PDA

View Full Version : When did you become a NY GIANTS fan and when was your first game you went to?

NJBLUE
08-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I enjoy hearing stories from guys that been fans in the good ol' days like the 60s and 70s.

I have been a fan since the 80s by birth but didn't start following the Giants seriously since last season. Growing up, my uncle and grandfather use to watch the Giants religiously while I use to wonder what was going on.

My first game is the Giants/Tampa Bay game this year on my birthday!

zimonami
08-05-2012, 08:48 PM
I grew up on L.I., and became a Titans fan in '60 when I was 13. My soon-to-be brother in law played for a bit with them that inaugural year. I watched the Giants on TV, but didn't care about them. In '67 I got married and my wife's spinster aunt was a Giant season ticket holder since '43. She didn't drive, so summer of '68, when I moved to CT, she let me take her to a Giants pre-season game against the Pats at Yale Bowl. Then, in '69 it was against the SB champ Jets (an incredible 'preseason' game). I was a Jet fan and Aunt Jean didn't like it. She made it her job to educate me about the great NY Giant's history and took me to more games and by the '71 season I was totally converted. Thank you, Aunt Jean. She lived long enough to enjoy SB XX!.

rainierjef
08-05-2012, 08:50 PM
welcome to the boards. i became a fan in the 93, i came to the united states from Trinidad and Tobago i didn't know about American football, i use to play football home or soccer to you. all my friends in brooklyn were giants fans they exposed me the sport and i couldn't help but be a fan myself, watching R.Hampton play inspired me to try out for my schools football team as a RB. ( made the roster as third string and worked my way to starting) best year for me was 1999-2000 where coach fassel made the guarantee, and getting to the super bowl. it was my first super bowl as i had missed the one we won in 1990. so emotions was high and i shed tears that day, that when i realized i was a true fan, not influenced by anyone else but because i loved this team. they have done me a great justice in the past 5 years for those tears shed in 2000.

GO BIG BLUE!

joedonlooney
08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
My dad,rip, indoctrinated me in 1961. I was hooked immediately.
I watched the championship game on tv from Green Bay (37-0 packers)
Watched the giants lose the next two championship games, to the packers and bears respectively.
And then, no playoff football until 1981. Thankfully, commissioner Rozelle guide the giants into selecting george young to run the team. Young hired Ray Perkins, who changed the mindset from a family run country club into a situation where losing was going to be miserable. Young drafted Simms in 79 and LT in 81 and we were on our way.

Rat_bastich
08-05-2012, 08:57 PM
In 1981 when Lawrence Taylor was drafted. My uncle used to play for the Kecoughtan Warriors in Hampton, Virginia as an offensive lineman. I didn't get along with my uncle at all but I was forced to see some of his high school games. One game they played Lafayette(Williamsburg) and he was eaten up all game by Lawrence Taylor. I started following his whereabouts because of the embarrassment he put on my uncle. When the Giants picked him up I became a fan and have been since. I wasn't a diehard at that time but more of a casual fan.

It wasn't until about '84 that I became more than a casual and then it got worse in the Marines because we always talked smack about "our" teams.

First (and only to this point)live game I saw was on November 25, 2001 when the Giants played the Raiders. Even though the Giants lost I thought it was pretty cool because I got to see Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Michael Strahan, Tiki Barber, Jesse Armstead, Mike Barrow and a whole host of good players.

YATittle1962
08-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I should just keep a what I am about to type saved somewhere in my computer so I can just copy and paste it every time this comes up.....

:)

......for the old time guys who have heard this all before kindly skip this post

I grew up in a family of rabid Giant fans in the 50's
I lived in the Bronx in walking distance from Yankee Stadium and my dad and uncle would walk me down to the Concourse Plaza Hotel where some players lived.....on Sundays they would all walk together to the Stadium......yeah you heard me (read me) right......walk to the stadium.....

so I apparently met a lot of the old time players in the 50s....but I dont really remember....sometimes I feel like I remember certain guys but I am not sure if it is from hearing the story so many times....or I actually remember....

anyway.....my very first game was on Oct. 28 1962....Giants - Redskins
my uncle and dad took my brother and I ...... I watched YA Tittle throw 7 TD passes and over 500yds... I have never been the same
I was 9 years old and I remember the Giants were driving down the field with ease and everyone around me in the stands looked 100 feet tall ...and they were all yelling for YA to throw the 8th TD......but they just kept running the ball

dads season tickets have been mine since '74....but one of the seats was always designated for him until his passing in '96

a couple years ago I met YA at Giants Stadium ....I got a quick handshake and quickly got to tell him I was there that day and how it changed my life.
he just smiled and said thank you
thats all I needed

Toadofsteel
08-05-2012, 09:25 PM
I had been raised a Giant from birth, but didn't really lock on to it until 2000, when they had the flash of relevancy. I was too young to remember Simms and Taylor, and my first memory of the Giants was Dave Brown running the show. I did have the anti-Cowboys doctrine squarely ingrained however, to the point that in 1995 I became a 49ers fan for a few years because they prevented the 3- (and what would have been 4-) peat. I still see them as one of the other teams I like in the league (along with the packers). But anyway, after TC and Eli came in, I really started to get into it. I was decked out in blue for both SB wins against the Pats.

Haven't been to any games in person though... I work in a church (which, by default, means I work Sundays).

BurnerNYG
08-05-2012, 09:57 PM
I became a Giants fan the night Whitney Houston sang the National Anthem. I followed them throughout that season because my bIg cousIn was a dIe hard that forced me and a frIend of mIne to watch but that amazing game sealed the deal. I missed a few years but I got back into football in 97 and I probably only missed 5 to seven games since.

giantyankee1976
08-05-2012, 10:00 PM
born/ raised: Manhattan

Received a Jets hat from my godfather, didn't like it much. Always felt a pull towards the Giants since they rocked my favorite color. (remember I was a wee lad then)

Got a basic Giants tee from a friend of my dad, loved it. Had family from Chicago rub it in my face when the bears won, felt nothing but warm fuzzies the following year when I got to return the long-distance phone call. ;)

sadly, never got to attend a game as the divorce of my parents followed by a swift moving away (re-location to Chicago) killed it.

I am waiting for the next time the Giants play the bears at chicago. Maybe I can take the Missus to my 1st Giants game.

(I've already caught the Knicks and Yanks here in recent years...the Giants and Rangers would make this homesick dude quite happy)

psmachetti
08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I started out in mid-60's as a Browns fan. Loved Jim Brown and Frank Ryan. I also followed the Joe Kapp Vikings and the Purple People Eaters.
I became a fan when Fran Tarkenton was traded to Giants. They were pretty bad back then and I wanted to root for the underdog.Also they were on CBS every Sunday so I started following them.
I had Spider Lockhart and Ron Johnson SI Posters on my bedroom walls.
Loved Tarkenton and his scrambling. He made Giants respectable again.I remember actually crying when they lost that last game to the Rams when a win would've put them in the playoffs . They got crushed. I followed Fran back to the Vikings and became a Vikings fan again as well but I was still a huge Giants fan. I thought it was great when Giants went back to the classic ny helmets w/numbers on the front. Will always be a Giants fan.
The only game I ever attended was a pre-season game the season after their 1st Superbowl win. Sat way up top. Kinda sucked though.:rolleyes:

brad
08-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I grew up in Southern NJ, and like most families there my family were all Eagles fans. Around 84 or 85 I started rooting for the Giants because they were in NJ, and because I like to be contrary. In the beginning of the season of 86 a friend of mine and I were talking trash on the school bus, he said Denver would win the SB, I countered with the Giants. In the end we bet $50 (neither of us could possibly have paid that!). I think most fans know how that season played out... it was then that I became the die hard fan that I am today. In case your wondering, no, I have never accurately picked another SB winner early in the season since then... but for one season, I was a football genius :)

ashleymarie
08-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Many of my best memories are of a large family with Giants' blood running thru our veins. I don't remember my first game, I was wearing a diaper and have pics of it. My next game will be on Oct. 28th in Jerry's yard. The Giants' have never lost in Jerry's World, so I am so looking forward to this. Knock on Wood.

Just an aside: After the games my grandma would feed us all at her large, large table that set right in the kitchen. We moved to texas later on. Last time I saw her table it was not nearly as large as in my memories. GO GIANTS! GO GIANTS' FANS!

davepc
08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I didn't get my seats till 2002.

Daytona Giant
08-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I have been a NY Giant fan since the mid Fifty’s when I went in the service .Got out in 59 could not get buy a ticket even if I could afford it .So because of the Rozell rule all home games were blacked out for fifty miles so the only way to see the games was drive from the Bronx to Stratford Con.we use to go to a little bar called the Frog pond.every Sunday home game. I worked nights just down the road so I went to training camp at Fairfield University almost everyday before my drive to the city so got to know most of the players could go on but don’t want to wear my welcome out on the first post.

miked1958
08-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Like many others I was born into a long line of gmen fans. Thinking back I remember actually watching with my dad from around 7-8 yrs old. However they are pics of me in HighChairs watching the Giants. My dad said he had me in the room for the games right from the start. My first real game I attended was around maybe ten yrs old at Yankee stadium for a Pre season game. I believe Allie Sherown was coach in 68 when we went and Alex Webster the following season again for preseason game. My uncle and coussin had some kind a hook up from a client in their business and in later yrs we got to go to a lot of regular season games. In fact when they moved over to Yale bowl for the two seasons we were able to get season tickets!!!

BigBlue1971
08-06-2012, 01:10 AM
i first remember becoming a Giants fan as a kid living in the Bronx in the early fifties! i remember i was about 10......my dad and his two brothers would yell and scream listening on the radio when the Giants were playing. naturally that made me hate anything or anyone against the Giants!

although i lived not far from from the Polo Grounds and just up the street from Yankee Stadium, i attended my first live game in 1964 November i believe where the G-Men beat the Cardinals.

the rest is history!

SweetZombieJesus
08-06-2012, 07:35 AM
One of my earliest memories is watching them convert Yankee Stadium between football and baseball configurations on the same day at my grand parents' house, the timing of that means I was 3 or 4. My dad was more of a baseball fan but I do remember the Giants being on and "ny" drinking glasses in the house.

In those dark days everybody at school liked the Raiders, Cowboys, or Steelers, the Giants were just terrible.

I was aware of, and watched, the early Parcells era but didn't appreciate what I was seeing, I wasn't a true fan yet.

For me it was the week 12 1990 MNF matchup between the 2-time defending champ 49ers and the Giants, both were 10-1, it was the regular season matchup of the year (and a preview of the NFC Championship Game). I was so impressed with how hard they fought and character they showed, even in a loss, I woke up and was hooked, just in time for that 1990 run.

To this day, and probably until my last, the one word that describes what I love about the Giants is CHARACTER.

First game? Preseason 1991, probably the Jets. First regular season game? The Chargers snowball game :(

fansince69
08-06-2012, 10:01 AM
My father and my grandfather were both avid Giants fans...I can recall as a 7 year old my father watching them on tv as early as 67.....I started watching with him in 69 ....although I have never been to a live game ,,I have not missed a play of a single game since the early 70s(no exaggeration here),although obviously on tv.....To be honest I am quite happy I do not feel the need to see them live and I do not miss anything...I have a large screen tv ,all the beer I can drink and my choice of food that I can eat on my scedule.....and it doesn't cost me anything.My Sunday or what ever day they play revolves around my Giants...I have my rituals and I have 4 boys and 3 of the 4 are avid fans as well....Since they have started training in Albany I have attended camp regularly

pthere55
08-06-2012, 10:35 AM
My father took me to a Giants game in 1995 (I was 10) vs. the Raiders... The atmosphere just grabbed a hold of me. Seeing so many people rooting for the same team just mesmerized me and I felt like it was my own sanctuary. I remember sitting there with my Giants starter coat and hat then looking around to see so many other people with their team apparel on also… From that day on I was a true fan.

ghwriter1976
08-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Growing up in Poughkeepsie and spending Sundays with my grandparents in Secaucus, I was pretty much destined to be a fan of the Giants. My dad never pushed it on me, he just let the team naturally pull me toward them. Since he had - and still has - season tickets, I would cheer for the team just so that he would come home happy. (He was never angry toward us in any way when the Giants lost, just bummed out. But hey, the man went through the Yale Bowl days.)
My first game was against the Rams during the 1985 season, when the team was down - if I'm not mistaken - by over 14 points and came back to win. But the next game was the 1986 regular season ender against the Packers when they won 55-24. When Tom Flynn blocked the Packers' punt and ran it in for a touchdown, Dad picked me up (I was 10) and held me over his head like I was the Lombardi Trophy. And I saw over 75,000 fans completely losing their minds with euphoria. I still get chills when I think about that...

bigjeep
08-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I should just keep a what I am about to type saved somewhere in my computer so I can just copy and paste it every time this comes up.....

:)

......for the old time guys who have heard this all before kindly skip this post

I grew up in a family of rabid Giant fans in the 50's
I lived in the Bronx in walking distance from Yankee Stadium and my dad and uncle would walk me down to the Concourse Plaza Hotel where some players lived.....on Sundays they would all walk together to the Stadium......yeah you heard me (read me) right......walk to the stadium.....

so I apparently met a lot of the old time players in the 50s....but I dont really remember....sometimes I feel like I remember certain guys but I am not sure if it is from hearing the story so many times....or I actually remember....

anyway.....my very first game was on Oct. 28 1962....Giants - Redskins
my uncle and dad took my brother and I ...... I watched YA Tittle throw 7 TD passes and over 500yds... I have never been the same
I was 9 years old and I remember the Giants were driving down the field with ease and everyone around me in the stands looked 100 feet tall ...and they were all yelling for YA to throw the 8th TD......but they just kept running the ball

dads season tickets have been mine since '74....but one of the seats was always designated for him until his passing in '96

a couple years ago I met YA at Giants Stadium ....I got a quick handshake and quickly got to tell him I was there that day and how it changed my life.
he just smiled and said thank you
thats all I needed

Copied and pasted, again! LOL! I am a fan since the heart breaking 1958 Championship loss to the hated Colts! Still have nightmares about that one! LOL!

NJBLUE
08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you everyone, enjoyed reading your posts!

njg85m
08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Mines a pretty entertaining story when I think back on it. When I was about 3 years old my grandfather took me to a Giants game as he was a Giants fan. I had a blast. The atmosphere was amazing, and the entire section seemed like a big family. Over all great time. I don't remember who they played or if they won but what I do remember was a couple of weeks later he took my brother and I to a Jets game as my brother who is a few years older than me was already a Jets fan and Gramps wanted to make sure he got to take my bro to see his team too. At the Jets game I witnessed at least 3 fights before the game even started,remember hearing the F word every 2 seconds, remember watching one guy literally stumble down the steps and vomit all over a family.

Needless to say, my mind was pretty much made up after I compared those two experiences, even at the age of 3.

Antwuan
08-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Mid 2000's!

It started in 2004 when Eli Manning was drafted I knew he was Peyton Manning's younger brother so at that time I followed him, I was what you would call a casual fan in 2004/2005. But I became more of a hardcore Giants Fan in 2006. I remember I was really hyped and I was feeling it that night the Giants beat the Cowboys on MNF in 2006.

I would say the Giants vs Cowboys MNF Game in 2006 was the signature game for me becoming a hardcore Giants Fan.

Spytheweb
08-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Sept 1962. I grew up a Giant fan from Westfield, NJ, i now live in Las Vegas. Dave Brown use to walk his dog past my brother's house on Trinity Place behind Westfield Sr. high school. My oldest was a Dallas fan but now he's a Giant fan living in Brooklyn. My youngest was always a Giant fan.

bELIeve_in_Giants
08-06-2012, 09:38 PM
1985. Went to a couple of pre-season games, but the only regular season games I saw in person were one in 1993 at home and one in about 1999 in Buffalo.

Captain Chaos
08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I remeber all the hype about YA it was incredible, been a giant's fan ever since. Thought I was an old timer until I met a couple when the Giant's played Arizona in 2007, they had been making all of their games since the 50's. I bowed humbly and offered to buy them a beer, they said they didn't drink anymore. Still Remeber both of them standing and cheering for Hixon on his two punt returns...they were excited!

giantfanatic
08-06-2012, 09:56 PM
1969 - Pete Gogolak married a family friend and they gave me a present for my 7th birthday. It was a signed Giants team picture - all the players except Tarkenton and Shiner. I believe they came up 1 game short of the playoffs that year. Then the dark 70's. Saw them play at Giants stadium the year it opened...

YATittle1962
08-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Copied and pasted, again! LOL! I am a fan since the heart breaking 1958 Championship loss to the hated Colts! Still have nightmares about that one! LOL!

jeepy

whats up my good man?

nice to see you

FranklinsTower
08-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Late 60's...Tarkington, Ron Johnson.....1st game, Yale Bowl vs The Washington Redskins.

fletch842
08-06-2012, 10:43 PM
As a kid, I didn't watch that much football, was too busy playing on weekend afternoons. Once I got to college in '82, I discovered the joy of relaxing on Sunday afternoons, watching football. Been hooked ever since.

My first game, was a preseason one, and happens to have been Ray Handley's first as a head coach. The team looked discombobulated. Since then, I seem to get to a game or so each year.

fansince69
08-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Late 60's...Tarkington, Ron Johnson.....1st game, Yale Bowl vs The Washington Redskins.

not trying to be nit picky but Johnson didn't join the team till 70 in a trade for Homer Jones....sounds like we started being fans around same time....go giants

FBomb
08-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Moved to Wayne NJ when I was 14.....Lost my virginty that very same Summer.....Gotta love those Jersey girls!!;)

Incidently...moved back to Louisville, KY and attended Southern High School.....anyone know why that is significant?

IamGiantsfan
08-06-2012, 11:37 PM
MY first season that I watched was the 2009 season where we wen't 8-8 :(, but I was hooked by the giants

FranklinsTower
08-06-2012, 11:38 PM
not trying to be nit picky but Johnson didn't join the team till 70 in a trade for Homer Jones....sounds like we started being fans around same time....go giants Yes, you are correct and nit picking. Sorry I mentioned Johnson and the 60s in the same breath.

Kase-1
08-06-2012, 11:41 PM
My uncle Mike was a HUGE Giants fan his whole life, Im his Godson and he never had any kids of his own so he always looked foward to talking and watching (and Re-watching lol) Giants football with me, and the feeling was mutual. I used to live with him and after I moved he would call me the day after each game and we'd talk forever on the phone about the Giants

I never got to attend a game with him due to health complications, but I know that he's watching down every week rooting and going WILD just like he was still watching the game in Brooklyn. After he passed last September, my Aunt (his wife) gave me his old Giants jacket that he used to wear while watching each game and since opening day last season that jacket has been with me for each game and will continue to be with me for each game for the rest of my life, and I cant wait to pass it along as a family heirloom

I LOVE MY GIANTS!!!!!

Shockeystays08
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
My dad brought me home a program from a Giants Eagles game in 1964. I was 6 years old. He stopped at a bar after the game near Yankee Stadium. He was still there when some of the Giants arrived. he got 5 or 6 players to sign the program he brought home. The only autograph I remember was Del Shofner. That day I became consumed with the New York Football Giants. I have been a die hard fan ever since.

bigjeep
08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
jeepy

whats up my good man?

nice to see you

Getting ready for another season of Giants football! The players look the same, but I don't! LOL!

Giantz4Life
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Don't remember what game it was, but it was probably in 89 or 90 when I was a wee young lad. I miss Bob Sheppard's voice!!!

"BALLLL CARRIED .. BY HAMPTON...... SPILLED BY.....(INSERT PLAYER NAME)"

YATittle1962
08-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Don't remember what game it was, but it was probably in 89 or 90 when I was a wee young lad. I miss Bob Sheppard's voice!!!

"BALLLL CARRIED .. BY HAMPTON...... SPILLED BY.....(INSERT PLAYER NAME)"

I loved hearing him say

"Ball carried by Babah .....second ...and....sevun"

wuzpapn
08-07-2012, 02:32 PM
My grandfather was a long life fan, and I didn't start to take interest in it until around the '97 or '98 season. It was either two or three seasons before Collins ended up taking us to the Superbowl. I can remember the hard times of Dave Brown, Kanell (yuck). But ever since I started watching Giants games at the age of 12 or 13 with my Grandpa in his den on Sunday afternoons, I've been hooked ever since.

The first Giants game I actually went to was Giants @ Redskins (Dec. 22, 2009)

Where we atually whooped their *** about 44-7? It was just a complete blow out.

gmen0820
08-07-2012, 02:38 PM
My grandfather was a long life fan, and I didn't start to take interest in it until around the '97 or '98 season. It was either two or three seasons before Collins ended up taking us to the Superbowl. I can remember the hard times of Dave Brown, Kanell (yuck). But ever since I started watching Giants games at the age of 12 or 13 with my Grandpa in his den on Sunday afternoons, I've been hooked ever since.

The first Giants game I actually went to was Giants @ Redskins (Dec. 22, 2009)

Where we atually whooped their *** about 44-7? It was just a complete blow out.Thought we'd go on a run after that. 2009 is the worst season I've ever experienced.

EJ Blue
08-07-2012, 02:38 PM
2008 when they lost to the Browns and Braylon Edwards dunked the ball, lol.

Planning on going to a game soon.

Eli TO Shockey
08-07-2012, 02:55 PM
I was a fan from the moment I was born. I have distinct memories of my father glued to the tv with his friends every sunday wearing his lucky LT "I dare you to cross this line" tshirt. lol. I was on board from the beginning.I was at a game when I was young but dont really remember. My first game as a true fan was Giants/niners 02' game(horrible memories). My first giants game at giants stadium as a fan was during Elis rookie season against Ben Roethlisberger. Giants lost but Eli played well that game.Ill never forget it, I was sitting 50 yard line 4 rows back and got on the jumbo tron because Santa Clause was sitting next to me. I jumped in front of him was going nuts! good times! Love the GMEN!

bklyn1028
08-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I was sitting in a luncheonette on the corner of Flatbush and Ave. J end of Dec 1963 (I was 16) and a song came on about Y.A. Tittle and it said something about Abraham. Everyone joked that that was his real name. I watched the Giants off and on in my Aunt Mary's house (my cousin Billy was a big Giants fan). But that 63 championship hooked me in, and I've been a fan since.

ashleymarie
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I remeber all the hype about YA it was incredible, been a giant's fan ever since. Thought I was an old timer until I met a couple when the Giant's played Arizona in 2007, they had been making all of their games since the 50's. I bowed humbly and offered to buy them a beer, they said they didn't drink anymore. Still Remeber both of them standing and cheering for Hixon on his two punt returns...they were excited!

Stories of fans dedication and loyalty warm my heart. :) Thanks.

Providence
08-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Well, basically at birth in 1982. I remember watching Super Bowl 21 at the age of 4. By the time Super Bowl 25 came around I was a rabid fan (when the Giants were losing in the 1991 Championship game against San Fran I was crying and stabbing a picture of Joe Montana on my dart board). So I was pretty fanatical by the age of just 8. From there it was non stop Giants, Giants, Giants. Didn't get to go to my first game until the last regular season game of the 2002 season (I think it was 2002, whatever SHockey's first year was). It was an amazing game. It was the "win and in" game against Philly. Tough game that we pulled out in overtime. Shockey caught his first TD in Giants stadium, Akers missed a game winner and Matt Bryant didn't. We went to the playoffs, but don't ask what happened next (cough, Trey Junkin, cough). What was also awesome about this game was it was my Dad's first game too. He'd been a Giants fan his entire life too (born in '46). Amazing memory for sure. I've only been to a few games since, but they have all been great.

jhostetler
08-08-2012, 02:04 AM
Heya folks,

Some reason my old PW didn't work. Any way - I became a Giants fan one fateful day in 1978, My Father was an Eagles fan so we were watching the game and I just felt so sorry for the Giants (have a thing for underdogs - Mets, Rangers, and Knick fan as well). Jeter and Vanpelt captured my 11 year old imagination and the rest is history.

zimonami
08-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Heya folks,

Some reason my old PW didn't work. Any way - I became a Giants fan one fateful day in 1978, My Father was an Eagles fan so we were watching the game and I just felt so sorry for the Giants (have a thing for underdogs - Mets, Rangers, and Knick fan as well). Jeter and Vanpelt captured my 11 year old imagination and the rest is history.
Welcome om board.
I was at that game, with my10 year old son. We looked at each other in disbelief, walked out of the stadium and didn't say a word to each other all the way home. To this day we haven't discussed it. The pain at its peak.
Without that play we might not have been coaxed to get George Young to manage the team and take control away from the bickering Mara's.

jhostetler
08-08-2012, 02:57 AM
That game got the whole show rolling - even though we had to sit through Simms injuries early on, Scott Brunner winning the starting job, My favprite player (Vanpelt) going to the Rams ETC.... I jumped for joy when we traded for Rob Carpenter (Above average back but overshadowed by Campbell) and was a delighted when we went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in '82 to showcase our devastating LB corps

rainierjef
08-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Welcome om board.
I was at that game, with my10 year old son. We looked at each other in disbelief, walked out of the stadium and didn't say a word to each other all the way home. To this day we haven't discussed it. The pain at its peak.
Without that play we might not have been coaxed to get George Young to manage the team and take control away from the bickering Mara's.
i just want to say... thank you for ruining my afternoon.
i didn't know what you were talking about so i did a little research and came across this gem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML1Ixd3jiGU
why am i cursing at my computer screen over something that happened 30+ years ago!!!

SweetZombieJesus
08-08-2012, 09:00 AM
That game got the whole show rolling - even though we had to sit through Simms injuries early on, Scott Brunner winning the starting job, My favprite player (Vanpelt) going to the Rams ETC.... I jumped for joy when we traded for Rob Carpenter (Above average back but overshadowed by Campbell) and was a delighted when we went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in '82 to showcase our devastating LB corps

Really we owe the Eagles a debt of gratitude, it really ushered in the modern era that we still benefit from today, 35 years later.

It got the coaching staff fired, the league intervened and pretty much forced George Young on the team, they drafted Phil Simms, and the new coaching staff had a young Linebacker coach named Bill Parcells on it...

camouflage
08-09-2012, 12:15 AM
wrote a huge story. But the forum messed it up.

Started in 2000. Cant wait for the season to start.

gbril28
08-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Born into Giant fanhood. Dad was a diehard since the mid 60's. The first Giants game I remember watching was the 49ers collapse almost 10 years ago. I remember the game not for the collapse, but it was the first time my dad ever cursed!

When I was in middle school, I really started to follow the Giants when Eli was drafted. I would say 2005 was when I first started stalking these boards and becoming the diehard I am today. Tiki Barber's run vs. the Chiefs that year was one of the best runs I've seen in my life and its been a crazy up and down seven years since then.

As many of you know I'm from Florida and have had horrible luck attending games, I think this year I will go to my first ever game against the Steelers. Can't wait!

Carter.525
08-09-2012, 01:31 AM
my uncle was a huge Giants fan, so I became one too as a kid.. remember going to my 1st game in 4th grade against Washington.

Nolan24
08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Basically everyone in my family is a Giants fan. But when I was eight years old and spending the afternoon with my cousin Bob, who is more like a brother to me, and we were watching the 1990-91 Giants verses the Randall Cunningham’s Eagles and the Giants were losing. Bob looked over to me and said, "Nolan, The Giants need your help, they need your support." So I started cheering them on with him. I was young but I will never forget that thrill. Sure enough, the Giants came back to win that game.

The Giants went all the way to beat the Bills in the Super Bowl that year and I cheered for them with Bob and my father along the whole way.

My first game, boy was i lucky, was the 2000 NFC Championship Game against the Vikings. I still claim this to be one of the best days of my life. The crowd roared so amazingly loud. You really had to be there. I will never forget how it sounded and felt. The crowd never relinquished that roar and energy from the time the opening ceremony air force jets flew over us until the post-game trophy celebration at midfield. It truly was like a Roman Coliseum watching gladiators.

I was hooked for life and I've been bleeding Giants blue since. The Giants still hold a special place in the hearts of Bob, my dad, and my hearts. Its something that is truly ours. I love the Giants

sethm
08-09-2012, 08:26 PM
My dad had box seats through work back in the early 60s the 1st game I remember was against Dallas at old Yankee stadium but what got me hooked as a Giants fan was when my brother took me to the training camp at Fairfield University which was the town next to mine. I loved it and bugged my brother to drive me there as often as possible. I know it’s not very exciting to hear but back then it was not something many fans did or even knew about. The crowds were smaller and the players were very approachable.

BillTheGreek
08-10-2012, 01:10 AM
My brother took me, to my first Giant game @ the Polo Grounds in 1947, don't remember who they played, but I remember the crowd was big and loud, also I remember the BIG rocks around the stadium. I have been a Giant fan ever since, but more so in the past 15 years. Got to know a few of the Giants personally ,Can't wait for the season to start.!!!!!!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1203/mlb-polo-grounds/content.2.html

BurnerNYG
08-10-2012, 01:13 AM
I also wanna add in the fact that I think I was destined to be a Giants fan. My mom bought me a hat back when the 49ers was dominating and some guy that liked my sister gave her his starter jacket and she passed it down to me. I wore that jacket until it started falling apart.

BROADWAYSTORM
08-10-2012, 01:29 AM
I was born in 81. I am the only person in my family that loves Football. It started slowly for me being a kid from Manhattan with a widowed working mom in the 80's who had no access to the Giants. But one day she bought me a Giants jacket so I started becoming aware of the NY Giants as a 4 year old. I remember the 91 superbowl. I then didn't watch them again until like 93, a monday night football game against Houston. It was the first time I heard the name Strahan, or Armstead. I had known who LT was though from my early childhood, he was larger than the Giants back then as a character in his own right. I remember those depressing years in the 90's watching RODNEY HAMPTON get 3 yards and a cloud of dust and then the Giants punt. I remember Favre handing us our rears all the time. And the damn Cowboys. I then started focusing on girls and didn't come back until the first game of the 2000 season back when I was a college freshman. The first time I heard the names "Thunder and Lightning". I remember Tiki Barber rushing to the right and then reversing and outrunning the Cardinals to the left side and leaving Pat Tillman gased while Bob Papa narrated on the radio I had over the TV: "The 45 the 50! 45! 40! There goes Barber in a footrace!" He scored two ridiculous long runs in that game. I will never forget that. I never missed a Giant game ever since, except one time I had to work on a sunday in 2006 when we had that HUUUUGE comeback against Philly but I caught the end. My first and only Giant game that I attended was in old Giants Stadium but I made it count, it was the 2001 NFC Championship game, the Giants 41, the Vikings 0. I was 18 years old. I can't believe that was my first game, it was beautiful. The game was over in the first 2 minutes. And I never had any football buddies until much later to really talk football and I don't have any friends who are Giants fans at all. But I bleed blue more than most. I posted on this board from 2001-2007 under two different names. Bluewave and Blueghost and I just came back.

GiantLegend
08-10-2012, 06:35 AM
My child-hood best friend and his family were from New Jersey, and my mom and her side of the family are from New York. So despite going to Bucs games from 6 on, the Giants were and still are my favorite team. I've been around since the Dave Brown era, which was my first ever football jersey. My favorite all time football player is LT even though I didn't get to see him in person.

My first Giants game away was against the Bucs in the late 90's I believe.

My first Giants home game was the December 16th 2007 game against the Redskins. 32 deg and ice under the seat and I loved it! Of course my bad luck lead to a Giants loss, and was also the final game of my favorite Giant at the time Jeremy Shockey. But I got to go to my first Giants home game the same year they won the Super Bowl, and also got to attend the playoff game against the Bucs later that year.

Some great memories.