PDA

View Full Version : Cruz is not a one year wonder....

SUPERBOWL/BOUND/GIANTS
07-24-2012, 07:40 PM
One thing I think is safe to say is that Cruz is not a one year wonder... not only had he been displaying his kind of talent prior to injuring himself during his rookie year, but the way he managed to make adjustments and improve himself during last season shows that he knows what he has to do, regardless of what defenses do to adjust. His physical talents and concentration on bringing in cacthes, his uncanny ability to control and adjust his body to pull in catches and make smart moves with the ball afterwards over and over again, proves to me that he can do exactly what he wants to do when out there on the field.

I think the offense will make their own adjustments so his productivity may not exactly match what he did last season, for numerous other reason, in example... hopefully a much improved running game, which will take some of the pressure off him and Eli. To me, it seems those two guys bailed the offense out on 3rd down so many times it might have been a little too close for comfort. None the less, they have proved that they can get it done when needed.

All in all... I look for Cruz to keep improving and making a name for himself. Hopefully he will stay healthy and by mid season, the Giants offer him a contract that reflects his value to the team's future.

titwio
07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
One thing I think is safe to say is that Cruz is not a one year wonder...

Not sure if it's safe to say this yet.

SUPERBOWL/BOUND/GIANTS
07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
the only thing that can slow him down would be the only thing that slowed him down his rookie year, an injury.

I remember seeing Gilbride talk about him after the Jets preseason game his rookie year, and he was saying that they were trying to keep Victor a secret because they knew off the jump the guy had the talent, I was pissed off when they put him on IR because they were saving that spot for Hedge**** hoping he would be healthy enough to play later in the season, but he never played and they both ended up on IR, I think Cruz was healthy enough to play later in the season, but they placed him on IR a little too quickly if you ask me.

Captain Chaos
07-24-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't think he will have the same type of year he had last year, probably more like what we saw from him in the playoffs. That said he will have a solid year for us. How free he gets will relate to how well everyone else is playing, TEs, 3rd WR ... If Eli is hitting all of them it will be fun to watch!

redbeardxxv
07-24-2012, 08:20 PM
I do not doubt that Cruz has the talent, and he has the potential to be great. The only things standing in his way are injuries and distractions. I know I'm not the only one that has noted his whirlwind world tour, Oscar appearance, Book release and subsequent signings, etc. and wondered if this would translate poorly. If he keeps his head on straight and stays humble and healthy, the sky's the limit. If he gets it in his head that he's a Superstar, it could go bad. He seems like he'd be inclined to follow in Jerry Rice's footsteps rather than TO's...but there's always a doubt..

IamGiantsfan
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't think he will have the same type of year he had last year, probably more like what we saw from him in the playoffs. That said he will have a solid year for us. How free he gets will relate to how well everyone else is playing, TEs, 3rd WR ... If Eli is hitting all of them it will be fun to watch!
Am I the only person getting tired of hearing this, everyone says it... Screw it, I'm gonna buck the system, I think Victor Cruz will have as good if not better season this year (Statistically).

JimC
07-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Not sure if it's safe to say this yet.

Agree. Especially because he has had lots and lots of distractions this off season. I want to see if he's prepared to play this year.

Giant stuck in Texas
07-24-2012, 11:30 PM
the only thing that can slow him down would be the only thing that slowed him down his rookie year, an injury.

I remember seeing Gilbride talk about him after the Jets preseason game his rookie year, and he was saying that they were trying to keep Victor a secret because they knew off the jump the guy had the talent, I was pissed off when they put him on IR because they were saving that spot for Hedge**** hoping he would be healthy enough to play later in the season, but he never played and they both ended up on IR, I think Cruz was healthy enough to play later in the season, but they placed him on IR a little too quickly if you ask me.

I would have to agree with this assessment.

moo
07-24-2012, 11:46 PM
It's not safe to say that Cruz isn't a one year wonder, because as it stands, that's what he currently is.

Each new season presents a clean slate.

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-24-2012, 11:51 PM
But he wrote a book....

moo
07-25-2012, 12:15 AM
But he wrote a book....
This is true. I hope it's somehow reflected in his Madden rating.

miked1958
07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Am I the only person getting tired of hearing this, everyone says it... Screw it, I'm gonna buck the system, I think Victor Cruz will have as good if not better season this year (Statistically).Well starting off with an unproven 3rd WR and Nicks starting out coming off an injury, Cruz will see tons of double coverage. If he is still able to put up huge numbers with those type odds then watch out..

miked1958
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
But let me say as season rolls on and that 3 rd WR gets comfortable and Nicks heals up, then this WR Corps including the TEs and the RBs out of backfield will be a deadly combo for defenses to try and stop

Rat_bastich
07-25-2012, 01:48 AM
I don't think he is a one year wonder but I doubt he pulls the kind of stats he did last year. With him, Nicks, Bennett, whoever the third is and possibly a Wilson/Bradshaw combo it should come down as the ball is spread out a bit more. I also don't think alot of defenses are going to get torched for 400+ yards this season like they did last.

moo
07-25-2012, 03:59 AM
I don't think he is a one year wonder but I doubt he pulls the kind of stats he did last year. With him, Nicks, Bennett, whoever the third is and possibly a Wilson/Bradshaw combo it should come down as the ball is spread out a bit more. I also don't think alot of defenses are going to get torched for 400+ yards this season like they did last.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. With the skill set Cruz has, I really don't think he's in danger of tailing off dramatically.

alltimegiants
07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Cruz!!!!!!!

greenca190
07-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I could honestly see his production slashed in half this year.

but I'm going to guess 68 catches for 980 yards, 6 touchdowns. Which are still great numbers.

Toadofsteel
07-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Didn't Cruz get a lot of double teams already last season?

That's what I love about having both Nicks and Cruz... double one, the other has a field day. Double both, and it opens up the field dramatically for the 3rd WR, a TE, or a RB to receive a pass. Run massive zone packages and you won't be able to bring Eli down, even with a patchwork O-line, not to mention that Nicks can exploit seams in zone coverage as easily as we can breathe.

GMenNY21
07-25-2012, 02:44 PM
As long as Nicks is ok ,Cruz will still be lethal next year, no doubt

GiantVibes
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
In the words of Pro Bowl CB Carlos Rogers:

"I can't cover no option route all day!"

Cruz will be fine.

GoDeep80
07-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Cruz is not a one year wonder but I wouldn't be surprised if he never had another year that statistically good for the rest of his career. I mean talk about setting the bar high.

BigBlue2010
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
The thing about Cruz's success last year is that while it was his first year, his role has been very successful for several years now.

smoovej15
07-25-2012, 05:20 PM
I recently read an article that he has been so busy he has barely been working out.. That scares me.

Eliscruzzz
07-25-2012, 11:07 PM
This kid is a class act so what if he wrote a book he also turned down dancing with the stars he's in camp now working out with Eli Nicks will be starting in week 1 imho. I think he will put up similar numbers as long as nicks is there too 1200 to 1300 yrds 7TDs

Sovereign
07-26-2012, 12:04 AM
He's not. Cruz is a top tiered route runner who has murdered top tiered CBs in the game. He destroyed Carlos Rodgers and some Giants fans are still scared wondering if he's only good for one year.

This isn't "Linsanity" where he plays 3 percent of the season well. Cruz murdered everyone when we played.

YATittle1962
07-26-2012, 12:18 AM

10 catches for 142 against one of the best Ds in the league

Rat_bastich
07-26-2012, 12:29 AM
If we are expecting our backs to have more than one or two 100 yard games this year then I don't think that he will. I think this year we will have more balance and the ball will make its way around. I don't even think Eli will get as close to 5,000 yards again. This is not a bad thing, it just means they found a happy balance. Last year Brandon Jacobs had one 100 yard game and Bradshaw had one 100 yard game...that was it. Most of the other games were well below. Last year we lived on our passing game. This year since the focus will be more about getting the running game going passing and receiving stats should go down.

As I said previously and many a time, if everything is going the way it should then Cruz and Eli's stats should come down. It's is not a bad thing, it is just what should happen as the Giants rely less on their passing game and use it as a result of a successful running game.

BROADWAYSTORM
07-26-2012, 01:06 AM
He is way too talented.

EliManningHBGPA
07-26-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't think Cruz is a one-year wonder but what I do think is that he may be a product of a good system and a great QB. He has the ability to shake anyone.... as DB's have said last year, that he is impossible to cover in a read and react offensive scheme. I believe his overall numbers will come down but that's only because of a more evenly-distributed passing attack. I believe Bennett at tight end will result in less catches for Cruz.

NickD_25
07-27-2012, 06:51 PM
I love Cruz but he's not a Giants type of player they wont pay this guy what others will be willing to pay him. This is a star not your normal kind of player..

RoanokeFan
07-27-2012, 09:49 PM
I love Cruz but he's not a Giants type of player they wont pay this guy what others will be willing to pay him. This is a star not your normal kind of player..

He's not a "Giants type of player"? In his first playing year he broke the single season receiving record for yards. Don't they pay Eli pretty well?