PDA

View Full Version : Question--how many safeties will make the final 53?

tonyt830
08-07-2012, 08:28 AM
I only ask this question because of the 4 game suspension that Sash will have to serve. So along with Phillips, Rolle, Sash---do the Giants keep 2 more in Hill, Brown and/or Horton? Or do they just carry 4, even with Sash out for 4 games.

I remember hearing Fewell say they have been trying Williams out in the hybrid spot that Grant played last season, so maybe that weighs into how many safeties they carry?

Thanks

GMENAGAIN
08-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Do suspended players count against the active roster?

Redeyejedi
08-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Its to bad Thomas went down because it would of given the Giants even more personnel options. Giants have a wide variety of mix and match options at LB. Probably see more of standard 4-3 with 3 LB looks and 3 CB Nickel looks instead of 3 safety Nickel.

Buddy333
08-07-2012, 09:04 AM
I think Will Hill is making onto this teams roster.

tonyt830
08-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Do suspended players count against the active roster?thats a good question--Im not sure, I will have to look that one up. If not than I would say that the Giants keep Hill and Brown to go along with KP and Rolle. But then one of them will be cut when Sash comes back?

PBTimmons
08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Do suspended players count against the active roster?

If you mean the 46 that suit up on game day, then no. But they do count against the 53 man roster.

TheAnalyst
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I think Will Hill is making onto this teams roster.

Im kinda worried about that kid though. He seems like he always was a Me type player. He made some very questionable decisions while in college as well. If he has his head on straight, he is a hell of an athlete, but I wouldnt count on him. Not yet anyway. Maybe he did turn a corner though. I wasnt a big fan of his at Florida though. Took to many plays off.

FranklinsTower
08-07-2012, 09:30 AM
I say 4, and Will Hill wil be one of them. The kid can play, let's hope the Giants way will rub off on him and he will show a more mature attitude then he did at UF.

GMENAGAIN
08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
If you mean the 46 that suit up on game day, then no. But they do count against the 53 man roster.
So the Saints players that are only suspended a few games will count against their team's 53 man roster?

PBTimmons
08-07-2012, 10:38 AM
So the Saints players that are only suspended a few games will count against their team's 53 man roster?

Actually, now you have me second guessing myself. I don't remember them signing a guy to fill Jimmy Kennedy's roster spot when he got suspended last season. But now that you mention the Saints suspended players I'm thinking that there is no way they count against their 53 man.

Rod-Diggity
08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
yea but i hear he's been lighting it up in camp seems like they have more confidence in him than resigning grant and the giants have a way of taking kids like hill and turning them into professionals and we all know coughlin isnt hesitant on benching a player so with all the stuff hill has gone through( from dropping out of being a 1st rounder and getting kicked out of school) if the giants didnt think he learned his lesson they wouldnt be giving him the opportunity. Doesnt seem jerry reese plays the same game as a jerry jones would, but like i said people just have been raving about this kid.

GMENAGAIN
08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Actually, now you have me second guessing myself. I don't remember them signing a guy to fill Jimmy Kennedy's roster spot when he got suspended last season. But now that you mention the Saints suspended players I'm thinking that there is no way they count against their 53 man.

Yeah, I don't know the answer either . . . it just seems like suspended guys shouldn't count against the 53 . . . .

Rod-Diggity
08-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Im kinda worried about that kid though. He seems like he always was a Me type player. He made some very questionable decisions while in college as well. If he has his head on straight, he is a hell of an athlete, but I wouldnt count on him. Not yet anyway. Maybe he did turn a corner though. I wasnt a big fan of his at Florida though. Took to many plays off.

yea but i hear he's been lighting it up in camp seems like they have more confidence in him than resigning grant and the giants have a way of taking kids like hill and turning them into professionals and we all know coughlin isnt hesitant on benching a player so with all the stuff hill has gone through( from dropping out of being a 1st rounder and getting kicked out of school) if the giants didnt think he learned his lesson they wouldnt be giving him the opportunity. Doesnt seem jerry reese plays the same game as a jerry jones would, but like i said people just have been raving about this kid.

Jahh
08-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Some one just asked Mike G about using Sash's roster spot and he said yes giants can.

PBTimmons
08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Some one just asked Mike G about using Sash's roster spot and he said yes giants can.

I just saw this. It almost seems like it shouldn't be that way though. Here's my thinking...

Say "player X" is a key player on a team. He gets a hamstring injury that could keep him out 4 weeks or more. So then "team" has him take supplement that is not approved by league and he fails a drug screen and subsequent suspension free's up his roster spot until he would likely return. Just saying that it could be done, clearly unethical though.

Jahh
08-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I just saw this. It almost seems like it shouldn't be that way though. Here's my thinking...

Say "player X" is a key player on a team. He gets a hamstring injury that could keep him out 4 weeks or more. So then "team" has him take supplement that is not approved by league and he fails a drug screen and subsequent suspension free's up his roster spot until he would likely return. Just saying that it could be done, clearly unethical though.
Yeah but I doubt a player is willing to take that reputation hit nor risk an actual positive drug punishment in the future to be mor severe. Plus, I don't know how the drug testing works in the nfl but who is to say said player would be tested at all during that time frame.

Captain Chaos
08-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Two guys that could challenge Sash are Hill and Brown, don't know what they will do; however, I don't know if Sash has a roster spot sewn up.

dave56dj
08-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Note on Will HIll - After repeated offenses - including completely innapropriate tweets and lude behavior he went undrafted in 2011. The kid has been humbled. Is he a model citizen now? No - but he has said all the right things, kept his mouth shut and let his play do the talking. He has lit it up against the 2's and has earned time with the 1's. He will make this team. The next safety up is probably horton or brown.