PDA

View Full Version : By Position, who is the best

rebelfan1966
07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Ok, I'm bored..... so here is something to kill some time. Byposition, who is the best player in Giants History.</P>

QB-</P>

RB-</P>

FB-</P>

WR-</P>

TE-</P>

OT-</P>

OG-</P>

C-</P>

DE-</P>

LB-</P>

DT-</P>

DG-</P>

S-</P>

CB-</P>

</P>

fansince69
07-12-2012, 02:24 PM
qb... I'll still say Simms but am not starting this argument cause Manning is slowly passing him and arguments can be made both ways....so can we please not start a Simms Eli debate...it just is not worth it.....BTW this means I actually saw them BOTH playS(if you did not see Simms...I do not care what you think you know)......I dont care about the numbers(2 different offensive styles)....I gave my opinion and I really do not care about the arguments that I have seen on these boards more times than I care to count......

RB.... ill say Tiki just based on pure numbers....again I am not here to start arguments

fb....Carthon

Wr.... Toomer but Nicks has great chance of passing him

Te...Bavaro...sorry will not even entertain a discussion on this one

OT...Elliot...see above

OG ..this one was tough but I'll go Snee

C...Oates

DE...Strahan

DT...Im assuming we mean nt in a 3/4 I'll say erik howard

DG/dt in a 4/3 Hamilton comes to mind but i think Rosey Greer was a dt so he would be the one but a little before my time

LB...no brainer... although you might have to go with LT on outside and Carson for middle

S......Spider Lockart

CB.....Mark Collins

titwio
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Off the top of my head on the fly...don't give me crap.

QB- Eli Manning

RB- Tiki Barber

FB- Maurice Carthon

WR- Hakeem Nicks (Will be by the end of career IMO)

TE- Mark Bavaro

OT- John "Jumbo" Elliot

OG- Chris Snee

C- Shaun 'O' Hara?

DE- Michael Strahan

LB- L.T.

DT- Keith Hamilton maybe (not sure about best)

S- Mark Collins maybe?

CB- Jason Sehorn, Sparks...not too sure.

fansince69
07-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Off the top of my head on the fly...don't give me crap.

QB- Eli Manning

RB- Tiki Barber

FB- Maurice Carthon

WR- Hakeem Nicks (Will be by the end of career IMO)

TE- Mark Bavaro

OT- John "Jumbo" Elliot

OG- Chris Snee

C- Shaun 'O' Hara?

DE- Michael Strahan

LB- L.T.

DT- Keith Hamilton maybe (not sure about best)

S- Mark Collins maybe?

CB- Jason Sehorn, Sparks...not too sure.

Collins was a cb not a s...other than that our lists are very close

Harooni
07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
QB- Warner
</p>

RB- Tiki
</p>

FB- Comilla
</p>

WR- Baker
</p>

TE- Bravaro</p>

OT- Jumbo
</p>

OG- rosenthal
</p>

C- bart oats
</p>

DE- tuck
</p>

LB- LT
</p>

DT- Hamilton
</p>

S- Sparks
</p>

CB- Sehorn
</p>

</p>

GameTime
07-12-2012, 02:55 PM
QB- Warner</P>

</P>

you're such a ******....[:P]</P>

Harooni
07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
QB- Warner</p>

</p>

you're such a ******....[:P]</p>
wha?? Warner stat wise is the best QB to ever play for us.

GameTime
07-12-2012, 03:02 PM
QB- Warner</P>

</P>

</P>

while he was a Giant??? Yeah whatever....you are just being a DH....:)</P>

fansince69
07-12-2012, 03:06 PM
QB- Warner</p>

</p>

</p>

while he was a Giant???</p>

</p>

Why do you bother?...you know by looking at the list he did not answer seriously...just leave it be...There were at least 3 0r 4 that I just shook my head....Baker Comilla? be serious

GameTime
07-12-2012, 03:09 PM
QB- Warner</P>

</P>

</P>

while he was a Giant???</P>

</P>

Why do you bother?...you know by looking at the list he did not answer seriously...just leave it be...There were at least 3 0r 4 that I just shook my head....Baker Comilla? be serious
</P>

Oh I know....its Harooni....just letting him think some one is actually serious about his "sly" posting...</P>

</P>

Harooni
07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
while he was a Giant???
</p> oh you want to get technical

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 03:50 PM
CB - Webster
S - KP will be if he stays healthy and remains a giant.

I agree with the earlier post that Nicks will be the best WR in Giants history. If he isnt already.

I know Im in the minority, and Shockey is a major tool, but I believe he was the best TE in giants history. Which is not saying all that much either. Thats clearly a position that the giants can improve upon historically.

pino
07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Based on the players I watched and followed:

QB - Eli, I grew up watching and respecting Simms. We can debate this on another thread.
RB - Tiki
FB - Carthon
WR- It's not a Toomer
TE - Bavaro
OT - Elliot
OG - William Roberts, although I also considered Ron Stone.
C - Oates
DE - Strahan
DT - Erik Howard, but my personal favorite is Jim Burt
LB - LT
S - This one is tough but I'm going to give it to Terry Kinard
CB - Collins

PR/KR - Dave Meggett
P - Feagles
K - Matt Bahr? Tynes?

rebelfan1966
07-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm surprised Gifford and Y.A. have not made the discussions yet...

fansince69
07-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Most on the boards are too young to remember....including me and I am old...lol...I weas only including players I have seen and that is basically the Super Bowl era......

To Slip...I respect you as a poster but how can you rank Shocky ahead of Bavaro?.....sorry I just do not see it as even being a discussion....As much as I liked Shockey in first few seasons here...Bavaro was not human at times

Sorry I can not put Webster(yes I love Webster) ahead of Collins yet....and KP has a long way to go to catch spider

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 05:06 PM
.Bavaro was not human at times

Statistically bavaro is about equal with shockey.

Shockey went to twice as many pro-bowls.

Really I think both were only about slightly above average per the rest of the league.

I think giants fans by and large tend to overrate Bavaro a good amount. But thats not an uncommon thing, people always have special nostalgia spots for players they watched growing up.

GMENAGAIN
07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
CB - Webster S - KP will be if he stays healthy and remains a giant. I agree with the earlier post that Nicks will be the best WR in Giants history. If he isnt already. I know Im in the minority, and Shockey is a major tool, but I believe he was the best TE in giants history. Which is not saying all that much either. Thats clearly a position that the giants can improve upon historically.</P>

I believe that Shockey could have been the best TE in Giants history, but in the end he didn't measure up to all the hype. It's a shame . . . . </P>

Harooni
07-12-2012, 05:14 PM
.Bavaro was not human at times

Statistically bavaro is about equal with shockey.

Shockey went to twice as many pro-bowls.

Really I think both were only about slightly above average per the rest of the league.

I think giants fans by and large tend to overrate Bavaro a good amount. But thats not an uncommon thing, people always have special nostalgia spots for players they watched growing up.
probably the case. however ill rate him higher because of work ethic

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
>probably the case. however ill rate him higher because of work ethic

Then if they are roughly equal wouldnt you have to conclude shockey was more naturally talented?

Harooni
07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
&gt;probably the case. however ill rate him higher because of work ethic

Then if they are roughly equal wouldnt you have to conclude shockey was more naturally talented?
probably. not sure if it was al natural . hehe shockey6 had a real passion for the game i always liked that, he loved playing.

GMENAGAIN
07-12-2012, 05:28 PM
As far as WR, I know that Toomer has all the career stats, but he was never the game-changing WR that Plax was . . . . </P>

I also agree that Nicks will end up surpassing both of them.</P>

B&RWarrior
07-12-2012, 05:31 PM

probably. not sure if it was al natural . hehe* shockey6 had a real passion for the game i always liked that, he loved playing.

Shockey was easily the most talented and dynamic TE we ever had. He became as adept at blocking as he was at the receving part of the game. What brings Bavaro even with Shockey is that he had better hands was more durable.

fansince69
07-12-2012, 05:37 PM
As far as WR, I know that Toomer has all the career stats, but he was never the game-changing WR that Plax was . . . . </p>

I also agree that Nicks will end up surpassing both of them.</p>

Sorry as far as I am concerned Plax was overrated because of some of the plays he made...but in my opinion there were as many plays that he didnt make that keep him from being good....plus he only did it for few years ....Toomer did it for many...

back to Slip....I dont know how old you think I am....I watched bavaro as an adult not as a wide eyed kid.....I guess we will have to disagree about who was better........to me Yes Shocky had more natural talent......but he wasted most of it running his mouth instead of playing the game.....Bavaro had more heart than any player I have ever seen.

THE_New_York_Giants
07-12-2012, 05:43 PM
QB- Eli Manning
</p>

RB- Tiki Barber
</p>

FB- Charles Way
</p>

WR- Hakeem Nicks
</p>

TE- Mark Bavaro
</p>

OT- Rosey Brown
</p>

OG- Billy Ard
</p>

C- Mel Hein
</p>

DE- Michael Strahan
</p>

LB- Lawrence Taylor
</p>

DT- Leonard Marshall
</p>

DG- What?
</p>

S- Jim Thorpe
</p>

CB- Emlen Tunnell
</p>

</p>

Bavaro pre knee injury was the best tight end ever and whomever says different never saw him play. I don't understand how most of you guys have failed to mention Emlen Tunnell... He was probably the greatest corner in history.
</p>

THE_New_York_Giants
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM

Most on the boards are too young to remember....including me and I am old...lol...I weas only including players I have seen and that is basically the Super Bowl era......

To Slip...I respect you as a poster but how can you rank Shocky ahead of Bavaro?.....sorry I just do not see it as even being a discussion....As much as I liked Shockey in first few seasons here...Bavaro was not human at times

Sorry I can not put Webster(yes I love Webster) ahead of Collins yet....and KP has a long way to go to catch spider

Connerly was better for the Giants than YA was.

miked1958
07-12-2012, 06:04 PM

probably. not sure if it was al natural . hehe* shockey6 had a real passion for the game i always liked that, he loved playing.

Shockey was easily the most talented and dynamic TE we ever had. He became as adept at blocking as he was at the receving part of the game. What brings Bavaro even with Shockey is that he had better hands was more durable.Based on his attitude and what he did overall in his career compared to Shockey there is no comparison to the two. You can't give someone accolades based off of potential. IMO Shockey isnt even a pimple on bavaros butt

miked1958
07-12-2012, 06:09 PM
QB- Eli Manning
</p>Eli/Y.A

RB- Tiki Barber
</p>Gifford /Morrison

FB- Charles Way
</p>Hynoski lol

WR- Hakeem Nicks
</p>homer jones

TE- Mark Bavaro
</p>bavaro

OT- Rosey Brown
</p>Karl

OG- Billy Ard
</p>ard

C- Mel Hein
</p>Mel

DE- Michael Strahan
</p>michael/George Martin /Andy Robustelli

LB- Lawrence Taylor
</p>LT/ Sam Huff

DT- Leonard Marshall
</p>Marshall/rosey Grier

DG- What?
</p>

S- Jim Thorpe
</p>Thorpe

CB- Emlen Tunnell
</p>spider

*</p>

Bavaro pre knee injury was the best tight end ever and whomever says different never saw him play.* I don't understand how most of you guys have failed to mention Emlen Tunnell...* He was probably the greatest corner in history.
</p>
Put my picks new and old next to or under yours,

Also look at this list and see what you guys think of the top 50 all time giants

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/740393-new-york-giants-top-50-players-of-all-time/page/50

Eli is 26 all time on the list

pino
07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't understand how most of you guys have failed to mention Emlen Tunnell...* He was probably the greatest corner in history.
</p>

Because most of us have never seen Emlen play. I agree he's one of the greatest but I can only use someone else's recollection. That's why I didn't include him, or Spider.

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 06:20 PM
* I don't understand how most of you guys have failed to mention Emlen Tunnell...*

Yea, im going to change mine from webster to Tunnell.

greenca190
07-12-2012, 06:23 PM
As far as WR, I know that Toomer has all the career stats, but he was never the game-changing WR that Plax was . . . . </P>

How long have you been watching Giants football?

Toomer burned defensive backs early til mid way through his career.

His ability to alter his play throughout his career stands out to me even more so than Plax's natural physical gifts. Physically, Plax was the better receiver when they were on the Giants together. I think Amani was better during his prime then Plax was during his, though.

And you could coach Amani. Plax couldn't be coached.

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 06:26 PM

The most incredible thing to me is the pace Nicks is catching up to Toomer's stats.

Toomer played for 14 seasons and had 9,500 yards and 54 TDs.

Nicks is going into his 4th season and has 3,000 yards and 24 TDs.

If you project Nicks numbers over a 14 season career he will finish with 14,000 yards, and 112 TDs. More than DOUBLE Toomer's TD numbers. Thats incredible.

greenca190
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM

The most incredible thing to me is the pace Nicks is catching up to Toomer's stats.

Toomer played for 14 seasons and had 9,500 yards and 54 TDs.

Nicks is going into his 4th season and has 3,000 yards and 24 TDs.

If you project Nicks numbers over a 14 season career he will finish with 14,000 yards, and 112 TDs. More than DOUBLE Toomer's TD numbers. Thats incredible.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. He's good. I just can't say he's the best to wear Giants blue after three seasons. The argument is there for both him and Plaxico though.

How the hell did this organization win games prior to 1996?

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. He's good. I just can't say he's the best to wear Giants blue after three seasons.

He is already the most physically gifted and most consistently productive receiver they have ever had. He is already a top 10 receiver in the NFL. Toomer and Burress never were.

I think the truth is the giants organization never had very good offenses, especially pass offenses.

greenca190
07-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. He's good. I just can't say he's the best to wear Giants blue after three seasons.

He is already the most physically gifted and most consistently productive receiver they have ever had. He is already a top 10 receiver in the NFL. Toomer and Burress never were.

Burress had some physical gifts. If ya know what I mean (big schlonger).

Both Burress and Toomer were top ten receivers at some point in their careers. I don't know where you're getting that from.

And just because Hakeem has put up numbers during his first three years, does not mean that he is the best wide receiver to ever play on the team.

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Both Burress and Toomer were top ten receivers at some point in their careers. I don't know where you're getting that from.

Neither ever were. That they both had a couple seasons with decent numbers more proves that.

Nicks will in the next couple seasons make all-pro and probowls multiple times.

No other giants receiver has ever done that.

As for Burress, and not being able to compare him to Nicks because Nicks has only been on the team 3 seasons... Burress only played on the giants for 4 seasons.

Just compare Plax's and Nicks numbers, Nicks is already in his first three seasons in the league, playing as well as Plax ever did.

If you compare catch rate and things like that, Nicks is far better than Plax ever was.

BeatYale
07-12-2012, 06:39 PM

His ability to alter his play throughout his career stands out to me even more so than Plax's natural physical gifts. Physically, Plax was the better receiver when they were on the Giants together. I think Amani was better during his prime then Plax was during his, though.

And you could coach Amani. Plax couldn't be coached.

What's considered early? Because if I'm remembering correctly, Toomer didn't get 'good' until his 4th season in the NFL.

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
What's considered early? Because if I'm remembering correctly, Toomer didn't get 'good' until his 4th season in the NFL.

Toomer's first three seasons he had a total of 624 yards and 6 TDs.

Toomer had a 5 year stretch in the middle of his career where he had consecutive 1000 yard seasons. Also had 31 TDs in that stretch.

BeatYale
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Toomer had a 5 year stretch in the middle of his career where he had consecutive 1000 yard seasons. Also had 31 TDs in that stretch.

Right. That was my point, he didn't just show up to the NFL and start producing right away like Nicks has.

FearNYGiants
07-12-2012, 08:29 PM

To be fair, Toomer Only started 1 game in his first 3 seasons combined. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ToomAm00.htm

Nicks started 33 in his first 3.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NickHa01.htm

FearNYGiants
07-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Sorry, double post..

slipknottin
07-12-2012, 08:38 PM
To be fair, Toomer Only started 1 game in his first 3 seasons combined. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ToomAm00.htm

Thats not a "fair" thing. If Toomer was the best receiver on the team those 3 years, he would have been starting games.

greenca190
07-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Right. That was my point, he didn't just show up to the NFL and start producing right away like Nicks has.

If I'm starting out a team, and I have to pick between Amani Toomer or Hakeem Nicks in the prime of their careers, I'm picking Hakeem.

But as far as contributions to the Giants franchise, career numbers, etc. Amani beats out Nicks' three years.

JJC7301
07-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Ok, I'm bored..... so here is something to kill some time. By*position, who is the best player in Giants History.</P>

QB-</P>

RB-</P>

FB-</P>

WR-</P>

TE-</P>

OT-</P>

OG-</P>

C-</P>

DE-</P>

LB-</P>

DT-</P>

DG-</P>

S-</P>

CB-</P>

*</P>
I'm sticking with the modern era because I'm only going with players that I've seen with my own 2 eyes:

QB - Eli
RB - Barber
FB - Carthon
WR - Toomer (Nicks closing in)
TE - Bavaro
OT - Elliot
OG -
C - Oates
DE - Strahan and Marshall (tied IMO)
LB - Taylor (obviously)
DT - Burt
S -
CB - Webster

chasjay
07-12-2012, 11:07 PM
As far as WR, I know that Toomer has all the career stats, but he was never the game-changing WR that Plax was . . . . </p>

I also agree that Nicks will end up surpassing both of them.</p>

Their stats don't match for long term Giant WR's, but for a few years, Del Shofner and Homer Jones were great. I know the thread is on all-time best Giants, but I just had to throw my little nostalgia in the mix. When they caught the ball, some ground was gained.

fourth&forever
07-12-2012, 11:49 PM
There are more than 1 linebacker on a team so how about these guys for a 3-4 alignment?
OLB - Taylor & Banks
ILB - Carson & Huff

Can't even fit in Van Pelt.

FearNYGiants
07-13-2012, 12:08 AM

Thats not a "fair" thing. If Toomer was the best receiver on the team those 3 years, he would have been starting games.
True, Nicks is the better receiver for his time (as far as the depth chart is concerned), he did beat out the competition where Toomer failed in the beginning of his career; you're still comparing a guy who wasn't even on the field most of the time with a guy who was though and that's still not fair to Toomer. It's like taking a bat to the legs of one guy before a race, and saying "well it was the other guy who was running and it's not even close!" It's an apples to oranges scenario for certain.

EDIT: Wait a few more years for Nicks, and then you can compare the 2 in an apples to apples scenario.
Toomer did get the first 3 years of development,but the production wasn't there because he wasn't on the field.

greenca190
07-13-2012, 12:22 AM

True, Nicks is the better receiver for his time (as far as the depth chart is concerned), he did beat out the competition where Toomer failed in the beginning of his career; you're still comparing a guy who wasn't even on the field most of the time with a guy who was though and that's still not fair to Toomer. It's like taking a bat to the legs of one guy before a race, and saying "well it was the other guy who was running and it's not even close!" It's an apples to oranges scenario for certain.

EDIT: Wait a few more years for Nicks, and then you can compare the 2 in an apples to apples scenario.
Toomer did get the first 3 years of development,but the production wasn't there because he wasn't on the field.

and nicks might not even be a giant in a couple years.

giantsfan420
07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
just to throw out a diff thought;

when we had plex while he was for the most part in his prime, we had a still developing eli. now dont get me wrong, eli was very effective, we won a sb with that duo. but, could you imagine if eli today had a plex in his prime? they would be unstoppable...they were close to that before hand, i believe there was a point where eli to plex was the most qb to wr td's in the nfl...eli showes improved accuracy since plex has left, i honestly believe that if we had eli in his prime at the same time of plex in his prime, they would be one of the best qb/wr tandems in nfl history lol. with plex's size and elite ball snatching technique and eli with his pinpoint accuracy and laser arm...corners wouldnt stand a chance...

GMENAGAIN
07-13-2012, 06:33 AM

How long have you been watching Giants football? Toomer burned defensive backs early til mid way through his career. His ability to alter his play throughout his career stands out to me even more so than Plax's natural physical gifts. Physically, Plax was the better receiver when they were on the Giants together. I think Amani was better during his prime then Plax was during his, though. And you could coach Amani. Plax couldn't be coached.</P>

Since long before Toomer was playing . . . . .</P>

I'm not disputing that Toomer was a good receiver. Just never considered him great. </P>

GeoGoGo
07-13-2012, 10:10 AM
QB- Warner</p>

</p>

</p>

while he was a Giant???</p>

*</p>

He is a Met fan. That should explain it all.

slipknottin
07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
we had a still developing eli. now dont get me wrong, eli was very effective, we won a sb with that duo. but, could you imagine if eli today had a plex in his prime.

Nicks is a much better receiver than Plax. He gets open much more often, doesnt drop nearly as many passes.

Eli needed better receivers to be a better QB, he finally got that in Cruz and Nicks.

He struggled early on because Toomer couldnt get open, shockey was never on the same page as Eli, and Plax was very inconsistent.

jakegibbs
07-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Ok, I'm bored..... so here is something to kill some time. By*position, who is the best player in Giants History.</P>

QB-</P>

RB-</P>

FB-</P>

WR-</P>

TE-</P>

OT-</P>

OG-</P>

C-</P>

DE-</P>

LB-</P>

DT-</P>

DG-</P>