PDA

View Full Version : The New York Giants vs the world...

giantyankee1976
08-09-2012, 07:15 AM
...okay, not the world but the League.

As we absorb the NYGs and the League-wide sentiments about them, be it from Sports Media, Team/ Franchise or fan point-of-view; I have come away with a few thoughts.

1a) The Teams of the NFL, (NBA, MLB, NHL etc.), are not National Entities (Nations).
1b) Therefore unlike NATO or UN politics, we have NO allies.
1c) Therefore it's the NYG's versus 31 other teams

ergo

2) It's kind of weird for any of us to have a "2nd favorite team" because by definition, eventually our 2nd favorite team will eventually cause us to have to "choose sides."

That's not to say we can't have respect for other organizations, especially those that have been Historically classy and/or exhibit a Franchise mentality reminiscent of our own New York Football Giants. (to me, this is the Steelers, Packers, Lions for example)

So what's the point?

Maybe this is something of a rallying cry, but we should not allow ourselves to be rattled or bent out of shape because of League-wide disrespect perception. (Though, in truth the disrespect is beyond ridiculous and pisses me off, I also know that nothing less should be expected.)

But when it's all said and done, only 1 team can win a game, only 1 team can win the Lombardi.

As many of you hope, all we can ask of Big Blue is to represent us, the fans well, to play with Pride and to be All In. (again)

It's us against the League. And that's how it should be.

GMENAGAIN
08-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Would you guys rather the media all predict that we go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl?

giantyankee1976
08-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Would you guys rather the media all predict that we go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl?

don't know if that's at me or in general but, my answers of course not.

TheEnigma
08-09-2012, 07:33 AM

I'd rather the media be more consistent in who they show more respect for after and before each season. Like when the 2010 season ended, the Eagles finished the best out of the division and deserved more respect and got it. Now after the 2011 season, we won the Superbowl but...the Eagles are still getting more respect. I just ask for fairness and consistency from the media but that hasn't been around in ages so it's most likely a lost cause.

giantyankee1976
08-09-2012, 07:37 AM
understandable but what I am trying to put out is, in some ways we the fans, are getting baited by the haters almost all the time and we take the bait.

Tuck's response was on point and well done. We should try to imitate it instead of appearing so butt-hurt over some dingbat comments from the peanut gallery of haters and rivals.

nhpgiantsfan
08-09-2012, 07:53 AM
...okay, not the world but the League.

As we absorb the NYGs and the League-wide sentiments about them, be it from Sports Media, Team/ Franchise or fan point-of-view; I have come away with a few thoughts.

1a) The Teams of the NFL, (NBA, MLB, NHL etc.), are not National Entities (Nations).
1b) Therefore unlike NATO or UN politics, we have NO allies.
1c) Therefore it's the NYG's versus 31 other teams

ergo

2) It's kind of weird for any of us to have a "2nd favorite team" because by definition, eventually our 2nd favorite team will eventually cause us to have to "choose sides."

That's not to say we can't have respect for other organizations, especially those that have been Historically classy and/or exhibit a Franchise mentality reminiscent of our own New York Football Giants. (to me, this is the Steelers, Packers, Lions for example)

So what's the point?

Maybe this is something of a rallying cry, but we should not allow ourselves to be rattled or bent out of shape because of League-wide disrespect perception. (Though, in truth the disrespect is beyond ridiculous and pisses me off, I also know that nothing less should be expected.)

But when it's all said and done, only 1 team can win a game, only 1 team can win the Lombardi.

As many of you hope, all we can ask of Big Blue is to represent us, the fans well, to play with Pride and to be All In. (again)

It's us against the League. And that's how it should be.

I'm with you with the Packers and Steelers, but are you calling the Lions a classy organization. They are a bunch of criminals. I believe 1/3 of the team was arrested this year. They are definately not a team I would ever root for, unless they were playing a team that affected us some how.

fansince69
08-09-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm with you with the Packers and Steelers, but are you calling the Lions a classy organization. They are a bunch of criminals. I believe 1/3 of the team was arrested this year. They are definately not a team I would ever root for, unless they were playing a team that affected us some how.

When most people speak of an organization it has more to do with the owners and the front office and way team is run not the players.....Even the history of that team comes into play....I am still not sure I would include the lions on that list........If you want to include players in that scenario would that mean that Harrison....a true scum bag on the field makes the Steelers less of an organization?

GMENAGAIN
08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I'd rather the media be more consistent in who they show more respect for after and before each season. Like when the 2010 season ended, the Eagles finished the best out of the division and deserved more respect and got it. Now after the 2011 season, we won the Superbowl but...the Eagles are still getting more respect. I just ask for fairness and consistency from the media but that hasn't been around in ages so it's most likely a lost cause.

Why?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy . . . I just truly don't understand why anyone cares about preseason rankings by the media, which almost always turn out to be completely wrong.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Every single thread in this forum is about how the media hates us. Jesus christ.

I bet if we went 10-6 or 11-5, the media would be on our ****s.

We went not-so-assuring 9-7 last season and we got praise by the media saying how we got hot before and in the playoffs.

Toadofsteel
08-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Every single thread in this forum is about how the media hates us. Jesus christ.

I bet if we went 10-6 or 11-5, the media would be on our ****s.

We went not-so-assuring 9-7 last season and we got praise by the media saying how we got hot before and in the playoffs.

How is that "praise"? Seems like a back-handed compliment to me... the "got hot at the right time" argument implies that we overachieved and our team is not really that talented...

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 10:34 AM
How is that "praise"? Seems like a back-handed compliment to me... the "got hot at the right time" argument implies that we overachieved and our team is not really that talented...

If you disagree that we played many ****ty games during the season (the 2 redskins games,etc.) and didn't get hot (or in this case our potential) then you are blind.

We have a good team, we have talented players to get to 10-6 or 11-5.

I don't see why we went 9-7 except for sheer playing horribly.

It's not a blow, it's how the Giants played. And all that matters is the Lombardi in the end

jakegibbs
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM

The media gives more respect to the Eagles baised upon talent right? When those in the know compare by position the Eagles are at the top of the NFL talent wise & that's why they are the preseason favorite especially how they ended last year on a winning streak.

Now with the tragedy they suffered brining all the players closer together & Vick declaring that this season's dedication to the deceased & head coach they will truly be hard to beat but that's why they play the games because talk is cheap right?

PierrePaul
08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I think if youlookat it from a non fan perspective, Philly looks like the team to beat. Better RB, flashy QB, scary WRs, and a defense that showed late in the year that they can get it done. As Far as worrying about the media, that's just a waste of time. There are so many people making predictions, it almost makes sense to predict that RG3 causes a massive shift in the NFC east ans Washington makes the playoffs. At least your prediction will get noticed. If you predict the Super Bowl champs are going to do well again...you'd probably get lost in the crowd. Having said all that, if you ask me, the Giants have an excellent chance of repeating. TC and Eli keep us focused all season. And that pass rush makes us tough to beat in the playoffs.

TheEnigma
08-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm not looking at this through a Giants fan perspective. This inconsistency with the media happens to several teams in other divisions as well. You probably wouldn't know that the Seahawks field one of the best secondaries in the NFL because they never take the time to talk about the Seahawks unless it's Matt Flynn or how about the Bengals who have a very good and upcoming roster? Back to the Giants, yeah we were 9-7 and don't deserve constant praise every day but at the same time, why is an 8-8 team getting more respect? You know if the only thing reversed was the Eagles winning the SB and the Giants not making the playoffs, the Eagles would be getting their dues. Again, I only ask for consistency from the media in regards to all sports and fairness for all teams. We should expect better from them and deserve better as well.

Buddy333
08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
The media does not hate the Giants. Yes, this year they seem to have dismissed the champs a bit more than I can remember, but the media has given them their due lots of times. In 2008 they where calling them the best team in the NFL. In 2009 they where calling them the best team in the NFL. In 2010 they where calling them one of the best teams in the NFL. Seeing as how it is so hard to repeat the media can say any other team is going to win this year and the odds would say they are right. We as fans want to see a repeat, and I believe they have the team to do it, but it's very hard to do. I actually hope they are under dogs in every single game this year and they have Eli ranked as the 4th best QB in the division. They play better with the odds against them.

Relentless
08-10-2012, 02:12 PM
You're so right. I think this is the first year it didn't make me angry, in fact I thought it was pretty funny.

-Cowboys have won one playoff game since 1996
-Romo has one total playoff win under his belt
-Eagles have won a total of zero Superbowl's
-Eagles "dream team" of 2011 was supposed to take them to the Superbowl but couldn't even get them into the postseason

Giants: four Lombardi trophies, two SB wins in the last six years, Eli two-time SB MVP

And yet, just like last year and the year before that, and the year before that, etc... All the preseason sports pundits are treating the G-Men like the red-headed-step-child.

Medisleman
08-10-2012, 03:47 PM
RGIII gets more respect from the media than Eli and he hasn't even played a down in the NFL yet. Eli who had won a SB ring claimed to be top ten and they went Ape S., but they act like RGIII is already top 10.