PDA

View Full Version : Hixon, Sintim, Thomas, Witherspoon, Goff......

NYG4lifeNYK
07-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Are we rushing our players back too soon or something? What the **** is going on?

They ALL tore their ACL's in back to back years.

poppa smurph
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
it's mind-bottleling

sorry, I recite funny movie quotes when I get nervous

Axels17
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Well, Giants didn't rush Goff back, but I see your point. I don't think they're rushing back though, I mean, it's been a full year, nearly, for all of them. It's kind of crazy to think it, but I think it's just extremely bad luck AND I think it gets weaker after the first.

Especially for TT, who had it twice prior

solarmike
07-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Goff just tore his knee up again and will be out for 2012.

NYG4lifeNYK
07-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Goff just tore his knee up again and will be out for 2012.
Yea, that's why I included him in the quote.

jomo
07-30-2012, 07:17 PM
It's starting to feel like last year......................oh yeah, we won a Super Bowl. Next man up. Go Blue!

RoanokeFan
07-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Are we rushing our players back too soon or something? What the **** is going on?

I think the GIANTS are more conservative regarding bringing players back after injuries than most teams in the League.

RoanokeFan
07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
It's starting to feel like last year......................oh yeah, we won a Super Bowl. Next man up. Go Blue!

This is where the team's development of players pays off. Let;s hope the next man up process pans out yet again.

Drez
07-30-2012, 07:30 PM

They ALL tore their ACL's in back to back years.Too soon? I know it sucks and you're frustrated, but it's just bad luck. Just about all them reinjured themselves after nearly a year of rehab, give or take a month or so (Sintim being the exception) How long should we wait? 2 years?

Also, I'm no doctor, but after someone tears their ACL, isn't it more likely for them to reinjure it?

miked1958
07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Goff just tore his knee up again and will be out for 2012.Wait. Who did he sign with? And it's confirmed he tore it up again? Spoon went out in OTAs. Hixon and Sintum still in there though

jomo
07-30-2012, 07:31 PM
This is where the team's development of players pays off. Let;s hope the next man up process pans out yet again.Keep the faith my friend.

Drez
07-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Wait. Who did he sign with? And it's confirmed he tore it up again? Spoon went out in OTAs. Hixon and Sintum still in there though Goff signed with the Skins. Both Hix and Sintim injured their ACLs in '10 and '11, and Sintim actually tore both his ACL and MCL last year.

miked1958
07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
On goff. Just saw it. He had signed with the Skins and just re tore it during Sundays practice and is done for the season. Wow

NYG4lifeNYK
07-30-2012, 07:36 PM
On goff. Just saw it. He had signed with the Skins and just re tore it during Sundays practice and is done for the season. Wow
It really is mind blowing......

TheShouldersOf
07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
With Hixon coming back from Two Torn ACL's, i question if it's too much, too soon, especially in a Real Game scenario, not just practice, if he is the one they rely heavily upon,

Redeyejedi
07-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Is it the same doctor doing the surgeries. Iver never seen something like this before

RoanokeFan
07-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Keep the faith my friend.

ALWAYS, you know me lol

GMENAGAIN
07-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Add Goff to the list . . . . just re-tore his ACL with the Redskins and is out for the season again . . . .

EDIT: Whoops . . just saw that you already had Goff on the list.

Drez
07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Is it the same doctor doing the surgeries. Iver never seen something like this before No. I know that T2 had his surgery done by his own guy. Not too sure about the others, though, as that's all the tweet I saw said. I'll try tracking it down.

Drez
07-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Reply (https://twitter.com/#)
Retweet (https://twitter.com/#)
Favorite (https://twitter.com/#)

1h (https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/230073729017847808)https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2264353532/image_normal.jpgMike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo (https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo)
No, Thomas went to his own guy. RT @j_lukes (https://twitter.com/j_lukes): Did same doctor do the ACL surgeries for Thomas, Goff, and Hixon? #nyg (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23nyg)

DownWitJPP
07-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Reply (https://twitter.com/#)
Retweet (https://twitter.com/#)
Favorite (https://twitter.com/#)

1h (https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/230073729017847808)https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2264353532/image_normal.jpgMike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo (https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo)
No, Thomas went to his own guy. RT @j_lukes (https://twitter.com/j_lukes): Did same doctor do the ACL surgeries for Thomas, Goff, and Hixon? #nyg (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23nyg)

I was wondering the same exact thing, did the same doctor do all the surgeries. T2 went to his own doc in Cali, but I bet Goff, hixon, witherspoon and
sintim all went to the same doc. Someone needs to look into this, this is crazy

Drez
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I was wondering the same exact thing, did the same doctor do all the surgeries. T2 went to his own doc in Cali, but I bet Goff, hixon, witherspoon and
sintim all went to the same doc. Someone needs to look into this, this is crazy
Sintim blew out his entire knee, including dislocating his kneecap. I don't think his injury had anything to do with the surgery. Honestly, it's just bad luck. HSS is regarded as one of the best hospitals on the planet for these types of things. I highly doubt they're performing hack jobs on some of their most high profile patients.

JJC7301
07-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Well, at least he's not a Giant this year. I certainly have no hate for the player and wish him a more successful recovery next year. Average player, but good guy.

miked1958
07-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Goff signed with the Skins. Both Hix and Sintim injured their ACLs in '10 and '11, and Sintim actually tore both his ACL and MCL last year.Yea I saw that in skins blog just before u posted. Bet both Hixon and Sintum will be tippy toeing around the rest of camp

miked1958
07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
It really is mind blowing......Mind blowing may be an understatement

ELIte4MVP
07-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Sintim blew out his entire knee, including dislocating his kneecap. I don't think his injury had anything to do with the surgery. Honestly, it's just bad luck. HSS is regarded as one of the best hospitals on the planet for these types of things. I highly doubt they're performing hack jobs on some of their most high profile patients.

I agree with this, besides the bad luck. im sure luck is slightly involved, but having an ACL tear and getting it surgically repaired is no easy surgery. honestly, having it repaired and being able to walk on it for the rest of your life and live an active lifestyle without pain is very good. playing football at a professional level on it for any period of time, its almost amazing that more guys don't re-tear ACL's. plus, if your ACL is reconstructed, the stress put on your knee from it goes up and you are more likely to strain/tear an MCL or PCL or both

if you have ever seen friday night lights the movie with boobie miles and his knee troubles, thats not far off from the truth in terms of the strain you put on your knee in football

ELIte4MVP
07-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Mind blowing may be an understatement

this probably sounds weird, but having studied motion of the body and all these ligaments/tendons etc, its amazing MORE people don't blow out their knees playing football

rainierjef
07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
depends on the extent of the anterior cruciate ligament injury, some people even athletes wont be able to come back from that. cause of the rigorous work they do and pressure they apply to these ligaments it will never be as stable or cohesive as natural, and chances of re injury are always high, which is why i personally put no stake in guys with ACL/MCL/PCL tears coming back; if they do im happy but im not counting on it. i feel sorry for TT i really wanted him to get back on the field and play the game he loves, with the team he loves.

byron
07-31-2012, 12:20 AM
I agree with this, besides the bad luck. im sure luck is slightly involved, but having an ACL tear and getting it surgically repaired is no easy surgery. honestly, having it repaired and being able to walk on it for the rest of your life and live an active lifestyle without pain is very good. playing football at a professional level on it for any period of time, its almost amazing that more guys don't re-tear ACL's. plus, if your ACL is reconstructed, the stress put on your knee from it goes up and you are more likely to strain/tear an MCL or PCL or both

if you have ever seen friday night lights the movie with boobie miles and his knee troubles, thats not far off from the truth in terms of the strain you put on your knee in football yeah I'm with ya here I spent a fair amount of time reading up on acl's today .....the players want back on the field so they are at the doc's "when can I play" when probably they should be asking should I play again.....most of these guys will end up with arthritis and such before they are 40

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 12:34 AM
yeah I'm with ya here I spent a fair amount of time reading up on acl's today .....the players want back on the field so they are at the doc's "when can I play" when probably they should be asking should I play again.....most of these guys will end up with arthritis and such before they are 40

exactly. coming back from an ACL injury has become almost a given considering the improvement in surgery, however there is nothing simple about it. it is honestly amazing that football players, and other athletes who put extreme strain on the knee, are able to come back from ACL injuries, but it is not strange at all that most do not make a full or even close recovery.

CDN_G-FAN
07-31-2012, 02:10 AM
i just really feel for thomas. don't know how you play that position again with all those knee injuries.

not meant to be the blanket statement that it sounds like, but when some of these guys hold out for the contract they want instead of 'just playing', this is why.

his career has got to be near over.

Toadofsteel
07-31-2012, 02:34 AM
exactly. coming back from an ACL injury has become almost a given considering the improvement in surgery, however there is nothing simple about it. it is honestly amazing that football players, and other athletes who put extreme strain on the knee, are able to come back from ACL injuries, but it is not strange at all that most do not make a full or even close recovery.

Part of that comes from the quality and level of surgery that professional athletes are able to afford. Even if you're making vet minimum, you're still making way more than your average working man. But I agree, there's way too much strain on the knees (and really all the joints) in such a game. To be honest, if Goodell is trying to be big on safety, he should try to find a way to make movements on the knees safer as well as the emphasis on concussions.

PS (unrelated): I don't know if this is just because it's 2:30 AM or not, but I was looking at your Wonka sig and I almost feel like if you gave Gene Wilder a beard he'd look like Aaron Rodgers...

rainierjef
07-31-2012, 04:05 AM
wouldn't work. no matter how many braces, or pads you put on the posterior and anterior knee it will not prevent ACL/MCL/PCL, meniscus tears, patella tendon ruptures, it just wont do anything for it. these are not impact or blunt force trauma injuries, many simple acl injuries are cause from shifting the weight of the body on a cut and using the femur and tibia as pillars while rotating an axis with the knee it self whether it be on one or both. that repetitive motion destroys the cartilage (meniscus) between the tibia head and the femur bottom which can cause grinding of the bone ( runners knee ) leading to arthritis later on. that strain tears the ACL which is already void of the same amount of blood flow as the other cruciate ligaments because of its location so the healing time of it is extremely long and not guaranteed to be even 70% of what it was prior to injury.

lamas
07-31-2012, 08:44 AM
I haven't seen anyone ask about the rehab program. I'm not one to blame the training staff, but there is too much coincidence to not bring it up. Are there any examples in the past couple years where a Giants player was able to make a full recovery from a knee ligament injury? Even if they didn't use the same Dr., didn't they all use the Giants facilities to recover? Questions need to be asked about the personnel and regiment. If I was a player I would be very concerned.

My eyes are one Hixon, Beckum, and Sintim now. And I'm really hoping they can stay healthy. It would make me feel a little better about future ACL injuries.

Drez
07-31-2012, 01:20 PM
I haven't seen anyone ask about the rehab program. I'm not one to blame the training staff, but there is too much coincidence to not bring it up. Are there any examples in the past couple years where a Giants player was able to make a full recovery from a knee ligament injury? Even if they didn't use the same Dr., didn't they all use the Giants facilities to recover? Questions need to be asked about the personnel and regiment. If I was a player I would be very concerned.

My eyes are one Hixon, Beckum, and Sintim now. And I'm really hoping they can stay healthy. It would make me feel a little better about future ACL injuries.They do most of their rehab on their own, only checking in with the team doctors and trainers.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
wouldn't work. no matter how many braces, or pads you put on the posterior and anterior knee it will not prevent ACL/MCL/PCL, meniscus tears, patella tendon ruptures, it just wont do anything for it. these are not impact or blunt force trauma injuries, many simple acl injuries are cause from shifting the weight of the body on a cut and using the femur and tibia as pillars while rotating an axis with the knee it self whether it be on one or both. that repetitive motion destroys the cartilage (meniscus) between the tibia head and the femur bottom which can cause grinding of the bone ( runners knee ) leading to arthritis later on. that strain tears the ACL which is already void of the same amount of blood flow as the other cruciate ligaments because of its location so the healing time of it is extremely long and not guaranteed to be even 70% of what it was prior to injury.

yeah exactly. most ACL's are actually non-contact injuries. i mean, if everyone was forced to wear knee braces (the mechanical ones, like a lot of o-lineman in college use) it would probably decrease the amount of tears, but only because their range of motion is decreased, not because it is actually protecting them.

Toadofsteel
07-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. Still wish there was a way to improve the health in the knee area, such as the blood flow problem you mentioned. Maybe some day in the future there will be some procedure that can improve the cartilage in that area of the body. Such a loss everywhere in sports (not just football, look at Mariano Rivera going down on an ACL), one would think there could be a way to improve that.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. Still wish there was a way to improve the health in the knee area, such as the blood flow problem you mentioned. Maybe some day in the future there will be some procedure that can improve the cartilage in that area of the body. Such a loss everywhere in sports (not just football, look at Mariano Rivera going down on an ACL), one would think there could be a way to improve that.

oh, one day im sure they will be able to. especially with the growing research being done on stem cells. its just honestly, the knee wasn't meant to do all these things and take these many hits. but in a few years, im sure there will be some procedures that will make everything better to recovery

Bones911
07-31-2012, 10:02 PM
I think the Giants need better surgeons where the graft actually holds.

gumby74
08-01-2012, 08:58 AM
i just really feel for thomas. don't know how you play that position again with all those knee injuries.

not meant to be the blanket statement that it sounds like, but when some of these guys hold out for the contract they want instead of 'just playing', this is why.

his career has got to be near over.

This. As much as I love Cruz not causing a rucus over his big year, if I were him, I'd be making a big stink over $$$. This is a gross overgeneralizing but I'm betting that most of the guys in the NFL don't have a back up plan/legit college degree in case their football career disappears. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

GameTime
08-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I think the Giants need better surgeons where the graft actually holds.
how do you know the grafts aren't holding?? Maybe they are tears in other areas??

How do you know the surgeons are at fault??

DownWitJPP
08-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Like you folks, Coughlin wants some answers on these repeat ACLs. Says he wants more research done. So get to it, researchers. #nyg

hmm..looks like we aren't the only ones that want some answers

Rat_bastich
08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
With the amount of planting and shifting and weight that NFL players put on their joints and most times taking awkward hits I am not surprised this injury is more common. I know it is only practice but stopping and going puts alot of wear and tear on your joints and ligaments. I watched a couple of guys when I was in the Marines just go up for a lay up and blow theirs out. Sometimes it is a gruesome sight, others you think they just sparined a knee.

The doctors do the best they can and usually when they give an estimate of when you can come back they overestimate to give plenty of healing time. Unfortunately it is just a fluke.