PDA

View Full Version : Bennett drops

PRGiant
07-26-2012, 06:59 PM
So M. Bennett's rep is that he drops balls. Do any of you has a link to a website that shows drops per pass attempts? I mean, the last year that Boss was here, I think he led the league in drops? I understand Bennett has had less attempts but I would like to know just how bad he has been. I would like to compare the two.

titwio
07-26-2012, 07:06 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/

keyofgmen
07-26-2012, 07:40 PM
How about he just shut up already. If he turns into one "of those" then ..ARGGHH!

derekunion28
07-26-2012, 07:41 PM
new team new qb new season anything can happpen

Captain Chaos
07-26-2012, 08:51 PM
new team new qb new season anything can happpen

Now that's an attitude I can live with!

jomo
07-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I never heard that rep. I did hear that he was considered lazy but his blocking was always above average and he wasn't a primary target with Witten and all the Dallas WR in there. Fresh start for him here. Let's see what he's got. Give him one of those t-shirts with the saying "talk is cheap, play the games." Go Blue!

ELIte4MVP
07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
I never heard that rep. I did hear that he was considered lazy but his blocking was always above average and he wasn't a primary target with Witten and all the Dallas WR in there. Fresh start for him here. Let's see what he's got. Give him one of those t-shirts with the saying "talk is cheap, play the games." Go Blue!

The only thing i heard with him in terms of dropped passes was the fact that he was inconsistent and would make a catch and the next play drop an easy ball. Also, i think he had a few tips which resulted in interceptions. Nothing awful though, and practice should be able to fix it as well

Rat_bastich
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Looking at his 65% catch rate. That is not too bad. I know everyone is shooting for 100% but that is impossible. Heck look at Calvin Johnson as a receiver...his catch rate is 61%. The thing is that Witten was the featured tight end at Dallas. This will be Bennett's time to shine and hopefully he makes the most of it. With a one year deal the Giants are giving him the opportunity without committing long term. It is a win-win for both parties.

Ntegrase96
07-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't think he had all that many drops, but then again most of his passes were dump offs of 2 or 3 yards.

Someone recently pointed out with statistics that throwing to him wasn't all that risky as I previosuly thought. I think he had something like 20 targets and 2 interceptions when throwing his way? I'm not sure... Anyway, I would cringe every time the ball was thrown in his direction. Never had a sense of security with that guy and the risk never seemed like it was worth the reward.

The thought that Bennett was overshadowed by Witten is only half true. After T.O. was jettison from the team, Garrett designed his offense around Bennett and Witten (much like the Pats offense).

At that point, Bennett was very a very promising young athlete. He had 4 TD grabs in 2008 as a rookie and made a lot of nice plays. He was very important to what the Cowboys wanted to do and at one point we denied a trade with the Bengals for a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Bennett-- I'm not sure if it was ever clarified which one.

At any rate, the Cowboys struggled and Bennett never held up his end, nor returned to anything resembling his 2008 form. He has since seemingly got slower, clunkier, and even more immature somehow.

So yes, he was outshined by Witten (and even our third TE, John Phillips), but not because of lack of opportunity.

GMENAGAIN
07-27-2012, 01:06 PM
The thing that is weird about him is that the lazy rap doesn't jive at all with the fact that he is a very good blocker . . . . . .

jomo
07-27-2012, 01:17 PM
The thing that is weird about him is that the lazy rap doesn't jive at all with the fact that he is a very good blocker . . . . . .That is true and I've thought about it. Being a strong blocker doesn't come without tenacity and focus. What is bothering me lately is how much he's yapping his flap. In truth, the dude's done nothing worth mentioning in the NFL. He seems to think that talking is some sort of substitute for production. This could be a short relationship if he doesn't deliver the goods quickly. Stated differently, he's not carrying himself like a Giant.

Eliscruzzz
07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't think he had all that many drops, but then again most of his passes were dump offs of 2 or 3 yards.

Someone recently pointed out with statistics that throwing to him wasn't all that risky as I previosuly thought. I think he had something like 20 targets and 2 interceptions when throwing his way? I'm not sure... Anyway, I would cringe every time the ball was thrown in his direction. Never had a sense of security with that guy and the risk never seemed like it was worth the reward.

The thought that Bennett was overshadowed by Witten is only half true. After T.O. was jettison from the team, Garrett designed his offense around Bennett and Witten (much like the Pats offense).

At that point, Bennett was very a very promising young athlete. He had 4 TD grabs in 2008 as a rookie and made a lot of nice plays. He was very important to what the Cowboys wanted to do and at one point we denied a trade with the Bengals for a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Bennett-- I'm not sure if it was ever clarified which one.

At any rate, the Cowboys struggled and Bennett never held up his end, nor returned to anything resembling his 2008 form. He has since seemingly got slower, clunkier, and even more immature somehow.

So yes, he was outshined by Witten (and even our third TE, John Phillips), but not because of lack of opportunity. We'll what do you know a Cowboy fan that says Bennett being overshadowed by Witten is only have true I read your post for a long time about him and I think your fair with your assements on him but I have to stop you there, because cleary he was and I also think the play calling or Tony Romo is one of the QB that latches on to Witten a throws to him to much, I don't like T.O. but I think he was right when Tony Romo would just throw to Witten most of the time. I've seen a video on youtube of all of MB's catches and drops most of the plays called for him are screens? I don't think your team did try to use him as both a receiving threat and a blocker, just a blocker. I him run like two seam routes in the whole video just thought it was kinda strange that they put him on so many screen plays which is not that bad at.

Ntegrase96
07-27-2012, 04:22 PM
We'll what do you know a Cowboy fan that says Bennett being overshadowed by Witten is only have true I read your post for a long time about him and I think your fair with your assements on him but I have to stop you there, because cleary he was and I also think the play calling or Tony Romo is one of the QB that latches on to Witten a throws to him to much, I don't like T.O. but I think he was right when Tony Romo would just throw to Witten most of the time. I've seen a video on youtube of all of MB's catches and drops most of the plays called for him are screens? I don't think your team did try to use him as both a receiving threat and a blocker, just a blocker. I him run like two seam routes in the whole video just thought it was kinda strange that they put him on so many screen plays which is not that bad at.

You mean all of his targets from last year? Yeah I saw that too. In fact, I saw all of those plays in real time as well.

My previous post explains how Bennett got relegated to the point of dinks and dunks. Romo gave Bennett chances. Just watch his touchdown against the Redskins in 2008, Bennett's rookie year. Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, and Roy Williams are all open at intermediate distances, but Romo picks Bennet down field even though he's draped with a defender. The decision pays off, and Cowboys nation is excited about the young Martellus.

Then after that, with an offense designed around him as a key component in 2009, Bennett gets outshined by rookie tight end John Phillips.

Bennett can turn it around, but I don't think he possess the attributes to be an all world TE. He can make a difference and be a strong presence in the redzone, but he has to put in the work and he has to play bigger-- because during his tenure in Dallas, dude looked like Tarzan, but played like Jane.

jomo
07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
You mean all of his targets from last year? Yeah I saw that too. In fact, I saw all of those plays in real time as well.

My previous post explains how Bennett got relegated to the point of dinks and dunks. Romo gave Bennett chances. Just watch his touchdown against the Redskins in 2008, Bennett's rookie year. Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, and Roy Williams are all open at intermediate distances, but Romo picks Bennet down field even though he's draped with a defender. The decision pays off, and Cowboys nation is excited about the young Martellus.

Then after that, with an offense designed around him as a key component in 2009, Bennett gets outshined by rookie tight end John Phillips.

Bennett can turn it around, but I don't think he possess the attributes to be an all world TE. He can make a difference and be a strong presence in the redzone, but he has to put in the work and he has to play bigger-- because during his tenure in Dallas, dude looked like Tarzan, but played like Jane.I really appreciate the candid inside feedback Ntegrase96. We got him relatively cheap and only for 1 year. It is very rare for a player, 4 years in the league, to finally grow up. His behavior thus far with the Giants unfortunately tells me that he isn't heading in the right direction in that regard. He needs to shut up, start working hard NOW and begin impressing the people who will be bidding for his services in about 8 months. My expectations are low right now. (I don't like being disappointed lol)

jgiantfan
07-27-2012, 10:21 PM
excellent blocker and I bet most of MB s targets will be in red zone. Ahem... Excuse me Green zone..

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Someone recently pointed out with statistics that throwing to him wasn't all that risky as I previosuly thought. I think he had something like 20 targets and 2 interceptions when throwing his way? I'm not sure... How risky could you have previously thought it was? A 1/12 "interception to target" chance of being picked off is not just risky, it's terrible.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 12:44 AM
I still think Bennett will break out. He does have the reputation of inconsistent hands, but I'd also attribute some of that to inconsistent targets. Bennett at a point did show a lot of promise, Cincy wanted to trade a couple high picks for him, and the Cowboys declined. I think with not only a better QB, but a better coach, and a better environment Bennett can only get..well, better. 550+ yards is my prediction if he stays healthy. Eli always makes our TEs look pretty good. Bennett actually has raw talent; our other starting TE's talent in years prior, pales in comparison to Bennett's.

BlueSanta
07-28-2012, 12:59 AM
I also do not like his constant chatter so far this year. But, its not all his fault. He comes from a place(Cowboys organization) where image is more important than performance. Give him time here and hopefully the TC mentality will rub off on him.

1 thing I think people are just not recognizing is that the Giants have always been best when they run off tackle and outside. We led the league in 2007/08 in rushing plays outside. You cannot rush outside without a proper seal block and the TE is often responsible for that. Last year, we were a very bad rushing team all around but particularly when going outside the tackle. I would rather see us regain that ability to run outside, even if it meant a dropoff in receptions by our TE.

So, if we can get back to being a good/dominant run team, and Bennett helps with that. I will not complain at all if he only has 10 receptions on the year.

Captain Chaos
07-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Lots of good insight from a Cowboy fan, I think the truth lies somewhere in there. I'll give Bennett his first day excitement and we'll see what he does the rest of camp. I'm thinking Pope will do wonders with this guy.

GMENAGAIN
07-28-2012, 09:01 AM
I also do not like his constant chatter so far this year. But, its not all his fault. He comes from a place(Cowboys organization) where image is more important than performance. Give him time here and hopefully the TC mentality will rub off on him.

1 thing I think people are just not recognizing is that the Giants have always been best when they run off tackle and outside. We led the league in 2007/08 in rushing plays outside. You cannot rush outside without a proper seal block and the TE is often responsible for that. Last year, we were a very bad rushing team all around but particularly when going outside the tackle. I would rather see us regain that ability to run outside, even if it meant a dropoff in receptions by our TE.

So, if we can get back to being a good/dominant run team, and Bennett helps with that. I will not complain at all if he only has 10 receptions on the year.

Very good point. Our TE blocking last year was poor. Ballard was about average and Pascoe got tossed around like a rag doll more times than I can remember. Hopefully, improved blocking at the position will result in an improved run game.

juice33s
07-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Anyone else notice he showed up at camp with a $200,000 car (http://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FTuEkdKsw)?....not sure he rates that ****

middlecountrygiantsfan
07-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Anyone else notice he showed up at camp with a $200,000 car (http://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FTuEkdKsw)?....not sure he rates that ****

whats he driving?

juice33s
07-28-2012, 12:36 PM
whats he driving?
Bentley Continental GT (http://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FTuEkdKsw)

middlecountrygiantsfan
07-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Bentley Continental GT (http://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FTuEkdKsw)

Daaannnnnngggggg

middlecountrygiantsfan
07-28-2012, 01:17 PM
and before anyone asks i did say that with a Joe Dirt accent.

jomo
07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
and before anyone asks i did say that with a Joe Dirt accent.He reminds me of a golfer who shows us with $2,000 worth of clubs and the finest bag to hold them. After shooting 120, the caddie remarks: "he's all bag!"

rainierjef
07-29-2012, 04:49 AM
i honestly do not see it. i think this crutch of him being over shadowed by witten is just that a crutch. he would not have been drafted as high as he was to just be a blocking TE for the cowboys, they wanted to create a dual TE system much like what the Pat's are doing now; its the best way to create mismatches over the middle and in the seams, gaining big YAC from short to intermediate routes, its also a safe approach, can cut back on a lot of down field mistakes i.e interceptions.personally i believe a lot of fans want so bad for this guy to break out that they are not seeing whats in front of them; please do not mistake this for me not wanting him to prove me wrong i in all hopes he does, but i just don't see it. he never made good of his opportunities to be a target in dallas, the third TE on the roster out shined him. we will see i am still reserving my judgement on him, just shut up and get better.