PDA

View Full Version : Thinking back....Nicks vs Britt

keyofgmen
08-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I was just thinking back to 2009 draft. When our turn came up, I was partial to K Britt. We, of course, took Nicks right before him.
Phew!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't pick horses or numbers either!
Better stick to the day job.

rainierjef
08-09-2012, 02:48 PM
word!!! i wanted Britt, the bigger, faster receiver. i am so happy we chose nicks over britt. smfh

primetime
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I think many fans wanted Britt for a few reasons.
1. He has a ton of talent.
2. He played for Rutgers, he's a Jersey kid.

I remember the thing that I liked about Hakeem Nicks coming out of college was he was "NFL ready"
Here are the career stats of the 1st round wr class in 09 (just receiving stats)

Nicks: 202 Receptions, 3,034 yds, 24 td's
Darrius Heyward-Bey: 99 Receptions, 1,465 yds, 6 td's
Crabtree: 175 Receptions, 2,240 yds, 12 td's
Jeremy Maclin: 188 Receptions, 2,585 yds, 19 td's
Percy Harvin: 218 receptions, 2,625 yds, 17 td's
Kenny Britt: 101 Receptions, 1,765 yds, 15 td's

We can put into account the qb's that have to get the ball to the receivers. But overall, I think Reese made the right decision in Nicks.

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-09-2012, 03:06 PM
I some times wonder if Britt would have shaped up if he was in New York though.

Carter.525
08-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I wanted either Nicks, Britt or Harvin during that draft.. Glad we got Nicks

BigBlue1971
08-09-2012, 03:16 PM
I some times wonder if Britt would have shaped up if he was in New York though.

i dont know if he would or not. hes approaching "Pacman Jones" status. hes an accident waiting to happen!

initially i wanted Britt over Nicks but i am happy for the way it turned out!

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
yea i wanted britt slightly over nicks although i was fine with either at the time. britt went the next pick after us IIRC...but yea, nicks has been the best wr from that class imo. and as another said, he was the most nfl ready, but he also has an amazing upside too...cant believe he fell so far...

BigBlue1971
08-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Nicks by a wide margin is the best of the 2009 wideout class which included Heyward-Bey, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin and Britt.

Harvin is prolly the next best imo!

Giantslb66
08-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I think there were many of us that would have been just as happy with the KB pick........SO glad we took Hakeem!

Mercury
08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Nicks has a great advantage over the other receivers from 2009. He has Eli to throw him the ball!

NYGAiG88
08-09-2012, 04:23 PM
I can absolutely say I was never more excited about us drafting a guy when we drafted him...I followed drafts every year but never got too excited about certain players because it never panned out...But when we were in talks about getting him and I did a lot of research on him I know I absolutely wanted the Giants to draft him..And been loving it ever since!!

thomsoad
08-09-2012, 04:24 PM
i dont know if he would or not. hes approaching "Pacman Jones" status. hes an accident waiting to happen!

initially i wanted Britt over Nicks but i am happy for the way it turned out!

Im not complaining about Nicks in the least....but its a valid point. Who know how Britt wulda turned out with Coughlin and Eli. I do know this much...based on just pure athletic ability... Britt > Nicks.

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 04:25 PM
i disagree thomsoad...nicks has just as much athletic ability...

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 04:26 PM
ive seen nicks make those over the middle tough grabs in traffic (like in this last SB where he jumped and reached up to snag it) and make them look easy on a consistent basis...both are excellent atheltic specimens and i dunno how nicks fell to where he did. but in terms of athleticism, both were on most peoples draft boards as interchangable....

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 04:28 PM
imo it came down to britt having a bit more size but nicks being a bit more ready. glad we went the way we did but i also think britt could have excelled here too. we have a class organization with an established system...

Carter.525
08-09-2012, 04:37 PM
imo it came down to britt having a bit more size but nicks being a bit more ready. glad we went the way we did but i also think britt could have excelled here too. we have a class organization with an established system...

Yup.. Britt could have had a diffrent career in NY

Kase-1
08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I admit I was on the Britt side of the debate as well.

He was a local kid
He had the protoypical size for a beastly WR
He played his college ball at a local school

I mean all the stars look like they aligned but J-Reese saw something we didnt (as usual) and WOW was he right. It seems that everytime KB is back in the Tri-State Area he instantly gets in trouble with the law

Jahh
08-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Nicks by a wide margin is the best of the 2009 wideout class which included Heyward-Bey, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin and Britt.

Harvin is prolly the next best imo!

Wasn't Mike Wallace taken in the middle of that draft too? I'd still take Nicks over him but I might take Maclin over Wallace and Wallace over Harvin.

penguinfarmer
08-09-2012, 05:06 PM
I'll bite the bullet on this one. I did want Nicks as a player, but I knew Britt and wanted him a Giants for selfish reasons. I never would have guessed he'd turn out like this.

Redeyejedi
08-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Im not complaining about Nicks in the least....but its a valid point. Who know how Britt wulda turned out with Coughlin and Eli. I do know this much...based on just pure athletic ability... Britt > Nicks.Britt looked like he was going to have a 1500 yard season last year. Did u see his first 2 games. Guy is mega talented but is a head case. The worries about his character were legit

greenca190
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
i'm surprised crabtree has put up those numbers. you never hear anything from him.

ponch inda face
08-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I think another reason Britt was coveted by so many Giant fans was the due to the loss of Plaxico and his size. It can't be argued that much of the success in the Eli/Plaxico connection was due to Plaxico's size and ability to catch balls that were less than accurate. When he was lost, that lack of size was felt especially with Eli's tendency to throw high at the time. Britt was viewed as a candidate to potentially fill that need.

BlueSanta
08-09-2012, 06:32 PM

While you can never know what would have happened, you could just as easily make the same argument against him.

This is a guy that has been in trouble with the law more times than he has years in the league. He also has a bad habbit of misusing the media to snipe his team.

That said, how much worse would those problems have compounded had he been in NY, the media capital of the world. In many ways he is lucky that some of his crimes were NOT committed in NY where the penalties for some of those crimes are much more severe.

BlueSanta
08-09-2012, 06:33 PM

While you can never know what would have happened, you could just as easily make the same argument against him.

This is a guy that has been in trouble with the law more times than he has years in the league. He also has a bad habbit of misusing the media to snipe his team.

That said, how much worse would those problems have compounded had he been in NY, the media capital of the world.Any snipe he makes would be more publicized than a terriorist attack. In many ways he is also lucky that some of his crimes he commited were NOT committed in NY where the penalties for some of those crimes are much more severe. The recent felony charge alone would likely be a long term sentence in NYC.

JPP
08-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Nicks has a great advantage over the other receivers from 2009. He has Eli to throw him the ball!

Not all receivers can learn and be successful with the schemes though or reading the right defenses which is what we want from our receivers.

BlueSanta
08-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Not all receivers can learn and be successful with the schemes though or reading the right defenses which is what we want from our receivers.

So if Nicks had Collins, Vince Young, Matt Hassleback throwing to him since being drafted he would have been arrested 8 times since 2009?

Damn Eli IS good!

slipknottin
08-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I heard all sorts of stories about Britt in college, had no interest in him being a giant, didnt matter how talented he was.

As for Britt on the giants being better off? He gets in enough trouble in Tennessee, he would be in trouble even more often with the temptation of NYC. And after having one moron receiver shoot himself at a club, I very much doubt the giants had ANY interest in another receiver who is every bit as likely to do something just as dumb.

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
So if Nicks had Collins, Vince Young, Matt Hassleback throwing to him since being drafted he would have been arrested 8 times since 2009?

Damn Eli IS good!
no. he's saying theres also the chance britt wouldnt pick up our scheme and progress as well as nicks has

BlueSanta
08-09-2012, 09:34 PM
no. he's saying theres also the chance britt wouldnt pick up our scheme and progress as well as nicks has

My response was not a slight to him, it was a slight to Britt and those above that implied Britt would have done better here under TC and Eli's guidance. In other words, the people who won't eat their crow.

BROADWAYSTORM
08-10-2012, 12:17 AM
I wanted Hakeem, he won me over with that one handed under his legs catch in his bowl game that year. You could just see he was the better receiver.

AllHaillDaNYG
08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Nicks fell to us only because he went to North Carolina, not traditionally a strong football school.

dnotch121
08-10-2012, 02:36 AM
i think reese has a crystal ball or something. lol

Yonks
08-10-2012, 03:52 AM
I admit I was on the Britt side of the debate as well.

He was a local kid
He had the protoypical size for a beastly WR
He played his college ball at a local school
I mean all the stars look like they aligned but J-Reese saw something we didnt (as usual) and WOW was he right. It seems that everytime KB is back in the Tri-State Area he instantly gets in trouble with the lawYea it's because whenever he's in NJ, he always hanging around with bloods and they extort him for money. His whole family is on crack as well... Idk why kenny even goes to Bayonne, ppl treat him like **** over there....it's no wonder he's always in trouble.

GMENAGAIN
08-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Nicks fell to us only because he went to North Carolina, not traditionally a strong football school.
Eh, no . . . . . . .

Hakeeeem88
08-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I was the same way on draft day while I was happy with Nicks given a choice I would have taken Britt. BIG MISTAKE!