PDA

View Full Version : Weakest part of the team?

Buddy333
08-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Since the season ended I've been concerned with the OL and the Secondary. Now enter the LB's. I know TE seems like it would be an obvious concern but I really liked what Reese did in FA and the draft. With the recent article about Beatty I'm starting to wonder if hey can count on him. I like him, but he is always hurt. I also like Diehl. However, he was not very good last year. Yeah they won the Super Bowl last year, but like Eli said, hey need to get better. As for the Secondary, I was never sold on TT coming back. I hope he is ok, but that knee needs more than a year to get healhy. Or at least healthy enough to play professional football. I think Webster is very solid, but he is getting up there. I hope he doesn't have a fast decline like KMac did. Sometimes players do that. Not saying he will, just saying I hope he doesn't. He is a very underrated CB and I hope he can still play at the same level his year. I think Prince will be a stud, but after him and Webster what do they have? Rookies and guys coming off of injuries? A FA that is a decent player I guess might help. Now the LB's seem to be having a hard time getting on the field.How can they fix the OL with what they have? What LB's will start the season? How will the Secondary look this year?

nycsportzfan
08-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Since the season ended I've been concerned with the OL and the Secondary. Now enter the LB's. I know TE seems like it would be an obvious concern but I really liked what Reese did in FA and the draft. With the recent article about Beatty I'm starting to wonder if hey can count on him. I like him, but he is always hurt. I also like Diehl. However, he was not very good last year. Yeah they won the Super Bowl last year, but like Eli said, hey need to get better. As for the Secondary, I was never sold on TT coming back. I hope he is ok, but that knee needs more than a year to get healhy. Or at least healthy enough to play professional football. I think Webster is very solid, but he is getting up there. I hope he doesn't have a fast decline like KMac did. Sometimes players do that. Not saying he will, just saying I hope he doesn't. He is a very underrated CB and I hope he can still play at the same level his year. I think Prince will be a stud, but after him and Webster what do they have? Rookies and guys coming off of injuries? A FA that is a decent player I guess might help. Now the LB's seem to be having a hard time getting on the field.How can they fix the OL with what they have? What LB's will start the season? How will the Secondary look this year? I'm definetly going Oline.. I thought Mitch Petrus was the best draftee as far as just pure "value" when we got him in the JPP draft for us, so i for sure got high hopes for him, and i was hoping James Brewer was our pick in rd 4 last yr, so that a plus, but i worry about weather or not Baas can stay healthy and bounce back from just "avg" season last yr, and Diehl is getting worse from yr to yr, and i'm not as sold on Boothe being a stud for the rest of his career, as it wasen't that long ago, he seemed like 3rd string type with no future to speak of really.. I like the Mosley and McCants picks, but there probably a yr or 2 away at earliest.. Beatty is injury prone as u said..

So another words, there is some good young pieces at the oline positon, but who knows when there gonna start showing that on the field, and with potential, theres always the risk of that never showing up.. Not to mention, even Snee is coming off somewhat down season to his standards.. I think we'll be fine, but to many questions to be sure.. So to me, the Oline is by far the biggest question mark leading into this season..

poppa smurph
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
For me it's the oline. What was once one of the best in the league has been turned over to an almost revolving door.
This is the one group I think that has been shouldering the load for other areas of need come draft time.
Cohesiveness on the gmens line was the calling card of the offense during the years where the questions about the
wideouts were plentiful, and the holes left by the departures of Tiki and Shockey, were considered an unknown.
Hopefully I'm being absurd. The front office has forgotten more then I'll ever know about putting an NFL team together.
For me though, you're taking a calculated risk when your line is aging and retiring and youre plugging in 3rd round and lower draft picks to protect your franchise QB.
I'm not arguing any of the draft choices over the last couple years, I'm just saying this is the one area of concern I have.
But again, I know nothing lol.

GMENAGAIN
08-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm definetly going Oline.. I thought Mitch Petrus was the best draftee as far as just pure "value" when we got him in the JPP draft for us, so i for sure got high hopes for him, and i was hoping James Brewer was our pick in rd 4 last yr, so that a plus, but i worry about weather or not Baas can stay healthy and bounce back from just "avg" season last yr, and Diehl is getting worse from yr to yr, and i'm not as sold on Boothe being a stud for the rest of his career, as it wasen't that long ago, he seemed like 3rd string type with no future to speak of really.. I like the Mosley and McCants picks, but there probably a yr or 2 away at earliest.. Beatty is injury prone as u said..

So another words, there is some good young pieces at the oline positon, but who knows when there gonna start showing that on the field, and with potential, theres always the risk of that never showing up.. Not to mention, even Snee is coming off somewhat down season to his standards.. I think we'll be fine, but to many questions to be sure.. So to me, the Oline is by far the biggest question mark leading into this season..

I also am most concerned about the OL.

Our starting LT hasn't been able to stay healthy and is now entering the season with a back injury that caused him to miss a lot of offseason work and already a few days of training camp.

I'm disappointed that Brewer has not been able to get on the field in training camp, because I'd like to see what he can do (or can't). .

On a more positive note, it seem like Mosley could be a player.

Also, I know that I am in the monority on this one, but I think that Baas will have a solid year. He had a very nice, underrated performance in the SB, and I think that he will build on that performance this season. I was pleased to read that he "handled" Linval in a one-on-one drill in practice last week.

TheAnalyst
08-06-2012, 10:57 AM
OL. What funny though is it seems what I feel is a weakness for us in the begining of the year winds up being a strength by the end, or at least very solid. Linebackers, Corners, WRs have all been issues in the past few years, and actually turn out to be a very solid part of the team.

Carter.525
08-06-2012, 11:06 AM
O-line scares me.. especially the 2 tackle spots.

GameTime
08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
O-line chemistry and consistency. A big factor. With that said I think Hynoski becomes a full fledged kick *** FB this season.

bobbyhy17
08-06-2012, 11:20 AM
A career backup in Boothe, 2 hurt young promising tackles in Beatty and Brewer, a disappointing free agent in Baas, solid with Snee and an older journeyman type in Diehl. I am looking foward to Petrus and the 2 draft picks to prove themselves next year. We won the Bowl with this line minus Mckenzie. Reese and our staff know what they are doing but it looks mighty thin as we start the season.

This is my first post although I have been reading these for over 5 years. Roanoke fan is amazing.

Toadofsteel
08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Also, I know that I am in the monority on this one, but I think that Baas will have a solid year. He had a very nice, underrated performance in the SB, and I think that he will build on that performance this season. I was pleased to read that he "handled" Linval in a one-on-one drill in practice last week.
I'm with you on this. Being able to handle Wilfork one-on-one is not easy. That said, I want to see some huge improvement in the Tackle positions. Pretty much the only one I'm 100% on board with is Snee (Baas im at about 80%), and he's getting up there too...

Juanito
08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Secondary is fine and stacked with depth.

Linebacker is still a problem. We're relying on Keith Rivers staying healthy and playing better than he ever did in Cincy.

O-Line we have a mixture of guys who are raw and guys who are old. This absolutely has to be the last year David Diehl plays on the team.

jomo
08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
O-line scares me.. especially the 2 tackle spots.+1...........................

Juanito
08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm not concerned about Beatty. He came into the league young and very raw, I think he'll only get better, although he is a bit injury prone.

Diehl is done though. He was a sieve last year and hes only getting longer in the tooth.

jomo
08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
A career backup in Boothe, 2 hurt young promising tackles in Beatty and Brewer, a disappointing free agent in Baas, solid with Snee and an older journeyman type in Diehl. I am looking foward to Petrus and the 2 draft picks to prove themselves next year. We won the Bowl with this line minus Mckenzie. Reese and our staff know what they are doing but it looks mighty thin as we start the season.

This is my first post although I have been reading these for over 5 years. Roanoke fan is amazing.Nice job for your first post! Go easy on the compliments for RF, we don't want to let this all go to his head! Just kidding, he is the best, delivering a tsunami of useful information.

GoDeep80
08-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Well Mosley has been a surpriseso if Will Beatty continues to be a concern I really would't be surprised if Mosley got first team reps. Their Loving Deihl at RT, Petrus has been less then satisfactory so far, Brewer has looked good (really quick feet), Not much to say on Locklear (looks like a guy that can play but you wouldn't want him starting), McCants is a lock for practice squad, thats all I can report for O-line.

poppa smurph
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Nice job for your first post! Go easy on the compliments for RF, we don't want to let this all go to his head! Just kidding, he is the best, delivering a tsunami of useful information.uh-oh, threads about to by hijacked by a love-in for RF, j/k, ;)
RF..... u the man!!

um, just to keep this post thread relevant, consensus wins, it's the oline...

GMENAGAIN
08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Well Mosley has been a surpriseso if Will Beatty continues to be a concern I really would't be surprised if Mosley got first team reps. Their Loving Deihl at RT, Petrus has been less then satisfactory so far, Brewer has looked good (really quick feet), Not much to say on Locklear (looks like a guy that can play but you wouldn't want him starting), McCants is a lock for practice squad, thats all I can report for O-line.

Have you seen good things about Brewer? I just keep seeing that he's being held out of practice due to injury.

If you have any links about his performance so far, could you please post them?? Thanks.

RoanokeFan
08-06-2012, 01:03 PM

This is my first post although I have been reading these for over 5 years. Roanoke fan is amazing.

Remember this about Boothe, he has played almost every Oline position including center when called upon. He was part of the line that kept Eli sack free for an all time high five straight games. The Oline isn't about who the individual players are, it's about how those players work as a unit.

jomo
08-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Remember this about Boothe, he has played almost every Oline position including center when called upon. He was part of the line that kept Eli sack free for an all time high five straight games. The Oline isn't about who the individual players are, it's about how those players work as a unit.I've got no problem with Boothe, just concerns about both tackes and depth. (probably no deeper than my concerns going into last year)

NorwoodBlue
08-06-2012, 01:26 PM
The O-line worries sound a whole lot like the WR worries of last year. First, a couple notes about last year's O-line. The team set franchise passing records behind this line. The line had to be shuffled repeatedly because of injuries, first to Baas, then to Beatty. For much of last year the line had Brandon Jacobs and D. J. Ware as the featured backs. Jacobs was going down easily way too often, and Ware just has little, or no zip about him at all. Once Bradshaw essentially took over and became almost a one man show during the playoff run, the line blocked well enough to average over 100 yd/game. IF they can keep the injury bug away, I have no problem with this line. I think it's going to be improve over last years line by a lot.

The other area people are worried about is LB. I'll take Boley, Kiwi and either Blackburn or Herz any time at all. And they've got Rivers, Williams and Jone s backing them up. I'm not too worried about that group either.

If there's a unit I'm worried about it's the RB. I believe Wilson and Bradshaw have the talent , I'm just hoping they have the durability. Once you get down to Ware and Scott, I just don't think they've shown enough talent yet to keep the team winning if they have to take over. Scott might be OK; but we haven't really seen much of it yet. Ware just continues to fail to impress. Also interested to see if Wilson can run the ball north and south. This isn't the college game, and he needs to learn that when he puts a fake on one guy there's a bigger guy coming at full steam looking to wipe him out, and these guys are a lot faster than the defenders he saw in college. If he doesn't run smart, he might run into some real problems.

GMENAGAIN
08-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I think that our run game will also improve with Bennett's blocking. As Reese admitted during an interview with Pat Kirwan and T-Rock on Sirius, the blocking of Ballard and Pascoe last year was "just okay". IMO, he was being kind . . . . .

fansince69
08-06-2012, 01:36 PM

I would agree I believe our ol probably has the most questions,but I have confidence that the coaching staff will find a way....

Your description of Kevin Boothe as a career backup bothers me....I would not use that definition to describe Boothe( although it would depend one your definition)......Boothe is a youngish player who has been waiting his turn behind veteran players....his turn has now come and he has played well in his opportunities.......

Remember on bad teams rookies/young players get chances to play immediately .....on quality teams they wait for their chance.....

GoDeep80
08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Have you seen good things about Brewer? I just keep seeing that he's being held out of practice due to injury.

If you have any links about his performance so far, could you please post them?? Thanks.Brewer (for the limited time seen) is a dancer not a mauler. he'll be a real good pass blocker.

RoanokeFan
08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Nice job for your first post! Go easy on the compliments for RF, we don't want to let this all go to his head! Just kidding, he is the best, delivering a tsunami of useful information.

-----:cool:------

JJC7301
08-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Oline is the biggest concern, IMO. I feel good about the LB corp.

RoanokeFan
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I've got no problem with Boothe, just concerns about both tackes and depth. (probably no deeper than my concerns going into last year)

I love Diehl but I hope Brewer beats him out as RT or Locklear gets the job. Beatty I like at LT if he can get healthy.

wuzpapn
08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
It's most definitely the OL. Nobody can really say different until our rushing moves from 32nd. Ever since Suebert and O'Hara were cut, so were our rushing yards. Hoping Beatty, Diehl, and Locklear can start to lock that up for us.

Carter.525
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
the 2nd CB is a concern also.. I hoping Prince is the guy, and Im not a big fan of Rolle as the nickel..

Buddy333
08-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I know I said I still think they have a good team, but I'm also a bit concerned about the DT's. Not as worried because I really liked when they picked Austin and Rogers seems like he taking this training camp serious with how he cut his weight. On the other hand Austin has not played in a long time, Rogers was a non factor last year, and Rocky is getting up there. Canty doesn't sound very confident he will be back by the start of the season and when he is back we have to remember he still had an injury. Will he be 100%?

Captain Chaos
08-06-2012, 10:10 PM
TC did sound encouraged by Locklear in today's presser. At RT Diehl is probably at his best position. Beatty's back is a huge concern. The middle of the line seems pretty good. Someone in an earlier thread was talking up Petrus, what I've read; he's had a miserable camp. Brewer has been injured so we haven't seen much out of him. The real test starts Friday but I'm in agreement with most that O Line is our issue, if they can get it together and get us a run game we will be tough to beat

tonyt830
08-07-2012, 07:38 AM
I guess I'm with a majority of you---the O-line is my biggest concern. Beatty's lack of reps due to his back issues concerns me. I hope he can get healthy and get on the field more. I will try and be optimistic with Diehl at RT, maybe he plays better than some expect there. I think the full offseason and more reps will help Baas. I look to seeing him improve immensly this coming season. I'm good with Booth and Snee at left and right guard respectively.

It now looks good that we drafted 2 OTs in Mosley and McCants and signed Locklear in FA, especially with Brewer and Beatty having health issues and lack of reps.

And as for other positions, I am happy with our young LBs helping the position become a strength, along with the depth in our secondary this season.

Redeyejedi
08-07-2012, 08:46 AM
OLine and the Secondary if Thomas cant play. People seem to like the depth but im not crazy about it. Real lack of experience and or physical talent at CB.

The Oline is held together with Tape/glue and 1 of if not the worst pass blocking group in the NFL. David Diehl graded out as the worst pass blocker in the NFL last year. Locklear was 1 of the worst as well per snap. Getting Mckenzie off the field will upgrade the line. Snee was hurt and the Giants better pray he isnt starting to decline because they cant afford that. Baas was hurt all season and we should see better play even if he isnt worth the money.Boothe is a solid back up but is a borderline starter.With the Bengals ,Ravens,Eagles ,49ers,Cowboys, 7 games against Top 10 pass rushing teams on the Giants schedule plus the Steelers. I am very worried about Eli Mannings safety

Buddy333
08-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Well I'm not counting on TT playing his year and I agree about the depth. Most are either inexperienced or coming back from season ending injuries. Now Prince has an issue with his hamstring. Here we go again.