PDA

View Full Version : I think Hixon is going to break out

StraightCruzinn
07-27-2012, 10:02 PM
If Hixon stays healthy I think he is going to play great. Before his injury he looked like pretty good. With Cruz and Nicks I think Hixon will be able to get open a lot. Yes, I believe Hixon will beat out Randel.

Captain Chaos
07-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I've always liked the guy, would be nice to see him come back in a big way.

middlecountrygiantsfan
07-27-2012, 11:29 PM
I always liked him too. I dont know if he can hold off Randle all season.

If he gets hurt during the season its over with. At that point Randle will probably be ready to step in and Hixon probably wont recover.

ELIte4MVP
07-27-2012, 11:34 PM
i definitely think the 3rd spot is hixons to lose, and i don't think he's gonna lose it unless he gets hurt like someone mentioned. he is a solid wide receiver who probably would outperform manningham last season if he stayed healthy

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 02:17 PM
He is a solid, versatile veteran

GiantVibes
07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
i definitely think the 3rd spot is hixons to lose, and i don't think he's gonna lose it unless he gets hurt like someone mentioned. he is a solid wide receiver who probably would outperform manningham last season if he stayed healthy

Don't know about that...Manningham was clearly ahead of him on the depth chart. That said I do think if he can stay healthy he will be a solid contributor and reliable target for Eli.

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Don't know about that...Manningham was clearly ahead of him on the depth chart. That said I do think if he can stay healthy he will be a solid contributor and reliable target for Eli.

He is the ONLY return man we've had in several years. I look forward to his contributions this season

Old Giant
07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I really don't know about the stress on his knees-which would be best for him-returning kicks and punts and resting or being the third reciever. What does the team need? Is there a serious real retuner of his skill level on the team?

ELIte4MVP
07-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I really don't know about the stress on his knees-which would be best for him-returning kicks and punts and resting or being the third reciever. What does the team need? Is there a serious real retuner of his skill level on the team?

i personally want jernigan to handle returns, and give hixon the 3rd spot until randle shows he can handle it

Old Giant
07-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Would be great-but JJ got to live up to his part if that is the plan.

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Would be great-but JJ got to live up to his part if that is the plan.

Remember, it took Amani Toomer two years to get on track.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 03:06 PM
The only thing I see Hixon breaking, is a bone.

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 03:09 PM
The only thing I see Hixon breaking, is a bone.

Just put some ore water in your glass. He's liked by the coaching staff. I realize they have no clue, but Hixon doesn't have to "break" anything to contribute. He led all receivers in yards in 2008 and hold the single game record for all purpose yards. Until someone unseats him, he's probably the # 3. Right now he's working with Cruz in Nick's spot with the ones.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Just put some ore water in your glass. He's liked by the coaching staff. I realize they have no clue, but Hixon doesn't have to "break" anything to contribute. He led all receivers in yards in 2008 and hold the single game record for all purpose yards. Until someone unseats him, he's probably the # 3. Right now he's working with Cruz in Nick's spot with the ones.Who knows if he can even play after all his devastating injuries. He'll have to prove that he can still actually play.

I mean, who is it to say that he can still play, Roanoke?

Eli TO Shockey
07-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I worry about his consecutive ACL injuries.

As of right now, JJ is coming into his 2nd season as a pro and was working the slot with the first team. I do realize its the first day of training camp, but I like this kid and hope he can get his career on track.

Barden, IMO, will be hard pressed to make the team, especially since hes useless on special teams (and as a WR).

Im excited about our depth at WR. we have 3 guys(4 if you count barden) battling for the slot.

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Who knows if he can even play after all his devastating injuries. He'll have to prove that he can still actually play.

I mean, who is it to say that he can still play, Roanoke?

He's practicing with the ones. That means he can play. WIll his leg hold up? Time will tell.

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 08:26 PM
I worry about his consecutive ACL injuries.

As of right now, JJ is coming into his 2nd season as a pro and was working the slot with the first team. I do realize its the first day of training camp, but I like this kid and hope he can get his career on track.

Barden, IMO, will be hard pressed to make the team, especially since hes useless on special teams (and as a WR).

Im excited about our depth at WR. we have 3 guys(4 if you count barden) battling for the slot.

There is competition everywhere which can only help us get through the season. Nicks is sidelined for camp so right now Hixon is taking his place. Who's to say someone else might get a shot at taking reps with the ones? It's all beneficial.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 08:32 PM
He's practicing with the ones. That means he can play. WIll his leg hold up? Time will tell.No one know what he's capable of doing in the present because he ended his season on IR...again.

I mean, exactly what about Domenik Hixon's performance last year makes anyone think he'd benefit us this year?

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 08:47 PM
No one know what he's capable of doing in the present because he ended his season on IR...again.

I mean, exactly what about Domenik Hixon's performance last year makes anyone think he'd benefit us this year?

Last year is history in the NFL. He's been medically cleared, he's been practicing with the ones at wide receiver and returning punts and kickoff. No one is reporting he's struggling.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Last year is history in the NFL. He's been medically cleared, he's been practicing with the ones at wide receiver and returning punts and kickoff. No one is reporting he's struggling.So how come the same logic doesn't apply to Steve Smith?

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 08:54 PM
And this, too.

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 08:56 PM
So how come the same logic doesn't apply to Steve Smith?

Who is Steve Smith? That's too small to read.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 09:00 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/bschujas/roa.png

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/bschujas/ro.png

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Smith wasn't cleared to play and wasn't expected to contribute until, at best, pre-season. He didn't play well in Philadelphia and re-injured himself when he came back too soon, IMO. Where is Steve Smith now?

ELIte4MVP
07-28-2012, 09:10 PM
And this, too.

i believe steve smith had an entirely different surgery, but i may be wrong

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Smith wasn't cleared to play and wasn't expected to contribute until, at best, pre-season. He didn't play well in Philadelphia and re-injured himself when he came back too soon, IMO. Where is Steve Smith now?And Hixon lit it up in his 2 games last year? What has Hixon showed? Smith has played more in the past two years, and has had less severe injuries. 1 micro fracture surgery, and a 2-4 week bone bruise are equal too, if not less severe than two consecutive ACL tears. What makes you so sure that Hixon can still be a benefit, and Smith can't be? You do realize both of them are cleared, they have passed physicals, or else they wouldn't be on a roster.

And what is this nonsense of Smith wasn't cleared to play, and wasn't expected to contribute until preseason? Are we talking about last year, or this year, because this post was, judging by the date, March of this year? Do you have a link for that?

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 09:13 PM
i believe steve smith had an entirely different surgery, but i may be wrong1 micro fracture surgery over a year and a half ago, compared to two straight years of ACL tears. Except Roanoke questions Smith's future, and asks people to justify his benefit to a team, but Hixon gets a free pass. Hixon has Roanoke on the edge of his seat for this years contributions.

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 09:18 PM
And Hixon lit it up in his 2 games last year? What has Hixon showed? Smith has played more in the past two years, and has had less severe injuries. 1 micro fracture surgery, and a 2-4 week bone bruise are equal too, if not less severe than two consecutive ACL tears. What makes you so sure that Hixon can still be a benefit, and Smith can't be? You do realize both of them are cleared, they have passed physicals, or else they wouldn't be on a roster.

And what is this nonsense of Smith wasn't cleared to play, and wasn't expected to contribute until preseason? Are we talking about last year, or this year, because this post was, judging by the date, March of this year? Do you have a link for that?

I was speaking of his last days here and, mistakenly said last year. I am SO sorry. You love Smith, I love Hixon. It's who's here now that matters and Smith isn't here. The Smith issue and Smith are irrelevant to this team now.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 09:18 PM
He led all receivers in yards in 2008 and hold the single game record for all purpose yards. You speak of a pre-injured Hixon, who has not shown those heights since before he has gone down with season ending injuries, in two consecutive years.

ELIte4MVP
07-28-2012, 09:19 PM
1 micro fracture surgery over a year and a half ago, compared to two straight years of ACL tears. Except Roanoke questions Smith's future, and asks people to justify his benefit to a team, but Hixon gets a free pass. Hixon has Roanoke on the edge of his seat for this years contributions.

i honestly think the contributing factor is that smith tried to come back earlier than was suggested for his recovery. the giants had initially said he would come back i believe weeks into the season, and the eagles wanted to play him right away. im not sure what type of procedure hixon had, but in terms of knee health it has to be better to see him actually given clearance by doctors and allow him to make cuts, although i will probably cringe every time i see that guy cut. ACL's are no fun

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 09:26 PM
I was speaking of his last days here and, mistakenly said last year. I am SO sorry. You love Smith, I love Hixon. It's who's here now that matters and Smith isn't here. The Smith issue and Smith are irrelevant to this team now.NOW they are irrelevant, but in March, it wasn't -- especially in a thread that was discussing a POSSIBLE return of Smith.

Just calling it for what it is, a double standard. Flawed logic in your assessment of injuries.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 09:30 PM
i honestly think the contributing factor is that smith tried to come back earlier than was suggested for his recovery. the giants had initially said he would come back i believe weeks into the season, and the eagles wanted to play him right away. im not sure what type of procedure hixon had, but in terms of knee health it has to be better to see him actually given clearance by doctors and allow him to make cuts, although i will probably cringe every time i see that guy cut. ACL's are no funYeah, who knows? I mean, Smith never really did show signs of the Steve Smith of old last year, but that was completely expected. I mean, I called an extremely poor year for Smith, and I will be the first one to tell you I'm not Nostradamus, I just understood that no one is 100% after micro fracture surgery. I saw it first hand with the DT duo (Cofield & Robbins) in 2009, followed by career years in 2010. I saw it first hand with Phillips, a sub-par/average 2010, followed by an exceptional 2011 year.

And yes I agree, it must take a lot of courage to trust the strength of the knee when making cuts. It's certainly going to be a problem that Hixon will have to work on, you know to avoid a third year with a season ending ACL.

gmen0820
07-28-2012, 09:37 PM
And I could care less for Smith, though it is telling that you admit that you do love Hixon. At least the double standard marginally makes sense now.

ELIte4MVP
07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, who knows? I mean, Smith never really did show signs of the Steve Smith of old last year, but that was completely expected. I mean, I called an extremely poor year for Smith, and I will be the first one to tell you I'm not Nostradamus, I just understood that no one is 100% after micro fracture surgery. I saw it first hand with the DT duo (Cofield & Robbins) in 2009, followed by career years in 2010. I saw it first hand with Phillips, a sub-par/average 2010, followed by an exceptional 2011 year.

And yes I agree, it must take a lot of courage to trust the strength of the knee when making cuts. It's certainly going to be a problem that Hixon will have to work on, you know to avoid a third year with a season ending ACL.

i agree with the "who knows". i would have loved for smith to just take it easy and rested, and hopefully he would have come back healthier and at least competing similarly to how he used to, even if he wasnt 100% back to his old form. but at the same time, as an athlete i know i probably would have done the same thing and tried to come back asap, so i can't really blame him.

Neverend
07-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Dude is coming off two ACLs, "breaking out" is a ridiculous expectation.

RoanokeFan
07-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Dude is coming off two ACLs, "breaking out" is a ridiculous expectation.

Perhaps, but he's practicing across from Cruz with the ones, so someone who knows what he's capable of has him there. He's also returning kicks.punts. His only down side is his health in terms of his knee. He's been medically cleared to play, has been taking all of his reps and is the only receiver behind Nicks and Cruz with significant NFL experience.

Who knows how the WR rotation will stack up when they name the final 53, but Hixon is in the mix.

07-29-2012, 05:33 PM
You know what though, it is not his job to lose. He is just in the mix with everybody else. I know it is bad luck and I do feel for him, but 2 bad knee injuries and not doing anything for 2 years, older now, possibly tenuous in his approach, I don't know. I just think the opportunity is more in his rear view mirror than in someone like Jernigan's or Randle. Of course, if I had to choose between him or Barden if we had to lose one, Bye Bye Barden

RoanokeFan
07-29-2012, 06:00 PM
You know what though, it is not his job to lose. He is just in the mix with everybody else. I know it is bad luck and I do feel for him, but 2 bad knee injuries and not doing anything for 2 years, older now, possibly tenuous in his approach, I don't know. I just think the opportunity is more in his rear view mirror than in someone like Jernigan's or Randle. Of course, if I had to choose between him or Barden if we had to lose one, Bye Bye Barden

Which is why they encourage competition. Whatever is up for grabs goes to the winner.

ELIte4MVP
07-29-2012, 06:09 PM
now that i'm thinking about it, i think hixon may have a similar role to what devin thomas was. solid special teams player, can step in and play wide receiver when necessary, but maybe not a starter. this seems more realistic to me now

Mod_C
07-29-2012, 06:25 PM
now that i'm thinking about it, i think hixon may have a similar role to what devin thomas was. solid special teams player, can step in and play wide receiver when necessary, but maybe not a starter. this seems more realistic to me now

Everybody can't be a "starter", but when your number is called you need to contribute and Hixon has done that.

ELIte4MVP
07-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Everybody can't be a "starter", but when your number is called you need to contribute and Hixon has done that.

exactly. im sure hixon will do precisely that and i cant wait to see it

eLi MusT gO dEEp
07-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Hixon is a warrior I have always liked him I just hope his body can keep up this year. His effort and energy are never a question he brings both constantly.

jomo
07-29-2012, 09:12 PM
exactly. im sure hixon will do precisely that and i cant wait to see itHe carries himself like a Giant should. Really rooting for him to be healthy this year. Everything else will take care of itself.

RoanokeFan
07-29-2012, 09:13 PM
He carries himself like a Giant should. Really rooting for him to be healthy this year. Everything else will take care of itself.

Well said. He is one of Jerry Reese's reclamation projects and I'm glad he is.

giantsfan420
07-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Perhaps, but he's practicing across from Cruz with the ones, so someone who knows what he's capable of has him there. He's also returning kicks.punts. His only down side is his health in terms of his knee. He's been medically cleared to play, has been taking all of his reps and is the only receiver behind Nicks and Cruz with significant NFL experience.

Who knows how the WR rotation will stack up when they name the final 53, but Hixon is in the mix.

well I dont know about the importance of that. Hixon is a vet. he knows the offense. things have to run smoothly with the 1s, so his knowledge in a pads free practice environment makes more sense than randle or jj. We have rodgers and another depth guy running the 1s at DT bc of injury. Once Nicks comes back obviously hixon wont be nowhere near the 1

RoanokeFan
07-29-2012, 10:41 PM
well I dont know about the importance of that. Hixon is a vet. he knows the offense. things have to run smoothly with the 1s, so his knowledge in a pads free practice environment makes more sense than randle or jj. We have rodgers and another depth guy running the 1s at DT bc of injury. Once Nicks comes back obviously hixon wont be nowhere near the 1

It all remains to be seen. What it does mean is he's getting reps with Eli.