PDA

View Full Version : Camp preview: Wide receiver

RoanokeFan
07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
CAMP PREVIEW: WIDE RECEIVER (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/15183/camp-preview-wide-receiver)

Excerpt: "Training camp starts tomorrow. Here is the final installment of our position-by-position countdown to Giants camp.

Position: Wide receiver.

Projected starters: Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz.

Projected reserves: Domenik Hixon, Rueben Randle, Ramses Barden and Jerrel Jernigan.

New faces: Randle, Brandon Collins, David Douglas and Julian Talley.

Going, going, gone: Mario Manningham, Devin Thomas and Michael Clayton." Read more

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Very nice depth to be honest, although I am disappointed in losing Manningham(had to be done), and even Devin Thomas.

But with those losses, comes additions.

I can't wait to see some of these players in action.

There are just too many faces fighting for that #3 and #4

juice33s
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Brandon Collins is my dark horse to take out Barden

RoanokeFan
07-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Brandon Collins is my dark horse to take out Barden

Harooni could taker out Barden :rolleyes:

Toadofsteel
07-25-2012, 12:40 PM
No DePalma in that list? Is he still on the team or no?

Captain Chaos
07-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Haven't we had enought of the Barden bashing, I just want to see them get to work...

derekunion28
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
i hav some feeling barden will not do a sinorice moss... he will show up this year

Toadofsteel
07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Haven't we had enought of the Barden bashing, I just want to see them get to work...

I'd love to see Barden getting to work too... been waiting 3 seasons for him to get to work.

middlecountrygiantsfan
07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Im thinking that hixon starts and Randle takes over mid season. Hixon knows this offense, has shown that he can contribute all over the field. But i dont think he can hold off Randle all season. Barden . . not so much

Joe Morrison
07-25-2012, 08:05 PM
What happened to all the hype about Jernigan?

10+88=6
07-25-2012, 09:26 PM
What happened to all the hype about Jernigan?It died last preseason with the dropsies

rainierjef
07-25-2012, 11:35 PM
why isn't depalma on this list?

juice33s
07-25-2012, 11:47 PM
It died last preseason with the dropsies
Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't even make the team this season. With Cruz in the slot and Hixon back to return kicks we really have zero use for him at the moment

Rat_bastich
07-25-2012, 11:52 PM
I'd love to see Barden getting to work too... been waiting 3 seasons for him to get to work.

Here! Here!

lamas
07-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't even make the team this season. With Cruz in the slot and Hixon back to return kicks we really have zero use for him at the moment
His use is for depth. If, God forbid, Cruz or Hixon gets injured, we'd need someone to step in. I don't see JJ getting cut.

10+88=6
07-26-2012, 09:14 AM
His use is for depth. If, God forbid, Cruz or Hixon gets injured, we'd need someone to step in. I don't see JJ getting cut.Yeah but that 3 WR's for the slot I understand the need for depth but how many do we keep...7?

Toadofsteel
07-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Barden is going to get cut before Jernigan does. Jernigan got thrust into the NFL with a strike-shortened offseason; hardly enough time to learn an offense as complicated as ours. Barden has had several years and done nothing to impress. J2 still has chances left, Barden's chance card has been fully punched at this point.

Oh, and if Hixon is used in our 3WR sets, he won't be back to return as much.

NYG_248
07-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Im thinking that hixon starts and Randle takes over mid season. Hixon knows this offense, has shown that he can contribute all over the field. But i dont think he can hold off Randle all season. Barden . . not so muchCouldn't agree more. I think Hixon will win the 3rd spot but Randle will get worked in a lot. Im expecting big things out of Randle...Don't even get me started with Barden. Guy has the body to be a monster WR but he just can't figure his stuff out.

lamas
07-26-2012, 10:15 AM
His use is for depth. If, God forbid, Cruz or Hixon gets injured, we'd need someone to step in. I don't see JJ getting cut.

Yeah but that 3 WR's for the slot I understand the need for depth but how many do we keep...7?

JJ is currently the only backup to Cruz at slot and he would be a possible backup for kick returns if Hixon can't go.

GMENAGAIN
07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
No chance that he gets cut

juice33s
07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
What if Brandon Collins and Dan Depalma come out and have a big pre season while Jernigan once again does nothing, what would be the reasoning for keeping Jernigan over the other two?

lamas
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
What if Brandon Collins and Dan Depalma come out and have a big pre season while Jernigan once again does nothing, what would be the reasoning for keeping Jernigan over the other two?

There would be no reason to keep JJ if he shows "nothing" this preseason. That goes for any player on the roster. It's a position battle and the most useful players will probably win. I just think Jernigan has more versatility so will be kept. I also think that Barden is closer to the edge of being cut than JJ. DePalma could possibly take his spot if he can play special teams.

juice33s
07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
There would be no reason to keep JJ if he shows "nothing" this preseason. That goes for any player on the roster. It's a position battle and the most useful players will probably win. I just think Jernigan has more versatility so will be kept. I also think that Barden is closer to the edge of being cut than JJ. DePalma could possibly take his spot if he can play special teams.
Not at all, virtually every starter on the team could go through the entire pre season and do "nothing" and still make the team. Jernigan is currently 6th on the WR depth chart clearly making him very vulnerable to loosing his job if one of these UDFA's out show him in camp

nycsportzfan
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
CAMP PREVIEW: WIDE RECEIVER (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/15183/camp-preview-wide-receiver)

Excerpt: "Training camp starts tomorrow. Here is the final installment of our position-by-position countdown to Giants camp.

Position: Wide receiver.

Projected starters: Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz.

Projected reserves: Domenik Hixon, Rueben Randle, Ramses Barden and Jerrel Jernigan.

New faces: Randle, Brandon Collins, David Douglas and Julian Talley.

Going, going, gone: Mario Manningham, Devin Thomas and Michael Clayton." Read more Sleeper is Talley.. Just like Cruz, this kid makes catches all over the field, and can take a hit and hold on, as well as make YAC on short/intermediete stuff.. I like Talley as a sleeper, and i like Jerrell Jerrnigan to have biggest preseason, with yr under his belt outta small sun belt confrence, and that nightmarish preseason last yr, in which i think the raw rookie just got totally caught off guard with the pressure of being a rook and then not being able to hold on to the ball, everything just went wrong as can be.. Hes got a fresh slate and yr under his belt now.. I'm expecting much bigger things from the explosive 2nd yr player from Troy..

juice33s
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
No chance that he gets cut
Are you saying an unproven 3rd round pick buried on the depth chart has never been cut before?

nycsportzfan
07-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Not at all, virtually every starter on the team could go through the entire pre season and do "nothing" and still make the team. Jernigan is currently 6th on the WR depth chart clearly making him very vulnerable to loosing his job if one of these UDFA's out show him in campThat depth chart means nothing.. After Nicks and Cruz, its all coming down to performance in camp and preseason, thats gonna decide the depth chart order.. Bottom line, if Jerrnigan plays well, and say Barden dosent, and a UDF does, then its by by to Barden.. Same can be said for Hixon.. Jerrnigan's got the most upside at this point, outta those 3, and probably most overall talent, as the kid can throw it, run it, catch it, and return kicks... Anyone of these guys could be gone if they don't perform, but i expect Jerrnigan to explode this preseason...

juice33s
07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
That depth chart means nothing.. After Nicks and Cruz, its all coming down to performance in camp and preseason, thats gonna decide the depth chart order.. Bottom line, if Jerrnigan plays well, and say Barden dosent, and a UDF does, then its by by to Barden.. Same can be said for Hixon.. Jerrnigan's got the most upside at this point, outta those 3, and probably most overall talent, as the kid can throw it, run it, catch it, and return kicks... Anyone of these guys could be gone if they don't perform, but i expect Jerrnigan to explode this preseason...
Agreed. Nicks, Cruz and Randle are the only WR's with a guaranteed spot on the team this season

Toadofsteel
07-26-2012, 11:47 AM
I still say that Barden will be gone before Jernigan. As far as I'm concerned at this point the order of depth is: 1) Nicks 2) Cruz 3-4) Tie between Hixon and Randle 5) Jernigan 6) Barden 7) Collins 8) Talley. Barden's position is much more in jeopardy than Jernigan's is. Do you guys even remember how abysmal Barden is? He's only totaled 174 yards and 15 rec over 3 seasons. He's had his chances. Jernigan has not. Could Jernigan turn out to be abysmal later on? Yes. But at this point I'd rather take an unproven than a disproven...

GMENAGAIN
07-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Are you saying an unproven 3rd round pick buried on the depth chart has never been cut before?
Nope, just saying that Jernigan will not be cut.

BlueSanta
07-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Assuming we still want Cruz as our primary slot guy(Y) in 3 WR sets, then I find it very interesting that the Giants have brought in so many guys to compete for that backup slot WR position.

Collins, Depalma, JJ, Douglas are all pure slot guys. Talley played inside and out in college but is likely an outside guy for us.

You could also argue Beckum is competing among this group since he did play in the slot when he was on the field and isnt actually a TE.

That said, the fact that we brought in so many guys to compete for 1 position can only mean 1 thing. They aren't convinced about the positional depth. This could mean a lack of confidence in JJ or Beckum, or both.

rainierjef
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
look we don't know who will be cut or not the only ones actually guaranteed spots is nicks and cruz and randle cause hes a 2nd round pick in the last draft. were focused on the wrong thing here.
barden hasn't shown much cause one hes been buried under a good depth list of receivers and his injuries, Hixon have always been good can he elevate to the next level and stay healthy, will Tuelly be a new cruz type break out guy is Depalma our wes welker like speedy slot guy. Collins has the measurable a 45 inch vert at 5'11 and 4.3 speed he can be a pleasant surprise; alot of questions of this group to be answered can't wait.

nycsportzfan
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Agreed. Nicks, Cruz and Randle are the only WR's with a guaranteed spot on the team this season Jerrnigan is not going anywhere... u guys gotta start realizing that just becuase a guy makes a few mistakes in one preseason when hes got a ton of more proven players ahead of him as it is, dosen't mean hes not good.. No one expected jerrnigan to make much of a impact last yr, being a small schoool kid with Mario, nicks, Cruz, barden, all being ahead of him on the depth chart.. The only way he was making a impact is if he had a Cruz type impact in the preseason, which i 'm sure coughlin and Co didn't expect anyways..

In a way, its probably better it worked out the way it did, because then Jerrnigan got to sit back and really learn the speed of the NFL and the upgrade in talent, without having the pressure of playing in the games, or getting hurt in a game and not being able to practice in his all important learning yr.. This kid can do everything on a football field.. Once hes fully adapted to the speed and upgrade in talent, its gonna be fun watching this kid and all the diffrent ways he can beat u on the field..

Hes all ready making a impact this training camp, whcih is no surprise at all..

RoanokeFan
07-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Jerrnigan is not going anywhere... u guys gotta start realizing that just becuase a guy makes a few mistakes in one preseason when hes got a ton of more proven players ahead of him as it is, dosen't mean hes not good.. No one expected jerrnigan to make much of a impact last yr, being a small schoool kid with Mario, nicks, Cruz, barden, all being ahead of him on the depth chart.. The only way he was making a impact is if he had a Cruz type impact in the preseason, which i 'm sure coughlin and Co didn't expect anyways..

In a way, its probably better it worked out the way it did, because then Jerrnigan got to sit back and really learn the speed of the NFL and the upgrade in talent, without having the pressure of playing in the games, or getting hurt in a game and not being able to practice in his all important learning yr.. This kid can do everything on a football field.. Once hes fully adapted to the speed and upgrade in talent, its gonna be fun watching this kid and all the diffrent ways he can beat u on the field..

Hes all ready making a impact this training camp, whcih is no surprise at all..

It's early, no one knows, but many of us are hopeful that our favorites are included in the final 53. This is as it should be.

nycsportzfan
07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
What happened to all the hype about Jernigan? What do u mean? Some of us have been hyping him all offseason, like myself.. hes having a great early season training camp as well... I said when we drafted Randle, that Jerrnigan was gonna be our 3rd WR, and i stand by that.. Jerrnigan is straight electric, and so versatile, its sickning! I wasen't huge on Randle, but i've certainly said a million times how high i am on Jerrnigan, well before we drafted em, and ever since... I can't wait to watch this kid lineup all over the place, and if Gilbride gets creative, do all sorts of things that this team has been known to not be able to do in the past, like trick play here and there, and end arounds, and possibly use Jerrnigan like the Vikes use Percy Harvin.. Thats who Jerrnigan reminds me of, is Percy Harvin..

nycsportzfan
07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
It's early, no one knows, but many of us are hopeful that our favorites are included in the final 53. This is as it should be. Its definetly early, but Jerrnigan is way to talented skill wise to be cut.. I'll gurantee he isn't cut, and i'd of done that well before he was showing off his skills in this early training camp..

I've raved about this kid from day 1.. He lit up the high competiton he played in college, when Troy got a chance to play better comp, and not only caught balls all over the place, short and deep, but also ran the ball effectively, threw the ball effectively, returned the ball effectively..etc

I am not nearly as high on Randle as most are on here, but this jerrnigan kid, is the real deal! I'm telling u, watch out for this kid...

RoanokeFan
07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Its definetly early, but Jerrnigan is way to talented skill wise to be cut.. I'll gurantee he isn't cut, and i'd of done that well before he was showing off his skills in this early training camp..

I've raved about this kid from day 1.. He lit up the high competiton he played in college, when Troy got a chance to play better comp, and not only caught balls all over the place, short and deep, but also ran the ball effectively, threw the ball effectively, returned the ball effectively..etc

I am not nearly as high on Randle as most are on here, but this jerrnigan kid, is the real deal! I'm telling u, watch out for this kid...

Without taking issue with your position on Jernigan, they are going to keep X number of wide receivers. The pre-season competition will determine who makes the final 53 and who will then be relegated to the practice squad. The practice squad always contains someone they would like to have on the final 53 but, for whatever reason(s) can't break through.

Jernigan's play, so far, has been impressive. If that continues, and no one else eclipses his performance, he'll make the roster. But, and here's where we all can get into trouble, skill positions, in the case wide receiver, are not only about route running and catching the ball. As we learned last year in a very public drubbing of Victor Cruz by Kevin Gilbride HOW they do what they do matters. Making te right reads, making the right cut and the precise spot on the field, etc.

I think you're right about Jernigan but let's be fair to the rest of the hopefuls and see how it all shakes out.

nycsportzfan
07-30-2012, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=RoanokeFan;439572]Without taking issue with your position on Jernigan, they are going to keep X number of wide receivers. The pre-season competition will determine who makes the final 53 and who will then be relegated to the practice squad. The practice squad always contains someone they would like to have on the final 53 but, for whatever reason(s) can't break through.

Jernigan's play, so far, has been impressive. If that continues, and no one else eclipses his performance, he'll make the roster. But, and here's where we all can get into trouble, skill positions, in the case wide receiver, are not only about route running and catching the ball. As we learned last year in a very public drubbing of Victor Cruz by Kevin Gilbride HOW they do what they do matters. Making te right reads, making the right cut and the precise spot on the field, etc.

I think you're right about Jernigan but let's be fair to the rest of the hopefuls and see how it all shakes out.[/QUOTE Oh, i agree.. I am just standing by what i've said for quite awhile now is all.. I just firmly believe in Jerrnigan, almost as much as i did Victor Cruz when we signed him as a UDF(as far as cruz making the team)... Everytime i watched Jerrnigan in college(not often, but a few times), i came away extremely impressed, and the thing i love most about him, is hes not like every other WR.. He adds something that other WR's can't or don't do often, like being able to throw a pass, or run the ball, or return the ball, or go deep, or over the middle short, or wr screen..etc Hes done it all, and is a extremely versatile player, and i think that gives him a edge all by itself over the others..

I'm not saying whos gonna get cut, because i have no idea.. I'm just saying Jerrnigan isn't gonna be one of them, and i believe hes gonna be a huge asset to this offense when said and done... Again, he has alot of Percy Harvin in him...