PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Breakout Player of the Year?

titwio
07-25-2012, 05:40 PM
My top 5 breakout candidates for 2012 are:

Marvin Austin
Jerrel Jernigan
David Wilson
Prince Amukamara
Rueben Randle

Who has the best chance to be this years Victor Cruz or JPP?

*I also made a poll with the same options but put an "other" option if you want to discuss someone else.

sharick88
07-25-2012, 05:42 PM
If we can get nice contributions from 3 out of your 5, we will be playing in the SB again

rainierjef
07-25-2012, 05:51 PM
i think prince comes into his own this year, i remember sitting 7 seats from the field at giants stadium, sorry i mean metlife stadium. and watching him get down the field and track the ball getting in front of desean jackson and picking that ball off. omfg i was so psyched. i think he has 5-7 interceptions this year and a boatload of solo tackles.

Toadofsteel
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Either Jernigan or Prince. JJ gets a bad rap, but he was also picked in the 2011 draft, which meant he got little camp time to learn the offense. Depending on which WR position Cruz plays, JJ could see a lot of snaps. The other one is, of course, Prince. He's stepping up to fill Aaron Ross's shoes now. T2 is going to be our nickel corner coming off those ACL's...

MattyD21
07-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Other : Jayron Hosley

STRENGTHS: Hosley is an excellent zone corner who has a ton of range and play-making ability around the ball. He has good field awareness to sniff out receiver screens and is a quick reactor when the ball is thrown. He is consistently involved in the play and has good length to disengage receivers from the ball. Hosley is deceptive as a hitter and can deliver a serious blow for such a small frame. He has an impressive bubble and is a very bouncy athlete who can change directions on a dime. He is capable of smothering at the line using his hands and technique, and is good to stay in receivers' hip in-phase. He is a scrappy player who employs an unconventional shuffle step off the ball and technique in general, but he finds a way to make impact plays

( http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jayron-hosley?id=2533061 )

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-25-2012, 06:56 PM
I think we know a little a little about Prince that we can get a sense that he'll have a pretty good year. Now with TT back in the roster, we have a pretty good solid team in the CB position.

So, being that, I'm going to go with Wilson.

I really don't know how we're going to do in the running game, but with Bradshaw and Ware/Brown as our only "known" runningbacks that can produce, it makes me a little worried going into the season.

So saying that, I think Wilson will have a breakout year showing us that he can be that #2 back for next season.

titwio
07-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Other : Jayron Hosley

STRENGTHS: Hosley is an excellent zone corner who has a ton of range and play-making ability around the ball. He has good field awareness to sniff out receiver screens and is a quick reactor when the ball is thrown. He is consistently involved in the play and has good length to disengage receivers from the ball. Hosley is deceptive as a hitter and can deliver a serious blow for such a small frame. He has an impressive bubble and is a very bouncy athlete who can change directions on a dime. He is capable of smothering at the line using his hands and technique, and is good to stay in receivers' hip in-phase. He is a scrappy player who employs an unconventional shuffle step off the ball and technique in general, but he finds a way to make impact plays

I didn't mention Hosley because he's stuck behind some key guys...Webster, Thomas, Prince, Johnson etc.. Chances of him breaking out in 2012 are not too likely. He's one of my favorite players from this years draft class too but...I'd say maybe 2013, 2014 are more realistic for him having a breakout season.

derekunion28
07-25-2012, 07:20 PM
picked RR tho i hear crazy stuff from VT fans about wilson

Captain Chaos
07-25-2012, 07:22 PM
That last guy I see on this list having a break out year is Jernigan, could be mistaken; however, he is my pick for surprise cut this season.

Drez
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
That last guy I see on this list having a break out year is Jernigan, could be mistaken; however, he is my pick for surprise cut this season. I'd be beyond shocked if we cut last season's 3rd round pick this year.

titwio
07-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Not a lot of love for Marvin Austin I see.

10+88=6
07-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Due to the suspect Oline I picked Muk, he came on strong during post season plus a full offseason should help him out a lot (CB learning curve)

Dorothy
07-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't mind if Scott has a great year.

Toadofsteel
07-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Due to the suspect Oline I picked Muk, he came on strong during post season plus a full offseason should help him out a lot (CB learning curve)

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/pokemon-blue-version/b/b5/Muk.gif

Sorry, had to do it lol

10+88=6
07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/pokemon-blue-version/b/b5/Muk.gifSorry, had to do it lolLet's hope he can "catch'em all"

Roosevelt
07-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Barden. He's had the time, the time is now.

BlueBlitzer
07-25-2012, 11:50 PM
R2 I believe will be a Mario Manningham with brains.

giants8493
07-26-2012, 12:00 AM
I know this may be insane, but what if we get multiple breakout starts this year! Randell and Jernigan will BOTH get 1000 yards, AND Marvin Austin gets 12 sacks, AND Prince allows 0 tds with 8ints, AND Wilson has 1700 yrds Rushing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We would be so good!!!!

Imagine having 4 1000 yard receivers! Has that ever even happened before?
We would be the best team in the NFL easily! All the rest of our players would have to do is not get worse.

Sovereign
07-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Not a lot of love for Marvin Austin I see.

Despite him having the 2nd best chance to "break out."

MattyD21
07-26-2012, 12:15 AM
I know this may be insane, but what if we get multiple breakout starts this year! Randell and Jernigan will BOTH get 1000 yards, AND Marvin Austin gets 12 sacks, AND Prince allows 0 tds with 8ints, AND Wilson has 1700 yrds Rushing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We would be so good!!!!

Imagine having 4 1000 yard receivers! Has that ever even happened before?
We would be the best team in the NFL easily! All the rest of our players would have to do is not get worse.

lol.... Sir put the glass of Jack Daniels down and walk away

giants8493
07-26-2012, 12:19 AM
lol.... Sir put the glass of Jack Daniels down and walk away Show me ONE rule that says it can't happen. If it does it would be the greatist thing ever. You cant deny that!!!What if everyone on this team make the hall of fame. dude, we might go undefeated!!

juice33s
07-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Martellus Bennett is certainly in a position to have a break out year. He's basically been given a role which barring injury guarantees him around 40 catches,600 yards and 5 TD's just for showing up at the stadium on time

FlyingTruck
07-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Marvin Austin or Prince. The WR will benefit from having Nicks and Cruz on the field with them because they'll be able to kind of fly under the radar and find open spots. I think Prince will have a solid year, but I'm really excited to see if Austin can bring it. Especially since he's been away from the game a few years now.

Rat_bastich
07-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Show me ONE rule that says it can't happen. If it does it would be the greatist thing ever. You cant deny that!!!What if everyone on this team make the hall of fame. dude, we might go undefeated!!

Hahaha if you get 4 receivers with 1k a piece the running game might be 200 yards between all backs. These are Sega Joe Montana Football numbers.

.scrimmage.
07-26-2012, 01:44 AM
I think Randle's gonna tear it up this year as the #3 receiver.

Sovereign
07-26-2012, 02:12 AM
I think Randle's gonna tear it up this year as the #3 receiver.

Nicks when he was a rookie was more polished, more aggressive, with better route running skills with the same speed. Nicks managed 700 yards in year one.

Toadofsteel
07-26-2012, 02:37 AM
I'd be beyond shocked if we cut last season's 3rd round pick this year.

Barden is going to go LOOOOOOOOOONG before Jernigan does...

Hahaha if you get 4 receivers with 1k a piece the running game might be 200 yards between all backs. These are Sega Joe Montana Football numbers.

Sounds to me like someone's been playing easy-mode Madden NFL. The first time I did that I creamed the Eagles 232-7. The Eagles TD came because I had to pee and forgot to pause the game. Oh and I was using the special teams to play defense the entire second half too (basically sent out the FG block unit as my defense)

Sovereign
07-26-2012, 03:21 AM
Don't know why Marvin only has one vote. Linval will be the 1 tech eating up lineman which he's great at leaving space for Marvin at the 3 tech to wreak havoc on the backfield. He's definitely going to have more impact than JJ12, Randle and maybe Wilson.

Dorothy
07-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Hope to see Scott have a great year.

Old Giant
07-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I am going with RR. Living in cental Va.I have watched Wilson for awhile and expect him to pick up right where he left off at Tech, no breakout is necessary.

NYG_248
07-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Wilson, I think he is going to get a lot of carries come week 5-6. Unfortunately, I think Bradshaws foot issues are going to be a reoccurring issue which would mean DJ Ware and Wilson would get an extended amount of touches. Every report I hear about Wilson is how incredibly fast and explosive he is...

Jahh
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I'd have to say RR and Wilson are in the best positions to make an impact. We need someone to step into the third receiver role and the 2nd rb. Prince may only be a nickel corner depending on how Terrell Thomas comes out. Marvin Austin is going to be brought along slow at first and JJ may only serve in a special teams capacity.

sethm
07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I think the player that breaks out the most is not one player but a group the O line gets my vote

BROADWAYSTORM
07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
The running back is in the best position to succeed right away. So I will go with Wilson. Plus there's something about him that is awesome. He is explosive.

dannyboomboom1
07-26-2012, 12:36 PM
I actually think Linval Joseph will have his coming out party this year and be considered one of the top DTs in the league.

NYG4lifeNYK
07-26-2012, 03:26 PM
If we can get nice contributions from 3 out of your 5, we will be playing in the SB again
+1

I really like Randle though.

Hope Prince really elevates our secondary opposite Webster.

BlueSanta
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
I would say the 1 guy you left off your list is Jacquain Williams. He has not gotten enough recognition for his amazing performance in 2011, if he does it again this year then people around the league will have to recognize him for what he is, 1 of the best young LBs in football.

GMENAGAIN
07-26-2012, 04:32 PM
+1

I really like Randle though.

Hope Prince really elevates our secondary opposite Webster.
Finally got signed on, huh?

MattyD21
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I would say the 1 guy you left off your list is Jacquain Williams. He has not gotten enough recognition for his amazing performance in 2011, if he does it again this year then people around the league will have to recognize him for what he is, 1 of the best young LBs in football.

Agreed Jacquain is very talented, great speed aswell

gmen0820
07-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Martellus Bennett. I can definitely see him hitting 550+ yards.

NYG4lifeNYK
07-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Finally got signed on, huh?

haha yes bud, took awhile but I'm here :)

JesseJames
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
i'm hoping Marvin Austin can be what we all hoped from him

BlueReign
07-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Austin. When he gets some playing time, the offensive line will give him little though while they have to worry about JPP Osi and Tuck

GMENAGAIN
07-26-2012, 08:23 PM
haha yes bud, took awhile but I'm here :)
Good to have you back . . . . whether you're right or wrong you are one of those posters that generates a lot of interesting discussions . . . .

BigBlueAllDay
07-26-2012, 08:55 PM
I think David Wilson will have the most potential right now in terms of playing time. I still picked Prince though because he started looking solid very late last year including the playoff run when he was on the field. Coming off a major injury in the same season is never easy.

GoDeep80
07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Wilson will have the most opportunity out of the group and I expect him to claim that starting spot by say Week 4 or 5.

wgsgiants
07-27-2012, 10:00 AM
I think Tyler Sash will have a breakout season. We will need to find a third safety. Kenny Phillips is a free agent at the end of the season and I think we only resign Deon Grant if Steve Brown and some of the other safeties show nothing. So look for Tyler Sash to be a different player this season and to get significant playing time and have a breakout season on defense and special teams.

Go Giants!!!

juice33s
07-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I think Tyler Sash will have a breakout season. We will need to find a third safety. Kenny Phillips is a free agent at the end of the season and I think we only resign Deon Grant if Steve Brown and some of the other safeties show nothing. So look for Tyler Sash to be a different player this season and to get significant playing time and have a breakout season on defense and special teams.

Go Giants!!!
I'm as big a Sash fan as there probably is on these boards, but I think Tthomas will see alot of time in the big Nickel with Prince and Webster out wide....However if god forbid either KP or Rolle go down, Sash will probably be the first man up

NYAngryAzn
07-27-2012, 01:17 PM
My first post on the Giants forum, nice to meet you all.
I've been following and reading posts on the Giants forum since 2004, (Harooni crax me up) figure it was about time I joined.

Prince, I can see having a breakout year if he comes out of training camp healthy. CB is a tricky position and having some experience from last year will help him tremendously.

Wilson, I can see having a decent year, considering how bad Giants were at rushing the ball last year, his speed will help.

Someone at TE, Eli seems to like his tight-ends and whomever is in that position seems to do well.

JesseJames
07-27-2012, 05:34 PM
my vote for breakout player is the Prince because we weren't very good defending the pas last year and we need this kid to be what we drafted him to be...

Sovereign
07-28-2012, 01:54 AM
David Wilson will not have the most impact...
Eli said he needs work on pass blocking and Coughlin won't let him play unless he can do it well.

GiantVibes
07-28-2012, 09:20 AM
My first post on the Giants forum, nice to meet you all.
I've been following and reading posts on the Giants forum since 2004, (Harooni crax me up) figure it was about time I joined.

Prince, I can see having a breakout year if he comes out of training camp healthy. CB is a tricky position and having some experience from last year will help him tremendously.

Wilson, I can see having a decent year, considering how bad Giants were at rushing the ball last year, his speed will help.

Someone at TE, Eli seems to like his tight-ends and whomever is in that position seems to do well.

Welcome to the boards man!

titwio
07-29-2012, 08:54 PM
If I had to make a list as to which of the 5 are having the best camp so far...Based on just what I've heard or read it would be:

1.Jerrel Jernigan
2. David Wilson
3. Prince Amukamara
4. Rueben Randle
5. Marvin Austin