PDA

View Full Version : Seriously what is it going to take?......

BigBlueFanNJ
12-12-2011, 04:36 AM
To get this D ready for the playoffs? I mean we can do some damage in the playoffs if we could just get the defense up to an acceptable level!!

I really am at a loss if it is even possible at this point!! I mean we got holes everywhere! Weak pass rush, rookie LB's soft soft soft secondary!

I've heard all the knee jerk answers more blitzing, man coverage yada yada but serious can this defense be made playoff ready or is this the best we got?

And JC can we get some stops on 3rd down ?

threenout
12-12-2011, 04:43 AM
This defense is a total joke. There is no lead that is save or down and distance that cannot be made.

Great win against a hated rival but I have no confidence going forward. Injuries have to be considered but I have never seen so many blown coverages and receivers running free in all my years of watching the Giants.

Not sure there is a solution with these current players, unless JPP can be cloned.

miked1958
12-12-2011, 07:19 AM
To get this D ready for the playoffs? I mean we can do some damage in the playoffs if we could just get the defense up to an acceptable level!!

I really am at a loss if it is even possible at this point!! I mean we got holes everywhere! Weak pass rush, rookie LB's soft soft soft secondary!

I've heard all the knee jerk answers more blitzing, man coverage yada yada but serious can this defense be made playoff ready or is this the best we got?

This D has serious issues. It is what it is. I say lets just ride this wave as far as it takes us. We know we have no business thinking we make a deep run. We all expect to be eliminated so why keep complaining. Lots to fix on D in offseason, but until then let's just make the best of it

gumby742
12-12-2011, 08:25 AM
a new dc. we get like 2 3 and outs a game.

SweetZombieJesus
12-12-2011, 08:58 AM
They are on pace to give up 441 points (2nd worst in team history, behind '66 Giants who gave up 501).

Worse than Sheridan's year.

TroyArcher
12-12-2011, 10:16 AM
To get this D ready for the playoffs? I mean we can do some damage in the playoffs if we could just get the defense up to an acceptable level!! I really am at a loss if it is even possible at this point!! I mean we got holes everywhere! Weak pass rush, rookie LB's soft soft soft secondary! I've heard all the knee jerk answers more blitzing, man coverage yada yada but serious can this defense be made playoff ready or is this the best we got? And JC can we get some stops on 3rd down ?</P>

I can not see this defense turning it around this year. Too many holes. The good news is Eli and company can put up alot of points. If Tuck can somehow return to his prior level they could put on a good pass rush and slow the other teams down but I still don't think that would help. </P>

CDN_G-FAN
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
there are so many missing pieces on this D what can you do?</P>

we only have one healthy starting DE. DTs are really inconsistent.</P>

We're signing guys off the street at LBer and have a converted DE at that position.</P>

The secondary is held together with duct tape right now (prince is playing like a rookie who missed training camp).</P>

there's only so much you can do.</P>

best thing now is if Osi can get healthy,and that's not saying much since teams can run on us at will.</P>

burier
12-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Ok so Kenny Phillips will hopefully be back next week so that should eleviate some of the busted converages you saw last night.

Also remember that the cowboys have alot of crazy recievers. They're reciever corps is really really good. We're not gonna have to deal with anything like that until we play them again..and then not again until we play the Packers.

The problems with the Run are concerning but we've been getting our tails whipped in the run all season. our DTs aren't good enough and our Linebackers arent good enough but We do have Boley...If Canty can pick it up a little we should be ok.

Other than that I dont know. We've gotta get better more consistent pass rush and we can't leave rookies alone with big play threats.

CDN_G-FAN
12-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Ok so Kenny Phillips will hopefully be back next week so that should eleviate some of the busted converages you saw last night. Also remember that the cowboys have alot of crazy recievers. They're reciever corps is really really good. We're not gonna have to deal with anything like that until we play them again..and then not again until we play the Packers. The problems with the Run are concerning but we've been getting our tails whipped in the run all season. <FONT size=4>our DTs aren't good enough and our Linebackers arent good enough</FONT> but We do have Boley...If Canty can pick it up a little we should be ok. Other than that I dont know. We've gotta get better more consistent pass rush and <FONT size=4>we can't leave rookies alone with big play threats</FONT>.</P>

everyone's busting fewell and he deserves some of it, but those points highlighted there are as true as you can get talking about this defence.</P>

guys want to see pressure on D, but other than webster who the HELL feels comfortable with any of our secondary in man coverage? Not me.</P>

without tuck healthy, and with DTs that are REALLY struggling, what can we do?</P>

all we can hope for is that some of these young guys (joseph, williams, prince) will get much better over the next couple games.</P>

GameTime
12-12-2011, 10:30 AM
there are many holes but the players who are the legit starters...i.e. Tuck , Canty, Joseph, ect. Have to have to have to step it up and play better. The secondary is a ****ing mess. The saying is "not on the same page".....they are even using the same books and the books they have are in four different languages....they are a confused mess.....

harrycarson
12-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I really think we just have to find a better sequence of calling the defenses we currently have. We cannot change everything this late i the season. THe best we can do is hope KP gets back to erase some busted coverages, get OSI back to add depth to the pass rush...I think this team has learned alot from the past 4 weeks of offenses we have seen and hey, we an only get better at this point. Gentlemen, WE ARE IN 1st place in our dvision right now with Washington coming up at home, we are in good shape. GO BUCS and Eagles, hoping that last game will be irrelevant.

BJacobs aka The Problem
12-12-2011, 10:35 AM

That's easy:

A starting MLB
A starting CB
A starting FS
4th & 5th string CB's
Another DE

I think that should do it right there.

Btw, anyone notice that Tratton played a few snaps at DE? Both Tuck and JPP were out for a few series.

Dwinsballgames
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
The confusion is the thing that gets me the most. I can understand if Ross gets beat because he doesn't have the skills that TT has playing man coverage, but how can these guys week-in and week-out make the same stupid mistakes in coverage in which they leave guys wide open down the sideline or over the middle? Guys like Ross and Rolleare freakkin veterans for cryin out loud. They should not be making these kinds of mental mistakes.

giantsforce
12-12-2011, 10:41 AM

And JC can we get some stops on 3rd down ?The answer is simple: We need new coaching staff and a GM that can address the needs of the team. There is no other solution. I think the suffering will continue as long as Reese and Coughlin are there. How on earth do you explain that we can score 2 TD's in 3 min and in the first qrt alone we get inside their 20 and we settle for FG and INT's? So defense is not the only problem. We have serious problems at ST and offense. When was the last time the Giants ST scored a TD or gave our offense a good position or did not allow a big return? The player talent is mostly there. Unfortunately, we have coaching staff that is "genius" for their own good.

Rusty192
12-12-2011, 10:51 AM
there are many holes but the players who are the legit starters...i.e. Tuck , Canty, Joseph, ect. Have to have to have to step it up and play better. The secondary is a ****ing mess. The saying is "not on the same page".....they are even using the same books and the books they have are in four different languages....they are a confused mess.....I don't even think they are in the same library.

GeoGoGo
12-12-2011, 11:00 AM
The confusion is the thing that gets me the most. I can understand if Ross gets beat because he doesn't have the skills that TT has playing man coverage, but how can these guys week-in and week-out make the same stupid mistakes in coverage in which they leave guys wide open down the sideline or over the middle?* Guys like Ross and Rolle*are freakkin veterans for cryin out loud. They should not be making these kinds of mental mistakes.

This.

Like you say, Ross doesn't have the skills and I can accept that. What is not acceptable are the repetative mental lapses. That has to come down to coaching.

You can not keep having blown coverages like that. This is not high school football. I know we have a ton of injuries but they are all professional football players, right? Should they at least know the play calls and their responsibilites in those calls?

Inexcusable. That said, huge win G Men and welcome back to first place!!! God, it feels great to out Cowboy the Cowboys! How many times have we been on the other end of a game like this?

You can't spell elite without ELI!!!

Mr Excitement
12-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Tuck didnt even look like he was trying last night..the DC stinks...but I think its lack of talent as well...

burier
12-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Ok so Kenny Phillips will hopefully be back next week so that should eleviate some of the busted converages you saw last night. Also remember that the cowboys have alot of crazy recievers. They're reciever corps is really really good. We're not gonna have to deal with anything like that until we play them again..and then not again until we play the Packers. The problems with the Run are concerning but we've been getting our tails whipped in the run all season. <FONT size=4>our DTs aren't good enough and our Linebackers arent good enough</FONT> but We do have Boley...If Canty can pick it up a little we should be ok. Other than that I dont know. We've gotta get better more consistent pass rush and <FONT size=4>we can't leave rookies alone with big play threats</FONT>.</P>

everyone's busting fewell and he deserves some of it, but those points highlighted there are as true as you can get talking about this defence.</P>

guys want to see pressure on D, but other than webster who the HELL feels comfortable with any of our secondary in man coverage?** Not me.</P>

without tuck healthy, and with DTs that are REALLY struggling, what can we do?</P>

all we can hope for is that some of these young guys (joseph, williams, prince) will get much better over the next couple games.</P>

I've had mixed feelings about Fewell. Last season I wasn't in love with him but recognized he was a head and shoulders improvement over Sheridan. Also he seemed to get us closer to what Spags was doing as far as creating favorable down and distance and then bringing pressure.

He's more or less abandoned that strategy this season because of personel issues but the D still isn't producing so at some point the Buck has to stop.

We don't have good enough players but we don't have a D coordinator who can compensate. I guess what I'm saying is there's enough blame to go around.

Nothing crazy is going to happen this late in the season (Though a few years ago when the Colts won the SB their nonexistant Defense suddenly came alive during the playoff run)

All we know is that Eli gives us a shot...If JJP can force a fumble or get a big sack here or there we could shock some people.