PDA

View Full Version : Jernigan or Hosley

FearNYGiants
07-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Both Jerrell Jernigan and Jayron Hosley are 3rd rounders that could potentially have breakout season's not only on special teams in kickoff and punt returns respectively, but also in their respective positions on the Offense and Defense.

Which one do you think will have a better season on special team?

Which one will see the field more in their natural position?

AND

Who has the greater impact on the 2012 season as a whole?

miked1958
07-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Both Jerrell Jernigan and Jayron Hosley are 3rd rounders that could potentially have breakout season's not only on special teams in kickoff and punt returns respectively, but also in their respective positions on the Offense and Defense.

AND

Who has the greater impact on the 2012 season as a whole?Kind of hope it's JJ. We need someone to step up as the 3rd WR

XxBigWhitxX
07-10-2012, 09:29 PM

AND

Who has the greater impact on the 2012 season as a whole?Hosley is the next Brandon Flowers. Quote it and hold on to it.

BigBlue1971
07-10-2012, 09:30 PM
i think Jernigan will have the better chance of breaking out this season. with a years experience in the nfl i think that will favor him slightly.</P>

Hosley as a rookie has a lot to learn. based on that he will use this season learning the "ropes". i do believe he will make some plays for the G-Men!</P>

MikeIsaGiant
07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Jernigan, I think he knows what he needs to fix and what needs to be done and he'll have a better crack at it this year

FearNYGiants
07-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Jernigan, I think he knows what he needs to fix and what needs to be done and he'll have a better crack at it this year
That not only was he kept on the roster after that horrendous preseason, but that he was seeing return duties again in the post season I think is telling in just how much confidence the coaches had in his abilities at that point.

As far as receiver goes IMO he has to prove to coaching why he is good enough for Cruz to move to the outside when Cruz is at his best in the slot. I just can't see a 5' 8 guy having much success on the outside. So he definitely has an uphill battle on his hands.

buddy33
07-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I would have to lean towards experience even if it's only 1 seasons worth. However, we don't know if TT will be at full speed this year. Maybe they have to throw the rookie in sooner and more than they like and maybe he shines when given the opportunity.

Also, JJ has some good players ahead of him. Nicks and Cruz are a very good set of WR's and even though I said I'd go with experience, it seems as though Randle is the real deal.

FearNYGiants
07-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I would have to lean towards experience even if it's only 1 seasons worth. However, we don't know if TT will be at full speed this year. Maybe they have to throw the rookie in sooner and more than they like and maybe he shines when given the opportunity.

Also, JJ has some good players ahead of him. Nicks and Cruz are a very good set of WR's and even though I said I'd go with experience, it seems as though Randle is the real deal.
Randle is probably the biggest reason he won't see a role, however if we see Cruz and Jernigan both in the slot on some 4 sets that could potentially be a nightmare for defenses. If our O-line doesn't turn out to be as solid as we "hope", that might be the smarter way to go. I'd say that would be Jernigan's best shot at seeing any real time on the field short of Cruz going down. *knock on wood*

RagTime Blue
07-11-2012, 12:03 AM

AND

Who has the greater impact on the 2012 season as a whole?<font size="6">Hosley is the next Brandon Flowers</font>. Quote it and hold on to it.

I was thinking more like the next Kevin Dockery. . .which ain't that bad.

I see Hosley as a safer pick, with Jernigan having the higher ceiling.

gmen46
07-11-2012, 04:26 AM

Love your optimism, but what about his performance last season makes you think this? His zero receptions, or his dropped and bungled kick/punt returns?

His best opportunities as a rookie last year to justify his 3rd round draft status was to shine on kick and/or punt returns. He failed miserably.

We were a team desperate for a home run returner. There was no one in front of him standing in his way. And he did nothing. I see another Sinorace Moss. Good enough in practice to seduce coaches and FO to keep him, but little-to-nothing on the field. Next man up.......

Seducer
07-11-2012, 07:49 AM
I think Jernigan is going to have a crack at special teams and special teams only. Hosley will be 4th or 5th cb. Neither makes an impact.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
07-11-2012, 09:35 AM

Love your optimism, but what about his performance last season makes you think this? His zero receptions, or his dropped and bungled kick/punt returns?

His best opportunities as a rookie last year to justify his 3rd round draft status was to shine on kick and/or punt returns. He failed miserably.

We were a team desperate for a home run returner. There was no one in front of him standing in his way. And he did nothing. I see another Sinorace Moss. Good enough in practice to seduce coaches and FO to keep him, but little-to-nothing on the field. Next man up.......

Well if he's smart enough, and with Tom coughlin and co. at the helm, I believe his fundamentals need a little tweaking and he should be fine. He's definitely athletic as we've seen

nycsportzfan
07-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Jerrnigan came from a smaller college and needed the yr under his belt to get used to the speed of the NFL, and i think it'll show this season.. Jerrnigan is explosive and versatile, can line up all over the place, and if Gilbride wants to get creative, jerrnigan could be the guy for that job as well.. Hes been used in Wildcat and has thrown a couple passes as well in college.. I'd be surprised if Jerrnigan dosen't take a big step forward this season..

Joe Morrison
07-11-2012, 11:07 AM
I would have to lean towards experience even if it's only 1 seasons worth. However, we don't know if TT will be at full speed this year. Maybe they have to throw the rookie in sooner and more than they like and maybe he shines when given the opportunity. Also, JJ has some good players ahead of him. Nicks and Cruz are a very good set of WR's and even though I said I'd go with experience, it seems as though Randle is the real deal. Randle is probably the biggest reason he won't see a role, however if we see Cruz and Jernigan both in the slot on some 4 sets that could potentially be a nightmare for defenses. If our O-line doesn't turn out to be as solid as we "hope", that might be the smarter way to go. I'd say that would be Jernigan's best shot at seeing any real time on the field short of Cruz going down. *knock on wood*</P>

Jernigan showed zip last year so don't expect to see fear in anyones eyes when he comes in as the 4th reciever.</P>

RagTime Blue
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Jerrnigan came from a smaller college and needed the yr under his belt to get used to the speed of the NFL, and i think it'll show this season.. Jerrnigan is explosive and versatile, can line up all over the place, and if Gilbride wants to get creative, jerrnigan could be the guy for that job as well.. Hes been used in Wildcat and has thrown a couple passes as well in college.. I'd be surprised if Jerrnigan dosen't take a big step forward this season..

Very true. I don't see why people are so down on a rookie WR with a limited offseason.

Manningham didn't do much his first year either.

gmen46
07-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Jerrnigan came from a smaller college and needed the yr under his belt to get used to the speed of the NFL, and i think it'll show this season..* Jerrnigan is explosive and versatile, can line up all over the place, and if Gilbride wants to get creative, jerrnigan could be the guy for that job as well..* Hes been used in Wildcat and has thrown a couple passes as well in college..* I'd be surprised if Jerrnigan dosen't take a big step forward this season..

Very true.* I don't see why people are so down on a rookie WR with a limited offseason.*

Speaking for myself, I'm "down" on him because when he was drafted it was said by FO that one very large reason they valued Jernigan as high as they did was because of his return game in college.

Unlike the WR position, which admittedly requires major adjustment from college to NFL, a truly explosive returner--like quality RBs--do NOT require major adjustment to excel in the pros. They are either great, out of the gate, or they are not. It's debatable if JJ was even as good as average as a returner.

My distrust of Jernigan is not centered in what he did (ie, did not) do as a WR--because, as you imply, his lack of an off season and coming from a smaller school indicate he would need some time to adjust. But he did nothing to speak of in the return game, and his opportunity was there to impress (no one better was ahead of him, especially after Hixon went down in Week Two).

As such, the comparison to Manningham's first year is not really relevant, to my mind, since he was never EXPECTED--as JJ was--to be a primary returner, or for that to be a major part of his contribution.

At any rate, that's why I, for one, have very little expectation of Jernigan to have much impact his year. I have higher expectation of Hosley this year, and I haven't even seen any tape of him.

(By the way--not that YOU suggested this, but some in this thread have--if Gilbride were to substitute Jernigan for Cruz as slot receiver on occasion "just to see how he would do" in that position, and Cruz was healthy when he did it, then Gilbride should be fired for malpractice. The good news, however, is that KG is not that stupid and is not that self-destructive)

FearNYGiants
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Jerrnigan came from a smaller college and needed the yr under his belt to get used to the speed of the NFL, and i think it'll show this season..* Jerrnigan is explosive and versatile, can line up all over the place, and if Gilbride wants to get creative, jerrnigan could be the guy for that job as well..* Hes been used in Wildcat and has thrown a couple passes as well in college..* I'd be surprised if Jerrnigan dosen't take a big step forward this season..

Very true.* I don't see why people are so down on a rookie WR with a limited offseason.*

Speaking for myself, I'm "down" on him because when he was drafted it was said by FO that one very large reason they valued Jernigan as high as they did was because of his return game in college.

Unlike the WR position, which admittedly requires major adjustment from college to NFL, a truly explosive returner--like quality RBs--do NOT require major adjustment to excel in the pros. They are either great, out of the gate, or they are not. It's debatable if JJ was even as good as average as a returner.

My distrust of Jernigan is not centered in what he did (ie, did not) do as a WR--because, as you imply, his lack of an off season and coming from a smaller school indicate he would need some time to adjust. But he did nothing to speak of in the return game, and his opportunity was there to impress (no one better was ahead of him, especially after Hixon went down in Week Two).

As such, the comparison to Manningham's first year is not really relevant, to my mind, since he was never EXPECTED--as JJ was--to be a primary returner, or for that to be a major part of his contribution.

At any rate, that's why I, for one, have very little expectation of Jernigan to have much impact his year. I have higher expectation of Hosley this year, and I haven't even seen any tape of him.

(By the way--not that YOU suggested this, but some in this thread have--if Gilbride were to substitute Jernigan for Cruz as slot receiver on occasion "just to see how he would do" in that position, and Cruz was healthy when he did it, then Gilbride should be fired for malpractice. The good news, however, is that KG is not that stupid and is not that self-destructive)
While I didn't say that Jernigan will be put in the slot when Cruz is healthy, the closest anyone has come to saying that in this thread IS myself. What I actually said is that Jernigan HAS TO PROVE that his play in the slot is substantial enough to merit moving Cruz to the outside. I said following that, that he has an uphill battle trying to do so; meaning it is very unlikely. What Jernigan actually has to prove though is that he is better suited for the slot with Cruz on the outside than Rueben Randle is for the outside with Cruz in the slot, which from that perspective makes things more attainable for Jernigan as he doesn't have to necessarily beat out Cruz for the spot. Even if Cruz is better in the slot than Jernigan is in the slot, at the end of the day it is a team sport and if respectively Nicks,Jernigan, and Cruz is a better/more explosive trio than Nicks, Cruz, and Randle; Gilbride is going to go with whichever unit is more productive as a whole.
Not saying it will happen or it is even likely, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

gmen46
07-12-2012, 12:14 AM

While I didn't say that Jernigan will be put in the slot when Cruz is healthy, the closest anyone has come to saying that in this thread IS myself. What I actually said is that Jernigan HAS TO PROVE that his play in the slot is substantial enough to merit moving Cruz to the outside. I said following that, that he has an uphill battle trying to do so; meaning it is very unlikely. What Jernigan actually has to prove though is that he is better suited for the slot with Cruz on the outside than Rueben Randle is for the outside with Cruz in the slot, which from that perspective makes things more attainable for Jernigan as he doesn't have to necessarily beat out Cruz for the spot. Even if Cruz is better in the slot than Jernigan is in the slot, at the end of the day it is a team sport and if respectively Nicks,Jernigan, and Cruz is a better/more explosive trio than Nicks, Cruz, and Randle; Gilbride is going to go with whichever unit is more productive as a whole.
Not saying it will happen or it is even likely, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Of course KG will go with the most productive.

Of course nothing should be ruled out until proven one way or another. And of course all this depends upon the health of each WR as the season progresses.

And of course we haven't seen Randle as a pro yet.

However, assuming everyone healthy, and based upon what we did actually SEE last season--as opposed to perceived potential--and based upon the fact that slot is the most difficult, yet so crucial, receiving position to master, the likelihood of Jernigan replacing Cruz for more than a single play or two in 2012 ventures into the realm of "theoretical" more than snowball-chance-in-hell territory.

With the possible exception of Welker (only because he had over 120 receptions do I even mention Welker), Cruz not only admirably filled the slot position that Giants coaches feared was lost for the season when Smith left, he BLEW UP the league at that position.

My point is you don't **** with that production unless a long term injury forces you too.

Yes, Cruz can do some damage on the outside, but his REAL value is to do what he did last year from the slot, and let Nicks do what he do, and let the coach Gilbrides work Randle into the other outside receiver as quickly as possible.

Jernigan will in no way come close to replacing Cruz' 2011 production at slot. Hell, there are way too many fans on this board who doubt CRUZ will be able to replicate what Cruz did at slot.

And since Randle is supposedly (or so I thought) faster--and certainly taller--than Cruz, I don't see why anyone would PREFER Nicks/Jernigan/Cruz over Nicks/Cruz/Randle, as you seem to like.

FearNYGiants
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM

Of course KG will go with the most productive.

Of course nothing should be ruled out until proven one way or another. And of course all this depends upon the health of each WR as the season progresses.

And of course we haven't seen Randle as a pro yet.

However, assuming everyone healthy, and based upon what we did actually SEE last season--as opposed to perceived potential--and based upon the fact that slot is the most difficult, yet so crucial, receiving position to master, the likelihood of Jernigan replacing Cruz for more than a single play or two in 2012 ventures into the realm of "theoretical" more than snowball-chance-in-hell territory.

With the possible exception of Welker (only because he had over 120 receptions do I even mention Welker), Cruz not only admirably filled the slot position that Giants coaches feared was lost for the season when Smith left, he BLEW UP the league at that position.

My point is you don't **** with that production unless a long term injury forces you too.

Yes, Cruz can do some damage on the outside, but his REAL value is to do what he did last year from the slot, and let Nicks do what he do, and let the coach Gilbrides work Randle into the other outside receiver as quickly as possible.

Jernigan will in no way come close to replacing Cruz' 2011 production at slot. Hell, there are way too many fans on this board who doubt CRUZ will be able to replicate what Cruz did at slot.

And since Randle is supposedly (or so I thought) faster--and certainly taller--than Cruz, I don't see why anyone would PREFER Nicks/Jernigan/Cruz over Nicks/Cruz/Randle, as you seem to like.

Woah woah there, easy; again putting words in my mouth. Just because I said something is possible doesn't mean it is the way I want it. I'm much more curious about seeing what our 2nd rounder from this draft does than our 3rd rounder from the last one, and I wouldn't myself opt to put Cruz on the outside when he is virtually unstoppable in the slot. Make no mistake about it though in preseason we will see both aforementioned looks just to see, those are the games where KG is willing to take some risks and whichever look shows better results don't be surprised if it's the same look we see to start the season. Cruz really started to show everyone what he could do two preseasons ago, and before then barely anyone had any idea who he was. Jernigan was drafted for his field vision and ability to make guys miss. He has the same skill sets that make Cruz so dangerous after the catch. Really the biggest hindrance to Jernigan having any success or being able to capitalize at all in preseason is can Eli hit a 5'8 receiver on the money. Personally even if Jernigan did outperform Cruz in the slot, "IF" (a word you seem to overlook as will or likely or preferably)
I think Eli would still want Cruz in there for making his job easier, Cruz is such a good target while Eli is under pressure and he always seems to come up with the ball; Eli trying to hit Jernigan under pressure would just be beckoning for interceptions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jernigan's best hope is that KG uses some 4 receiver sets next season.

nycsportzfan
07-12-2012, 11:30 AM

Very true. I don't see why people are so down on a rookie WR with a limited offseason.

Speaking for myself, I'm "down" on him because when he was drafted it was said by FO that one very large reason they valued Jernigan as high as they did was because of his return game in college. Unlike the WR position, which admittedly requires major adjustment from college to NFL, a truly explosive returner--like quality RBs--do NOT require major adjustment to excel in the pros. They are either great, out of the gate, or they are not. It's debatable if JJ was even as good as average as a returner. My distrust of Jernigan is not centered in what he did (ie, did not) do as a WR--because, as you imply, his lack of an off season and coming from a smaller school indicate he would need some time to adjust. But he did nothing to speak of in the return game, and his opportunity was there to impress (no one better was ahead of him, especially after Hixon went down in Week Two). As such, the comparison to Manningham's first year is not really relevant, to my mind, since he was never EXPECTED--as JJ was--to be a primary returner, or for that to be a major part of his contribution. At any rate, that's why I, for one, have very little expectation of Jernigan to have much impact his year. I have higher expectation of Hosley this year, and I haven't even seen any tape of him. (By the way--not that YOU suggested this, but some in this thread have--if Gilbride were to substitute Jernigan for Cruz as slot receiver on occasion "just to see how he would do" in that position, and Cruz was healthy when he did it, then Gilbride should be fired for malpractice. The good news, however, is that KG is not that stupid and is not that self-destructive) Jerrnigan still could be a primary returner.. Its not like its over for the guy on that front... TIki didn't return one punt his rookie yr before taking over the reigns in his 2nd yr and then holding it down for 3yrs untill he was needed more at RB then it was worth playing him at both.. </P>

If jerrnigan ends up being a vitale weapon on offense at WR, for any extended amount of time, then he probably would slowley watch his punt return duties vanish because of his value to the WR positon.. u never draft a guy in the 3rd rd stickly becasue of his return capabilities.. Thats such a crap shoot and is so hard to tell how ur gonna do in the pro's at it.. Jerrnigan was drafted for his versatility yes, but not primarily as a return specialist.. His value is at WR and as a threat short and deep and guy u can line up every where and possilby run alittle trickery here and there..</P>

Amani Toomer didn't do anything his rookie yr, and neither did Tiki , and neither did Strahan, and Tuck, and even Eli to a degree...</P>

Its hard to make a splash when u got Cruz, Nicks, and Mario ahead of u.. And even if he dosen't return kicks at all in his entire career for some reason, he's still gonna be tried and brought along as a WR more impotantly...</P>

FearNYGiants
07-12-2012, 11:31 AM
One thing I will add though is wherever Cruz goes he will draw double coverage so that could not only give Jernigan big play opportunities, but the TEs as well.

Martellus could be the best TE we've had since before Boss "potentially", and that look would give him some big opportunities to capitalize as well.
So don't think there would be absolutely no positive results from moving Cruz to the outside whatsoever, and in games where Cruz is getting locked down anyways, why not give the teams another look.

EDIT: Also note worthy, you don't wait until a guy goes down to see what else you have. If Cruz were to get injured late in the season or in the post season (if/when we make it there), and Jernigan hasn't taken any snaps we would really be in trouble. If we're up by 3-4 TDs during the regular season don't think Cruz will still be playing in the slot.

nycsportzfan
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Speaking for myself, I'm "down" on him because when he was drafted it was said by FO that one very large reason they valued Jernigan as high as they did was because of his return game in college. Unlike the WR position, which admittedly requires major adjustment from college to NFL, a truly explosive returner--like quality RBs--do NOT require major adjustment to excel in the pros. They are either great, out of the gate, or they are not. It's debatable if JJ was even as good as average as a returner. My distrust of Jernigan is not centered in what he did (ie, did not) do as a WR--because, as you imply, his lack of an off season and coming from a smaller school indicate he would need some time to adjust. But he did nothing to speak of in the return game, and his opportunity was there to impress (no one better was ahead of him, especially after Hixon went down in Week Two). As such, the comparison to Manningham's first year is not really relevant, to my mind, since he was never EXPECTED--as JJ was--to be a primary returner, or for that to be a major part of his contribution. At any rate, that's why I, for one, have very little expectation of Jernigan to have much impact his year. I have higher expectation of Hosley this year, and I haven't even seen any tape of him. (By the way--not that YOU suggested this, but some in this thread have--if Gilbride were to substitute Jernigan for Cruz as slot receiver on occasion "just to see how he would do" in that position, and Cruz was healthy when he did it, then Gilbride should be fired for malpractice. The good news, however, is that KG is not that stupid and is not that self-destructive) While I didn't say that Jernigan will be put in the slot when Cruz is healthy, the closest anyone has come to saying that in this thread IS myself. What I actually said is that Jernigan HAS TO PROVE that his play in the slot is substantial enough to merit moving Cruz to the outside. I said following that, that he has an uphill battle trying to do so; meaning it is very unlikely. What Jernigan actually has to prove though is that he is better suited for the slot with Cruz on the outside than Rueben Randle is for the outside with Cruz in the slot, which from that perspective makes things more attainable for Jernigan as he doesn't have to necessarily beat out Cruz for the spot. Even if Cruz is better in the slot than Jernigan is in the slot, at the end of the day it is a team sport and if respectively Nicks,Jernigan, and Cruz is a better/more explosive trio than Nicks, Cruz, and Randle; Gilbride is going to go with whichever unit is more productive as a whole. Not saying it will happen or it is even likely, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Of course KG will go with the most productive. Of course nothing should be ruled out until proven one way or another. And of course all this depends upon the health of each WR as the season progresses. And of course we haven't seen Randle as a pro yet. However, assuming everyone healthy, and based upon what we did actually SEE last season--as opposed to perceived potential--and based upon the fact that slot is the most difficult, yet so crucial, receiving position to master, the likelihood of Jernigan replacing Cruz for more than a single play or two in 2012 ventures into the realm of "theoretical" more than snowball-chance-in-hell territory. With the possible exception of Welker (only because he had over 120 receptions do I even mention Welker), Cruz not only admirably filled the slot position that Giants coaches feared was lost for the season when Smith left, he BLEW UP the league at that position. My point is you don't **** with that production unless a long term injury forces you too. Yes, Cruz can do some damage on the outside, but his REAL value is to do what he did last year from the slot, and let Nicks do what he do, and let the coach Gilbrides work Randle into the other outside receiver as quickly as possible. Jernigan will in no way come close to replacing Cruz' 2011 production at slot. Hell, there are way too many fans on this board who doubt CRUZ will be able to replicate what Cruz did at slot. And since Randle is supposedly (or so I thought) faster--and certainly taller--than Cruz, I don't see why anyone would PREFER Nicks/Jernigan/Cruz over Nicks/Cruz/Randle, as you seem to like. If everyones healthy Jerrnigan is gonna be the guy that is left out or dosen't show enough? I expect him to beat out Rueben Randle, who has not expierence with a true pocket passing QB, and true pro style offense, and some question his ablity to sepreate at this level(nfl).. If anything, i could see Ramses Barden finally prooving his value or even Domenik Hixon.. I don't think Randle's gonna get alot of rep's this yr, to be honest.. Hes got alot more expierence and guys playing for there career in Bardens case, and to a lesser degree, Hixon and Jerrnigan.. I woulden't be overly shocked if Hixon comes outta the 3spot..</P>

Still all that said, i seen what jerrnigan can do, and fully expect the full yr under his belt to be the key in his progress from last yr to this yr... Watch out this pre-season when he gets the ball in his hands.. Last yr, he had that bad preseason and that seemed to put a sour taste in everyones mouth about him and probably hurt his confidence as a rookie a bit, but if hes any kinda man, hes ready to really show everyone what hes about this yr, and to show that last preseason was just rookie coming from small Sun Belt confrence nerves...</P>

nycsportzfan
07-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Jerrnigan went 7-10 43yrd 2td 0int passing in college, and ran for 6.8yrd avg with 5td, and caught 262passes 18td, and ran a kick back and punt back for a TD and scored a 2pt conversion.. Did well against big schools like Oklahoma st as well.. </P>

</P>

Bottom line is the kids got alot of skill, and can do a ton of diffrent things for u offensively.. It just takes a bit of time, going from Sun Belt to NFL.. Just ask Osi...</P>

Toadofsteel
07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Why are people so down on Jernigan, and then expect Barden to step it up? Jernigan was only drafted in 2011... he had to deal with the lockout year, like all the rookies in 2011, he would have a much steeper learning curve than rookies normally have (which is already considerable). Barden has had multiple years to learn the offense and has done jack with that opportunity. It's time for the Barden love train to stop.

Will Nicks-Jernigan-Cruz beat out Nicks-Cruz-Randle? Probably not. But there's not a chance that Jernigan gets cut and Barden stays on. If anything, I like having Jernigan just as sheer depth at the slot position. It will be nice to know that if (God forbid) something were to happen to Cruz, Jernigan could step up and handle the position without any major changes to the playbook and the only thing we'd have to worry about is whether Randle could then handle double teams or not...

C1010
07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Jernigan really started to come into his own. I think he may have a breakout season.

gmen46
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Speaking for myself, I'm "down" on him because when he was drafted it was said by FO that one very large reason they valued Jernigan as high as they did was because of his return game in college. Unlike the WR position, which admittedly requires major adjustment from college to NFL, a truly explosive returner--like quality RBs--do NOT require major adjustment to excel in the pros. They are either great, out of the gate, or they are not. It's debatable if JJ was even as good as average as a returner. My distrust of Jernigan is not centered in what he did (ie, did not) do as a WR--because, as you imply, his lack of an off season and coming from a smaller school indicate he would need some time to adjust. But he did nothing to speak of in the return game, and his opportunity was there to impress (no one better was ahead of him, especially after Hixon went down in Week Two). As such, the comparison to Manningham's first year is not really relevant, to my mind, since he was never EXPECTED--as JJ was--to be a primary returner, or for that to be a major part of his contribution. At any rate, that's why I, for one, have very little expectation of Jernigan to have much impact his year. I have higher expectation of Hosley this year, and I haven't even seen any tape of him. (By the way--not that YOU suggested this, but some in this thread have--if Gilbride were to substitute Jernigan for Cruz as slot receiver on occasion "just to see how he would do" in that position, and Cruz was healthy when he did it, then Gilbride should be fired for malpractice. The good news, however, is that KG is not that stupid and is not that self-destructive) Jerrnigan still could be a primary returner.. Its not like its over for the guy on that front... TIki didn't return one punt his rookie yr before taking over the reigns in his 2nd yr and then holding it down for 3yrs untill he was needed more at RB then it was worth playing him at both.. </P>

If jerrnigan ends up being a vitale weapon on offense at WR, for any extended amount of time, then he probably would slowley watch his punt return duties vanish because of his value to the WR positon.. u never draft a guy in the 3rd rd stickly becasue of his return capabilities.. Thats such a crap shoot and* is so hard to tell how ur gonna do in the pro's at it..* Jerrnigan was drafted for his versatility yes, but not primarily as a return specialist.. His value is at WR and as a threat short and deep and guy u can line up every where and possilby run alittle trickery here and there..</P>

Amani Toomer didn't do anything his rookie yr, and neither did Tiki , and neither did Strahan, and Tuck, and* even Eli to a degree...</P>

Its hard to make a splash when u got Cruz, Nicks, and Mario ahead of u.. And even if he dosen't return kicks at all in his entire career for some reason, he's still gonna be tried and brought along as a WR more impotantly...</P>

I didn't say Jernigan was drafted primarily for his return skills.

I already conceded that Jernigan needed more than his rookie year to adjust to WR in the pros.

But if you don't think Coughlin, Reese, etc. expected him to do SOMETHING on special teams--in his case, returns, given his skills and size--then you've not been paying attention the last 8 years. ALL Giants rookies are expected to do something on special teams.

My point is not that Jernigan has zero "potential". It's that after his rookie year he revealed no ACTUAL NFL ability. No receptions and unimpressive in returns.

FYI, comparing a WR rookie year to the rookie year of DEs and QBs is really beside the point.

Also FYI, Toomer scored TWO TDs as a returner his rookie year, in only 18 attempts, including an 87 yarder. Kinda my point, isn't it?

DelawareGiants
07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Knowing TC and crew- the rookies don't get too many opportunities but if this kid Hosley holds onto the ball in preseason and gets us some nice run backs on either punt or kickoff- he may be given an opportunity to shine. JJ needs to take the next step and provide that breakaway speed for our 3rd receiver spot.

Shockeystays08
07-12-2012, 04:26 PM
I think JJ will strut his stuff right off the bat. Holsey maybe after a while. It's good to see the Jernigan hater numbers declining. Most knowledgable Giants fans realize his potential and ability. The minority who still talk about his punt return troubles early on and his no catches and his size will come around by game 2 or 3 and realize they were wrong. Carolinas Steve Smith is the same size as JJ I believe? Randle may get some reps if Hicks return is slowed but with Hicks and Cruz healthy JJ 's production will limit Randles time on the field. IMHO

B&RWarrior
07-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I think JJ will strut his stuff right off the bat. Holsey maybe after a while. It's good to see the Jernigan hater numbers declining. Most knowledgable Giants fans realize his potential and ability. The minority who still talk about his punt return troubles early on and his no catches and his size will come around by game 2 or 3 and realize they were wrong. Carolinas Steve Smith is the same size as JJ I believe? Randle may get some reps if Hicks return is slowed but with Hicks and Cruz healthy JJ 's production will limit Randles time on the field. IMHO

JJ has yet to show anything on special teams. He has not secured any role on this team as of yet, not on special teams or as a part of the WR core.

Rookie WR's take a while to develop on average. Randle may make the jump, but I look for Barden to make a push for the 3rd WR above JJ and Randle.

Joe Morrison
07-12-2012, 08:36 PM
I think JJ will strut his stuff right off the bat. Holsey maybe after a while. It's good to see the Jernigan hater numbers declining. Most knowledgable Giants fans realize his potential and ability. The minority who still talk about his punt return troubles early on and his no catches and his size will come around by game 2 or 3 and realize they were wrong. Carolinas Steve Smith is the same size as JJ I believe? Randle may get some reps if Hicks return is slowed but with Hicks and Cruz healthy JJ 's production will limit Randles time on the field. IMHO JJ has yet to show anything on special teams. He has not secured any role on this team as of yet, not on special teams or as a part of the WR core. Rookie WR's take a while to develop on average. Randle may make the jump, but I look for Barden to make a push for the 3rd WR above JJ and Randle.</P>

I could see that happening, has had time to learn the system and has had some flashes in his limited appearances.</P>

giantyankee1976
07-12-2012, 08:36 PM
JJ gets my vote

miked1958
07-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Not a whole lot of jayron talk in this thread. The kid could be very special. Did anyone catch the Sports Science video done about him. It was posted in another thread with a link. Kid looks great..

Also I guess I wasn't paying attention to where our draft picks came from. Didn't realize him and Wilson were teammates at VT

nycsportzfan
07-13-2012, 08:04 AM

If jerrnigan ends up being a vitale weapon on offense at WR, for any extended amount of time, then he probably would slowley watch his punt return duties vanish because of his value to the WR positon.. u never draft a guy in the 3rd rd stickly becasue of his return capabilities.. Thats such a crap shoot and is so hard to tell how ur gonna do in the pro's at it.. Jerrnigan was drafted for his versatility yes, but not primarily as a return specialist.. His value is at WR and as a threat short and deep and guy u can line up every where and possilby run alittle trickery here and there..</P>

Amani Toomer didn't do anything his rookie yr, and neither did Tiki , and neither did Strahan, and Tuck, and even Eli to a degree...</P>

I didn't say Jernigan was drafted primarily for his return skills. I already conceded that Jernigan needed more than his rookie year to adjust to WR in the pros. But if you don't think Coughlin, Reese, etc. expected him to do SOMETHING on special teams--in his case, returns, given his skills and size--then you've not been paying attention the last 8 years. ALL Giants rookies are expected to do something on special teams. My point is not that Jernigan has zero "potential". It's that after his rookie year he revealed no ACTUAL NFL ability. No receptions and unimpressive in returns. FYI, comparing a WR rookie year to the rookie year of DEs and QBs is really beside the point. Also FYI, Toomer scored TWO TDs as a returner his rookie year, in only 18 attempts, including an 87 yarder. Kinda my point, isn't it? All giants rookies are expected to do something on ST's, u say, right? Well, how many GIANTS rookies end up being primary Return men for there rookie seasons? Thats pretty much what ur gonna get out Jerrell on St's.. Hes to small to be a gunner..Another words, its not ur usual "rookie that must perform on ST's".. The kids a returner, which as i said before, is kinda crap shoot when u come into the pros.. No one knows how these kids will translate there return skills into the pros... If Jerrnigan played LB or something, then i'd possibly buy into him not playing on ST's, but the fact he is only 5ft 8in 180-190lbs, i really don't worry to much about it.. Hes either gonna be a returner/WR, or a WR... Thats what ur gonna get outta the kid.. Obviously he could also help in the Trickery dept as well on offense if Gilbride wants to get creative.. Do u remember little Sinorice Moss? Did he help on ST's? No, because he didn't have much of a return game, and there was really no other way he was gonna help on ST's.. Now, if Moss was a better WR, he'd of still been here, no questions asked.. he got his chances.. </P>

Jerrnigans here to catch footballs, possilby be part of some trickery, and maybe a return man.. Thats pretty much it.. Now if hes not a return man, u can bet there not gonna just give up on em.. hes gonna get his chance at WR, and i believe will make a impact.. I'm also not saying he won't be a good return man, because that is certainly in the cards as well. I'm just saying thats not the major factor of why hes here at all...</P>

JesseJames
07-13-2012, 09:48 AM
IMO Jernigan with one year in the pros has as much to prove as the rookie Hosley does since he showed showed zero his first year in the pros..

gmen46
07-13-2012, 06:30 PM

If jerrnigan ends up being a vitale weapon on offense at WR, for any extended amount of time, then he probably would slowley watch his punt return duties vanish because of his value to the WR positon.. u never draft a guy in the 3rd rd stickly becasue of his return capabilities.. Thats such a crap shoot and* is so hard to tell how ur gonna do in the pro's at it..* Jerrnigan was drafted for his versatility yes, but not primarily as a return specialist.. His value is at WR and as a threat short and deep and guy u can line up every where and possilby run alittle trickery here and there..</P>

Amani Toomer didn't do anything his rookie yr, and neither did Tiki , and neither did Strahan, and Tuck, and* even Eli to a degree...</P>

I didn't say Jernigan was drafted primarily for his return skills. I already conceded that Jernigan needed more than his rookie year to adjust to WR in the pros. But if you don't think Coughlin, Reese, etc. expected him to do SOMETHING on special teams--in his case, returns, given his skills and size--then you've not been paying attention the last 8 years. ALL Giants rookies are expected to do something on special teams. My point is not that Jernigan has zero "potential". It's that after his rookie year he revealed no ACTUAL NFL ability. No receptions and unimpressive in returns. FYI, comparing a WR rookie year to the rookie year of DEs and QBs is really beside the point. Also FYI, Toomer scored TWO TDs as a returner his rookie year, in only 18 attempts, including an 87 yarder. Kinda my point, isn't it?* All giants rookies are expected to do something on ST's, u say, right?* Well, how many GIANTS rookies end up being primary Return men for there rookie seasons? Thats pretty much what ur gonna get out Jerrell on St's..* Hes to small to be a gunner..**Another words, its not ur usual "rookie that must perform on ST's"..* The kids a returner, which as i said before, is kinda* crap shoot when u come into the pros.. No one knows how these kids will translate there return skills into the pros... If Jerrnigan played LB or something, then i'd possibly buy into him not playing on ST's, but the fact he is only 5ft 8in 180-190lbs, i really don't worry to much about it.. Hes either gonna be a returner/WR, or a WR...* Thats what ur gonna get outta the kid..* Obviously he could also help in the Trickery dept as well on offense if Gilbride wants to get creative..* Do u remember little Sinorice Moss?* Did he help on ST's?* No, because he didn't have much of a return game, and there was really no other way he was gonna help on ST's.. Now, if Moss was* a better WR, he'd of still been here, no questions asked.. he got his chances.. </P>

Jerrnigans here to catch footballs, possilby be part of some trickery, and maybe a return man.. Thats pretty much it.. Now if hes not a return man, u can bet there not gonna just give up on em.. hes gonna get his chance at WR, and i believe will make a impact..* I'm also not saying he won't be a good return man, because that is certainly in the cards as well. I'm just saying thats not the major factor of why hes here at all...</P>

I don't know what you're arguing about here.

You're saying pretty much what I'm saying about expectations of Jernigan.

The only difference between our comments about him seems to be our respective expectations of him for 2012.

You apparently think that in spite of his non-performance as a rookie (and with no serious injury to excuse him) that he will be this break out player in 2012.

I don't.

In fact, it's interesting you refer to Moss, because that's EXACTLY who I compare Jernigan to. Except I don't think Giants will give him the entire 4 years to prove himself, as they did with Moss.

FearNYGiants
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM

I didn't say Jernigan was drafted primarily for his return skills. I already conceded that Jernigan needed more than his rookie year to adjust to WR in the pros. But if you don't think Coughlin, Reese, etc. expected him to do SOMETHING on special teams--in his case, returns, given his skills and size--then you've not been paying attention the last 8 years. ALL Giants rookies are expected to do something on special teams. My point is not that Jernigan has zero "potential". It's that after his rookie year he revealed no ACTUAL NFL ability. No receptions and unimpressive in returns. FYI, comparing a WR rookie year to the rookie year of DEs and QBs is really beside the point. Also FYI, Toomer scored TWO TDs as a returner his rookie year, in only 18 attempts, including an 87 yarder. Kinda my point, isn't it?* All giants rookies are expected to do something on ST's, u say, right?* Well, how many GIANTS rookies end up being primary Return men for there rookie seasons? Thats pretty much what ur gonna get out Jerrell on St's..* Hes to small to be a gunner..**Another words, its not ur usual "rookie that must perform on ST's"..* The kids a returner, which as i said before, is kinda* crap shoot when u come into the pros.. No one knows how these kids will translate there return skills into the pros... If Jerrnigan played LB or something, then i'd possibly buy into him not playing on ST's, but the fact he is only 5ft 8in 180-190lbs, i really don't worry to much about it.. Hes either gonna be a returner/WR, or a WR...* Thats what ur gonna get outta the kid..* Obviously he could also help in the Trickery dept as well on offense if Gilbride wants to get creative..* Do u remember little Sinorice Moss?* Did he help on ST's?* No, because he didn't have much of a return game, and there was really no other way he was gonna help on ST's.. Now, if Moss was* a better WR, he'd of still been here, no questions asked.. he got his chances.. </P>

Jerrnigans here to catch footballs, possilby be part of some trickery, and maybe a return man.. Thats pretty much it.. Now if hes not a return man, u can bet there not gonna just give up on em.. hes gonna get his chance at WR, and i believe will make a impact..* I'm also not saying he won't be a good return man, because that is certainly in the cards as well. I'm just saying thats not the major factor of why hes here at all...</P>

The only difference between our comments about him seems to be our respective expectations of him for 2012.

You apparently think that in spite of his non-performance as a rookie (and with no serious injury to excuse him) that he will be this break out player in 2012.

I don't.

In fact, it's interesting you refer to Moss, because that's EXACTLY who I compare Jernigan to. Except I don't think Giants will give him the entire 4 years to prove himself, as they did with Moss.
Considering they had enough confidence to put Jernigan in for kickoff returns in the post season and maybe even in the SuperBowl, I'd say during practices and what not he must have renewed Coughlin's and Quinn's confidence in him in that position. He did a decent job too, he didn't blow me away, but I believe he got to the 25 once or twice, but he wasn't back there on every return; no muffed kick off returns though that's the most important thing.
I think they really see something special in him in practices, and soon I think we will too.
After next preseason, I bet nobody will be saying anything negative about having him back there for kickoff returning duties.

Just for the record, this is coming from someone who was saying to himself "What are you doing?" when I saw Jernigan back there in games that critical. At the same time though I figured he must not have muffed a single one in practices and on top of that he also must have had some pretty stellar returns.

gmen46
07-13-2012, 09:48 PM

I don't.

Considering they had enough confidence to put Jernigan in for kickoff returns in the post season and maybe even in the SuperBowl, I'd say during practices and what not he must have renewed Coughlin's and Quinn's confidence in him in that position. He did a decent job too, he didn't blow me away, but I believe he got to the 25 once or twice, but he wasn't back there on every return; no muffed kick off returns though that's the most important thing.
I think they really see something special in him in practices, and soon I think we will too.
After next preseason, I bet nobody will be saying anything negative about having him back there for kickoff returning duties.

Just for the record, this is coming from someone who was saying to himself "What are you doing?" when I saw Jernigan back there in games that critical. At the same time though I figured he must not have muffed a single one in practices and on top of that he also must have had some pretty stellar returns.

Fair enough.

It's just that it seems every season there is the occasional Giants player who fits that description--coaches seeing something special in practices--like DJ Ware, Sinorice Moss, Travis Beckum , Ramses Barden, for example, but who never seem to convert what the coaches see in practice into actual games. For whatever reasons.

I certainly hope I'm wrong. We sure could use a returner with home run capability, and we need all the explosive WRs we can get.

I just believe that if Jernigan truly had something, we would have seen it at least ONCE last year, you know? Just once would have been reassuring.

I mean, D'Relle Scott showed us a couple "somethings" last pre season to keep us interested at least. Even if Scott never shows us anything like it again, we will be not only willing to wait patiently--for a while--for him to show us again, we will EAGERLY anticipate the time when he will explode again. At least for this upcoming season.

Jernigan didn't even show that. Not ONE play to tease us, even.

I'm just not holding my breath for JJ to "break out". is all.

nycsportzfan
07-13-2012, 10:35 PM

I didn't say Jernigan was drafted primarily for his return skills. I already conceded that Jernigan needed more than his rookie year to adjust to WR in the pros. But if you don't think Coughlin, Reese, etc. expected him to do SOMETHING on special teams--in his case, returns, given his skills and size--then you've not been paying attention the last 8 years. ALL Giants rookies are expected to do something on special teams. My point is not that Jernigan has zero "potential". It's that after his rookie year he revealed no ACTUAL NFL ability. No receptions and unimpressive in returns. FYI, comparing a WR rookie year to the rookie year of DEs and QBs is really beside the point. Also FYI, Toomer scored TWO TDs as a returner his rookie year, in only 18 attempts, including an 87 yarder. Kinda my point, isn't it? All giants rookies are expected to do something on ST's, u say, right? Well, how many GIANTS rookies end up being primary Return men for there rookie seasons? Thats pretty much what ur gonna get out Jerrell on St's.. Hes to small to be a gunner..Another words, its not ur usual "rookie that must perform on ST's".. The kids a returner, which as i said before, is kinda crap shoot when u come into the pros.. No one knows how these kids will translate there return skills into the pros... If Jerrnigan played LB or something, then i'd possibly buy into him not playing on ST's, but the fact he is only 5ft 8in 180-190lbs, i really don't worry to much about it.. Hes either gonna be a returner/WR, or a WR... Thats what ur gonna get outta the kid.. Obviously he could also help in the Trickery dept as well on offense if Gilbride wants to get creative.. Do u remember little Sinorice Moss? Did he help on ST's? No, because he didn't have much of a return game, and there was really no other way he was gonna help on ST's.. Now, if Moss was a better WR, he'd of still been here, no questions asked.. he got his chances.. </P>

Jerrnigans here to catch footballs, possilby be part of some trickery, and maybe a return man.. Thats pretty much it.. Now if hes not a return man, u can bet there not gonna just give up on em.. hes gonna get his chance at WR, and i believe will make a impact.. I'm also not saying he won't be a good return man, because that is certainly in the cards as well. I'm just saying thats not the major factor of why hes here at all...</P> I don't know what you're arguing about here. You're saying pretty much what I'm saying about expectations of Jernigan. The only difference between our comments about him seems to be our respective expectations of him for 2012. You apparently think that in spite of his non-performance as a rookie (and with no serious injury to excuse him) that he will be this break out player in 2012. I don't. In fact, it's interesting you refer to Moss, because that's EXACTLY who I compare Jernigan to. Except I don't think Giants will give him the entire 4 years to prove himself, as they did with Moss. Its nothing like moss, becasue the Giants are stacked at the WR positon.. its not even just Nicks and Cruz and Mario, but also he had Barden ahead of him as well.. Now being in yr 2, and another yr with barden not doing much, he has a much better shot at getting the call over him, and being next in line if he shows something in practice or preaseason or both.. Jerrnigan gets a total "BYE" from me, as there is to much depth ahead of him and coming from a small school.. I expect the yr under his belt to be huge.. All its gonna take is seeing him with the ball in his hands a couple times this preseason, and i bet people will be drewling..

gmen46
07-14-2012, 04:49 AM

Jerrnigans here to catch footballs, possilby be part of some trickery, and maybe a return man.. Thats pretty much it.. Now if hes not a return man, u can bet there not gonna just give up on em.. hes gonna get his chance at WR, and i believe will make a impact..* I'm also not saying he won't be a good return man, because that is certainly in the cards as well. I'm just saying thats not the major factor of why hes here at all...</P> I don't know what you're arguing about here. You're saying pretty much what I'm saying about expectations of Jernigan. The only difference between our comments about him seems to be our respective expectations of him for 2012. You apparently think that in spite of his non-performance as a rookie (and with no serious injury to excuse him) that he will be this break out player in 2012. I don't. In fact, it's interesting you refer to Moss, because that's EXACTLY who I compare Jernigan to. Except I don't think Giants will give him the entire 4 years to prove himself, as they did with Moss. Its nothing like moss, becasue the Giants are stacked at the WR positon.. its not even just Nicks and Cruz and Mario, but also he had* Barden ahead of him as well.. Now being in yr 2, and another yr with barden not doing much, he has a much better shot at getting the call over him, and being next in line if he shows something in practice or preaseason or both..* Jerrnigan gets a total "BYE" from me, as there is to much depth ahead of him and coming from a small school..* I expect the yr under his belt to be huge.. All its gonna take is seeing him with the ball in his hands a couple times* this preseason, and i bet people will be drewling..

Could be.

On the other hand, when Randle does more than Jernigan THIS year, what will the excuse for Jernigan be?

nycsportzfan
07-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Jerrnigans here to catch footballs, possilby be part of some trickery, and maybe a return man.. Thats pretty much it.. Now if hes not a return man, u can bet there not gonna just give up on em.. hes gonna get his chance at WR, and i believe will make a impact.. I'm also not saying he won't be a good return man, because that is certainly in the cards as well. I'm just saying thats not the major factor of why hes here at all...</P> I don't know what you're arguing about here. You're saying pretty much what I'm saying about expectations of Jernigan. The only difference between our comments about him seems to be our respective expectations of him for 2012. You apparently think that in spite of his non-performance as a rookie (and with no serious injury to excuse him) that he will be this break out player in 2012. I don't. In fact, it's interesting you refer to Moss, because that's EXACTLY who I compare Jernigan to. Except I don't think Giants will give him the entire 4 years to prove himself, as they did with Moss. Its nothing like moss, becasue the Giants are stacked at the WR positon.. its not even just Nicks and Cruz and Mario, but also he had Barden ahead of him as well.. Now being in yr 2, and another yr with barden not doing much, he has a much better shot at getting the call over him, and being next in line if he shows something in practice or preaseason or both.. Jerrnigan gets a total "BYE" from me, as there is to much depth ahead of him and coming from a small school.. I expect the yr under his belt to be huge.. All its gonna take is seeing him with the ball in his hands a couple times this preseason, and i bet people will be drewling.. Could be. On the other hand, when Randle does more than Jernigan THIS year, what will the excuse for Jernigan be? Well, Randle is a 2nd rder, and Jerrnigan was a 3rd rder, so there is that.. I will say that Randle is more of a "outside" WR, and jerrnigan more of a slot guy who can line up out wide, but is probably gonna do more damage inside... So, it all really depends on the play calling and what kinda WR's we need on the field.. Randle is the kinda guy(if he is a hit), thats skills kinda remind me of a WR that sees the field alot, and Jerrnigan is kinda a "secret weapon" if u will.lol A guy who brings a many diffrent things to the table.. Hes kinda a mixture of Percy harvin/ Danny Woodhead type.. He can run the ball, catch it outta multiple positons, return the ball, go short, go deep, throw the ball..etc

Diamondring
07-14-2012, 08:20 AM
The Jern.

I like his speed and his shiftyness. I think he was hurt but nobody knew about it.

slipknottin
07-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Jernigan is not too small to be a gunner.

Tyron was a gunner for awhile last year, and hes about the same size

lawl
07-14-2012, 12:07 PM
i don't like small players