PDA

View Full Version : Potential fallout from terrll thomas' injury

RoanokeFan
07-30-2012, 08:06 PM
POTENTIAL FALLOUT FROM TERRLL THOMAS' INJURY (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/15437/potential-fallout-from-terrell-thomas-injury)

Excerpt: "The news out of New York Giants (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants) training camp in Albany on Monday was not good. The team announced that cornerback Terrell Thomas (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11297/terrell-thomas), who is attempting to come back from a second tear of the ACL in his right knee, has suffered another injury to that ligament. They have not announced that it is torn again -- only that he'll have arthroscopic surgery to determine the extent of the injury. But should they go in there with the scope and find that it's torn again, Thomas will have to miss the 2012 season and possibly worry about the remainder of his career." Read more...

joemorrisforprez
07-30-2012, 08:08 PM
It was a mistake letting Aaron Ross go...and this was a position I had before this.

miked1958
07-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Wow just wow. Here we go again. This time he doesnt even get to one preseason game. What 2 or 3 practices??? Unreal

miked1958
07-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Guess we will never get to tuck, Osi, JPP and T2 on field at same time..

TheEnigma
07-30-2012, 08:13 PM
We took a risk on a player with a known injury history and it didn't pay off. Just going to hope that TT can have a nice life outside of football at this point if the ACL injury is as serious as we all expect it to be. Time for Prince to step up!

RoanokeFan
07-30-2012, 08:15 PM
It was a mistake letting Aaron Ross go...and this was a position I had before this.

Decisions are made based upon situations as they are then, not "what if." It's fruitless to worry about that now, who's the next man up gong to be is the real issue.

Redeyejedi
07-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Giants survived losing their 2,4,5,6,7 corner in camp last year. Reese and Marc Ross stack the Giants with as good of depth as any team in the NFL they will be fine. Giants definitely knew this was a possibility and thats why Jayron Hosley was drafted

Giantsin04
07-30-2012, 08:18 PM

What about the Cap hit? The 1.5mil this year wouldn't of been bad but the 4.03mil in each of the next two would be brutal for a guy of Aaron Ross's ability.

Captain Chaos
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Ross was good but not great, got to give him props though when he started we won two superbowls. I think Prince, Coe and the rest of the boys will do just fine.

joemorrisforprez
07-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Decisions are made based upon situations as they are then, not "what if." It's fruitless to worry about that now, who's the next man up gong to be is the real issue.

The situation "then":

T2 was injured (2nd ACL)
Ross had just completed another SB winning season at starting CB.

It was a bad decision, pure and simple. And now it's bitting the Giants in the ***. Not happy to say it, but those are the facts.

joemorrisforprez
07-30-2012, 11:01 PM
What about the Cap hit? The 1.5mil this year wouldn't of been bad but the 4.03mil in each of the next two would be brutal for a guy of Aaron Ross's ability.

It could have been worked out.

Reese rolled the dice with T2 and got snake eyes. Simple as that.

grapenut
07-30-2012, 11:56 PM
not good news

Buddy333
07-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Ross wasn't really that good last year. He was better in the playoffs, but during the regular season he was not hat good. I don't think the Giants made a mistake in letting him go. He wanted more money and they couldn't afford him. They signed TT but protected themselves with the deal. Don't forget they signed a FA corner and drafted another. Looks like Will Hill is looking very good out there at Safety to add more depth to the secondary. Maybe Grant was right about being called back to the team.

Sovereign
07-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Aaron Ross is a terrible CB...

BillTheGreek
07-31-2012, 01:14 AM
This is terrible, Preseason Injures always kill us, Lets hope they can do
some great rehab and get these guys back in September ! We need every one of
them ! GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE G-men !

appodictic
07-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Some of your guys are forgetting Ross had physical problems getting on the field like two years of hamstring issues and when was physically ok had mental issues getting his head in the game. The dude we drafted should rock it.

PRGiant
07-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Even with this happening. Im glad we didnt sign Ross

buster55
07-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Ross did play well in post season but I feel he was average player at best in his career with GIANTS. Too bad for Thomas worked hard to get back on field but thats why we drafted PRINCE. Next man up.

GMENAGAIN
07-31-2012, 07:49 AM
The situation "then":

T2 was injured (2nd ACL)

It was a bad decision, pure and simple. And now it's bitting the Giants in the ***. Not happy to say it, but those are the facts.

I don't recall you saying that it was a bad decision at the time. In fact, I don't recall anyone saying that we should sign Ross over Thomas.

Hindsight is 20/20 . . . . .

Redeyejedi
07-31-2012, 08:03 AM
I don't recall you saying that it was a bad decision at the time. In fact, I don't recall anyone saying that we should sign Ross over Thomas.

Hindsight is 20/20 . . . . . Because Ross was 1 of the worst starting corners in the NFL thats why.

Redeyejedi
07-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Ross wasn't really that good last year. He was better in the playoffs, but during the regular season he was not hat good. I don't think the Giants made a mistake in letting him go. He wanted more money and they couldn't afford him. They signed TT but protected themselves with the deal. Don't forget they signed a FA corner and drafted another. Looks like Will Hill is looking very good out there at Safety to add more depth to the secondary. Maybe Grant was right about being called back to the team.Grants waiting out training camp.He signed August 16th last year I expect the same thing again.

jakegibbs
07-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Wow just wow. Here we go again. This time he doesnt even get to one preseason game. What 2 or 3 practices??? Unreal

No player in NFL history has came back with 3 ACL injuries. Will TT be the 1st hmmmmm.....

GameTime
07-31-2012, 09:09 AM
No player in NFL history has came back with 3 ACL injuries. Will TT be the 1st hmmmmm.....

no he won't....

NWKEffectElement
07-31-2012, 09:35 AM
It could have been worked out.

Reese rolled the dice with T2 and got snake eyes. Simple as that.

Example of someone just wanting to take a shot at Reese.

ryan12
07-31-2012, 09:43 AM
We took a risk on a player with a known injury history and it didn't pay off. Just going to hope that TT can have a nice life outside of football at this point if the ACL injury is as serious as we all expect it to be. Time for Prince to step up!

i think we should have been more careful with him in training camp.tc usually does good with working injured players back in the mix dopped the ball here. what a freaking shame tt so talented and carrer might be over

Redeyejedi
07-31-2012, 09:58 AM
i think we should have been more careful with him in training camp.tc usually does good with working injured players back in the mix dopped the ball here. what a freaking shame tt so talented and carrer might be overHow could they be more careful with him? Tell him not to run? He was running got tangled up and his knee gave out

BigBlue1971
07-31-2012, 10:09 AM
its a shame this guy.....and the Giants have the same problem again in consecutive years and he didnt even get thru a week of practice!

they just need to suck it up now and get the next best guy on the field in T2s place. at least we have a few corners to choose from. maybe one of those guys will step up and be a pleasant surprise! we certainly need something like that!

easterbeast
07-31-2012, 10:39 AM
is it possible he wont miss the year.............they have not announced anything yet i dont think

ps......why doesnt my avatar appear? ...its in my profile

JesseJames
07-31-2012, 11:27 AM
my problem with this Thomas issue is this, it looks to me that his knee wasn't really healed or it wouldn't have been injured so easily and he definitely wasn't going to be ready to play when full contact started for real and pre season games as well. Now that said I wonder what happens if Prince can't step up his play to starter status, that would mean the team is looking for a starter from the subs again, just wondering.....

BurnerNYG
07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Ross wasn't great but some of you are acting like he never made plays. How's T2's knee holding out? Good thing we got Prince and Hosley... T2 was highly overrated on this board big-time.

Morehead State
07-31-2012, 01:11 PM
The situation "then":

T2 was injured (2nd ACL)

2011 was Aaron Ross' first season without missing significant games. He too has a history of injury.

GMENAGAIN
07-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Ross wasn't great but some of you are acting like he never made plays. How's T2's knee holding out? Good thing we got Prince and Hosley... T2 was highly overrated on this board big-time.
And I am sure that you were calling for us to sign Ross over TT before this injury happened, right?

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 01:12 PM
The situation "then":

T2 was injured (2nd ACL)

Easy to say in hindsight

repeatchamps
07-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Obviously losing Thomas stinks but with Prince, Hosley, Coe, Johnson and Tryon I guarantee we will find someone who is actually an improvement over at least Aaaron Ross. I like Tryon do not overlook him. When he was on the field he was doing very well last season. I like Tryon's physical attributes and I think he could thrive. Obviously Prince and Hosley are the guys the Giants want to take the jobs available to them but keep your eye on Tryon. Tryon may leave the Giants no choice but to start him if he impresses as I think he might.

Morehead State
07-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Obviously losing Thomas stinks but with Prince, Hosley, Coe, Johnson and Tryon I guarantee we will find someone who is actually an improvement over at least Aaaron Ross. I like Tryon do not overlook him. When he was on the field he was doing very well last season. I like Tryon's physical attributes and I think he could thrive. Obviously Prince and Hosley are the guys the Giants want to take the jobs available to them but keep your eye on Tryon. Tryon may leave the Giants no choice but to start him if he impresses as I think he might.
In today's NFL you gotta play young guys, including rookies. Losing TT seems bad but we didn't have him last season and Ross was average at best. With Prince, Webby and the supporting cast, we will be fine at CB. Its not like TT was some kind of star.
Plus for the guy who said we should have gone easy on him in camp...its the friggin NFL, if you're knee can't hold up in camp its sure as hell not going to make it through an NFL season. Its bad for TT, but better to know now when we can make adjustments.

BurnerNYG
07-31-2012, 01:25 PM
And I am sure that you were calling for us to sign Ross over TT before this injury happened, right?I was always skeptical about resigning a man with two major knee injuries.

Morehead State
07-31-2012, 01:28 PM
I was always skeptical about resigning a man with two major knee injuries.
How about Hixon? Wanna cut him?

BurnerNYG
07-31-2012, 01:32 PM
How about Hixon? Wanna cut him?I hope you don't think Hixon is gonna be returning kicks in the fashion he did in the past. Besides him bringing that to the table, he was extremely average at receiver.

Morehead State
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
I hope you don't think Hixon is gonna be returning kicks in the fashion he did in the past. Besides him bringing that to the table, he was extremely average at receiver.
Didn't answer my question. If we cut him now we can save cap room. He has had 2 ACL's in 2 years. TT had 3 seasons of complete health before his injury last year.

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 01:41 PM
I hope you don't think Hixon is gonna be returning kicks in the fashion he did in the past. Besides him bringing that to the table, he was extremely average at receiver.

What's wrong with an "extremely average" receiver in the NFL? An "extremely average" receiver behind Nicks and Cruz would be a pretty good deal.

BurnerNYG
07-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Didn't answer my question. If we cut him now we can save cap room. He has had 2 ACL's in 2 years. TT had 3 seasons of complete health before his injury last year.In my opinion once you start blowing out your knees in consecutIve years playIng positions where you're required to run and make cuts, I wouldn't take the chance. You gotta be a real anomaly to overcome those odds.

Buddy333
07-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Signing TT and Hixon was a good move by Reese. Look at the way the contracts where made. I don't think the Giants where putting all their hopes with TT or Hixon. They signed some FA's for secondary depth and they also drafted a player. As far as WR goes, I hope Hixon does make it back completely healthy. The do have a bunch of guys available if he is not though.

bklyn1028
07-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Someone said Prince was on the sidelines when TT was practicing, something about a BB gun in his hand.

Morehead State
07-31-2012, 01:47 PM
In my opinion once you start blowing out your knees in consecutIve years playIng positions where you're required to run and make cuts, I wouldn't take the chance. You gotta be a real anomaly to overcome those odds.
But TT had no problems for several years. It is always a gamble signing formerly injured players, but it was a calculated risk. Plus we know that the Giants have been careful with that kind of thing. Letting SS go to Philly comes to mind.
Hindsight is fine. One could have said that keeping Ross last year was stupid since he hadn't played a full season in his entire career. You do the best you can with the information you have and with the needs you have.
Plus we've drafted 2 corners high in the last 2 drafts. We know what we need.

Morehead State
07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
What's wrong with an "extremely average" receiver in the NFL? An "extremely average" receiver behind Nicks and Cruz would be a pretty good deal.
I really don't think Hixon was signed to be anything more than a #4 WR. Its his ST play that makes him valuable.

GMENAGAIN
07-31-2012, 01:50 PM
I was always skeptical about resigning a man with two major knee injuries.
Were you "skeptical" in writing anywhere on these boards?? If so, I don't recall it.

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 01:50 PM
I really don't think Hixon was signed to be anything more than a #4 WR. Its his ST play that makes him valuable.

Could be. What I like about Hixon is he gives you everything he has no matter what they ask him to do. He's cheap by NFL standards and he wants to play hard for Reese.

Morehead State
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Could be. What I like about Hixon is he gives you everything he has no matter what they ask him to do. He's cheap by NFL standards and he wants to play hard for Reese.
He's a great veteran to have in the WR corps and on ST's.

BurnerNYG
07-31-2012, 02:05 PM
But TT had no problems for several years. It is always a gamble signing formerly injured players, but it was a calculated risk. Plus we know that the Giants have been careful with that kind of thing. Letting SS go to Philly comes to mind.
Hindsight is fine. One could have said that keeping Ross last year was stupid since he hadn't played a full season in his entire career. You do the best you can with the information you have and with the needs you have.
Plus we've drafted 2 corners high in the last 2 drafts. We know what we need.I agree with you but when it comes to both knees when you're a corner In the NFL that has to cover somebody lIke Megatron that's a serious gamble. That's just my opinion. Other than that, I agree with everything you said.

BurnerNYG
07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Were you "skeptical" in writing anywhere on these boards. If so, I don't recall it.I don't put all my thoughts on the board, some I wished I would've kept to myself as it is.

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't put all my thoughts on the board, some I wished I would've kept to myself as it is.

Finally, something we agree on :p

Imgrate
07-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Tt was worth a prove it deal because of his upside. Ross on the other hand is terrible and not worth more than the vet min

BurnerNYG
07-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Finally, something we agree on :pLol at your response and "Lol" at the fact I can't just respond with a simple "Lol" anymore.

byron
07-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Tt was worth a prove it deal because of his upside. Ross on the other hand is terrible and not worth more than the vet min well none us know what the mindset of the front office was...but you can bet it was a calculated move they aren't stupid...surely they looked at all the angles.....I'd sooner think they made a decision to move on with Ross and the t2 deal was as you say....

ShakeandBake
07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Well it sucks that we lost TT, but I can't say I'm surprised with his history. To all those who are complaining that we didn't keep Ross: who's to say that he will stay healthy all year? The guy has been injury prone his entire career. I was really looking forward to seeing Rolle play his natural position at deep safety this year, but that doesn't look to hopeful now unless one of the younger guys steps up. Oh well I guess we will have another year of people complaining that Rolle sucks and is overpaid after he leads the team in tackles again.

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Lol at your response and "Lol" at the fact I can't just respond with a simple "Lol" anymore.

That's two agreements in one thread. DAMN!!

JB456
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
For some reason, I thought TT would recover and be a solid conrtibuter to the Giants this year.

Other the other hand, I was and still am expecting Hixon to go down early (I hope I'm wrong). I just don't have any confidence of his ability to stay healthy.

Major credit should be given to the FO since they had the foresight to draft Hosely. I am soooooo loving that pick right now.

TrueBlue@NYC
07-31-2012, 03:39 PM
If T2 is truly (likely) done again then they'll need to hope that 1) Prince is ready to start - not too different since the nickle CB plays most snaps anyways and 2) Someone out of Hosely, Cole and Moulden can be a competent nickle CB. And we better hope that the health of the unit keeps up for most of the year.

With how many guys we lose in pre-season I'm almost ready to scrap the whole thing. Have one week of meetings and walk throughs and go straight to the season! Well, not really.

Morehead State
07-31-2012, 04:07 PM
If T2 is truly (likely) done again then they'll need to hope that 1) Prince is ready to start - not too different since the nickle CB plays most snaps anyways and 2) Someone out of Hosely, Cole and Moulden can be a competent nickle CB. And we better hope that the health of the unit keeps up for most of the year.

With how many guys we lose in pre-season I'm almost ready to scrap the whole thing. Have one week of meetings and walk throughs and go straight to the season! Well, not really.
This is a defense that has never relied on its corners. Its always been about the pass rush and stopping the run. As far back as the late seventies, but certainly as much so on todays team.
Our defense will not be effected in any meaningful way by the loss of TT. Its tough for him because he seems like a loyal guy to the Giants.

jintsfan666
07-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Enough with the Eagles winning their last four games in a row. Anyone wonder which four powerhouses the defeated?

How about the Dolphins, Jets, Cowboys and Skins. Teams with a combined 25W and 29 Losses at the time they played.

Let's see. Who were the last four teams the Giants played? Gosh. I can't remember. I wonder if they were as good as the Dolphins, Jets, Boys and Skins. I wonder if we were able to win any of those games. Probably not. Else people would not be picking the Eagles to be stronger than us this year.