PDA

View Full Version : Why the new boards?

Roosevelt
07-23-2012, 11:57 PM
No disrespect intended but why did you change the boards only to keep the same format?

moo
07-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Vastly increased functionality and usability, perhaps? They're also far more aesthetically pleasing.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Vastly increased functionality and usability, perhaps? They're also far more aesthetically pleasing.

Vastly? (and now the gibberish to create the necessary character count to post)

gmen0820
07-24-2012, 12:07 AM
What do you mean by "same format"? This board is, technically speaking, way more advanced than the previous one -- that is why it was changed. What were they supposed to add/edit?

moo
07-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Vastly? (and now the gibberish to create the necessary character count to post)
Auto hyperlinking, video embedding, attachments, a smoother reply function, a search function which actually works, easier formatting options, a useable private messaging system, an ignore feature, thread ratings...

It looks a whole lot cleaner, is faster and is a lot easier to use.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 12:10 AM
What do you mean by "same format"? This board is, technically speaking, way more advanced than the previous one -- that is why it was changed. What were they supposed to add/edit?

The categories are basically all the same. NFL talk should not be in a general sports section for instance.

miked1958
07-24-2012, 12:14 AM
I like the new boards

moo
07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
NFL talk should not be in a general sports section for instance.
Actually, it should:

General Sports
Have something to discuss about another NFL team? Maybe some MLB, NBA, or NHL news to share, or simply some random sports related information to discuss? Bring it in here!
Same as with the last boards.

Just noticed that the reply function no longer quotes the entire conversation string. I thank the baby Jesus for that. It was always a pain having to scroll past insanely large posts.

davepc
07-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Because they're night and day better then the old ones?

BaldawgBites
07-24-2012, 12:42 AM
No disrespect intended but why did you change the boards only to keep the same format?

Because the old board sucked harder than shEli Rainmanning at the Local Queer bar.

titwio
07-24-2012, 12:49 AM
The categories are basically all the same. NFL talk should not be in a general sports section for instance.

You'll come around. I was skeptical when I first saw them too but they ​are way more advanced and the software is much better. Just mess around with it and you'll see.

barran21
07-24-2012, 12:57 AM
This forum is up to date, the last one from from 1997, lol.

Harooni
07-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Aliens??????

gmen0820
07-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Aliens??????

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/848/ancient-aliens.jpg

Harooni
07-24-2012, 01:30 AM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/848/ancient-aliens.jpg rofl haaaaaaaaaaaa

Harooni
07-24-2012, 01:35 AM
sig test ....

bigjeep
07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Board has a very washed out appearance! The emotions suck! I'm hitting reply, but I'm getting quick reply? Can we go back?

gumby74
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I like the new ones, mainly because it's less clunky when using that editor when you post. It also has a faster loading time i find. I'm a fan!

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes, there are some nice features no doubt, but the emoticons do suck and why are we forced to type 10 characters to be able to reply?

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, there are some nice features no doubt, but the emoticons do suck and why are we forced to type 10 characters to be able to reply?

**** should be easy to change. Emoticons can be added on, but I have no idea about the 10chars. That kind of sucks in some way, but then again it solves killing off stupid replies.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Is it wrong to rate your own thread? :eek:

moo
07-24-2012, 12:04 PM
I have no idea about the 10chars. That kind of sucks in some way, but then again it solves killing off stupid replies.
Yeah, I think guarding against content-less posts is a good thing.

No, but if you do it too much you'll go blind.

gumby74
07-24-2012, 12:55 PM

I think Eli threads are only allowed to be rated.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I think Eli threads are only allowed to be rated.

Eli's threads are all underrated. :cool:

What's up with these lame emoticons? We are Super Bowl Champs. This must not be tolerated!

gumby74
07-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Mods:

Here's a link to a huge collection of smilies!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Mods:

Here's a link to a huge collection of smilies!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-finger002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Thanks dude

gumby74
07-24-2012, 01:52 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-finger002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Thanks dude
I think I'm going to find excuses to post in every thread just so i can use some of those. Haha.

gumby74
07-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Sorry Mods. Didn't mean to bypass filter.

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
It's open and ready to be used whenever I need them

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance016.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

RoanokeFan
07-24-2012, 01:53 PM

The changes are really significant but the categories, I think, are issues that can be pretty easily resolved. I'm not sure where else you would put NFL talk if not in General Sports or Smack Talk depending on the topic. TAGF is for TAGF only. Do you feel there should be a Forum for NFL ?

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Should be

1.TAGF
2. GENERAL SPORTS (NHL, NBA, ETC. )
3. NFL TALK (for around the NFL discussions)
4. Smack talk - just anyone who wants to talk ****

Mod_C
07-24-2012, 01:57 PM
I think I'm going to find excuses to post in every thread just so i can use some of those. Haha.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

For everyone's benefit, this is not acceptable. I realize we're all trying new things but profanity is a bannable offense. No, you aren't going to be for this one as we didn't see this as an issue until now.

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 01:58 PM
For everyone's benefit, this is not acceptable. I realize we're all trying new things but profanity is a bannable offense. No, you aren't going to be for this one as we didn't see this as an issue until now.

How about sending private messages?

gumby74
07-24-2012, 02:01 PM

I didn't realize it until too late. I'll edit my original post.

Mod_C
07-24-2012, 02:03 PM
How about sending private messages?

Normally we would, but we are all getting familiar with the new process so everyone needed to understand it's not acceptable. No hard is coming to the poster involved.

Mod_C
07-24-2012, 02:04 PM
I didn't realize it until too late. I'll edit my original post.

Thanks you.

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Normally we would, but we are all getting familiar with the new process so everyone needed to understand it's not acceptable. No hard is coming to the poster involved.

I'm talking to replying to my private message. I'm not sure if it's not working on your end, but I did send a private message to you

Morehead State
07-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Auto hyperlinking, video embedding, attachments, a smoother reply function, a search function which actually works, easier formatting options, a useable private messaging system, an ignore feature, thread ratings...

It looks a whole lot cleaner, is faster and is a lot easier to use.
Who cares about most of that stuff. It seems that I now have no page that lists all the current threads like I had in the old format. So now I don't have a list of the most recent threads I've been on nor the current threads on the boards. Thats a huge shortcoming. In general these new boards seem a lot more difficult to navigate. Plus it also seems that I can't use bold fonts or larger type at any time like the old boards. Am I wrong?

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Who cares about most of that stuff. It seems that I now have no page that lists all the current threads like I had in the old format. So now I don't have a list of the most recent threads I've been on nor the current threads on the boards. Thats a huge shortcoming. In general these new boards seem a lot more difficult to navigate. Plus it also seems that I can't use bold fonts or larger type at any time like the old boards. Am I wrong?

You have to go to Settings and enable "enchancement"

I think you are on the Basic Mode when it comes to font sizes and stuff.

Other than that, this new layout is AWESOME

Morehead State
07-24-2012, 02:57 PM
You have to go to Settings and enable "enchancement"

I think you are on the Basic Mode when it comes to font sizes and stuff.

Other than that, this new layout is AWESOME
OK Thanks for that. Now is there a page that can display all the most recent threads without it being by catagory?

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
OK Thanks for that. Now is there a page that can display all the most recent threads without it being by catagory?

Don't think so; the only way is to click "what's new" and you'll get all the new threads that were posted in

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
The changes are really significant but the categories, I think, are issues that can be pretty easily resolved. I'm not sure where else you would put NFL talk if not in General Sports or Smack Talk depending on the topic. TAGF is for TAGF only. Do you feel there should be a Forum for NFL ?

No doubt RF. I believe football talk is paramount. Plus we always see people posting NFL related threads in TAGF and if (and when) they get moved to General Sports the threads die in a hurry. Right now we have the Shockey To Be An Eagle thread in TAGF. Although it's not on topic, it is something Giants fans are interested in because a) ex-player, b) rival.

Other teams have forums for their own division as well. I think a NFC East forum and a Rest Of The NFL forum would work well.

Thanks for listening.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Check out "What's New" up at the top - right next to Forum.

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
No doubt RF. I believe football talk is paramount. Plus we always see people posting NFL related threads in TAGF and if (and when) they get moved to General Sports the threads die in a hurry. Right now we have the Shockey To Be An Eagle thread in TAGF. Although it's not on topic, it is something Giants fans are interested in because a) ex-player, b) rival.

Other teams have forums for their own division as well. I think a NFC East forum and a Rest Of The NFL forum would work well.

Thanks for listening.

I 2nd that. That would be pretty awesome. But god knows how long it'll take for it to happen

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Should be

1.TAGF
2. GENERAL SPORTS (NHL, NBA, ETC. )
3. NFL TALK (for around the NFL discussions)
4. Smack talk - just anyone who wants to talk ****

or

TAGF - Talk about our beloved Giants
NFC East - Talk about our rivals
NFL - Talk about the rest of the league
General Sports - MLB, NBA, NHL, Synchronized Swimming, etc.

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
or

True, forgot about the NFC east forum. But then where would Patriot fans want to voice their annoying opinions on how we "suck"?

EJ Blue
07-24-2012, 03:31 PM
probably because the old boards were like half a decade outdated...

Morehead State
07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
probably because the old boards were like half a decade outdated...
"Half a decade outdated" still makes them too modern for me.

Drez
07-24-2012, 04:06 PM
or

Here's the thing, though... Would having a seperate NFCE or NFL forum really be any better than just the General Sports as far as threads dying is concerned? Most only read TAGF, so if it isn't in there it'll likely not get much traction. I just don't see how having a separate NFCE or NFL solves that.

MikeIsaGiant
07-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Here's the thing, though... Would having a seperate NFCE or NFL forum really be any better than just the General Sports as far as threads dying is concerned? Most only read TAGF, so if it isn't in there it'll likely not get much traction. I just don't see how having a separate NFCE or NFL solves that.

People only read TAGF? But what about fans who enjoy talking general?

Actually I think this whole point is moot anyway because the whole problem with general sports in the old forums is that the threads would somehow disappear because they didn't get enough attention.

In this forum, I don't think threads disappear.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 04:26 PM

I know I would regularly view those forums. I'm very interested in the NFL. Much more so than the other sports.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
True, forgot about the NFC east forum. But then where would Patriot fans want to voice their annoying opinions on how we "suck"?

Pats fans get to talk in the NFL section as well as TAGF when we play them.

Mod_C
07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Because the old board sucked harder than shEli Rainmanning at the Local Queer bar.

Close to the line there. You can't just say the old board sucked?

Drez
07-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I know I would regularly view those forums. I'm very interested in the NFL. Much more so than the other sports.
That may be true of you, but I'd wager 90% of people that come to the boards almost exclusively look at TAGF. I just don't think creating more specific sub-forums will alleviate the problem of general inactivity outside of TAGF.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 05:55 PM
That may be true of you, but I'd wager 90% of people that come to the boards almost exclusively look at TAGF. I just don't think creating more specific sub-forums will alleviate the problem of general inactivity outside of TAGF.

You are probably right. Perhaps people who want to talk about our rivals go to Smack Talk, which I see no point in.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Hey, did I make your avatar? If it's not mine, I did one similar with a Jet jersey on the bird.

MattMeyerBud
07-24-2012, 06:02 PM
who cares about most of that stuff. It seems that i now have no page that lists all the current threads like i had in the old format. So now i don't have a list of the most recent threads i've been on nor the current threads on the boards. Thats a huge shortcoming. In general these new boards seem a lot more difficult to navigate. Plus it also seems that i can't use bold fonts or larger type at any time like the old boards. Am i wrong?

hahaha i love that you hate it!!!!

Drez
07-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey, did I make your avatar? If it's not mine, I did one similar with a Jet jersey on the bird.
Possibly. I stole it off of here some time ago to torture my Jets fans friends, lol. I'll credit you if you want.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Possibly. I stole it off of here some time ago to torture my Jets fans friends, lol. I'll credit you if you want.

No, that's okay.

Delicreep
07-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Rosie,

I was completely ready to join the "you are nuts" side of the fray, until you mentioned the emoticons.

Fair warning...the use of emoticons is an automatic "turn in your man card" offense.

Got one word for those that disagree...frightninglightning.

Captain Chaos
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM

You keep what works well and get rid of what doesn't, so far I kind of like what I see!

RoanokeFan
07-24-2012, 07:35 PM

See if ADVANCED SEARCH gets you what you want.

Roosevelt
07-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Rosie,

I was completely ready to join the "you are nuts" side of the fray, until you mentioned the emoticons.

Fair warning...the use of emoticons is an automatic "turn in your man card" offense.

This board is far better than what we had, but weren't we asked for our input as for the changes we would like to see?

It seems that other than the new board, everything else remains the same. Except of course these sorry emoticons!

NYG216
07-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Actually, it should:

Same as with the last boards.

Just noticed that the reply function no longer quotes the entire conversation string. I thank the baby Jesus for that. It was always a pain having to scroll past insanely large posts.

I agree. It is much nicer without the scroll.

gumby74
07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Rosie,

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

joemorrisforprez
07-25-2012, 12:48 AM

The old boards were cluttered, slow, and functionally, they blew.

This format is much cleaner, and it's easier to post.

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-25-2012, 12:49 AM
The old boards were cluttered, slow, and functionally, they blew.

This format is much cleaner, and it's easier to post.

The "what's new" tab makes everything easier to post for sure.

Couldn't stand that the old boards did not have that

joemorrisforprez
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
The "what's new" tab makes everything easier to post for sure.

Couldn't stand that the old boards did not have that

Yeah, the new boards are definitely more user-friendly.

GiantVibes
07-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Love the new boards. Embedding youtube will be very useful for draft vids and game highlights. They're also very mac-friendly which the old boards were definitely not.

Harooni
07-25-2012, 01:09 AM
its nice to have a board i can submit a post and it goes through the first time.