PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Sash suspended.

GMenFan12401
07-31-2012, 04:54 PM
per Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
"Giants safety Tyler Sash has been suspended for the first four games of the regular season for performance enhancing drugs. #nyg"

http://t.co/T3D4pXY4

Said he took Adderall, so hopefully he'll appeal it and get it reversed like Andre Brown did.

.scrimmage.
07-31-2012, 04:56 PM
sup Deon Grant

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 04:57 PM
just saw this. this is crazy. but i still think we wait for halfway through preseason to talk to grant. still have a lot of young guys competing, and im sure deon wouldn't mind missing training camp

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
wow, tested positive for adderall. i understand that it is prohibited, but i mean come on. i feel like the nfl has much bigger problems with PED's to deal with

Buddy333
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Listening to Sirius the other day they mentioned that there where not sure if Sash could take over the role left open by them not signing Grant. I think with the news yesterday and today they will be calling him soon. I also think that Will Hill is some one to watch.

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
It's still a performance enhancing drug. Who gives a **** if it's adderall.

Why should we figure it out for the NFL where the line is?

Yeah, they have more things to look out for.

But that's like saying, "we're in the midst of a terrorist era, so we're going to cut down on stopping people who pass red lights"

Ridiculous. No , you don't do that. You punish everyone, for any illegality.

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:06 PM
what a load of crap. Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt there someone who recently appealed a adderol suspension and had it overturned?

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:07 PM

But that's like saying, "we're in the midst of a terrorist era, so we're going to cut down on stopping people who pass red lights"

to be fair, adderroll has similar affects as speed.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:08 PM

my point is i disagree with the fact that they are considering this a performance enhancing drug. i have taken adderall before, and there is no way that many athletes take adderall to improve performance on the field. if energy drinks are allowed, adderall should be allowed. plain and simple

Buddy333
07-31-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't know what it was he appealed but Brown appealed his suspension and won.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:10 PM

similar effects as speed, but it is not speed. and also, how many athletes take speed to improve their performance on the field? they take it when they are not playing cause they like the rush. the fact is, it is a drug that has bad effects on your body, but to say it is a performance enhancing drug is stupid. if someone was coked out playing football, you would tell, because they would be playing like crap

Sovereign
sup Deon Grant

No. Rather see what Hill and Janzen can do.

Eli TO Shockey
my point is i disagree with the fact that they are considering this a performance enhancing drug. i have taken adderall before, and there is no way that many athletes take adderall to improve performance on the field. if energy drinks are allowed, adderall should be allowed. plain and simple

the problem is adderall can be abused....the result of taking double the prescribed dosage can feel like you just snorted an 8ball of cocaine

Fuhgeddaboutit

if it's illegal under the NFL terms, then whatever.

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah, my friend took adderall and the results weren't that good. He took a large dosage. I am not OK with saying this was stupid by the NFL.

Just because Sash is a Giant doesn't make him perfect

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:11 PM
similar effects as speed, but it is not speed. and also, how many athletes take speed to improve their performance on the field? they take it when they are not playing cause they like the rush. the fact is, it is a drug that has bad effects on your body, but to say it is a performance enhancing drug is stupid. if someone was coked out playing football, you would tell, because they would be playing like crap

Adderrall is used by college students to study....because of how alert/awake/on point it makes you feel. To me, that seems like something that can definately help on a football field.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
the problem is adderall can be abused....the result of taking double the prescribed dosage can feel like you just snorted an 8ball of cocaine

i agree with what you are saying. is adderall good for you if you abuse it? absolutely not. what i am asking is what is the banned substances list for?

i always thought that the banned substances under the term of "performance enhancing substance" were because they gave athletes an unfair advantage on the field, but maybe i am mistaken.

if it is on the banned list because they are worried about long-term health of players, i am fine with adderall being on the list.

my point is, is marijuana on the performance enhancing substance list? probably not. adderall should be on the marijuana list. not the anabolic steroids list

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:14 PM

yup thats who it was

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82980f7c/article/andre-browns-suspension-overturned

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Actually thinking about taking Adderall anyway. WHat do I need to do to get it prescribed?

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Adderrall is used by college students to study....because of how alert/awake/on point it makes you feel. To me, that seems like something that can definately help on a football field.

i know more people who take adderall to party than to study. the studying benefits, at least personally, is way overblown. I took it twice to study, and found that just drinking coffee and water helped me stay up and study better than adderall did

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
i know more people who take adderall to party than to study. the studying benefits, at least personally, is way overblown. I took it twice to study, and found that just drinking coffee and water helped me stay up and study better than adderall did

Yeah because people think it's cool to take a drug and say they can study better with it.

God forbid coffee was "COOL"

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Actually thinking about taking Adderall anyway. WHat do I need to do to get it prescribed?

if you are being serious, just take guarana instead. its OTC and a natural caffeine pill. adderall is way overblown. its really not that great.

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-31-2012, 05:17 PM
if you are being serious, just take guarana instead. its OTC and a natural caffeine pill. adderall is way overblown. its really not that great.

Naw, I was kidding. But I have to look up guarana. I have problems studying some times. I have some sort of ADD I think. But no way will I take addarall

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah because people think it's cool to take a drug and say they can study better with it.

God forbid coffee was "COOL"

yeah i'll have to 100% agree on this. adderall really is just a fad it seems. it does not help with cognitive development or stimulation much at all. i would actually love to do a placebo test with adderall and college students

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:19 PM

well, I've abused adderall to study all night because of an exam the next morning. It definately "increased my performance".

Adderall is a drug that is abused my lots of people for the affects. I can definately see how it can increase a players performance on a football field.

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:19 PM
please dont compare coffee to adderall...its a rediculous comparison

ALLnygIN
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
No. Rather see what Hill and Janzen can do.

Exactly.. I'm rather excited about the both of these guys, esp Janzen.

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
If andre brown had his suspension overturned, i dont see why Sash wont.

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-31-2012, 05:23 PM
please dont compare coffee to adderall...its a rediculous comparison

Naw, coffee works. Works for me.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
If andre brown had his suspension overturned, i dont see why Sash wont.

apparently he already appealed it and lost according to ralph vacchiano.

and i will compare coffee to adderall, because i have done both and the effects from adderall are not that much greater

besides, adderall has a similar effect on your brain as caffeine does, so they are comparable

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Naw, coffee works. Works for me.

works for me too..but the point is that they are different, much different.

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Obviously, one is a drug that people overuse because they think it gives them some sort of studying powers when it's a dumb excuse to take drugs.

GMenFan12401
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM

and i will compare coffee to adderall, because i have done both and the effects from adderall are not that much greater

besides, adderall has a similar effect on your brain as caffeine does, so they are comparable

Yup.
"Tyler Sash has already appealed his suspension and lost. He will miss the first 4 games of the regular season. #NYG"
Per Vacchiano's Twitter.

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM

its like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari.....sure they're both cars, but one drives much faster!

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
works for me too..but the point is that they are different, much different.

they work by very similar pathways (adderall and caffeine that is), but adderall is definitely more potent

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Unless you're watching Fast and the furious.

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Obviously, one is a drug that people overuse because they think it gives them some sort of studying powers when it's a dumb excuse to take drugs.

there are many alternative non-narcotic drugs that im sure are allowed in the NFL. Sash was careless and didnt do his homework. That, or he didnt care.

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Unless you're watching Fast and the furious.

haha good one

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 05:33 PM

In Brown's case he had failed to notify the League or the team when he was taking it.

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:34 PM
In Brown's case he had failed to notify the League or the team when he was taking it.

so how was that used in his favor in the appeal? im confused. :confused:

TNE Madden
07-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Come on Tsash- your better than that!

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:35 PM
there are many alternative non-narcotic drugs that im sure are allowed in the NFL. Sash was careless and didnt do his homework. That, or he didnt care.

there is definitely something interesting about this. i'm sure he would have been able to find an anxiety drug that was allowed (there has to be at least one)

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
so how was that used in his favor in the appeal? im confused. :confused:

It's not a "banned" substance, I presume, if you're taking it for medicinal purposes and Brown was able to prove he was under a Dr.'s orders and just forgot to make notice.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
It's not a "banned" substance, I presume, if you're taking it for medicinal purposes and Brown was able to prove he was under a Dr.'s orders and just forgot to make notice.

sash said the same thing though, and apparently lost the appeal. unless he is just claiming to be under doctors orders and couldnt prove it?

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
there is definitely something interesting about this. i'm sure he would have been able to find an anxiety drug that was allowed (there has to be at least one)

ive taken a few similar non-narcotic drugs in the past...

im sure drugs like lexapro, welbutrin, etc, etc, are allowed, those dont affect u the same way adderall does..they are non-narcotic..

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:42 PM

interesting, i wonder how this differs from Sash's circumstances...if it was as simple as a doctors note, then im sure it wouldnt have been a problem...unless theres more to the story or sash was taking it without a script.

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 05:44 PM
interesting, i wonder how this differs from Sash's circumstances...if it was as simple as a doctors note, then im sure it wouldnt have been a problem...unless theres more to the story or sash was taking it without a script.

I can't tell you what the drug was in Brown's case. But that's why he won the appeal, which he was confident would happen.

Captain Chaos
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
I think Brown was taking it as a perscribed for a condition, not sure what it was so he had an excuse for taking it and that is why he got off. Let's hope The same is true for Sash...

RoanokeFan
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
I did't realize Sash has already appealed and lost. HELLO DEON GRANT!!

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
I can't tell you what the drug was in Brown's case. But that's why he won the appeal, which he was confident would happen.

it was adderall

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82980f7c/article/andre-browns-suspension-overturned
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82980f7c/article/andre-browns-suspension-overturned)

"I don't know what I can and cannot say," Brown said on May 22. "It was something that I've been on since I've been in the league, which was Adderall. I just forgot to fill out some paperwork and that was it."

GameTime
07-31-2012, 06:10 PM
argue all you want about the effects, what it does, and what it doesn't do. Bottom line is it is a substance he shoudln't be taking.
IMO the man is STUPID.
They know they are going to get tested AND the still take the stuff.
He is STUPID

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 06:12 PM
argue all you want about the effects, what it does, and what it doesn't do. Bottom line is it is a substance he shoudln't be taking.
IMO the man is STUPID.
He is STUPID

agreed 100%

jackmac
07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Someone explain to me why adderall is a PED when its used for anxiety and ADD. Adderall is the combination of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine and is used as part of a treatment program to control symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD; more difficulty focusing, controlling actions, and remaining still or quiet than other people who are the same age) in adults and children The NFL has to a better job communicating what's legal and what's not. This kid should be given a break as Brown was last year,

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 06:21 PM
it was adderall

(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82980f7c/article/andre-browns-suspension-overturned)

maybe because brown was already prescribed it before he played in the NFL, and Sash started taking it once he was in the NFL? only difference i can think of right meow

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
IMO the man is STUPID.
He is STUPID

if a doctor prescribed it to him to treat anxiety for public speaking, which is what sash said in his statement, i do not believe it is stupid. if you have a condition, and a doctor who is extremely well trained tries to help you, i will take his word on if he should be taking it over yours. i'm not trying to be hostile, i'm just saying that idk how you can judge if he should or should not be taking it.

jackmac
07-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Someone explain to me why adderall is a PED when its used for anxiety and ADD. Adderall is the combination of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine and is used as part of a treatment program to control symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD; more difficulty focusing, controlling actions, and remaining still or quiet than other people who are the same age) in adults and children The NFL has to a better job communicating what's legal and what's not. This kid should be given a break as Brown was last year,

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 06:28 PM
if a doctor prescribed it to him to treat anxiety for public speaking, which is what sash said in his statement, i do not believe it is stupid. if you have a condition, and a doctor who is extremely well trained tries to help you, i will take his word on if he should be taking it over yours. i'm not trying to be hostile, i'm just saying that idk how you can judge if he should or should not be taking it.

what is stupid is him not doing his research on the drug prior...especially knowing how stringent the NFL is with substances. Call the NFL and ask...millins of dollars are at stake

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 06:28 PM

i could see why it would be a banned substance if the NFL wants players to take healthier alternatives as mentioned before (Adderall isn't awful for you, but its not great either), but listing it as performance enhancing i think is ridiculous

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 06:31 PM

Im sure the list that the NFL provides is extensive....and if you have questions, there are people who will guide you in the right direction with these kinds of things. its the players responsiblity. Shame on Sash. Im sick of players playing the victim whenever a positive drug test comes up.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 06:32 PM
what is stupid is him not doing his research on the drug prior...especially knowing how stringent the NFL is with substances. Call the NFL and ask...millins of dollars are at stake

i agree that is stupid. i took what gametime said "he should not be taking it" as for his body, not that he shouldn't be taking it since it is banned. that makes more sense. i agree that he should have looked into it, and it is extremely stupid that he did not. i misinterpreted the post

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
i could see why it would be a banned substance if the NFL wants players to take healthier alternatives as mentioned before (Adderall isn't awful for you, but its not great either), but listing it as performance enhancing i think is ridiculous

it may just be a substance in adderal that is banned...which is why players need to be very careful with what they put in their body

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 06:35 PM
it may just be a substance in adderal that is banned...which is why players need to be very careful with what they put in their body

this happens way too often, with way too many athletes who "didn't know it was banned". these guys should honestly just hire someone to look at all their medications and see if they are legal. hell, i'd do that for a decent paycheck. we should form a company

giants8493
07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
the problem is adderall can be abused....the result of taking double the prescribed dosage can feel like you just snorted an 8ball of cocainenot even close fool.

giants8493
07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
it may just be a substance in adderal that is banned...which is why players need to be very careful with what they put in their body amphetamine.

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
not even close fool.

your right...it was just analogy and i wouldnt know. But you sure as hell might...:eek:

Eli TO Shockey
07-31-2012, 06:40 PM
this happens way too often, with way too many athletes who "didn't know it was banned". these guys should honestly just hire someone to look at all their medications and see if they are legal. hell, i'd do that for a decent paycheck. we should form a company

exactly...and these players get paid millions. no excuse

giants8493
07-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Im sure the list that the NFL provides is extensive....and if you have questions, there are people who will guide you in the right direction with these kinds of things. its the players responsiblity. Shame on Sash. Im sick of players playing the victim whenever a positive drug test comes up.it is. I got one in high school. assuming the banned stuff is the same.

giants8493
07-31-2012, 06:42 PM
your right...it was just analogy and i wouldnt know. But you sure as hell might...:eek:well this is awkward....

fansince69
07-31-2012, 06:47 PM
aderall also has medical uses for things like ADHD....so it is possible he was legally taking it....although its abuse is far more widely recognized especially in college students to stay up to study....so maybe he just thought he could get away with it....

hungrrrry
07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
wow, tested positive for adderall. i understand that it is prohibited, but i mean come on. i feel like the nfl has much bigger problems with PED's to deal withAdderal is commonly used in kids (right into adulthood) that have ADHD and likely he has that and the NFL is wrong to suspend him for this. This is the second Giant suspended for this in a year...Andre Brown (though the league lifted his. Sash needs to appeal this!!!

nhpgiantsfan
07-31-2012, 06:54 PM

Exactly! This is the NFL. These guys are professionals. How does this happen. Saying "I didn't know it wasn't aloud." is not an excuse. The Giants have a medical staff, The players have union reps they can talk to. Something like this just shouldn't happen. There is no reason a player should ever "accidently" take a drug that is prohibited by the league.

I would actually be surprised if the statements in Sash's press release are the actual facts of this story. And if that truly is the stroy, then Sash and the Giants should be embaressed for letting something so stupid happen.

tonyt830
07-31-2012, 06:56 PM
very disappointed in Sash. If he needed the medicine for a legitimate condition, then so be it. Did I read correctly from another post, that he got it prescribed for public speaking engagements?

The NFL is strict and has policies in place regarding banned substances. It is up to each and every player in the NFL, from rookie to the most seasoned of vets, to know what substances are banned and what they are putting into their bodies, period.

I don't have any sympathy for Sash---he should have, one way or another, been more aware of the NFL policy on banned substances. There is noone to blame here, except Sash himself.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Exactly! This is the NFL. These guys are professionals. How does this happen. Saying "I didn't know it wasn't aloud." is not an excuse. The Giants have a medical staff, The players have union reps they can talk to. Something like this just shouldn't happen. There is no reason a player should ever "accidently" take a drug that is prohibited by the league.

I would actually be surprised if the statements in Sash's press release are the actual facts of this story. And if that truly is the stroy, then Sash and the Giants should be embaressed for letting something so stupid happen.

still not as bad as other athletes saying they ate meat in another country or some ish and thats why they tested positive for anabolic steroids

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
"I took a prescription drug (Adderall) legally under a doctor's care for an anxiety condition during the off season in March of this year. The purpose was to help me with public speaking appearances. I had no idea that this prescription drug was banned by NFL policy. Although I take full responsibility for this situation, I also want to state that I have never cheated or taken performance-enhancing drugs, and I frown on those who do. I am highly disappointed by the league's decision in this matter, but I will continue to do my best on and off the field. From this point on, I will be more conscientious about every single thing I put in my body. Once again, I want to reiterate that I have never been and will never be associated in any way with performance-enhancing drugs. The timing of this positive test was March 2012, a time during which there is no physical performance required of me. I hope this explanation reinforces my innocence and shows that my intentions were pure.‬"

this is from Sash for anyone who wants to know

Redeyejedi
07-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Both are more talented players then Sash I believe. Head cases though

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Both are more talented players then Sash I believe. Head cases though

if we can tame them, they can be solid contributors on special teams and in certain packages this year for sure

hungrrrry
07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
very disappointed in Sash. If he needed the medicine for a legitimate condition, then so be it. Did I read correctly from another post, that he got it prescribed for public speaking engagements?

The NFL is strict and has policies in place regarding banned substances. It is up to each and every player in the NFL, from rookie to the most seasoned of vets, to know what substances are banned and what they are putting into their bodies, period.

I don't have any sympathy for Sash---he should have, one way or another, been more aware of the NFL policy on banned substances. There is noone to blame here, except Sash himself.being holier than thou is pointless...and these days, unbelievable. **** happens....
I am neither disappointed nor shameful in him as an individual nor a player...if they are smoking crack or doing coke, marijuana, acid and that type of street drugs then yes, I hate him...but this is nothing like that...get real!

speed3freak
07-31-2012, 07:22 PM

Adderall is amphetamine salts.... more commonly known as speed. What are you talkng about man? Amphetamines = speed.

Also, adderall would provide you with a significant boost in concentration, fast twitch ability, and greater focus.

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Adderall is amphetamine salts.... more commonly known as speed. What are you talkng about man? Amphetamines = speed.

when he said speed, i thought of meth. my point was that meth is much worse than adderall. you are correct though, i did screw that up

also, being technical "speed" or "meth" is methamphetamine, which is slightly different than amphetamines, but that is splitting hairs

tonyt830
07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
being holier than thou is pointless...and these days, unbelievable. **** happens....
I am neither disappointed nor shameful in him as an individual nor a player...if they are smoking crack or doing coke, marijuana, acid and that type of street drugs then yes, I hate him...but this is nothing like that...get real!I am not trying to come off as holier than thou dude. I agree that Adderall is not like crack, cocaine, marijuana or acid. But every athlete needs to know what they are putting into their bodies, period!

It doesnt matter if it is a prescription med to help you sleep or focus, or some supplement that you decided to pick up at the local GNC for your body. You need to make sure that none of the ingredients in those meds or supplements are on the NFL's banned substance list.

Trust me, if I was an athlete, I would make sure that nothing in my daily vitamins or even OTC allergy medicine, that is on the leagues banned substance list. If I wasnt sure, I would ask the team trainer/doctor, teammate, or someone in the league office.

giants8493
07-31-2012, 07:32 PM
when he said speed, i thought of meth. my point was that meth is much worse than adderall. you are correct though, i did screw that upspeed is a street for for meth.

http://www.drugs.com/speed.html

ELIte4MVP
07-31-2012, 07:33 PM
very interesting article from PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/31/is-adderall-becoming-the-new-excuse-for-steroids-users/

giants8493
07-31-2012, 07:35 PM

Also, adderall would provide you with a significant boost in concentration, fast twitch ability, and greater focus.I wouldn't call it significant . and speed is an amphetamine but amphetamine is not speed. You don't really get high from adderall....

jerseyrattler
07-31-2012, 08:14 PM
At least he didn't beat his mother

greenca190
07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't call it significant . and speed is an amphetamine but amphetamine is not speed. You don't really get high from adderall....

you certainly do. i was addicted to it throughout high school.

giants8493
07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
you certainly do. i was addicted to it throughout high school. only if you od. which does not seem to be the case in sash's situation.
I have also been on it for years.
Unless you crush it up and snort it like a fiend....

greenca190
07-31-2012, 09:17 PM
dude. have you tried coming off of it?

BlueSanta
07-31-2012, 09:19 PM

I am familiar with a young man that was kicked off a d1 golf program for taking adderall.

giants8493
07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
yeah man. no problems.often I would lose the prescription and have to wait a month for another doctors appointment. I only took the amount prescribed.
my doctor started me on a low dose, then went up to a point where my add was controllable.
Going higher then what you need is when the problems tend to happen.
I got plenty of other ways to feel good believe me.

If I want to get high I have better ways...

In conclusion, assuming Sash is telling the truth, I don't think it is a big deal and I think he should should get it repealed. He should have known that it was banned but, since he wasn't taking it for PED reasons, he assumed it was OK. Never a good idea to assume. The doctor IMO should have known it was banned and that he was dealing with an NFL player.

speed3freak
07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
only if you od. which does not seem to be the case in sash's situation.
I have also been on it for years.
Unless you crush it up and snort it like a fiend....

You are oblivious. Amphetamines have an extreme liklihood of abuse. Adderall certainly does get you "high" and it doesn't have to be in "OD" dosages. A 20mg instant release addrerall will afford you similar feelings to having just blown a half gram of cocaine and last significantly longer. Hell, someone who hasn;t ingested amphetamine salts before can experience the "high" in a dose as small as 10mg.

giants8493
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
You are oblivious. Amphetamines have an extreme liklihood of abuse. Adderall certainly does get you "high" and it doesn't have to be in "OD" dosages. A 20mg instant release addrerall will afford you similar feelings to having just blown a half gram of cocaine and last significantly longer. Hell, someone who hasn;t ingested amphetamine salts before can experience the "high" in a dose as small as 10mg. then for you 20mg IS an OD. or for that person. Extreamly so if you compare it to a half gram of cocaine. Everyone is different. Thats why your supposed to start low to find that point. Most doctors are too lazy. that's what the problem is. They write prescriptions without caring is the problem. Its also why having a doctor you can trust is so vital.
an over dose (at least to me) means more then what you should have taken.

Seriously ive done both. ive studied both. I am not oblivious. I do know what im talking about. Sash really should be fine. but he isnt. It is something that isnt a big deal that is according to the nfl. Thats why it happens all the time. players just assume taking something a doctor gave them or something that seems safe means its ok.

GIANTSACK
07-31-2012, 10:22 PM

U need to see a shrink and have them evaluate your head first. If u land them. Send some my please . It's like legal cocaine

GameTime
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Thats BS too. There are many dif drugs to take care of similar symptoms of any disorder. So the Dr. who prescribed the medicine is a dope then as well as Sash. He knows he is an NFL player. Even he doesn;t Sash should police himslef. Sash screwed himself because he was being a dope. Plain and simple.

DownWitJPP
07-31-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Giants-safety-suspended-four-games.html

Sash explains why he was taking Adderall, as well as a statement from his agent

also sounds like he already appealed, and lost the decision

speed3freak
07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
then for you 20mg IS an OD. or for that person. Extreamly so if you compare it to a half gram of cocaine. Everyone is different. Thats why your supposed to start low to find that point. Most doctors are too lazy. that's what the problem is. They write prescriptions without caring is the problem. Its also why having a doctor you can trust is so vital.
an over dose (at least to me) means more then what you should have taken.

Seriously ive done both. ive studied both. I am not oblivious. I do know what im talking about. Sash really should be fine. but he isnt. It is something that isnt a big deal that is according to the nfl. Thats why it happens all the time. players just assume taking something a doctor gave them or something that seems safe means its ok.

That is not an OD.... I am sorry bro, your serious misinformed right now. I have a background in pharmacology and I am telling you that symptoms of an adderall overdose include confusion, fever, aggressiveness, shakiness and tingling. The "high" effects are NOT symptoms of an overdose. Euphoria simply isn't an overdose symptom.

If you have zero tolerance for amphetamines (as in never ingested), then a dose as small as 5mg will cause euphoria, and all the "high" symptoms that come along with it. This is not an overdose. Period.

Stop propagating misinformation. Its silly that in this day in age, when you literally could do a simple ******* google search and find everything, people are still so misinformed.

Sundown
07-31-2012, 11:04 PM
People blaming Sash are crazy!! Does Sash need to be a chemist and know what is in his meds? If he was taking a supplement then id agree with everyone but not in this case.

GameTime
07-31-2012, 11:29 PM
People blaming Sash are crazy!! Does Sash need to be a chemist and know what is in his meds? If he was taking a supplement then id agree with everyone but not in this case.
What are you kidding me??? Do yuo take meds that you have no idea what you are taking and how much. Not only that knowing you are and NFL player and that you get a LIST THAT TELLS YOU WHAT IS NOT OK TO TAKE!!!!!
How do NOT blame him. You dont need to be a chemist to read the name of the meds the NFL tests for.

Sundown
07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
What are you kidding me??? Do yuo take meds that you have no idea what you are taking and how much. Not only that knowing you are and NFL player and that you get a LIST THAT TELLS YOU WHAT IS NOT OK TO TAKE!!!!!
How do NOT blame him. You dont need to be a chemist to read the name of the meds the NFL tests for.

Please spare me needles rant, very few people ever read ALL the ingredients within a pill. Most look as dosage and how to take it. 99% of the ingredients people cant pronounce. Have you seen the list? No where does it say Adderal you'd have to know to look for amphetamine. he went to get medication and i guarantee you the last thing on his mind was a prescription would have a banned substance in it.

Sundown
07-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Excerpt from the banned list

III. CERTAIN STIMULANTS
Generic Name

Brand Names (Examples)
Amphetamine Greenies, SpeedEphedrine Ma Huang, Chi PowderFenfluramine Phen-Fen, ReduxMethamphetamine ---MethylephedrineMethylphenidate Ritalin, Daytrana, Metadate, MethylinModafinil ---Norfenfluramine ---Pseudoephedrine
Sudafed, ActifedPhentermine Fastin, Adipex, IonaminSynephrine Bitter Orange, Citrus Aurantium

* Except as properly prescribed by Club medical personnel.

GameTime
07-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Please spare me needles rant, very few people ever read ALL the ingredients within a pill. Most look as dosage and how to take it. 99% of the ingredients people cant pronounce. Have you seen the list? No where does it say Adderal you'd have to know to look for amphetamine. he went to get medication and i guarantee you the last thing on his mind was a prescription would have a banned substance in it.
Spare me the excuses. You have to police yourself. These guys know this stuff is huge deal. BTW....why would I ever see an NFL banned substance list.
Obvioulsy they must point it out somewhere. These guys are not going in blind.

Theismann'sLeg
08-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Adderall is a stimulant and would definitely serve to enhance performance for someone who uses it depending on what they wanted to get out of it. Sash saying he was using it for anxiety is kind of alarming because it is not an anti-anxiety med. It is used to treat people with attention and hyperactivity problems. For someone who does not have these issues, it would work more as an energy booster.

Sundown
08-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Sudafed is on the list!! I bet many players have used Sudafed and not even known they were taking a banned substance. You have to get permission to use Sudafed!! Also how can you comment on a list that you've never read? The list is pretty big and you would need help in making sure each and every substance you take isnt on the banned list. These players arent the sharpest tools in the shed, hell the average person would find this tuff. Crappy luck, yes but hardly enough to warrant the criticism he's receiving. See link

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45015990/Banned-Substance-List

ELIte4MVP
08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
i am just in shock that since college students take adderall to study, people automatically think it'll make them better football players. i bet sash was up all night studying his playbook. caffeine is a stimulant. nuff said

Sundown
08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Adderall is a stimulant and would definitely serve to enhance performance for someone who uses it depending on what they wanted to get out of it. Sash saying he was using it for anxiety is kind of alarming because it is not an anti-anxiety med. It is used to treat people with attention and hyperactivity problems. For someone who does not have these issues, it would work more as an energy booster.

Its also used for depression and anxiety. none of us know his medical background

GameTime
08-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Sudafed is on the list!! I bet many players have used Sudafed and not even known they were taking a banned substance. You have to get permission to use Sudafed!! Also how can you comment on a list that you've never read? The list is pretty big and you would need help in making sure each and every substance you take isnt on the banned list. These players arent the sharpest tools in the shed, hell the average person would find this tuff. Crappy luck, yes but hardly enough to warrant the criticism he's receiving. See link

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45015990/Banned-Substance-List
Thanks for the list and I get what you are saying but you even said they need help. Well they should give it them and I am willing to bet that they can ask the team doc about any drug that any doc is prescribing for them and get clearance or get a substitute that is OK.

BlueSanta
08-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Its also used for depression and anxiety. none of us know his medical background

Except he gave the reasons he took it and those are not the reasons. Look most people know this drug for 1 reason, it is used most often for treatment of ADHD when a person can't use Ritalin. In fact, that is why it is most often perscribed. However, it is still an amphetamine and a dangerous 1 at that. The NFL is not the only league to prohibit it's use. As I stated above, I a personally familiar with a young man that was essentially kicked off a prominent Division1 golf team because he was trying to stay up late 1 night to study for an exam and took some of his roomates Adderall perscription when he was told it would help him stay up.

He even told me the effects on him, having never taken it before, were very significant and somewhat alarming.

Simply put, it is a banned substance for a reason and I can see very well why the League did not accept his "stage fright" excuse as a valid medical reason for the perscription. The NFL keeps players well up to date with the information regarding what is a banned substance and what is not. They tell the players they are responsible for what goes into their body. These are grown men. He is responsible.

ELIte4MVP
08-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Except he gave the reasons he took it and those are not the reasons. Look most people know this drug for 1 reason, it is used most often for treatment of ADHD when a person can't use Ritalin. In fact, that is why it is most often perscribed. However, it is still an amphetamine and a dangerous 1 at that. The NFL is not the only league to prohibit it's use. As I stated above, I a personally familiar with a young man that was essentially kicked off a prominent Division1 golf team because he was trying to stay up late 1 night to study for an exam and took some of his roomates Adderall perscription when he was told it would help him stay up.

He even told me the effects on him, having never taken it before, were very significant and somewhat alarming.

Simply put, it is a banned substance for a reason and I can see very well why the League did not accept his "stage fright" excuse as a valid medical reason for the perscription. The NFL keeps players well up to date with the information regarding what is a banned substance and what is not. They tell the players they are responsible for what goes into their body. These are grown men. He is responsible.

what are you talking about? he said it was for anxiety..

BlueSanta
08-01-2012, 01:33 AM
what are you talking about? he said it was for anxiety..

Apparently, you didnt read what his "anxiety" was about.

He took the adderal to help deal with the anxiety of a public speaking engagements.

Sorry, but I see exactly why that does not constitute a valid medical reason under the eyes of the league.

These are grown ups, not kids. He is responsible.

nycsportzfan
08-01-2012, 02:02 AM

He took the adderal to help deal with the anxiety of a public speaking engagements.

Sorry, but I see exactly why that does not constitute a valid medical reason under the eyes of the league.

These are grown ups, not kids. He is responsible. If its anxiety problem, he should be put on Addavan(dont know how to spell it?) or something.. Either way, it stinks, as the kid kind fell to us last yr, as a guy who was supposed to get drafted early according to some circles, and i wanted to see what he could do..

Hows Janzen Jackson been doing? Haven't heard much?

Drez
08-01-2012, 02:10 AM

If its anxiety problem, he should be put on Addavan(dont know how to spell it?) or something.. Either way, it stinks, as the kid kind fell to us last yr, as a guy who was supposed to get drafted early according to some circles, and i wanted to see what he could do..

Hows Janzen Jackson been doing? Haven't heard much?
Haven't heard much about Jackson, but Hill has been looking good.

Drez
08-01-2012, 02:15 AM

Just because it's an off label use doesn't mean it's not a valid medical reason. For example, my wife is prescribed an antacid (can't remember which one), but not for an ulcer or any other stomach issue, but because it functions as an H2 blocker and is helpful in treating her chronic idiopathic urticaria (chronic hives). You won't see that listed an a data sheet about the drug, though.

ELIte4MVP
08-01-2012, 02:36 AM

so anxiety for public speaking is different than anxiety from something else? im confused. last time i checked, the physiological effects from anxiety are all the same, regardless of the situation that causes the anxiety

and i am not saying he isn't responsible, just that anxiety is a reason to take adderall. im sure there are anxiety relieving drugs that are not made up of banned substances, so that is his fault. but his reasoning for taking the medication seems sound to me

BlueSanta
08-01-2012, 12:11 PM
so anxiety for public speaking is different than anxiety from something else? im confused. last time i checked, the physiological effects from anxiety are all the same, regardless of the situation that causes the anxiety

and i am not saying he isn't responsible, just that anxiety is a reason to take adderall. im sure there are anxiety relieving drugs that are not made up of banned substances, so that is his fault. but his reasoning for taking the medication seems sound to me

The problem here is 1 of definition. "anxiety" has more than 1 definition. It can be used to describe nervousness but it is also a mental illness.

"Having anxiety" is not the same thing as having an anxiety disorder, which is classified as a mental illness. In fact, it is the worlds most common mental illness. Everyone gets anxiety of things in their life. Matt dodge often gave me anxiety. However, I do not have an anxiety disorder, which is a medically verifyable condition.

The NFL demands that players taking banned substances like Adderall actually have a verifyable medical disorder. This is a good thing. After all, HGH is fully legal to prescribe for certain medical conditions which include some severe intestinal problems. But, the last thing we need is NFL players taking HGH every time they get a tummy ache then saying they took it because they had intestinal problems.

speed3freak
08-01-2012, 12:27 PM
The problem here is 1 of definition. "anxiety" has more than 1 definition. It can be used to describe nervousness but it is also a mental illness.

"Having anxiety" is not the same thing as having an anxiety disorder, which is classified as a mental illness. In fact, it is the worlds most common mental illness. Everyone gets anxiety of things in their life. Matt dodge often gave me anxiety. However, I do not have an anxiety disorder, which is a medically verifyable condition.

The NFL demands that players taking banned substances like Adderall actually have a verifyable medical disorder. This is a good thing. After all, HGH is fully legal to prescribe for certain medical conditions which include some severe intestinal problems. But, the last thing we need is NFL players taking HGH every time they get a tummy ache then saying they took it because they had intestinal problems.

Just to let you know, adderall is ALSO prescribed for anxiety disorders in which lack of focus is the primary culprit of the anxiety.

BlueSanta
08-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Just to let you know, adderall is ALSO prescribed for anxiety disorders in which lack of focus is the primary culprit of the anxiety.

Yep, i know. As I said orignially ADHD is the most common condition adderall is prescribed for. It is commonly prescribed for that and itsis likely why Andre Brown's suspension for it was lifted. He actually had a verifyable medical condition: adult ADHD. That is why the NFL lifted his suspension.

Tyler Sash used Adderall to address typical everyday anxiety and not a condition like anxiety disorder. That is the distinction and It is a very good 1 for reasons I gave in my post above.

ELIte4MVP
08-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Yep, i know. As I said orignially ADHD is the most common condition adderall is prescribed for. It is commonly prescribed for that and itsis likely why Andre Brown's suspension for it was lifted. He actually had a verifyable medical condition: adult ADHD. That is why the NFL lifted his suspension.

Tyler Sash used Adderall to address typical everyday anxiety and not a condition like anxiety disorder. That is the distinction and It is a very good 1 for reasons I gave in my post above.

in this case i would trust the doctor that prescribed it in his diagnosis of tylers anxiety. also, this came n march when no football was being played, so the entire performance enhancing, even though i dont agree that it is performance enhancing, is not in play.

what worries me more is an article i read on pro football talk that says players may be using adderall to cover up steroid use. i posted it a few pages back. it said that the NFL cannot release the reason for a positive test, so the player can just say it was any drug on the list that caused the positive, and the NFL legally can't say anything (confirm of deny)

this is much more worrisome to me because the NFL denied sash's appeal but accepted browns appeal

BlueSanta
08-01-2012, 07:09 PM
in this case i would trust the doctor that prescribed it in his diagnosis of tylers anxiety. also, this came n march when no football was being played, so the entire performance enhancing, even though i dont agree that it is performance enhancing, is not in play.

what worries me more is an article i read on pro football talk that says players may be using adderall to cover up steroid use. i posted it a few pages back. it said that the NFL cannot release the reason for a positive test, so the player can just say it was any drug on the list that caused the positive, and the NFL legally can't say anything (confirm of deny)

this is much more worrisome to me because the NFL denied sash's appeal but accepted browns appeal

Kinda like all those doctors the MLB "trusted" that were perscribing HGH to baseball players for legit reasons? The NFL can only hold the person they have a contract with responsible and that is the player.

Again, the NFL upheld Browns appeal because he has a medically identifyable condition that he has been battling for some time. He has adult ADHD and Adderall is the 2nd most prescribed medicine for that form of mental illness behind ritalin .

Sash had no such condition. He claimed to have anxiety due to public speaking. Claiming anxiety and having an anxiety disorder are not the same thing. 1 is provable the other is not. Again, the NFL has to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise players claiming to have stomach pains could take HGH since it is a treatment for some intestinal conditions. It makes perfect sense.

GameTime
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I was hard on Sash when this thread first opened up. I called him stupid fro getting caught. Then, through this thread, I was educated on why and what adderall is. He also holds himself resposible which is all I ask. Not that he cares what I think. But its true.....these players have to police themselves. they cant trust any doc and they have to ask questions.

Theismann'sLeg
08-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Either way you look at it from the standpoint that the script to treat his claimed anxiety was legit, or not legit, he has to know what his responsibilities are. A professional in any career has to be aware of what he/she can/cannot do. If I violated a policy at work, I'd be disciplined for it. Same applies for Tyler Sash.

fansince69
08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
When you say you can't trust the doctor...the doctor has to have some accountability.They must know their patient is in the NFL and has some restrictions...if nothing else they should be checking with the team doctors anytime something is prescribed.....My problem with this whole issue is how can the NFL suspend someone that has a medical prescription for whatever drug they find....who are they to tell someone you are NOT allowed to seek medical help?

Theismann'sLeg
08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
He can have the medication, just had to get prior authorization for it instead of having it prescribed first.

Redeyejedi
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
When you say you can't trust the doctor...the doctor has to have some accountability.They must know their patient is in the NFL and has some restrictions...if nothing else they should be checking with the team doctors anytime something is prescribed.....My problem with this whole issue is how can the NFL suspend someone that has a medical prescription for whatever drug they find....who are they to tell someone you are NOT allowed to seek medical help?Yes but then u would have a huge grey area. So many crooked doctors out there that would make up a condition to write a prescription fort an NFL player.Guys would be legally taking steroids all over the place

fansince69
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Yes but then u would have a huge grey area. So many crooked doctors out there that would make up a condition to write a prescription fort an NFL player.Guys would be legally taking steroids all over the place

I was referring more to drugs that actually have medical applications....although some steroids do have medical applications ....the growth hormones that are commonly used to build muscle are not normally in that category.I have a step son who has asburgers (sp)....the only drug that is effective is adderall...does this mean no matter how good he is he could not play in the NFL?

Drez
08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I was referring more to drugs that actually have medical applications....although some steroids do have medical applications ....the growth hormones that are commonly used to build muscle are not normally in that category.I have a step son who has asburgers (sp)....the only drug that is effective is adderall...does this mean no matter how good he is he could not play in the NFL? He could. Andre Brown takes Adderall, too. The problem was that Sash wasn't forthcoming about his being prescribed Adderall. There's a certain protocol that's supposed to be followed, such as submitting forms, etc....

fansince69
08-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks ...I figured there had to be...I do not understand how these players ,their doctors and their agents can be this ignorant of the rules.....I said earlier in this thread that his doctor has to know he is an nfl player...why wouldn't he be responsible enough to check this out?How hard would it be to check with team doctors before prescribing anything?

G4L
08-02-2012, 06:36 AM
similar effects as speed, but it is not speed. and also, how many athletes take speed to improve their performance on the field? they take it when they are not playing cause they like the rush. the fact is, it is a drug that has bad effects on your body, but to say it is a performance enhancing drug is stupid. if someone was coked out playing football, you would tell, because they would be playing like crap LT played pretty well while he was 'coked out'. There are two things that bother me about this story - first adderall is not used to treat anxiety - it is actually quite likely to cause anxiety when used to treat its only labeled indications: narcolepsy and ADD/ADHD. Second, are NFL players usually suspended for their first offense? I thought suspensions only came into play for repeat offenders? Did that change with the new CBA?

Theismann'sLeg
11-26-2012, 07:21 PM
With all the + tests for Adderall, anyone still buying that Sash, Andre Brown, or Will Hill's situations were legit? Seems to be a little bit of an epidemic going on in the NFL.

RoanokeFan
11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
With all the + tests for Adderall, anyone still buying that Sash, Andre Brown, or Will Hill's situations were legit? Seems to be a little bit of an epidemic going on in the NFL.

I don't know, but TC has said the NFL needs to look at their policy

Theismann'sLeg
11-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Coughlin's comments regarding the re-evaluation of policy were based on Sash having a prescription. Just seems odd now that so many players have now tested positive for it after Andre Brown did in the late winter/early spring.

GameTime
11-26-2012, 07:52 PM
just dont know why these players and or thier doctors dont go through the process of reviewing every single thing the take. How hard is it to get in touch with the NFL and say.."is this med ok to take".....
I dont get it.....

Eli TO Shockey
11-26-2012, 08:03 PM

There will always be players looking to find a competitive edge. Happens in all sports. The gig is up and now players are paying the price.

Eli TO Shockey
11-26-2012, 08:04 PM
just dont know why these players and or thier doctors dont go through the process of reviewing every single thing the take. How hard is it to get in touch with the NFL and say.."is this med ok to take".....
I dont get it.....

Because it makes them feel like superman. How bad can it be if the doctor prescribes it.,..is probably what goes through their minds.

Ruttiger711
11-26-2012, 08:10 PM
They brought up an interesting question today on Sirius - why are the majority of these suspensions against players who's positions are in the secondary?

Toadofsteel
11-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for necroing this thread... I thought Sash was suspended a second time...

GameTime
11-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Because it makes them feel like superman. How bad can it be if the doctor prescribes it.,..is probably what goes through their minds.
ok...thats for the guys who are knnowingly doing it. I guess I think some are really taking stuff and trusting their doctors and are actually not doing it for peformance reasons.....maybe I am naive

speed3freak
11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
ok...thats for the guys who are knnowingly doing it. I guess I think some are really taking stuff and trusting their doctors and are actually not doing it for peformance reasons.....maybe I am naive

I completely doubt that these guys truly NEED the adderall. It is analogous to legal speed (it is Amphetamine salts) and absolutely DOES make you feel like the ****ing king of the world if you take it unnecessarily. It actually doesn't surprise me that these guys are taking it, keeps you on your toes and your senses are amplified.

TheAnalyst
11-26-2012, 09:17 PM
I bet JPP is on something. Come on, don't be ignorant. Don't mean to single out JPP but I'm sire all the best athletes on the field are taking something. It's that competitive edge to make the mega bucks. Drug makers are way ahead of drug testers. So on and so on.

gmen0820
11-26-2012, 09:20 PM
I was about to say cut the mother****er lol

Eli TO Shockey
11-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I bet JPP is on something. Come on, don't be ignorant. Don't mean to single out JPP but I'm sire all the best athletes on the field are taking something. It's that competitive edge to make the mega bucks. Drug makers are way ahead of drug testers. So on and so on.

this is rediculous. Might as well use this logic with every one to ever make the hall of fame in any sport. I repeat....rediculous!

Eli TO Shockey
11-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I was about to say cut the mother****er lol

LOL