelming opinion.* So any of those posts or view points were definitely valid - at that point in time.</p>

i know right. if only eli woulda just been smarter and completely developed after two seasons instead of making us wait season after season for different areas to improve. didnt eli know we expected peyton week 1? im sorry, saying we got fleeced, that the minn game was the tipping point, etc is the point i try to make so often...HE WAS TWO YEARS INTO BEING A STARTING QB and had led us to two playoff births. lmfao. to feel fleeced, or to believe you actually had enough evidence to make such claims is what deserves all the backlash in the world, bc if things had ended up the way those that felt that way wanted, we'd be without 2 sbs...</p>

I don't know why you're getting defensive.</p>

Rivers was tons better than Eli was the first few years in the NFL.* Eli LED us to the post season in his early years?* That's nonsense.* Eli was arguably average to above average.* </p>

From a fans perspective, yeah we're going to feel ripped off.</p>

lol...just bc i make a post that questions your stance doesnt mean i'm "defensive"...you say that non stop when i'd would say its actually the opposite.

and anyways, make whatever excuse you want for wanting to blow the thing up, run eli out of town, claim we got bamboozled with the trade, claimed eli would never be a sb qb, claimed eli would never touch ben or rivers, etc etc...you think i dont recognize eli struggled, a whole lot, early in his career? i watched the same games you did...i wasnt ready to quit on the kid tho bc i recognized something in him. if you didnt, well thats your perogative...but dont claim it was "just calling eli out for a bad game."

He didn't.* He said:* Those comments were made on a culmination of Eli's play for*his entire career.

And again, if you compare Eli (years ago) to Rivers and Ben then yes, the deal looked bad for us.* So to question the deal was really not out of line.

Look at the Jets and Sanchez.* He's going through something similar right now and his QB rating was higher than Eli's at the same point in Eli's career.** Plus, the kid took his team to 2 conference championships in 3 years.* So what does that tell you?* Maybe that NY is tough on QB's, or everyone likes picking on poor Eli?

I just got back from work. And I'm tired. And I couldn't have said it any better than what was just written.

gumby742
07-14-2012, 12:05 AM
What have I done!** [U]

This is your best thread ever.* [;)]
</P>

*</P>

[Y]</P>

way to start the beginning of the season jeep. keep it up. haha.

buddy33
07-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Does every thread have to turn into a debate about Eli?

gumby742
07-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Does every thread have to turn into a debate about Eli?

haha. I love it when jeep just trolls everyone. But this thread is pretty awesome.

buddy33
07-14-2012, 12:22 AM
This thread is on its way to 50 pages!

THE_New_York_Giants
07-14-2012, 02:30 AM
This thread is on its way to 50 pages!

thread of the year...

god damn do i miss giggles... :(

bigjeep
07-14-2012, 08:04 AM
What have I done! [U]

This is your best thread ever. [;)]
</P>

</P>

[:D]</P>

bigjeep
07-14-2012, 08:07 AM
THe first one to crack will be me if we lose to the redskins.
</P>

</P>

[:^)] Why? We lost to them twice last year and won the SB! [;)]</P>

Diamondring
07-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Some times people had the right to crack no matter what. Looked at how preseason ended. A lot of people were on Eli for his performance and one poster even talked about Eli having bad mechanics.

All of that was understandable and things started to look bad. Now our season was not that outstanding for the Giants to have a real bad record but it was close to being 8 and 8 or even 7 and 9.

Diamondring
07-14-2012, 12:34 PM
It will be interesting who will crack if BJ or MM start to show how good they are with their new team?

FBomb
07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
It will be interesting who will crack if BJ or MM start to show how good they are with their new team?</P>

Trouble maker!!</P>

Diamondring
07-14-2012, 01:05 PM
It will be interesting who will crack if BJ or MM start to show how good they are with their new team?</P>

Trouble maker!!</P>Teeheeheeheee. It would be interestintg and might come soon. I hope it does.

SEC105
07-14-2012, 01:55 PM
OK, since the SB win, our board has virtually been a love fest. One big happy family. But, if we get off to a slow start or no start at all, who will be the first fan here to crack and start trashing Eli and the team. We all know how frustrating losing is and its understandable we can lose our tempers on this board. So who will be the first to crack and how many games will it take? Yes, I expect the "you's" naturally.</P>

Jeepy......HOW COULD YOU???......it's a KNOW fact that some will NEVER "smell the roses"</P>

Till they are buried beneath them</P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>Hell of a way to gothrough life</FONT></P>

http://blog.nj.com/hobokennow_impact/2008/02/large_manning.jpg</P>

bigjeep
07-14-2012, 03:50 PM
OK, since the SB win, our board has virtually been a love fest. One big happy family. But, if we get off to a slow start or no start at all, who will be the first fan here to crack and start trashing Eli and the team. We all know how frustrating losing is and its understandable we can lose our tempers on this board. So who will be the first to crack and how many games will it take? Yes, I expect the "you's" naturally.</P>

Jeepy......HOW COULD YOU???......it's a KNOW fact that some will NEVER "smell the roses"</P>

** Till they are buried beneath them</P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>Hell of a way to go*through life</FONT></P>

How true, and I share the blame. I've always looked at Y.A. Tittle as the best Giants QB with Simms a runnerup. But my hats off to Eli now the BEST QB that the Giants ever had. Two SB come from behind wins puts him on top. Simms was good, but he had that great "D".

Roosevelt
07-14-2012, 11:16 PM
OK, since the SB win, our board has virtually been a love fest. One big happy family. But, if we get off to a slow start or no start at all, who will be the first fan here to crack and start trashing Eli and the team. We all know how frustrating losing is and its understandable we can lose our tempers on this board. So who will be the first to crack and how many games will it take? Yes, I expect the "you's" naturally.</p>

Jeepy......HOW COULD YOU???......it's a KNOW fact that some will NEVER "smell the roses"</p>

Till they are buried beneath them</p>

<font color="#ff0000">Hell of a way to gothrough life</font></p>

http://blog.nj.com/hobokennow_impact/2008/02/large_manning.jpg</p>

How true, and I share the blame. I've always looked at Y.A. Tittle as the best Giants QB with Simms a runnerup. But my hats off to Eli now the BEST QB that the Giants ever had. Two SB come from behind wins puts him on top. Simms was good, but he had that great "D".

I'm sorry but there's absolutely no way you can jump on the bandwagon now.

If you weren't a believer when Eli was in the womb, you cannot join in our celebration now.

Muuuuuauaahaaa Muuuuaaahaaaa.

SEC105
07-14-2012, 11:45 PM

If you weren't a believer when Eli was in the womb, you cannot join in our celebration now.

</P>

LOL Rosey................and yet can't help but think those who were not....."born in the womb Eli guys" will always consider "E" a</P>

http://www.eddecker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/eli-manning.jpg</P>

2Super Bowl wins 5 SB wins? Don't matter</P>

seriously though These are great days to be a Giant Fan whatever anyone's opinon is...wemay very wellbe looking at the first "homegrown"Giant QB to make the HOF in our lifetime</P>

oh and Jeepy great thread and I was just kidding with "how couldyou" </P>

bigjeep
07-15-2012, 07:57 AM

</P>

</P>

[:(]</P>

Diamondring
07-15-2012, 08:37 AM

How true, and I share the blame. I've always looked at Y.A. Tittle as the best Giants QB with Simms a runnerup. But my hats off to Eli now the BEST QB that the Giants ever had. Two SB come from behind wins puts him on top. Simms was good, but he had that great "D".But simms never had a good receiving core though.

bigjeep
07-15-2012, 09:41 AM

How true, and I share the blame. I've always looked at Y.A. Tittle as the best Giants QB with Simms a runnerup. But my hats off to Eli now the BEST QB that the Giants ever had. Two SB come from behind wins puts him on top. Simms was good, but he had that great "D".But simms never had a good receiving core though.

True, but Eli has two SB wins in his pocket, two MVP's and, barring Injuries, has years ahead of him to add more. Remember, after our second SB win in 1990, Simms lost his job to Hoss.

Morehead State
07-15-2012, 08:46 PM

True, but Eli has two SB wins in his pocket, two MVP's and, barring Injuries, has years ahead of him to add more. Remember, after our second SB win in 1990, Simms lost his job to Hoss.
22 of 25 for 268, 3 TD's, No picks.
And it was Ray Handley who took the job away. Need I say more?

bigjeep
07-15-2012, 09:12 PM

22 of 25 for 268, 3 TD's, No picks.
And it was Ray Handley who took the job away. Need I say more?

Nice, but no cigar!

yatitle
07-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah you can make the argument that Hoss had the far superior numbers from SB 25 on. Handley might have been incompetent, but he made the right decision at the time to start Hoss. Giants never beat 49ers or Bills if SImms was QB. Hoss made the 2 or 3 plays in each game that made the difference and allowed the Giants to beat 2 better talented teams.

Morehead State
07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah you can make the argument that Hoss had the far superior numbers from SB 25 on. Handley might have been incompetent, but he made the right decision at the time to start Hoss. Giants never beat 49ers or Bills if SImms was QB. Hoss made the 2 or 3 plays in each game that made the difference and allowed the Giants to beat 2 better talented teams.
Hoss was a very good backup QB. Phil was an all time great Giant. You have to be kidding me with this comparison.

bigjeep
07-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Hoss was a very good backup QB. Phil was an all time great Giant. You have to be kidding me with this comparison.

I don't know about all time great, but he was better then Hoss. You can't compare Simms to Eli on one good SB. Eli has to be ranked higher then Simms. And Simms had LT!

buddy33
07-16-2012, 08:46 AM
We are up to 19 pages and counting.

Diamondring
07-16-2012, 08:55 AM

I don't know about all time great, but he was better then Hoss. You can't compare Simms to Eli on one good SB. Eli has to be ranked higher then Simms. And Simms had LT!Eli had Strahan and T6uck then later on Osi JPP and Tuck. You can't forget that.

bigjeep
07-16-2012, 09:26 AM

I don't know about all time great, but he was better then Hoss. You can't compare Simms to Eli on one good SB. Eli has to be ranked higher then Simms. And Simms had LT!Eli had Strahan and T6uck then later on Osi JPP and Tuck. You can't forget that.

Bottom line, Simms defense was much better then todays defense. I can't see an argument there!

Diamondring
07-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Bottom line, Simms defense was much better then todays defense. I can't see an argument there!It really doesn't matter. Eli has more weapons than Simms. I doubt our defense crushed a lot of offenses and our defense back in the day was not always healthy.

Goarge Young and his staff weren't good at getting wrs. I think Simms was in a two back set most of the time wich was not made for passing but for ball control and heavy running later on in Simm's career.

I;m not taken anything away from Eli but did some posters said that the NFL is more of a friendly in passing the ball? Eli had three wrs and I mean three top big play receivers. Don't let MM fool you, he could be a 1,000 yard receiever and when he was on the team, it gave Eli more fire power. Simms only had Bavaro and he was mostly a third down receiver.

Morehead State
07-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Bottom line, Simms defense was much better then todays defense. I can't see an argument there!It really doesn't matter. Eli has more weapons than Simms. I doubt our defense crushed a lot of offenses and our defense back in the day was not always healthy.

Goarge Young and his staff weren't good at getting wrs. I think Simms was in a two back set most of the time wich was not made for passing but for ball control and heavy running later on in Simm's career.

I;m not taken anything away from Eli but did some posters said that the NFL is more of a friendly in passing the ball? Eli had three wrs and I mean three top big play receivers. Don't let MM fool you, he could be a 1,000 yard receiever and when he was on the team, it gave Eli more fire power. Simms only had Bavaro and he was mostly a third down receiver.
Simms was a great QB on a run first offense. His passing skills were tremendous. His willingness to hang in the pocket and take the hit in order to wait for a guy to break open was remarkable. Comparing Eli to Simms based on stats is silly.
Simms was the total package when it comes to playing QB in the NFL. And was highly respected among other NFL players for his character and toughness on the field. There is no point in arguing the Phil/Eli thing. We all have our fav's and thats fine with me.

buddy33
07-16-2012, 09:59 AM
It's a good thing when you can argue which Super Bowl winning QB was better for your team.

Diamondring
07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
It's a good thing when you can argue which Super Bowl winning QB was better for your team.Mny arguement is who had it better.

Morehead State
07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
It's a good thing when you can argue which Super Bowl winning QB was better for your team.Mny arguement is who had it better.
As far as who had the better opportunity to put up bigger passing numbers? Definately Eli. Who had the better chance to win? I'd also have to say Eli. Not so much because of the players around each player, but because of the league. When Phil was playing, there were some great football teams like SF, the Bears, Philly (don't kid yourself, those Randall Cunningham Eagles were outstanding).
Now the league has much more parody.

BurnerNYG
07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
It's a good thing my name didn't come up in this convo. I'm kind of disappointed actually.

bigjeep
07-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah you can make the argument that Hoss had the far superior numbers from SB 25 on. Handley might have been incompetent, but he made the right decision at the time to start Hoss. Giants never beat 49ers or Bills if SImms was QB. Hoss made the 2 or 3 plays in each game that made the difference and allowed the Giants to beat 2 better talented teams. Hoss was a very good backup QB. Phil was an all time great Giant. You have to be kidding me with this comparison. I don't know about all time great, but he was better then Hoss. You can't compare Simms to Eli on one good SB. Eli has to be ranked higher then Simms. And Simms had LT!Eli had Strahan and T6uck then later on Osi JPP and Tuck. You can't forget that. Bottom line, Simms defense was much better then todays defense. I can't see an argument there!It really doesn't matter. Eli has more weapons than Simms. I doubt our defense crushed a lot of offenses and our defense back in the day was not always healthy. Goarge Young and his staff weren't good at getting wrs. I think Simms was in a two back set most of the time wich was not made for passing but for ball control and heavy running later on in Simm's career. I;m not taken anything away from Eli but did some posters said that the NFL is more of a friendly in passing the ball? Eli had three wrs and I mean three top big play receivers. Don't let MM fool you, he could be a 1,000 yard receiever and when he was on the team, it gave Eli more fire power. Simms only had Bavaro and he was mostly a third down receiver. Simms was a great QB on a run first offense. His passing skills were tremendous. His willingness to hang in the pocket and take the hit in order to wait for a guy to break open was remarkable. Comparing Eli to Simms based on stats is silly. Simms was the total package when it comes to playing QB in the NFL. And was highly respected among other NFL players for his character and toughness on the field. There is no point in arguing the Phil/Eli thing. We all have our fav's and thats fine with me.</P>

Sounds like you are describing Eli! [:)] I've watched them all from<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: small/16px arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN class=Apple-converted-space></SPAN></SPAN><EM style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: bold small/16px arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Charlie Connery[/i] on. My favorite is Y.A. Tittle. But I think Eliis the best! Simms also has a place in my heart! [{]Simms[}]</P>

bigjeep
07-16-2012, 10:55 AM
It's a good thing when you can argue which Super Bowl winning QB was better for your team.</P>

Yes it is! [Y]</P>

Morehead State
07-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah you can make the argument that Hoss had the far superior numbers from SB 25 on. Handley might have been incompetent, but he made the right decision at the time to start Hoss. Giants never beat 49ers or Bills if SImms was QB. Hoss made the 2 or 3 plays in each game that made the difference and allowed the Giants to beat 2 better talented teams. Hoss was a very good backup QB. Phil was an all time great Giant. You have to be kidding me with this comparison. I don't know about all time great, but he was better then Hoss. You can't compare Simms to Eli on one good SB. Eli has to be ranked higher then Simms. And Simms had LT!Eli had Strahan and T6uck then later on Osi JPP and Tuck. You can't forget that. Bottom line, Simms defense was much better then todays defense. I can't see an argument there!It really doesn't matter. Eli has more weapons than Simms. I doubt our defense crushed a lot of offenses and our defense back in the day was not always healthy. Goarge Young and his staff weren't good at getting wrs. I think Simms was in a two back set most of the time wich was not made for passing but for ball control and heavy running later on in Simm's career. I;m not taken anything away from Eli but did some posters said that the NFL is more of a friendly in passing the ball? Eli had three wrs and I mean three top big play receivers. Don't let MM fool you, he could be a 1,000 yard receiever and when he was on the team, it gave Eli more fire power. Simms only had Bavaro and he was mostly a third down receiver. Simms was a great QB on a run first offense. His passing skills were tremendous. His willingness to hang in the pocket and take the hit in order to wait for a guy to break open was remarkable. Comparing Eli to Simms based on stats is silly. Simms was the total package when it comes to playing QB in the NFL. And was highly respected among other NFL players for his character and toughness on the field. There is no point in arguing the Phil/Eli thing. We all have our fav's and thats fine with me.</P>

Sounds like you are describing Eli! [:)] I've watched them all from<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: small/16px arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN class=Apple-converted-space></SPAN></SPAN><EM style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: bold small/16px arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Charlie Connery[/i] on. My favorite is Y.A. Tittle. But I think Eliis the best! Simms also has a place in my heart! [{]Simms[}]</P>
I still say that strictly looking at the player....the entire football player, I give the nod to Phil. There's no question that Eli will break all Phils records by a mile. But I think if you put a guy of Phil's ability on this team with these players, he would be hyper productive.

Diamondring
07-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Sounds like you are describing Eli! [:)]* I've watched them all from*<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: small/16px arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN class=Apple-converted-space>*</SPAN></SPAN><EM style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: bold small/16px arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Charlie Connery[/i] on. My favorite is Y.A. Tittle. But I think Eli*is the best! Simms also has a place in my heart! [{]Simms[}]</P>
I still say that strictly looking at the player....the entire football player, I give the nod to Phil. There's no question that Eli will break all Phils records by a mile. But I think if you put a guy of Phil's ability on this team with these players, he would be hyper productive.What you have said was no lie cause there were some commentators who said what if the 49ers would have picked Simms instead of Joe. They said Simms was accurate and had other traits. I also think the 49ers were interested in Simms?

Morehead State
07-16-2012, 12:00 PM

Sounds like you are describing Eli! [:)]* I've watched them all from*<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: small/16px arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN class=Apple-converted-space>*</SPAN></SPAN><EM style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: bold small/16px arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Charlie Connery[/i] on. My favorite is Y.A. Tittle. But I think Eli*is the best! Simms also has a place in my heart! [{]Simms[}]</P>
I still say that strictly looking at the player....the entire football player, I give the nod to Phil. There's no question that Eli will break all Phils records by a mile. But I think if you put a guy of Phil's ability on this team with these players, he would be hyper productive.What you have said was no lie cause there were some commentators who said what if the 49ers would have picked Simms instead of Joe. They said Simms was accurate and had other traits. I also think the 49ers were interested in Simms?
Bill Walsh thought Phil was the best QB in that draft and he coveted him. When the Giants drafted Phil at #7, (as I remember) the Niners traded out of the first round. They would have taken Phil.

jimsgints
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Giggles!
I remember him well. Who is the new giggles?

yatitle
07-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Bill Walsh thought Phil was the best QB in that draft and he coveted him. When the Giants drafted Phil at #7, (as I remember) the Niners traded out of the first round. They would have taken Phil.

Sorry to let facts get in the way of a good story, but the 49ers had no #1 pick in 1979 because they gave it up when they acquired OJ Simpson.

Roosevelt
07-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah you can make the argument that Hoss had the far superior numbers from SB 25 on. Handley might have been incompetent, but he made the right decision at the time to start Hoss. Giants never beat 49ers or Bills if SImms was QB. Hoss made the 2 or 3 plays in each game that made the difference and allowed the Giants to beat 2 better talented teams. Hoss was a very good backup QB. Phil was an all time great Giant. You have to be kidding me with this comparison. I don't know about all time great, but he was better then Hoss. You can't compare Simms to Eli on one good SB. Eli has to be ranked higher then Simms. And Simms had LT!Eli had Strahan and T6uck then later on Osi JPP and Tuck. You can't forget that. Bottom line, Simms defense was much better then todays defense. I can't see an argument there!It really doesn't matter. Eli has more weapons than Simms. I doubt our defense crushed a lot of offenses and our defense back in the day was not always healthy. Goarge Young and his staff weren't good at getting wrs. I think Simms was in a two back set most of the time wich was not made for passing but for ball control and heavy running later on in Simm's career. I;m not taken anything away from Eli but did some posters said that the NFL is more of a friendly in passing the ball? Eli had three wrs and I mean three top big play receivers. Don't let MM fool you, he could be a 1,000 yard receiever and when he was on the team, it gave Eli more fire power. Simms only had Bavaro and he was mostly a third down receiver. Simms was a great QB on a run first offense. His passing skills were tremendous. His willingness to hang in the pocket and take the hit in order to wait for a guy to break open was remarkable. Comparing Eli to Simms based on stats is silly. Simms was the total package when it comes to playing QB in the NFL. And was highly respected among other NFL players for his character and toughness on the field. There is no point in arguing the Phil/Eli thing. We all have our fav's and thats fine with me.</p>

Sounds like you are describing Eli! [:)] I've watched them all from<span style="widows: 2; text-transform: none; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-indent: 0px; display: inline ! important; font: small/16px arial,sans-serif; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; letter-spacing: normal; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); word-spacing: 0px;"><span class="Apple-converted-space"></span></span><em style="widows: 2; text-transform: none; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-indent: 0px; font: bold small/16px arial,sans-serif; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; letter-spacing: normal; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); word-spacing: 0px;">Charlie Connery[/i] on. My favorite is Y.A. Tittle. But I think Eliis the best! Simms also has a place in my heart! [{]Simms[}]</p>

Sorry to let facts get in the way of a good story, but the 49ers had no #1 pick in 1979 because they gave it up when they acquired OJ Simpson.

And your point is what exactly?

Walsh worked Phil out and wanted him. Walsh stated: "I left feeling Phil was our man, but it would soon become evident that
other teams were looking at Phil and he would most likely be drafted
before us."

Morehead State
07-16-2012, 03:38 PM

Well I said "as I remember". Point is that Walsh wanted to draft Phil, and would have picked him over Montana if he was available.

bigjeep
07-16-2012, 04:57 PM

Well I said "as I remember". Point is that Walsh wanted to draft Phil, and would have picked him over Montana if he was available.

So we could have gotten Joe Montana! I think we could have added another two SB's with Joe!

Roosevelt
07-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah you can make the argument that Hoss had the far superior numbers from SB 25 on. Handley might have been incompetent, but he made the right decision at the time to start Hoss. Giants never beat 49ers or Bills if SImms was QB. Hoss made the 2 or 3 plays in each game that made the difference and allowed the Giants to beat 2 better talented teams. Hoss was a very good backup QB. Phil was an all time great Giant. You have to be kidding me with this comparison. I don't know about all time great, but he was better then Hoss. You can't compare Simms to Eli on one good SB. Eli has to be ranked higher then Simms. And Simms had LT!Eli had Strahan and T6uck then later on Osi JPP and Tuck. You can't forget that. Bottom line, Simms defense was much better then todays defense. I can't see an argument there!It really doesn't matter. Eli has more weapons than Simms. I doubt our defense crushed a lot of offenses and our defense back in the day was not always healthy. Goarge Young and his staff weren't good at getting wrs. I think Simms was in a two back set most of the time wich was not made for passing but for ball control and heavy running later on in Simm's career. I;m not taken anything away from Eli but did some posters said that the NFL is more of a friendly in passing the ball? Eli had three wrs and I mean three top big play receivers. Don't let MM fool you, he could be a 1,000 yard receiever and when he was on the team, it gave Eli more fire power. Simms only had Bavaro and he was mostly a third down receiver. Simms was a great QB on a run first offense. His passing skills were tremendous. His willingness to hang in the pocket and take the hit in order to wait for a guy to break open was remarkable. Comparing Eli to Simms based on stats is silly. Simms was the total package when it comes to playing QB in the NFL. And was highly respected among other NFL players for his character and toughness on the field. There is no point in arguing the Phil/Eli thing. We all have our fav's and thats fine with me.</p>

Sounds like you are describing Eli! [:)] I've watched them all from<span style="widows: 2; text-transform: none; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-indent: 0px; display: inline ! important; font: small/16px arial,sans-serif; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; letter-spacing: normal; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); word-spacing: 0px;"><span class="Apple-converted-space"></span></span><em style="widows: 2; text-transform: none; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-indent: 0px; font: bold small/16px arial,sans-serif; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; letter-spacing: normal; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); word-spacing: 0px;">Charlie Connery[/i] on. My favorite is Y.A. Tittle. But I think Eliis the best! Simms also has a place in my heart! [{]Simms[}]</p>

So we could have gotten Joe Montana! I think we could have added another two SB's with Joe!

In all seriousness, do you think Joe Montana would have been as successful with the Giants as he was with the 49'ers? Walsh did in fact have Phil rated higher than Joe on his draft board.

gmen0820
07-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Any QB that Walsh felt possessed the significant tangibles (and intangibles since Walsh valued those, too) was on the fast track to success if they ended up in SF. Simms overall was an exceptional QB for NY, so imagine what he'd be had he been schooled in the intricacies of the WCO by the pioneer (well most renowned user) himself. Couple that with the fact that Walsh DID have Simms rated higher as a prospect than the legendary Montana, I think it is certainly plausible to believe that Simms could have been on another level out West.

yatitle
07-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Any QB that Walsh felt possessed the significant tangibles (and intangibles since Walsh valued those, too) was on the fast track to success if they ended up in SF. Simms overall was an exceptional QB for NY, so imagine what he'd be had he been schooled in the intricacies of the WCO by the pioneer (well most renowned user) himself. Couple that with the fact that Walsh DID have Simms rated higher as a prospect than the legendary Montana, I think it is certainly plausible to believe that Simms could have been on another level out West.

Walsh also loved Jack Thompson, "The Throwin Samoan" in the draft as well. Not comparing Jack Thompson to Simms (before Rosie gets his panties in an uproar) but Walsh was not perfect in his player evaluation.

Diamondring
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Walsh also loved Jack Thompson, "The Throwin Samoan" in the draft as well.* Not comparing Jack Thompson to Simms (before Rosie gets his panties in an uproar) but Walsh was not perfect in his player evaluation.
Well he was close cause Simms was the man for us.

Roosevelt
07-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Walsh also loved Jack Thompson, "The Throwin Samoan" in the draft as well. Not comparing Jack Thompson to Simms (before Rosie gets his panties in an uproar) but Walsh was not perfect in his player evaluation.

Yes, looking back at 1979, he didn't do too well with Montana or Dwight Clark for that matter.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lew5kkVrk71qasdemo1_500.gif

gmen0820
07-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Walsh also loved Jack Thompson, "The Throwin Samoan" in the draft as well.* Not comparing Jack Thompson to Simms (before Rosie gets his panties in an uproar) but Walsh was not perfect in his player evaluation.
Thompson also wasn't granted the opportunity to be tutored by arguably the greatest coach in NFL history. Had he been, who knows -- (hypothetically).

As much as I hate using hypotheticals, I think it can logically apply in this case. Bill Walsh loved Joe Montana, a prospect that teams were ultimately meh on. Walsh saw something he liked in Montana, and he hit a home run with a good eye for the ball, not a blindfolded piņata-like swing. Montana was far from the conventional QB prototype prospect, as a highly (or higher rated) touted prospect like a Thompson, or a Simms.

Now you can interpret that a number of ways. Walsh might not have seen the intangibles or other tangibles that he liked so much in Joe Montana and saw as a perfect fit for his system and perhaps, Walsh was just enamored with whatever every other talent evaluator in the league saw in those higher rated prospects. Or, maybe Walsh did see those skills he coveted in these prospects -- similar to the ones he saw in Joe Montana. Seeing these, Walsh could have felt that because these players possessed these prerequisites, Walsh could hone their skills as he so perfectly did with Montana. I don't know.

That's why I hate dealing with hypotheticals. It's whatever, judge it as you see fit. Ultimately, none of us will reach common ground if our views differ so much. My take is this: QBs who had an assurance from Walsh, and would have gone on to end up with Walsh, would be on the fast track to success. Simms seems like the perfect fit. Assurance from Walsh + success without Walsh = only the potential to be better with Walsh. One thing I feel we should all rationally agree on is that Walsh certainly wouldn't have been detrimental to Simms, especially with him being a prospect who Walsh was enamored with.

Diamondring
07-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Cracking FIRST can work both ways. You can look real foolish. "Oh you were saying that our season was done? Well you is one stupid fool for saying that. "

Or it can make you look know what you are talking about. "I told you after this game, our season would be in shambles. I told all of you so".

Yet if you did crack first and proven wrong, then that should be good for you cause your team did well.

ShakeNBake
07-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Cracking FIRST can work both ways. You can look real foolish. "Oh you were saying that our season was done? Well you is one stupid fool for saying that. "

Or it can make you look know what you are talking about. "I told you after this game, our season would be in shambles. I told all of you so".

Yet if you did crack first and proven wrong, then that should be good for you cause your team did well.

Its a win-win. If you're wrong hey, your team did good so that's ok. If you're right, you look like a genius.

bigjeep
07-16-2012, 09:17 PM

Its a win-win. If you're wrong hey, your team did good so that's ok. If you're right, you look like a genius.

My prediction this season is 0-16!

Cindy in INdy
07-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Glad nobody mentioned me cuz I am true blue

FBomb
07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Allow me to get the ball rolling again......ahem.......ALL Eli haters should be caged.......discuss.

bigjeep
07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Allow me to get the ball rolling again......ahem.......ALL Eli haters should be caged.......discuss.

First off, I don't like the new board. Second, as training camp starts, we also get closer to Giant fans here starting to get nervous from the news out of camp. My bets on Buddy to be the first to bash Eli on his first incompleted pass in practice!

Diamondring
07-23-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm glad I'm not a Eli Hater. Off with the Eli Haters' Heads.

Diamondring
07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Allow me to get the ball rolling again......ahem.......ALL Eli haters should be caged.......discuss.Yeah take off their heads.

gumby74
07-23-2012, 10:31 PM

Since I lost my post count and my user id since i forgot the email that i registered it under (lol), Eli sucks. He's a terrible QB. I'd rather have Rivers. We totally got the raw end of the deal.

How about them apples.

bigjeep
07-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Since I lost my post count and my user id since i forgot the email that i registered it under (lol), Eli sucks. He's a terrible QB. I'd rather have Rivers. We totally got the raw end of the deal.

How about them apples.

Tebow? Message to short? WTF And the "Emotions" suck!

gumby74
07-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Tebow? Message to short? WTF And the "Emotions" suck!

Hmmmmm need more smiley faces ....
:mad::p:o

bigjeep
07-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Just keeping this thread handy in case its needed!

poppa smurph
07-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Hmmm...last season, after the 5th game, a heartbreaking loss to the Seahawks, I started a thread about how ridiculous it was to say that the season was over, and can tell you the two posters that were the most adamant that the season was in fact over for the Gmen.

Buddy33
Daynemustgo

I say it's a pick 'em between those two

Who was the guy who used to start the gameday threads? Poppa Smurph? He was funny as hell. The second something went wrong in a game he'd fall to pieces and start ripping everyone on the team. lol.

yeah lol, completely jump ship after 1 qtr. haha knowing the giants seem to bloom later in games.Lol, i wish it was me...my threads die a swift painful death. I do remember a poster with a name close to mine, but spelled smurf.
Atleast I don't think it was me..

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Yo we're ****ing doomed

derekunion28
07-29-2012, 03:21 AM
giggles.....for the win .. GWAT close second in just staright up crazy

bigjeep
07-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Well, the Giants players haven't "cracked" yet!

Giants teammates love Eli — pranks and all

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/labor_of_love_Q7gi2DQJKr7huoLxomhwuN#ixzz220YYRTS9

bigjeep
08-11-2012, 08:07 AM
After the first pre-season game, cracks are starting to show already!

bigjeep
09-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Not sure who was first to give up on the season, there is so many! I heard the "cracking" sounds and I wasn't even on the board as I was watching the game. I must admit, I am also a little concerned!

Giantsin04
09-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Not sure who was first to give up on the season, there is so many! I heard the "cracking" sounds and I wasn't even on the board as I was watching the game. I must admit, I am also a little concerned!

I peaked at the board in the third quarter on my phone. A quick scan of the the thread titles revealed much cracking. It will definitely be tough to determine who was first.

bigjeep
09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I peaked at the board in the third quarter on my phone. A quick scan of the the thread titles revealed much cracking. It will definitely be tough to determine who was first.

Sounded to me like a 7.7 quake!

PRGiant
09-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm still browsing throught the wreckage lol

nycisgreat
09-06-2012, 05:24 PM
OK, since the SB win, our board has virtually been a love fest. One big happy family. But, if we get off to a slow start or no start at all, who will be the first fan here to crack and start trashing Eli and the team. We all know how frustrating losing is and its understandable we can lose our tempers on this board. So who will be the first to crack and how many games will it take? Yes, I expect the "you's" naturally.

Lol, that is a good question. I don't think fans will be that crazy this season as they were in previous years. But they are a few people on this board who are never happy even when we are winning Superbowls.

bigjeep
10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
The list of fans that have "cracked" is just to long to list here!

NYGabriel
10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I was a broken man last night.

bigjeep
10-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I was a broken man last night.

I couldn't believe we lost the game. I was stunned and was in denial!

jomo
10-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Was it my imagination or did we crash these boards last night about an hour after the end of the game? Maybe it was just my computer but I was clicking through to all kinds of web-sites except this one. I got error messages. Anyone have some scoop on that?

bigjeep
10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Was it my imagination or did we crash these boards last night about an hour after the end of the game? Maybe it was just my computer but I was clicking through to all kinds of web-sites except this one. I got error messages. Anyone have some scoop on that?

Couldn't say, I was to upset to come on sunday night! I waited until I had a nights sleep to cool me off!

Roswell777
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey, they're going to lose 6 games, give or take. The game in Philly and the one in SF are probably their two hardest...maybe the Raven game too. So two of the three will be done by game six. When (if?) Nicks comes back, they will be a different team. No need to pull a Kevorkian.

bigjeep
11-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I guess we all will crack now!