PDA

View Full Version : Giants In 2008, Amani Toomer, Plaxico Burress

Antwuan
07-15-2012, 05:56 PM
I was listening to Amani Toomer on the podcast on youtube where he said Romo was better than Eli.

Amani Tommer also said that in 2008 that what happened with the Giants in 2008 was that they were basically tired out by the end of the season. Amani Toomer was asked if Plaxico Burress wouldn't have shot himself would the Giants have repeated. He said Plax would have helped but the Giants were tired out. And as we know the Giants started out 11-1 before Plax shot himself.

My thing here what Amani saying that is that the Giants had 2 weeks to prepare for the Eagles. I can somewhat understand what Amani is saying but when you have 2 weeks to prepare for an opponent you can't use that. Im not saying the Giants weren't tired or anything because they probably were. If Amani would have said that the Giants lost some momentum it wouldn't be as bad as saying they were tired.

Do You Think The Giants Looked Tired In Their Last Couple Of Games Down The Stretch In The 2008 Season?

NYG 5
07-15-2012, 06:32 PM
defensively, a little bit. offensively, yes. the whole year was power run, power run, power run. eventually, that wears on you. the offensive line went from knocking everyone off the ball (even if the defense stacked the line), to hitting brick walls.

for example, O'Hara's true decline started in 2009, and it was basically an extension of his 2008 fatigue. I don't think Snee has ever looked as good as he did in 2004-2007 either.

if you want to look at that Eagles debacle, watch the 4th and 2 play. in november they run it right up the gut and get 4 yards, then do it again and again. that game, Jacobs runs into a wall. you can also look at how the Cowboys racked up 8 sacks in Dallas and just manhandled the Giants all game. having Plax definitely would have helped too. I think the coaches did very poorly adjusting when the offense started faltering.

at least Toomer speaks the truth when theres no drama publicity to be gained from it.

EJ Blue
07-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Honestly, I haven't gone back and looked at any tape of that season. However, based purely from my memory, I don't believe the Giants looked tired. I felt like from the time Plax became unavailable, Eli was just downright awful, and the only WR making plays was Hixon. It looked like the team couldn't find a way to make the proper adjusments to be successful once Plax was gone that season.

slipknottin
07-15-2012, 07:29 PM
they sure looked tired to me.

The depth everywhere had worn thin by the playoffs.

Cool Papa B.
07-15-2012, 07:44 PM
They didn't look tired to me. The offense without Plaxico just looked out of wack to me. Plax demanded double coverage and that opened things up for the othe WR's and RBs.

And the definitely didn't look tired vs. Philly IMO. Philly was well prepared for that game. Their running game anchored by Westbrook and McNabb's QB play kept the Giants defense off guard all day long. They outplayed us that day and the offense could not make the adjustment to life without Plax.

Once again I disagree with Toomer.

gmen46
07-15-2012, 08:16 PM
This was pretty much consensus of press and of the FO, from what I recall. There was no real depth on DL and LB positions, and it showed wear and tear by December.

This is not news, so I don't know why anyone would be upset w / Toomer for reiterating it.

And it certainly makes a lot more sense than believing the 1-4 swoon of Dec-Jan was ALL due to Plax shooting himself, as so many on this board have been claiming for over 3 years.

Why else did Reese spend all his FA money that off season on DL and LB?

MikeSherrard
07-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Amani is the one that Looked tired!...I remember it vividly!

miked1958
07-15-2012, 11:14 PM
I'd say are defensive line ran out of gas late in season. They were not generating any pressure or getting near the QB. That gave opponents time to pick us apart

JJC7301
07-15-2012, 11:14 PM

+1. They had a great '09 season, but losing Strahan (retirement), Shockey (demanded trade), Osi (injured entire season), and Plax (self-inflicted gun wound) destroyed their depth. I wasn't surprised that they were one-and-done in the playoffs.

And yes, they looked tired to me by the end of the year. I was still upset, though, when they sat Eli in the final regular season game against the Vikings and wound up losing a game that they had in hand in the 1st half. I'm not saying that it cost them a SB, but I think that it sets bad precedent for the playoffs when you apply the brakes.

appodictic
07-15-2012, 11:20 PM

+1. They had a great '09 season, but losing Strahan (retirement), Shockey (demanded trade), Osi (injured entire season), and Plax (self-inflicted gun wound) destroyed their depth. I wasn't surprised that they were one-and-done in the playoffs.

And yes, they looked tired to me by the end of the year. I was still upset, though, when they sat Eli in the final regular season game against the Vikings and wound up losing a game that they had in hand in the 1st half. I'm not saying that it cost them a SB, but I think that it sets bad precedent for the playoffs when you apply the brakes.

I do not remember them "having" the game. The final score was less then 25 for both teams and the Vikings totally sucked that year. That game was trying to get the training wheels off or WR core or the playoffs. They failed there and they failed in the playoffs. Maybe if manningham had been more ready at the time we could have gotten past the eagles, but without Plax we had no viable WR threats.

SweetZombieJesus
07-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Toomer was on the outs in 2008 and falling out of favor with the coaching staff.

If I recall AP was getting exploited time and time again in that 2008 collapse and the Eagles feasted on it in the playoff game. Kawika Mitchell, where art thou?

I'll bet they were tired but I bet they were tired in 2011 too. I will go to my grave convinced it was the mental aspects of losing one of the most important team members to something so stupid that sunk the ship. To quote Yogi, 90% of the game is half mental.

SweetZombieJesus
07-16-2012, 06:25 AM
I was still upset, though, when they sat Eli in the final regular season game against the Vikings and wound up losing a game that they had in hand in the 1st half. I'm not saying that it cost them a SB, but I think that it sets bad precedent for the playoffs when you apply the brakes.

Ditto, especially when one year earlier Coughlin talks about playing in that week 17 Patriots game, how all he talks about is winning how is he going to sit his guys...

yoeddy
07-16-2012, 07:24 AM
I was listening to Amani Toomer on the podcast on youtube where he said Romo was better than Eli.

Amani Tommer also said that in 2008 that what happened with the Giants in 2008 was that they were basically tired out by the end of the season. Amani Toomer was asked if Plaxico Burress wouldn't have shot himself would the Giants have repeated. He said Plax would have helped but the Giants were tired out. And as we know the Giants started out 11-1 before Plax shot himself.

My thing here what Amani saying that is that the Giants had 2 weeks to prepare for the Eagles. I can somewhat understand what Amani is saying but when you have 2 weeks to prepare for an opponent you can't use that. Im not saying the Giants weren't tired or anything because they probably were. If Amani would have said that the Giants lost some momentum it wouldn't be as bad as saying they were tired.

Do You Think The Giants Looked Tired In Their Last Couple Of Games Down The Stretch In The 2008 Season?

I think Toomer was tired out...and the coaches recognized it, so they tried to give him a rest and go more to the younger receivers. Then Toomer got upset because they were going more to the younger receivers....

burier
07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
tried out?

I'm sorry, did the Giants play more games than the other 31 teams?

Amani Toomer is annoying.

TrueBlue@NYC
07-16-2012, 02:28 PM
The defensive line definitly wore down by the end of that year. Both Tuck and Kiwi had played a ton of snaps, which would wear down even the best DLman over the course of a season, but neither had been a full time starter previously so they obviously werent ready for the grind to that level. </P>

Overall the team was lucky during the season to remain relatively healthy, but the overall lack of depth that year broke the team down. It simply could not continue to overcome the loss of so many good players. </P>

TrueBlue@NYC
07-16-2012, 02:31 PM
And while I love Toomer as a player, he's shown alot of hints of bitterness about how his career ended with us. </P>

Starting with that interview after the 2008 season where he basically accused the coaches of underutilizing him, meanwhile it was obvious by then he wasn't effective anymore when teams knew he couldn't go over the time. </P>

Then with his comments in regards to Eli and Romo, and now with the comment about the 2008 season. Just seems like he's still carrying alot of bitterness about how he was let go and couldn't catch on with another team. </P>

burier
07-16-2012, 02:43 PM
The defensive line definitly wore down by the end of that year. Both Tuck and Kiwi had played a ton of snaps, which would wear down even the best DLman over the course of a season, but neither had been a full time starter previously so they obviously werent ready for the grind to that level. </P>

Overall the team was lucky during the season to remain relatively healthy, but the overall lack of depth that year broke the team down. It simply could not continue to overcome the loss of so many good players. </P>

funny you say that because I never remember Strahan looking worn out and I'm sure he played more snaps on a regular than Tuck ever thought about playing in his life.

Especially in 2008 of all seasons, when we were running the ball on everyone. Most weeks the D was just hanging out on the sideline waiting for their turn to go and rush the passer.

Toomer was probably tired because he got old and he should speak for himself.

yoeddy
07-16-2012, 05:41 PM
And while I love Toomer as a player, he's shown alot of hints of bitterness about how his career ended with us. </P>

Starting with that interview after the 2008 season where he basically accused the coaches of underutilizing him, meanwhile it was obvious by then he wasn't effective anymore when teams knew he couldn't go over the time. </P>

Then with his comments in regards to Eli and Romo, and now with the comment about the 2008 season. Just seems like he's still carrying alot of bitterness about how he was let go and couldn't catch on with another team. </P>

I actually don't think his comments about Eli vs. Romo were made from bitterness...but rather that he wanted to show that he did some homework about Romo's stats...I doubt it was ill-intentioned, especially after he noted that Eli was the only guy to call him and thank him for his time with the Giants after Toomer was let go.