PDA

View Full Version : How Many Wide Receivers Do We Keep

wgsgiants
08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I think we may keep seven wide receivers. One will need to be a special teams ace like Devin Thomas was for us. It may come down to a tough decision between David Douglas and Isaiah Stanback. The following are safe: Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Dominique Dixon, Jerrell Jernigan, Ramses Barden and Rueben Randle. Now the tough decision, David Douglas has been awesome in camp but how about his play on special teams. Isaiah Stanback was on the practice squad last season. He is a big physical specimen. He has played quaterback and wide receiver. He had an awesome catch against Jacksonville. I think at this point I must say Isaiah Stanback to the active roster and David Douglas to the practice squad. I think both will be around in the event of an injury. I think we kept seven wide receivers last season.

Go Giants !!!

BigBlueAllDay
08-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Despite an amazing one-handed TD grab, Isaiah Stanback will have to do more to make the regular season roster. Hopefully he'll get more chances on the field as the preseason games roll on.

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Or we keep Douglas and Stanback, while cutting Barden...

Syverce
08-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I have yet to see this Dixon guy do anything. Let's cut him.

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Let's see how Douglas does in live action. Also depends on which position emerges as the gunner. If a DB emerges from that role, then that may knock the WR tally down one.

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I have yet to see this Dixon guy do anything. Let's cut him.

Every time. he's on the field. I swear this guy is invisible.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 01:23 PM

I was trying to figure out who Dixon is....I just caught up....He probably has a better chance to make the team than Hicks

Moke
08-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Need more time, but Stanbach probably won't get a roster spot IMO.

So far - Nicks, Cruz, Barden, Randle, and then maybe go with Jernigan if he can actually step up.

Jernigan has that ability to get open. You can see it; I just think he's scared

fansince69
08-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Need more time, but Stanbach probably won't get a roster spot IMO.

So far - Nicks, Cruz, Barden, Randle, and then maybe go with Jernigan if he can actually step up.

Jernigan has that ability to get open. You can see it; I just think he's scared

I can almost promise you that Jernigan's spot on the roster is more secure than Barden.....Jernigan is a 3rd round pick ...2nd year and can in theory contribute on special teams

Moke
08-11-2012, 01:29 PM
I can almost promise you that Jernigan's spot on the roster is more secure than Barden.....Jernigan is a 3rd round pick ...2nd year and can in theory contribute on special teams

Sure, why not? But Barden looked impressive so far. I'd like to watch 1 more preseason game to get a glimpse that Jernigan can secure that roster spot in all honesty.

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd take Jernigan over Barden any day, just because of ST versatility.
Does anyone know if Barden is physically unable to contribute on ST or is he just unwilling to?

Carter.525
08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Barden could be gone this year.. I could see keeping him if he was good on special teams, but he doesnt even do that..

Carter.525
08-11-2012, 01:32 PM
I'd take Jernigan over Barden any day, just because of ST versatility.
Does anyone know if Barden is physically unable to contribute on ST or is he just unwilling to?

bingo.....

BigBlue1971
08-11-2012, 01:33 PM
i dont know if Bardens as safe as that! hes going into his 4th year and hes gotta show up especially with Douglas and Standback.

Barden may be gone imo!

Moke
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
But barden really didn't look that bad last night.... Slow, but he had some nice cuts.

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 01:35 PM
We know we have 3 top tier wideouts in Nicks, Cruz, and Randle (who definitely showed his game last night), not to mention the Black Unicorn is more than enough to replace Ballard. Eli will have his weapons, after that I'm more concerned about ST than backups that can play to the same level as the starters...

fansince69
Sure, why not? But Barden looked impressive so far. I'd like to watch 1 more preseason game to get a glimpse that Jernigan can secure that roster spot in all honesty.

If Jernigan hadn't had his arm held....Good chance he catches a TD and then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Moke
Seems like our offense might be better than our defense next year though...

Moke
08-11-2012, 01:36 PM
If Jernigan hadn't had his arm held....Good chance he catches a TD and then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But did it happen? no.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 01:43 PM
But did it happen? no.

The fact that he was in a position to even catch one means he has done more than Barden has in his career....I have defended Barden in the past...he has done basically nothing...Jernigans potential puts him ahead of Barden

Moke
08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
WHAT? WHAT?

Barden had some pretty good flashes in preseason. stop it.

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
WHAT? WHAT?

But what about in the regular season? There was only one productive thing I saw him do all last year: block the 2nd closest guy to Cruz on that 99 yarder against the Jets.

Moke
08-11-2012, 01:46 PM
But what about in the regular season? There was only one productive thing I saw him do all last year: block the 2nd closest guy to Cruz on that 99 yarder against the Jets.

What did Jernigan do in the regular season?

If you say so.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 01:50 PM
WHAT? WHAT?

The only flashes Barden might have had is when he took his clothes off to change to go home after the game........Those 15 catches that he has had in last 3 years are not quite enough for a guy that can't play special teams........Honestly I think he will make the team....but it will be a DJ Ware situation....there just is not anyone else to replace him with yet.........the bottom line is Barden will have to show that hes is much much better than Jernigan for him to make the squad and Jernigan to go home

Moke
08-11-2012, 01:51 PM
It's a social gangbang of hating on Barden. Love it. Did you even watch Barden last night?

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Career 15 REC 174 yds. "Ramses Barden........you have been CHOPPED!"

fansince69
08-11-2012, 01:55 PM
It's a social gangbang of hating on Barden. Love it. Did you even watch Barden last night?

yes I did ...caught 2 balls I think....have you watched him for last 3 years?...your misreading what I am saying here...I do not hate barden ...I root for him ..I have even defended him.....But as of right now ...Jernigan's spot on roster is more secure than Bardens.....In all honesty they probably both make team....but

Jernigans potential>bardens flashes

Moke
08-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Obviously.

craigjr007
08-11-2012, 02:42 PM

theres a dixon on our team !?! he must really be invisible lol

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 03:20 PM
What did Jernigan do in the regular season?

Umm, fielded returns? In the Super Bowl as well?

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 03:22 PM

No, I must have lost him in the crowd, since he didn't do anything special...

stormblue
08-11-2012, 03:41 PM
i'm not sold on either one.
Hixon can return ( at least he catches it).
give those new guys a chance .

its the "Sinorace Moss Syndrome" (SMS) we have already wasted 2 or 3 years on him "learning our system"
so we refuse to cut our losses and keep throwing good money after bad.. bullcrap.

seen enough time wasted on Barden .....give some new blood a chance.
JJ wasn't mugged on that play .....just tight coverage and a missed opportunity to shine.
he needs to hold on to the ball if he expects to hold on to a roster spot.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 03:43 PM
i'm not sold on either one.
Hixon can return ( at least he catches it).
give those new guys a chance .

its the "Sinorace Moss Syndrome" (SMS) we have already wasted 2 or 3 years on him "learning our system"
so we refuse to cut our losses and keep throwing good money after bad.. bullcrap.

seen enough time wasted on Barden .....give some new blood a chance.
JJ wasn't mugged on that play .....just tight coverage and a missed opportunity to shine.
he needs to hold on to the ball if he expects to hold on to a roster spot.

wasn't mugged?...did you even watch the play? his arm was completely held...he would have had to catch it one handed....If it had been real refs it would have been pass interference

stormblue
08-11-2012, 04:00 PM
yes ....and they replayed it 4 times.....roughed up a little , yes but not mugged .
it was an opportunity to make a great play. i think one of of the announcers even commented that
he should have caught it anyway.

now you have me wondering , when was that ...i need to go look again.
someone mentioned this mugging in another thread....i really did not see it that way.

anybody know off-hand exactly (game time ) when this happened.

i distinctly remember being annoyed at JJ ..not the refs.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 04:03 PM
yes ....and they replayed it 4 times.....roughed up a little , yes but not mugged .
it was an opportunity to make a great play. i think one of of the announcers even commented that

someone mentioned this mugging in another thread....i really did not see it that way.

you really should rewatch it...his arm was literally pinned down near his hip.....the ONLY way he catches it is one handed

PRGiant
08-11-2012, 04:16 PM

I think you mean the passed thrown his way that it was almost intercepted, but people are talking about the pass in the endzone where he got his arm held pretty clear.

stormblue
08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
ok , i rewatched the first drive and i saw the mugging ......my bad.

still , woulda been a nice one handed grab .

gmen46
08-11-2012, 04:34 PM
ok , i rewatched the first drive and i saw the mugging ......my bad.

still , woulda been a nice one handed grab .

You mean like Stanback's one handed grab TD when his arm was held? You're right, it woulda been nice to see Jernigan look like he was fighting for a roster spot, like Stanback clearly is.