PDA

View Full Version : Mathias kiwanuka impressing, young wide receivers shining, and more

RoanokeFan
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
MATHIAS KIWANUKA IMPRESSING, YOUNG WIDE RECEIVERS SHINING, AND MORE (http://www.giants101.com/2012/08/03/mathias-kiwanuka-impressing-young-wrs-shining-other-new-york-giants-camp-notes/)

Excerpt: "Sudden onsets of ominous clouds followed by thunder and lightning cut the August 1st practice short, but not before a few things were noticed. August 2nd practice proved to be a bit more productive for the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants." Read more...

RoanokeFan
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Clearly we are seeing a very different pre-season than we did last season.

fansince69
08-03-2012, 01:34 PM
that is a nice read and very informative for those of us who weren't at camp those days ...thanks RF as always

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-03-2012, 02:00 PM
You know why? Because Tom Coughlin is the mother-****ing coach son!

nhpgiantsfan
08-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Why in the world is Victor Cruz taking reps as a punt returner. I would rather have Kevin Boothe returning punts before I risk injury to Cruz back there. Especially with Nicks being down.

fansince69
08-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Why in the world is Victor Cruz taking reps as a punt returner. I would rather have Kevin Boothe returning punts before I risk injury to Cruz back there. Especially with Nicks being down.

Good point...Jason Sehorn memories came flooding back

ryan12
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM

lmfao very true

gumby74
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
i love the fact that Prince is finally playing with the 1st teamers.

RoanokeFan
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM

No one's tackling him in practice. We need to find more than one returner. Hixon should be a shoe in, but if he goes down, we NEED another reliable returner.

embeshAtYa
08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I firmly believed we were goint to repeat after our last superbowl and wouldv..plax... I feel the same way now. We improved our roster and will improve our play. Health is the biggest fear.

nhpgiantsfan
08-03-2012, 03:56 PM
No one's tackling him in practice. We need to fins more than one returner. Hixon should be a shoe in, but if he goes down, we NEED another reliable returner.

I agree we need to find more than one punt returner, but under no circumstances should it be Victor Cruz.

ALLnygIN
08-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Good point...Jason Sehorn memories came flooding back

^^ This!!! I do not want to see Cruz back there when we have hixon, wilson, hosley jernegan what is the point!

jomo
08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
MATHIAS KIWANUKA IMPRESSING, YOUNG WIDE RECEIVERS SHINING, AND MORE (http://www.giants101.com/2012/08/03/mathias-kiwanuka-impressing-young-wrs-shining-other-new-york-giants-camp-notes/)

Excerpt: "Sudden onsets of ominous clouds followed by thunder and lightning cut the August 1st practice short, but not before a few things were noticed. August 2nd practice proved to be a bit more productive for the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants." Read more...You sure know how to fire up Giants fans RF. Nice read, let's play the games!

RoanokeFan
08-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I agree we need to find more than one punt returner, but under no circumstances should it be Victor Cruz.

He practiced punt returns last year. He's elusive, good hands, great vision, and has the ability to make the first guy miss. They won't use him unless they are desperate in a game situation. They have five or six guys doing it.

RoanokeFan
08-03-2012, 04:16 PM
You sure know how to fire up Giants fans RF. Nice read, let's play the games!

Thank God Coughlin only listens to me :cool:

Buddy333
08-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Other teams use their starting players to return kicks. It's not that big of a deal.

fansince69
08-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Other teams use their starting players to return kicks. It's not that big of a deal.

not often..usually younger players

giantsfan420
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
its reports like this that lead me to believe we're primed for a repeat. Loved every word of that article, can't single one aspect out over another.

It seems that our front office and scouts have been really looking at WR's these past few years. They are giving Eli the targets he needs, love hearing how our wr core is the one to watch this preseason bc of the competition. Seems like JJ could legit be the 3rd. Same with RR and Hixon. AND BARDEN?

actually let me single him out a second. Theres a myth around here that barden always stands out during TC and preseason. Well, I dunno how bc he's been injured for a strong part of his career during the offseason. he wasnt able to do anything last offseason bc of the PUP list. I like hearing how he is making a case for himself and carrying himself the right way. I'd absolutely LOVE if Barden became a viable threat. not even the 3 although if he can be effective out on the perimeter than we can slide cruz in the slot, but just a guy who gets like 5 targets a game...If Nicks and Cruz are the starting two, and JJ, RR, RB, and DH can all be a viable 3, think about the diff looks we can give and how much the opposing dbacks have to prepare for. You spent all week focusing on Nicks/Cruz and now u got Barden and JJ lining up across from you burning you...love the possibilites. Really pulling for Barden bc it just adds a dimension to our offense

RoanokeFan
08-03-2012, 05:15 PM
its reports like this that lead me to believe we're primed for a repeat. Loved every word of that article, can't single one aspect out over another.

It seems that our front office and scouts have been really looking at WR's these past few years. They are giving Eli the targets he needs, love hearing how our wr core is the one to watch this preseason bc of the competition. Seems like JJ could legit be the 3rd. Same with RR and Hixon. AND BARDEN?

actually let me single him out a second. Theres a myth around here that barden always stands out during TC and preseason. Well, I dunno how bc he's been injured for a strong part of his career during the offseason. he wasnt able to do anything last offseason bc of the PUP list. I like hearing how he is making a case for himself and carrying himself the right way. I'd absolutely LOVE if Barden became a viable threat. not even the 3 although if he can be effective out on the perimeter than we can slide cruz in the slot, but just a guy who gets like 5 targets a game...If Nicks and Cruz are the starting two, and JJ, RR, RB, and DH can all be a viable 3, think about the diff looks we can give and how much the opposing dbacks have to prepare for. You spent all week focusing on Nicks/Cruz and now u got Barden and JJ lining up across from you burning you...love the possibilites. Really pulling for Barden bc it just adds a dimension to our offense

Anything is possible but Ramses needs to step up this season. If he starts not suiting up for games again he's not going to make it into next season. Having said that, I hope every swinging **** on the team has a break out season.

JJC7301
08-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Excerpt: "Sudden onsets of ominous clouds followed by thunder and lightning cut the August 1st practice short, but not before a few things were noticed. August 2nd practice proved to be a bit more productive for the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants." Read more...
Awesome read -- glad to see that everyone is ALL IN. Thanks for posting.

JJC7301
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
lmfao very true
And that article said that it wasn't well received by the fans. I wouldn't even for 1 sec about putting Cruz back there. Crazy.

gumby74
08-03-2012, 05:48 PM

What keeps me from feeling optimistic about the Giants chances this era is the sinking feeling I got when we got plastered by the Brows in 2008. The media were all over us. We were awesome. We were unbeatable. And then we lay an egg on national television and got embarassed by a team we should have beaten easily. With this team we'll never know what we're going to get. And that drives me batty.

giantsfan420
08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
huh? you lost me. kinda seems like a troll job almost, ur slipping. what does the browns game and laying an egg on national tv and "getting embarrassed" have to do with how this offseason is going? Besides, only one teams ever gone undefeated all the way. We lost, sucked. but we were what, 11-1?? Yeah, sure was tough to hold my head up after that loss.
I get how we are off and on, and it drives me bonkers too. But I dont know what the rest of your post has to do with anything.
And listening to ELi and some of the other leaders, seems like consistency is a big objective. all i hear is "well we won the SB and thata great, but we won 9 games and didnt play consistently". I'm actually expecting the team to produce like it did after the 2007 SB. Winning a championship is great for a thousand reasons, but one in particular is that it shows the players what is needed on a day in day out basis to become a champion. i saw that in 08, and i believe i'll se that this season, every guy knowing what is required, and not only matching but exceeding them.

i know im a huge homer, but i am honestly saying 12 wins AT LEAST even with the schedule. I know, I will get flamed. but i'm expecting to see that team from the 6 game streak all season...

NYG4lifeNYK
08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
GOOD STUFF!!! ;)

Wow I can't get over how awful these smiliies are ..... :(

I want the beer mug back and the thumbs up!

fansince69
08-03-2012, 06:03 PM
huh? you lost me. kinda seems like a troll job almost, ur slipping. what does the browns game and laying an egg on national tv and "getting embarrassed" have to do with how this offseason is going? Besides, only one teams ever gone undefeated all the way. We lost, sucked. but we were what, 11-1?? Yeah, sure was tough to hold my head up after that loss.
I get how we are off and on, and it drives me bonkers too. But I dont know what the rest of your post has to do with anything.
And listening to ELi and some of the other leaders, seems like consistency is a big objective. all i hear is "well we won the SB and thata great, but we won 9 games and didnt play consistently". I'm actually expecting the team to produce like it did after the 2007 SB. Winning a championship is great for a thousand reasons, but one in particular is that it shows the players what is needed on a day in day out basis to become a champion. i saw that in 08, and i believe i'll se that this season, every guy knowing what is required, and not only matching but exceeding them.

i know im a huge homer, but i am honestly saying 12 wins AT LEAST even with the schedule. I know, I will get flamed. but i'm expecting to see that team from the 6 game streak all season...

you really can't see his correlation?...that was the last time after we won a superbowl and were on top of the world and it all crashed pretty suddenly.

giantsfan420
08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
you really can't see his correlation?...that was the last time after we won a superbowl and were on top of the world and it all crashed pretty suddenly.

in that way yeah i guess. didnt think of it like that. even still, i stand by my post. we lost to the browns, ok. we were 11-1. if his point was to show how we crashed and burned then why not use the plex incident, or the eagles game, bc that browns game was the first loss of the season, and really, not a big deal in any way. just a bad game.

and i dont see how that browns game correlates to my post about the training camp report at all bc it doesnt

fansince69
08-03-2012, 06:33 PM
in that way yeah i guess. didnt think of it like that. even still, i stand by my post. we lost to the browns, ok. we were 11-1. if his point was to show how we crashed and burned then why not use the plex incident, or the eagles game, bc that browns game was the first loss of the season, and really, not a big deal in any way. just a bad game.

and i dont see how that browns game correlates to my post about the training camp report at all bc it doesnt

I think he is trying to point out that no matter how good we are or how good we as fans think we are...sometimes it doesn't take much to ruin a good team....and just do not let your enthusiasm get to out of control.....and he sighted that year as an example

SweetZombieJesus
08-03-2012, 06:45 PM
No one's tackling him in practice. We need to find more than one returner. Hixon should be a shoe in, but if he goes down, we NEED another reliable returner.

I'd risk Reuben Randle before I risked Victor Cruz. Let some WRs at the bottom of the depth chart do it.

RoanokeFan
08-03-2012, 07:07 PM
I'd risk Reuben Randle before I risked Victor Cruz. Let some WRs at the bottom of the depth chart do it.

Is there really any more risk in fielding punts in a non-contact drill than contorting his body in order to catch a pass?

nhpgiantsfan
08-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Is there really any more risk in fielding punts in a non-contact drill than contorting his body in order to catch a pass?

As long as they don't consider using him in any games, pre-season or regular season.

RoanokeFan
08-03-2012, 07:20 PM
As long as they don't consider using him in any games, pre-season or regular season.

My guess is they just want him used to fielding punts "in case."

keyofgmen
08-03-2012, 07:21 PM
1st..show me evidence that punt returners get hurt more often than WR.
2nd wasn't Seahorn injured on a kickoff?
3rd A punt return of 30 yrds or so can do wonders to your ability to score on the next drive.

I am OK with Cruz takin it.

ShakeandBake
08-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Its reminiscent of last year how we used Ross when we had no CB depth

njsean
08-03-2012, 08:02 PM
If the Eagles can use Desean, we can use Cruz if he's the best skilled at it.

If not, it's a moot point. Punt returns aren't the same as kick off returns, and even those are becoming less dangerous because of the new rule.

nhpgiantsfan
08-03-2012, 10:01 PM
3rd A punt return of 30 yrds or so can do wonders to your ability to score on the next drive.

It's not that they get hurt more than WR's. But since he is so important to us at WR, why risk him getting hurt at a position that yields little reward that any number of WRs or CBs can probably do just as good. DJax does it because he is exceptional at it, and showed those talents as a rookie. His situation is not the norm. There aren't too many WR's with 1500 yard seasons returning punts. Sehorn ruined a promising career on that return whether it was a KR or PR.

Redeyejedi
08-03-2012, 10:38 PM
My guess is they just want him used to fielding punts "in case."I wouldnt mind using him back there once in awhile if u are having trouble moving the Football. Not on a regular basis but if u need a spark is not a bad idea. Carolina lets Steve Smith do it now and again

nycsportzfan
08-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Anything is possible but Ramses needs to step up this season. If he starts not suiting up for games again he's not going to make it into next season. Having said that, I hope every swinging **** on the team has a break out season. Bardens got a ton of talent, and i've backed him since day, untiill finally giving up going into this season, because the drafting of Randle, and how much i love Jerrell Jerrnigan, and have been on record saying Julian Talley is someone to watch out for this preseason, as the UMASS boy was aweseome at UMASS, and has some explosion and came up big against Michigan..

Barden is mad talented, and if he cna stay healthy, chances are he could be a weapon for us.. I think hes got very solid hands to go with his build, which is important being his size, and not having much ability to seperate.. Barden has sports in his blood, and i'm back on the bandwagon!!!!lol I'm sorry i got off Ramses, but i'm back!! All though, Jerrnigan is the guy i expect to explode on the scene this yr

GiantVibes
08-04-2012, 03:29 PM

I agree. I seem to recall starters like Brian Westbrook and Desean Jackson having a huge impact on returns against us.

fansince69
08-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I agree. I seem to recall starters like Brian Westbrook and Desean Jackson having a huge impact on returns against us.

Both of those guys return punts in situation where a good return meant the game...they did not(especially Westbrook) return all the time