PDA

View Full Version : David Douglas?

nhpgiantsfan
08-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Saw this kid in the "top plays from camp" video, I was wondering who he was, and if he has any shot at making the team. They are saying he is having a great camp. I assume he is an undrafted rookie.

Cool Papa B.
08-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah, he's an UDFA from Arizona U. Runs a 4.46 40. And based on what I've seen of him in camp, he has good hands to. So far I would say Douglas, Randle, Jernigan & Hixon have distinguished themselves for that 3rd WR spot.

Giantsin04
08-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Tommy made a point of mentioning him during one of his pressers. He was talking about how the 3rd WR spot is a great competition right now and went out of his way to specifically call out Douglas.

sg92
08-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Coaches have been talking him up. Unless they are mis-directing the media intentionally, I think Barden's days are numbered. No one is talking about him.

NorwoodBlue
08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Got to agree, this guy probably makes Barden super expendable.

egyptian420
08-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree....A lot of these these young guys seem to already be ahead of Barden on the depth chart

Redeyejedi
08-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Working on some college footage for him

fansince69
08-03-2012, 12:51 PM
From what was written today Barden is quietly impressing people....not starting an argument...but maybe we all need to let the coaches sort this out...instead of drawing conclusions based on opinion and bias.......just seems like every year there is some undrafted wide receiver that this board immediately anoints the next Jerry Rice.....Please don't point out Cruz...I am well aware of his story,but he is one in like 100......most of them are packing groceries

nhpgiantsfan
08-03-2012, 12:54 PM
From what was written today Barden is quietly impressing people....not starting an argument...but maybe we all need to let the coaches sort this out...instead of drawing conclusions based on opinion and bias.......just seems like every year there is some undrafted wide receiver that this board immediately anoints the next Jerry Rice.....Please don't point out Cruz...I am well aware of his story,but he is one in like 100......most of them are packing groceries

Dude, chill out! Nobody annointed anyone as the next Jerry Rice. It was simply stated that he may be giving Barden a run for his money for the LAST wide receiver spot.

fansince69
08-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Dude, chill out! Nobody annointed anyone as the next Jerry Rice. It was simply stated that he may be giving Barden a run for his money for the LAST wide receiver spot.

I do not need to "chill out"I wasn't getting upset I was just pointing out that this happens every camp....Anyone recall Mix?and it seems like there is one every year,and other than Cruz they don't even make the team let alone make an impact.....bottom line is let's not get to excited before there is something to get excited about.

TheAnalyst
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Coaches have been talking him up. Unless they are mis-directing the media intentionally, I think Barden's days are numbered. No one is talking about him.

Ramses Barden (don’t scoff) has something different about him this year. He, too, is more focused, but it’s showing in a leader-like way with his teammates. With WR Hakeem Nicks on the sideline, he’s letting his play on the field show what he can be, but it appears that there’s also a maturity that came to camp with him.

nhpgiantsfan
08-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I do not need to "chill out"I wasn't getting upset I was just pointing out that this happens every camp....Anyone recall Mix?and it seems like there is one every year,and other than Cruz they don't even make the team let alone make an impact.....bottom line is let's not get to excited before there is something to get excited about.

No one got excited and nobody said he was going to be a big factor. Just that he MIGHT make the team. Stop exagerating.

fansince69
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
No one got excited and nobody said he was going to be a big factor. Just that he MIGHT make the team. Stop exagerating.

you obviously have no idea what I'm talking about......you are totally missing my point....but have a great day.....go Giants

Cool Papa B.
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Ramses Barden (don’t scoff) has something different about him this year. He, too, is more focused, but it’s showing in a leader-like way with his teammates. With WR Hakeem Nicks on the sideline, he’s letting his play on the field show what he can be, but it appears that there’s also a maturity that came to camp with him.

I don't know...On the last Big Blue Kickoff show Anita Marks said he's been up and down. He made a really nice play and then on the next play he runs out of bounds and that pissed off Eli and TC. She also said on slant plays the smaller CB's are covering him and are able to knock the ball out of his hands. At 6'-5" you should be able to have your way with the smaller CB's.

pacco_diablo
08-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that many have brushed off Barden too soon. I've watched him closely over the last few years and I believe that he has a lot to offer. Naysayers will always be what they are but I personally havent lost hope in Barden. I think he will truly make a name for himself once he starts getting more opportunities in games.

Shockeystays08
08-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah, he's an UDFA from Arizona U. Runs a 4.46 40. And based on what I've seen of him in camp, he has good hands to. So far I would say Douglas, Randle, Jernigan & Hixon have distinguished themselves for that 3rd WR spot.

Jernigan and Hixon yes, and now Douglas. but what has Randle done to distinguish himself so far? All I read is he may have some talent but has a long way to go. Has he done something electrifying like the other 3 that I've missed?

Toadofsteel
08-03-2012, 02:14 PM

A wideout doesn't have to be Jerry Rice to be better than Barden... From what I've seen, Sinorice Moss was better than Barden...

NorwoodBlue
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
I think the point should be that Barden hasn't even managed to be good enough to suit up for most of his career. He's been inactive more than active. If Douglas shows he has special teams ability, and longer-term potential, there's no way they keep Barden over him. With Nicks out, Barden should be getting a ton of reps with the first team, and I haven't heard one encouraging thing about him. He's got about three weeks to step it up in a huge way. If he doesn't, I think cutting him for a younger, less expensive player is a no brainer. Douglas has speed, and decent size. From what I've heard, he's also got tremendous hands. I'd say things aren't looking too good for Barden at this point.

TheAnalyst
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
A wideout doesn't have to be Jerry Rice to be better than Barden... From what I've seen, Sinorice Moss was better than Barden...

Barden is in the same boat as Moss, underused and buried in the depth charts. I liked them both when they were on the field, as they seemed to catch everything. Problem is both have issues with getting seperation IMO, and that doomed the smaller Moss.

Redeyejedi
08-03-2012, 03:25 PM
David Douglas vs Oregon 2011. I have Foles games If u want some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMr51oBeTE

BlueMetal 40
08-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Wasn't Douglas one of the UDFA's they brought in before the draft?

dave56dj
08-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Im not trying to hype Ramses but if you haven't heard anything about him in camp you are not reading the reports. Garafolo and Traina have mentioned him quite a bit, and so has RV. You can say he has done this before then not produced in regular season - but you can't say he hasn't done anything in camp b/c he has looked good as has Jernigan. Douglas is very young and has flashed which is all you can hope for, but unlike Barden he is still learning the system. Depalma too. Unfortunately it seemes like talley and collins have not flashed nearly as well. For Douglas its gonna have to be ST's that get him on the team. I know fans a re losing patience with Barden but it would be extremely unlikely that the gmen keep Douglas OVER Barden. But there is a chance they keep them both.

YATittle1962
08-03-2012, 07:47 PM

and for the past couple training camps a lot of folks around here have been screaming....this is Bardens break out year!!!!.....the redzone fade the redzone fade!!!!!

yawn .....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he doesn't make the final 53

YATittle1962
08-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Im not trying to hype Ramses but if you haven't heard anything about him in camp you are not reading the reports. Garafolo and Traina have mentioned him quite a bit, and so has RV. You can say he has done this before then not produced in regular season - but you can't say he hasn't done anything in camp b/c he has looked good as has Jernigan. Douglas is very young and has flashed which is all you can hope for, but unlike Barden he is still learning the system. Depalma too. Unfortunately it seemes like talley and collins have not flashed nearly as well. For Douglas its gonna have to be ST's that get him on the team. I know fans a re losing patience with Barden but it would be extremely unlikely that the gmen keep Douglas OVER Barden. But there is a chance they keep them both.

this happens every year ....Ramses is the training camp MVP

and every year I say the same thing

the kid is just not an NFL caliber player

giantsfan420
08-03-2012, 08:21 PM
this happens every year ....Ramses is the training camp MVP

and every year I say the same thing

the kid is just not an NFL caliber player

hasnt barden been injured 2 of the 3 offseasons coming into this one? last year I know, and i believe the year before that...kinda hard to be the fake training camp stand out when ur injured...give him a chance, i've liked what i've read seems barden has changed things up bc the old way wasnt working. still holding out faith for him

Axels17
08-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Cheers Redeye! Good footage, he looks pretty steady

You know, I'm always down on preseason games, but I gotta say, since I've been paying more attention to the lesser-known guys the Giants bring in, it's been exciting to see what they can do in these games

Redeyejedi
08-03-2012, 08:47 PM
and for the past couple training camps a lot of folks around here have been screaming....this is Bardens break out year!!!!.....the redzone fade the redzone fade!!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he doesn't make the final 53He hasnt earned a roster spot once in my opinion . They have released guys who performed and had more value.The little of Barden that I saw at Cal Poly didnt impress me. The worries i had when we drafted him are the same ones that are still holding him back. He did improve some last year but this is his last chance. He has been even more of a waste then most picks because he gives nothing on Special Teams

dave56dj
08-03-2012, 09:34 PM
YA - in my actual post I say it can be said that he has done this before and then not come up with much in regular season (although injuries are definitely a factor) but that doesn't mean you can say that he isn't performing well in camp and that it means NOTHING that he is. Camp gives us an idea of what a player can do and serves a purpose. Ramses doing nicely is a good thing and may be an indication of his coming of age. Yes camp guys like Mix/ Moss and many more have come and gone but that doesn't mean ramses has to be one of those guys. That said I think jernigan will be the #3.

Neverend
08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
David Douglas vs Oregon 2011. I have Foles games If u want some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMr51oBeTE

Good job on this. Don't see many eye-popping skills or special, dominant qualities but he seems decent. Can work his way open, type of guy who doesnt mind taking a hit, will lay out for the ball even when possibly hearing footsteps behind him, decent job getting to top speed, and from the looks of things he seems like a good route runner. Didn't make any plays that gives you the impression he has great potential but he had a hell of a proday workout, so he could be an underrated athlete. Who knows, he did play in the shadow of juron criner

NorwoodBlue
08-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Barden in the two minute drill today, drops two passes. I'm hearing all the usual yap about his "new attitude" and his leadership; but, nothing about his play. He's not getting it done so far, and I have a feeling he's toast unless he really shines in the pre-season games.

fansince69
08-03-2012, 11:31 PM

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he doesn't make the final 53

Why are you saying this to me? My post had nothing to do with defending Barden...reread it...My post was all about how excited everyone on these boards get over some undrafted free agent that catches a ball in practice

juice33s
08-03-2012, 11:47 PM
He hasnt earned a roster spot once in my opinion . They have released guys who performed and had more value.The little of Barden that I saw at Cal Poly didnt impress me. The worries i had when we drafted him are the same ones that are still holding him back. He did improve some last year but this is his last chance. He has been even more of a waste then most picks because he gives nothing on Special Teams
That's one area that it seems Douglas could contribute on. 4.4 speed and 20 reps on bench would lead me to believe he's a good enough athlete to make some things happen on kick coverage

Drez
08-04-2012, 12:04 AM
From everything I've read, Barden is having a very good camp.

08-04-2012, 12:07 AM
How many WRs will we keep? How many to Practice squad? Would Barden be eligible for PS?

Rat_bastich
08-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Nope, Barden has accrued a year on the active roster and so is not eligible for practice squad. Six or more games on the 53 man roster or injured reserve is a "year".

jomo
08-04-2012, 03:45 PM
He hasnt earned a roster spot once in my opinion . They have released guys who performed and had more value.The little of Barden that I saw at Cal Poly didnt impress me. The worries i had when we drafted him are the same ones that are still holding him back. He did improve some last year but this is his last chance. He has been even more of a waste then most picks because he gives nothing on Special TeamsBut Barden sure is tall. (red)
Where is the red in on these boards? Can someone help me with that?

Snappinnecks
08-04-2012, 04:52 PM
I've been combing the damn twitter feeds for updates on practice and this dude gets mentioned almost every day. It will interesting to see what he can do in a game.

Cool Papa B.
08-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Had another solid practice today making some nice catches. He doesn't look particularly fast, But he has good hands and it looks like all he needs is a tiny opening to catch the ball. Can't wait to see him in the preseason games.

M00KIE
08-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Barden is about to go the way of Micah Rucker. Alot of potential, just couldn't cut it.

GameTime
08-05-2012, 09:26 AM
But Barden sure is tall. (red)
Where is the red in on these boards? Can someone help me with that?

go to Settings. Under "My Account" choose General Settings and scroll down and under Miscelaneous Options/Message Editor Interface choose Enhanced Interface

NorwoodBlue
08-05-2012, 10:11 AM
He looks like he might be a really good possession type receiver. Kind of the way Smith could before his knee injury. Special teams ability may help himmake the team too. Amazig to think this time last year everyone was panicing over not having any receivers. Now it looks like an area of depth for the team.

Captain Chaos
08-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I like it, hungrey and able to make some plays. With his speed he could be useful at multiple special teams positions. If they need him he can come in and could be a solid role player.

giantsfan420
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
he didnt look anything more than avg to me from admittedly the little i've seen from him. he doesnt seem all that quick or fast. doesnt seem to be all that fluid in his cuts, seems like a good depth guy to have but i wouldnt trust him with anything more.
gimme barden over him any day.

rxc999
08-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Can he be like Jordy nelson of packers??

whakka
08-05-2012, 01:37 PM
looks like he has amazing hands. if eli develops chemistry with him, watch out. that #1 top play from 8/4 looked like they had really good timing with one another.

08-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Saw this kid in the "top plays from camp" video, I was wondering who he was, and if he has any shot at making the team. They are saying he is having a great camp. I assume he is an undrafted rookie.

I say we put him with the 1st team to see how he does. This might be the end of the Ramses Barden experiment.

nycsportzfan
08-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Tommy made a point of mentioning him during one of his pressers. He was talking about how the 3rd WR spot is a great competition right now and went out of his way to specifically call out Douglas. Ya, hes another guy who i was intrigued by with are UDF's.. Seen him play a few times and he produced, and has solid wheels and build.. I could see him becoming a solid KR or PR if given a real shot.. Hes got enough wiggle and speed and plays with kinda a reckless abandon...

penguinfarmer
08-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Can he be like Jordy nelson of packers??

Racist. :)

Carter.525
08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
those highlight catches were nice

PierrePaul
08-06-2012, 08:21 PM
The top plays are starting to look like a douglas mix tape. THe dude can catch the ball in traffic. can he get open???

GiantsDigital
08-06-2012, 08:39 PM
He's got two more today!

http://www.giants.com/media-vault/videos/Training-Camp-Top-Plays-86/d2ab1575-eb1e-4bbc-8df7-9ee6a6ded100

whakka
08-06-2012, 09:14 PM
very nice. wow this guy is looking really good.

jomo
08-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Two comments:
1. He does look good.
2. Most cell phones today can produce better quality video that what they are showing on the Giants website. All they need is a college intern with a digital camera costing about $299 at Best Buy and they can put some clips up there that are decent.

Gimaniac
08-06-2012, 10:56 PM
How does this guy not make the team?

fourth&forever
08-06-2012, 11:08 PM
How does this guy not make the team?
we're kind of loaded at wr.
but maybe he will.

Carter.525
08-06-2012, 11:34 PM
If he is good on special teams, I could see him taking Barden's spot..

I dont understand how Barden is the 5th/6th WR and contributes nothing on special teams

Gimaniac
08-07-2012, 06:45 AM
we're kind of loaded at wr.
but maybe he will.

Loaded with question marks. Where's Barden and Jernigan on the highlight reels ?

nhpgiantsfan
08-07-2012, 07:50 AM
I would imagine that the only way Douglas makes the team is if he can impress on special teams. TC was asked about him in his presser yesterday and he said that he is having a very good camp and that he wants to see him return kicks and play gunner.

Cool Papa B.
08-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Another solid day for Douglas yesterday:

Rookie WR David Douglas, who continues to impress, made a leaping catch of a Perrilloux pass over CB Antwaun Molden. A bit later, Douglas rose up over rookie S Janzen Jackson for a reception

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/giants_practice_boley_returns_prince_FxSzCZ5G90qus G8VGbeP8K#ixzz22twh95Fw

jakegibbs
08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Also Age: 23. Height: 6-1 Weight: 205. He's a keeper.

GoDeep80
08-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Reminds me of (not racist) Kevin Walter of the Texans.