PDA

View Full Version : What i learned from tonight's game....

LB5656
08-11-2012, 02:06 AM
I know I know. I'ts early. But I think Jerry did it again. Don't be shocked if picks 1-3 become HUGE contributors to this team. Hosley prob shocked me the most. In Jerry we trust. How about Kuhn too? Plus Martellus? I thank god everyday we don't have Tannenbaum lol.

Moke
08-11-2012, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't doubt it either.

Wilson, Hosley looked awesome.

Bennett will be the starter and ending TE of this giants season.

BlueSanta
08-11-2012, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't doubt it either.

Wilson, Hosley looked awesome.

Bennett will be the starter and ending TE of this giants season.

Speaking of Bennett. I hate to pick on a guy who had a bad night, but Bear Pascoe did not do so well blocking. I would like to see Bennett work more with the 1sts to see what he can do.

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Speaking of Bennett. I hate to pick on a guy who had a bad night, but Bear Pascoe did not do so well blocking. I would like to see Bennett work more with the 1sts to see what he can do.

But, at least Bennett proved he can work with our offense. Black Unicorn has a future here... and it makes me feel a lot better about the TE position.

On the other hand, i'm now a lot more worried about the secondary. Our supposedly excessively deep secondary collapsed so much in the game. Blown coverages left and right.

myles2424
08-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Speaking of blocking, anyone see the lack of w/brewer??? We don't exactly have the best tackles & this guy looked horrible....

LB5656
08-11-2012, 03:16 AM
O-line is probably the only position im truly worried about. We need beatty to get healthy.

G.I. Ants
08-11-2012, 03:58 AM
How about the play of Kuhn. He really opened up my eyes in one series when Carl Banks was praising Herz for his awareness. In that series, Kuhn made a nice TFL or the run play stuffing the runner, then he bulldozed through his blocker to get pressure on the QB causing him to make a quick throw for an incomplete screen pass attempt. Later in the game he batted a pass. Solid performance.

As a matter of fact, the entire D-line played great. They got so much pressure on the QB's all night. Sack after sack, the competition is looking fierce this year.

nycsportzfan
08-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Speaking of blocking, anyone see the lack of w/brewer??? We don't exactly have the best tackles & this guy looked horrible.... Absoulutley loved the pick of James Brewer, and if i had to pick one thing that worried me about him would be "passion".. I don't really know if that had anything to do with last nights game, but its something that i noticed while he was at Indiana.. Hopefully he realizes whats in front of him, which is a pretty open RT spot, which he can hold on to as his own for the next decade.. If u can't get up for that, then i don't know what to tell ya???lol

Brewer has the athletiscim, size, and long arms u covet.. Its just a matter of playing with passion and executing on the field.. Sometimes having the tools means nothing..

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 08:45 AM
I loved Brewer too, but he needs more functional strength. That and he just gets incredibly lazy in technique, leaning into the defender just hoping his size walls him off. It's for that reason I don't really see him on the right side.

fourth&forever
08-11-2012, 09:08 AM
I learned Will Hill is one vicious tackler. Some exceptional plays made by this young man.

On one running play, Hill took on the lead blocker (a large o-lineman) and folded the guy up. I mean it was a head-on assault and Hill collapsed the guy and the RB with him. Then the announcers (Banks and some dolt) gave credit for the tackle to Greg Jones who just fell on the ball carrier who was already down. Really an unbelievable play!

Also saw him slice through the line and stone another RB. Man can Hill play run support!

nhpgiantsfan
08-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Loved Austins bull rush on the play that resulted in JPP's fumble recovery.

jomo
08-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I know I know. I'ts early. But I think Jerry did it again. Don't be shocked if picks 1-3 become HUGE contributors to this team. Hosley prob shocked me the most. In Jerry we trust. How about Kuhn too? Plus Martellus? I thank god everyday we don't have Tannenbaum lol.I agree with everything except I would add Herzlich on the very positive side, Baas also looked very good and so did Will Hill. I don't think Kuhn looked good at all. I isolated him on about 15 plays and saw none of the "high motor" we were promised. Most times he just got knocked 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Overall a very encouraging start from guys not on the roster or big contributors last year.

jomo
08-11-2012, 09:47 AM
O-line is probably the only position im truly worried about. We need beatty to get healthy............and all we've seen from Beatty even at his best is an adequate LT.

fletch842
08-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I was not impressed by the overall defensive effort. Bennett looked pretty good. I like what I saw from the top 3 picks, I'll cut Hausley (sp?) some slack on the muffed punt fro now. JPP is beastly.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM
...........and all we've seen from Beatty even at his best is an adequate LT.

Do you really think that in his second year....roughly 6-8 games starting...........we have seen his best?....I am not arguing your statement that he hasn't been adequate.......but I do feel he will get better with time just like any other player.......Will he ever get good enough to be adequate?......No one can really know just yet...I can name several offensive linemen in Giant history that it took 3-4 years before they even played let alone could do the job....William Roberts and Eric Moore (1st round pick)...jump to mind

slipknottin
08-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree with everything except I would add Herzlich on the very positive side, Baas also looked very good and so did Will Hill. I don't think Kuhn looked good at all. I isolated him on about 15 plays and saw none of the "high motor" we were promised. Most times he just got knocked 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Overall a very encouraging start from guys not on the roster or big contributors last year.

He sure looked high motor to me. He got stoned by OL most of the time, but I expected that.

GameTime
08-11-2012, 10:27 AM
what do you learn from the first preseason game?....
Hmmm......there are guys on the team I never heard of. Everyone is rusty. Play calling is NOT what it would be in the reg season. The Secondary plays off. The starters dont want to get hurt. Guys.....preseason is such a dif game then the reg season. The coaches will see much more in camp and practice for their evaluations.

slipknottin
08-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I learned the refs are going to be brutal this season unless they get the real refs back.

How can you call Hosley for holding on his own return.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I learned the refs are going to be brutal this season unless they get the real refs back.

How can you call Hosley for holding on his own return.

the only thing I could come up with on that holding call was they got the wrong number...there is no other explanation..

PRGiant
08-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Refs have got to go.

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 10:41 AM
You have to imagine a deal to be made with the original refs soon. The ball is deep in their court now.

I'm willing to overlook poor public speaking and wrong team/number declarations. But the penultimate review was abysmal. Could have spared us that ugly jailbreak run from Perriloux to end it.

LB5656
08-11-2012, 02:03 PM
what do you learn from the first preseason game?....
Hmmm......there are guys on the team I never heard of. Everyone is rusty. Play calling is NOT what it would be in the reg season. The Secondary plays off. The starters dont want to get hurt. Guys.....preseason is such a dif game then the reg season. The coaches will see much more in camp and practice for their evaluations.

That's not true at all, if anything these games are the #1 evaluation tool for the coaches(that's what they said not me). If practice was more important Ramses Barden would be an all-pro. REMEMBER last 4-5 pre-seasons a new emerging star has shined and really gotten his start on this team(Justin Tuck 2007, K.Phillips, Hakeem Nicks rookie year, Victor Cruz, etc). Practice is half speed and a lot of times two hand touch. These are at least real games at game time speed.

GameTime
08-11-2012, 02:12 PM
That's not true at all, if anything these games are the #1 evaluation tool for the coaches(that's what they said not me). If practice was more important Ramses Barden would be an all-pro. REMEMBER last 4-5 pre-seasons a new emerging star has shined and really gotten his start on this team(Justin Tuck 2007, K.Phillips, Hakeem Nicks rookie year, Victor Cruz, etc). Practice is half speed and a lot of times two hand touch. These are at least real games at game time speed.
practice dictates where these guys will be on the field during the games. The preseason are used for eval of course but what the caoches see in practice is what will used more than the games IMO. I may be wrong of course....

gumby74
08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
practice dictates where these guys will be on the field during the games. The preseason are used for eval of course but what the caoches see in practice is what will used more than the games IMO. I may be wrong of course....

That the new guys we got are ballers. The offense line still gets pushed around.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 02:16 PM

You are referring to all the preseason games....Gametime was talking about the FIRST preseason game

stormblue
08-11-2012, 02:34 PM
its always touch in practiuce or a walk/jog/run through.
there is no tackling in practice.
so the preseason games are at least as important and probably more important than
practice when it comes to roster spots.

it's what you do under real game pressure at full speed that counts.

GameTime
08-11-2012, 02:37 PM
its always touch in practiuce or a walk/jog/run through.
there is no tackling in practice.

true....but you can tell if the players know what they are doing and what the play calls for. So if they go into a preseason game and go at near full speed without knowing what the play is about then they make mistakes at full speed and that is way worse.

stormblue
08-11-2012, 02:45 PM
yeah , i agree