PDA

View Full Version : How are the new refs doing so far?

Marvelousmik
08-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Its only week 1 of the preseason so i am not in much of a panic. But from what ive seen so far in the 3 games ive watched personally, there were some pretty bad calls made out there. And calls that were pretty obvious at that. It's still early so i am hoping things shape up by week 3 of the preseason. Maybe these new refs just need to get accustomed to the speed of the NFL. Any thoughts? What do you think of the officiating so far?

FBomb
08-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Its only week 1 of the preseason so i am not in much of a panic. But from what ive seen so far in the 3 games ive watched personally, there were some pretty bad calls made out there. And calls that were pretty obvious at that. It's still early so i am hoping things shape up by week 3 of the preseason. Maybe these new refs just need to get accustomed to the speed of the NFL. Any thoughts? What do you think of the officiating so far?

There were some pretty bad, obvious calls by the old refs last year!!! There's no accountability!! You say anything you get fined!! The refs are protected and it's complete BS!!! Heads need to roll!!

Fuhgeddaboutit
08-10-2012, 09:33 AM
They were actually pretty bad LOL.

nycisgreat
08-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Honestly, its not like the regular refs did a stellar job last season. I really didn't see much difference last night with the replacements ref.

Marvelousmik
08-10-2012, 10:00 AM
This thread should have been made in the general sports section, sorry about that

Carter.525
08-10-2012, 10:06 AM
the play where the guy caught a punt around the 5 yard line and it was called a touchback was TURRIBLE !

Breezely
08-10-2012, 10:19 AM
With the love the Giants receive from the regular refs. . . .anything would be an improvement.

PBTimmons
08-10-2012, 10:42 AM
The only thing I am seeing from these refs is that they are opting not to throw flags. Holding aplenty, Def PI, big hits...etc. I have no problem with that. But if they are missing things like Hakeem sideline catches, fumbles ruled improperly and 12 men on field then there is a problem.

nhpgiantsfan
08-10-2012, 11:44 AM
It's almost impossible to watch 22 men on a field moving as fast as these guys do, and be able to call a perfect game. Calls get missed, these guys are human. Thank god for instant replay.

Jahh
08-10-2012, 12:19 PM
They all seem extremely hesitant. Did anyone see the touchback call on the Bills punt last night? It was clearly downed inside the 5 and they called touchback at which point the bills had to burn a challenge to get the right call.

GIANTSACK
08-10-2012, 12:22 PM
There was one ref who's looks to be in his late 60 who had a serious tan line. Looked like a raccoon. That's all I notice bc I don't pay attention to preseason much. Especially other teams

B-Red22
08-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Not only are the calls questionable(that can be coached and fixed) but the refs looked scared out there, and hesitate to take action.

RoanokeFan
08-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Honestly, its not like the regular refs did a stellar job last season. I really didn't see much difference last night with the replacements ref.

I think this is about right. Judgment calls are always going to draw criticism no matter who's making the calls.

08-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Not only are the calls questionable(that can be coached and fixed) but the refs looked scared out there, and hesitate to take action.

Just a High School Referee here with a handful of small college games, but I believe the NFL tells their officials to really lay back on the calls for holding and such.

Even in High School, we are advised that unless there is a safety factor, holding away from the point of attack is to be ignored.

As fans of the NFL, we all see tons of holding, arm bars (CB vs WR), action after the play is over and other issues that seem egregious to us but are not called. The NFL does NOT want a lot of calls made because it is in fact a different game than those played on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons.

So if the new guys are tenuous, they are probably holding back from throwing a flag that they would have in a lower level. Unless you have stepped onto the field and done the job, you have no idea how quick things happen and you have to have the courage to make a call, and even more to sometimes not make one. (I did not mean for that to sound like a criticism of the poster)

CTsREVENGE
08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
All I have to say is that they should give each team a few more challenges per game this year.

RoanokeFan
08-10-2012, 01:19 PM
All I have to say is that they should give each team a few more challenges per game this year.

I think a coach whose challenges are upheld so be allowed to keep challenging to a maximum of 4 per game.

nygmen90
08-10-2012, 01:59 PM
the play where the guy caught a punt around the 5 yard line and it was called a touchback was TURRIBLE !

LOL i saw that on sportscenter

Toadofsteel
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
At the very least the replacement refs are just a bit scared to make calls, as opposed to blatantly biased officiating like in the playoffs last year... the former will improve over time and experience, the latter is just a sign of bad refing...

Marvelousmik
08-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I think its safe to say something has to be done relatively soon.

TrueBlue@NYC
08-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I definitly saw the difference in this game compared to previous games with the regular refs. They didn't do an aweful job considering it was their first game, well maybe except for the end in which they blew the call on two ends.

Although I did like that they seemed to let more contact b/t the CB and WR, they did miss a blatant PI call on the fade to Jernigan in the endzone. He had to try and catch the ball with one hand b/c the CB was literally holding his other hand down.

manning to shockey
08-10-2012, 11:38 PM
What is it that the old refs want? I haven't been following why there is a lockout with them. Do they want more money? And if so I say pay the men their money. I think the NFL wouldn't even know the money is missing.

BigBlueAllDay
08-10-2012, 11:54 PM
I think a coach whose challenges are upheld so be allowed to keep challenging to a maximum of 4 per game.

I'd say coaches should have continuous challenges (why stop at 3 or 4?) until they lose 1 challenge with a minimum standard of the 2 challenges allowed per game. Coaches usually lose challenges because they challenge iffy plays with no indisputable visual evidence to overturn the call, the refs are so bad, they still can't get it right sometimes, or they're just making a last ditch effort to save the game near the end which never works.