PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: WITHOUT LONGER-TERM CONTRACT, BREES WON'T REPORT TO TRAINING CAMP

RoanokeFan
07-10-2012, 09:25 PM
<font size="4"><font size="3">REPORT: WITHOUT LONGER-TERM CONTRACT, BREES WON'T REPORT TO TRAINING CAMP (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19554003/report-without-long-term-contract-drew-brees-wont-report-to-saints-training-camp)

"</font></font>If Drew Brees (/nfl/players/playerpage/235197/drew-brees) doesn't
get the long-term deal he and the Saints (/nfl/teams/page/NO/new-orleans-saints) have been haggling over,
one report says he won't sign his franchise tag and will not
report to New Orleans training camp.

According to ESPN's (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8153671/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-skip-training-camp-contract-sources-say) Chris Mortensen, the Saints have offered a contract to
Brees that would average $19.25 million per season, which would make him the
highest paid player in history (Peyton Manning's deal with the Broncos averages
$19.2 million per year).</p>

But Mortensen writes that Brees wants $20.5 million per year.</p>

Remember, the two sides have until Monday to strike a long-term deal before
Brees has to play under the $16.6 million franchise tag. But if that doesn't
happen and Brees actually holds out from training camp, there's no telling how
long he'll stay away from the team.</p>

A few weeks ago, Brees said he'd never sit out the season (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19425768/drew-brees-id-never-sit-out-the-season) because he loves the game too
much -- which, at the time, seemed to give away some of his leverage (I
personally thought it meant that the two sides were close enough to a new deal
that Brees saying that wouldn't make much of a difference).</p>

According to Saints Rapid Reporte (https://twitter.com/LHolderCBS/status/222791595219623938)r Larry Holder, the team hasn't heard from Brees'
agent, Tom Condon, since early June after the Saints offered the latest
contract.</p>

With so much money on the table for Brees, it's hard to fathom any NFL player
walking away from that kind of franchise-tag cash (thank goodness, though, that
Brees does have other employment options (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19446931/video-drew-brees-drives-a-cab-talks-concussions)).</p>

Unless Brees really believes in the principle of this stand-off. And if
that's the case, the Saints might have to choose between Chase Daniel, Luke McCown (/nfl/players/playerpage/493008/luke-mccown) or Sean Canfield (/nfl/players/playerpage/565146/sean-canfield) as the
2012 starting quarterback.</p>

Hey, at least they'd be cheap."

</p><font size="4"><font size="3">
</font></font>

RoanokeFan
07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
It's not enough to be the highest paid player ever? Greed is a terrible motivator.

THE_New_York_Giants
07-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Is there really a big difference in lifestyle change between $19.5 and $20.5 million dollars? a year. You can retire on 19.5 mil alone

ShakeNBake
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
The saints are in deep, they're going to have to cut like 4 starters at this point to be able to carry drew's new contract

NYG 5
07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
it would be hilarious if drew ends up walking, and then some journeyman comes off the street and puts up arena ball numbers with that team.

n420p69
07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Brees is no doubt one of the best QB's in the game but he is coming across as an ******* in these negotiations. Its hard to believe that one million dollars from 19.5 to 20.5 is the sticking point. I agree it would be nice to see someone else lead them to good numbers it would be even better if that joke franchise returns to its rightful place of crapiness.

GMENAGAIN
07-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Everyone has been ripping the Saints about the fact that Brees isn't signed yet, but the fact of the matter is that the Saints have offered him unbelievable money . . . . .

jomo
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I used to think that Brees was a great quarterback and a classy guy. Now I just think he's a great quarterback. These contract negotiations are only a part of it. I have watched him closely over the past couple of years and his continued self promotion (sometimes in subtle ways) is offensive to me. Running up the score on beaten oponents late in the 4th quarter just to pad his personal stats does not define class for me.</P>

He and the Saints are reaping what they have sowed. This is all good stuff happening to an otherwise top team in the NFC and part of our "killer schedule."</P>

buffyblue
07-11-2012, 11:13 AM
I used to think that Brees was a great quarterback and a classy guy. Now I just think he's a great quarterback. These contract negotiations are only a part of it. I have watched him closely over the past couple of years and his continued self promotion (sometimes in subtle ways) is offensive to me. Running up the score on beaten oponents late in the 4th quarter just to pad his personal stats does not define class for me.</P>

He and the Saints are reaping what they have sowed. This is all good stuff happening to an otherwise top team in the NFC and part of our "killer schedule."</P>

I couldn’t agree more with this. Drew Brees has always padded his stats as well as thrown folks under the bus. Heck, he made public statements about recievers not running the right routes and that was the reason for the missed pass, etc.....etc.......

Drew Brees is schmuck.

GMENAGAIN
07-11-2012, 11:53 AM

</P>

He's also supposed to be the team leader, but allegedly didn't know anything about the bounty program??? Poppy**** . . . . .</P>

RoanokeFan
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I used to think that Brees was a great quarterback and a classy guy. Now I just think he's a great quarterback. These contract negotiations are only a part of it. I have watched him closely over the past couple of years and his continued self promotion (sometimes in subtle ways) is offensive to me. Running up the score on beaten oponents late in the 4th quarter just to pad his personal stats does not define class for me.</p>

He and the Saints are reaping what they have sowed. This is all good stuff happening to an otherwise top team in the NFC and part of our "killer schedule."</p>

Well said!