PDA

View Full Version : JACOBS SAYS HE LEFT GIANTS OVER SMALL MONEY DISPUTE

NYGiantsFan56
07-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Its a shame his career ended here over a small money dispute. Here is the article.

BRANDON JACOBS SAYS REASON FOR LEAVING GIANTS 'WAS JUST MONEY'
Published: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 11:00 AM Updated: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
By Jorge Castillo/The Star-Ledger

After seven seasons with the Giants, Brandon Jacobs said he didn't return because he and the team were "a couple hundred thousand" dollars apart.
When the Giants released Brandon Jacobs in early March just before he was due a $500,000 roster bonus, they didn't necessarily want to cut ties for good. Up until the end, the Giants thought bringing Brandon Jacobs back was a "possibility" -- at the right price. But ultimately, Jacobs joined Mario Manningham and signed a one-year deal with San Francisco a month later.
Last night, Jacobs told Jim Rome on CBS Network's show "ROME" that the reason he didn't remain a Giant was simple.
"It was just money, thatís all it was, a couple hundred thousand [dollars]," Jacobs told Rome.
Asked if it was "just a couple hundred thousand bucks" then why didn't they want him back, Jacobs replied, "You would think so."
Jacobs, who was in Los Angeles with some of his former teammates last night for the ESPYs, is set to make at least $1.575 million this season plus incentives, which could bring the total to $2 million.
Jacobs played seven seasons with the Giants and rushed for 571 yards and seven touchdowns last season. He averaged just 3.8 yards per carry and the yard total was his fewest since 2006.
Without him in the fold, the Giants used their first-round pick on David Wilson.
Jorge Castillo: jcastillo@starledger.com

SweetZombieJesus
07-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Sad to see it end that way, but we really did need to part ways with Jacobs, he hasn't been the Jacobs we remember for years.

And now we've got David Wilson to play with... Onward and upward.

NYGiantsFan56
07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Chances are he will be one and done with San Francisco and he will come back and retire as a Giant. Best of luck to him this year except when they play us.

NYGiantsFan56
07-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Sad to see it end that way, but we really did need to part ways with Jacobs, he hasn't been the Jacobs we remember for years.

Your right. Great teams like the Giants always know when its time to upgrade

miked1958
07-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Your right. Great teams like the Giants always know when its time to upgradeSeems like the front office has a knack for it

Morehead State
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM

Your right. Great teams like the Giants always know when its time to upgradeSeems like the front office has a knack for it
This all may be true. But Brandon Jacobs was a great Giant. And I loved rooting for him for all these years. That kid brought real attitude to our offense.

jomo
07-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Sad to see it end that way, but we really did need to part ways with Jacobs, he hasn't been the Jacobs we remember for years. And now we've got David Wilson to play with... Onward and upward.Totally agree, if you aren't changing with the times, you are moving backward.I loveBJ and all he did for this team. I also believe he should make every nickle he can since his career is obviously winding down. Iwish him nothing but the best. Go Blue!!

FBomb
07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Funny that BJ thinks it was all about the money and not his deminished skills that was the reason we "didn't want him back". </P>

You got got 2 rings here, BJ, and we will always love you for that......but there comes a time, especially with RB, when you aren't what you once were. Don't be bitter, it's just business.</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
07-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Funny that BJ thinks it was all about the money and not his deminished skills that was the reason we "didn't want him back". </p>

You got got 2 rings here, BJ, and we will always love you for that......but there comes a time, especially with RB, when you aren't what you once were. Don't be bitter, it's just business.</p>

Even Emmitt Smith got let go in the end..

SweetZombieJesus
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a.

Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do.

JJC7301
07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
No hating Jacobs. The guy was a great warrior for the our team and provided so many memorable TRUCKS during his tenure.

He already took a pay cut or two before this year, including one to keep AB on board. I don't blame him for leaving for $500,000 extra -- loyalty is overrated when you're 1 injury away from your career being over and in a league of non-fully guaranteed contracts (and amen for that). You could also question the Giants loyalty to Jacobs, but we all understand that it was business. But it was business for both sides.

Jacobs will always be one of my favorite Giants and I wish him the best. He'll fit in well with the 49ers because they are a tough, hungry, team and so is Jacobs.

miked1958
07-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Morehead State
07-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a.

Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do.
Don't forget that BJ took a pay cut just so we could resign Bradshaw. I loved Rodney too, but BJ will always be one of the truly great Giants of all time for me. Getting in the fight with Roy Williams, breaking the game clock in Dallas and of course 4th and one in the greatest drive in Giants history.
BJ was one of the most misunderstood players I can remember. He was a tailback. he wasn't a third and short or goal line player. he was misused. Its exactly what Ernie said as well.
I loved the guy as a player....Great Giant.

byron
07-12-2012, 11:23 PM
mh... I also think he played a big part in the Giants turn around and the all in attitude last year he will be missed in that locker room ...you can bet your *** on that....

jomo
07-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a. Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do. Don't forget that BJ took a pay cut just so we could resign Bradshaw. I loved Rodney too, but BJ will always be one of the truly great Giants of all time for me. Getting in the fight with Roy Williams, breaking the game clock in Dallas and of course 4th and one in the greatest drive in Giants history. BJ was one of the most misunderstood players I can remember. He was a tailback. he wasn't a third and short or goal line player. he was misused. Its exactly what Ernie said as well. I loved the guy as a player....Great Giant.Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Did I miss any??

Morehead State
07-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a. Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do. Don't forget that BJ took a pay cut just so we could resign Bradshaw. I loved Rodney too, but BJ will always be one of the truly great Giants of all time for me. Getting in the fight with Roy Williams, breaking the game clock in Dallas and of course 4th and one in the greatest drive in Giants history. BJ was one of the most misunderstood players I can remember. He was a tailback. he wasn't a third and short or goal line player. he was misused. Its exactly what Ernie said as well. I loved the guy as a player....Great Giant.Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Did I miss any??
There is no question that Tiki was the best RB in Giants history, but when the history books are written about the last 20 years of Giants football, I would suggest that BJ will play a greater role as an impactful player to the team than Tiki.
I say that as a genuine non Tiki hater.

radar-ray
07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a. Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do. Don't forget that BJ took a pay cut just so we could resign Bradshaw. I loved Rodney too, but BJ will always be one of the truly great Giants of all time for me. Getting in the fight with Roy Williams, breaking the game clock in Dallas and of course 4th and one in the greatest drive in Giants history. BJ was one of the most misunderstood players I can remember. He was a tailback. he wasn't a third and short or goal line player. he was misused. Its exactly what Ernie said as well. I loved the guy as a player....Great Giant.Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Did I miss any??Ditto.

giantsfan420
07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
There is no question that Tiki was the best RB in Giants history, but when the history books are written about the last 20 years of Giants football, I would suggest that BJ will play a greater role as an impactful player to the team than Tiki.

i dunno. i believe BJ overtook career touchdowns as a giants from tiki. and bj was the rb for two sb's...statistically, tiki was the best giants rb and its not even close...but theres something to be said for the success jacobs had coupled with his two sb rings...

and i am a big jacobs fan. have his jersey. always loved what he stood for out on that field, sheer brute strength and will. his early career, he gave us some of the most entertaining runs i can remember. anyone recall that kickoff return he had that one time where he just ran full steam and demolished like three people on the kickoff coverage team??
that said, and im thankful for jacobs and he will always be a giants, if it was "only a couple hundred thousand" why wouldnt you jacobs just bite the bullet and take that small loss. you know dude has made tens of millions of dollars iwth the nyg, at minimum...woulda been nice if he woulda just taken ANOTHER pay cut (which is why i understand he didnt re-sign with us) if jacobs hadnt restructured twice already, maybe hed be a giants right now without sweating that couple hundred thousand...but yeah he will be missed.

miked1958
07-13-2012, 12:45 AM

This all may be true. But Brandon Jacobs was a great Giant. And I loved rooting for him for all these years. That kid brought real attitude to our offense.I don't disagree. He was my favorite player. However if we kept him we most likely don't draft David Wilson in the first round. Maybe we do, but more likely tale an O-Lineman in the first and a RB later.
So who knows keeping Jacobs could of changed the whole look of the first several rounds of the draft. We may not have even got RR

miked1958
07-13-2012, 12:48 AM
With what I know about Jacobs this late in his career and knowing he may have 1 or 2 good yrs left and not even at the level he was yrs ago compared to the huge potential that DW and RR bring, IMO I am happy the way things worked out.

Only time will tell if it works out in the Giants favor but I think in the long run it will payoff

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 12:56 AM
With what I know about Jacobs this late in his career and knowing he may have 1 or 2 good yrs left and not even at the level he was yrs ago compared to the huge potential that DW and RR bring, IMO I am happy the way things worked out.

Only time will tell if it works out in the Giants favor but I think in the long run it will payoff
I have no problem with the FO not meeting BJ's price. I have no problem saying that his skills may have diminished.
I was only saying that he was a great Giant when he was here. And I appreciate his efforts for our beloved team.

Martyr
07-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a. Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do. Don't forget that BJ took a pay cut just so we could resign Bradshaw. I loved Rodney too, but BJ will always be one of the truly great Giants of all time for me. Getting in the fight with Roy Williams, breaking the game clock in Dallas and of course 4th and one in the greatest drive in Giants history. BJ was one of the most misunderstood players I can remember. He was a tailback. he wasn't a third and short or goal line player. he was misused. Its exactly what Ernie said as well. I loved the guy as a player....Great Giant.Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Did I miss any??Ditto.</P>

I dont think it can be said any better. </P>

Toadofsteel
07-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Jacobs still has the Giants heart though, that's for sure. He'll definitely retire a Giant. The Jacobs/Bradshaw tandem was one of the niftiest things to see on the team IMO. When Tiki went into full ******bag mode and abandoned the team, it was those two guys that stepped up and gave us a running game.

I can only hope that Wilson gives us that same fire that Jacobs has in the locker room. His locker room speech at the beginning of his highlight reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=J1bO123KOEM) definitely reveals that in him. Wilson at least seems to be Jacobs 2.0 with the same fire in his heart, if not sheer size. Or, better yet, he's Jacobs in Tiki's body, but younger.

TuckYou
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
My only question is not whether we can get production that we lost from BJ, but will someone step up and be a vocal, fire starter, mean tough guy for us on offnese. I cant think of anyone with the attittude and intimidation Jacobs brought to our offense. We need to have players hate Dallas the way he did.

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 11:22 AM
My only question is not whether we can get production that we lost from BJ, but will someone step up and be a vocal, fire starter, mean tough guy for us on offnese. I cant think of anyone with the attittude and intimidation Jacobs brought to our offense. We need to have players hate Dallas the way he did.
Who else would have gotten in Rex Ryan's grill? BJ was awesome!

burier
07-13-2012, 11:24 AM

i dunno. i believe BJ overtook career touchdowns as a giants from tiki. and bj was the rb for two sb's...statistically, tiki was the best giants rb and its not even close...but theres something to be said for the success jacobs had coupled with his two sb rings...

and i am a big jacobs fan. have his jersey. always loved what he stood for out on that field, sheer brute strength and will. his early career, he gave us some of the most entertaining runs i can remember. anyone recall that kickoff return he had that one time where he just ran full steam and demolished like three people on the kickoff coverage team??
that said, and im thankful for jacobs and he will always be a giants, if it was "only a couple hundred thousand" why wouldnt you jacobs just bite the bullet and take that small loss. you know dude has made tens of millions of dollars iwth the nyg, at minimum...woulda been nice if he woulda just taken ANOTHER pay cut (which is why i understand he didnt re-sign with us) if jacobs hadnt restructured twice already, maybe hed be a giants right now without sweating that couple hundred thousand...but yeah he will be missed.

But why should the player bite the bullet? Why couldn't the Giants toss him that "small money" he was looking for?

That's why these relationships end. Its because either party can't agree on who should give in.

One thing I will say in defense of Jacobs is it always works out where the team has an excuse to pay a player less money.

The team goes to the player and says.."Hey don't you want to defend your title? Take a little less money"

"Hey the fans love you here. Take a little less money"

"Hey the weather is nice here...etc etc etc."

But the player never gets to say..."Hey don't you want to keep your team intact for a title defense? Pay me a little more money."

The player always ends up outleveraged.

The only recourse the player has is to go to the highest bidder.

FBomb
07-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I will never understand why people get so butt hurt over the Giants "getting rid" of a player who is on the downside of his career. Players come and go all the time. They are removed to make room for the NEXT younger player to produce. The Giants track record speaks for itself.</P>

You show me 1 NFL team that is "loyal" and I'll show you a team that misses the playoffs year after year after year.</P>

It's ok to love a player and what he has meant to the organization.....but to get "mad" at the organization for moving on is silly.</P>

FBomb
07-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a. Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do. Don't forget that BJ took a pay cut just so we could resign Bradshaw. I loved Rodney too, but BJ will always be one of the truly great Giants of all time for me. Getting in the fight with Roy Williams, breaking the game clock in Dallas and of course 4th and one in the greatest drive in Giants history. BJ was one of the most misunderstood players I can remember. He was a tailback. he wasn't a third and short or goal line player. he was misused. Its exactly what Ernie said as well. I loved the guy as a player....Great Giant.Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Did I miss any?? There is no question that Tiki was the best RB in Giants history, but when the history books are written about the last 20 years of Giants football, I would suggest that BJ will play a greater role as an impactful player to the team than Tiki. I say that as a genuine non Tiki hater. i dunno. i believe BJ overtook career touchdowns as a giants from tiki. and bj was the rb for two sb's...statistically, tiki was the best giants rb and its not even close...but theres something to be said for the success jacobs had coupled with his two sb rings... and i am a big jacobs fan. have his jersey. always loved what he stood for out on that field, sheer brute strength and will. his early career, he gave us some of the most entertaining runs i can remember. anyone recall that kickoff return he had that one time where he just ran full steam and demolished like three people on the kickoff coverage team?? that said, and im thankful for jacobs and he will always be a giants, if it was "only a couple hundred thousand" why wouldnt you jacobs just bite the bullet and take that small loss. you know dude has made tens of millions of dollars iwth the nyg, at minimum...woulda been nice if he woulda just taken ANOTHER pay cut (which is why i understand he didnt re-sign with us) if jacobs hadnt restructured twice already, maybe hed be a giants right now without sweating that couple hundred thousand...but yeah he will be missed. But why should the player bite the bullet? Why couldn't the Giants toss him that "small money" he was looking for?</P>

Easy....it was time to move on.</P>

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a. Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do. Don't forget that BJ took a pay cut just so we could resign Bradshaw. I loved Rodney too, but BJ will always be one of the truly great Giants of all time for me. Getting in the fight with Roy Williams, breaking the game clock in Dallas and of course 4th and one in the greatest drive in Giants history. BJ was one of the most misunderstood players I can remember. He was a tailback. he wasn't a third and short or goal line player. he was misused. Its exactly what Ernie said as well. I loved the guy as a player....Great Giant.Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Did I miss any?? There is no question that Tiki was the best RB in Giants history, but when the history books are written about the last 20 years of Giants football, I would suggest that BJ will play a greater role as an impactful player to the team than Tiki. I say that as a genuine non Tiki hater. i dunno. i believe BJ overtook career touchdowns as a giants from tiki. and bj was the rb for two sb's...statistically, tiki was the best giants rb and its not even close...but theres something to be said for the success jacobs had coupled with his two sb rings... and i am a big jacobs fan. have his jersey. always loved what he stood for out on that field, sheer brute strength and will. his early career, he gave us some of the most entertaining runs i can remember. anyone recall that kickoff return he had that one time where he just ran full steam and demolished like three people on the kickoff coverage team?? that said, and im thankful for jacobs and he will always be a giants, if it was "only a couple hundred thousand" why wouldnt you jacobs just bite the bullet and take that small loss. you know dude has made tens of millions of dollars iwth the nyg, at minimum...woulda been nice if he woulda just taken ANOTHER pay cut (which is why i understand he didnt re-sign with us) if jacobs hadnt restructured twice already, maybe hed be a giants right now without sweating that couple hundred thousand...but yeah he will be missed. But why should the player bite the bullet? Why couldn't the Giants toss him that "small money" he was looking for?</P>

There is no question that the drafting of David Wilson was the best indication that it was time to move on from BJ. He will be missed (especially by me) but I have no problem with the notion that it is in the teams intererest to move on from BJ.

But I still love the guy.

BeatYale
07-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Clearly the Giants felt his value had gone down to dirt if they felt he wasn't worth an extra 500k.

I don't know what happened to Jacobs, maybe at some point a light bulb went on in his head realizing that his running style was taking it's toll on his health, because he started to hesitate around the LOS after getting the ball.

FBomb
07-13-2012, 11:52 AM

There is no question that the drafting of David Wilson was the best indication that it was time to move on from BJ. He will be missed (especially by me) but I have no problem with the notion that it is in the teams intererest to move on from BJ. But I still love the guy.</P>

Me too......was just addressing the posters that have a problem as to why the Giants didn't pay him what he wanted to stay.</P>

rebelfan1966
07-13-2012, 11:52 AM

This all may be true. But Brandon Jacobs was a great Giant. And I loved rooting for him for all these years. That kid brought real attitude to our offense.

Brace yourself for this..... I agree with you : )

burier
07-13-2012, 11:53 AM

I agree. I'm just saying that it's really no one's fault. It's certainly not BJs fault.

FBomb
07-13-2012, 11:58 AM

I agree. I'm just saying that it's really no one's fault. It's certainly not BJs fault.</P>

No one said it was. If he wanted to remain a Giant he should have accepted their offer. Instead he took what he could get somewhere else. No big deal. So being upset about it is silly.</P>

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 11:59 AM

I agree. I'm just saying that it's really no one's fault. It's certainly not BJs fault.
BJ gave as much of himself as any Giants player I can remember. Both to the organization and the fans. And wore his heart on his sleeve while doing it. He's given plenty and owes us nothing. Good luck in SF and thanks for everything.

FBomb
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM

I agree. I'm just saying that it's really no one's fault. It's certainly not BJs fault. BJ gave as much of himself as any Giants player I can remember. Both to the organization and the fans. And wore his heart on his sleeve while doing it. He's given plenty and owes us nothing. Good luck in SF and thanks for everything.</P>

Ditto</P>

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 12:33 PM

I agree. I'm just saying that it's really no one's fault. It's certainly not BJs fault. BJ gave as much of himself as any Giants player I can remember. Both to the organization and the fans. And wore his heart on his sleeve while doing it. He's given plenty and owes us nothing. Good luck in SF and thanks for everything.</P>

Ditto</P>
I can't know his personal situation, but all things being the same I'd like to see him retire. He's so tall and runs so upright and has taken so many shots to his knees. I'd hate to see him end up as one of those ex players who can barely walk when they get to be my age.

FBomb
07-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Ditto</P>

I can't know his personal situation, but all things being the same I'd like to see him retire. He's so tall and runs so upright and has taken so many shots to his knees. I'd hate to see him end up as one of those ex players who can barely walk when they get to be my age.</P>

Honestly.... I can see that happening as early as next season for him. Resign him and let him retire as a Giant.</P>

repeatchamps
07-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Just so I'm clear, BJ was a great Giant, I'm not dissing him at all. #27 will always mean Rodney Hampton to me but Jacobs will be 27a. Great teammate and leader despite his temper and mouth... Great Giant... Sad to see it end but all good things do. Don't forget that BJ took a pay cut just so we could resign Bradshaw. I loved Rodney too, but BJ will always be one of the truly great Giants of all time for me. Getting in the fight with Roy Williams, breaking the game clock in Dallas and of course 4th and one in the greatest drive in Giants history. BJ was one of the most misunderstood players I can remember. He was a tailback. he wasn't a third and short or goal line player. he was misused. Its exactly what Ernie said as well. I loved the guy as a player....Great Giant.Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Did I miss any??Ditto.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8H8OTxbvPg</P>

[:D]</P>

thomsoad
07-13-2012, 12:42 PM

Not trying to sound like a smartass here but how did KG misuse a 6'4 260lb runningback by putting him in short goal situations?

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Not trying to sound like a smartass here but how did KG misuse a 6'4 260lb runningback by putting him in short goal situations?
Because he's an upright runner who has always needed a seem to be effective. Or he needed a head of steam. Effective short yardage players run low to the ground with great leverage. He's actually very fast, but doesn't have short burst ability. And thats what you need to be an effective short yardage runner. Once he gets in the open field, thats actually when he's at his best. His best runs have always come once he has a head of steam. Its just who he is.
I remember an interview with Ernie saying that exact thing. he always insisted that he was never a short yardage specialist.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Because he's an upright runner who has always needed a seem to be effective. Or he needed a head of steam. Effective short yardage players run low to the ground with great leverage. He's actually very fast, but doesn't have short burst ability. And thats what you need to be an effective short yardage runner. Once he gets in the open field, thats actually when he's at his best. His best runs have always come once he has a head of steam. Its just who he is.
I remember an interview with Ernie saying that exact thing. he always insisted that he was never a short yardage specialist.

In his rookie year, BJ had a 85% success rate at converting short-yardage situations...much of which was done by basically jamming him up the middle.

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 12:55 PM

In his rookie year, BJ had a 85% success rate at converting short-yardage situations...much of which was done by basically jamming him up the middle.
What about all the other seasons. Hey he was a fine player. But the myth is that because he was 260 lbs. he is by definition a short yardage back. His running style goes against that. He's a tailback. He's actually a better open field runner than anything else.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 01:01 PM

What about all the other seasons. Hey he was a fine player. But the myth is that because he was 260 lbs. he is by definition a short yardage back. His running style goes against that. He's a tailback. He's actually a better open field runner than anything else.

I never said that he was "by definition a short yardage back"...I am a huge fan of his as a starting tailback. My point was to say that he was effective as a short yardage back. What happened in the other years? Defenses started loading up against him more in those situations, daring the Giants to try to do something different....

sharick88
07-13-2012, 02:25 PM
I think some of us take players leaving waaaayyyyy too personal. It's strictly business. Jacobs had some great moments for us. I thank him for his service for the giants and wish him the best in his future endeavors. He did not throw anyone under the bus on his way out and has said nothing but great things about the giants.

THE_New_York_Giants
07-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Even Emmitt Smith was let go eventually...

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 02:34 PM

I never said that he was "by definition a short yardage back"...I am a huge fan of his as a starting tailback. My point was to say that he was effective as a short yardage back. What happened in the other years? Defenses started loading up against him more in those situations, daring the Giants to try to do something different....
The entire purpose of short yardage is to gain a yard or two when they are loading up on it. Thats why you need a guy who is low to the ground with a lot of power and leverage. And I never said you said anything. Someone asked me how a guy of BJ's size is misused as a short yardage back, and I answered.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 02:40 PM

The entire purpose of short yardage is to gain a yard or two when they are loading up on it. Thats why you need a guy who is low to the ground with a lot of power and leverage. And I never said you said anything. Someone asked me how a guy of BJ's size is misused as a short yardage back, and I answered.

"Low to the ground and with power and leverage" is one way that it works. Big mass with some speed is another way (see Refrigerator Perry as an example). Good at finding seams and slicing thru them is another (eg. Marcus Allen). And quick/shifty is yet another (see Tiki Barber, who was actually quite good at short yardage conversations). Each one of these types can be "loaded up" on. Most are actually more dependent on the Oline than the actual HB.

buffyblue
07-13-2012, 02:46 PM
With that great offensive line in San Francisco, look for Brandon Jacobs to average over 4 yards per carry this season. That is a hungry team and BJ is still hungry amd full of fire.

The biggest problem with our run game this past season was our miserable offensive line.

BJ came up big for is in the postseason as well as being a great lockrroom presense. He was a huge part of our SuperBowl victory. With all the pay cuts BJ took to help the team it is a shame NY Giants didn't pay him the 500k. If BJ had gotten paid then we could have used that 1st round pick on an O lineman.

buffyblue
07-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Tiki Barber may have all the stats but I take Brandon Jacobs over him everytime. BJ will always be remembered as a Great NY Giant. Tiki never will.

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 02:49 PM

"Low to the ground and with power and leverage" is one way that it works. Big mass with some speed is another way (see Refrigerator Perry as an example). Good at finding seams and slicing thru them is another (eg. Marcus Allen). And quick/shifty is yet another (see Tiki Barber, who was actually quite good at short yardage conversations). Each one of these types can be "loaded up" on. Most are actually more dependent on the Oline than the actual HB.
The problem with BJ is that while he is actually very fast, it takes him a bit to get there. He needs to get a head of steam going to use his power. A lot of these short yardage guys are guys who either hit the hole very fast, or hit the hole with a powerful burst. These are not BJ's specialties. But he's a great open field runner. No one wants to tackle a guy that fast and that big in the open field.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Tiki Barber may have all the stats but I take Brandon Jacobs over him everytime. BJ will always be remembered as a Great NY Giant. Tiki never will.

For me, Rodney Hampton is the best HB in Giant history...too bad his career was shortened playing for Dan Reeves...

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 02:59 PM

For me, Rodney Hampton is the best HB in Giant history...too bad his career was shortened playing for Dan Reeves...
Love him or hate him, Tiki was by far the best RB in Giants history. I've made my feelings well known over the years about what I think of him personally, but the guy was great.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 03:01 PM

Love him or hate him, Tiki was by far the best RB in Giants history. I've made my feelings well known over the years about what I think of him personally, but the guy was great.

I prefer Rodney, as I have a preference for HBs who have prototypical size and speed. Tiki was a great HB, no doubt...but if I was to start a team, I would go with Rodney over Tiki for sure...

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 03:05 PM

I prefer Rodney, as I have a preference for HBs who have prototypical size and speed. Tiki was a great HB, no doubt...but if I was to start a team, I would go with Rodney over Tiki for sure...
The modern game has backs that are a tad smaller. Even back then, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders were more like Tiki's size. Plus later in his career, Tiki became one of the strongest RB's in the game. His leg strenth was amazing. Plus he was great catching passes out of the backfield. Thats a skill we haven't come close to since he left.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM

The modern game has backs that are a tad smaller. Even back then, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders were more like Tiki's size. Plus later in his career, Tiki became one of the strongest RB's in the game. His leg strenth was amazing. Plus he was great catching passes out of the backfield. Thats a skill we haven't come close to since he left.

Both Emmitt and Barry were Tiki's height, but both were significantly more stout...and Emmitt's running style was more prototypical of a big feature HB. And even then, my preference would be Bo Jackson over either of those guys. Its one of the reasons why I've never been sold on Bradshaw as the Giants' starting HB these last few years...

And yes...Tiki was very strong. Big kudos to Greg Comella for getting Tiki into the whole strength/conditioning off-season workout thing, because prior to that, Tiki was not very strong at all...he was one of those guys who went into a hole with great speed but never had enough strength to come out the other side. Once he started with his off-season training, he made it through the other side consistently...

BeatYale
07-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Anyone else feel that there's been too much Giants related news surrounding Jacobs considering he's no longer with the team? Like him sticking up for Eli recently, meeting up with the kid who sent him money, the gesture to buy back LT's super bowl ring etc.

I don't have a problem with it, I just wonder if 49er fans question whether his heart is really in San Francisco?

FBomb
07-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Anyone else feel that there's been too much Giants related news surrounding Jacobs considering he's no longer with the team? Like him sticking up for Eli recently, meeting up with the kid who sent him money, the gesture to buy back LT's super bowl ring etc. I don't have a problem with it, I just wonder if 49er fans question whether his heart is really in San Francisco?</P>

I think it's pretty obvious where his heart is.</P>

burier
07-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Both Emmitt and Barry were Tiki's height, but both were significantly more stout...and Emmitt's running style was more prototypical of a big feature HB. And even then, my preference would be Bo Jackson over either of those guys. Its one of the reasons why I've never been sold on Bradshaw as the Giants' starting HB these last few years...

And yes...Tiki was very strong. Big kudos to Greg Comella for getting Tiki into the whole strength/conditioning off-season workout thing, because prior to that, Tiki was not very strong at all...he was one of those guys who went into a hole with great speed but never had enough strength to come out the other side. Once he started with his off-season training, he made it through the other side consistently...

Did you just say you'd take Bo jackson over Barry Sanders?

"When I grow up, I want to run like Barry Sanders" - Bo Jackson.

buffyblue
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Anyone else feel that there's been too much Giants related news surrounding Jacobs considering he's no longer with the team? Like him sticking up for Eli recently, meeting up with the kid who sent him money, the gesture to buy back LT's super bowl ring etc.

I don't have a problem with it, I just wonder if 49er fans question whether his heart is really in San Francisco?

buffyblue
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM

Hopefully San Francisco 49ers question where his heart is and they release him and we quickly sign him back.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Yes...a 6'1" 230lb version of Barry Sanders is preferable to the 5'9" 200lb version...

burier
07-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Yes...a 6'1" 230lb version of Barry Sanders is preferable to the 5'9" 200lb version...

The 6'1 230 version of Barry Sanders doesn't exist.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 05:07 PM

True...Bo Jackson was in a class by himself...

burier
07-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Umm...yeah. Bo was in class by himself and that class was head and shoulders below Barry's class.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Umm...yeah. Bo was in class by himself and that class was head and shoulders below Barry's class.

Can't agree with you there...

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 05:43 PM

You think Bo Jackson was as good or even better than Barry Sanders? That can't be true.

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 05:49 PM

You think Bo Jackson was as good or even better than Barry Sanders? That can't be true.

I think that if Bo Jackson was able to stay healthy and focus on just football, he would have been the best RB ever.

Morehead State
07-13-2012, 07:05 PM

I think that if Bo Jackson was able to stay healthy and focus on just football, he would have been the best RB ever.
great back. Didn't have the wiggle.

zimonami
07-13-2012, 07:08 PM

First let's all agree that Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson had two totally different styles. Bo had BJacobs power, with the best moves a big man ever had, and that includes Jim Brown.
Walter Peyton and Gale Sayers had close to the moves that Barry Sanders had, but Barry was the best, in my mind
Yet, I'm going to agree with yoeddy... I think if Bo could have played healthy for as many seasons as Barry, Bo would have been the all-time greatest.

Neverend
07-13-2012, 08:45 PM
No offense to jacobs, but I think he's only telling half the story. Not calling him a liar, since technically he isnt lying, but it may not as clear cut as he's making it out to be

My theory is that the main diff was guaranteed money. Perhaps jacobs wnted 500,000 in guaranteed money whereas the Giants didn't offer any at all.

I just can't see how two sides can't negociate a difference of a few hundred thousand dollars in salary. That doesnt make sense to me. It had to be the guaranteed money. Maybe the Giants only offered incentives? I dunno

Toadofsteel
07-13-2012, 09:33 PM

Hopefully San Francisco 49ers question where his heart is and they release him and we quickly sign him back.

It would be pretty funny if he ends up getting cut by SF (he IS competing for a roster spot with Gore, Hunter, and one other guy whose name escapes me at the moment), and then gets a Blackburn deal mid-season... it's not like Bradshaw has a 100% chance of staying healthy if he has to go it alone...

yoeddy
07-13-2012, 10:27 PM

great back. Didn't have the wiggle.

230lb HB with 4.1 speed didn't need the wiggle (though he did have it)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0GCixb2QjI

yoeddy
07-14-2012, 08:05 AM

First let's all agree that Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson had two totally different styles. Bo had BJacobs power, with the best moves a big man ever had, and that includes Jim Brown.
Walter Peyton and Gale Sayers had close to the moves that Barry Sanders had, but Barry was the best, in my mind
Yet, I'm going to agree with yoeddy... I think if Bo could have played healthy for as many seasons as Barry, Bo would have been the all-time greatest.

In 4 seasons, playing only part of the season due to commitments to baseball, Bo averaged 5.4 yards per carry (total of 38 games). This was without ever attending a training camp or any kind of practice prior to October of each season....basically walked in at week 6 of each season and played. Imagine how great he would have been if football was the only sport he played....

yoeddy
07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
I could watch this forever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtI4Q2nB3D8

Diamondring
07-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Chances are he will be one and done with San Francisco and he will come back and retire as a Giant. Best of luck to him this year except when they play us.I beg to differ cause in the running game, the O-line and the play that is called are suppose to have less defenders get through by a certain percentage. The Giants O-line didn't block that well but you can see that in the playoffs, Jacobs ran very well and the O-line blocked good enough for BJ to do some real good running. That happened cause there were not that many defenders. A player can only handle a certain amount of defenders. Sometimes it is not how many defenders a offender have to go up against but who?. He will do good with the 49ers if their bvlocking is decent enough for Jacobs to do damane and I feel that it is able to give him protection.

B&RWarrior
07-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Chances are he will be one and done with San Francisco and he will come back and retire as a Giant. Best of luck to him this year except when they play us.I beg to differ cause in the running game, the O-line and the play that is called are suppose to have less defenders get through by a certain percentage. The Giants O-line didn't block that well but you can see that in the playoffs, Jacobs ran very well and the O-line blocked good enough for BJ to do some real good running. That happened cause there were not that many defenders. A player can only handle a certain amount of defenders. Sometimes it is not how many defenders a offender have to go up against but who?. He will do good with the 49ers if their bvlocking is decent enough for Jacobs to do damane and I feel that it is able to give him protection.

At his best Jacobs is a north and south guy, not even a one-cut runner. His style of running is conducive to a good run blocking o-line. AB can have success behind an average line because of how elusive he is and his ability to cut on a dime.

BJ's move to San Fran made all the sense in the world. In the wilight of his career he should be worried about money and trying to extend his career. He's playing behind an injury prone back just like he was in NY, except it's for more money and a much better run blocking Oline in a run oriented offense.

To say $500,000 is not a lot of money is assinine. When every football player retires they join the ranks of the everyday man. An extra $500,000 is a lot of money for the everyday man.

gmen0820
07-14-2012, 12:26 PM
It's small because in hindsight, it's only .5 million he gained from leaving, which I'm guessing isn't a lot to him. It speaks more to Jacobs perception of himself if he is hinting at regretting the move because I'm sure Jacobs thought he could garner much more interest on the free agent market.

yoeddy
07-14-2012, 04:07 PM
It's small because in hindsight, it's only .5 million he gained from leaving, which I'm guessing isn't a lot to him. It speaks more to Jacobs perception of himself if he is hinting at regretting the move because I'm sure Jacobs thought he could garner much more interest on the free agent market.

I think with all the restructuring and salary reductions Jacobs took trying to help the Giants re-sign Bradshaw, work with the cap, etc, he probably felt like yet-another-$500K-reduction was the team not recognizing that he did all the above in some level of good-faith. I mean...how many times does he take a pay cut before he thinks "waitaminute...are they taking advantage of me?" I know that if my boss kept asking me to take pay cuts in the name of trying to help the team, there would be a point where I would ask myself if they were asking too much...

gmen46
07-14-2012, 04:31 PM

I think with all the restructuring and salary reductions Jacobs took trying to help the Giants re-sign Bradshaw, work with the cap, etc, he probably felt like yet-another-$500K-reduction was the team not recognizing that he did all the above in some level of good-faith. I mean...how many times does he take a pay cut before he thinks "waitaminute...are they taking advantage of me?" I know that if my boss kept asking me to take pay cuts in the name of trying to help the team, there would be a point where I would ask myself if they were asking too much...

I think that's exactly what happened. It --at least in part -- ultimately came down to a matter of respect, rightly or wrongly. From the outside looking in, I'm not suggesting that Reese or anyone else on the Giants had a lack of respect for Jacobs. I don't believe for a minute that is the case.

But from Jacobs' perspective the 2nd consecutive year demand to take yet another hefty pay cut could have been just too much.

Even so, he publicly said he would be willing to accept another pay cut. But everyone has a need for dignity, and being treated as such. And everyone has their own line that can't be crossed without feeling disrespected. Obviously, to Jacobs' mind, that line was finally crossed during the restructuring talks. So he opted to walk.

And he landed with a team that's a strong contender, and apparently is being paid about what he would have been happy with as a Giant for 1 more year.

Neither side can be faulted, in my opinion. A win-win, actually.

buffyblue
07-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Actually I think it ia more of a knock on NY Giants that wouldn't fork over 500k to a Great NY Giant that has taken pay cuts previously to help Team.

zimonami
07-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Actually I think it ia more of a knock on NY Giants that wouldn't fork over 500k to a Great NY Giant that has taken pay cuts previously to help Team.
Unfortunately, teams don't pay for gratitude. If they did, BJ would have gotten his.
It's like BRWarrior pointed out. BJ is north/south and we don't have the good blockers to give him that decent initial hole. Giants realized he wouldn't be effective again, like last year, because of it, and didn't want to up the ante to keep him.
If he's going to have a nice year, going to SF will give him that shot as their line blocks for the run better. SF needs that running balance because I don't think that highly of Smith.

shockeyg
07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I heard after the draft that the Giants had Wilson and double R ranked even but went with Wilson. If Jacobs would have taken less and stayed do you think we still take Wilson in the first ?

zimonami
07-14-2012, 11:57 PM
I heard after the draft that the Giants had Wilson and double R ranked even but went with Wilson. If Jacobs would have taken less and stayed do you think we still take Wilson in the first ?
I understand your point... but, I think we still draft Wilson. Runners like BJ often wear down by now. I don't think we blocked well last year, but I think BJ was a half step slower, and didn't lower his pads and challenge defenders as he had in the past with unrelenting leg drive.
If the Giants and BJ agreed on a contract, I think they still realize they need a top flight back in 2-3 years when AB wears down., and that BJ likely won't even be playing then. You can't wait to that point and then draft a rookie.
The Giants were $500,000 less than SF for a reason... they weren't THAT anxious for BJ to wear out on our team, angry that he wasn't getting a chance... harsh reality.
BJ gave us his all and shared 2 SB's with the Giants. I am grateful for his service... Good luck.

yoeddy
07-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Even if Jacobs stayed, I think Bradshaw's foot issues were prevalent enough that made a HB a priority over WR...

FBomb
07-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I heard after the draft that the Giants had Wilson and double R ranked even but went with Wilson. If Jacobs would have taken less and stayed do you think we still take Wilson in the first ? I understand your point... but, I think we still draft Wilson. Runners like BJ often wear down by now. I don't think we blocked well last year, but I think BJ was a half step slower, and didn't lower his pads and challenge defenders as he had in the past with unrelenting leg drive. If the Giants and BJ agreed on a contract, I think they still realize they need a top flight back in 2-3 years when AB wears down., and that BJ likely won't even be playing then. You can't wait to that point and then draft a rookie. The Giants were $500,000 less than SF for a reason... they weren't THAT anxious for BJ to wear out on our team, angry that he wasn't getting a chance... harsh reality. BJ gave us his all and shared 2 SB's with the Giants. I am grateful for his service... Good luck.</P>

this</P>

RagTime Blue
07-15-2012, 03:08 PM
I could watch this forever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtI4Q2nB3D8

Damn, amazing watching so many DB's not being able to catch a 230# man from behind.

I honestly forgot how good Bo was. Thanks for the reminder. Wish I had Tecmo Bowl ready to go now.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww190/RagTimeBlue/confidence-bo-jackson.jpg