PDA

View Full Version : Devin thomas retires

Dubee
08-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Devin Thomas retiring at 25. Wow, this is strange.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046151/article/devin-thomas-giants-playoff-hero-retires-at-25

greenca190
08-05-2012, 03:04 PM
He must have listened to Curtis Martin last night.

moo
08-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Good for him. Considering he's likely be floundering on special teams for the rest of his career, and the fact he's already reached the peak of the NFL - why not?

He's still young enough (and healthy enough) to pursue whatever career he wants.

JimC
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I really liked this guy. I hated to see him go. He was a VERY good special teams player....always the first to reach the ball carrier. I will miss this guy.

Cool Papa B.
08-05-2012, 03:53 PM
WOW...didn't see that coming. Was he injured or something? He's only 25 years old. There's got to be a good reason.

jomo
08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Surprising, something else that we don't know about going on here.

Giantslb66
08-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Best of luck #15!!!

greenca190
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM

What makes you think that? He could just not like football.

Snappinnecks
08-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Reporter who spoke with him indicated a neck injury he received last december made him think twice about playing again. Anyone remember it?

jomo
08-05-2012, 04:28 PM
What makes you think that? He could just not like football.Well, it could be that he doesn't like football after all these year playing it, but it is awfully tough for anyone to find a job that comes close to the minimum earned by NFL players. Even Curtis Martin, notable for not liking football, hung in for all those years for the money. The post about the neck injury above shed some light in the direction I was thinking. I just found it odd for a 25 year old with 5 or so good years ahead would just hang it up without an injury scare or something like that hanging out there.

fourth&forever
08-05-2012, 04:34 PM

After reading this article I'd say its just a good time for him to leave gracefully (and on top).

http://www.giants101.com/2012/08/05/former-new-york-giants-wr-devin-thomas-announces-retirement/

Thank you #15 for getting us past the Niners. Those two turnovers got us to the big one.

jomo
08-05-2012, 04:37 PM
After reading this article I'd say its just a good time for him to leave gracefully (and on top).
http://www.giants101.com/2012/08/05/former-new-york-giants-wr-devin-thomas-announces-retirement/ Good for him.

IamGiantsfan
08-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, it could be that he doesn't like football after all these year playing it, but it is awfully tough for anyone to find a job that comes close to the minimum earned by NFL players. Even Curtis Martin, notable for not liking football, hung in for all those years for the money. The post about the neck injury above shed some light in the direction I was thinking. I just found it odd for a 25 year old with 5 or so good years ahead would just hang it up without an injury scare or something like that hanging out there.
Man.
Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

giantsd fan
08-05-2012, 05:49 PM
After reading the article i say good for him.Like he said i accomplished my childhood dream. now move on.

P_Simms_#11
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I hope everything works out well for him.

miked1958
08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I really liked this guy. I hated to see him go. He was a VERY good special teams player....always the first to reach the ball carrier. I will miss this guy.I did to. To bad we couldn't sign him to vet min if we get some injury and use him as gunner again

jomo
08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Man.
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.Poetic, Nice!

davepc
08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Man.
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

You get that from a fortune cookie?

nYg24
08-05-2012, 06:56 PM
We don't make the Superbowl without Devin Thomas - FACT

Good luck to him.

BluTri10
08-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Thank you Devin! You will forever be remembered a champion...

TheAnalyst
08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Enjoy the Superbowl Ring!

IamGiantsfan
08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
You get that from a fortune cookie?
Dalai Lama

GIANTSACK
08-06-2012, 08:46 AM
He walk away a champion.. Not many players can do that. im happy for him and jelous. He can live a humble healthy life if he plays its smart.

jomo
08-06-2012, 01:40 PM
We don't make the Superbowl without Devin Thomas - FACT

Good luck to him.Interesting truth.

giantsfan420
08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Man.

that last line is from a famous writer but i cant remember who or what it came from...

and im surprised thomas retired but he got his money on draft day i guess. thanks for the contribution to our SB.

GameTime
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
good luck and thanks.......

nycisgreat
08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Good for him. Considering he's likely be floundering on special teams for the rest of his career, and the fact he's already reached the peak of the NFL - why not?

He's still young enough (and healthy enough) to pursue whatever career he wants.

I totally agree with you. I am pretty sure he has something lined up. Could be something lucrative and long term. I wish him the best.

joemorrisforprez
08-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Smart dude....thanks for that SF game, buddy!!!

"I mean, you know, football, it's just a game," he told the New York Daily News. "I enjoyed playing it for awhile. I had my greatest moments obviously with the Giants. I felt my spirit going other ways. I just felt it was a good time to let the game go. I think this is the perfect time."

jomo
08-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Smart dude....thanks for that SF game, buddy!!!In a very short career here, and with his performance in SF, eaned a spot in the hearts of real Giants fans forever.