PDA

View Full Version : Paul dottino-last nights commentator review

LB5656
08-11-2012, 03:54 PM
...........please don't ever let that man do the play-by-play again for the Giants. I tried watching the game again today on DVR and I just put it on mute. Atrocious.

dave56dj
08-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Could not have been worse then jacksonville guys who I had to wacth on game rewind. They called Hosley - Hoskey the entire night even when the camera's showed his name on his jersey they refused to say it correctly. They hyped the jags while being down 24-7. They called Tryon - TYRON all night. I realize a pre - season game is filled with players who aren't usually running with the 1's but man these guys did not do an ounce of homework, which is funny cause they killed the replacement refs (who were rough) but failed to realize how bad they were.

LB5656
08-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Could not have been worse then jacksonville guys who I had to wacth on game rewind. They called Hosley - Hoskey the entire night even when the camera's showed his name on his jersey they refused to say it correctly. They hyped the jags while being down 24-7. They called Tryon - TYRON all night. I realize a pre - season game is filled with players who aren't usually running with the 1's but man these guys did not do an ounce of homework, which is funny cause they killed the replacement refs (who were rough) but failed to realize how bad they were.

hahaha I agree. It's so unbearable.

EJ Blue
08-11-2012, 04:40 PM
I don't think he was that bad, and it's taken me like 4 years to finally get used to him.

Him and Schmeelk are two of the weirdest guys I've seen.

GMENAGAIN
08-11-2012, 04:51 PM
...........please don't ever let that man do the play-by-play again for the Giants. I tried watching the game again today on DVR and I just put it on mute. Atrocious.

Was that the guy who was on with Banks? I didn't know who he was, but he was terrible. You could tell that he was annoying Banks . . .

fansince69
08-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Sorry the game I watched had the Jag announcers....Where was Bob Poppa?

LB5656
08-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Was that the guy who was on with Banks? I didn't know who he was, but he was terrible. You could tell that he was annoying Banks . . .
yessir that was him. and yeah it was def annoying him. and him and Schmelk are really weird dudes hahaha. Dottino is like that really annoying guy from Staten Island who think's he's really smart but is actually half idiot. "ADRIAN TRACY FROM WAKE FOREST WITH A GREAT PLAY!" lmao.

Roosevelt
08-11-2012, 06:06 PM

lol.
In all fairness though, the broadcast was crap. The audio quality and mix was terrible, and the snowy picture coming from the camera in the endzone sucked as well.

Roosevelt
08-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Sorry the game I watched had the Jag announcers....Where was Bob Poppa?

Papa is in London broadcasting Olympic boxing.

nhpgiantsfan
08-11-2012, 06:15 PM
One cool thing aout Dottino being there is that he knows alot aout the players from watching them in camp every day.

And Banks is better on radio. He feels he needs to explain every single play. It was a little overkill.

jomo
08-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Was that the guy who was on with Banks? I didn't know who he was, but he was terrible. You could tell that he was annoying Banks . . .Bank, who I loved as a player and like as an analyst during the season did not have his best performance last night either. He continually called the wrong player making the play. On one play, Will Hill blew up a screen play and he gave the credit to Herz. In fairness to the guys in the booth, I'll bet they had terrible support from their monitors and producers. It seemed like there were like 3 cameras at the game.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Papa is in London broadcasting Olympic boxing.

thank you...

BlueMetal 40
08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Dotino does some of the interviews and video pieces on Giants.com. Have to agree with the OP, he is irritating.

GMENAGAIN
08-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Bank, who I loved as a player and like as an analyst during the season did not have his best performance last night either. He continually called the wrong player making the play. On one play, Will Hill blew up a screen play and he gave the credit to Herz. In fairness to the guys in the booth, I'll bet they had terrible support from their monitors and producers. It seemed like there were like 3 cameras at the game.

The whole broacast was very amateurish . . . .

ponch inda face
08-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Dottino wasn't very good. I saw him on Mike Francecsa's show earlier in the week when he was in Albany and it was really awkward. I don't like mike, but i actually felt sorry him Paul was talking really close to his face and in a similar machine gun style that we saw on Friday. I think he's decent when doing interviews as he asks pretty good questions. Commentating is not a strength.

As far as Banks, I think he's good with Papa, but i think he's also good with good production support. He didn't have any of that yesterday. As a color commentator, you kinda need the ability to discuss and breakdown plays that just occurred. I don't recall seeing more than a handful of replays all night. It would have been good to see a slow mo replay every now and then to carefully watch players that we've only heard reports on.

fourth&forever
08-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Dottino looks like a cross between the "close talker" on Seinfeld and a passionate ax murderer.

I'd love to see Dottino interview Pat Hanlon inches from his face, just to see what would happen.

This guy should to be taking valium before the broadcasts instead of PCP.

DVision
08-12-2012, 10:43 AM
They were HORRIBLE!!! Best part was when Banks was drawing circles all over the screen with the telestrator and was like "...I'm all over the place!!" Lol

ponch inda face
08-12-2012, 10:46 AM
They were HORRIBLE!!! Best part was when Banks was drawing circles all over the screen with the telestrator and was like "...I'm all over the place!!" Lol

Hahaha. If i remember right, there was a play that Will Hill blew up at the line of scrimmage. On probably one of the only replays i saw last night, he circled another guy and Hill came in from the other side of the screen. Hilarious.

FBomb
08-12-2012, 10:52 AM
It was like watching a High School AV dept broadcast. The NFL should be pissed about how completely inept the broadcast and the officiating looked. NOT something you would expect from them.

nygmen1020
08-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Hopefully Bob Papa will return soon after the olympics are over

LB5656
08-12-2012, 06:48 PM
It was like watching a High School AV dept broadcast. The NFL should be pissed about how completely inept the broadcast and the officiating looked. NOT something you would expect from them.

i agree. i think you all put it very well. i know it's the preseason but c'mon that was pathetic.

RagTime Blue
08-12-2012, 10:06 PM

1. Dottino was painful to listen to. .
2. The sideline cameras were OK, but the field cameras were snowy.
3. I remember once watching Carr throw a screen pass, and then the camera stayed on Carr (with an empty hand) for the next 5 seconds.
4. The Audio was extremely bad. It was OK until they mixed it up for the play "proper". That is, just before, during, and just after the play had offensive feedback.

jomo
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
1. Dottino was painful to listen to. .
2. The sideline cameras were OK, but the field cameras were snowy.
3. I remember once watching Carr throw a screen pass, and then the camera stayed on Carr (with an empty hand) for the next 5 seconds.
4. The Audio was extremely bad. It was OK until they mixed it up for the play "proper". That is, just before, during, and just after the play had offensive feedback.Don't leave out Banks. I loved him as a player and generally like his commentary during the year but he was very weak, often making the wrong call on who made the play as well as down and distance. It would have been a better game with silence and no officials.

You would think that if the NFL wants to put pressure on the regular officials to get back, they'd hire competant replacements under the age of 70. Good God Roger, what the hell are you thinking in putting those disoriented dinosaurs out there?