PDA

View Full Version : Peyton was right

ponch inda face
08-09-2012, 10:07 PM
when he predicted Eli would win multiple Super bowls. Since Feb, I've been thinking about his prediction that Eli would win multiple championships and how at times before the first SB, a lot of Giant fans (including myself) were not sure if he would ever come close to being worthy of the first overall pick. Fast forward to the present and I can't think of a more battle tested QB in the league than Eli. When you think of everything he's had to endure- the pressure of being the first overall pick, the pressure of being Archie Manning's son, the pressure of being the brother of arguably the best, at that time, QB in the league, playing in the media capital of the world, coming in as a rookie and taking over for Kurt Warner and playing with teammates at the offensive skill positions that were less than encouraging in his development-it's amazing to think of what he's accomplished in his 8 years in the league.

Because 07 came out of left field and was totally unexpected, I always said Eli did enough for me to accept him warts and all. But then he helped bring us another one and really earned his stripes this year considering we had no running game. Defenses knew the Oline had issues and still had trouble stopping Eli, especially in the playoffs. He's solidified himself as a clutch QB that rises to the occasion when the stakes are high.

Although I didn't see it at the time, Peyton was right; his brother is pretty good.

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 10:17 PM
great post. know what else? you should see peytons senior year yearbook photo in HS. He writes in the message area that eli will be even better than him...still got some time but the gap has def closed

ponch inda face
08-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Makes for an interesting debate-is it stellar overall stats that make the better QB or stellar stats when it counts. I don't think Eli will ever be a league leader in any of the glamor stats, but he's proven to be a winner. He can still frustrate occasionally, but last year was a big year for him and I like that all I hear from him is a desire to get better going forward...exactly what you want from your QB.

greenca190
08-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Makes for an interesting debate-is it stellar overall stats that make the better QB or stellar stats when it counts. I don't think Eli will ever be a league leader in any of the glamor stats, but he's proven to be a winner. He can still frustrate occasionally, but last year was a big year for him and I like that all I hear from him is a desire to get better going forward...exactly what you want from your QB.

One of the greatest quarterbacks of all time thinks Eli is better than him. What stats do you think matter?

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Eli is a proven crunch time winner in all aspects. WE are lucky to have him. Fuggedatabout rivers,, we did the right deal.

giantsfan420
08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
One of the greatest quarterbacks of all time thinks Eli is better than him. What stats do you think matter?
is that a slight at my comment or something? bc i was just responding to the OP claim about Peyton on Eli, and added something else Peyton said. If you werent being condescending, sorry. just theres some posters who are willing to jump all over someone for making a positive comment about eli

ponch inda face
08-09-2012, 10:57 PM

I get what you're saying. I'd rather have the winner of more rings of course. Still makes for an interesting debate for those who do not have a dog in the fight.

Toadofsteel
08-09-2012, 11:22 PM
I get what you're saying. I'd rather have the winner of more rings of course. Still makes for an interesting debate for those who do not have a dog in the fight.

You mean like the eagles?

LOL couldn't resist...

ashleymarie
08-10-2012, 12:48 AM

Archie Manning made a comment when Peyton was just coming on the scene. He told the media that he had another son at home who was going to be better than Peyton. Everyone thought he was kidding, at least I did. LOL

jomo
08-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Archie Manning made a comment when Peyton was just coming on the scene. He told the media that he had another son at home who was going to be better than Peyton. Everyone thought he was kidding, at least I did. LOL............and just 12 months ago Eli caused a furor by simply saying that he considered himself among the elite QBs in the game. No furor anymore!

SweetZombieJesus
08-10-2012, 02:52 AM
In those early years all I asked for was year-to-year improvement but by 2007 I was wondering if it was time to think about moving on.

Now in hindsight, has there ever been anyone who has embodied Wellington Mara's patient philosophy more than Eli? Or the grace and aplomb with which he handled criticism from within and without?

I often wish Wellington could have seen what happened, to know he was right, to see the glory that was just around the corner.

scoopscj
08-10-2012, 03:32 AM
............and just 12 months ago Eli caused a furor by simply saying that he considered himself among the elite QBs in the game. No furor anymore!

Not more than a few hours ago, the Bears Broncos announcer said without any hint of sarcasm in his voice that the Bears would be good because Jay Cutler is ELITE.

Yup... he said it and he meant it.

Apparently you can now just toss that expression around willy nilly. Enough of that.

To continue the spirit of the thread I can say I've been the biggest Phil Simms supporter but I have to now admit that Eli is better. We are lucky to have such a quality human being running the Giants. Regardless if he wins another title, he is an amazing talent and person. Glad he is a part of "our" team.

Scoops

Die-Hard
08-10-2012, 06:37 AM
LOL

Took 2 days to start another one. Thats a record. Please continue

ponch inda face
08-10-2012, 08:37 AM
LOL

Took 2 days to start another one. Thats a record. Please continue

This actually was not intended to be another Eli is Elite thread. It was more of a look back at how before 07, it did not look very likely that he could lead the Giants to a SB, much less 2. Like many on these boards, I was sometimes frustrated by his play; where i saw one too many screen passes fall at the receiver's feet or a ball was forced or airmailed over the outstretched reach of the WR. There were some years where you didn't see the improvement or development necessary to get better at the position.

I've been a reader of these boards for many years and have read the majority of the pro-Eli vs. Eli realist debates, so I get it, it gets to be kind of a drag after a while. I was just taking the opportunity to look up and realize how crazy it is when i think back to how many, myself included, didn't think he had the talent to be a championship caliber QB, like his brother. Now here he is 2 rings later.

jomo
08-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Not more than a few hours ago, the Bears Broncos announcer said without any hint of sarcasm in his voice that the Bears would be good because Jay Cutler is ELITE.

Yup... he said it and he meant it.

Apparently you can now just toss that expression around willy nilly. Enough of that.

To continue the spirit of the thread I can say I've been the biggest Phil Simms supporter but I have to now admit that Eli is better. We are lucky to have such a quality human being running the Giants. Regardless if he wins another title, he is an amazing talent and person. Glad he is a part of "our" team.

ScoopsYep!.............

GIANTSACK
08-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Peyton wasnt the only One who made that prediction. Someone from nfl network mention that eli would bring home a couple title back to ny even b4 Eli won his first. I remember when Eli was struggling and that person just flat out said Eli will improve and Win a couple of rings. Everyone laugh at him while he had a dead serious look. I wish I had that clip

nycisgreat
08-10-2012, 10:38 AM
when he predicted Eli would win multiple Super bowls. Since Feb, I've been thinking about his prediction that Eli would win multiple championships and how at times before the first SB, a lot of Giant fans (including myself) were not sure if he would ever come close to being worthy of the first overall pick. Fast forward to the present and I can't think of a more battle tested QB in the league than Eli. When you think of everything he's had to endure- the pressure of being the first overall pick, the pressure of being Archie Manning's son, the pressure of being the brother of arguably the best, at that time, QB in the league, playing in the media capital of the world, coming in as a rookie and taking over for Kurt Warner and playing with teammates at the offensive skill positions that were less than encouraging in his development-it's amazing to think of what he's accomplished in his 8 years in the league.

Because 07 came out of left field and was totally unexpected, I always said Eli did enough for me to accept him warts and all. But then he helped bring us another one and really earned his stripes this year considering we had no running game. Defenses knew the Oline had issues and still had trouble stopping Eli, especially in the playoffs. He's solidified himself as a clutch QB that rises to the occasion when the stakes are high.

Although I didn't see it at the time, Peyton was right; his brother is pretty good.

Amen Brother, you couldn't have said it any better.

nycisgreat
08-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Peyton wasnt the only he who made that prediction. Someone from nfl network mention that eli would bring home a couple title back to ny even b4 Eli won his first. I remember when Eli was struggling and that person just flat out said Eli will improve and Win a couple of rings. Everyone laugh at him while he had a dead serious look. I wish I had that clip

I really would like to see that clip. Not to many people on the NFL network are complimentary of Eli, except Deion. ESPN Commentators typically hate on the Giants each year, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

njg85m
08-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Peyton has done some things on the football field that I haven't seen anybody do in my entire life. He's as close to 'perfect' as you are going to get.

That said, I'll still take Eli. Sure, Peyton would run circles around Eli in a passing drill contest, but in an actual game when your team is down by 4 with a minute to go, anyone would be crazy to take Peyton over Eli. That's when Eli has proved that he is at his best, and Peyton has proved that he's pretty good.

Roosevelt
08-10-2012, 10:57 AM
is that a slight at my comment or something? bc i was just responding to the OP claim about Peyton on Eli, and added something else Peyton said. If you werent being condescending, sorry. just theres some posters who are willing to jump all over someone for making a positive comment about eli

Sorry man, but you're so paranoid over Eli that it's comical. lol.

giantsfan420
08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Peyton has done some things on the football field that I haven't seen anybody do in my entire life. He's as close to 'perfect' as you are going to get.

That said, I'll still take Eli. Sure, Peyton would run circles around Eli in a passing drill contest, but in an actual game when your team is down by 4 with a minute to go, anyone would be crazy to take Peyton over Eli. That's when Eli has proved that he is at his best, and Peyton has proved that he's pretty good.

he also looked pretty good last night too. i shouldnt have been surprised but I was. Happy to see Peyton looking like his old self, for 10 plays at least lol...denver could be good. looks like the whole team is stepping up behind Peyton

Toadofsteel
08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
That's the thing about the Manning family... they stand together. The media would have your believe that Peyton is jealous of Eli and his ring count. Nothing could be farther from the case. It's nice to see that even in a family of millionaire sports celebrities, there's some actual human decency as well.

ponch inda face
08-10-2012, 11:42 AM
That's the thing about the Manning family... they stand together. The media would have your believe that Peyton is jealous of Eli and his ring count. Nothing could be farther from the case. It's nice to see that even in a family of millionaire sports celebrities, there's some actual human decency as well.

Definitely. Can't forget Peyton's reaction in the stands on the game winning drive in SB 42. He was as pumped up as anyone. Can't blame him, I mean it was his brother and all, but it was a cool scene.

njg85m
08-10-2012, 12:07 PM
he also looked pretty good last night too. i shouldnt have been surprised but I was. Happy to see Peyton looking like his old self, for 10 plays at least lol...denver could be good. looks like the whole team is stepping up behind Peyton

I saw the highlights, he did look good from what I saw. He did throw a pick but IIRC it was really in no way his fault.
He was only in for 1 drive right?

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Peyton to Decker will be a force. Mark it, book it, do w.e you want with it.