PDA

View Full Version : Justin tuck fires back at packers

RoanokeFan
08-08-2012, 01:19 PM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8247319/justin-tuck-new-york-giants-thanks-green-bay-packers-matthews-gift-playoff-victory)

Excerpt: "Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12438/clay-matthews) says the New York Giants (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants) didn't beat his team but rather the Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers) beat themselves in their playoff meeting last year.
When told about that comment, defensive end Justin Tuck (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8488/justin-tuck) said he thanks Matthews for the gift." Read more...

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Oh god. Tuck, come on.

zimonami
08-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Ro.
Matthews should know better.
Tuck had a good response. A few years ago I would never have pictured Tuck as a veteran verbal leader/responder for this team, but he has stepped up since beginning of last year to defend other Giant players, our team, and always has well thought out replies to this kind of Matthew's BS and deals with the stupidity without putting a bulls eye back on our team. He really does live by the mantra, "Talk is Cheap."

TheAnalyst
08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Love it. Perfect response.

RoanokeFan
08-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks, Ro.
Matthews should know better.
Tuck had a good response. A few years ago I would never have pictured Tuck as a veteran verbal leader/responder for this team, but he has stepped up since beginning of last year to defend other Giant players, our team, and always has well thought out replies to this kind of Matthew's BS and deals with the stupidity without putting a bulls eye back on our team. He really does live by the mantra, "Talk is Cheap."

Egos in the NFL are fragile, it would seem

Rudyy
08-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Tuck > Matthews

blueomaha
08-08-2012, 02:03 PM
he's right...the NYG didn't beat the GB Packers...the NYG destroyed the Packers....

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Tuck > Matthews

Clay Matthews is a Linebacker.

gmen46
08-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Egos in the NFL are fragile, it would seem

Of course, what should we expect from a dude who plays with his hair like a model all during the game?

Giantz4Life
08-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Love Tuck's response. Short, sweet, and to the point. Everyone knows that Clay is talking out of his ***, so it makes him look even more foolish.

BlueReign
08-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Best response to this lol

Rudyy
08-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Clay Matthews is a Linebacker. I'm not talking about the position.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Clay Matthews had really good 3 years, and they aren't even the same position so how can you say Tuck is better?

That's like saying Cruz is better than Eli.

Rudyy
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Clay Matthews had really good 3 years, and they aren't even the same position so how can you say Tuck is better?

That's like saying Cruz is better than Eli. I'm talking about what they said, not their positions.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Oh, so Tuck > Matthews in terms of speech-ability.

Ok.

Rudyy
08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Oh, so Tuck > Matthews in terms of speech-ability.

Ok. It's seriously not that hard to comprehend.
I don't like what Matthews said because I don't think it's true. I like how Tuck responded.
Therefore Tuck > Matthews

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-08-2012, 03:02 PM
It's seriously not that hard to comprehend.
I don't like what Matthews said because I don't think it's true. I like how Tuck responded.
Therefore Tuck > Matthews

Well then say that?

Tuck>Matthews has really no literary context at all

Rudyy
08-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Well then say that?

Tuck>Matthews has really no literary context at all Well since it's my post, I don't have to provide literary context.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Well since it's my post, I don't have to provide literary context.

Well then, other posters on a forum will have no idea what you're talking about. Just like I didn't

BurnerNYG
08-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I would've loved to hear what Strahan would've said... now that would've been comical but great, straight to the point response by Tuck.

Rudyy
08-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Well then, other posters on a forum will have no idea what you're talking about. Just like I didn't I've posted on this forum many times before, and no one has given me any flack for what I've said. Thanks for the tip though.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-08-2012, 03:12 PM
I've posted on this forum many times before, and no one has given me any flack for what I've said. Thanks for the tip though.

Lol, oh right, I didn't even read your username.

Well, just saying, it's confusing +1

Rudyy
08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Lol, oh right, I didn't even read your username.

Well, just saying, it's confusing +1 Totally understand.

jakegibbs
LINK (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8247319/justin-tuck-new-york-giants-thanks-green-bay-packers-matthews-gift-playoff-victory)

Excerpt: "Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12438/clay-matthews) says the New York Giants (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants) didn't beat his team but rather the Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers) beat themselves in their playoff meeting last year.
When told about that comment, defensive end Justin Tuck (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8488/justin-tuck) said he thanks Matthews for the gift." Read more...

I think we need to face the fact the Giants were a 9-7 Team last year. They were barely alive @ 7-7 & yes they got hot @ the right time just like GB did the year before going 10-6 & then winning it all. This kind of stuff seams to be now the norm & not an abirition. Giants in 07 same thing. Steelers same thing WC team that got hot. GB same thing. Gone are the days of dynasty's & 15-1 teams rolling to SB victories. I hope the Giants sneak in late again this year getting hot @ the right time instead of 08 season having the best record in NFL & then go 1 & done.

Buddy333
Great job by Tuck. I mean they have to be laughing about this. They absolutely destroyed them in their house. They weren't themselves that day? As opposed to the lock down defense they where all season. Lol. Maybe he was calling out Rogers and the offense? If so, it's just as ridiculous. The Giants defense simply dominated that game and had to deal with some horrible calls on top of it.

barran21
08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Matthews was trash last season, dude is a product of HgH, last season with the NFL announced they would test for HgH Matthews production dropped a lot from the previous year...

Buddy333
08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
By the way, I really don't think he was throwing a jab at the Giants. Players say it all the time. Maybe he should have just said the better team won that day. Even the title of this article is misleading. I mean did he really fire back? He just said they did what they had to do to win and he didn't think Green Bay laid down.

Rod-Diggity
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
yea they gave us that game just as much as the falcons gave them theirs in 2010. i guess they gave us the 35 points we racked up on them during the reg. season (which is a game the refs actually did give them). dudes a sore loser wonder what he'll say after trounce them again this season.

GMENAGAIN
08-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I find this whole subject boring . . . .talking about would haves and could haves from last year.

Can't wait for the new season to start.

rcrane
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Join me on the eagles forum, in the slot corner/cruz thread. Got some real delusional eagles fans talking about how the packers gave us that game. Trashing eli as well. Its a joke lol.

giantyankee1976
08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
he's right...the NYG didn't beat the GB Packers...the NYG destroyed the Packers....

naaa, the NYG's molly-wopped those *******s

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Egos in the NFL are fragile, it would seemDid you mean Egos or Egirls?

giantyankee1976
08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Seriously, it is effing nuts the disrespect Big Blue gets again. This kind of **** is like bulletin board material for me. problem is I obviously don't play for the Team.

But if I did this hate would fuel me and each Game I'd make it a mission to pick out the Victim on the other squad.

no bounties mind you, none of that Saints crap, BUT for an ideal, or figurative head to put on a pike?

hell yeah.

If that meant trucking Clay matthews or cracking Romo's sternum then, let's get it on son! MMA style, straight wreck a ***** out there.

CDN_G-FAN
08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
same old same old.

these guys can talk about luck all they want. Man up. Win the game. if you don't, everything else is just a punk *** excuse.

If you can't win it when it counts, you don't deserve it.

I could talk about how 'unlucky' we were when Plaxico shot himself in the leg, like the big dummy he is, but i'd seem like a chump trying to make myself feel better.

that's all clay matthews is. a big hairy chump, who can't perform when it counts.

Drez
08-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Because 85% of what Matthews does is rush the passer. OLB in 34 is roughly equivalent to DE in 43.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Seriously, it is effing nuts the disrespect Big Blue gets again. This kind of **** is like bulletin board material for me. problem is I obviously don't play for the Team.

But if I did this hate would fuel me and each Game I'd make it a mission to pick out the Victim on the other squad.

no bounties mind you, none of that Saints crap, BUT for an ideal, or figurative head to put on a pike?

hell yeah.

If that meant trucking Clay matthews or cracking Romo's sternum then, let's get it on son! MMA style, straight wreck a ***** out there.Wow! I thought I had an attitude. Seriously, we won and nothing can take that away, not even the refs or the NFL now. We played balls to the wall and beat them all(refs/NFL) included. WE ARE THE NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!! Clay Matthews can go dig a ditch and stick his head in it for all I care. Our Team is doing the right thing and staying under the radar once again for ALL the right reasons........another quiet ring...JUST like I like it as we make the Jets keep buying material from JO-anns fabrics to keep covering them up. I predict a BLACKOUT of GIANTS STADIUM soon.

penguinfarmer
08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I still think it's incredibly comical, especially from Matthews. No one from GB's defense should talk. They were handing out points and yards as if they were pennies all season. That playoff game was hardly the moment where they "suddenly" played poorly.

BigBlue1971
08-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Tuck has the proper response! if Matthews is still fuming over that game hes crazy!

if i was Matthews i wouldnt even want to remind anyone of that whuppin!

actually i hope it does stay on his mind all season....and torments him!

Rodgers12
08-08-2012, 10:40 PM
If we didnt turn the ball over in that game I think we would have had a chance to win. 5 turnovers really kill you and we lost by 17.

jomo
08-08-2012, 11:00 PM
If we didnt turn the ball over in that game I think we would have had a chance to win. 5 turnovers really kill you and we lost by 17.So you are saying they were giveaways, not takeaways Mr. Mathews?

Rodgers12
08-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Not taking anything away from the Giants. They were the better team that day. Take away the turnovers and I think we could have won or we could have had a close loss like 07.

ELITEGIANTS0711
08-08-2012, 11:19 PM
If we didnt turn the ball over in that game I think we would have had a chance to win. 5 turnovers really kill you and we lost by 17.

should had 6 turnovers,.

turnover cause everteam to lose.

btw how do i find the green bay fan forums, wanna read what they had to say, i don't plan on posting or anything

jintsfan666
08-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Google is your friend.

Rodgers12
08-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Eli right here. Packer forum.com is one or the most popular one. I just wish we could play the game all over again and Green Bay would have played like they did all season long.

ELITEGIANTS0711
08-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Google is your friend.

yea i tried that, i though it was on the official site

ELITEGIANTS0711
08-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Eli right here. Packer forum.com is one or the most popular one. I just wish we could play the game all over again and Green Bay would have played like they did all season long.

more popular one

shotcalla39
08-09-2012, 12:12 AM

OLB in the 34 defense is a lot closer to a 43 DE than u think

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 12:54 AM
i wonder if the loss we had in 2010 at GB after the philly melt down warrants the same reasoning mathews is using on his packers...packers dont even make the playoffs if "we didnt beat ourselves in GB"

ashleymarie
08-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Join me on the eagles forum, in the slot corner/cruz thread. Got some real delusional eagles fans talking about how the packers gave us that game. Trashing eli as well. Its a joke lol.

Oh, ho, ho.........some entertaining stuff from you guys.

SweetZombieJesus
08-09-2012, 07:19 AM
i wonder if the loss we had in 2010 at GB after the philly melt down warrants the same reasoning mathews is using on his packers...packers dont even make the playoffs if "we didnt beat ourselves in GB"

And THAT game was an indisputable hangover from the epic meltdown agains the Eagles the prior week.

NJAquaman
08-09-2012, 07:27 AM
I could see a 49'er making that comment and feeling that way...but the Pack got spanked...

njsean
08-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Like they played against the Chiefs? The Packers did play like did all season long...crappy on defense and overly dependent on their offense that couldn't get anything done because they were shut down. How does it feel making history as the first 15-1 and done?

njsean
08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
I could see a 49'er making that comment and feeling that way...but the Pack got spanked...

Agreed the only team I respected in our run was the 9ers. I hope they clean GB's clock the first game of the season.

Morehead State
08-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Like they played against the Chiefs? The Packers did play like did all season long...crappy on defense and overly dependent on their offense that couldn't get anything done because they were shut down. How does it feel making history as the first 15-1 and done?

Weren't they 15-1 in the regular season? Your position is crazy.

GMENAGAIN
08-09-2012, 10:39 AM
And then if GB lost that one, they would say that they didn't play their best game again, they beat themselves, etc.

Basically, if you think that you're the best team in the NFL, you are always going to say that you beat yourself when you lose a game.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 10:40 AM
And then if GB lost that one, they would say that they didn't play their best game again, they beat themselves, etc.

Basically, if you think that you're the best team in the NFL, you are always going to say that you beat yourself when you lose a game.

Every team says that, just like I said we beat ourselves when the Redskins beat us twice.

It happens.

rebelfan1966
08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Matthews went all Obama on NY when he said "You didn't win that" .....lol..... sorry, could not resist.

To repeat what Tiki said several years ago, you are what your record says you are.... and NY's record shows a SB victory.

njsean
08-09-2012, 11:38 AM

Weren't the Patriots 18-0 and setting records with scoring before playing us and scoring 14?

Same story. I get it. You're a contrarian. Congratulations. Way to be different. Now shoo.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Weren't the Patriots 18-0 and setting records with scoring before playing us and scoring 14?

Same story. I get it. You're a contrarian. Congratulations. Way to be different. Now shoo.

Do you even know what contrarian means? Dude, take statistics if you think the majority of people agree with you.

Thanks consensus bureau.

njsean
08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Do you even know what contrarian means? Dude, take statistics if you think the majority of people agree with you.

Thanks consensus bureau.

Um. Do we want to put up a poll in this thread regarding how many people agree with Matthews like you and those that think he's a bitter, delusional idiot? Even look at the comments sections on football news sites from comments of all teams outside of Green Bay.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Um. Do we want to put up a poll in this thread regarding how many people agree with Matthews like you and those that think he's a bitter, delusional idiot? Even look at the comments sections on football news sites from comments of all teams outside of Green Bay.

Did I say Mathews was a delusional idiot? Go to college and study media bro, then talk to me.

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM

what did he say thats crazy? that is how the packers played, and they ARE the 1rst 15-1 1 and done team in nfl history...

njsean
08-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Did I say Mathews was a delusional idiot?

Nope. And I never said you did. I said you agreed with him.

Go to college and study media bro, then talk to me.

I might suggest studying reading comprehension to you. I'll just assume you made a mistake, though.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Nope. And I never said you did. I said you agreed with him.

I might suggest studying reading comprehension to you. I'll just assume you made a mistake, though.

Sorry Professor Steinback

njsean
08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Sorry Professor Steinback

No need to get snarky. We're all Giants fans!

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 11:58 AM
No need to get snarky. We're all Giants fans!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance018.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Rodgers12
08-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I hope we dont lose to you guys again in January. That would really hurt.

Morehead State
08-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Huh?
You said they sucked all year. 15-1 teams don't suck all year. Its like arguing with a friggin post with you.
Please stop now before you hurt yourself.

GMENAGAIN
08-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Did I say Mathews was a delusional idiot? Go to college and study media bro, then talk to me.
study media . . . lol

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 12:16 PM
study media . . . lol

Yuck, I just threw up in my mouth.

njsean
08-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Huh?
You said they sucked all year. 15-1 teams don't suck all year. Its like arguing with a friggin post with you.
Please stop now before you hurt yourself.

Please quote where I said the team sucked all year. I said their defense was terrible and relied too much on their offense. When they're offense got stuffed by us, they lost. When their offense got stuffed by KC, they lost.

You seem mad about this and are now putting words in my mouth. Perhaps you should relax.

Morehead State
08-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Please quote where I said the team sucked all year. I said their defense was terrible and relied too much on their offense. When they're offense got stuffed by us, they lost. When their offense got stuffed by KC, they lost.

You seem mad about this and are now putting words in my mouth. Perhaps you should relax.
I interprested that as "they sucked all year" Because what you describe is a team that sucks.
Sorry but they played a crappy game. Its understandable that they feel they beat themselves. Its just the way it works.
You can argue if you want just to argue (which normally I like) but you are dismissing an obvious point to most sports fans.

njsean
08-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I interprested that as "they sucked all year" Because what you describe is a team that sucks.
Sorry but they played a crappy game. Its understandable that they feel they beat themselves. Its just the way it works.
You can argue if you want just to argue (which normally I like) but you are dismissing an obvious point to most sports fans.

I'm not describing a team that sucks with that description. I'm describing a team that was very much like the Colts for a decade. A team that was dependent on it's offense and had a defense that needed to play with a lead. I wouldn't say those Colts teams sucked all year, but I also wouldn't say when they were setting records in the regular season only to be held to three points in the playoffs by the Patriots that those Colts just had a bad game.

I never said I didn't understand how they felt. It's human nature to rationalize. But I personally think it's crazy for a team that got beaten by three scores to claim that. If the 9ers came out and said it (notice they haven't) I'd still disagree, but I'd be a bit more sympathetic. Look at the Saints against the 9ers. They made some mistakes, forced or not, and San Fran took advantage, but what did they do? They pulled it closer to almost win in the end. Green Bay just got curb stomped.

Dwinsballgames
08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I understand why Mathews felt that way and I understand why a FAN would say that their team beat themselves. We say that all the time when the Giants put up a stinker. However, as a player he should use his head and not say stupid stuff like that. Can you imagine Eli or TC ever saying that. It's classless. TC would probably say:"you can't turn the ball over 5 times and expect to win many ball games". or "they made the plays and we faild to execute". The "we beat ourselves" nonsense or "the better team lost today" is the kind of crap you hear from guys like Wade Philips and Rex Ryan. It's just a matter of being classy or a gracious loser versus being classless or a sore loser. mathews = classless sore loser.

Morehead State
08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm not describing a team that sucks with that description. I'm describing a team that was very much like the Colts for a decade. A team that was dependent on it's offense and had a defense that needed to play with a lead. I wouldn't say those Colts teams sucked all year, but I also wouldn't say when they were setting records in the regular season only to be held to three points in the playoffs by the Patriots that those Colts just had a bad game.

I never said I didn't understand how they felt. It's human nature to rationalize. But I personally think it's crazy for a team that got beaten by three scores to claim that. If the 9ers came out and said it (notice they haven't) I'd still disagree, but I'd be a bit more sympathetic. Look at the Saints against the 9ers. They made some mistakes, forced or not, and San Fran took advantage, but what did they do? They pulled it closer to almost win in the end. Green Bay just got curb stomped.
For 2 friggin days you were making no sense. If you had just said this at first we wouldn't have had to go through this dance.
My initial point was that fans here were taking this way to seriously, its a common reaction from players and fans, including Giants players and fans.

njsean
08-09-2012, 01:56 PM
For 2 friggin days you were making no sense. If you had just said this at first we wouldn't have had to go through this dance.
My initial point was that fans here were taking this way to seriously, its a common reaction from players and fans, including Giants players and fans.

How serious people are taking it isnt for me to say. I personally think it's stupid to come out and say it (especially after that large a score difference) because not only is it a self-serving cop out, but also I don't just see players mouthing off about it as all that common.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 01:58 PM
How serious people are taking it isnt for me to say. I personally think it's stupid to come out and say it (especially after that large a score difference) because not only is it a self-serving cop out, but also I don't just see players mouthing off about it that as all that common.

Gotta admit, that one post you just made actually made perfect sense lol

njsean
08-09-2012, 02:04 PM

The Colts one? Yeah, this conversation got me thinking about it. If you look at 2005, they were 15-1 and a dominant team. They had a coach's son die. They lost to a 10-6 team at home, with the ref's making questionable calls.

A lot of similarities. And nobody said they beat themselves lol

EDIT: Oh, and they beat that Steelers team earlier in the season pretty soundly, unlike our game against GB.

Robert21156
08-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Wow! I thought I had an attitude. Seriously, we won and nothing can take that away, not even the refs or the NFL now. We played balls to the wall and beat them all(refs/NFL) included. WE ARE THE NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!! Clay Matthews can go dig a ditch and stick his head in it for all I care. Our Team is doing the right thing and staying under the radar once again for ALL the right reasons........another quiet ring...JUST like I like it as we make the Jets keep buying material from JO-anns fabrics to keep covering them up. I predict a BLACKOUT of GIANTS STADIUM soon.

What a funny quote about the Jets having to buy more material from Jo-Anns fabrics to cover up our Lombardi's!!! Keep the humor coming. I also like us flying low but bringing home the bacon in the end.

Morehead State
08-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Actually the last two posts. Its like the disfunctional guy we've been dealing with was just replaced by an almost normal fan.

gmen46
08-09-2012, 03:37 PM

Morehead--
As follow up to the other "Clay Mathews" thread, I want to point out that the issue you have with this theme is only one of the issues. It's clear that you believe Mathews' comments to be a normal reaction by a proud player on a losing team. Especially a team that had been so dominant throughout the regular season. Believe it or not, I think it's safe now to say most Giants fans actually do understand that.

It also seems clear from all your previous comments on this discussion (the other thread about this) that you believe the "better team" lost that game. But let's set that aside, as that's not what I'm responding to here.

But, I believe the real issue here that bothers many (certainly me to some extent) is not the comments of CM per se--because you're not the only one who recognizes this as a common response immediately after a game-- but that he's making them now, 7 months after the fact and heading into the next season. And, that this occurs in an off-season following our Super Bowl win.

If the Giants had gone on to lose a beat-down to the Niners the following week, or had gone on to a humiliating Super Bowl loss, then it would be understandable to most folks (even most Giants fans) why Mathews finds it necessary to make this claim now. A 9-7 team defeating the 15-1 team would appear to be a fluke. But that was not the case, was it?.

Also, this comes about in the context of an off season where the defending SB Champs are given the least chance in recent memory for a "defending champs" -like season in the following season.

This is not me whining about "Giants get no respect" (I happen to not buy into that, anyway; it is what is, so be it).

This is not just the "overly sensitive Giants fans" you deride here thinking this. This unusual phenomenon has been remarked upon at some point by each different show on NFL Network the past several weeks ("Super Bowl Champs flying under the radar"; "Super Bowl MVP is the 3rd most talked about QB in NY", etc, etc). Even Eli--in his typical subtle, deadpan, non-confrontational manner--remarked on this almost under his breath in his appearance on the new NFL AM show last week. "Has never happened before" I believe was his barely heard comment. And if he makes a comment in public about something, you know it's not some impulsive emotional flying-off-the-handle response. It likely has merit.

The real issue--and the reason in my mind why it's worth commenting on at all--with Mathews' comments arising now as they do, is that, combined with Coach McCarthy's comments in June, quite obviously the Giants are in the heads of at least some key components of the Packers entering the 2012 season, and that we meet end of November this year. And that can be a good thing for the Giants.

Bottom line is that these comments, coming so long after the game in question, as opposed to a normal response immediately after the game, serves only to make Mathews in particular look like a fool, and does not speak well of the team in general (that "we chose the wrong game to give it up" part, doncha know?). It makes the team look like spoiled children and of course, sore losers.

That's the issue.

On the other hand, it has given the Giants as an organization the opportunity to respond in a classy and confident manner, and they have done so, primarily with Tuck's comments and silence from most of the players (Snee did have a small funny jab at Mathews--as in "obviously Mathews chose the wrong game to not show up").

njsean
08-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Actually the last two posts. Its like the disfunctional guy we've been dealing with was just replaced by an almost normal fan.

Not sure how my point now is any different than one I've been expressing throughout the thread, but whatever works.

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
well said gmen. u should be a writer for real. u got a great way with words...and thats awesome snee said that. clever response imo

ur posts are how my posts would be if i spent more time on them.

BlueBlitzer
08-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Feet Of Clay

Morehead State
08-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Morehead--
As follow up to the other "Clay Mathews" thread, I want to point out that the issue you have with this theme is only one of the issues. It's clear that you believe Mathews' comments to be a normal reaction by a proud player on a losing team. Especially a team that had been so dominant throughout the regular season. Believe it or not, I think it's safe now to say most Giants fans actually do understand that.

It also seems clear from all your previous comments on this discussion (the other thread about this) that you believe the "better team" lost that game. But let's set that aside, as that's not what I'm responding to here.

But, I believe the real issue here that bothers many (certainly me to some extent) is not the comments of CM per se--because you're not the only one who recognizes this as a common response immediately after a game-- but that he's making them now, 7 months after the fact and heading into the next season. And, that this occurs in an off-season following our Super Bowl win.

If the Giants had gone on to lose a beat-down to the Niners the following week, or had gone on to a humiliating Super Bowl loss, then it would be understandable to most folks (even most Giants fans) why Mathews finds it necessary to make this claim now. A 9-7 team defeating the 15-1 team would appear to be a fluke. But that was not the case, was it?.

Also, this comes about in the context of an off season where the defending SB Champs are given the least chance in recent memory for a "defending champs" -like season in the following season.

This is not me whining about "Giants get no respect" (I happen to not buy into that, anyway; it is what is, so be it).

This is not just the "overly sensitive Giants fans" you deride here thinking this. This unusual phenomenon has been remarked upon at some point by each different show on NFL Network the past several weeks ("Super Bowl Champs flying under the radar"; "Super Bowl MVP is the 3rd most talked about QB in NY", etc, etc). Even Eli--in his typical subtle, deadpan, non-confrontational manner--remarked on this almost under his breath in his appearance on the new NFL AM show last week. "Has never happened before" I believe was his barely heard comment. And if he makes a comment in public about something, you know it's not some impulsive emotional flying-off-the-handle response. It likely has merit.

The real issue--and the reason in my mind why it's worth commenting on at all--with Mathews' comments arising now as they do, is that, combined with Coach McCarthy's comments in June, quite obviously the Giants are in the heads of at least some key components of the Packers entering the 2012 season, and that we meet end of November this year. And that can be a good thing for the Giants.

Bottom line is that these comments, coming so long after the game in question, as opposed to a normal response immediately after the game, serves only to make Mathews in particular look like a fool, and does not speak well of the team in general (that "we chose the wrong game to give it up" part, doncha know?). It makes the team look like spoiled children and of course, sore losers.

That's the issue.

On the other hand, it has given the Giants as an organization the opportunity to respond in a classy and confident manner, and they have done so, primarily with Tuck's comments and silence from most of the players (Snee did have a small funny jab at Mathews--as in "obviously Mathews chose the wrong game to not show up").
The Giants were the better team, hands down.
But i do believe that Matthews thought they were the better team and blew it. They played crappy but we were still the better team. We proved that the next two games.

Buddy333
08-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Would it be so bad to just give the Giants their due? Not only where hey the better team, they dominated the game and made Green Bay look bad. They could not stop the Giants offense from scoring in 2 games and where really just a bad defensive team this year. So it wasn't just that game that they played bad. It was the entire season. As far as their offense, the Giants defense just shut them down. Not because of luck or bad play. Add to that the refs made some horrible calls which lead to the only 2 TD's by Green Bay. It's not like they didn't do that to any other team. In fact the entire post season the Giants defense was shutting offense down. So why did Green Bay have heir worst game at home that day as the defending Super Bowl champions? I didn't hear any of the other teams saying this?

I know players say this from time to time. I don't think he was trying to take a shot at the Giants.

gmen46
08-09-2012, 07:22 PM
well said gmen. u should be a writer for real. u got a great way with words...and thats awesome snee said that. clever response imo

ur posts are how my posts would be if i spent more time on them.

Kind of you to say. Thanks.

gmen46
08-09-2012, 07:24 PM
The Giants were the better team, hands down.
But i do believe that Matthews thought they were the better team and blew it. They played crappy but we were still the better team. We proved that the next two games.

Alrighty, then.

Morehead State
08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Alrighty, then.
Why on earth would you think I would believe anything else?

gmen46
08-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Why on earth would you think I would believe anything else?

Because of how often in the other "Mathews said..." thread you referred to Packers playing so poorly that game, with little to no link to The Giants playing so well that game. Both were required for the victory to occur, in my opinion, although given how close we came to defeating them in the reg season game, and given the way our entire team (especially defense) played in the playoff game, it's quite likely we still would have won that playoff game even if their offense had played "better" according to their own thinking.

But I stand corrected, I misinterpreted you regarding that, so all is good.

zimonami
08-09-2012, 09:23 PM
We all know that the Pack was lucky to win the regular season game. Matthews can't have been blind to that. He had to know that when we played them well... we were a viable opponent, and that the playoff game could go either way.
His statements make me believe that he didn't take us seriously in the playoff game... that he didn't respect our potential... and thus his disappointment. Yes, they beat themselves.
They made mistakes and turnovers that were caused by our payers... Our defense outplayed their offense. it wasn't like the famous Jerry Rice fumble with no one within 5 yards of him. We caused the turnovers, and then we capitalized because our offense played better than their defense did.
We played better on both sides of the ball.
They beat themselves by being outplayed by someone good enough to make them pay for their deficiencies.
Amen.

gmen46
08-10-2012, 01:22 AM
We all know that the Pack was lucky to win the regular season game. Matthews can't have been blind to that. He had to know that when we played them well... we were a viable opponent, and that the playoff game could go either way.
His statements make me believe that he didn't take us seriously in the playoff game... that he didn't respect our potential... and thus his disappointment. Yes, they beat themselves.
They made mistakes and turnovers that were caused by our payers... Our defense outplayed their offense. it wasn't like the famous Jerry Rice fumble with no one within 5 yards of him. We caused the turnovers, and then we capitalized because our offense played better than their defense did.
They beat themselves by being outplayed by someone good enough to make them pay for their deficiencies.
Amen.

Say Halleluah

Drez
08-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Amen.

Well, there was the one fumble (I think Kuhn's) that happened when he ran into his own guy. The other 3 we forced, though.

However, I'm surprised not too many pundits have linked why Atlanta, GB, SF, and NE played so poorly against us is because we were playing so well and forced them to play like crap.