PDA

View Full Version : Manningham....really?

ebick
08-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Mario Manningham states that wins are more important than stats.......really Mario? You just left a team that won it all because you wanted to be the featured receiver.......I don't begrudge you anything, but come on, man!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046142/article/mario-manningham-of-49ers-values-wins-not-stats?module=HP11_headline_stack

TheAnalyst
08-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Well, Ive been saying it for a while now, Manningham is pretty ******ed. Good for him though. Now he can disappear like Boss, Gibril Wilson, Will Allen, David Tyree, Derek Ward, ect... This year we can add Manningham, Jacobs and Ross probably.

greenca190
08-05-2012, 11:55 AM
do we even know if nyg offered him a contract?

Neverend
08-05-2012, 11:56 AM
do we even know if nyg offered him a contract?

Nobody really knows

titwio
08-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Mario had a TD in every game of the playoffs and one of the biggest catches in a Superbowl to help the Giants win a championship.

Can't we just be grateful for his contributions and wish him well....ffs.

BurnerNYG
08-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Mario had a TD in every game of the playoffs and one of the biggest catches in a Superbowl to help the Giants win a championship.

Can't we just be grateful for his contributions and wish him well....ffs.My thoughts exactly. Some posters was spoiled as a child, mom bought them everything but as soon as she didn't buy them that new Spongebob game she was the worse mom ever lol.

ebick
08-05-2012, 12:24 PM
My thoughts exactly. Some posters was spoiled as a child, mom bought them everything but as soon as she didn't buy them that new Spongebob game she was the worse mom ever lol.

Really?!?!?

I don't think it's that at all.....my original point, for those capable of reading.....was simply "keep it real". Don't say you don't care about stats when we all know you do.

nhpgiantsfan
08-05-2012, 12:25 PM

Totally agree. There is no indication that the Giants even made him an offer, yet people are acting like he ditched us. However, on the flip side Steve Smith jumped to the Eagles without ever letting Reese counter offer, and so many here were all over his jock hoping he would return.

Good Luck Mario! Thanks for your contributions during the playoff run. Your catch in SB46 will be shown in Giants highlight reels for decades.

penguinfarmer
08-05-2012, 12:42 PM
SF is a good situation for him. He'll have more opportunities as a player on another contender while getting a contract he was hoping for. If he really just wanted money and opportunities, he would have picked the Rams.

Diamondring
08-05-2012, 12:49 PM
My thoughts exactly. Some posters was spoiled as a child, mom bought them everything but as soon as she didn't buy them that new Spongebob game she was the worse mom ever lol.Now they are spoiled by the Giants.

Diamondring
08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Mario has talent and will be successful with the 49ers.

Die-Hard
08-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Mario has talent and will be successful with the 49ers.

If he wanted stats, the last place he should have gone was SF. Alex Smith is garbage, and they run the rock 80% of the time anyway

BurnerNYG
08-05-2012, 12:58 PM
If he wanted stats, the last place he should have gone was SF. Alex Smith is garbage, and they run the rock 80% of the time anywayI think Alex Smith has gotten better as a QB but maybe that's just me. I'm gonna wait til after this season to see if last yr was a fluke or not. Harbaugh might''ve been the coach he needed.

penguinfarmer
08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
He undoubtedly got better. But he's still along the lines of a game manager. That offensive line is built to run, they allowed the most sacks last season. They want to run the ball first.

BurnerNYG
08-05-2012, 01:13 PM
He undoubtedly got better. But he's still along the lines of a game manager. That offensive line is built to run, they allowed the most sacks last season. They want to run the ball first.I think they gave up a lot of coverage sacks and also Smith be looking to scramble at times. That damn guy is quick too... geez!

SweetZombieJesus
08-05-2012, 01:55 PM

I'm glad he finally matured but all I can remember is 3.5 years of running the wrong routes, etc. What really irritated me about Manningham was on EVERY CATCH he would loop 3 yards backwards, that drove me nuts!

I wish him well but of the receivers seeing major time he's the one we can afford to lose. It just sucks that we finally got potential out of him after years of struggling and then we lose him to free agency.

BlueReign
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Let's see if Smith could get all his weapons the ball consistently.

rcrane
08-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I really dont see a problem with what manningham said here lol. I dont remember manningham complaining while he was with the giants about anything. Leaving was just business. I guess i could see people being angry if he turned down more money from the giants? but theres no way that happened lol.

ebick
08-05-2012, 02:06 PM
There is no indication that the Giants even made him an offer, yet people are acting like he ditched us.
Wasn't it kind of common knowledge that given the Giants cap position and the effect that MMs play-off performance would have on his market value that Giants weren't going to be able to make a competitive offer? Again, I don't begrudge him taking what was out there, but CLEARLY, he made the comments about wanting to go to a team where he would be the #1 or #2 guy, which he wasn't here. And again, that's all good......I hope he can prove that he belongs in that situation. Just don't make the statement that you went there for wins and don't care about stats. Keep it real.

Diamondring
08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm not mad that he left but I wish he could havd stayed on the team cause I thought his value was high and he could do better with us.

Now we got another wr in the high rounds and I now am happy.

Gmen2005
08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
SF is a solid team, he'll get plenty of wins on that team. I don't see what the issue is here.

RoanokeFan
08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Mario Manningham states that wins are more important than stats.......really Mario? You just left a team that won it all because you wanted to be the featured receiver.......I don't begrudge you anything, but come on, man!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046142/article/mario-manningham-of-49ers-values-wins-not-stats?module=HP11_headline_stack

Wins are more important than stats until a player retires and hopes to get a shot at the HOF. Wins are about teams, stats are about players.

SweetZombieJesus
08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Now we got another wr in the high rounds and I now am happy.

Exactly, time for Reuben Randle to show us what he's got

ashleymarie
08-05-2012, 03:34 PM

+1. Absolutely. David Tyree too. They gave their best to the NYGiants at a place and time. I'm with you; I am grateful.

easterbeast
08-05-2012, 03:39 PM
all atheletes sell the same load of crap................".its not about money., its about winning.......blah , blah, blah".
stats=money

Giantslb66
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks for everything MM, let's hope the Giants can beat the Niners in the playoffs again.

dave56dj
08-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Manninghams career will not fizzle in San Fran but with a heavy rush attack and a lesser qb in alex smith he wont put up gaudy numbers - but he wouldnt as a three here either. Still he can flourish and win in San Fran but to me it was the right move to let him go with contracts needed in upcoming years for jpp hakeem and cruz. Not to mention randle jernigan barden and maybe douglas in the wings.

As far as mario saying winning means more then stats I can buy that. San fran won more games then us last year - albeit not the ultimate win and has a good team. Its really difficult to predict superbowl winners but anyone who claims we have a LOT better chance then San Fran isnt being fair. They took us to OT - that have a great D and have improved there O. Don't get me wrong I'll pick the Giants and Eli everyday - but its not as though he bolted for Jacksonville and a boat load of cash. He went to a run first offense - who wins with D.

The guy has great skill - not the best in reading a d - but can get deep on you and very fast feet. He was well worth the third round pick and was so instrumental in our run last year. I wish him well.

ebick
08-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Wins are more important that stats until a player retires and hopes to get a shot at the HOF. Wins are about teams, stats are about players.

What's the point of your post, RF? I'm certainly not questioning that wins are more important than stats.....I am questioning MMs real motivation.....he's saying now wins, but I don't believe that was what he was saying before. Being as the Giants just won the SB, if winning was what he REALLY wanted (primarily, vs. the spotlight), I would think he would have gone to JR and said, "where do I need to be contract-wise to make this work between us?"

miked1958
08-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Mario Manningham states that wins are more important than stats.......really Mario? You just left a team that won it all because you wanted to be the featured receiver.......I don't begrudge you anything, but come on, man!http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046142/article/mario-manningham-of-49ers-values-wins-not-stats?module=HP11_headline_stack If this was really the case he would of stayed on as our 3rd WR.

MattyD21
08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
He says this because he realized that he now has Alex Smith throwing him the ball ( who cant) and mario probley gets no reps in with harbaugh's 5 runningbacks 5 other wr's he has

rainierjef
08-05-2012, 06:44 PM
i wish him luck, but his route running needs to improve, especially playing with alex smith as your QB.

I Bleed Blue
08-05-2012, 08:32 PM
What's the point of your post, RF? I'm certainly not questioning that wins are more important than stats.....I am questioning MMs real motivation.....he's saying now wins, but I don't believe that was what he was saying before. Being as the Giants just won the SB, if winning was what he REALLY wanted (primarily, vs. the spotlight), I would think he would have gone to JR and said, "where do I need to be contract-wise to make this work between us?"

That's not your place to decide that. He was a great teammate and was a huge part of our playoff success. The man said nothing wrong at all. I'm not
feeling all this hate for the man. He did what he thought was best for him. You and any other poster who dislikes the man, needs to move on and stop this baby non-sense.

RoanokeFan
08-05-2012, 08:38 PM

I'm agreeing with Manningham. As for his motivation, we don't have a clue.

RoanokeFan
08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
If this was really the case he would of stayed on as our 3rd WR.

I'm pretty sure his departure was a ll about money.

TheAnalyst
08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
He left for money and got robbed. Now he got a cheap 2 year deal and won't see the ball more then he did in New York. Bad choice.

zimonami
08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I think he realized he was going to be #3 on the Gmen, and SF hasn't had a premier WR in a while. I'm sure he thinks he can shine there... but, he has Alex, not Eli... and, he was just beginning to understand our Offense, after all these years... yet, he still ran many bad routes this year.. Now he has to learn a new system. It will be tough for him. But he does have physical skills.
I wish him luck. His catch in the SB will always be remembered, and appreciated.
He made his bones as a Giant alumni.

BeatYale
08-05-2012, 11:55 PM

What's he suppose to say? That stats are more important? Then people will put up posts saying he's selfish anyway. He was interviewed, and he answered a question with the company line that most athletes use revolving around "winning being the most important thing." There's nothing wrong with that, it almost always generates little negative attention compared to someone saying their individual stats are important - because the media (and fans like you) will run with that.

ebick
08-06-2012, 01:08 AM
You and any other poster who dislikes the man

Sure....just one thing......can ya tell me where I said I didn't like him? I didn't. I just said he should keep it real.

G-Men Surg.
08-06-2012, 02:34 AM

I'm with you bro on this one, can't hold nothing against Rio IMO and can't argue if he sign for more money. Very grateful for the memories and once a Giant always a Giant.

AllHaillDaNYG
08-06-2012, 03:32 AM
I can't see his situation with the 49ers working out so well. Even after three years with the Giants, I doubt he fully had an idea of the playbook. It will take him a long time to adjust to a new offense if his brain capacity will allow.

I will always be grateful for his contributions during the playoff run. Best of luck, Mario!

Diamondring
08-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Well, Ive been saying it for a while now, Manningham is pretty ******ed. Good for him though. Now he can disappear like Boss, Gibril Wilson, Will Allen, David Tyree, Derek Ward, ect... This year we can add Manningham, Jacobs and Ross probably.Well there will be a time when that chain will be broken.

Diamondring
08-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Mario is all talk and just saying to be saying to make himself look intelligent. Yet he knows in his heart that he wants to catch a lot of passes so he can help the team win.

chasjay
08-06-2012, 07:44 AM
What Mario says now is for consumption by the SF fans, not the fans of the NYG. I've seen several posts regarding MM's intelligence (or lack of it). He's in no position with his new team to do anything but answer with the Company line - to be PC. At least he's bright enough to know that.

nhpgiantsfan
08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
He left for money and got robbed. Now he got a cheap 2 year deal and won't see the ball more then he did in New York. Bad choice.

When you say "Bad Choice". What exactly does that mean? What were his choices, because it doesn't sound like we offered him anything.

And to those who say that Mario should've called Reese asked him what kind of an offer he could make just so he could remain a Giant?? Stop it. It doesn't work that way.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Who ****ing cares

bigjeep
08-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Well, Ive been saying it for a while now, Manningham is pretty ******ed. Good for him though. Now he can disappear like Boss, Gibril Wilson, Will Allen, David Tyree, Derek Ward, ect... This year we can add Manningham, Jacobs and Ross probably.

Hang on there! David Tyree didn't "disappear" Like the rest. He had a season ending Injury that finshed his career! As you should know, the Giants signed him so he could retire a Giant!!!!!! Your talking about a guy that made the biggest play in Giants history. A little respect please!

ebick
08-06-2012, 10:56 AM
the Giants signed him so he could retire a Giant!!!!!!

Not to hijack my own thread, but for the love of God, why didn't the Giants ever do this for Toomer?!?!?!?

jakegibbs
08-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Not so fast my friend. I thought Mario was coming into his own & really turned it up in the playoff run. I wish he could have stuck it out a couple more years with the Giants but business is business right?

JJC7301
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM

He also left for more money which I can't begrudge him at all since he plays a sport when a career-ending injury can be right around the corner.

Diamondring
08-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Hang on there! David Tyree didn't "disappear" Like the rest. He had a season ending Injury that finshed his career! As you should know, the Giants signed him so he could retire a Giant!!!!!! Your talking about a guy that made the biggest play in Giants history. A little respect please!Yes Bigjeep.

Drez
08-06-2012, 03:29 PM
i wish him luck, but his route running needs to improve, especially playing with alex smith as your QB.
He was an excellent route runner (though earlier in his career he'd lose track of the sidelines at times). MM's issue was that he'd sometimes run the wrong route, which is something completely different than not running a route well.

Drez
08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm sure he'll see more than the 35 or so receptions he got here this past year. And SF's offer was more than ours. Not by a whole lot, but it was still richer than what we offered.

Drez
08-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Now he has to learn a new system. It will be tough for him.

Actually, I don't think it'll be that hard. SF's system isn't nearly as taxing mentally as ours is. He won't need to think as much; he'll be able to just go out and run a route most plays without thinking about what adjustments he needs to make.