PDA

View Full Version : Wow Cruz surprised me today at camp...

NYGiants2120
08-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Would like to say that I guess players are told when and not when to sign. Cruz signed his Youngwhales hat and football for my little sister after the walk thru, guess I jumped the gun. Was a great guy.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
He was probably busy, or he wasn't allowed to?

I'm sure he isn't a **** head.

NYGiants2120
08-06-2012, 04:21 PM
oh I completely understand but it was around 11am when all the players were going to lunch and it would have taken maybe 45 seconds. Either way still love the guy just expected something different

GMENAGAIN
08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I can remember going to a Mets game with my son, who loved Mike Pi***a. We were down in the first row before the game and Pi***a was stretching less than 10 feet from us. My son and some other young kids called out to him very respectfully, not even for an autograph but just for a waive or any type of acknowedgment, and Pi***a wouldn't even turn around.

I realized that the guy was probably in the middle of a routine and didn't want to be interrupted, but my son was real disappointed. So i know how you feel . . . . .

njg85m
08-06-2012, 04:31 PM
For what it's worth, a lot of athletes don't sign autographs until AFTER practice.

I doubt he did it to be rude.

Cool Papa B.
08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
That wasn't cool. Maybe the guy was having a bad day or something. Everything that I have read from fans on twitter, facebook and the many Giants forum is that he is a really cool dude who makes time to sign autographs.

Give him a pass on this one.

Juanito
08-06-2012, 05:18 PM
This doesn't surprise me sadly. A lot of athletes and those in the spotlight forget where they come from. Maybe you caught him on a bad day because as the others say, the reports are that hes a decent guy.

RoanokeFan
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
It could be they are told when they can make themselves available.

EJ Blue
08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
This doesn't surprise me sadly. A lot of athletes and those in the spotlight forget where they come from. Maybe you caught him on a bad day because as the others say, the reports are that hes a decent guy.or maybe he's told when and where he is allowed to sign autographs.

08-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I don't mean to sound like a ******, but sometimes the answer is no when you ask for something...there could be a million different reasons for his response .
the thousands of people who have received autographs from Cruz should post that they got autographs

Rat_bastich
08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I remember going to camp at Fairleigh-****inson in 1993. LT was there and had just recovered from his Achilles. Rodney Hampton and Dave Meggett were not at camp for I believe contractual reasons. Ottis Anderson was still on the team. I was watching a bunch of kids as they were getting autographs from various players. Sean Landeta was great and was signing everything from everyone. Howard Cross stayed and talked to everyone, was even hugging folks.I remember a group of kids...not adults approached Ottis Anderson and he was downright rude. He refused to sign anything and even berated the kids for not coming to him before going to the other players. I was sorely disappointed.

This was Dan Reeves first year as coach, I believe Ottis didn't make it with the Giants out of camp that year.

Captain Chaos
08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear, wouldn't expect that unless there was a reason....

b_ELI_eve
08-06-2012, 07:05 PM
That doesn't sound like Cruz at all, sorry to hear that

Dubee
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
The guy probably signs a million autographs a day, and didn't want to be bothered during his personal time.

bELIeve_in_Giants
08-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Every year there's a thread or two about a player not signing for them. I think it's best not to ask except during the designated autograph time. If they say yes to one then the next thing you know there's a line and they can't get away.

ashleymarie
08-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear about Cruz and his reaction. Hope your sister is okay. I think a "give the benefit of the doubt" would be the correct course here. And hope it never happens again.

joemorrisforprez
08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I got Tiny Tim's autograph.....it was around 2am in Ramsey NJ, close to 20 years ago......my buddy Johnny A and I were outside a Krauszers, about to go in to get a pack of smokes, and Tiny Tim pulled into the parking lot.....he was the passenger in an SUV.....he opened the door and a empty beer can fell out. Some pretty hot broad was driving....I was impressed.

We told Mr. Tim we were big fans of his music, and he was kind enough to give us both his autograph.

Tiny Tim was one classy mother ****er. I'll never forget him.

http://images.wikia.com/lyricwiki/images/6/65/Tiny_Tim.jpg

PierrePaul
08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Seriously...
You have the memory of Cruz getting out of a golf cart a few feet from you. You could say something encouraging to him and maybe get a smile in return. Those kind of memories stick with you. Then you can explain to your kid that you were being polite and respecting the guy instead of trying to take a piece of him to put in a book somewhere. (Autographs remind me of people who carve their names in beautiful trees, or places like the Grand Canyon. We can just experience things. There is no need to claim them as yours.) My favorite memory of superbowl 46 was seeing some of the family members enjoy the after party with the players. It was cool. Hardly anyone there was taking pictures or asking for autographs, and players could just be themselves for a while. I don't have any pieces of paper with a name scribbled on it. No one will pay me money for my memory, true, but that doesn't mean it isn't as valuable to me.

Ok before I get blasted, I am not trying to fight with the op. Just trying to point out the positive- you were lucky enough to be there.
Carry on.

IamGiantsfan
08-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Seriously...
You have the memory of Cruz getting out of a golf cart a few feet from you. You could say something encouraging to him and maybe get a smile in return. Those kind of memories stick with you. Then you can explain to your kid that you were being polite and respecting the guy instead of trying to take a piece of him to put in a book somewhere. (Autographs remind me of people who carve their names in beautiful trees, or places like the Grand Canyon. We can just experience things. There is no need to claim them as yours.) My favorite memory of superbowl 46 was seeing some of the family members enjoy the after party with the players. It was cool. Hardly anyone there was taking pictures or asking for autographs, and players could just be themselves for a while. I don't have any pieces of paper with a name scribbled on it. No one will pay me money for my memory, true, but that doesn't mean it isn't as valuable to me.

Ok before I get blasted, I am not trying to fight with the op. Just trying to point out the positive- you were lucky enough to be there.
Carry on.
That's a good philosophy, and I admire you for it :)

davepc
08-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Yes, when a player doesn't do something FOR YOU then they're a huge scumbag.

BlueSanta
08-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Try to understand, autographs are not just about "being nice" to a fan. The media likes to make it seem like that. But in reality, athletes get audited by the IRS all the time for potential autograph income infractions. The biggest red flag is when there are too many public auctions for autographed items for 1 athlete. That is why many of them choose not to give out autographs outside the normal scheduled sessions.

BROADWAYSTORM
08-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Would like to say that I guess players are told when and not when to sign. Cruz signed his Youngwhales hat and football for my little sister after the walk thru, guess I jumped the gun. Was a great guy.

Grow up dude

RagTime Blue
08-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Like the other poster said, maybe a million reasons why the timing was bad. Don't take it personal. . .I'm sure he's got nothing against you. Cruz IS great to the fans he meets even on the street when he's going about his personal life. He's a fan-favorite and his demeanor is a big reason why.

GMENAGAIN
08-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Seriously...

Carry on.

Good post.

embeshAtYa
08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
maybe he had to poop

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Seriously...

Carry on.

Good post dude.

Too many times these days I take pictures and **** of things that I am doing, and it takes away from the overall experience.

It's nice to have pictures, but a few pictures here and there are OKAY. Most of your time should be spent paying attention to the things around you.

jomo
08-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Good post dude.

Too many times these days I take pictures and **** of things that I am doing, and it takes away from the overall experience.

It's nice to have pictures, but a few pictures here and there are OKAY. Most of your time should be spent paying attention to the things around you.This post reminded me of a childhood experience. We were at the NY World's Fair and who's standing in line beside us but Bobby Hull. My dad was a huge hockey fan and was so excited to see him. All my dad did was say "I really enjoy watching you play the game." Hull smiled, put his hand on my shoulder and said thanks, it's an honor to play the game of hockey." That was a complete experience and I never thougth of being short changed because we didn't get a photo or autograph.

psmachetti
08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
This post reminded me of a childhood experience. We were at the NY World's Fair and who's standing in line beside us but Bobby Hull. My dad was a huge hockey fan and was so excited to see him. All my dad did was say "I really enjoy watching you play the game." Hull smiled, put his hand on my shoulder and said thanks, it's an honor to play the game of hockey." That was a complete experience and I never thougth of being short changed because we didn't get a photo or autograph.

Sadly, Bobby Hull treated the fans better than he treated his family.