PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Andre Brown should earn a roster spot?

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Based on what we saw of him last night? I feel as though he's the best replacement we can find for the now-departed Jacobs. And he doesn't seem as afraid to hit the pile straight-on as Jacobs has been these past few years (Although he needs to learn some technique to not hit his own linemen)...

Moke
08-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I think Brown deserves a roster spot.

I did like what I saw from DJ Ware as well, but I'll go Bradshaw, Wilson, and Brown

FBomb
08-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Brown over Ware all day!!

Moke
08-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Brown over Ware all day!!

If I could rep you (if we had this function) I'd rep you all day.

BeatYale
08-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Beware of Brown.

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought like he looked better overall compared to Scott last preseason. If they go with four RBs, I think he deserves a role.

Moke
08-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I thought like he looked better overall compared to Scott last preseason.

Scott got how many chances last year? Yeah thought so

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Last preseason? Plenty.

Moke
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Last preseason? Plenty.

Not plenty enough after he fumbled the ball and Tommy C didn't really give him that many chances. Scott should be given more opportunity to prove himself next preseason game. Take out bradshaw - don't give him anymore snaps, we know he's making the team.

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Not plenty enough after he fumbled the ball and Tommy C didn't really give him that many chances. Scott should be given more opportunity to prove himself next preseason game. Take out bradshaw - don't give him anymore snaps, we know he's making the team.

He only played one series before they went to DJ Ware...

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Are you talking about preseason or regular season? He had more than enough reps in the preseason to see what type of player he is which is rather linear. That's not necessarily an insult, but he is far more dependent on the lanes of the offensive line than any of the other RBs on roster.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 12:37 PM
But he did show last preseason that if he is given a lane he is gone very quickly

Moke
08-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Our offensive line was amazing

Toadofsteel
08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
But he did show last preseason that if he is given a lane he is gone very quickly

We've got our speedster now in Wilson, who is much more versatile than Scott and not dependent on having a running lane... Brown bulked up in the offseason and can change up the running game compared to Bradshaw and Wilson (and Ware for that matter) much better than Scott can. If it came down to those two, I'd take Brown over Scott. That said, I'd take both of them over Ware at this point, especially if both of them plus Wilson can learn pass protection quickly...

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Again, I was never taking a shot at Scott, nor doubting his speed. I voice one perspective of Brown from LAST SEASON in regards to him deserving a roster spot to which the original question was asking, and am met with smug confrontation by someone tightly nuthugging Scott. Scott looked like a very linear player last season. People love to parade his 99 yarder agaisnt the Bears, but the guy ran straight up the back of Brewer, slipped and just ran up an open lane, then becomes a forum demigod.

Moke
08-11-2012, 12:58 PM
jesus christ. give him more chances dude.

penguinfarmer
08-11-2012, 01:01 PM
jesus christ. give him more chances dude.
Am I with holding snaps from him? Am I blaspheming Scott? I state a preference in player typology. You jump. I don't think you're one to be expressing terms of exasperation here.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 01:08 PM
We've got our speedster now in Wilson, who is much more versatile than Scott and not dependent on having a running lane... Brown bulked up in the offseason and can change up the running game compared to Bradshaw and Wilson (and Ware for that matter) much better than Scott can. If it came down to those two, I'd take Brown over Scott. That said, I'd take both of them over Ware at this point, especially if both of them plus Wilson can learn pass protection quickly...

I understand exactly what you are saying....and I agree with all of it....I have never been much of a fan of Ware ...but he did look good last night.....In the long run I think ware should be last on that list....unfortunately in the present....behind Bradshaw he is the most reliable(as in ...holds ball...knows system ..can protect Eli) of all of them.......Honestly....I would not want to be making some of the decisions that this coaching staff will have to make....cause there are about 10 guys that probably are good enough to occupy like 4 spots

Cool Papa B.
08-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't know. I'm not sold on either Brown or Ware. Bradshaw and Wilson are the only guys I feel comfortable with at HB.

chasjay
08-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Does he have an injury history after the 2009 Achilles? I guess I should know, but I don't.

NewConvert
08-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Does he have an injury history after the 2009 Achilles? I guess I should know, but I don't.

He's had two injuries during his entire career...A broken bone in his foot his soph/jr yr in college and the achilles his rookie season...Other than that he's been a very healthy back

BlueSanta
08-11-2012, 08:20 PM
The battle is between Ware, Scott and Brown. We have not seen Scott yet, but we know the coaches have always liked ware more than the fans. I thought maybe this was the year Brown made the team over Ware, but just based on last night I would say that Ware is still in the lead.

gmen0820
08-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Don't think there is a spot for Brown. That achilles injury is always a toughy -- especially for a RB -- can't expect to be the same player before you are forgotten. Brown = forgotten.

miked1958
08-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Brown over Ware all day!! But can brown protect the QB like ware can?

miked1958
08-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Based on what we saw of him last night? I feel as though he's the best replacement we can find for the now-departed Jacobs. And he doesn't seem as afraid to hit the pile straight-on as Jacobs has been these past few years (Although he needs to learn some technique to not hit his own linemen)...SpeKing of Jacobs, did anyone see the nice 24 yard scamper that he had? Looked nice. Other then that he didn't do much

Moke
08-12-2012, 01:09 AM
SpeKing of Jacobs, did anyone see the nice 24 yard scamper that he had? Looked nice. Other then that he didn't do much

It looked pretty nice. He's done that plenty of times with us running along the outside. I wish him luck there

giantsfan420
08-12-2012, 01:50 AM
jacobs is gonna have a good yr behind that line.

gmen- i dunno. brown looked awfully quick and agile last night. i liked his little jump cut after contact at the LOS one run, and he is prob the most physical back we have outside of bradshaw. i think he could be a good short yardage back. he looked quicker than he was before the achilles thing which surprised me bc i remeber reading that he actually did get faster and quicker and i couldnt believe it.

GiantLegend
08-12-2012, 02:03 AM
My ideal line is Bradshaw, Wilson, Brown, and Ware.

I like the idea of having 4 backs, with Hynoski the lone FB and Pascoe can fill in if needed.

M00KIE
08-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Don't think there is a spot for Brown. That achilles injury is always a toughy -- especially for a RB -- can't expect to be the same player before you are forgotten. Brown = forgotten.

Yeah, Curtis Martin was horrible.

gmen0820
08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah, Curtis Martin was horrible.You're disputing that the Achilles injury is tough to come back from for a RB?

yoeddy
08-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Let's see what Brown can do in the 1st half of a preseason game before assessing. We've had plenty of guys who have looked great in the 2nd half of preseason games (eg. Keith Elias) who end up not looking so great with the starters or even the 2nd stringers...

RoanokeFan
08-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Based on what we saw of him last night? I feel as though he's the best replacement we can find for the now-departed Jacobs. And he doesn't seem as afraid to hit the pile straight-on as Jacobs has been these past few years (Although he needs to learn some technique to not hit his own linemen)...

Hopefully, every player on the final 53 will have "earned" his spot. Every season we release players we'd like to keep because someone else played better.

myles2424
08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Browns was never a slouch RB in college, but he has a extensive injury history.....definetly bothers me

GMENAGAIN
08-12-2012, 04:04 PM
You're disputing that the Achilles injury is tough to come back from for a RB?

As you well know, I am not a big believer in Brown, mostly because he's never been the same because of his injury.

However, I thought that he looked very explosive in the game the other night. I was a little surprised . . . .

Although he did get blown up trying to block a pass rusher . . . . not going to help his chances against Ware.

thegiantsrule10
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
I think ware is going to get the third spot, he played well.

RoanokeFan
08-12-2012, 04:15 PM

He dropped too many balls