PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Jerry Reese says a new contract for Victor Cruz "could happen"

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 04:02 PM
GIANTS' JERRY REESE SAYS A NEW CONTRACT FOR VICTOR CRUZ "COULD HAPPEN" (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/07/giants_jerry_reese_says_a_new.html)

Excerpt: "On Thursday, Victor Cruz told reporters a new contract will certainly be welcomed, but it doesn't serve as his sole motivation. He has maintained that he will play out the final year of his rookie deal at $540,000 and take it from there.
Today, Jerry Reese didn't deny the possibility that the team can work out a new contract with his star wide receiver before he becomes a restricted free agent after the season.: Read more...

primetime
07-28-2012, 04:07 PM
"Could" is better than not.
Here's to another solid season for Cruz, and hopefully the Giants can reward him before he is a free agent.

NickD_25
07-28-2012, 04:11 PM
This is why I dont mess with the GM's and just pull for the players. I'm not a homer fan who sits inside all day every day I know what the real world is all about. How can someone do so much and not get a raise? He should of had a new contract before camp or held out. I know dang well yall wouldnt go to work if you wernt paid your worth.

Thats why I was happy to see BJ and MM leave cause the money IS bigger then the game period. Its a job so go for the money correct? YES!

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 04:15 PM
This is why I dont mess with the GM's and just pull for the players. I'm not a homer fan who sits inside all day every day I know what the real world is all about. How can someone do so much and not get a raise? He should of had a new contract before camp or held out. I know dang well yall wouldnt go to work if you wernt paid your worth.

What why I was happy to see BJ and MH leave cause the money is bigger then the game period.

He's being paid according to the terms of his contract, which he is OK with. In the not too distant past, Reese was quoted as saying, of Cruz, one great season doesn't make a great career. I love Cruz and I expect him, alongside Nicks, to be the best WR tandem in the league. It's just not as simple as "pay the man."

FBomb
07-28-2012, 04:21 PM
And yet the subject of this article is doing just that.

Congrats on your extensive "real world" experience, but this is the NFL. Things work a little differently here.

Eli TO Shockey
07-28-2012, 04:45 PM
If we sign him now, it would be cheaper than waiting for another 1600 yard season.

derekunion28
07-28-2012, 04:47 PM
if they can get it done sooner than later it will help with question media and distractiobs

BlueBlitzer
07-28-2012, 05:37 PM
I expect half way through the season, when not if Cruz lights it up. JR will tear up His contract and or sign to extention.

Captain Chaos
07-28-2012, 07:03 PM
If we sign him now, it would be cheaper than waiting for another 1600 yard season.

I like Cruz; however, I don't think he will have another 1500 yard season. With the addition of a run game, the potential for a more prolific TE (Bennett) and contributions out of the backfield; I just don't see a huge year. I think he will be in the 850 to 1000 yard range, which is a very good year. Remeber Coughlin is calling for a more balanced attack....

NJBLUE
07-28-2012, 07:53 PM
After reading his book and seeing everything Cruz went through to be an undrafted free agent, he is a guy of high moral standards and I see why he is humble and won't hold out.

Now at the same time, he is focused on proving he DESERVES to get a big contract by continuing to come up big again this season.

While doing that on the field, he is trusting his agent and the GM to eventually PAY him. He believes and trusts in this organization to reward him very soon for doing his thing!

I personally believe if he keeps up the good work, the Giants, as a franchise and organization won't screw him!

RoanokeFan
07-28-2012, 07:53 PM

If he plays GREAT for the first few weeks he will get more money and the team will feel more comfortable throwing guaranteed money at him.

GiantVibes
07-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Going to be interesting to see how the WR position pans out the next few years. Nicks, Cruz, Jernigan, Randle....lots of young players showing a lot of promise!

Diamondring
07-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I like Cruz; however, I don't think he will have another 1500 yard season. With the addition of a run game, the potential for a more prolific TE (Bennett) and contributions out of the backfield; I just don't see a huge year. I think he will be in the 850 to 1000 yard range, which is a very good year. Remeber Coughlin is calling for a more balanced attack....He better be a 1,000 yard receiver or close to it if he wants that big dollar. Eight, hundred and fifty yards is nothing yet I understand some of the biggest bigplay receivers in the past dropped down yards and tds under a thousand.

gumby74
07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
he certainly deserves one, but if Randle shows great promise this year, I think we're going to let Cruz walk - especially if he has another awesome year.