PDA

View Full Version : Are Cruz and Nicks the best wideout duo in the NFL?

GiantsDigital
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
What do you guys think?

The Giants wide receivers set out in the postseason to show they can stack up with any other corps around the NFL.They did a whole lot more en route to the Super Bowl title, and now Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz have everyone’s attention as they join the debate.
The good people at NFL.com put together a list on this very issue, and while the duo came in second, they might just be the best big-play combo in the NFL...
See the rest of the list here:
http://blog.giants.com/2012/08/04/nicks-and-cruz-best-wideout-duo-in-nfl/

njg85m
08-06-2012, 03:50 PM
#1 for Roddy and Julio is a complete crock.

Drez
08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
They have as good a claim to the title as anyone else. First, second... I'm just excited that we have WR's that are even in the discussion.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Julio and Roddy are very good, and make a nice, complete duo.

I can see them as #1 right now, and Nicks and Cruz as #2. But, I want to see what Cruz does this season.

njg85m
08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
How can you see Roddy and Julio as #1?

Based on stats alone Cruz/Nicks had a much better season as a duo. Not to mention Cruz wasn't even a starter for half the season.

jomo
08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
They are the duo I want which is all that matters to me.
Wouldn't mind having a credible TE in the mix.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
How can you see Roddy and Julio as #1?

Based on stats alone Cruz/Nicks had a much better season as a duo. Not to mention Cruz wasn't even a starter for half the season.

Because I'm not a homer

njg85m
08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
So, basically you don't have an answer?

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
So, basically you don't have an answer?

What's there to answer? Statistically, Cruz and Nicks may seem like the better duo (personally I'd take them too), but IMO I think Julio and Roddy are the safer guys to go with right now.

Plus Eli is better than Matt Ryan. Just imagine Roddy and Jones with Eli as the QB.

njg85m
08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Because according to you, claiming that the better duo is the one that statistically beats the other one in nearly every single category, had a much tougher schedule, and won the super bowl makes you a homer.
(BTW they had the same number of combined receptions, so you can't really use the "Eli is a better QB" argument)

GMENAGAIN
08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
They have as good a claim to the title as anyone else. First, second... I'm just excited that we have WR's that are even in the discussion.

Me too. I'd like to see Cruz do it for another year though. From all accounts at camp, though, it seems like he is ready for another big season.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Because according to you, claiming that the better duo is the one that statistically beats the other one in nearly every single category, had a much tougher schedule, and won the super bowl makes you a homer.
(BTW they had the same number of combined receptions, so you can't really use the "Eli is a better QB" argument)

I don't mind homers dude, so don't take offense. It's okay if you are a homer.

Just be open-minded a bit, rather than harping on other people's opinions on **** like that.

TheEnigma
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Cruz and Nicks are better now (superior route-running) but Julio Jones will be better than both of them in a year or two.

Carter.525
08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
you could argue

Nicks & Cruz
Jennings & Nelson
Roddy & Jones

but I'll take the Giants duo..

Jppallday
08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that not only will Cruz and Nicks be the best duo in the NFL for years to come, but are the best right now. Their dominance showed throughout the playoffs. While either Cruz or Nicks were being double teamed, the other completely dominated. No stat will change my mind, they are the best and will be the best WR duo for years if kept together

Jppallday
08-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Also remember Hakeem Nicks was only 23 years old last year. He is only a year older than most rookies. Imagine how much better he will get

njg85m
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't mind homers dude, so don't take offense. It's okay if you are a homer.

Just be open-minded a bit, rather than harping on other people's opinions on **** like that.

Uhh, I think you might want to re-read the thread. I asked you to explain why you thought they were a better duo and mentioned how Cruz+Nicks statistically beat them in almost every category and your immediate response was "becase you're not a homer".

So much for harping on other people's opinions, huh?

Juanito
08-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm not convinced on Julio Jones, he had a lot of quiet games where he would have 1 big play or a flukey one. Nowhere near the finished article.

I remember one ridiculously lucky catch against Houston, and he had otherwise been pretty quiet.

GIANTSACK
08-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Lets discuss 2wr and qb trio.. We would have to be 1or 2

Carter.525
08-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Lets discuss 2wr and qb trio.. We would have to be 1or 2

Rodgers, Jennings & Nelson

RoanokeFan
08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
I think they are, but we'll know for sure at the end of this season.

GIANTSACK
08-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Rodgers, Jennings & Nelson

What about Brady gronk and welker. U have to consider gronk as wideout BC dude lines up outside alot

gmen46
08-06-2012, 06:15 PM

But that would almost be cheating. Unfair advantage!! :D

EJ Blue
08-06-2012, 06:44 PM
This year: Lloyd and Welker

I think we'll be throwing the ball less. Bradshaw and Wilson will be doing work diligently.

JB456
08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Cruz and Nicks are better now (superior route-running) but Julio Jones will be better than both of them in a year or two.

I don't know how you can make such a definitive statement. Both Nicks and Cruz are still very young and Cruz has had only one full year in the NFL. We
have absolutely no idea what Cruz can be and their is a chance that he can actually turn out to be even better than what we have seen.

Captain Chaos
08-06-2012, 08:18 PM

A credible 3rd wide out would be nice as well, lets hope we see something out of these second tier guys.

TheEnigma
08-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I don't know how you can make such a definitive statement. Both Nicks and Cruz are still very young and Cruz has had only one full year in the NFL. We
have absolutely no idea what Cruz can be and their is a chance that he can actually turn out to be even better than what we have seen.

Julio Jones has that physical edge on both Nicks and Cruz with height, speed, and power. The only place he really needs work now is to polish his route-running and to be more consistent with catching the ball. You might think this is insulting to Nicks and Cruz but it's more of a testament to how good Jones really can be with a high ceiling.

PierrePaul
08-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I can see Julio over Cruz. Julio Jones is the guy Atlanta traded their whole draft for. He has crazy talent. I am not sure, but it seems like Nicks and White are about even in production. As a Giant fan, I was definitely worried about facing Atlanta in the playoffs- and it wasn't because of their running game. Those two can light it up. Im a Giant fan, so of course I would take the Nicks-Cruz, over that other duo. Especially after Nicks demolished New England's defense on the biggest stage and Atlanta's wideouts crumbled under pressure. But I can't say I'm upset or surprised to see a sports writer pick players from other teams to say nice things about.

JB456
08-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Julio Jones has that physical edge on both Nicks and Cruz with height, speed, and power. The only place he really needs work now is to polish his route-running and to be more consistent with catching the ball. You might think this is insulting to Nicks and Cruz but it's more of a testament to how good Jones really can be with a high ceiling.

I'll definately give it to you that Jones has the physical edge on Nicks and Cruz.

From my understanding, Jones's issues with route running go back to his his college days and could possibly affect his ceiling. As good as Jones is, and I know he is VERY good, I don't know if I would prefer to have him over Cruz. Perhaps I need to take my homer galsses off and my mind has been infected with Salsa dancing but I think Cruz will get even better.

Anyway, the jury is still out on this but we should have a much better idea of what these two dynamic receivers bring by the end of the year.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Uhh, I think you might want to re-read the thread. I asked you to explain why you thought they were a better duo and mentioned how Cruz+Nicks statistically beat them in almost every category and your immediate response was "becase you're not a homer".

So much for harping on other people's opinions, huh?

Who gives a **** about statistics right now? Julio Jones so far looked to be more hyped up than Cruz. How do you know what Cruz will be? He might have been a flash in the pan. The best duo statistically was and is Cruz and Nicks.

But when talking future, I might go Roddy and Jones all day.

Sorry to harp on Giant homers.

This does not mean I do not like Cruz and Nicks. I love them, and I am hoping Cruz proves that he wasn't a flash in the pan.
1,500 yards is very hard to come by

ShakeandBake
08-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Can't really say that I am upset with White/Jones over Nicks/Cruz, I definitely thought they were the best WR tandem before the start of the season. The problem is that we have only seen Cruz for a very limited time, repeating those numbers again is going to be difficult. If Cruz plays at a high level again this year, I think that we would have more of a leg to stand on in saying that we have the best WR tandem in the league.

TheEnigma
08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
I'll definately give it to you that Jones has the physical edge on Nicks and Cruz.

From my understanding, Jones's issues with route running go back to his his college days and could possibly affect his ceiling. As good as Jones is, and I know he is VERY good, I don't know if I would prefer to have him over Cruz. Perhaps I need to take my homer galsses off and my mind has been infected with Salsa dancing but I think Cruz will get even better.

Anyway, the jury is still out on this but we should have a much better idea of what these two dynamic receivers bring by the end of the year.

No one is really right or wrong at this point. I just think both AJ Green and Julio Jones will be very fine receivers because they have a decent team around them, don't have work ethic issues, and don't have the typical diva mentality you see from some elite WRs. It wouldn't surprise me if Nicks and Cruz both ended up having better careers just from having Manning throwing to them and taking advantage of young CB's with their route running as they get older.

My stance has always been that Nicks and Cruz will both have great careers but there's some guys out there like Megatron and Fitz who they just can't compete with because of their physical gifts and Jones and Green both have that potential IMO.

BeatYale
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I'll take Nicks/Cruz over White/Jones. Our boys produced more in the regular season and continued to step up for us in the playoffs, which is when the competition is toughest because everything is on the line.

Julio Jones was a combine hero and has a lot of potential, so I can see how some fans are wet over him. I'll take production over potential though.

wuzpapn
08-07-2012, 11:59 AM
I'll be a little biased currently and take Nicks/Cruz over the White/Jones combo just because of what we did this past season and in the playoffs. Nicks had some amazing grabs along with Cruz's stealth as a slot receiver. But arguing that White/Jones could be #1 duo isn't really a far stretch. I look for Jones to have a huge season this year, and improve even more in the next year or two.

Just check out his freakish ability. This is a .gif from a random pre-game in his rookie year:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2enyddk.gif

primetime
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I'll be a little biased currently and take Nicks/Cruz over the White/Jones combo just because of what we did this past season and in the playoffs. Nicks had some amazing grabs along with Cruz's stealth as a slot receiver. But arguing that White/Jones could be #1 duo isn't really a far stretch. I look for Jones to have a huge season this year, and improve even more in the next year or two.

Just check out his freakish ability. This is a .gif from a random pre-game in his rookie year:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2enyddk.gif

Hakeem Nicks did that in a game his rookie season.